|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

hybrids and driver shaft?

Anyone have this?

Hit a club at a local fitter - 21* with a driver shaft. Absolutely loved it. Wishon.

Loved how it felt, reacted, and performed.
    So much so I had the fitter build me a 24* with a driver shaft. Hit that this afternoon and loved it.

Anyone here of this and can offer opinion?

Is this a Thriver light?

Any opinions are appreciated.

If YOU hit it well, it's "right."

For me, that's all that matters.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Is it 45 inches or just a Driver shaft like a shortened ProForce v2?
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    Anyone have this?

Hit a club at a local fitter - 21* with a driver shaft. Absolutely loved it. Wishon.

So much so I had the fitter build me a 24* with a driver shaft. Hit that this afternoon and loved it.

Is this a Thriver light?

I use X flex in driver and three wood, but go to S in hybrids. I suppose I"m the opposite, feel wise.. I need extra firm in the longest shafts but not in the shorter ones...

how is the driver shaft shortened, from the butt end only or is it trimmed from both ends?

and no, it is not officially a thragina unless it has a clubhead larger than a three wood. A hybrid cannot approach thragina territory.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Anyone have this?

Is this a Thriver light?

Different strokes for different folks... I have a 21* Nickent hybrid which was extended to a 5-wood length... I play 47" driver, in fact all of my drivers (TEE, TEE XCG, Cally 2004 BB) are 47" and I hve no problem controlling them ... Yes, I need 47" drivers to keep up with the big boys

Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic
    Is it 45 inches or just a Driver shaft like a shortened ProForce v2?
    39.5 inches.

Im not sure where the thing is trimmed - I presume from the butt end.

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    Different strokes for different folks... I have a 21* Nickent hybrid which was extended to a 5-wood length... I play 47" driver, in fact all of my drivers (TEE, TEE XCG, Cally 2004 BB) are 47" and I hve no problem controlling them ... Yes, I need 47" drivers to keep up with the big boys
    kudos to you for being able to control them at 47"

all of my drivers are 44.5 or shorter.

The dribrid. Interesting. I can't think of a time where I would have any use for such a club.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    The dribrid. Interesting. I can't think of a time where I would have any use for such a club.
    That's nothing; you should see the dredge and the drutter.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

kudos to you for being able to control them at 47"

all of my drivers are 44.5 or shorter.
    LH: maybe you are much taller than I am. Even with 47" driver I still can't keep up with those long hitters.... Seriously, my goal is not to keep up with those guys because I can't, I just want to get the most distance and still able to control the ball. I can't drive far (210-225) at my age, once in a while I poke one at 250, but that's one in a blue moon... but luckily for me, I could hit 75-80% on fairways... still does not help me much with 400-yd par 4, very little chance for a par, let alone birdie on 400-yds par 4... Shììittttt

LH: maybe you are much taller than I am. Even with 47" driver I still can't keep up with those long hitters.... Seriously, my goal is not to keep up with those guys because I can't, I just want to get the most distance and still able to control the ball. I can't drive far (210-225) at my age, once in a while I poke one at 250, but that's one in a blue moon... but luckily for me, I could hit 75-80% on fairways... still does not help me much with 400-yd par 4, very little chance for a par, let alone birdie on 400-yds par 4... Shììittttt
    Im 5'11 and go about 215. 42 yrs old. I think its awesome you have worked your gear to best help you play some good golf! Im doing the same!

Does the shaft on a 47" driver seem 'wobbly' or do you have to stiffen it up quite a bit? Just curious.

I have suffered the same getting-old-lacking driver-distance disease for years. I had a DGS300 46" shaft fitted to a Taylor head 20 years ago and that helped on 1 of 3 drives but it was too heavy for me. Then I jumped on the Killer Bee bandwagon with its 46" graphite shaft. Again, 1 out of 3 which was good only in scrambles. Even got a cheap used Cleveland Launcher 11.5* with 47" graphite shaft. Played on round with it and only hit one decent drive. Into the trash pile. Then I hit paydirt with my first Titleist 975D and, through the succession of their "unforgiving" bore-through heads, have found that I can hit near enough to the sweet spot with regularity 75% of my drives. The key for me is to have the shafts butt-tipped to 44-44.5" and to have the right shaft in the proper flex. Experimenting with shafts with bore-throughs can be expensively so recently I've been hitting a bunch of used drivers at the local Golf Galaxy trying to get the feel for what I need and comparing the computer numbers, especially the relationship between clubhead speed and ball speed. I don't care about launch angle or distance off the mat because I can adjust that in real play. I've had Pro Lite 3.5's in stiff and YS-6's in stiff and regular. I've got a 905R in the shop now awaiting the installation of a Proforce V2 75 in regular flex at 44.5". Hope that will be my stick. All I want is 240-250 vs. 210-225.

Im 5'11 and go about 215. 42 yrs old. I think its awesome you have worked your gear to best help you play some good golf! Im doing the same!

Does the shaft on a 47" driver seem 'wobbly' or do you have to stiffen it up quite a bit? Just curious.
    LH....I got into the 47" shaft by accident 2 yrs ago. I heard a lot of good thing about the TEE driver so I got an used/almost new 10.5* TEE off eBay which came with Aldila NV R-flex green. I loved it after the first swing without knowing it's 47" until I compared it with my friend's 46" Taylor Made driver... Ohhhh Shiiittt... I eBayed another TEE (same head but with 55-g Fuji R-flex shaft), it's 45" and I could tell right away at a local range that I don't have the same distance, so I have it extended to 47" and I regained my distance. After I feel comfortable with 47' drivers, I extended my Cally 2004 BB 360cc driver to 47" as well. I am in a process of exchanging my TEE/Aldila NV with my brother's TEE XCG/47" X-Quad R-flex shaft. he loved my driver and could not hit his XCG so we exchange our drivers since I can hit his XCG very well, maybe even better than my TEE
    My SS was recorded at 88-90 . I am 59.5 and 5'6", so I take 220 drive on fairways any day. Yes, extended shaft would make it feel less R, but at my SS I do not have any problem

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel
    I have suffered the same getting-old-lacking driver-distance disease for years. I had a DGS300 46" shaft fitted to a Taylor head 20 years ago and that helped on 1 of 3 drives but it was too heavy for me. Then I jumped on the Killer Bee bandwagon with its 46" graphite shaft. Again, 1 out of 3 which was good only in scrambles. Even got a cheap used Cleveland Launcher 11.5* with 47" graphite shaft. Played on round with it and only hit one decent drive. Into the trash pile. Then I hit paydirt with my first Titleist 975D and, through the succession of their "unforgiving" bore-through heads, have found that I can hit near enough to the sweet spot with regularity 75% of my drives. The key for me is to have the shafts butt-tipped to 44-44.5" and to have the right shaft in the proper flex. Experimenting with shafts with bore-throughs can be expensively so recently I've been hitting a bunch of used drivers at the local Golf Galaxy trying to get the feel for what I need and comparing the computer numbers, especially the relationship between clubhead speed and ball speed. I don't care about launch angle or distance off the mat because I can adjust that in real play. I've had Pro Lite 3.5's in stiff and YS-6's in stiff and regular. I've got a 905R in the shop now awaiting the installation of a Proforce V2 75 in regular flex at 44.5". Hope that will be my stick. All I want is 240-250 vs. 210-225.
    Let me know if you could get that distance with your 44.5" driver (total length from end to end of a club)... I tried and I can't

Let me know if you could get that distance with your 44.5" driver (total length from end to end of a club)... I tried and I can't
    Before I got the 905r, I picked up a 905T with regular flex YS-6+ to try to improve over my 983K. I played a round with the T at 45" then took it and had an inch lopped off the butt and played it another round and it was worse. Then I figured out that it needed a couple of grams on the head to balance it and then it was much better. This winter in Florida I could get 230 carry and 10-25 extra roll, a little longer than the 905T with stiff YS-6+ at 45". I figure the new Proforce with its real low torgue and regular flex can enable me to really go after it without losing it left or right and maybe get me a few past 250.

Anyone have this?

Is this a Thriver light?

Hybrid shafts are produced to play best in hybrid clubs. Driver shafts are produced for drivers. Light shines on glass head.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel
    Before I got the 905r, I picked up a 905T with regular flex YS-6+ to try to improve over my 983K. I played a round with the T at 45" then took it and had an inch lopped off the butt and played it another round and it was worse. Then I figured out that it needed a couple of grams on the head to balance it and then it was much better. This winter in Florida I could get 230 carry and 10-25 extra roll, a little longer than the 905T with stiff YS-6+ at 45". I figure the new Proforce with its real low torgue and regular flex can enable me to really go after it without losing it left or right and maybe get me a few past 250.
    It would be great if it works for you... I was able to hit 250yds 10 yrs ago, but no more... They say we would loose 5 yds every year if we played with the same driver , maybe some truth to it

It would be great if it works for you... I was able to hit 250yds 10 yrs ago, but no more... They say we would loose 5 yds every year if we played with the same driver , maybe some truth to it
    5 yards is too much. That's 50 yards in 10 years and there's no way I would hit my old driver that much shorter than today's equipment. I've been playing the same courses over the last 20 years and some of my record drives on particular holes are with my 1986 Taylormade Tour Burner 9 degree driver with the tiny head.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    5 yards is too much. That's 50 yards in 10 years and there's no way I would hit my old driver that much shorter than today's equipment. I've been playing the same courses over the last 20 years and some of my record drives on particular holes are with my 1986 Taylormade Tour Burner 9 degree driver with the tiny head.
    You make an interesting point in the modern driversgo further debate. All of my longest ever drives were with small headed drivers. All my really long bombs were in my early 30s when I had a GBB and a 975JS. Granted, boh clubs had modern shafts (Pro Force 75 S, and Graf Blue S) but if you listen to the OEm hype you would think that todays modern driver heads are 50 yards further than clubs of 5 or 10 years ago. I've actually read an article somewhere that sai if you played an old persimmon driver with a modern 45 inch graphite shaft you would get the same distance form a centre hit as you would from a current driver. 460cc drivers obviously provide greater forgiveness, but as far as distance goes the shafts are where it's at.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Hybrid shafts are produced to play best in hybrid clubs. Driver shafts are produced for drivers. Light shines on glass head.
    That sounds like that Tibet wisdom sh+t again.

This is the same type of logic you tried to bring to the lob wedge debate FD. I thought you may have learned by now not to attempt to use logic or common sense in a GR debate.
    Instead try to and use abuse and ridicule. They seem to produce the best results.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    You make an interesting point in the modern driversgo further debate. All of my longest ever drives were with small headed drivers. All my really long bombs were in my early 30s when I had a GBB and a 975JS. Granted, boh clubs had modern shafts (Pro Force 75 S, and Graf Blue S) but if you listen to the OEm hype you would think that todays modern driver heads are 50 yards further than clubs of 5 or 10 years ago. I've actually read an article somewhere that sai if you played an old persimmon driver with a modern 45 inch graphite shaft you would get the same distance form a centre hit as you would from a current driver. 460cc drivers obviously provide greater forgiveness, but as far as distance goes the shafts are where it's at.
    They don't extend the yardage of PGA courses for no reason. Today's clubs are far more better for distance due to technology. That's how and why we could hit decent distance with old age... Believe in science

They don't extend the yardage of PGA courses for no reason. Today's clubs are far more better for distance due to technology. That's how and why we could hit decent distance with old age... Believe in science
    It's not just the clubs. The ball has had just as much impact, or even more, on the distance increases in the last decade.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

I'm not saying they aren't hitting it further, I'm saying that 460cc heads don't go any further than older clubheads with everything else being equal. Obviously the extra forgiveness of 460cc means consistently longer drives, but the longest drives I hit 5 and 10 years ago are every bit as long as my longest drives these days. As OP has said, golf balls are designed to go further too. And launch monitors have also been a huge factor in extra distance.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Maybe so but I cant ignore the results I saw for myself hitting the thing. The feel of the thing throughout the swing was great.

Then again I admit to being really tired and so Im not following you completely - are you popping off?

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    I find that I use the one hybrid in my bag, which is more or less a 5 wood fill in. once maybe a round, very seldom twice, sometimes none. I can stare at the ball in a crappy lie, 200 yards out and go hybrid can get me there, if I get a hold of it. Or a 7 iron will get me 160-170 and in near perfect position. If theres trouble on the left, the hybrids staying in the bag. I,m finding that a hybrid is harder to get through thick rough than a 7-8 iron. And a hybrid with a longer shaft would be a uncontrollable hook monster for me.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Just wanted to point out that carrying a hybrid over 19* is a b1tchmove. I suspect any shaft in the world would be pretty easy hit in a 24* hybrid head.

FD, you might be wrong this time. A 24* hybrid is clearly designed for old fuuckers with slow swing speeds. A driver shaft might be necessary for guys who don't play from the red tees.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    I'm not saying they aren't hitting it further, I'm saying that 460cc heads don't go any further than older clubheads with everything else being equal. Obviously the extra forgiveness of 460cc means consistently longer drives, but the longest drives I hit 5 and 10 years ago are every bit as long as my longest drives these days. As OP has said, golf balls are designed to go further too. And launch monitors have also been a huge factor in extra distance.
    This is the confusing part about the distance debate. It seems like the PGA Tour pros are the ones that have gained the greatest advantage with the new equipment. The increase in distance they've enjoyed is way more than I've seen in my own game. To give an example, back in 1997 I owned a Mizuno T3 Titanium Driver that I used up until 2002. At most I think I hit my current driver (Callaway Hyper X Tour Driver) maybe 10-15 yards longer on average but mainly because it's so much bigger and I get better results from mishits. On perfect hits I would guess they go about the same distance. Still, some of my longest drives ever were with the old Taylormade Tour burner driver (the original with S300 steel shaft). Nicklaus says it's the ball and now he's saying that he thinks they've juiced the ball up again. That may explain why some of these pros hit 190 yard 8 irons. However, in my case that's not true. I don't hit the ball any further than I ever did with my Ping Eye 2's and I've been playing them for 20 years. Of course, I am 41 years old now. Back with the Taylormade I was 22.

Anyone have this?

Is this a Thriver light?

I'm not quite sure what you are asking here but the cobra pro's use driver shafts. So, yes I have two, a 16* with a Pro Launch Red, and a 20* with a DG S300. Honestly it kinda p!sses me off because I would rather play a KBS or Project X shaft but they only make then in hybrid and iron shafts. In the future I'm going to make sure the hybrid I purchase uses a hybrid shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    It's not just the clubs. The ball has had just as much impact, or even more, on the distance increases in the last decade.
    You are absolute correct, OP... yes ball technology has some contributions as well

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    I'm not quite sure what you are asking here but the cobra pro's use driver shafts. So, yes I have two, a 16* with a Pro Launch Red, and a 20* with a DG S300. Honestly it kinda p!sses me off because I would rather play a KBS or Project X shaft but they only make then in hybrid and iron shafts. In the future I'm going to make sure the hybrid I purchase uses a hybrid shaft.
    Guess I was kinda asking if anyone ever had driver shafts in their hybrids?

Guess Im a novice? I had never thought of it....

When I was hitting the 21* in the shop I just loved the feel of it and the performance. Fitter said it was a driver shaft. Loved it.

So now I have a 24* build with a driver shaft and a 19* hibore retro-fitted with a driver shaft. Both steel. I watched the fitter build the 19* today. Very interesting process how he gets the specs to match up to the 24* he built.

Not sure about your last sentence either but oh well...

This is the confusing part about the distance debate. It seems like the PGA Tour pros are the ones that have gained the greatest advantage with the new equipment. The increase in distance they've enjoyed is way more than I've seen in my own game. To give an example, back in 1997 I owned a Mizuno T3 Titanium Driver that I used up until 2002. At most I think I hit my current driver (Callaway Hyper X Tour Driver) maybe 10-15 yards longer on average but mainly because it's so much bigger and I get better results from mishits. On perfect hits I would guess they go about the same distance. Still, some of my longest drives ever were with the old Taylormade Tour burner driver (the original with S300 steel shaft). Nicklaus says it's the ball and now he's saying that he thinks they've juiced the ball up again. That may explain why some of these pros hit 190 yard 8 irons. However, in my case that's not true. I don't hit the ball any further than I ever did with my Ping Eye 2's and I've been playing them for 20 years. Of course, I am 41 years old now. Back with the Taylormade I was 22.
    I honestly don't know how much equipment has affected my distance over the years. I know I hit the ball much further than I did 12 years ago, because I've gotten to be a better golfer. I do know there was a tech leap about 10 years ago with drivers. I used to play a TM Burner (Firesole maybe), but when I started playing a Cleveland Quadpro, my good hits were going much further. Or course, this was before fitting, launch monitors, etc. so I may have just found a right fit for my swing.
    My Ping G2 from 5 or 6 years ago goes just as far as my current driver, just not as accurate.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Thread Information