|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Meters to Yards

Meters to Yards

I will be flying over to Portugal next Thursday and I will be taking in some of the local courses in the Algarve region. I have played here before and the memory is a good one. The only issue with my first trip was I did not do my homework on my meters to yards conversions and this saw me flying quite a few greens. Anyway the question I have to ask is how to convert meters to yards in a practical way without it becoming a focus? In other words a simple but practical solution is required. Any ideas?

It's a simple 10% difference. If it's measured in meters just add approx 10% to get the approximate yardage or vice versa.

e.g. in meters we have standard markers at 90m, 135m & 180m. Add 10% and these are approximately equivalent to your 100, 150 & 200 yard markers.

Hope that helps. If it's too hard I suggest you get a Sky Caddie!

Enjoy your trip to Portugal.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Yeah I agree with kiwi..

as long as you bring a laser you should be good to go...

The "add 10% rule of thumb" works great. When our local cable system first included the Golf Channel for free a couple of years ago, I watched lots of Euro Tour events in the early weekend hours, especially in the winter when it went a little ways towards easing my golf jones. And I got tired of the announcers calling the players' shot distances so as I watched I did the exercise so that now it is second nature.

Yes I agree with the 10% solution. Being a golfer in a meters country I often have to relate our distances to the American ones in my thinking. The 10% rule is a very accurate and simple method.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    It's a simple 10% difference. If it's measured in meters just add approx 10% to get the approximate yardage or vice versa.

e.g. in meters we have standard markers at 90m, 135m & 180m. Add 10% and these are approximately equivalent to your 100, 150 & 200 yard markers.

Hope that helps. If it's too hard I suggest you get a Sky Caddie!

Enjoy your trip to Portugal.
    Kiwi... You are a smart golfer. Yes 10% is a great estimate (1meter = 1.09361 yd)

I never thought of it that way. 10% works great! I notice it when watching the golf channel now. I was always kinda lost with the whole meters and yards situation on Sport Events .
    I still love Tiger.

Red marker is 110 yards, white one is 165 yards. Ten percent. Worked like a charm in Belgium for all those years. :-)

I even had the clubs to fit those markers. PW at 110, six iron at 165. The lofts on my Pings translated perfectly.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Thread Information