|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: long irons?

Question long irons?

I want to add a 1-iron, as a "cleek" - a driving iron (I like its low and straighter tee shots, nearly as long as my 4-wood's), but have to decide what to remove:
    a 60* lob wedge (love and hate it: tend to hit them short)
    or
    a 20.5* "rescue" 6-wood that flys higher than my 3-iron, but goes the same distance, ~215 yds, that's more forgiving on roughs: I'm keeping the 3-iron for windy-day approach shots.

My least fav' shot is a 3- or 4- wood off the deck, but have been using one for tee shots for when I hook my driver.

What are your long irons and why do you like them?
    Last edited by ironman; 05-28-2010 at 12:30 PM.
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman
    I want to add a 1-iron, as a "cleek" - a driving iron (I like its low and straighter tee shots, nearly as long as my 4-wood's), but have to decide what to remove:
    a 60* lob wedge (love and hate it)
    or
    a 20.5* "rescue" 6-wood that flys higher than my 3-iron, but goes the same distance, ~220 yds, that's more forgiving on roughs: I'm keeping the 3-iron for windy-day approach shots.

My least fav' shot is a 3- or 4- wood off the deck, but have been using one for tee shots for when I hook my driver.

What are your long irons and why do you like them?
    Ironman, I have the similar problem of hitting either woods or hybrids off the tee or on a Par 3. I like the penetrating trajectory of a long iron. In addition, I have never had much success with a 60 degree wedge. I tend to hit them short. Another strange phenomenon with the LW is when I'm hitting a short pitch out of the rough. For whatever reason I sometimes get these low shots that come out of the rough and either end up too short or too long. I'd dump the LW.

I'd dump the 6 wood and the 60 degree wedge. I've found that 60 and 64 degree lob wedges are only good for pitching off really tight lies and are totally unreliable from the rough with their typical low bounce angles. With higher bounce angles, they are skull machines off tight lies. I would get a low lofted hybrid--I use a 16 degree--for more controlled tee shots and fairway approaches and that might even allow you to lose your 4 wood. Then you might want to consider a bit higher lofted hybrid for approaches from rough or fairway bunkers. I got a 25 degree 5H by Cobra that seems to fill that niche nicely. My 2 pfennigs.

Dump the hybrid. You don't need 2 clubs that go the same distance.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

I'm having great success with my 7 degree 0 iron; really long, straight, and forgiving. I'm thinking of getting a 4 degree -1 iron, but I haven't decided on mallet, blade, or some other less orthodox style.....Some of these -1 irons even come with curved shafts.........
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Me, I use a 19* hybrid for the two and three iron distance. I grip down on it for 195-205 and let it out for 210-215. I don't have a height problem with the hybrids, they fly low enough for me to play them in the wind and be steady with them... so I start at 4 iron and play PW plus 52-58-64 wedges.

I've been having GREAT results hitting that hybrid off the tee.. it's the perfect lay up tee club for anything that has trouble out at 240 +... and the hybrid is dead easy to hit straight.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Thread Information