|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Hey Sooner...

Hey Sooner...

Did you ever spine align your shafts? Thought you mentioned you purchased a kit or something and was going to do this?

Sorry if it wasnt you.
    Thanks.

Yes, I have spine aligned two sets of clubs. I use this: http://www.golfparrot.com/

Some spines are easier to locate on some shafts more than others. The DG S300s were VERY easy to locate. The two Nippon 1150 shafts I did were not easy. Also, some of the graphite shafts are a little more difficult. The Pershing shaft I just did almost seemed like it had two spines (is this possible?) I think I got it right though because it has been an excellent shaft so far.

Purchase the tool and use it, Helmet. Of course, if you had your clubs custom made at Mizuno, then your shafts will likely be spine aligned.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Yes, I have spine aligned two sets of clubs. I use this: http://www.golfparrot.com/

Some spines are easier to locate on some shafts more than others. The DG S300s were VERY easy to locate. The two Nippon 1150 shafts I did were not easy. Also, some of the graphite shafts are a little more difficult. The Pershing shaft I just did almost seemed like it had two spines (is this possible?) I think I got it right though because it has been an excellent shaft so far.

Purchase the tool and use it, Helmet. Of course, if you had your clubs custom made at Mizuno, then your shafts will likely be spine aligned.
    Actually I thought Mizuno didnt do this process. I was reading up on it over at the Mizuno forum.

I spent some time with a clubmaker yesterday (he is putting a KBS shaft in my wedges) and he is spining 1 of the shafts (I am going there tomorrow after work to help) for free, to show me how it works, etc...

He showed me all the gadgets used for all of this. He put a KBS shaft on the spine thing and had me find the spine. This wasnt my shaft going into my wedge. I marked it and he was going to take it from there. Feel bad for the dude who paid good $$ to have me work on his club.

Yes I think I read somewhere that graphite shafts have more spines, but I cannot be for sure on that. He demonstrated with a graphite club some laser process where the club oscilates, etc...the way this club was moving around on this was pretty remarkeable. He rotated the shaft around to find the point where the oscilation was pretty much a straight line. This was nowhere near where the head was inserted into the shaft.

Sooner and / or LH, JeffH, OP? How much gear do you have to have to be a decent club fitter/ builder? It seems like a lot of startup cost for what I assume is a low overhead type of business. Except for custom grind wedges, of course, where the markup is around 600%.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    Sooner and / or LH, JeffH, OP? How much gear do you have to have to be a decent club fitter/ builder? It seems like a lot of startup cost for what I assume is a low overhead type of business. Except for custom grind wedges, of course, where the markup is around 600%.
    Honestly, I am not sure. There were vices, clamps, workbenches, etc....Grinding machines,etc.....
    I am not sure of the specialty tools equipment end of things....sorry.

edit - I was intrigued though and it was interesting. I have a workbench and a vice so Im off and running! lol
    Last edited by Lord Helmet; 05-12-2010 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    Honestly, I am not sure. There were vices, clamps, workbenches, etc....Grinding machines,etc.....

edit - I was intrigued though and it was interesting. I have a workbench and a vice so Im off and running! lol
    it seems like it would be fun and interesting. I think as far as club building tools, they are probably fairly affordable. It's the fitting devices that might be pricey ie. Simulators, cameras whatever they call the swing speed radar etc.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

You need a bit of gear but it is not really expensive say compared to a carpentry workshop. The most expensive thing you need is a proper Lie and loft machine. After that a decent hydrolic head puller is a must have. Then swing weight scales, a drill press, metal cut off bench saw, air compressor for removing grips, spine alignment tool, club measuring board, heat gun and then lots of bits and pieces (tools). You can make do with normal type tools ie. a hack saw for cutting shafts etc. But for neat and quick work you need the right tools. You can't get away without the good lie and loft mackine or head puller.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

World Woods Golf Club - Pine Barrens course
    It costs a lot in tools and inventory to make no money as a clubfitter......

I think all the big stuff.....

Loft / lie machine
    gripping station
    benches
    cut off saw
    drill press
    compressor
    shaft cutting jigs
    lasers

and crap like that.....

Cost 4 or 5 grand.

The real money is in initial inventory. In order to be a dealer of any product line, you have to make an initial order of so much stuff. KZG was a killer. Fujikura wasn't too bad.

By the time all was said and done, my startup costs were about 20 grand if I remember correctly.
    SMT 455db 9* - Accuflex VS339 X
    Sonartec SS-03 - TT DG S400
    KZG Forged Blades 3-PW - Rifle Project X 7.0
    KZG Forged Raw 52*, 56*, 60* - Rifle Spinner 6.5
    Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1
    Titleist ProV1x
    Cash for the beer cart and a quarter to mark my ball

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_h
    It costs a lot in tools and inventory to make no money as a clubfitter......

I think all the big stuff.....

Loft / lie machine
    gripping station
    benches
    cut off saw
    drill press
    compressor
    shaft cutting jigs
    lasers

and crap like that.....

Cost 4 or 5 grand.

The real money is in initial inventory. In order to be a dealer of any product line, you have to make an initial order of so much stuff. KZG was a killer. Fujikura wasn't too bad.

By the time all was said and done, my startup costs were about 20 grand if I remember correctly.
    I hope you haven't had to write all those costs off now that it's not your primary vocation. Are you at least able to use some of the clubfitting equipment in building your rockets?
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I hope you haven't had to write all those costs off now that it's not your primary vocation. Are you at least able to use some of the clubfitting equipment in building your rockets?
    LOL

I sold all the club building sh!t years ago.

Everybody knows all you need to build a rocket is an empty paper towel roll, duct tape and Pyrodex.
    Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1
    Titleist ProV1x

Yes I think I read somewhere that graphite shafts have more spines, but I cannot be for sure on that.
    Steel shafts generally have the more noticable spine...Graphit shafts generally have minimal spine....and fiber would shafts are pretty much non-detectable as opposed to sheet rolled.

He demonstrated with a graphite club some laser process where the club oscilates, etc...the way this club was moving around on this was pretty remarkeable. He rotated the shaft around to find the point where the oscilation was pretty much a straight line. This was nowhere near where the head was inserted into the shaft.
    He was floing the shaft for you (FLO = Flat line oscillation)...sounds likr you have a good club fitter!
    Last edited by indacup; 05-12-2010 at 05:09 PM.

[QUOTE=Jeff_h

KZG was a killer. .[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it.

Dunno what was more painful, the start up cost with them or their bizarre marketing concepts that changed faster than Jennifer changed tampons

LOL

I sold all the club building sh!t years ago.

Everybody knows all you need to build a rocket is an empty paper towel roll, duct tape and Pyrodex.
    Then it sounds as though you're able to avoid some of the many costs plaguing Pkwy6471's hypothetical grip manufacturer. Not necessarily alimony, but some of them.
    GR lives...

Seriously, should anyone keep on living to just watch tv or internet or piss away your life?

Damn, even if it cost $1000 to get set up to make clubs for yourself and friends, acquaintances, etc... it would give you something to do, and learn and help people and meet friends... Our love for golf, etc. is not all about profit...

I dropped $5000 on a bicycle I like; others drop $1800 for 3 wedges... Get out there you bastards and live life...

Damn, today the cops were called on me at work, and had to answer a few questions, although I know I did not have to answer; we are evicting the tenant that called the cops; there is no rent control, and the b!tch didn't know who i was; hey, when you remodel it makes noise. They had a nice dog (collie) too... oh well, they will survive.

Getting back to the cop, what is it with us guys and the stare anyway?

I stared at the cop and he stared at me, and it was like a Matrix moment where we connected in a stare... in a stare that seemed to last a minute, but he felt I knew he was just a jackass (real cop, but he almost looked that guy riding a segway around the mall) my age... everything happened friendly after except for the tenant that will now get evicted.

He was just doing his job, so he left, but when the fat cop started asking for permits, that pissed me off; my boy never brought the permits up when the job started this week. He apologized, but he was doing his job.

It must be a guy thing; it is the stare and you go into some sort of thing, before a fight, when you both read each other's minds? Of course I would not fight a cop, as a police officer is a SYMBOL of authority; you do not disrespect a symbol...

Sheesh, I have told this story a dozen times here on GR; my grandfather was an undercover narc here in sf for 25 years then became a Captain here before retiring...

Funny thing. My grandfather was one of the first ones to have a black partner, back in the day. My grandfather used to go to the bar with his black buddy/partner and say, "Get the n!gger a drink."

These two ended up loving each other, and my grandpa always called him "n!gger."

N!gger this and n!gger that..

So the irony is, my granddad got holed up in a situation where he had to take the heroin or lose his cover, and the 'n!gger' came in and saved his life...

I won't get into details, but this black man, that my "full blood Irish" grandfather helped come into the police force saved his life; that is irony...

As a black man, I love my grandfather, RIP.

Yes I may ramble!

spank
    Last edited by spanqdoggie; 05-12-2010 at 11:40 PM.
    It's not my fault God made me this beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by indacup
    Steel shafts generally have the more noticable spine...Graphit shafts generally have minimal spine....and fiber would shafts are pretty much non-detectable as opposed to sheet rolled.

He was floing the shaft for you (FLO = Flat line oscillation)...sounds likr you have a good club fitter!

Are you an advocate of this process? Just wondering.

Can't speak for him, but I am.

Especially for graphite.
    Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1
    Titleist ProV1x

Oh yes..........

Can't speak for him, but I am.

Especially for graphite.
    Why and why?
    Pros/Cons.
    Does the average Joe recreational golfer really know the difference? Or is the difference only in the space between your ears? Its pretty pricey to do if someone does it for you and I havent the expertise to remove/install shafts...Not to mention, can you even re-use a shaft once its pulled?

Quote Originally Posted by indacup
    Oh yes..........
    Care to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by spanqdoggie
    Getting back to the cop, what is it with us guys and the stare anyway?

I stared at the cop and he stared at me, and it was like a Matrix moment where we connected in a stare... in a stare that seemed to last a minute

spank
    Guys only do that when they want to f*ck each other! Closet homos fight each other in this situation as an attempt to suppress those feelings! Textbook GAY!! Usually one gay will try and wrap his legs around the other and choke them out in a desperate attempt to have their balls very close to the other guys face!

You're right about the Matrix. This was all in the deleted scenes!

Quote Originally Posted by SDB1
    Guys only do that when they want to f*ck each other! Closet homos fight each other in this situation as an attempt to suppress those feelings! Textbook GAY!! Usually one gay will try and wrap his legs around the other and choke them out in a desperate attempt to have their balls very close to the other guys face!

You're talking about MMA, right?
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    You're talking about MMA, right?
    Very possible! Don't mess with gays!

Quote Originally Posted by SDB1

Cue the wrestling scene in Borat where he and his buddy are wrestling naked in the hotel room . . . . . . . . . . that was very disturbing.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Cue the wrestling scene in Borat where he and his buddy are wrestling naked in the hotel room . . . . . . . . . . that was very disturbing.
    ... it was an assault on the senses and seemed to go on ... forever!
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I had to avert my eyes. I found it very difficult to watch the rest of the film. I'm not sure I did.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    I had to avert my eyes. I found it very difficult to watch the rest of the film. I'm not sure I did.
    Not nearly as bad as watching "He broke my back mounting me". Oops, I meant "Broke back Mountain".

Why and why?
    Pros/Cons.
    Does the average Joe recreational golfer really know the difference? Or is the difference only in the space between your ears? Its pretty pricey to do if someone does it for you and I havent the expertise to remove/install shafts...Not to mention, can you even re-use a shaft once its pulled?
    everyone i've done it for noticed the difference. i include it in the price. you can pull and re-use a shaft easily. I don't agree with how parrotgolf does his spines but that's his gig. check this out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOjr-_afKME
    ...oh sht...OH sht...OH SHI...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tweaky
    everyone i've done it for noticed the difference. i include it in the price. you can pull and re-use a shaft easily. I don't agree with how parrotgolf does his spines but that's his gig. check this out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOjr-_afKME
    Thanks! Appreciate it.

Doppelgänger

Quote Originally Posted by spanqdoggie
    Seriously, should anyone keep on living to just watch tv or internet or piss away your life?

Damn, even if it cost $1000 to get set up to make clubs for yourself and friends, acquaintances, etc... it would give you something to do, and learn and help people and meet friends... Our love for golf, etc. is not all about profit...

I dropped $5000 on a bicycle I like; others drop $1800 for 3 wedges... Get out there you bastards and live life...

It must be a guy thing; it is the stare and you go into some sort of thing, before a fight, when you both read each other's minds? Of course I would not fight a cop, as a police officer is a SYMBOL of authority; you do not disrespect a symbol...

Funny thing. My grandfather was one of the first ones to have a black partner, back in the day. My grandfather used to go to the bar with his black buddy/partner and say, "Get the n!gger a drink."

These two ended up loving each other, and my grandpa always called him "n!gger."

N!gger this and n!gger that..

So the irony is, my granddad got holed up in a situation where he had to take the heroin or lose his cover, and the 'n!gger' came in and saved his life...

Yes I may ramble!

spank
    I'm planning on buying a $6K mt. bike (carbon nomad w/van 180 fork & dhx5 160 shock) that i do not need tho I already got me a killa sweet ride

then sometime later my ffl dealer bud' will set me up with an american forged LRB m14sa rifle that i don't need

and i'm i'm buying couple of golf sticks, just to try 'em out

I gladlys spend 70% of all that i earn on a paycheck. what i mean is, savings and investments are needed just in case you don't die soon enough.

get out there you bastards and live life, but do keep some "ammo" in reserve...
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

Thread Information