|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Try to corect swing flaws on the fly or play the swing you brought that day?

I have been blocking the ball right a lot lately with my iron approaches and not having time to hit the range between rounds it is sometimes tough to work these issues out of my swing. Just a week or two ago I played a round where I blocked a 7 iron approach on the 2nd hole and continued to do so for most of my round including a final blocked 9 iron approach on the 18th green. Basically I was doing it all day. Rather than try to change/adjust anything specific in my swing I tried to just keep swinging naturally and relaxed figuring the flaw would eventually work it's way out of my swing. But it never did. It was frustrating because my driving was reasonably sound that day but I kept missing greens from handy positions. Having to get up and down all the time to save par adds pressure and the inevitable bogies start to creep into the round.

I have always read that rather than trying to make technical swing changes during the round you should just "Play the swing you brought to the course that day" i.e. play for the natural shot. That's fine if you are hitting slight fades that day, just aim a little left but does it mean I should start aiming left of the green when I'm blocking them right? I can't bring myself to do that as I know the minute I do I will hit it dead straight exactly where I am aiming.

I'm curious to hear what others opinions/experiences are on this and how you would handle a similar situation?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

If I know what I'm doing, I'll try to change it. Would be stupid not to.

If I'm hitting bad shot after bad shot, I'm going try and find the problem and fix it asap.

People that say you should just finish the round with that swing are, IMO, tools.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

After I blocked a couple of iron approaches, I would be tempted to take on less club on the next approach, play it a little back, and full bore nuke it with a square face. If that didn't work, I'd take two extra clubs, make a short backswing and try to turn it down keeping my hands low along the target line as long as I could. If that didn't work, I'd put the next sumbaitch on a tee and X the hole and the round.

World Woods Golf Club - Pine Barrens course
    I don't have a problem analyzing myself while on the course.

Generally it's something minor and I'll try to just concentrate on making sure I'm solid with the fundamentals.
    SMT 455db 9* - Accuflex VS339 X
    Sonartec SS-03 - TT DG S400
    KZG Forged Blades 3-PW - Rifle Project X 7.0
    KZG Forged Raw 52*, 56*, 60* - Rifle Spinner 6.5
    Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1
    Titleist ProV1x
    Cash for the beer cart and a quarter to mark my ball

I have mixed feelings on this because I have tried both and had mixed results. Hell, I don't know what to tell you . . . . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

If you are hitting big blocks to the right you have a major swing issue which needs to be addressed immediately. I think the old 'play the swing you brought' refers to pros who are not quite 100%, but are grooved none the less and could reliably produce the same shot for the entire round. In that scenario it's better not to dick around too much with the swing and just concentrate on getting the ball around the course and hope your short game can get you a score.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I don't think it's a good idea to adjust your alignment to try and make a swing fault playable. As you said as soon as you do you'll hit one on that line and in your case miss the green left. If you were in a matchplay final or trying to win a big event it would probably be acceptable as you have to do whatever you can to bring it home. But in a regular club game you try to make the necessary corrections mid round. If it dosen't work, big deal. Just another average round and the short game can get a bit of extra practice. Most reasonable, experienced players have a good understanding of their common flaws and are well used to trying to correct them.
    The only productive way to get back on track is to hit the range. If I have had a poor ballstriking round and i have time I very often hit the range straight after the round and try and sort out swing issues while they are still fresh.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

I correct mid round. Probably shouldn't, but that's what I do. I usually have a fool proof way to make a ball move either left or right. So if I'm hitting slices, I'll hit an exagerrated hook for the next shot and incrementally find something that works over the next few shots. This doesn't always work. Usually it's something minor in the swing that will disappear on its own the next time I play.
    What's weird for me is that I usually start a round hitting tee shots with a draw and by the time I've finished I'm hitting a fade. Probably due to the escalation in alcohol consumption.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    I correct mid round. Probably shouldn't, but that's what I do. I usually have a fool proof way to make a ball move either left or right. So if I'm hitting slices, I'll hit an exagerrated hook for the next shot and incrementally find something that works over the next few shots. This doesn't always work. Usually it's something minor in the swing that will disappear on its own the next time I play.
    What's weird for me is that I usually start a round hitting tee shots with a draw and by the time I've finished I'm hitting a fade. Probably due to the escalation in alcohol consumption.
    Escalation in alcohol wil be the cause for more than one reason. On top of the actual intoxication, alcohol also dehydrates you. And dehydration causes lack of conentration and increases fatigue, both of which would contribute to not getting through the ball and releasing properly, which will cause a fade for a draw hitter.

My advice to overcome this is to choose soda as your mixer from now on.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

If for some reason you tend to be hitting on the 'left side' today, make alignment adjustments for it and play it until it quits, then switch back to what you know..... a small muscle strain in the back can cause this for a few holes until (if it ever) loosens up. Some of these little muscle groups can be strained and not even be very "feel-able" if there is such a word

As some of you get older, you'll know more of what Im talking about

Quote Originally Posted by Da Blade
    If for some reason you tend to be hitting on the 'left side' today, make alignment adjustments for it and play it until it quits, then switch back to what you know..... a small muscle strain in the back can cause this for a few holes until (if it ever) loosens up. Some of these little muscle groups can be strained and not even be very "feel-able" if there is such a word

I think there is likely some truth to this. I know that I always seem a little stiff at the beginning of the round, but am hitting with more fluidity and confidence towards the end. I have also found that if I wear myself out over a couple of baskets of balls prior to a round, I am usually ready to play like I do towards the end of a round.

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    If you know your own swing then on course correction is a wise move. Jack Nicklaus, in his autobiography, wrote at some length about how important he found it to learn as much about his swing as possible in order to do just that.

Personally, if I start having a bad day on the course I concentrate on getting my set up as absolutely right as I can and then concentrate on rythm and tempo. Like you my bad shot is a block, sometimes a blocked slice. In my case its because my swing gets too narrow combined with excessive body action in the down swing (which leaves the club face open at impact hence the slice). When this happens I concentrate on getting enough width in the swing and have the FEELING of freely swinging my arms down and through whilst getting my body out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    I have been blocking the ball right a lot lately with my iron approaches and not having time to hit the range between rounds it is sometimes tough to work these issues out of my swing. Just a week or two ago I played a round where I blocked a 7 iron approach on the 2nd hole and continued to do so for most of my round including a final blocked 9 iron approach on the 18th green. Basically I was doing it all day. Rather than try to change/adjust anything specific in my swing I tried to just keep swinging naturally and relaxed figuring the flaw would eventually work it's way out of my swing. But it never did. It was frustrating because my driving was reasonably sound that day but I kept missing greens from handy positions. Having to get up and down all the time to save par adds pressure and the inevitable bogies start to creep into the round.

I have always read that rather than trying to make technical swing changes during the round you should just "Play the swing you brought to the course that day" i.e. play for the natural shot. That's fine if you are hitting slight fades that day, just aim a little left but does it mean I should start aiming left of the green when I'm blocking them right? I can't bring myself to do that as I know the minute I do I will hit it dead straight exactly where I am aiming.

I'm curious to hear what others opinions/experiences are on this and how you would handle a similar situation?
    If I'm having any kind of trouble with my swing the first thing I question is whether or not I'm making a full turn, am I swaying vs. turning and am I finishing the backswing. Usually one of the three will fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by A V Twiss
    If you know your own swing then on course correction is a wise move. Jack Nicklaus, in his autobiography, wrote at some length about how important he found it to learn as much about his swing as possible in order to do just that.

Personally, if I start having a bad day on the course I concentrate on getting my set up as absolutely right as I can and then concentrate on rythm and tempo. Like you my bad shot is a block, sometimes a blocked slice. In my case its because my swing gets too narrow combined with excessive body action in the down swing (which leaves the club face open at impact hence the slice). When this happens I concentrate on getting enough width in the swing and have the FEELING of freely swinging my arms down and through whilst getting my body out of the way.
    Very simple but sound advice. Good fundamentals and good rhythm and tempo will always produce good results. If you get these things down there really is nothing that can go wrong with the swing. Getting these down for a whole 18 holes is the tricky part though.

World Woods Golf Club - Pine Barrens course
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Very simple but sound advice. Good fundamentals and good rhythm and tempo will always produce good results. If you get these things down there really is nothing that can go wrong with the swing. Getting these down for a whole 18 holes is the tricky part though.
    As much as I hate to admit it........

Getting older is taking a toll too.

By the end of a round, especially on a hot day, I'm more tired than I used to be. The more fatigue there is, the harder it is to keep a good swing put together.
    SMT 455db 9* - Accuflex VS339 X
    Sonartec SS-03 - TT DG S400
    KZG Forged Blades 3-PW - Rifle Project X 7.0
    KZG Forged Raw 52*, 56*, 60* - Rifle Spinner 6.5
    Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1
    Titleist ProV1x
    Cash for the beer cart and a quarter to mark my ball

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    I find it nigh on impossible. I always hit a few real stinkers each round. The more I try to keep my rythm smooth the lower my score, but consistently smooth through the whole round is my holy grail.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_h
    As much as I hate to admit it........

Getting older is taking a toll too.

By the end of a round, especially on a hot day, I'm more tired than I used to be. The more fatigue there is, the harder it is to keep a good swing put together.
    Ah come off it man. Now who's the p.ussy?

I get tired too which means I nod off on the couch watching the football with a couple of beers AFTER golf. There's no way fatigue is affecting my swing DURING the round. Come on man. This is an old mans game. It's not a sport that requires youth and athleticism. How else do you explain a 59 year old Tom Watson making it to a play off in The Open Championship last year? In fact he should have won it outright if his approach had held the green. Or he'd held his nerve and made a chip and a putt that most weekend warriors make every Saturday.

Harden up dude. The legend that Spank propagated is diminishing before my very eyes!

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Da Blade
    Yep... some of us need to do warm ups before we warm up to avoid injury while warming up.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    I have also found that if I wear myself out over a couple of baskets of balls prior to a round, I am usually ready to play like I do towards the end of a round.
    Me too Sooner. But I learned that that wearing myself out just slows my swing down to a more managable speed. Now, I just club up and swing a little slower to get the same result.

i look at my grip, posture, ball position, and aim with visualizing ball flight. thinking hurts.
    Last edited by ironman; 05-10-2010 at 02:04 PM.
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

After you have hit enough balls on the range you should have it ingrained--and you should understand your swing enough to fix it after ONE bad swing. If you can't do that on the course-- you haven't sufficiently ingrained your swing on the range.

Larry (who didn't write the stuff in your sig)

Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf
    After you have hit enough balls on the range you should have it ingrained--and you should understand your swing enough to fix it after ONE bad swing. If you can't do that on the course-- you haven't sufficiently ingrained your swing on the range.

Larry (who didn't write the stuff in your sig)
    So who did? Are you saying someone hacked your account as it was a direct quote from a post you wrote on Golfrewound.

Now where the f#ck am I?

So who did? Are you saying someone hacked your account as it was a direct quote from a post you wrote on Golfrewound.
    Maybe this has something to do with some of Larry's score posting mishaps.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Maybe this has something to do with some of Larry's score posting mishaps.
    Maybe he's an amazing driver of the ball who never misses greens but 4 putts all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    Maybe he's an amazing driver of the ball who never misses greens but 4 putts all the time.
    Yeah someone else had already pointed out that with those stats and a 4 handicap his putting must really suck.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Who knows?--likely Alan Baker. He specializes in resurrecting and then distorting old quotes. He lives this stuff night and day in a dozen forums. But I didn't and wouldn't have written that. Not that it matters. If you enjoy posting such nonsense leave it there! It is about class I guess. I would be ashamed to launch and then maintain an unprovoked personal attack in my sig. Leaving it there after I tell you it is bogus defines you.

Larry

Who knows?--likely Alan Baker. He specializes in resurrecting and then distorting old quotes. He lives this stuff night and day in a dozen forums. But I didn't and wouldn't have written that. Not that it matters. If you enjoy posting such nonsense leave it there! It reflects more on you than me.

Larry
    But you admit that you DID come on here claiming to be a 6 handicap? Fess up Larry and I will remove that quote from my sig.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Who knows?--likely Alan Baker. He specializes in resurrecting and then distorting old quotes. He lives this stuff night and day in a dozen forums. But I didn't and wouldn't have written that. Not that it matters. If you enjoy posting such nonsense leave it there! It is about class I guess. I would be ashamed to launch and then maintain an unprovoked personal attack in my sig. Leaving it there after I tell you it is bogus defines you.

Larry
    Larry, which instructor are you working with these days?
    GR lives...

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)
    Because you wouldn't like, would you Larry?

You wouldn't say on one forum that you hit "every" fairway at -- say -- Camp Pendleton and then later say it was "most", would you?

You wouldn't admit to cheating on the scores you post in order to rid yourself of an "unfair" 6 handicap that you claimed you didn't deserve...

...but still claim to be that 6 handicap on your golf gimmick websites...

...would you?

http://02bc5fe.netsolhost.com/trainingaidcreator.htm
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP2 w/Project X shafts 3-PW
    Cleveland 52°, Titleist Vokey 56° & 60°
    Tommy Armour Model 6 putter.

Well it's no one at his home course. They've all grown tired of him.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker
    Well it's no one at his home course. They've all grown tired of him.
    I didn't think guys ever got tired of having their dicks sucked. Was he seeing a woman instructor?

I didn't think guys ever got tired of having their dicks sucked. Was he seeing a woman instructor?
    I'm fairly certain that at one point he was receiving instruction from Phil Mickelson's sister, Tina, and that she told him some things that he didn't want to hear (like how far he was really hitting his driver).

And thus he now bad mouths her.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

I'm fairly certain that at one point he was receiving instruction from Phil Mickelson's sister, Tina, and that she told him some things that he didn't want to hear (like how far he was really hitting his driver).

And thus he now bad mouths her.
    Fairly certain, or 100% positive with links from 5 years ago to back it up? Be honest.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Let me say this, you would be surprised that you don't have as many swing flaws on the course as you think. It has been proven with video that even rank amateurs are quite consistent with their swings. What does happen is setup get astray or timing gets off. More often than not it is setup and the biggest factor or flaw in that is ball position. Amateurs ball position with the same club can vary by a lot according to research. When I am struggling, I always go back and grind through my setup and don't screw with my swing.

My main keys with my swing are tempo of course and making sure I actually see the club striking the ball.

Larry
    It's not an unprovoked attack, it is a direct quote from one of your many bullsh!t posts. I do not usually respond, or join in on the Larry show; but I am moved to defend Kiwi Player as he is a valuable and honest poster on this board. Larry, you on the other hand are a fraud and a narcassistic bullsh!t artist.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    It's not an unprovoked attack, it is a direct quote from one of your many bullsh!t posts. I do not usually respond, or join in on the Larry show; but I am moved to defend Kiwi Player as he is a valuable and honest poster on this board. Larry, you on the other hand are a fraud and a narcassistic bullsh!t artist.
    Well said.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Larry, questioning Kiwi's integrity was not the smartest idea you've ever had. I can't say it's the worst because in light of Pivot for Power, your Tai Chi videos and handicap padding you seem to have produced quite a few that would compete for worst.
    GR lives...

Larry, questioning Kiwi's integrity was not the smartest idea you've ever had. I can't say it's the worst because in light of Pivot for Power, your Tai Chi videos and handicap padding you seem to have produced quite a few that would compete for worst.
    Don't forget the Grand & Toy "money clip"!
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Don't forget the Grand & Toy "money clip"!
    Trying to count Larry's bad ideas can be a bit like eating potato chips.
    GR lives...

It's amazing. The moment Larry posts, the flaming jumps to searing levels almost instantaneously. I've seen his drivel all over the place for years, but I have to say that I'd miss it if he were gone. It's perfect fodder for some really great comedy reading, both his posts and all the responses. And that's saying something, I have over 35,000 posts on 2 other forums and I've seen some serious idiocy in my day.

It's breathtaking really.

KEEP POSTING LARRY! YOU'RE MY FAVORITE INTERNET RETARD EVER!

But you admit that you DID come on here claiming to be a 6 handicap? Fess up Larry and I will remove that quote from my sig.
    I "HAD" a 6 handicap for a few months several years ago. I have explained repeatedly that I accidently created that by playing 9 holes every day for a few weeks--and posting that score. I played several balls--and quite often went around with any one ball in 38 or so. I stupidly posted those scores--not knowing the system would combine them into 18 hole scores. Suddenly I was a 6. Hey, only a few months before that I was a tennis player.

If that is important to you, shame on you.

Y'all have fun out there.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz1975
    It's amazing. The moment Larry posts, the flaming jumps to searing levels almost instantaneously. I've seen his drivel all over the place for years, but I have to say that I'd miss it if he were gone. It's perfect fodder for some really great comedy reading, both his posts and all the responses. And that's saying something, I have over 35,000 posts on 2 other forums and I've seen some serious idiocy in my day.

It's breathtaking really.

KEEP POSTING LARRY! YOU'RE MY FAVORITE INTERNET RETARD EVER!
    Thanks! ha

Actually when I forebear from posting in some forums, I look in and see that NOBODY has posted in weeks. When I was posting dozens of guys were frantically posting every few minutes in the several threads I was in. In the Usenet forum my name was in the subject line of the top 6 threads quite often. So yep, I know how to pull their strings!. This stuff is entertaining a few minutes every day. And the price is right, ha.

What I really love is tweaking the nutcases like Alan Baker. He bites every bait in every forum in every thread. It is hard to imagine such a mullet...

Larry

I "HAD" a 6 handicap for a few months several years ago. I have explained repeatedly that I accidently created that by playing 9 holes every day for a few weeks--and posting that score. I played several balls--and quite often went around with any one ball in 38 or so. I stupidly posted those scores--not knowing the system would combine them into 18 hole scores. Suddenly I was a 6. Hey, only a few months before that I was a tennis player.

Y'all have fun out there.

Larry
    Sorry Larry. You have used this BS excuse many times but it doesn't make sense and it just doesn't wash. ADMIT your dishonesty, fess up like a real man and I will remove the quote. Otherwise it stays!

Now where the f#ck am I?

None. I work every range session to get myself posted earlier. That is not easy for someone who had an unstable lead leg knee for most of his life. But I am getting better and better at doing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-U0WCC2Wf8

See ya out there.

Larry

I think you kinda solved your own problem here. Clearly your issues with blocked shots are a mental thing, or you wouldn't be curing them just by setting up properly aimed to the left of your intended target line. Maybe if you pretend you're aimed well right of the target most of the time you'd "accidentally" hit the shot where you're actually aiming..?

Seriously though, it sounds like your ball position could be a bit too far back, causing you to get to the ball with the face a bit too open - or your grip is causing problems, perhaps a too weak left hand grip preventing the club from naturally releasing through impact. You might also be swinging square on an in-to-out path because your swing plane is getting too flat.

Just some things to watch out for, but judging by your testimony it's likely one or a combination of those three things. If it's not one of the above, then pay attention to your head position and make sure it stays where you start - if your head is abnormally moving forward through impact that would cause your hands to arrive at the ball prematurely (in relation to the release), before they can get squared up.

Hope that helps.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

And your pivotforpower.com and rulate.com websites still have you listed as a 6...

...fraud.

And there never were any 9 hole scores in your 6 handicap. We discussed it at the time.

Yeah, if honesty and integrity are important to you...

...then you're not Larry Whitaker!
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

None. I work every range session to get myself posted earlier. That is not easy for someone who had an unstable lead leg knee for most of his life. But I am getting better and better at doing it.
    And now the excuses start again!

As Larry posts a video no one can watch:

"This video is private."
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Thanks for sticking up for me OP but you have to see it from poor old Larry's point of view. He just hasn't been the same since the time I was caught hiding in the shadows with pockets full of feces ready to hurl at the passing parade.
    Last edited by Kiwi Player; 05-10-2010 at 11:11 PM.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Thanks! ha

Actually when I forebear from posting in some forums, I look in and see that NOBODY has posted in weeks. When I was posting dozens of guys were frantically posting every few minutes in the several threads I was in. In the Usenet forum my name was in the subject line of the top 6 threads quite often. So yep, I know how to pull their strings!. This stuff is entertaining a few minutes every day. And the price is right, ha.

What I really love is tweaking the nutcases like Alan Baker. He bites every bait in every forum in every thread. It is hard to imagine such a mullet...

Larry
    LOL. You have to love the self adoration.

Thanks for sticking up for me OP but you have to see it from poor old Larry's point of view. He just hasn't been the same since the time I was caught hiding in the shadows with pockets full of feces ready to hurl at the passing parade.

For your future convenience:

http://4gifs.com/gallery/d/145812-1/Driveby_pooping.gif

You're welcome.

FON

*edited for the digestively weak*
    Last edited by FreakOfNature; 05-11-2010 at 12:07 PM.

Taylormade R580XD 9.5

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature
    For your future convenience:

You're welcome.

FON
    Bloody hell that is gross!

WTF do you find these things???

Now where the f#ck am I?

I agree! Good time to close the thread.

Bloody hell that is gross!

WTF do you find these things???

There are some dark corners of the WWW where only the truly courageous dare to tread.

Basically - you don't wanna know.

FON

Taylormade R580XD 9.5

FON, you sick puppy . . . . . . .

FON, you sick puppy . . . . . . .

I knew someone around here would be man enough to appreciate the humor in that gif.

Real men don't run away screaming at the first sign of a little poop under the shining light of a full moon.

FON

Taylormade R580XD 9.5

Thread Information