|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

do drivers wear out?

I'm just curious...do drivers wear out? I have a Taylor Made Burner Bubble, s90, circa 2000. I've never been a long hitter, for whatever reason, and I've always wondered if maybe i needed a different driver.

I would recommend upgrading.

The newest isn't necessary, but you're defiantly well behind the times.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by martyepp
    I'm just curious...do drivers wear out? I have a Taylor Made Burner Bubble, s90, circa 2000. I've never been a long hitter, for whatever reason, and I've always wondered if maybe i needed a different driver.
    460cc driver head could be more forgiving, but it's tough to tell because I can hit my 2004 BB 360cc head as well as the 460cc TEE head ... new shaft technology definitely helps... Go ahead and try a few

To answer your question, yes. Drivers can wear out. This is more common with players that have higher clubhead speeds. The face basically goes flat and loses it's COR. Repeated impact with a golf ball can weaken and distort the thin walled face and can greatly reduce performance. In extreme cases a driver will experience a complete failure or cracked face. All of this depends on the way the product was manufactured and to what types of tolerences.

perhaps this might explain, to a degree, why i hit my adams tight lies 3 wood as long as my BB. but, then, my "tight lies" is no spring chicken either.

I bought my first metal headed wood in 1979, a 9 degree Taylor "Pittsburgh Persimmon." I beat thousands of balls with it at the range and played a goodly number of rounds with it until one day something didn't feel right because the ball was going left-right-high-low with what felt like the same solid sweet-spot contact. The range proprietor from whom I bought the club new looked at it with his magnifying glass putting a machinist's metal ruler across the face and saw that the face had collapsed a quarter inch inward from its original shape. It took a couple of weeks but Taylor sent a new one to me. It was the second generation without the "Pittsburgh Persimmon" written on the head and was not as good as the original.

Quote Originally Posted by martyepp
    Why would you still be playing that club when you could go to Play it Again sports and get a newer one for maybe $30? I think you need to ask yourself why you're such a cheap SOB.

Yes, drivers wear out. Old ones wear out, but the newer designs do as well, because of face thinness (as others have mentioned).

I'd bet a ten year old driver isn't at its best. I am considering replacing the head on my HiBore XL driver, just cuz it's almost four years old and I hit it pretty hard. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    Yes, drivers wear out. Old ones wear out, but the newer designs do as well, because of face thinness (as others have mentioned).

I'd bet a ten year old driver isn't at its best. I am considering replacing the head on my HiBore XL driver, just cuz it's almost four years old and I hit it pretty hard. :-)
    The cool thing is you can get brand new XL 9.5 drivers for $100 or less right now on closeout!

Quote Originally Posted by SDB1
    The cool thing is you can get brand new XL 9.5 drivers for $100 or less right now on closeout!
    Not only that but you can use the top of the driver as a soup bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    Since the release of the square driver HiBores are off the hook as being the ugliest clubs available!

I call BS. Everyone knows it's a soup ladle.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    I call BS. It's a soup ladle.
    Actually, you could use the original hibore driver as the ladle and then the hibore XLS as the soup bowl. I don't know, I think I'd rather play a square driver than the hibore.

Actually, you could use the original hibore driver as the ladle and then the hibore XLS as the soup bowl. I don't know, I think I'd rather play a square driver than the hibore.
    If it performed I guess you could get used to the look of that monstrosity but I demoed one once and thought it felt terrible compared to my 460 Launcher. Don't even get me started on that square Callaway FTi POS.

Now where the f#ck am I?

If it performed I guess you could get used to the look of that monstrosity but I demoed one once and thought it felt terrible compared to my 460 Launcher. Don't even get me started on that square Callaway FTi POS.
    The 460 launcher is one of the best looking and best performing drivers of all time. The 460 Ti was even better looking with a darker head and dark blue shaft. A true sleeper. The hibore is an abomination and should only be used for hunting prarie dogs.

The 460 launcher is one of the best looking and best performing drivers of all time. The 460 Ti was even better looking with a darker head and dark blue shaft. A true sleeper. The hibore is an abomination and should only be used for hunting prarie dogs.
    I owned both of those. The original HiBore was garbage. The XL is my favorite. It is better better than the earlier Launcher 460 Comp(my previous favorite). The XLS is just a really ugly XL and the Monster is just downright disgusting! The newer Launcher was passable and then they screwed it up with the DST.

I tend to wear out irons a lot faster than other people because I hit the ball in the exact same location every single time. Four years ago I was observing the face of my 8 iron. It appeared as though letters were starting to appear on the face. 2 years later I took another close look at the face and I could clearly read the word Titleist spelled backwards.

I tend to wear out irons a lot faster than other people because I hit the ball in the exact same location every single time. Four years ago I was observing the hosel of my 8 iron. It appeared as though letters were starting to appear on it. 2 years later I took another close look at the hosel and I could clearly read the word Titleist spelled backwards.
    That must've looked pretty cool grooved into the hosel.

Now where the f#ck am I?

All of my irons read "famousdavis" down the hosel in 24k gold.

I am anticipating FON coming in and posting the egg carton full of broken balls again . . . .

Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SDB1
    I owned both of those. The original HiBore was garbage. The XL is my favorite. It is better better than the earlier Launcher 460 Comp(my previous favorite). The XLS is just a really ugly XL and the Monster is just downright disgusting! The newer Launcher was passable and then they screwed it up with the DST.
    COMPLETELY agree. The original HiBore was a backspin machine, couldn't hit it out of my own shadow. Pros hated it and Cleveland had to make a new one.

The HiBore XL is a solid sounding, great feeling, perfect launching (with the right shaft of course) driving machine. You get over the looks quickly, because it feels and hits so dammn well.

I haven't even TRIED the new big ones though. I have the hybrids and the strong 3 wood in XLS, but the heads are so much smaller that the design is more a brand badge than a feat of engineering. But the XLS and the Monster just don't look right to me. I'd switch to a Launcher head before I went to XLS in the driver.

hit some today, just could not MISS with the 13* three wood with the X flex. Bangin'. Driver good too... I might have to get on the course again... with my new 64* Adams flop wedge the golf course will beg me to stop thrashing it! :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

COMPLETELY agree. The original HiBore was a backspin machine, couldn't hit it out of my own shadow. Pros hated it and Cleveland had to make a new one.

The HiBore XL is a solid sounding, great feeling, perfect launching (with the right shaft of course) driving machine. You get over the looks quickly, because it feels and hits so dammn well.

I haven't even TRIED the new big ones though. I have the hybrids and the strong 3 wood in XLS, but the heads are so much smaller that the design is more a brand badge than a feat of engineering. But the XLS and the Monster just don't look right to me. I'd switch to a Launcher head before I went to XLS in the driver.

hit some today, just could not MISS with the 13* three wood with the X flex. Bangin'. Driver good too... I might have to get on the course again... with my new 64* Adams flop wedge the golf course will beg me to stop thrashing it! :-)
    Could you please stop calling it a flop wedge?

POTD without a doubt
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

POTD without a doubt
    What is POTD?

What is POTD?
    Post of the day.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    Post of the day.
    My questions "what is POTD" is post of the day?

We had an irony thread one time. It got me so confused that I'm not sure if this should be in that thread or not, which in itself is ironic....I think.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

for those having trouble keeping up...

when "POTD" is called, the POTD is the post that is quoted above the call for "POTD".

something about Titleist being grooved into the Hosel of your irons, I think. ;-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    I am anticipating FON coming in and posting the egg carton full of broken balls again . . . .

Yeah like THAT proves anything.

I'm sure if we all hung around a driving range for a few hours we'd all be able to collect an egg carton of balls to post on the internet and brag about.

Now where the f#ck am I?

No.

That is all.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

What else can you call it? All the other names are taken.

Gap wedge 50-52* - Taken
    Sand wedge 54-56* - Taken
    Lob wedge 58-60* - Taken
    X Wedge 64* - Pelz calls it an X Wedge which automatically rules out this option.

Yes folks, 64* Flop wedge it is.

Now where the f#ck am I?

World Woods Golf Club - Pine Barrens course
    What else can you call it? All the other names are taken.

Gap wedge 50-52* - Taken
    Sand wedge 54-56* - Taken
    Lob wedge 58-60* - Taken
    X Wedge 64* - Pelz calls it an X Wedge which automatically rules out this option.

Yes folks, 64* Flop wedge it is.
    Why can't we call it a flat wedge?
    SMT 455db 9* - Accuflex VS339 X
    Sonartec SS-03 - TT DG S400
    KZG Forged Blades 3-PW - Rifle Project X 7.0
    KZG Forged Raw 52*, 56*, 60* - Rifle Spinner 6.5
    Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1
    Titleist ProV1x
    Cash for the beer cart and a quarter to mark my ball

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_h
    Why can't we call it a flat wedge?
    As in short for "Flat Out Stupid" wedge then I agree.

Can't understand anyone wanting a 64* wedge myself.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I call BS on all this talk of drivers wearing out. Sure the face integrity may weaken over time and possible eventually cave in, but I don't buy this talk of the performance being affected by wear and tear. This notion of the face wearing out is almost as ridculous as the myth that shafts lose their flex over time. If the face of your driver hasn't caved in, it will play as well as the day you got it.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

World Woods Golf Club - Pine Barrens course
    As in short for "Flat Out Stupid" wedge then I agree.

Can't understand anyone wanting a 64* wedge myself.
    I played around with ultra high loft wedges for a short while a few years ago.

I had a 56/12 sand wedge lying around and bent it to 68 just for kicks. Couldn't do anything with it except hit low line drives with the bounce all the way up to 24 degrees.

So I grabbed a .350" driver shaft and experimented. It fit fine with the .355" taper hosel.

Sold the concept to Cleveland.

They called it the Hi-Bore or some stupid sh!t.
    SMT 455db 9* - Accuflex VS339 X
    Sonartec SS-03 - TT DG S400
    KZG Forged Blades 3-PW - Rifle Project X 7.0
    KZG Forged Raw 52*, 56*, 60* - Rifle Spinner 6.5
    Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1
    Titleist ProV1x
    Cash for the beer cart and a quarter to mark my ball

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    I call BS on all this talk of drivers wearing out. Sure the face integrity may weaken over time and possible eventually cave in, but I don't buy this talk of the performance being affected by wear and tear. This notion of the face wearing out is almost as ridculous as the myth that shafts lose their flex over time. If the face of your driver hasn't caved in, it will play as well as the day you got it.
    I know they used to deform a bit with older clubs. I had a Cleveland Quadpro driver about 10 years ago that lost its pop. I was in a golf store doing a comparison with other drivers and the dude who worked their put a business card both horizontally and vertically on the face of my driver and a new Quadpro. Mine had lost a bit of the bulge and roll. Don't know if it happens nowadays very often.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

if you're not swinging faster than 105mph consistently then it's highly unlikely that you are weakening the titanium, but, then I'm not a metallurgist.
    ...oh sht...OH sht...OH SHI...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tweaky
    if you're not swinging faster than 105mph consistently then it's highly unlikely that you are weakening the titanium, but, then I'm not a metallurgist.
    Lacking formal qualifications, training, or even a remote subject knowledge should not deter you from posting sweeeping statements. This is a golf discussion forum, theories here do not need to be backed up by logic or evidence.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Lacking formal qualifications, training, or even a remote subject knowledge should not deter you from posting sweeeping statements. This is a golf discussion forum, theories here do not need to be backed up by logic or evidence.
    thanks, I was a bit concerned that I might come off as a bigger dipsh!t than I really am.
    ...oh sht...OH sht...OH SHI...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tweaky
    thanks, I was a bit concerned that I might come off as a bigger dipsh!t than I really am.
    Your concerns are materializing.

Metal fatigue can occur in drivers after a period of time. It's just like if you take a piece of any metal item that can be flexed somewhat and keep bending it back and forth. Eventually metal fatigue sets in and it gets weaker. Same with a driver. How long this takes is anyone's guess but it is real.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelman
    Metal fatigue can occur in drivers after a period of time. It's just like if you take a piece of any metal item that can be flexed somewhat and keep bending it back and forth. Eventually metal fatigue sets in and it gets weaker. Same with a driver. How long this takes is anyone's guess but it is real.
    I've occasionally worried about the effects of bending them back and forth alot. Over time they can get stretched out a bit from the pounding and require replacement. I always seem to be looking for potential replacements, but then I'm single.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I've occasionally worried about the effects of bending them back and forth alot. Over time they can get stretched out a bit from the pounding and require replacement.
    Logic would dictate too that hard as hell range balls would do more damage than say a standard Pro V1 ball or balls softer than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelman
    Logic would dictate too that hard as hell range balls would do more damage than say a standard Pro V1 ball or balls softer than that.
    Jeez, I'd hate to have to hit them with golf balls, but if that what it takes to make them go away.....
    GR lives...

Just like a stray dog. Feed it once and the damn thing won't go away.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Thread Information