|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

ust V2 75 vs. prolaunch red

I had a G10 driver that was confiscated by my protoge offspring. It had the prolaunch red shaft which i hit well. On average probably 275 or so hitting about 40 to 50 % of the fairways. My ball flight was mid to high. I was able to get another with a reg. shaft which i need to change. I was told by a guy at Golf Galaxy that I should go with a UST V2 75 gram. He said that my ball flight was a little lower and I would gain 10 to 15 yards, and would be able to tighten my dispersion and gain some accuracy. My question is was he trying to sell me something or are the UST shafts better than the prolaunch ? My swingspeed on the monitor while not as high as most was pretty consistent between 108 and 112. Also before i pull the trigger on a shaft do any of you have suggestions on any other shafts than the graf or ust. Thanks

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Quote Originally Posted by emmanmin
    I had a G10 driver that was confiscated by my protoge offspring. It had the prolaunch red shaft which i hit well. On average probably 275 or so hitting about 40 to 50 % of the fairways. My ball flight was mid to high. I was able to get another with a reg. shaft which i need to change. I was told by a guy at Golf Galaxy that I should go with a UST V2 75 gram. He said that my ball flight was a little lower and I would gain 10 to 15 yards, and would be able to tighten my dispersion and gain some accuracy. My question is was he trying to sell me something or are the UST shafts better than the prolaunch ? My swingspeed on the monitor while not as high as most was pretty consistent between 108 and 112. Also before i pull the trigger on a shaft do any of you have suggestions on any other shafts than the graf or ust. Thanks
    I could get used to hitting the proforce v2s. I have 3 of them. I,ve enjoyed hitting them all. It sounds like you hit that prolaunch pretty good though. I stick with what works the best.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    One of my favorites is a Rombax 6x07 stiff should work for your swing speed, as they play a little stiff. I have a medium boring ball flight with this shaft with lots of roll. They make a z or w series that has even lower ballflight.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

I just had my 905R reshafted with a V2 75 in regular flex replacing a YS-6+ in stiff. I had a 983K with Prolite 3.5 in stiff that was way too hard to hit but would produce a bomb once in awhile. While I have yet to play with the 905R, I've hit 100 balls or so and it feels real solid and the stiff tip let's me put a real hard swing on it without any tip deflection leaving the face open at impact. Also I can now get the trajectory I should be getting based on the shot I'm trying to hit. With the softer tipped YS, when I tried to hit lower stinger drives I ended up with smothered worm burners and now the ball goes off hot with a slight draw like the Lord intended. I'm 63 and can muster about 100 mph clubhead speed with my 100% on course swing. I liked the shaft so much that I picked up a used 905T the Golf Galaxy had in 8.5* with a V2 65 in stiff. I haven't used that low a loft in 20 years but with the shaft, I can nail it with a great trajectory and it may end up kicking the 905R out of the bag or I may play both of them. Also had them put an 84 gram UST hybrid shaft in my Rescue Mid 16* which has transformed that one. I'm a UST fan and they are so comparatively cheap that you haven't lost much if you end up not hitting them well.

my V2 in X flex plays a tiny bit soft compared to most X shafts, which makes it perfect for me.. more of a stiff plus than a pure tour X.... but I have hit the pro launch red and liked it..
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

I was recently fitted for a shaft in my driver after I broke my other one. The guy who evaluated my played pro for a while and definitely knows his stuff. My 100% swing ran up in the mid 120s, so I'm looking for a shaft a bit stiffer than you, but not too much. The 2 shafts the guy recommended to me were a UST Axivcore Tour Green or an Aldila Voodoo NV both in X-flex and the ~80gram models. Both lines of those shafts would be good for the swing speed you have and they have different weights so you can choose your kick point and torque to optimize your ball flight. Hope that helps some.
    Last edited by cjandrews91; 07-08-2010 at 08:02 AM.
    Driver: Cobra S9-1 Pro D 9.5* Proforce V2 Prototype TX flex
    3w: Titleist 980f Strong 15* Proforce V2 85x
    Hybrid: Titleist 585h 17* Proforce V2 105x
    Irons: Mizuno MP 62 3i-PW s300
    Wedges: 52* Vokey C-C 52* S200
    56* Cleveland Tour Action 900 Rifle spinner 6.0
    Putter: Cleveland Classic Satin 4.5

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel
    I just had my 905R reshafted with a V2 75 in regular flex replacing a YS-6+ in stiff. I had a 983K with Prolite 3.5 in stiff that was way too hard to hit but would produce a bomb once in awhile. While I have yet to play with the 905R, I've hit 100 balls or so and it feels real solid and the stiff tip let's me put a real hard swing on it without any tip deflection leaving the face open at impact. Also I can now get the trajectory I should be getting based on the shot I'm trying to hit. With the softer tipped YS, when I tried to hit lower stinger drives I ended up with smothered worm burners and now the ball goes off hot with a slight draw like the Lord intended. I'm 63 and can muster about 100 mph clubhead speed with my 100% on course swing. I liked the shaft so much that I picked up a used 905T the Golf Galaxy had in 8.5* with a V2 65 in stiff. I haven't used that low a loft in 20 years but with the shaft, I can nail it with a great trajectory and it may end up kicking the 905R out of the bag or I may play both of them. Also had them put an 84 gram UST hybrid shaft in my Rescue Mid 16* which has transformed that one. I'm a UST fan and they are so comparatively cheap that you haven't lost much if you end up not hitting them well.
    I had an old 983E 9.5 with a Pro Lite 3.5 stiff in it and I had similar experiences to you. It would produce absolute bombs when loaded properly, but it was definitely a boardy shaft with a high bend point and very stiff tip.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

v2 shaft is great shaft but there are a few different types that have different torque. make sure you get the right one. they have great feel.

that is a little odd that you hit the grafalloy red with a mid/high trajectory if you are a low ball hitter. my understanding is the grafalloy red is a tip still shaft with high kickpoint so it will bring the trajectory down. i have a hi-bore xl with fujikura red shaft made for cleveland with similar characteristics to the grafalloy red and trajectory is low.

Quote Originally Posted by aliikane
    v2 shaft is great shaft but there are a few different types that have different torque. make sure you get the right one. they have great feel.

that is a little odd that you hit the grafalloy red with a mid/high trajectory if you are a low ball hitter. my understanding is the grafalloy red is a tip still shaft with high kickpoint so it will bring the trajectory down. i have a hi-bore xl with fujikura red shaft made for cleveland with similar characteristics to the grafalloy red and trajectory is low.
    I found it a little odd too. It's not like it was balooning or anything but it was higher than I was supposed to be hitting it. Surprised the guy who was fitting me too. I hit them out on the range this weekend and actually thought there was not much difference. Maybe five yards distance total. Accuracy surprisingly enough was pretty good with both. ( I think the lessons and range time have contributed to that) I have been hitting 300 balls 3x a week now for the last 3 weeks. My next round will be Friday so i'm looking forward to seeing how all of this translates to the course. Hopefully i will score well.

Quote Originally Posted by emmanmin
    I found it a little odd too. It's not like it was balooning or anything but it was higher than I was supposed to be hitting it. Surprised the guy who was fitting me too. I hit them out on the range this weekend and actually thought there was not much difference. Maybe five yards distance total. Accuracy surprisingly enough was pretty good with both. ( I think the lessons and range time have contributed to that) I have been hitting 300 balls 3x a week now for the last 3 weeks. My next round will be Friday so i'm looking forward to seeing how all of this translates to the course. Hopefully i will score well.
    You'd better hope you haven't been doing anything wrong, because doing something wrong 900 times a week for 3 weeks would hard to unlearn.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Thread Information