|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Nickent Hybrids

Nickent Hybrids

I see that 3DX and 4DX IW models are going for $50 or less now... is this enough of a cue to get me over my poor results with hybrids to date?

PS- apologies to NAH, I didn't pull the trigger yet.
    Last edited by CPS; 07-28-2010 at 09:04 AM.
    Titleist 909D2 9.5, Motore F1 (s)
    Callaway Diablo Edge 3W, E370 (s)
    Ping i5 2-PW, CS Lite (s)
    Callaway X-Tour 54,60
    Ping G5i B60

Quote Originally Posted by CPS
    I see that 3DX and 4DX IW models are going for $50 or less now... is this enough of a cue to get me over my poor results with hybrids to date?

I have (2) 3DX hybrids, 18.5° and 23°. Once I found the right shaft, they're money. I like them better than the TM ones I had before.
    Last edited by Yaz1975; 07-28-2010 at 10:27 AM.

One of my mates just got 2 4dx hybrids and is very pleased with them. I had a 3 dx and thought it was a better player hybrid. ie. it performed well on good swings but was a little unforgiving compared to some. I have given hybrids away for now as I tend to get hookey with them and the 3 dx i had was no exception.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    One of my mates just got 2 4dx hybrids and is very pleased with them. I had a 3 dx and thought it was a better player hybrid. ie. it performed well on good swings but was a little unforgiving compared to some. I have given hybrids away for now as I tend to get hookey with them and the 3 dx i had was no exception.
    Agree. If I just concentrate on being smooth and hitting it easy, the ball really takes off. If I try to crank it up at all, it's hook city. Concentrating on swinging easy is still easier for me than trying to hit a 3 iron off the ground, so the choice for me is simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz1975
    Agree. If I just concentrate on being smooth and hitting it easy, the ball really takes off. If I try to crank it up at all, it's hook city. Concentrating on swinging easy is still easier for me than trying to hit a 3 iron off the ground, so the choice for me is simple.
    Yep, I hit my new, supposedly neutral 21 degree Adams Superblack twice the last time I played. It had been a tremendous hooker on the range. Both were great shots that I couldn't possibly replicate with an iron. The key for me was delaying my arm swing and trying to take my right hand completely out of the shot. Like throwing a frisbee with my left hand.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

I have a 3DX Utility (5/FW) , not sure what that means , I assume it's a 3 hybrid with a 5-wood distance. It's as good as any hybrid out there. I think its head is just a touch heavier than Adam hybrid. I got it for $25 brand new + shipping

Need A Nickent Hybrid

I could use a 4-hybrid, any shaft. Will trade pearly, unblemished ProV1's, black or red. PM me.

The giant hooks you speak of on the range... that is absolutely my experience with hybrids. I've tried opening my grip, cutting down the shaft... that was the point in an earlier thread I was making that there really is a swing differential to get a consistent result.

Anyways, I'm back to my 3-iron for now. It was pesky for a few weeks and I thought I was finally getting old, but it seems to be back in business for now. What I learned as kid seems to hold true, if you set up correctly and hit the 3-iron the same as a 8-iron the system works...
    Titleist 909D2 9.5, Motore F1 (s)
    Callaway Diablo Edge 3W, E370 (s)
    Ping i5 2-PW, CS Lite (s)
    Callaway X-Tour 54,60
    Ping G5i B60

Its all in the shaft. I have a TM 16* that came with the ultralight stiff shaft. It was a hook machine unless I finessed it and sometimes I pull-hooked it anyway. I recently put a Proforce V2 84 gram reg. flex hybrid shaft in it and the extra weight and tip stiffness has totally eliminated the hook and left pull problems and added a level of trajectory control I did not expect. I also have a Cobra Baffler 23* 4 hybrid I got with senior flex graphite shaft (by mistake since I bought it with its twin 5 hybrid that had a stiff shaft) and that club was unhittable so I had a TT light steel shaft put in it and now it just goes about dead straight now matter how hard I wack it. Of the two, I think the V2 is superior and if I was going to bag a bunch of hybrids, I would reshaft all the rest with it.

My 18.5° has an Aldila NV green stiff shaft which feels perfect to me. The 23° has the UST Proforce V2 stiff which is good, just not as good as the Aldila for my swing.

The giant hooks you speak of on the range... that is absolutely my experience with hybrids. I've tried opening my grip, cutting down the shaft... that was the point in an earlier thread I was making that there really is a swing differential to get a consistent result.

Anyways, I'm back to my 3-iron for now. It was pesky for a few weeks and I thought I was finally getting old, but it seems to be back in business for now. What I learned as kid seems to hold true, if you set up correctly and hit the 3-iron the same as a 8-iron the system works...
    It's all in our swing flaws... I never hook any golf hybrid clubs or any club. I could either hit straight, baby fade or sclice. I have to have a severe set up to play a draw (aim 20-25 yds to the right, close a club face and normal swing )... I am surpised to hear some mentioned that hybrid is a hook machine. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    It's all in our swing flaws... I never hook any golf hybrid clubs or any club. I could either hit straight, baby fade or sclice. I have to have a severe set up to play a draw (aim 20-25 yds to the right, close a club face and normal swing )... I am surpised to hear some mentioned that hybrid is a hook machine. Am I missing something?
    The only thing I can say is what has happened to me. With the driver for example, I've had various stages in my game where my misses would go left, then it's off to slice-ville. With the driver and 3 wood, I can miss either direction. But I can not think of a time where I sliced a hybrid, either off the deck or on a tee. It's either straight and pretty when done right, or left and ugly when done wrong.

My 18.5° has an Aldila NV green stiff shaft which feels perfect to me. The 23° has the UST Proforce V2 stiff which is good, just not as good as the Aldila for my swing.
    I guess the key, if you're going to bag hybrids, is to pick your favourite shaft and install it in every one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel
    I guess the key, if you're going to bag hybrids, is to pick your favourite shaft and install it in every one of them.
    I want to. But pulling the V2 shaft for an Aldila would wind up costing 2x what the club is currently worth. I know I shouldn't care, that it's for me and my game and the resale $$ doesn't matter, but the pragmatist in me just can't do it.

I want to. But pulling the V2 shaft for an Aldila would wind up costing 2x what the club is currently worth. I know I shouldn't care, that it's for me and my game and the resale $$ doesn't matter, but the pragmatist in me just can't do it.
    I know. I had a tough time biting the bullet for the V2 re-shaft since my TM was the original model made in 2002 or thereabouts and worth practically nothing except to someone who was looking for that particular model. I was tempted to trade it on another used hybrid at golf galaxy like I've done before but figured I'd just be chasing the perfect club until I found one that worked good in real world conditions instead of in the store hitting booth which tells me Jack Squat.

The only thing I can say is what has happened to me. With the driver for example, I've had various stages in my game where my misses would go left, then it's off to slice-ville. With the driver and 3 wood, I can miss either direction. But I can not think of a time where I sliced a hybrid, either off the deck or on a tee. It's either straight and pretty when done right, or left and ugly when done wrong.
    I reckon hybrids are built that way. They say the "players" ones are neutral bias but they must be toe light in their design to perform the way they do. I had a TM once and i put a fair amount of lead tape on the toe. i still hit big hooks out of the blue. If it is due to a swing flaw how come every other club in the bag would have a consistent fade?
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    I reckon hybrids are built that way. They say the "players" ones are neutral bias but they must be toe light in their design to perform the way they do. I had a TM once and i put a fair amount of lead tape on the toe. i still hit big hooks out of the blue. If it is due to a swing flaw how come every other club in the bag would have a consistent fade?
    I can safely say that I have sliced a hybrid many times, as often as any other club in the bag. I play an older model the Cleveland Halo in 19* and 22* and I have sliced both those babies plenty of times.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Thread Information