|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn

Project x flighted in my mp37s

I love my mp 37s. But ball flight is a little high in the short irons, and the s300 as nice as they feel. I miss the non flighted project x lower flight I had in my old 60s with satin x shafts. I pansied out and ordered 5.0 flighted instead of 5.5 which I played, I dont no how much more my wrist can take, cause I take some nice pro lookin divots with em, famous davis would be envious of. My 7 iron is 165-175 my 6 is 185 195, 5 iron 200-210, 4 iron 220-230 average with the mx 23s . Do I need 5.5 or 6.0 ? I can change my order. My mx 23s have r 300 dg shafts, and I nail em pretty good, but miss the flag nailing ability of the mps. Or am I wasting my money, save it for green fees, beer money, and tips for the nice looking beer cart honeys, serving as distractions.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

The 5.5's will be most comparable to the S300's. Project X's tend to play a bit stiff to flex. The 6.0's might feel like lightweight rebar. Project X's are definitely for people who have a steep, descending blow and take a sizeable divot. Otherwise, they feel ugly.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    The 5.5's will be most comparable to the S300's. Project X's tend to play a bit stiff to flex. The 6.0's might feel like lightweight rebar. Project X's are definitely for people who have a steep, descending blow and take a sizeable divot. Otherwise, they feel ugly.
    The 5.5s I played were deadly accurate, but they could sting you on the longer irons. Thats why I,m consideering flighted 5.0 instead. I have a 5.0 in my sand wedge and love it. What shaft you like?
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

I agree that they feel muted and ugly compared to DG. The problem with blades is the long irons...just too hard to hit. I don't like having a mixed set so blades are not an option. The ping s59 is a great compromise and feels great. The fact that I play them is reason enough. Well lads, I'm off for some coffee and newspaper reading at my snooty mens business club...starbucks. I hope I don't have to get medevial on some fruit loop taking 5 minutes to prepare and stir his coffee at the creamer bar.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I agree that they feel muted and ugly compared to DG. The problem with blades is the long irons...just too hard to hit. I don't like having a mixed set so blades are not an option. The ping s59 is a great compromise and feels great. The fact that I play them is reason enough. Well lads, I'm off for some coffee and newspaper reading at my snooty mens business club...starbucks. I hope I don't have to get medevial on some fruit loop taking 5 minutes to prepare and stir his coffee at the creamer bar.
    I get some of the coolest albums there. Let me know if you see something great. I got an oldie from starbucks, Willlie Nelson milk house blues, with Johnny Lang, BB King and on and on greats. Would you rather have r300 than the project x?

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich
    The 5.5s I played were deadly accurate, but they could sting you on the longer irons. Thats why I,m consideering flighted 5.0 instead. I have a 5.0 in my sand wedge and love it. What shaft you like?
    I'm a probably a lone wolf on this opinion, I suspect, but I am very fond of the True Temper Black Golds. I have them in all of my wedges, irons, and my hybrid. I've played DG's, Rifles, Rifle Flighted's, Project X's, Nippon 950 and 1150's, Tour Concepts, and I've found that the Black Golds give me control and consistency comparable to the DG's, but feel almost as smooth as Nippons. They are similar in weight to the DG's (I like my clubs to have a heavier feel, particularly wehn hitting out of the rough) but have a slightly lower kickpoint and are a little less tip stiff.
    I know Lyle G hated Black Golds because he said they were inconsistent in their specs from a clubmaker's perspective, but I haven't noted that at all from the player's standpoint.

I love my mp 37s. But ball flight is a little high in the short irons, and the s300 as nice as they feel. I miss the non flighted project x lower flight I had in my old 60s with satin x shafts. I pansied out and ordered 5.0 flighted instead of 5.5 which I played, I dont no how much more my wrist can take, cause I take some nice pro lookin divots with em, famous davis would be envious of. My 7 iron is 165-175 my 6 is 185 195, 5 iron 200-210, 4 iron 220-230 average with the mx 23s . Do I need 5.5 or 6.0 ? I can change my order. My mx 23s have r 300 dg shafts, and I nail em pretty good, but miss the flag nailing ability of the mps. Or am I wasting my money, save it for green fees, beer money, and tips for the nice looking beer cart honeys, serving as distractions.
    If those are truley your sea level distances then more like a 6.5. I just put kbs tours in my new set and really like them. It took a bit to get used to after the board feeling x's but thier trajectory is similar with more of a dg feel. I've also heard the quality has gone down on the x's since they've become popular.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    If those are truley your sea level distances then more like a 6.5. I just put kbs tours in my new set and really like them. It took a bit to get used to after the board feeling x's but thier trajectory is similar with more of a dg feel. I've also heard the quality has gone down on the x's since they've become popular.
    I agree with this assesment. Those distances are tour player standard and they have swing speeds in the 110 mph area and generally use X flex. One of the stiffest shafts to flex are the original satin project X. A 5.5 would be ok in those but the new X's are alleged to be softer and lower quality than the originals. There is no way you should be hitting a reg shaft with those distances. Are your lofts juiced up? Is your 7 iron 32 degrees like an old 6 iron or even stonger. Mp 37's should have a 7 iron at 35 or 36 degrees.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

I hit an 8 iron 205 yesterday with a Nippon 1150 shaft. I shite you not, I have witnesses . . . . . . . . . . of course, they'll also be the first ones to add that we had a 40 MPH wind behind us . . . . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    I hit an 8 iron 205 yesterday with a Nippon 1150 shaft. I shite you not, I have witnesses . . . . . . . . . . of course, they'll also be the first ones to add that we had a 40 MPH wind behind us . . . . . .

I was gonna say "How much did you overshoot the green by?"
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    I agree with this assesment. Those distances are tour player standard and they have swing speeds in the 110 mph area and generally use X flex. One of the stiffest shafts to flex are the original satin project X. A 5.5 would be ok in those but the new X's are alleged to be softer and lower quality than the originals. There is no way you should be hitting a reg shaft with those distances. Are your lofts juiced up? Is your 7 iron 32 degrees like an old 6 iron or even stonger. Mp 37's should have a 7 iron at 35 or 36 degrees.
    I would say he's longer than tour average if the witb numbers are accurate. I swing my driver about 110-112 mph and my 4 iron carry on a well struck ball is just over 200 yards. But then irons really depend on the effective loft of the club not by the number written on the bottom. That's why players like Sergio can hit a 7 iron 200 yards; it's effectively a 4 iron with the amount of delofting he gets with his swing.

Out of curiosity I will have the fitters at swan lake check the lofts. I had them bent 1 degree flat, both the 23s and the 37s. They usually check the loft and only correct them, not change them. I,m not sure, but arent the 23s a little stronger than the 37s from the factory. The project x 5.5 shafts I played were the original satin finish, older, more desirable model. no flex decals, laser etched under the grip. Well it sounds like the newer project x shafts play softer. Those are my no shat distances. My partners are blowed away, that this year, I have a quicker tempo, a little longer backswing, and distances are way longer, then anytime in my life. There was no wind yesterday on a course I played. 9 iron on a 140 yard par 3, 8 iron on 158 yard par 3, I used a 6 iron on a 190 yard par 3 and flew the green, well it hit the green and ended on the back fringe. I use a 5 iron now when I,m 200 yards out in the fairway. My 4 iron is for anything over 210 yards I used it on a 236 yard par 3 the other day and caught the front of the green. Thats probably why my 23s feel kind of soft with r300 shafts, and I aim right of the pin, and draw the the ball in. So in a kbs shaft I could play a 6.0 or 6.5 or the newer project x. I like the way the dg shafts feel, just the high ball flight I dont. So the kbs might be a nice compromise.

I'm a probably a lone wolf on this opinion, I suspect, but I am very fond of the True Temper Black Golds. I have them in all of my wedges, irons, and my hybrid. I've played DG's, Rifles, Rifle Flighted's, Project X's, Nippon 950 and 1150's, Tour Concepts, and I've found that the Black Golds give me control and consistency comparable to the DG's, but feel almost as smooth as Nippons. They are similar in weight to the DG's (I like my clubs to have a heavier feel, particularly wehn hitting out of the rough) but have a slightly lower kickpoint and are a little less tip stiff.
    I know Lyle G hated Black Golds because he said they were inconsistent in their specs from a clubmaker's perspective, but I haven't noted that at all from the player's standpoint.
    Not lone wolf, DM. TTBG is best shaft I've played. I only have them in my irons but they have been SO accurate and plenty long, and this set is the best matched, by feel, of any I've ever used.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

World Woods Golf Club - Pine Barrens course
    I could not disagree with you more.

I've had a set of PX 7.0 shafts in my KZG's since they were brand new. They are ORIGINAL Project X shafts that I bought when they were first introduced in 2003 or so. Not only are they satin finish, but they have the original silk screened graphics, not the stickers / labels.

I have used a LOT of shafts in a lot of flexes in my time and those PX's are BY FAR the best iron shafts I have ever used. They are not boardy at all. Quite the contrary. They are quite lively and give great feedback. Add to that is the fact that I pick the ball clean and do not take a big divot (at least on purpose!! LOL).
    SMT 455db 9* - Accuflex VS339 X
    Sonartec SS-03 - TT DG S400
    KZG Forged Blades 3-PW - Rifle Project X 7.0
    KZG Forged Raw 52*, 56*, 60* - Rifle Spinner 6.5
    Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1
    Titleist ProV1x
    Cash for the beer cart and a quarter to mark my ball

Also yesterday no wind, I picked up my 7 year old from school and and told her your stuck with me I,m playing golf. She was a good sport as long as she could drive the cart. On number 10 a 368 yard par 4 a high school kid was on his phone on the tee box, I patiently waited, he finally says go ahead. I said hit your ball and we will hit, and get in front of you. He sliced one I said just tee up another he sliced it to. I said I,m going over the traps there around 270. I looked in the trap, no ball. 20 yards past the trap no ball. I was getting disgusted when I spotted the ball at a mound in front of the green 20 yards from the pin. If that mound had not been there I would have drove the green. My little girl gos daddy you hit that a mile. Best drive of the day.

I haven't hit the Black Golds but in an old set I had the DG Tri Gold, which I think were the predecessor of the Black Golds. The Tri golds were stepped, but the idea was for a set of shafts that were slightly lighter and less tip stiff in the longer irons, then got progressively heavier and stiffer in the short irons. They were the only set of shafts that set up perfectly for me right through the bag. I usually go R300 in 3 and 4 and S300 the rest, but with the Tri Golds I could still get good results with the long irons in stiff. I saw the guy I sold them to yesterday and he told me he was getting rid of them and offered them to me. I will probably take them just for the shafts.
    Last edited by Not a hacker; 05-08-2010 at 04:33 PM.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)
    My AP2s have Project X 5.5s but they're not flighted. The stiffness seems about right to me. I'm probably hitting my irons about 10 - 15 yards shorter than you.

Frankly, I can imagine needing the flighted shafts in the longer irons to hit the ball higher, but I wouldn't mind hitting the shorter irons on a somewhat lower trajectory.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP2 w/Project X shafts 3-PW
    Cleveland 52°, Titleist Vokey 56° & 60°
    Tommy Armour Model 6 putter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_h
    I could not disagree with you more.

I've had a set of PX 7.0 shafts in my KZG's since they were brand new. They are ORIGINAL Project X shafts that I bought when they were first introduced in 2003 or so. Not only are they satin finish, but they have the original silk screened graphics, not the stickers / labels.

I have used a LOT of shafts in a lot of flexes in my time and those PX's are BY FAR the best iron shafts I have ever used. They are not boardy at all. Quite the contrary. They are quite lively and give great feedback. Add to that is the fact that I pick the ball clean and do not take a big divot (at least on purpose!! LOL).
    I've played DG S300's, and original Project X 5.5's. To my hands, wrists, and elbows, the Project X's felt absolutely terrible on a thin shot, reasonable on a flush shot, but only felt smooth and sweet on a shot with a sharp descending blow with a significant divot. I can only report what I have personally experienced. I don't dispute what you have personally experienced. Younger, taller, and undoubtedly stronger, I suspect you have a significantly higher swingspeed than I can achieve. I now slightly restrict my swingspeed vs. previously "going for the gusto" more, in the interests of accuracy and precision (and consequently score better). Honest to goodness R flex shafts (not OEM noodle R shafts) suit me well at present.
    Last edited by dorkman53; 05-08-2010 at 08:59 PM.

I cancelled my order on the x shafts for now. I will look into the kbs shafts. or black golds. I,m gonna think hard on this one. Those mp 37s deserve the best. The guys at swan lake or the us golf academy said I hit down on the ball. Whenever they let me demo clubs they handed me stiff shafts, I never asked, but they knew I played project x shafts. The dgs dont sting as much as the project x, that part I dont miss. I had some 32s with project x shafts I couldnt hit for crap. Also had miura forged tm rac cb irons same thing, I always wondered if the shaft was part of the problem. I played some mp 57s last season with project x shafts, had no problem with them. They were the newer version, chrome, felt a little softer 5.5 nonflighted. I started to realise alot more distance with those clubs, but they aggravated me with larger divots than normal, hence more wrist pain. I like the 37s quite a bit more then any mp version I have played.

Thread Information