|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Yonex NANOV Forged irons

I was at the golf store today and saw a used set of these in outstanding condition with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts for $299. Has anyone hit these or played with them? I know that Yonex is pretty rare outside of Japan but I hit these on the indoor test range and they felt great. It's a forged club with slight perimeter weighting and little offset. Also, the price seems pretty good. I looked on a couple of websites and I think they are priced over $1,000 new. Here's a photo:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I've never tried them but like you have wondered how good Yonex are. It would be easy to imagine they are a top quality club whose brand has just not caught on in the West; making them great value because they sell cheaply. The only thing you can go on is that Monty plays them. Perhaps that is all you need to know.......
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

I can't think about Yonex without thinking about that Graphite Composite headed driver they made popular back in the 80s.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Phail was also a long time Yonex player back in the day. I would think that these are probably as good as irons get, but they just haven't caught on outside Japan. They actually look a bit like the TM forged irons of about 10 or 15 years ago. If I was in the market and could get some for that price I'd jump on them, but FD I thought you were happy being back in Ping.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Monty plays Yonex but so does (or did) Scott Hoch who is (was) one of the best ball-strikers I've ever seen up close. Yonex either has a negative effect on its players' personalities or those players are drawn to the brand. I've hit a few of their drivers in years past and never had the urge to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel
    Monty plays Yonex but so does (or did) Scott Hoch who is (was) one of the best ball-strikers I've ever seen up close. Yonex either has a negative effect on its players' personalities or those players are drawn to the brand. I've hit a few of their drivers in years past and never had the urge to do it again.
    On top of all these has beens and never weres, I almost forgot that Ishikawa is a Yonex staff player. He may be the one to raise the profile of Yonex and get them inot the mainstream. If they're good enough to shoot 59 with......
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    I can't think about Yonex without thinking about that Graphite Composite headed driver they made popular back in the 80s.
    Had em... actually wouldn't mind still having the 5-wood to fool around with. Not sure where they ended up. It's been a long time.
    Titleist 909D2 9.5, Motore F1 (s)
    Callaway Diablo Edge 3W, E370 (s)
    Ping i5 2-PW, CS Lite (s)
    Callaway X-Tour 54,60
    Ping G5i B60

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    On top of all these has beens and never weres, I almost forgot that Ishikawa is a Yonex staff player. He may be the one to raise the profile of Yonex and get them inot the mainstream. If they're good enough to shoot 59 with......
    OK, I just checked what's in Ryo's bag and those Nanov woods and irons look pretty cool. The woods have what look like red lens turn signals. Maybe he concentrates on them before he addresses the ball like Oosthuizen uses his red dot on glove to get in the hit mode. So a full set of irons for $299 sounds like a real reasonable deal.

Check with Lorenzo, Yonex are a big name brand in badminton rackets.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Phail was also a long time Yonex player back in the day. I would think that these are probably as good as irons get, but they just haven't caught on outside Japan. They actually look a bit like the TM forged irons of about 10 or 15 years ago. If I was in the market and could get some for that price I'd jump on them, but FD I thought you were happy being back in Ping.
    Good point, as if I'm ever going to keep Yonex irons in my bag for any length of time.

Yonex has tried but not succeeded in the USA market, it makes tennis rackets as well , but never became a big name in USA. This reminds me of the name BATA which was a big name in sneakers (mostly in Asia, Canada and Europe) but can't promote its products in USA, Few years ago I went shopping with a friend from Europe, he said "Polo" icon T-shirt is not well known in Europe, so he bought quite a few "crocodile" T-shirts because that icon is well known in Europe (Paris) and quite expensive... Different strokes for different folks...

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    Yonex has tried but not succeeded in the USA market, it makes tennis rackets as well , but never became a big name in USA. This reminds me of the name BATA which was a big name in sneakers (mostly in Asia, Canada and Europe) but can't promote its products in USA, Few years ago I went shopping with a friend from Europe, he said "Polo" icon T-shirt is not well known in Europe, so he bought quite a few "crocodile" T-shirts because that icon is well known in Europe (Paris) and quite expensive... Different strokes for different folks...
    A former colleague of mine went to Puerto Rico years ago to appraise factory equipment a local bank client of ours had a defaulted lien on. The first day there in San Juan he said many people were snickering at him on the streets and, when meeting his local contact, was told that the Ralph Lauren polo shirt he was wearing with the "Polo" logo was what was making the street folks laugh. "Polo" in Spanish means "chicken". In the '60's, GM was mystified why its extremely popular compact Chevrolet would not sell in Mexico. Turns out "Nova" meant "does not go" to the Mexicans.

A former colleague of mine went to Puerto Rico years ago to appraise factory equipment a local bank client of ours had a defaulted lien on. The first day there in San Juan he said many people were snickering at him on the streets and, when meeting his local contact, was told that the Ralph Lauren polo shirt he was wearing with the "Polo" logo was what was making the street folks laugh. "Polo" in Spanish means "chicken". In the '60's, GM was mystified why its extremely popular compact Chevrolet would not sell in Mexico. Turns out "Nova" meant "does not go" to the Mexicans.
    GM seems mystified about a lot of things and the fact that they didn't research what Nova might mean in Spanish is not surprising at all. In the last 10 years I don't think I've seen one GM car I like.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    GM seems mystified about a lot of things and the fact that they didn't research what Nova might mean in Spanish is not surprising at all. In the last 10 years I don't think I've seen one GM car I like.
    If any of you served in the military, perhaps the name of GM's civilian version of the military vehicle that took the place of the venerable WWII jeep means something to you other than a butch wannabe warrior's truck. (In like "Do you remember your first Hummer?" and the guy responds "yeah, sure." And you come back with "How did the other guy like it?)

If any of you served in the military, perhaps the name of GM's civilian version of the military vehicle that took the place of the venerable WWII jeep means something to you other than a butch wannabe warrior's truck. (In like "Do you remember your first Hummer?" and the guy responds "yeah, sure." And you come back with "How did the other guy like it?)
    I'm pretty sure Hummer is a division of GM but are they still in business?

Some Chinese company bought the rights to the Hummer.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

These Yonex irons were supposedly forged by Endo, so they are probably pretty sweet. I played the Yonex Tour Forged (2nd generation, I think) for a little while and they were pretty nice. Not as soft of a forging as my beloved Wood Brothers irons, but not bad. I'd think these would be a pretty good buy. Because they are rare in the US, you can probably sell them for the same or more after trying them out for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by KoolCat
    These Yonex irons were supposedly forged by Endo, so they are probably pretty sweet. I played the Yonex Tour Forged (2nd generation, I think) for a little while and they were pretty nice. Not as soft of a forging as my beloved Wood Brothers irons, but not bad. I'd think these would be a pretty good buy. Because they are rare in the US, you can probably sell them for the same or more after trying them out for a while.
    Too late, someone already bought them. I saw some websites that sold them for $1600. I saw another set that caught my eye, Titleist 690 MB irons that were in great shape, original grips, near perfect for $214. Man, that three iron looks pretty small though.

Thread Information