|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

What's the best golf deal you've seen so far?

One good side to this crappy economy is the golf deals that keep popping up! I'm starting to see twilight rounds between $5-12 at a few local courses. What are you guys seeing in your areas?

Several golf courses around the area raised there rates from $65 to $100, but if you sign up for their rewards program you can play for $67...and they get to spam you daily with email about coming out to play.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Several clubs are waiving initiation in my area. Everyone is desperate for members except for the 2-3 best clubs. SPCC is not one of the 2-3 best clubs.
    Last year, we had a deal going where if you join up between Jan-March, there was $0 initiation, first 3 months free dues, and $500 in pro-shop credit.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by SDB1
    One good side to this crappy economy is the golf deals that keep popping up! I'm starting to see twilight rounds between $5-12 at a few local courses. What are you guys seeing in your areas?
    Lots of clubs in the greater Sacramento area are offering membership with no initiation fee. Some of the clubs that are offering this had initiation fees of $40,000 just 4 years ago. A few of the clubs have had to go public and you can play for $40 on weekdays. It's amazing how things have changed in such a short time.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    Lots of clubs in the greater Sacramento area are offering membership with no initiation fee. Some of the clubs that are offering this had initiation fees of $40,000 just 4 years ago. A few of the clubs have had to go public and you can play for $40 on weekdays. It's amazing how things have changed in such a short time.
    Yes, we've had a few clubs go semi-private, which is another way to say public. I remember playing a "semi-private" course a couple years back. They were having their club championship mixed in with a bunch of non-members with tee times. The members looked like they had their collective faces slapped.
    My club which is the farthest thing from prestigious, used to have initiation at $12k, then $9k, then $6k, now I think it's $1k. I got in on a membership drive 5 years ago at $1k.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

It is amazing how much initiation has plummeted here. The top clubs were up to $300,000 at the peak. The buzz is, some are taking $100,000. I know those numbers seems incredible and ridiculous to many of you, but this ain't the prairie, the cornfields or the edge of Kentucky, boys.

More affordable clubs have seen a decline of about the same proportion.

BTW, what's the difference between semi-private and public? Isn't it that you can buy a permanent membership not requiring annual renewal with the former, while the latter has no permanent members?
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    It is amazing how much initiation has plummeted here. The top clubs were up to $300,000 at the peak. The buzz is, some are taking $100,000. I know those numbers seems incredible and ridiculous to many of you, but this ain't the prairie, the cornfields or the edge of Kentucky, boys.

BTW, what's the difference between semi-private and public? Isn't it that you can buy a permanent membership not requiring annual renewal with the former, while the latter has no permanent members?
    I don't know if there is a single definition for semi-private. There are many annual renewal clubs around me that are more a strictly golf type of club. There are also former full service clubs that allow non-members to pay for pay, make tee times, etc., but not go to the pool, eat at the restaurant, play in comps, or rent a locker.
    Where my folks winter in Naples, the course they live on had a $150,000 intiation for community residents 5 years ago. Now it's $40,000, and I bet it could be negotiated down to $20,000. My folks don't golf so it's a non-issue for them.
    The problem with the 3 best clubs in the city is that they aren't accepting new members at any cost. The rest just fight for the scraps.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    I don't know if there is a single definition for semi-private. There are many annual renewal clubs around me that are more a strictly golf type of club. There are also former full service clubs that allow non-members to pay for pay, make tee times, etc., but not go to the pool, eat at the restaurant, play in comps, or rent a locker.
    Where my folks winter in Naples, the course they live on had a $150,000 intiation for community residents 5 years ago. Now it's $40,000, and I bet it could be negotiated down to $20,000. My folks don't golf so it's a non-issue for them.
    The problem with the 3 best clubs in the city is that they aren't accepting new members at any cost. The rest just fight for the scraps.
    It occurs to me by the time my son's out of school, alot of these clubs might be out of business and possibly provide some opportunity for those in my profession. Perhaps a chance to show the kid the ropes. All RE guys have at least a little vulture in them.

It's amazing to me the most established clubs in your area show more stability than a top, well heeled retirement area like Naples/Fort Myers. Must be something of a good sign for the local economy. But one of the reasons I never did much in the mid-west was because it never seems to go up or down much, which isn't the best characteristic when your competitors routinely see nothing but blue sky.
    GR lives...

Mt' Kidd, Kananaskis - Can't beat the mountain setting.
    Heading out on a golf trip on Monday that we got a great deal on.

6 nights accommodations and unlimited golf with a cart for 7 days. $500/person double occupancy.
    Choice of 3 different mountain courses to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverologist
    Heading out on a golf trip on Monday that we got a great deal on.

6 nights accommodations and unlimited golf with a cart for 7 days. $500/person double occupancy.
    Choice of 3 different mountain courses to play.
    I'll bet there are alot of great destination deals out there. I remember Bandon Dunes being alot easier to book this year. And there's another course for them to fill up. Didn't notice a big drop in rates, but good time to check on our reservation. Since you can cancel up to 2 weeks before, rates can drop but not go up vis a vis a particular reservation.
    GR lives...

I paid 800 for my membership to my local track and that is unlimited golf with a cart so its a pretty good deal.Should end up costing me about 5 bucks a round.
    It is a very tite course w tons of water so it may cost me 1000.00 in balls though.lol

Quote Originally Posted by DENNIS7180GOLF
    I paid 800 for my membership to my local track and that is unlimited golf with a cart so its a pretty good deal.Should end up costing me about 5 bucks a round.
    It is a very tite course w tons of water so it may cost me 1000.00 in balls though.lol
    That's an amazing deal if it's for an entire year. As long as the course is in decent shape and has the basics like a good range and pro shop that's all that matters. Fun golf is about the guys you play with and having a good skins or wolf game.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc

Semi-Private means they still get to tell you to tuck your shirt in before you tee off!

Some of the courses are asking the cart girls to give out free handjobs.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    Some of the courses are asking the cart girls to give out free handjobs.
    Why are you moving again????

Why are you moving again????
    Wait until the economy bottoms out. A mouth is better than a hand any day.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Wait until the economy bottoms out. A mouth is better than a hand any day.
    I am seriously not getting my money's worth out of our local cart girls!

I am seriously not getting my money's worth out of our local cart girls!
    A bush in the hand is worth two on the pole

Thread Information