|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Open Championship - Tips n Picks

Hey Chaps I was just wondering what everyone's picks for the Open Championship @ St.Andrews are???

I have gone for the obvious and three outside bets:

Tiger
    Darren Clarke
    Justin Leonard
    Ernie Els

Good to know your feelings on who will lift the Claret Jug??

The Open Championship was played at Pebble Beach a few weeks ago. It was won by some dude named Golden Graham. He is from France, I think.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

I wouldn't say Tiger is an outside bet just yet. The British Open offers Tiger a respite from temptation, since everyone knows he's into tanned blond chicks with huge fake titties. I doubt Tiger is going to be tempted by some pasty flat-chested redhead with crooked teeth.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Guys,

You are funny!

The Open Championship is and will always be held in the UK. The US Open is held in the US. Just check the official websites for the official names!

Also Tiger is my non-outsider bet. I think he has a great chance!! I said I have backed one "obvious" and three "outside" bets.

Also not all American women are beautiful... some of the girls Tiger was booling were dogs!! There are many Scottish beauties and I am not Scottish.

Quote Originally Posted by Pottsy
    Guys,

You are funny!

The Open Championship is and will always be held in the UK. The US Open is held in the US. Just check the official websites for the official names!

Also Tiger is my non-outsider bet. I think he has a great chance!! I said I have backed one "obvious" and three "outside" bets.

Also not all American women are beautiful... some of the girls Tiger was booling were dogs!! There are many Scottish beauties and I am not Scottish.
    Is Darren Clarke in the field? Did he have to qualify? I like the guy's style, but he has fallen on some bad golf lately.
    The word "Open" means different things to different people. For me, The Greater Milwaukee Open is the "Open." For Lorenzo, the "Open" is any cougar on the prowl. For you, it's the British Open.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Is Darren Clarke in the field? Did he have to qualify? I like the guy's style, but he has fallen on some bad golf lately.
    The word "Open" means different things to different people. For me, The Greater Milwaukee Open is the "Open." For Lorenzo, the "Open" is any cougar on the prowl. For you, it's the British Open.
    Pottsy, HB's being extremely gracious allowing you personal choice here. Fact is, no matter what terms have been presumptuously used in the past, any tournament where players could hit 5 iron off any tee isn't "The" anything. Certainly not "The Open."

So I'm going to go with The Greater Milwaukee Open here as well where the guys at times pull driver and where challenge doesn't rely on Mother Nature to vomit on the players. It isn't that your people haven't made contributions to golf. In fact, British teeth were the original inspiration for doglegs.
    GR lives...

How about Rose, Westwood, McDowell, Stricker, Poulter, Casey, and the hybrids/long putter hobbit Tim Clarke?

World Woods Golf Club - Pine Barrens course
    Guys,

You are funny!

[hilljack_voice]"you ain't from around here, is ya?[/hillhack_voice]
    SMT 455db 9* - Accuflex VS339 X
    Sonartec SS-03 - TT DG S400
    KZG Forged Blades 3-PW - Rifle Project X 7.0
    KZG Forged Raw 52*, 56*, 60* - Rifle Spinner 6.5
    Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1
    Titleist ProV1x
    Cash for the beer cart and a quarter to mark my ball

Clarke got into the open by not four-putting the last hole at Loch Lomond... of course he three-putted from ten feet... but it was good enough...

And Goydos, Mr. 59, got into the Open by hooking an iron into the water on 18 at the John Deere.

These guys not only 'backed into' the Open, they practically were pants down and mooning the R&A all the way there...
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Is Watson playing this year?
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Watch Tiger miss the cut when the UK press corps, having been leaked highly confidential details of the marital dissolution by the agrieved Nordic split-tail, flies into a silent range and tells the erstwhile reports to go have sexual intercourse with themselves and shoots 83-79, fires Stevie, and flies off alone to parts unknown to all save global control tower supervisors.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel
    Watch Tiger miss the cut when the UK press corps, having been leaked highly confidential details of the marital dissolution by the agrieved Nordic split-tail, flies into a silent range and tells the erstwhile reports to go have sexual intercourse with themselves and shoots 83-79, fires Stevie, and flies off alone to parts unknown to all save global control tower supervisors.
    I also think Tiger has only a slim chance of doing well. But of course he has a record of taking his chances.
    I think it's about time an Aussie again won The Open. Might as well focus on that; the Masters seems a lost cause.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    I also think Tiger has only a slim chance of doing well. But of course he has a record of taking his chances.
    I think it's about time an Aussie again won The Open. Might as well focus on that; the Masters seems a lost cause.
    As much as I love the people from Australia, I can't think of one that would stand much of a chance right now. I get the feeling that this year, the champ will likely be a Brit, Irishman, maybe someone from the Continent. Guess it depends on the weather. Great play in cold, rain and wind seems to be the almost exclusive domain of those who play the European PGA a lot. Would a Molinari drink Chianti out of a Claret jug?

Lorenzo,

You are not worth my time! At least the others here seem to like to debate things and not spout authoritarian BS every single time they post!

I thought I joined this forum to talk honestly about golf and maybe give some guys some help who are struggling with their game and NOT to talk with a nimrod who clearly just likes to quote widely misguided steroetypes and platitudes!

If I was so inclined (which I am not) then our friends across the pond have many stereotypes that could be pounced upon!

Get a life Sir!

At the risk of drawing Edgey out of whatever hole he has been hiding in lately, I have a feeling Poulter is going to do well this week. Tiger is the one to beat, but I think the Poms are going to give some cheek. Can't see any Aussies doing much this week unfortunately, we have become a pathetic rabble when it comes to major golf since the Shark packed it in.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Who is Edgey?

Has Appleby or Scott not got a chance? Thought Scott was getting it together a bit?

Who is Edgey?

Has Appleby or Scott not got a chance? Thought Scott was getting it together a bit?
    Appleby's game left him about five years ago and never came back. And Scott is a bona fide sod laying chopper at majors, I can't think of another player with as high a profile as him and been around as long as him without appearing on a single leaderboard on the back nine of a major Sunday.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

It is a fair point about Scott! So much talent wasted... also with Baddeley. He has a technically perfect swing but has just dropped off the radar??

Lorenzo,

You are not worth my time! At least the others here seem to like to debate things and not spout authoritarian BS every single time they post!

I thought I joined this forum to talk honestly about golf and maybe give some guys some help who are struggling with their game and NOT to talk with a nimrod who clearly just likes to quote widely misguided steroetypes and platitudes!

If I was so inclined (which I am not) then our friends across the pond have many stereotypes that could be pounced upon!

Get a life Sir!
    I was serious. The teeth in the UK are one of the world's great mysteries. I'm
    not putting anyone down for it. Quite the contrary, I have a great deal of compassion for what you guys must use to chew your food. I sense from your reaction that you exemplify this.

As far as the British Open, it wreaks of pompousness as does your post, so I can understand the hissy fit. But the reality is advances in golf equipment and technique have turned the tournament into a sad, shortknocker club level event. To call it a major tarnishes the real majors, like the Italian Open.

Try to accept the truth rather than launch ad hominem attacks upon those that have a different viewpoint than your own. Oh, and welcome to GR.
    GR lives...

Tiger is a lay down for this one. He has more natural talent than the rst of the field put together and will walk away with this one. If it were any other major I'd say Phil is the big danger but he just doesn't seem to be able to get his head around links golf.

World Woods Golf Club - Pine Barrens course
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I was serious. The teeth in the UK are one of the world's great mysteries. I'm
    not putting anyone down for it. Quite the contrary, I have a great deal of compassion for what you guys must use to chew your food. I sense from your reaction that you exemplify this.

As far as the British Open, it wreaks of pompousness as does your post, so I can understand the hissy fit. But the reality is advances in golf equipment and technique have turned the tournament into a sad, shortknocker club level event. To call it a major tarnishes the real majors, like the Italian Open.

Try to accept the truth rather than launch ad hominem attacks upon those that have a different viewpoint than your own. Oh, and welcome to GR.
    After "wreaking" havoc, one might well "reek" of foul BO.

I don't mean to come across as pompous.

I'm just sayin'

SMT 455db 9* - Accuflex VS339 X
    Sonartec SS-03 - TT DG S400
    KZG Forged Blades 3-PW - Rifle Project X 7.0
    KZG Forged Raw 52*, 56*, 60* - Rifle Spinner 6.5
    Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1
    Titleist ProV1x
    Cash for the beer cart and a quarter to mark my ball

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_h
    After "wreaking" havoc, one might well "reek" of foul BO.

I don't mean to come across as pompous.

I'm just sayin'

Dammit, I left that one for him. I assumed you only took the difficult ones.
    GR lives...

A bomber who can putt will win this. St. Andrews is kind of a joke course. 100 yard wide fairways, monstrous greens, driveable par 4's, gimmicky holes (like the retarded #17). The R&A better hope the wind is up or else the scores are going to be embarrassingly low. Maybe it's time the British Open rota was mixed up a bit. Donald Trump is building a couple links courses. I have a feeling he'll make them a bit more demanding than the current out-dated POS courses. Also, I'm pretty sure Nicklaus has a few designs in the UK.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

A bomber who can putt will win this. St. Andrews is kind of a joke course. 100 yard wide fairways, monstrous greens, driveable par 4's, gimmicky holes (like the retarded #17). The R&A better hope the wind is up or else the scores are going to be embarrassingly low. Maybe it's time the British Open rota was mixed up a bit. Donald Trump is building a couple links courses. I have a feeling he'll make them a bit more demanding than the current out-dated POS courses. Also, I'm pretty sure Nicklaus has a few designs in the UK.
    There are enough bombers who can putt in this field but unless they can drive every green, I bet not many make the cut. The winner will be he who can hit shut down drivers, 3 woods, hybrids, 5 irons that fly no more than 20 feet above the ground and carry 200-250 yards with another 50-100 yard runouts. The guy who can play a hooded 7 from 190 that carries 140 and rolls another 50 and takes the break the player read when planning the shot. The guy who has the brains to know when to play out of a bunker sideways or backwards. That doesn't sound like Dustin, JB, Phil or a host of other bombers.

I think the wind will be a factor. This tournament will be won by a guy with a high swing speed, good course management, and decent putting.

Technology and course layout have choked off much of the advantages once gained by guys with superior swing speeds off the tee, but windy conditions still favors these guys. Guys who can cover a lot of distance and still keep the ball low can dominate in wind. Wind and hybrids don't mix.

If its windy for all groups on the 1st 2 days then guys like Tiger and Sergio (good with long irons) should have an advantage . Outside chance for a low hitter like Trevor Immelman.
    Last edited by The Purist; 07-14-2010 at 11:40 AM.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

When does the third best major get started Thursday anyway . . . . . . anybody know?
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    When does the third best major get started Thursday anyway . . . . . . anybody know?
    That was already played. In April.

That was already played. In April.
    I think Harrington is going to win it but it's tough to bet against Tiger.

mcilroy, kj choi ,jimenez, rose......... or any australian!!!
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I think Harrington is going to win it but it's tough to bet against Tiger.
    Long way to go but your boy just doubled the first hole he played.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Go John Daly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't got to watch it, but going by the scores it must be a calm day, the course is defenceless. Tiger is close enough to the lead to make it uncomfortable for the rest of the field. Is Rory's score a course record? I know it must be at least a record for an Open at St Andrews because 63 is th equal lowest score in major history from my recollection. There have been quite a few 63s over the years, Norman has one at Augusta and Turnberry, but I can't recall anyone going lower.

Quote Originally Posted by mr natural
    Tiger is close enough to the lead to make it uncomfortable for the rest of the field.
    Y.E. Yang is close enough to make Tiger uncomfortable.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

Quote Originally Posted by mr natural
    I haven't got to watch it, but going by the scores it must be a calm day, the course is defenceless. Tiger is close enough to the lead to make it uncomfortable for the rest of the field. Is Rory's score a course record? I know it must be at least a record for an Open at St Andrews because 63 is th equal lowest score in major history from my recollection. There have been quite a few 63s over the years, Norman has one at Augusta and Turnberry, but I can't recall anyone going lower.
    I believe I've heard it mentioned once or twice that Johnny Miller also shot a 63 on Sunday at the US Open. I think Miller has that tattooed on his forehead.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I believe I've heard it mentioned once or twice that Johnny Miller also shot a 63 on Sunday at the US Open. I think Miller has that tattooed on his forehead.
    And his 63 won him the tournament. When it mattered the most.

Does Mcilroy rub anyone else the wrong way, for no reason?

For some reason I hope this punk **** crashes and burns.

Here's to him shooting 81 tomorrow.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic
    Does Mcilroy rub anyone else the wrong way, for no reason?

For some reason I hope this punk **** crashes and burns.

Here's to him shooting 81 tomorrow.
    Like you did in that matchplay event you couldn't possibly lose?

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Like you did in that matchplay event you couldn't possibly lose?
    No.

I want him to suffer worse than that.

No.

I want him to suffer worse than that.
    Next time you play him, buy and wear some clothes from John Daly's wardrobe line. That will shake him up big time.

Next time you play him, buy and wear some clothes from John Daly's wardrobe line. That will shake him up big time.
    I wish I'd had John Daly slacks when my wife shot this pic a few years back.. or ANY slacks for that matter.

and why not include this moment in the lives of OTHER great champions..

and who could forget Youthful Tom Morris, the little-known local pro who's got a bit of the Swilcan Burn on his balls, so they say.. a bit of lotion should sort that...

Last edited by daveperkins; 07-16-2010 at 05:08 AM.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    I wish I'd had John Daly slacks when my wife shot this pic a few years back.. or ANY slacks for that matter.

and who could forget Youthful Tom Morris, the little-known local pro who's got a bit of the Swilcan Burn on his balls, so they say.. a bit of lotion should sort that...

Did you get to play the Old Course Dave?

I was there last month but just visiting. Didn't get to play. My wife wanted me to stand on the bridge and get a photo but I didn't want to. Didn't think it was right since I wasn't actually playing the course. Damn I regret not arranging a game. The day I visited it was a beautiful sunny day and only a very light sea breeze. Would have been perfect. Ah well...
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Did you get to play the Old Course Dave?

I was there last month but just visiting. Didn't get to play. My wife wanted me to stand on the bridge and get a photo but I didn't want to. Didn't think it was right since I wasn't actually playing the course. Damn I regret not arranging a game. The day I visited it was a beautiful sunny day and only a very light sea breeze. Would have been perfect. Ah well...
    Sadly, KP, I also had that perfect weather, all the more amazing as it was in late September.. balmy, almost no wind.. but no, didn't have time to play.. wife and I were visiting her ancestral home of Livingston, as well as a few castles (Stirling and others), and she was interested enough in St. Andrews' history to tolerate the drive out there. Wrong side of the road for us, very narrow lanes.. we made it, but of course I hadn't brought clubs and didn't have time for golf.. we did walk out quite a bit, to about the fourth hole I think, and walked back in along the road hole, etc.. watching it on TV right now, MUCH better experience for having been there and seen these things personally, I know how deep the bunkers are, that hollow at the front of 18..

my wife was hesitant as you were to go out there, even though there were few people about and nobody coming up the 18th at the time.. but I talked her into it.. had to get 'the picture'.. :-)

Next year the Open is at Royal St. George, I believe.. and I HAVE played there.. should be very interesting :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Sadly, KP, I also had that perfect weather, all the more amazing as it was in late September.. balmy, almost no wind.. but no, didn't have time to play.. wife and I were visiting her ancestral home of Livingston, as well as a few castles (Stirling and others), and she was interested enough in St. Andrews' history to tolerate the drive out there. Wrong side of the road for us, very narrow lanes.. we made it, but of course I hadn't brought clubs and didn't have time for golf.. we did walk out quite a bit, to about the fourth hole I think, and walked back in along the road hole, etc.. watching it on TV right now, MUCH better experience for having been there and seen these things personally, I know how deep the bunkers are, that hollow at the front of 18..

my wife was hesitant as you were to go out there, even though there were few people about and nobody coming up the 18th at the time.. but I talked her into it.. had to get 'the picture'.. :-)

Next year the Open is at Royal St. George, I believe.. and I HAVE played there.. should be very interesting :-)
    My wife actually tried to arrange a game for me but it was not that simple, you have to book weeks or months in advance and you have to play another course BEFORE you play St Andrews. It all seemed too hard at the time and like you I didn't have my clubs with me and not much time so didn't bother. However I think there is a ballot system and you can just turn up, put your name down and take your chances on the day. It was pretty busy the day I was there though. The chance of getting a game would have been slim I imagine but still. After travelling all that way I wish I'd made the effort.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I can't believe they stopped play for 30 MPH winds. We golf in worse than that all the time in Oklahoma . . . . . . . . big sissies.

I can't believe they stopped play for 30 MPH winds. We golf in worse than that all the time in Oklahoma . . . . . . . . big sissies.
    I know, right? In the southwest, that's a breeze. Silly sods. I guess they didn't want to have to hear players complain about right angle turns in the air, missing one foot putts, etc.

But it's almost as bad now, and the scorecards are getting MURDERED by this wind... talk about luck of the draw, morning vs. afternoon.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Ahhh the Old Course is showing her teeth......ahhhhhhhhhhhh

+8.

I guess that's bad enough to make me happy.

I better not ****ing hear his name on Golf Central later tonight. ****.

Unless Mother Nature sneezes and farts the Old Course is pretty defenseless (easy for pros).
    GR lives...

+8.

I guess that's bad enough to make me happy.

I better not ****ing hear his name on Golf Central later tonight. ****.
    Obviously McIroy is just an inconsistent weekend hack like me. I shoot a 77 one day and a 93 the next. He shoots 63 one day and 80 the next. All relative I guess?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Obviously McIroy is just an inconsistent weekend hack like me. I shoot a 77 one day and a 93 the next. He shoots 63 one day and 80 the next. All relative I guess?
    He's definitely shown one of his weaknesses -- lack of discipline between the ears on inclement days.

I think I have found a chink in Phil's armor, too: he doesn't like golfing in colder weather. He didn't make the cut last week over there in cooler weather, either.

Unless Mother Nature sneezes and farts the Old Course is pretty defenseless (easy for pros).
    especially when it's a mite rainy. Soften up that hard turf and the gazillions of little swales, knolls and depressions, even Mrs. Granger's Bosoms, become easily navigable. Pin-hunting becomes easy. The only thing the auld course offers is hard, fast, unpredictable bounces/rolls, and wind. If it's soft and calm, it's pitch and putt.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Only advantage of doing that is the tee time for the third round. Out earlier in probabbly calmer weather? Heard the interview with the oosthuizen and calc and they both commented on the last 5 holes being a lot easier cause the wind and rain stopped.
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Nice photo Dave. I thought there was some kind of lottery they did for St. Andrews to play at certain times but maybe not. On another note, I'm really getting tired of the sappy photos of Nicklaus, Palmer and now Watson who always claim that it's their last major and then show up for several more. Didn't Nicklaus retire twice from the British Open? I know he did this photo twice. Then, he said he'd never do the honorary starter thing at Augusta and there he is, doing it just like the rest of them. Watson, just play as many majors as you want to and let us know when you're done. Not before. Maybe Rory should start talking about how he may be 40 majors away from retirement.

Nice pics Big Dave, but where are the saddle shoes and cheap arse windbreaker?

Nice photo Dave. I thought there was some kind of lottery they did for St. Andrews to play at certain times but maybe not. On another note, I'm really getting tired of the sappy photos of Nicklaus, Palmer and now Watson who always claim that it's their last major and then show up for several more. Didn't Nicklaus retire twice from the British Open? I know he did this photo twice. Then, he said he'd never do the honorary starter thing at Augusta and there he is, doing it just like the rest of them. Watson, just play as many majors as you want to and let us know when you're done. Not before. Maybe Rory should start talking about how he may be 40 majors away from retirement.
    I'm not sure, but I think Watson was only acknowledging that the next St. Andrews Open will be five years from now, and he won't be back to compete in that. I don't think he was announcing he's done with the Open, just with St. Andrews.

Watson's playing too well and feeling too good physically to quit now. But after all, he'll be 65 when the Open is back at the Auld Course.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Nice pics Big Dave, but where are the saddle shoes and cheap arse windbreaker?
    WalMart jeans not good enough for you, eh? There was no wind, it was 70 degrees, and I didn't have golf shoes on because I wasn't playing.

I think I held up my end of the Cheap Clothes Parade pretty well here...
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy
    Only advantage of doing that is the tee time for the third round. Out earlier in probabbly calmer weather? Heard the interview with the oosthuizen and calc and they both commented on the last 5 holes being a lot easier cause the wind and rain stopped.
    Yeah that, and he'll now fly beneath the media radar since he's no longer leading.

Now where the f#ck am I?

The Open :

The only sporting event that actually looks WORSE in HD.
    Titleist 909D2 9.5, Motore F1 (s)
    Callaway Diablo Edge 3W, E370 (s)
    Ping i5 2-PW, CS Lite (s)
    Callaway X-Tour 54,60
    Ping G5i B60

Quote Originally Posted by CPS
    The Open :

The only sporting event that actually looks WORSE in HD.
    The British Open now ranks 4th in my opinion of the most exciting majors to watch on TV. I'm sorry but this was just plain boring to watch. St. Andrews has too much luck involved and in some cases the greens are too much like miniature golf. Look at the people who've won it and it's pretty easy to see that it's not a test of who's the best pro in the field. Augusta is the best because usually the people that win it are close to the top in world rankings. It's got drama and requires the best shot-making skills. I'm not sure what it is about the Masters but it usually reveals who's at the top of their game. Not so with the British Open and US Open. Augusta's greens are difficult but they are a true test of putting. Another thing I'd like to add is that the coverage of the British Open is horrific.

The British Open now ranks 4th in my opinion of the most exciting majors to watch on TV. I'm sorry but this was just plain boring to watch. St. Andrews has too much luck involved and in some cases the greens are too much like miniature golf. Look at the people who've won it and it's pretty easy to see that it's not a test of who's the best pro in the field. Augusta is the best because usually the people that win it are close to the top in world rankings. It's got drama and requires the best shot-making skills. I'm not sure what it is about the Masters but it usually reveals who's at the top of their game. Not so with the British Open and US Open. Augusta's greens are difficult but they are a true test of putting. Another thing I'd like to add is that the coverage of the British Open is horrific.
    ESPN's coverage of this event was about equal to its Monday Night Football coverage. Both suck so hard that if you put ESPN on the outside of the Hindenberg, there would have been no explosion. The Masters is about playing all your shots one specific way to tiny specific targets. The player best at that wins. The British Open is one by the player with the best brains and discipline. I'd wager that if you put this past week's Louis Oosthuizen on Augusta lhis past April with the same cast of top 50 competitors et alia he would have creamed the field.

I'm sure you can't possibly be serious but I'll take the bait. Of all the golf courses in the world, St Andrews stands alone as the one where luck plays the smallest part. If you are talking about rub of the green the first two days weather wise you have a valid point as weather plays a huge role in any Open, but as far as the course goes it rewards skill and imagination and is the ultimate test of golf. A complete golf game is needed to win Opens there, with every shot in the book. Until this year St Andrews had only ever produced the greatest of champions. No Immelmans, Cabreras or Zach Johnsons on the Open trophy when played at St Andrews, no siree bob.

ESPN's coverage of this event was about equal to its Monday Night Football coverage. Both suck so hard that if you put ESPN on the outside of the Hindenberg, there would have been no explosion. The Masters is about playing all your shots one specific way to tiny specific targets. The player best at that wins. The British Open is one by the player with the best brains and discipline. I'd wager that if you put this past week's Louis Oosthuizen on Augusta lhis past April with the same cast of top 50 competitors et alia he would have creamed the field.
    Agree with you about the coverage. The announcers were lame.

Until this year St Andrews had only ever produced the greatest of champions. No Immelmans, Cabreras or Zach Johnsons on the Open trophy when played at St Andrews, no siree bob.
    Do you imply that Oosthuizen is not now one of the greatest of champions? That's like saying Graham McDowell was not worthy of his Pebble Beach Open win. The golf times are changing and the icons have played recently like they are either really tired or extremely aggrieved that the titles to which they are entitled were swiped by whippersnappers no one has ever heard off. The proof in the pudding is that a swashbuckler like Michelson can win at Augusta but it takes real game and brains (and a wee bit of luck) to win at Saint Andrews. The bomber I was most impressed with is Dustin Johnson who managed a good tournament. His brain may be developing into a gamer.

I'm sure you can't possibly be serious but I'll take the bait. Of all the golf courses in the world, St Andrews stands alone as the one where luck plays the smallest part. If you are talking about rub of the green the first two days weather wise you have a valid point as weather plays a huge role in any Open, but as far as the course goes it rewards skill and imagination and is the ultimate test of golf. A complete golf game is needed to win Opens there, with every shot in the book. Until this year St Andrews had only ever produced the greatest of champions. No Immelmans, Cabreras or Zach Johnsons on the Open trophy when played at St Andrews, no siree bob.
    Well said NAH.

Great post. That twit Mickelboobs looks completely out of sorts on anything other than the target golf American style courses.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Well said NAH.

Great post. That twit Mickelboobs looks completely out of sorts on anything other than the target golf American style courses.
    I don't understand why Mickelson feels the need to change up his style when he plays the BO. It's like he feels compelled to play links golf like a moron (4 irons from 120 yards, putts from 20 yards off the green, hooks and cuts to hold shots into the wind, etc.). He should go out there bombing tee shots, hitting high shots into every green, and flopping the sh!t out of his chip shots. It's not like he can do any worse.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I have to give it up to Oostie. The dude took the lead on day 2 and never gave it up throughout the rest of the tourney. That is literally called tournament domination.

Mongrel is right, the scene of the PGA is changing and in a not too distant future we are going to see these younger guys develop a "gamer's mentality" and start frequenting the champions list. I think Mickelboobs and Tiger have both seen their better days in this sport. Maybe they will dominate on the Senior Tour soon.

I respect the tradition of the St. Andrews course, BUT it is certainly not as beautiful or as challenging as Augusta.

I have to give it up to Oostie. The dude took the lead on day 2 and never gave it up throughout the rest of the tourney. That is literally called tournament domination.

Mongrel is right, the scene of the PGA is changing and in a not too distant future we are going to see these younger guys develop a "gamer's mentality" and start frequenting the champions list. I think Mickelboobs and Tiger have both seen their better days in this sport. Maybe they will dominate on the Senior Tour soon.

I respect the tradition of the St. Andrews course, BUT it is certainly not as beautiful or as challenging as Augusta.
    I think the set up at St. Andrews rewards the person that drives the best that week. Once you're in the fairway the rest doesn't appear to be that difficult.

I can't believe Tiger tried changing putters. It was wierd watching a guy finish the last 2 holes with an 8 shot lead. It almost looked like he didn't really know what to do and had trouble concentrating.

I think the set up at St. Andrews rewards the person that drives the best that week. Once you're in the fairway the rest doesn't appear to be that difficult.

I can't believe Tiger tried changing putters. It was wierd watching a guy finish the last 2 holes with an 8 shot lead. It almost looked like he didn't really know what to do and had trouble concentrating.
    I think for the first time in his life, Tiger is having to fight the dreaded monster called "lack of confidence" and it is showing. You guys agree?

That monster is a biatch, too.

I'll take the word of guys like Nicklaus, Tiger, Seve, Faldo and Norman who all say that St Andrews is the ultimate test of golf. Even though it looks plain and straight forward, no other course has more ways to play it. The scores would suggest that Augusta is more challenging, but that's because they have Tiger proofed the course and the stuffy old memnbers take is a personal insult to see the best players shoot under par there. By doing this they bring the great shot makers like Tiger and Phil back to the field, and bring short knocking lurkers like Immelman and Zach Johnson into the picture. Augusta was never meant to be anything but a long hitters course, but the members dropped their lollies when Tiger ripped it apart in 1997 and were panicked into ruining what was one of the great championship courses. The stupid Augusta and US Open set ups may be more difficult, but the multitude of ways of get the ball in the hole in varyng weather conditions makes St Andrews more challenging. FD, show me a major where driving isn't crucial. You're not telling us anything we don't know when you say you need to drive well to win majors. I do think you underestimate the subtleties of the Old Course by saying it's just a driving course though.

Mongrel, I'm not saying Oostie won't becme a great champion, just that he's not at that status yet. I would not be surprised to see him become one of the greats, as bums don't win Opens at St Andrews.

I'll take the word of guys like Nicklaus, Tiger, Seve, Faldo and Norman who all say that St Andrews is the ultimate test of golf. Even though it looks plain and straight forward, no other course has more ways to play it. The scores would suggest that Augusta is more challenging, but that's because they have Tiger proofed the course and the stuffy old memnbers take is a personal insult to see the best players shoot under par there. By doing this they bring the great shot makers like Tiger and Phil back to the field, and bring short knocking lurkers like Immelman and Zach Johnson into the picture. Augusta was never meant to be anything but a long hitters course, but the members dropped their lollies when Tiger ripped it apart in 1997 and were panicked into ruining what was one of the great championship courses. The stupid Augusta and US Open set ups may be more difficult, but the multitude of ways of get the ball in the hole in varyng weather conditions makes St Andrews more challenging. FD, show me a major where driving isn't crucial. You're not telling us anything we don't know when you say you need to drive well to win majors. I do think you underestimate the subtleties of the Old Course by saying it's just a driving course though.

Mongrel, I'm not saying Oostie won't becme a great champion, just that he's not at that status yet. I would not be surprised to see him become one of the greats, as bums don't win Opens at St Andrews.
    Let me help you reword that statement -- bums do not DOMINATE Opens at St. Andrews.

Let me help you reword that statement -- bums do not DOMINATE Opens at St. Andrews.
    No, I meant bums don't win Opens at St Andrews period. The fact he dominated that field would suggest that he is a very special player. He did have a big leg up from Rory Chokeilroy though. No matter how tough the conditions, no course is 17 shots harder from one day to the next at pro level. I think the Irish git will be taking quite a bit of scar tissue away from that Open. That performance had Sergio written all over it.

I concede SA requires a strong repertoire from the winner most of the time. But in the modern game low hitters usually have little chance - except at the BO. As evidenced by how little validation we see. Oost..... Got tremendous run from his drives that in most events wouldn't exist. I hope he does validate instead of turning into Todd Hamilton II but I won't hold my breath. That said, holding (increasing) the lead the way be did by a guy that had missed all cuts but one at majors deserves respect.
    GR lives...

I think with St. Andrews there's too much luck involved. What time you tee off, what kind of bounces you get. It's like you're playing defensive golf instead of having good shots rewarded. You can hit a shot staight down the fairway and get a bad bounce and end up in a pot hole bunker, then take 2 or 3 to get out. I don't see how that's the ultimate test in golf. Augusta is the ultimate test..you need to drive it well, hit irons in the right spot and putt well to win. With St. Andrews you need to avoid pot hole bunkers and putt from off the green to avoid the ball coming back at you.

I think with St. Andrews there's too much luck involved. What time you tee off, what kind of bounces you get. It's like you're playing defensive golf instead of having good shots rewarded. You can hit a shot staight down the fairway and get a bad bounce and end up in a pot hole bunker, then take 2 or 3 to get out. I don't see how that's the ultimate test in golf. Augusta is the ultimate test..you need to drive it well, hit irons in the right spot and putt well to win. With St. Andrews you need to avoid pot hole bunkers and putt from off the green to avoid the ball coming back at you.
    You make some good points, but as I said you are describing the pre Tiger Augusta, not the current course. I agree that the old Augusta was the ultimate risk reward course, especially the par 5s, and produced many grand stand finishes. Phil brought back memories of old with his play this year, but over the last few years there have been more duds tha studs getting the green jacket. I have to disagree with your comments about the Old Course and luck. Tiger went 72 holes without hitting it in a single bunker when he won an Open there. That didn't come down to just dumb luck, it was precision golf from a champion at the peak of his powers. There's no difference between missing our landing target by a few feet and bouncing into a pot bunker at St Andrews and missing your landing spot on the green by a few inches and rolling back off the green dead at Augusta. Luck plays a part at every course, but over the course of 72 holes you can be guaranteed that the best player will win at St Andrews, the same can't be said of Augusta where lucky putting plays such a major part. I know it must be hard to understand for you Americans who have been brought up on a steady diet of target golf and effectively putting contests to decide golf tournaments, but some of us still appreciate watching real golf, where the best players show their full range of shots and imagination, like controlling the flght of the ball and running the ball up from 150 off the green instead of mindlessly reaching for the 9 iron. This is old school golf for purists, not the drive/iron/putt golf that Americans seem to be so obsessed with. This type of golf is lost on many of the young bomb and gouge exponents coming through, which explains why Watson and Norman have gone so close to winning the last few years. Norman took the field to school for the first 3 days in 2008, he was the only player in the field who could control his ball in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    Agree with you about the coverage. The announcers were lame.
    I was watching the INternational feed on satellite the whole time, got queasy with the american side and their efforts to fluff up and pump of the emotion of the history of the emotional historicity of the moments, one endless moment after another...

the internationals were mostly quiet and boring. Spend endless amounts of time trying to ascertain the middle name of J. B. Holmes. They were told it is "Boris", which was highly amusing, as they began to believe it because of volume of tweets/emails. In the end, they figured out it is "Bradley". Nobody mentioned the first name, as nobody does anymore, because you have to mention why he doesn't use "John Holmes", which everyone knows but won't admit on television.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

I was watching the INternational feed on satellite the whole time, got queasy with the american side and their efforts to fluff up and pump of the emotion of the history of the emotional historicity of the moments, one endless moment after another...

the internationals were mostly quiet and boring. Spend endless amounts of time trying to ascertain the middle name of J. B. Holmes. They were told it is "Boris", which was highly amusing, as they began to believe it because of volume of tweets/emails. In the end, they figured out it is "Bradley". Nobody mentioned the first name, as nobody does anymore, because you have to mention why he doesn't use "John Holmes", which everyone knows but won't admit on television.
    I saw his name on either Nationwide leaderboards or on his early PGA starts before he adopted the JB nickname and the possibilities always made me laugh. "Wow! John Holmes sure is long!" "John Holmes has an extra-stiff shaft!" "When John Holmes hits it, it really comes hot off the face!" "John Holmes just did a line of blow off of a hookers' chest!"
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

You make some good points, but as I said you are describing the pre Tiger Augusta, not the current course. I agree that the old Augusta was the ultimate risk reward course, especially the par 5s, and produced many grand stand finishes. Phil brought back memories of old with his play this year, but over the last few years there have been more duds tha studs getting the green jacket. I have to disagree with your comments about the Old Course and luck. Tiger went 72 holes without hitting it in a single bunker when he won an Open there. That didn't come down to just dumb luck, it was precision golf from a champion at the peak of his powers. There's no difference between missing our landing target by a few feet and bouncing into a pot bunker at St Andrews and missing your landing spot on the green by a few inches and rolling back off the green dead at Augusta. Luck plays a part at every course, but over the course of 72 holes you can be guaranteed that the best player will win at St Andrews, the same can't be said of Augusta where lucky putting plays such a major part. I know it must be hard to understand for you Americans who have been brought up on a steady diet of target golf and effectively putting contests to decide golf tournaments, but some of us still appreciate watching real golf, where the best players show their full range of shots and imagination, like controlling the flght of the ball and running the ball up from 150 off the green instead of mindlessly reaching for the 9 iron. This is old school golf for purists, not the drive/iron/putt golf that Americans seem to be so obsessed with. This type of golf is lost on many of the young bomb and gouge exponents coming through, which explains why Watson and Norman have gone so close to winning the last few years. Norman took the field to school for the first 3 days in 2008, he was the only player in the field who could control his ball in the wind.
    I can't really disagree with any of that. You have to understand, we don't see a whole lot of wind here. Probably 1 out of every 50 rounds has significant wind. If the driving range happens to have 20+ windy conditions (which is rare) most players actually calculate what the shot would be WITHOUT wind because, again, it's so rare.

Personally, I like when the wind picks up on the range and you can try different shots. Believe it or not, in the 80's American players were trained to hit low fades and and low draws versus high fades and high draws based on grip position. Now the choke-down Tiger Stinger has trumped all as the main wind shot of choice.
    Titleist 909D2 9.5, Motore F1 (s)
    Callaway Diablo Edge 3W, E370 (s)
    Ping i5 2-PW, CS Lite (s)
    Callaway X-Tour 54,60
    Ping G5i B60

I read an interview with him in a glf mag, and he said he was playing once with Gary McCord, and McCord apparently told him he would just call him JB. Holmes mentioned that it didn't take him long to learn who John Holmes was and that he was well and truly over the jokes associated with the name. Personally I wish he had kept his birth name, I love juvenile jokes.

I concede SA requires a strong repertoire from the winner most of the time. But in the modern game low hitters usually have little chance - except at the BO. As evidenced by how little validation we see. Oost..... Got tremendous run from his drives that in most events wouldn't exist. I hope he does validate instead of turning into Todd Hamilton II but I won't hold my breath. That said, holding (increasing) the lead the way be did by a guy that had missed all cuts but one at majors deserves respect.
    I doubt many of us know whether Oost.... is a just a low ball hitter or just hit them low in this tournament. When he teed off on 17, the shot tracker showed enough trajectory to get it over the wing of the hotel. Now I'm just a low ball hitter and I would probably have put my ball through a first floor window at around 140 mph and be unlucky enough to have it hit the apertif glass held to the lips of some Brit socialite celebrating her honeymoon and have the shards sever her jugular. Or I could play a hard fade. Or play the up tees.

I doubt many of us know whether Oost.... is a just a low ball hitter or just hit them low in this tournament. When he teed off on 17, the shot tracker showed enough trajectory to get it over the wing of the hotel. Now I'm just a low ball hitter and I would probably have put my ball through a first floor window at around 140 mph and be unlucky enough to have it hit the apertif glass held to the lips of some Brit socialite celebrating her honeymoon and have the shards sever her jugular. Or I could play a hard fade. Or play the up tees.
    I got to see his swing on a golf show last night, and from looking at it I would say he would have the ability to hit any shot he wants. He has one of the purest looking golf swings I've ever seen. I couldn't see a swing like that not being able to hit it high if he wanted to. Maybe he tweaked his clubs for this tournament to get a lower ball flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    I saw his name on either Nationwide leaderboards or on his early PGA starts before he adopted the JB nickname and the possibilities always made me laugh. "Wow! John Holmes sure is long!" "John Holmes has an extra-stiff shaft!" "When John Holmes hits it, it really comes hot off the face!" "John Holmes just did a line of blow off of a hookers' chest!"
    JB is lying when he says he's over the jokes. He's still not over the fact that he didn't know who JOhn holmes was until McCord told him.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

wait 'til next year at Royal St. George.. talk about mounds you can't see from the tee, moving your ball thirty yards right or left once it's on the ground... it's a roller coaster... the only Open rota course I've played. Shot 84 there, back in spring of '04. tough greens, hard to get close, and WILD rolls and bounces. Hit two OB, quite a bit of three jacking.

I walked on St. Andrews and I think Royal St. George has crazier bounces by far.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

I don't know his stats, only that the commentators said he was a small guy who wasn't normally long but achieved length at SA by hitting the ball low and letting it run. He does have a great swing. Isn't It interesting how the really sound swings hold up on Sundays while the flawed ones don't?
    GR lives...

You could never say that about the original John Holmes could you? Mind I guess that was in the pre viagra era and besides, the amount of blood needed for xtra stiff would surely have caused him to pass out.

Now where the f#ck am I?

You could never say that about the original John Holmes could you? Mind I guess that was in the pre viagra era and besides, the amount of blood needed for xtra stiff would surely have caused him to pass out.
    I've never actually seen one of the famous Holmes tapes, but urban legend has it that he could only ever get a 3/4 stiffy for the reasons you state.

That's a fictional urban legend. In my case it's often hard as a railroad tie from the slightest provocation. If I'm using it to reach for something out of one of the upper cabinets then sure, it's best not completely stiff, it makes it harder to grab onto something.
    GR lives...

True. He was definately sporting a senior flex in most of the footage I've seen. He was a legend, so I guess he's like one of those guys that can shoot sub-par rounds with his whippy tempo-master. What ever gets it in the hole, right?!
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

True. He was definately sporting a senior flex in most of the footage I've seen. He was a legend, so I guess he's like one of those guys that can shoot sub-par rounds with his whippy tempo-master. What ever gets it in the hole, right?!
    In golfing parlance his shaft was definitely a stock Callaway stiff.

Now where the f#ck am I?

wait 'til next year at Royal St. George.. talk about mounds you can't see from the tee, moving your ball thirty yards right or left once it's on the ground... it's a roller coaster... the only Open rota course I've played. Shot 84 there, back in spring of '04. tough greens, hard to get close, and WILD rolls and bounces. Hit two OB, quite a bit of three jacking.

I walked on St. Andrews and I think Royal St. George has crazier bounces by far.
    Don't get my wrong about European courses. My ultimate golf trip would be to go to Scottland and Ireland and play a bunch of those courses like Bally Bunion and Royal County Down. I love links courses but I think St. Andrews is not the ultimate test in golf. The thing I like about golf in Europe is that people walk and the greens are generally smaller. I'm sort of a traditionalist and wish that metal woods were never allowed. Nothing feels better than hitting a persimmon driver on the screws.

I got to see his swing on a golf show last night, and from looking at it I would say he would have the ability to hit any shot he wants. He has one of the purest looking golf swings I've ever seen. I couldn't see a swing like that not being able to hit it high if he wanted to. Maybe he tweaked his clubs for this tournament to get a lower ball flight.
    Oost has had a good swing for many years and you are right hacker, he is not a one dimensional player as far as ball flight goes. I reckon in the next few years both Oost and Schwarzl will feature in many big tournaments. Both guys have being steadily improving on the european tour and play very well in South Africa, and like most of the young guys coming through the more experience they get all over the world the better their games will become.
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy
    Oost has had a good swing for many years and you are right hacker, he is not a one dimensional player as far as ball flight goes. I reckon in the next few years both Oost and Schwarzl will feature in many big tournaments. Both guys have being steadily improving on the european tour and play very well in South Africa, and like most of the young guys coming through the more experience they get all over the world the better their games will become.
    The boers seem to be on the rise in the golf world these days. It wasn't that long ago they only had Ernie and the goose, but there are quite a few getting around at the top of the world rankings these days like Timmy and Immelman, and they've got Rory.

Don't get my wrong about European courses. My ultimate golf trip would be to go to Scottland and Ireland and play a bunch of those courses like Bally Bunion and Royal County Down. I love links courses but I think St. Andrews is not the ultimate test in golf. The thing I like about golf in Europe is that people walk and the greens are generally smaller. I'm sort of a traditionalist and wish that metal woods were never allowed. Nothing feels better than hitting a persimmon driver on the screws.
    This is my dream golf trip as well. Apparently there are many old sheep paddock type golf courses in out of the way places that have not changed much in two hundred years. You can get a old local caddy and step back in time and play golf the way it was long ago. (perhaps the greens would be better). This is a romantic notion but something i would like to experience.

This is my dream golf trip as well. Apparently there are many old sheep paddock type golf courses in out of the way places that have not changed much in two hundred years. You can get a old local caddy and step back in time and play golf the way it was long ago. (perhaps the greens would be better). This is a romantic notion but something i would like to experience.
    I couldn't imagine a bettergolfing experience if it still does exist. I love old courses that haven't been modernised. I've got to play at Newcastle Golf Club a few times and that is as close as I'll probably get ot playing golf as it was meant to be played.

Same here. Put truth serum in all golfers and I think that is the case. If they don't want to take their ultimate trip there, they are not true golfers.

Same here. Put truth serum in all golfers and I think that is the case. If they don't want to take their ultimate trip there, they are not true golfers.
    Fukc that, give me Myrtle Beach all day, every day. Why would I pretend to like bumping and running a ball all day on some poorly maintained goat track in bad weather?
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Fukc that, give me Myrtle Beach all day, every day. Why would I pretend to like bumping and running a ball all day on some poorly maintained goat track in bad weather?
    Ohhhh! You are emphasizing the golf then . . . . . . . I thought we were talking about the best sheep after rounds.

Ohhhh! You are emphasizing the golf then . . . . . . . I thought we were talking about the best sheep after rounds.

New Zealand is a sheep-fukcers paradise. All you get over in Merry Ole England are worn out goats, or worse, one of their disgusting women. No thanks.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I'd bet the teeth on New Zealand sheep are alot better than the British ones. They're probably less uptight, too.
    GR lives...

Beat me to it. Seriously. "Golf the way it was intended to be played." Give me a fukkin break. I guarantee you that the original Scottish golfers often said, "I wish we had a way to smooth out these greens, I'm sick of missing 10" putts. Let's invent the gimmee!" or "Fukk beans! I wish it was warmer with less wind." or most importantly, "I wish the g-string and fake titty were already invented so we would have something fun to do after the round."
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

I'd bet the teeth on New Zealand sheep are alot better than the British ones. They're probably less uptight, too.
    Absolutely correct, a NZ two tooth ewe is a sight to behold.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Thread Information