|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Chicks, Flicks and new Sticks?

I've been looking at a couple of used sets at Golf Mart and can't decide what to get. They're having a 20% off used clubs sale so I need to pounce.

Mizuno Comp-EZ: They're in great condition and the price is $79 with the 20% off. These feel the great off of the indoor mat. I like the Dynamic Gold Plus shafts in S300. It's an oversized head with very little offset.

Taylormade 320 Irons with S90 shafts. I think these came out in 2001. This set is practically new with no signs of usage. They are $160. I like the look and feel of these but they are about 1/4 inch longer than standard than other standard length irons. I think Taylormade always makes their clubs a little longer.

Hogan Radial: $49 used in good shape. These feel fantastic but I'm worried about losing distance. They are 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch shorter than the other two irons. These look and feel the best of the three. This would give me the opportunity to try playing a forged iron with almost no investment. They're $39 after the discount.

As for the Chicks and Flicks...that was just teaser marketing.

World Woods Golf Club - Pine Barrens course
    Snap up those Hogans.

That's a no brainer.

They have anything kewl and cheap in lefty?

Lemme know....
    SMT 455db 9* - Accuflex VS339 X
    Sonartec SS-03 - TT DG S400
    KZG Forged Blades 3-PW - Rifle Project X 7.0
    KZG Forged Raw 52*, 56*, 60* - Rifle Spinner 6.5
    Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1
    Titleist ProV1x
    Cash for the beer cart and a quarter to mark my ball

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_h
    Snap up those Hogans.

That's a no brainer.

They have anything kewl and cheap in lefty?

Lemme know....
    I bought the Mizuno Comp-EZ irons. I wanted to get the Hogans but they were shorter than the Radial standard. They had mid-size grips so I bought 8 Golf Pride Tour Wrap in the color white. The new tour wrap is a little tackier than the old one and feels better. Of course, now I'm in laborious process of changing the grips. I like how these irons have little offset and a less-rounded toe..gives me more confidence in fading the ball.

I also bought an Odyssey Black Series #3 putter for $69 in perfect condition. Someone regripped the club with an genuine leather grip (red in color). I haven't seen one of these grips before but it must be expensive. It's got laces on the underside but I think you slip it on.

I didn't look at the left handed clubs but you'd need to be in San Diego to get them anyway. I'm living here now and love the number of golf stores.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I bought the Mizuno Comp-EZ irons. I wanted to get the Hogans but they were shorter than the Radial standard. They had mid-size grips so I bought 8 Golf Pride Tour Wrap in the color white. The new tour wrap is a little tackier than the old one and feels better. Of course, now I'm in laborious process of changing the grips. I like how these irons have little offset and a less-rounded toe..gives me more confidence in fading the ball.

I also bought an Odyssey Black Series #3 putter for $69 in perfect condition. Someone regripped the club with an genuine leather grip (red in color). I haven't seen one of these grips before but it must be expensive. It's got laces on the underside but I think you slip it on.

I didn't look at the left handed clubs but you'd need to be in San Diego to get them anyway. I'm living here now and love the number of golf stores.
    Sounds like they are a good choice FD. However I seem to remember recently you posted a list of you future intentions in golf and on the list was a desire to stop changing iron sets as you felt it probably hurt and not helped your game. Have you changed your mind? I am not really having a go as I have more iron sets than you can shake a stick at. And when sets are so cheap it is hard to resist. I have actually been selling off a few recently, but none of my favorites.
    I am still enjoying the eye 2's at present and they are going very well. I have actually recently aquired a set of plusses in be-cu 2-sw. Matching serials 2-pw with perfect shaft bands and original grips. The grooves are in fantastic condition and they have all the original patina. The only issue was they had the KT shaft which I hated. i had an older set of well used square grooves which had ZZ lites, so at the moment my club builder is swapping out the shafts so i will end up with my perfect set. They should be ready tomorrow. i have a standby set of stainless steel plusses which are currently in the bag. In Australia I have to play the plusses as the square groove are not legal for play under the R&A rules.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

World Woods Golf Club - Pine Barrens course
    ........I didn't look at the left handed clubs but you'd need to be in San Diego to get them anyway. I'm living here now and love the number of golf stores.
    Yeah, I know you're in SoCal. If there were any sweet deals to be had, I'd grease your palm to ship them to me.
    SMT 455db 9* - Accuflex VS339 X
    Sonartec SS-03 - TT DG S400
    KZG Forged Blades 3-PW - Rifle Project X 7.0
    KZG Forged Raw 52*, 56*, 60* - Rifle Spinner 6.5
    Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1
    Titleist ProV1x
    Cash for the beer cart and a quarter to mark my ball

Yeah, I know you're in SoCal. If there were any sweet deals to be had, I'd grease your palm to ship them to me.
    I'll look at the lefties next time I go.

OP, it's probably only a matter of time before I go back to the Eye 2's. Just so you know, the KT shaft was replaced by the KT-M shaft because the KT tended to bend or break in the Zing. Not sure if that happens with the Eye 2. Hit 'em well.

Famousdavis it is painfully obvious that this is just a desperate attempt to join the exclusive GR GFF Crew, something you've obviously coveted for months. Pretending you were seriously considering the Taylormades or Hogans is just silly.

I'm not sure if those Mizuno Comp-EZ qualify as they are a bit too shovel like. This may need to go to the GFF Cabal or a binding poll however given your background and well known affiliation to Ping shovels there are a few other steps required before you can be considered for GFF Membership:

1. Publicly denounce Ping shovels as cast, POS, CB shovels suitable only for sod laying choppers with particular emphasis on the PING Eye 2 model.

2. Sell or destroy all and any Ping irons you currently own.

3. Publicly announce that GFF blades are the greatest irons in the world, always have been and always will be.

Submit proof of steps 1-3 with your application and it will be considered by the GR GFF Crew in due course.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Famousdavis it is painfully obvious that this is just a desperate attempt to join the exclusive GR GFF Crew, something you've obviously coveted for months. Pretending you were seriously considering the Taylormades or Hogans is just silly.

I'm not sure if those Mizuno Comp-EZ qualify as they are a bit too shovel like. This may need to go to the GFF Cabal or a binding poll however given your background and well known affiliation to Ping shovels there are a few other steps required before you can be considered for GFF Membership:

1. Publicly denounce Ping shovels as cast, POS, CB shovels suitable only for sod laying choppers with particular emphasis on the PING Eye 2 model.

3. Publicly announce that GFF blades are the greatest irons in the world, always have been and always will be.

Submit proof of steps 1-3 with your application and it will be considered by the GR GFF Crew in due course.
    First of all, I wasn't attempting to join your GFF fan club. Are the Comp-EZ's GFF? I'm simply trying to find irons that suit my game. I will never denounce the Ping Eye 2 irons as they are some of the finest irons ever created. Who knows? Some day you may find yourself playing a set and finally playing better. I like the Comp-EZ's because they have little to no offset and will enable me to hit an amazing fade. I will let you know how they perform. Until then, there is no fan club for me to join.

Holy Grips Batman! I went online to look up the putter grip that came with the Odyssey Black Series putter I bought yesterday. It's a Grip Master leather grip and it costs $44.95 new! I went to the website and noticed that John Daly has his own line of grips with this company. One of the iron grips costs $44.95 as well. That's $360 before tax to regrip 8 irons. If you want to regrip all 14 clubs that would set you back only $630. I think the leather grips would probably knock 2 strokes off my score. It might just be worth it. I think Burndog should regrip his $600 Scratch wedges with these grips.

Holy Grips Batman! I went online to look up the putter grip that came with the Odyssey Black Series putter I bought yesterday. It's a Grip Master leather grip and it costs $44.95 new! I went to the website and noticed that John Daly has his own line of grips with this company. One of the iron grips costs $44.95 as well. That's $360 before tax to regrip 8 irons. If you want to regrip all 14 clubs that would set you back only $630. I think the leather grips would probably knock 2 strokes off my score. It might just be worth it. I think Burndog should regrip his $600 Scratch wedges with these grips.
    It needs to knock 4 strokes off your cap before you should outlay that kind of dough.

Now where the f#ck am I?

You should have gone with the Hogans FD. The Comp EZs are a really good set of forged CBs from all reports, but you sounded like you liked the Hogans more, and you have only hit the Mizzys off a mat and we know that means less than nothing.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Kiwi, I agree with most of your assessment, but we all know that Pings cannot be destroyed. They are made of the hardest (harshest) steel in the known universe.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Kiwi, I agree with most of your assessment, but we all know that Pings cannot be destroyed. They are made of the hardest (harshest) steel in the known universe.
    Good point, Ok as long as he buries them in a landfill and gets a certificate to prove it.

Just think in 2000 years some archaeological geek will dig them up and mistakenly assume they've discovered some ancient farming implements.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Good point, Ok as long as he buries them in a landfill and gets a certificate to prove it.

Just think in 2000 years some archaeological geek will dig them up and mistakenly assume they've discovered some ancient farming implements.
    You mean "mistakenly assume they've discovered some ancient golf implements" instead of the sod laying shovels they are.

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    First of all, I wasn't attempting to join your GFF fan club. Are the Comp-EZ's GFF? I'm simply trying to find irons that suit my game. I will never denounce the Ping Eye 2 irons as they are some of the finest irons ever created. Who knows? Some day you may find yourself playing a set and finally playing better. I like the Comp-EZ's because they have little to no offset and will enable me to hit an amazing fade. I will let you know how they perform. Until then, there is no fan club for me to join.
    I have been working on hitting fades alot more often, as my iron flight was always a slight draw, Fades were tough for me. But lately I hit fades on demand, and love the option now.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    You should have gone with the Hogans FD. The Comp EZs are a really good set of forged CBs from all reports, but you sounded like you liked the Hogans more, and you have only hit the Mizzys off a mat and we know that means less than nothing.
    I returned them and got a set of Titleist 990 irons, 3-PW, with Dynamic Gold Lite S-200 shafts. I've hit these before and liked them.

I'm about to sell the Titleist CB-s. They're RH but you're a clubfitter for pete's sake. Just bend them LH.
    GR lives...

Kiwi Player

It needs to knock 4 strokes off your cap before you should outlay that kind of dough.
    The fastest way to knock off those strokes is with your Putter! Your greens and Fairways numbers are just fine...start concentrating on those putts, they reduce you scores instantly!

Quote Originally Posted by kamima
    The fastest way to knock off those strokes is with your Putter! Your greens and Fairways numbers are just fine...start concentrating on those putts, they reduce you scores instantly!
    Looks like you forgot to include the link.
    GR lives...

I returned them and got a set of Titleist 990 irons, 3-PW, with Dynamic Gold Lite S-200 shafts. I've hit these before and liked them.
    One of the better irons Titty has brought out. With those shafts they sound like a sweet set. The DCI 962 and 990 are the only Titty irons I would consider putting in the bag.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Thread Information