|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

New course management strategy

Tomorrow I am playing a championship course I play fairly regularly and have decided to go the extra yards in preparation. After most rounds I think about better ways I could have played the course, but usually forget by the time I play again and make the same mistakes. I know the pros talk about course management and thinking your way around the course, but when I'm there my mind seems to drift and I play dumb shots that I could have easily avoided. So today I printed a scorecard out at work and worked my way through the course in my head, writing notes for each hole. I wrote down which side of the tee to use and which club and and shot shape to set up the best approach, which side the trouble is on, how many clubs difference on the green from front to back, and the slope of the green. I'm gonna take the notes with me and read them before each hole, and stick rigidly to the strategies I have written down. If this works I may start compiling notes for all the courses I play.

Does anyone else go to this much trouble, or am I over doing it?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Tomorrow I am playing a championship course I play fairly regularly and have decided to go the extra yards in preparation. After most rounds I think about better ways I could have played the course, but usually forget by the time I play again and make the same mistakes. I know the pros talk about course management and thinking your way around the course, but when I'm there my mind seems to drift and I play dumb shots that I could have easily avoided. So today I printed a scorecard out at work and worked my way through the course in my head, writing notes for each hole. I wrote down which side of the tee to use and which club and and shot shape to set up the best approach, which side the trouble is on, how many clubs difference on the green from front to back, and the slope of the green. I'm gonna take the notes with me and read them before each hole, and stick rigidly to the strategies I have written down. If this works I may start compiling notes for all the courses I play.

No, you're not going to excess. Surprisingly, many people are known to use their brain to assess risks vs. rewards and the best strategies for making the best scores possible. Even some pros do something like this, John Daly being an exception. I'm glad you are discovering this strategy. Better late than never........
    Let us know when it takes 4 strokes off your average score........
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

No you're not going overboard. But you're not going to like this: many of the notes you're taking are reasons why people use GPS units. It gives them instant measurements for front, center and back of greens, and lay up yardages. So I don't have to write down notes to follow, it becomes more of a normal routine that I do as I'm playing. I tend to play the hole backwards. since my best shot is generally 100-110, I try to put myself there as often as possible, which may mean a fairway wood/hybrid off the tee instead of driver, or a lay up instead of trying to reach a par 5 in 2. When I am disciplined enough to stay with that strategy, I tend to score way better than when I try to bomb away for the glory shot.

Yesterday was a perfect example. Par 5, water on the right. I hit a moderate drive down the left, laid up with a 7 iron to 120, and stuck a PW to within 8 feet. My partner hit a bomb, then proceeded to "Tin Cup" 3 balls into the water trying to reach it in 2. Nothing in the world can convince him to not go for it every single time. So I card a 4 and he writes down a 10. All because he just couldn't put his ego away and play smart.

Good on you for trying to look at it a new way.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    No, you're not going to excess. Surprisingly, many people are known to use their brain to assess risks vs. rewards and the best strategies for making the best scores possible. Even some pros do something like this, John Daly being an exception. I'm glad you are discovering this strategy. Better late than never........
    Let us know when it takes 4 strokes off your average score........
    Well I've blown out to 11 so if I break 80 tomorrow I'll take at least 4 shots off my average, but itwill take a few good scores to drop 4 off the cap.

I'm really looking forward to golf tomorrow, this will be the first time in my life I am actually mentally prepared for a round. I remember in the old days before gps the top clubs had course books printed which contained yardages and strategies to play the course, and I always read about caddies having to make copious notes about the course, so maybe I have been a little slack up until now. Time will tell if it works or not, but even if it doesn't it was fun sitting down working it all out.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz1975
    No you're not going overboard. But you're not going to like this: many of the notes you're taking are reasons why people use GPS units. It gives them instant measurements for front, center and back of greens, and lay up yardages. So I don't have to write down notes to follow, it becomes more of a normal routine that I do as I'm playing. I tend to play the hole backwards. since my best shot is generally 100-110, I try to put myself there as often as possible, which may mean a fairway wood/hybrid off the tee instead of driver, or a lay up instead of trying to reach a par 5 in 2. When I am disciplined enough to stay with that strategy, I tend to score way better than when I try to bomb away for the glory shot.

Yesterday was a perfect example. Par 5, water on the right. I hit a moderate drive down the left, laid up with a 7 iron to 120, and stuck a PW to within 8 feet. My partner hit a bomb, then proceeded to "Tin Cup" 3 balls into the water trying to reach it in 2. Nothing in the world can convince him to not go for it every single time. So I card a 4 and he writes down a 10. All because he just couldn't put his ego away and play smart.

Good on you for trying to look at it a new way.
    I can definitely see the advantages of GPS, but this is a course I know well and has yardages on sprinkler heads so it should be ok. The notes I have made are more detailed course management strategies tha ust yardages though. What I'm hoping to achieve is to walk onto every tee with a clear picture in my mind of what I'm trying to achieve, instead of umming and arrring about where to tee it up, where to aim, what club to hit etc. Same goes for second and third shots til I get to the green. I can live with poor execution, but I'm sick of getting punished for poor course management.

Well I've blown out to 11 so if I break 80 tomorrow I'll take at least 4 shots off my average, but itwill take a few good scores to drop 4 off the cap.

I'm really looking forward to golf tomorrow, this will be the first time in my life I am actually mentally prepared for a round. I remember in the old days before gps the top clubs had course books printed which contained yardages and strategies to play the course, and I always read about caddies having to make copious notes about the course, so maybe I have been a little slack up until now. Time will tell if it works or not, but even if it doesn't it was fun sitting down working it all out.
    Yeah, I've had times when I'm in a zone, and just seem to intuitively make the right decision. Then there are times when I look back at the end of a hole, or a round, and can't believe some of the poor decisions I've made. I've "played the course in my mind" many times, trying to figure out my strategy ahead of time when their is a big round coming, or I haven't been making good decisions. I think we all do it sometimes.......not that there is anything wrong with that......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Yeah, I've had times when I'm in a zone, and just seem to intuitively make the right decision. Then there are times when I look back at the end of a hole, or a round, and can't believe some of the poor decisions I've made. I've "played the course in my mind" many times, trying to figure out my strategy ahead of time when their is a big round coming, or I haven't been making good decisions. I think we all do it sometimes.......not that there is anything wrong with that......
    That's kind of me as well. Again, yesterday I had to keep reminding myself to play MY game, not my buddy's game. He'll give me $hit for laying up when it's 210 to the hole, but I just don't hit a consistent shot that I can count on from that distance. So I'll lay up and make par. But when he's berating me (albeit friendly) for not going for it, I just have to tell myself that that's not my game, it's his game. And I have to resist temptation and stick to the strategy that works best for me. And truth be told, I play way better, I'm calmer, and I have a much better time when I stick with the course management approach that works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz1975
    That's kind of me as well. Again, yesterday I had to keep reminding myself to play MY game, not my buddy's game. He'll give me $hit for laying up when it's 210 to the hole, but I just don't hit a consistent shot that I can count on from that distance. So I'll lay up and make par. But when he's berating me (albeit friendly) for not going for it, I just have to tell myself that that's not my game, it's his game. And I have to resist temptation and stick to the strategy that works best for me. And truth be told, I play way better, I'm calmer, and I have a much better time when I stick with the course management approach that works for me.
    Some of my worst decisions come during games when I'm playing with people who can hit it significantly farther than I can. Those two cells inside my scrotum which are still producing testosterone go into overdrive, and I'll make decisions that are very much like Daly or Mickelson on some of their more decerebrate days.

I went to as much or more trouble to prepare for a two round stroke play tournament last weekend. I had all my distances from lob wedge to driver pretty much dialed in and made elaborate aerial diagrams of each hole on the two courses the rounds were played on with max distances to trouble. I had everything perfect and then Mr. Murphy reared his fugly head and made some heavy rain before the first round on Saturday and after our fourth hole on Sunday culminating in gully-washers that flooded all the greens and bunkers. The wet conditions totally f*cked my game plan for each round and I reverted to the old ways. However, my philosophy is that even in the worst clusterf*ck, if you survive, you will learn something valuable for next time. Sort of a paraphrase of "what does not kill me makes me stronger."

Time to man up NAH

NAH you're going soft on us and I am saddened to witness this happen before our very eyes so I will do what I can to drag you back from the abyss my friend.

The only strategy you need is to hit driver off every tee, hit 3 wood on every par 5, shoot at every pin and putt aggressively to make the putt. Lag putts are for sissies.

Print this out and keep it in the golf bag and you can't go wrong.

Sincerely your friend
    Kiwi
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Kiwi, you are a classic!! What would we do without you to uphold the GR traditions.
    I'm not sure that NAH is going soft; maybe just a little older and wiser. you can get sick of talking penalty shots and chipping out from being dead because you go for every shot.
    I have not much choice at my age to play smart as a fair bit of the strength and testosterone is gone. The stadegy NAH employs is instinctively how i play my home courses after hundreds or rounds honing my ability to sore well given that I am in some good form.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

NERD!!!

Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

NAH

You are the last real GR man, and now you have sunk to my level. You are prostituting everything you hold dear to shoot better scores.

You are now only a gnats bollock from bagging a hybrid. Man up NAH, its just a game

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

I hope you are joking.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Kiwi, Edgey, Sooner and HB, I was expecting this and in some ways was probably askng for it, but I think you are mistaking soft with smart. This type of course management can probably allow me to play more agressively, not less, as the aim is to take the doubts out of my mind standing over a shot and be able to go for it knowing that if I hit it well I will be in great shape, but a miss will still leave me alive. Nothing in golf is more frustrating than smoking a drive only to find you've run though the dogleg into the rough, or find a fairway bunker, or find that your approach is blocked out by an overhanging tree. Being well prepared for a round of golf is not playing soft. The strategy I worked out still had me hitting driver on every par 5 and every par 4 bar 1, and hitting 3 wood second shots on every par 5 bar 1, it just made think more about where to stand on the tee and where to aim instead of just blindly blazing away.

Unfortunately I couldn't really find out how well it works as I was put off from the moment I arrived. When I got to the starters box they told me I was hitting off form 10, which really fukt with my head as I had been planning my round from the first tee, and there are a couple of holes early in the back nine which are hard to play when you haven't loosened up. Then I found out that todat was the once a month monster day, where they put the pins in wicked positions and play formn the tips. To add to this, the fukwit greenskeepers decided that they would make it harder by narowing the markers, and placing them on the opposite side tee box from where I had decided to play from. This type of shitt from greenskeepers is one of my pet hates. I understand they are trying to make the course harder, but that's what pin placements are for, IMO putting the markers close together on one side of the tee box takes the choice out of the game and forces you to play a particular shot. Today it pissed me off even more as it threw half my notes out the window, and most of the narrow tee placements forced you to hit towards the trouble, usually with the fairway sloping the same way. To add t my frustrations I couldn't play a decent iron all day, the TPS's are back in the bag. I found out today that the best plans in the world aren't worth a packet of poo tickets if you can't execute. On the few holes I managed to hit decent shots the new strategy paid off, and I found myself in positions to make easy pars, but those holes was rare. I struggled to a woeful 88, and that was only because I made some outrageous putts and parred the last.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    I hope you are joking.
    I wish I was joking HB, believe me. But I'm in an extended slump that has seen me blow out from 7 heading towards 6 and playing sub 80 (70 at my goat track) every week to 11 and notevenplaying to that. I need to chage somehitng about the way I approach the game or I'm gonna have to change my name to Absolutely a Hacker.

Kiwi, Edgey, Sooner and HB, I was expecting this and in some ways was probably askng for it, but I think you are mistaking soft with smart. This type of course management can probably allow me to play more agressively, not less, as the aim is to take the doubts out of my mind standing over a shot and be able to go for it knowing that if I hit it well I will be in great shape, but a miss will still leave me alive. Nothing in golf is more frustrating than smoking a drive only to find you've run though the dogleg into the rough, or find a fairway bunker, or find that your approach is blocked out by an overhanging tree. Being well prepared for a round of golf is not playing soft. The strategy I worked out still had me hitting driver on every par 5 and every par 4 bar 1, and hitting 3 wood second shots on every par 5 bar 1, it just made think more about where to stand on the tee and where to aim instead of just blindly blazing away.

Unfortunately I couldn't really find out how well it works as I was put off from the moment I arrived. When I got to the starters box they told me I was hitting off form 10, which really fukt with my head as I had been planning my round from the first tee, and there are a couple of holes early in the back nine which are hard to play when you haven't loosened up. Then I found out that todat was the once a month monster day, where they put the pins in wicked positions and play formn the tips. To add to this, the fukwit greenskeepers decided that they would make it harder by narowing the markers, and placing them on the opposite side tee box from where I had decided to play from. This type of shitt from greenskeepers is one of my pet hates. I understand they are trying to make the course harder, but that's what pin placements are for, IMO putting the markers close together on one side of the tee box takes the choice out of the game and forces you to play a particular shot. Today it pissed me off even more as it threw half my notes out the window, and most of the narrow tee placements forced you to hit towards the trouble, usually with the fairway sloping the same way. To add t my frustrations I couldn't play a decent iron all day, the TPS's are back in the bag. I found out today that the best plans in the world aren't worth a packet of poo tickets if you can't execute. On the few holes I managed to hit decent shots the new strategy paid off, and I found myself in positions to make easy pars, but those holes was rare. I struggled to a woeful 88, and that was only because I made some outrageous putts and parred the last.
    Geez Hacker.

First of all you go all soft on us with your lame course management thread then when when it backfires big time and blows up in your face you come back with more excuses than a Wallaby coach! Harden up you p.ussy before your man card is officially revoked!

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Geez Hacker.

First of all you go all soft on us with your lame course management thread then when when it backfires big time and blows up in your face you come back with more excuses than a Wallaby coach! Harden up you p.ussy before your man card is officially revoked!
    Gotta agree with you on this one Kiwi.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Geez Hacker.

I know they are excuses, but that sort of crap from greenskeepers really does get to me on a deep psycholgical level. I still don't know if it's a case of them just being lazy, or a deliberate act of absolute bastardry. The tees were made wide for a reason, to give people choices of how to approach the shot. In a big tournament they would use the whole tee, not throw a couple of markers down within 5 yards of each other on the side of the tee they happen to be riding past.

I know they are excuses, but that sort of crap from greenskeepers really does get to me on a deep psycholgical level. I still don't know if it's a case of them just being lazy, or a deliberate act of absolute bastardry. The tees were made wide for a reason, to give people choices of how to approach the shot. In a big tournament they would use the whole tee, not throw a couple of markers down within 5 yards of each other on the side of the tee they happen to be riding past.
    For f ucks sake, MAN UP!!!!

It was the same course, tees and greens for everyone. You are sounding like that whinging tub of lard, Mrs Doubtfire. Next thing you will be complaining that someone (within 5 miles of you) made a noise (only audible by Dogs and you) that put you off.

The course didnt f uck you NAH, you f ucked you by allowing the unexpected to screw with your mind.

Course management isnt about writing down a plan, its a state of mind. My entire game is built on course management (as a 250yd hitter on a 7k yd course it has to be) and i can promise you i dont need a written plan to make it work.

Either grip it and rip it or accept you are a Zach Johnson, but stop f ucking whining. You sound like a POM!!

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

This is funny. I was in a meeting all day yesterday NAH so I couldn't post but I was going to predict this. Plan's are great but you can't get too devoted in them because they will change. If your too devoted in the plan you're screwed when you can't execute; so now you're in double trouble. Even if the course wasn't tricked up, you could have shown up and found that your normal driver draw is now a hook or a fade. So all of your plans go out the window and it puts too much pressure on your game.

I find that it's more productive to generalize your plan, strategy would be a better term. The are plans like don't hit driver a short par 4's, or to fire at the center of the greens, or know what part of the hole puts you in jail, or where the bail out areas are around the greens. These are far better for someone of my and your skills. Knowing your dead on a green if your long and a miss short is rewarded with an easy 60* b&r is the type of information I like to keep in my notes. A plan for a hole is items like red light if the pin is back right and green light if it's center or left. Sometimes it's good to rationale that a hole is a par 4.5 for the field, or even just yourself, and a 5 is ok. So playing to a safe chipping area and trying to get up and down for par might be better than getting suckered into a pin and in trouble. This keeps me in the round mentally. Also, sometimes the plan is made on the driving range especially if my driver is off and I'll plan to take 3 wood off every tee that has trouble or hazards and stick to it until I see the some good drives on open holes.

The problem I have is that most courses do not give out pin sheets and on many holes it's hard to tell where the pin is from the tee. Since you have to work the hole back from green to tee it's sometimes impossible to know for certain what the strategy should be for a hole until your already committed with a tee shot.

Sorry your plan backfired but I don't think the exercise was for nothing. Even falling flat on your face is forward motion.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    This is funny. I was in a meeting all day yesterday NAH so I couldn't post but I was going to predict this. Plan's are great but you can't get too devoted in them because they will change. If your too devoted in the plan you're screwed when you can't execute; so now you're in double trouble. Even if the course wasn't tricked up, you could have shown up and found that your normal driver draw is now a hook or a fade. So all of your plans go out the window and it puts too much pressure on your game.

I find that it's more productive to generalize your plan, strategy would be a better term. The are plans like don't hit driver a short par 4's, or to fire at the center of the greens, or know what part of the hole puts you in jail, or where the bail out areas are around the greens. These are far better for someone of my and your skills. Knowing your dead on a green if your long and a miss short is rewarded with an easy 60* b&r is the type of information I like to keep in my notes. A plan for a hole is items like red light if the pin is back right and green light if it's center or left. Sometimes it's good to rationale that a hole is a par 4.5 for the field, or even just yourself, and a 5 is ok. So playing to a safe chipping area and trying to get up and down for par might be better than getting suckered into a pin and in trouble. This keeps me in the round mentally. Also, sometimes the plan is made on the driving range especially if my driver is off and I'll plan to take 3 wood off every tee that has trouble or hazards and stick to it until I see the some good drives on open holes.

The problem I have is that most courses do not give out pin sheets and on many holes it's hard to tell where the pin is from the tee. Since you have to work the hole back from green to tee it's sometimes impossible to know for certain what the strategy should be for a hole until your already committed with a tee shot.

Sorry your plan backfired but I don't think the exercise was for nothing. Even falling flat on your face is forward motion.
    Agreed. For courses I've played a lot, I remember all the trouble spots and try to avoid them. Some aren't as obvious as others, mostly around and even on greens.
    Even though I've played the SPCC a couple hundred times, I still find new spots to avoid.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Agreed. For courses I've played a lot, I remember all the trouble spots and try to avoid them. Some aren't as obvious as others, mostly around and even on greens.
    Even though I've played the SPCC a couple hundred times, I still find new spots to avoid.
    You're better than me. I re-find them, sometimes over and over again. I just had a hole last week that is a Par 5, heavily bunkered on the front, pin front. I'm about 205 out and into a light breeze. I play this course enough and I know there's nothing long. I also know I have to hit a full 4 iron to clear the bunker and roll out to the pin. I had my hand on the 3 but convinced myself to go for the 4. I even said to my friend that I might be a half club short. Hit it right but the breeze picked up and knocked about 5 yards short and now I've got a fried egg lie in the face of a deep bunker. Went from an easy birdie, possibly a eagle, to a scrambling par. I should have taken the 3 and been fine with at the worst being a chip and putt for a birdie and best a longish putt for an eagle. Idiot.

I'm not a formally trained psychiatrist, NAH, so I hesitate to go down this road, but then I can strongly relate to your situation because not long ago I swore off scantily clad bimbos. And you're a friend in need.

When we replay our failures, it's because we choose to do so. You have some sort of unresolved issue from your past that's driving the boat here. It's pointless to deny it with pathetic, anal, Zach Johnson-like course management. You have to go deep into your cranial machinery to figure it out

In Edgey's case, he's English, we needn't look any further. Dorkman is, well, Dorkman. Oldplayer is p.ussy whipped.

But you're an Aussie. You're supposed to make ego/testosterone driven stupid decisions. It's your fate. Go against this and you pay the price.

So accept your fate. If you fight it there will be angst, hopelessness and cross-dressing. You may not yet realize it, but the Wilson fat shafts were essentially a first step towards cross dressing.
    GR lives...

Hey, NAH, at the course I play at, the greenskeepers don't even play golf. So, whenever they put the tee markers in stupid places on the tee box, we just move them to where they need to be. The tee markers usually stay there the rest of the week because the greenskeepers are too lazy to move them.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    You're better than me. I re-find them, sometimes over and over again. I just had a hole last week that is a Par 5, heavily bunkered on the front, pin front. I'm about 205 out and into a light breeze. I play this course enough and I know there's nothing long. I also know I have to hit a full 4 iron to clear the bunker and roll out to the pin. I had my hand on the 3 but convinced myself to go for the 4. I even said to my friend that I might be a half club short. Hit it right but the breeze picked up and knocked about 5 yards short and now I've got a fried egg lie in the face of a deep bunker. Went from an easy birdie, possibly a eagle, to a scrambling par. I should have taken the 3 and been fine with at the worst being a chip and putt for a birdie and best a longish putt for an eagle. Idiot.
    No, I still re-find them. The worst thing I do is try too hard to avoid trouble spots.
    Our 9th hole is a 215-220ish par 3 with the driving range on the left by the green. I've hit it on the range before (as has everyone, multiple times), and it's a guaranteed 4 at best, plus the ribbing you get from everyone on the range. My new way to play this hole is to block it in the trees right of the green. WTF?
    We also have a joke of a par 5 on the back 9 with OB about 20 yards left of the fairway. I always remember the one time I knocked my tee shot over the fence, so my go-to shot is a fade into the trees on the right. With good drives, I've always got an iron in my hands, no matter what the conditions are like.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Course management ideas really only work out when you're consistent enough to not have a god awful drive. What if you snap hook one into the s.hit? You now have to decide if the lie's good enough to advance the ball far enough where you're near or on the green. If you can't make it to the green, where are you punching out? Or are you still trying to get it as close to the green as you can? If you're doing the latter, where's the pin in relation to the green? Where's an acceptable place to miss?

All things that are tough to do when you don't know how the holes are going to be set for that day. It's easier to make those decisions on the tee box when you have all the information in front of you and you know how you're swinging that day.

New Course Management Strategy = BPC Matcplay Strategies thread?

I may have scorned this thread initially but on reflection I believe that it has the potential to become an epic and take its place in the pantheon of great GR instructional threads right alongside the legendary BPC Matchplay Strategies thread. We all refer to tactics from that thread when faced with an upcoming match play event and I'm sure that in the fullness of time this thread will take up that mantel and will be similarly referred to when looking for Course Management Strategies.

Well done NAH!

Now where the f#ck am I?

I may have scorned this thread initially but on reflection I believe that it has the potential to become an epic and take its place in the pantheon of great GR instructional threads right alongside the legendary BPC Matchplay Strategies thread. We all refer to tactics from that thread when faced with an upcoming match play event and I'm sure that in the fullness of time this thread will take up that mantel and will be similarly referred to when looking for Course Management Strategies.

Well done NAH!
    I agree that this thread has all the hallmarks of a GR classic, but not for the reasons you suggest.

I believe this will become a "where were you when" thread. In this case, where were you when NAH stopped being a GR legend and became a shirt lifting, fudge packing, star piece stabbing, limp wristed, Camp Freddy, pooftah.

Edgey

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    I agree that this thread has all the hallmarks of a GR classic, but not for the reasons you suggest.

I believe this will become a "where were you when" thread. In this case, where were you when NAH stopped being a GR legend and became a shirt lifting, fudge packing, star piece stabbing, limp wristed, Camp Freddy, pooftah.

Edgey
    I was making travel plans again. Seems like that's all I do.
    GR lives...

Edgey
    Yeah he does seem to be metamorphosising from a John Daly grip it and rip it legend to a short knocking Cory Pavin type before our very eyes. Say what you like but I still blame it on his abandonment of GFF over two years ago.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Yeah he does seem to be metamorphosising from a John Daly grip it and rip it legend to a short knocking Cory Pavin type before our very eyes. Say what you like but I still blame it on his abandonment of GFF over two years ago.
    It looks like veganism has wormed its pusssy ways into his whole life. In another year, he'll be reciting scripture in his head between shots a la Zach Johnson.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

It looks like veganism has wormed its pusssy ways into his whole life. In another year, he'll be reciting scripture in his head between shots a la Zach Johnson.
    Veganism and Wilson Fatshafts have taken their toll ... pretty sad really.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Edgey

I was sitting on my throne surveying my kingdom (dropping a deuce).

I'll never forget that bowel movement. This milestone will linger in my memory long after the odor dissipates...

I should open a window now.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    Course management ideas really only work out when you're consistent enough to not have a god awful drive. What if you snap hook one into the s.hit? You now have to decide if the lie's good enough to advance the ball far enough where you're near or on the green. If you can't make it to the green, where are you punching out? Or are you still trying to get it as close to the green as you can? If you're doing the latter, where's the pin in relation to the green? Where's an acceptable place to miss?

All things that are tough to do when you don't know how the holes are going to be set for that day. It's easier to make those decisions on the tee box when you have all the information in front of you and you know how you're swinging that day.

I agree with all of this.

It's usually an exercise in futility trying to plan your way around a course before even hitting the first tee shot, but it's still important to have some sort of plan for each hole, for each tee shot especially.

Maybe you'll hit it where you were trying, or maybe you miss - but what matters most is which shots you TRY to pull off. Picking the right place to aim with the club you've chosen, and staying realistic - not trying to take more than the course gives you.

This game is too dynamic to stick to a predetermined strategy. Playing the course as you find it and having a flexible strategy is the best approach IMO.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

I think we should cut HAH some slack here. He clearly has a burning ambition to lower his handicap and has tried many and varied ways of doing that. It is probably out of desperation that he has chosen Zach Johnson as a role model.
    You have to give NAH credit for leaving no stone unturned in his quest to be a low single figure golfer.
    As far as me being p ussy whipped Lorenzo I'll have you know I am now making my oatmeal with full cream milk; and what's wrong with cross dressing? I'll bet you have got up to some way more kinky sh!t in your many and varied escapades.

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    I think we should cut HAH some slack here. He clearly has a burning ambition to lower his handicap and has tried many and varied ways of doing that. It is probably out of desperation that he has chosen Zach Johnson as a role model.
    You have to give NAH credit for leaving no stone unturned in his quest to be a low single figure golfer.
    As far as me being p ussy whipped Lorenzo I'll have you know I am now making my oatmeal with full cream milk; and what's wrong with cross dressing? I'll bet you have got up to some way more kinky sh!t in your many and varied escapades.
    Sorry OP but their is a stone that goes unturned, the hybrid.....

Edgey

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002

Disagree.

It's not all about planning everything out and having no margin for error. In your scenario, course management could be thinking "OK, bad drive. Now, what do I need to hit to get back to a good distance to try and stick it close and save par, or at least minimize the damage." Not "OK, bad drive. Now I throw everything out the window and try to rip a miracle shot that has a very low percentage of being successful."

Also, knowing where the pins are going to be isn't the be-all, end-all decider. It'll help, but you can still stick to your general game plan. Your example is far too rigid.

here's my issue with choosing what club you will use on every tee, what type of shot you will hit on every approach, and such... it's never actually the same condition or variables each time, when i play in my practice rounds for my sectional stuff, or for mini tours i dont figure out what club i need to hit on tees (except par 3's if there's a lot of elevation change), and etc. all i do is get yardages from various object to put in my yardage book and try to get to know the course as best i can... if you do that then it doesnt matter if you hit your drive somewhere you weren't planning you can recover cause you know the layout, you know the contour, and you know the yardages... you dont need a "game-plan" it's golf, the game-plan is to shoot as low as you possibly can... if your a good ball-striker then it doesnt matter if you get in trouble, for instance last time i played on it happened twice... once on like hole 9 or 10 i hit it behind some trees on the left side, now i was in the fairway but litterally had no shot (oddest thing ever to happen to me really) so i hit my 7 from 175 and tried to go over it, it hit the tree and kicked forward but landed like 60 yards out, ht 58* to 3 feet made par; next time it was 18 i hit a overdraw off the tee of a 590yd par 5 so i had like 320 in i was in some overgrowth i punched out to 165 hit 8 irons to 7ft and made birdie... point being if youre a good ball striker dont play scared know youre gonna hit some bad shot and know your good enough to get out of it, it should be a non-issue

dont over complicate it.. just hit it at your target, it really is that easy... and when your playing badly scrape it together hit big hooks if you have to just get the job done...

Sorry OP but their is a stone that goes unturned, the hybrid.....

Edgey
    Edgey - you beat me to it!

Maybe a hybrid or two in the bag will be the magic elixir that will change NAH's fortunes. Let's face it they wouldn't look out of place alongside a bag of Fatshafts.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Edgey - you beat me to it!

Maybe a hybrid or two in the bag will be the magic elixir that will change NAH's fortunes. Let's face it they wouldn't look out of place alongside a bag of Fatshafts.
    Fat shafts and Zach Johnson golf can only lead to one place, hybrids.

NAH is a lost soul

Edgey

The Fat shafts have gone, so you can take that flame out of your posts guys.

HB and Kiwi, just for your edification, Mike Tyson is a vegan. Please post the video when you go call him a pussie.

The Fat shafts have gone, so you can take that flame out of your posts guys.

HB and Kiwi, just for your edification, Mike Tyson is a vegan. Please post the video when you go call him a pussie.
    Well he wasn't in 1997, when he made a meal of Evander Holyfields ear. Or maybe he was and was just CRAVING some meat?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Well he wasn't in 1997, when he made a meal of Evander Holyfields ear. Or maybe he was and was just CRAVING some meat?
    I don't think he swallowed, he just spit it out. But yes, back when Iron Mike was the baddest man on the planet he wasn't vegan. He has since evolved. There are actually quite a few vegetarians and vegans in MMA, Mac Danzig is a noteable one.

P.S. For my recent birthday I got the new autobiographical, warts and allk Mike Tyson DVD. Well worth viewing if you get the chance. It will give you a different perspective on the violent mindless thug he has been protrayed as over the years.

P.P.S. Tyson only bit Holyfields ear becasue he was getting continually butted and the ref wasn't doing anything about it. I've watched the fight a few times and others involving Holyfield and he is clearly a dirty fighter. Not that there's anything wrong with that, he just shouldn't have made such a big deal when someone else fought dirty.

I don't think he swallowed, he just spit it out. But yes, back when Iron Mike was the baddest man on the planet he wasn't vegan. He has since evolved. There are actually quite a few vegetarians and vegans in MMA, Mac Danzig is a noteable one.

P.S. For my recent birthday I got the new autobiographical, warts and allk Mike Tyson DVD. Well worth viewing if you get the chance. It will give you a different perspective on the violent mindless thug he has been protrayed as over the years.

P.P.S. Tyson only bit Holyfields ear becasue he was getting continually butted and the ref wasn't doing anything about it. I've watched the fight a few times and others involving Holyfield and he is clearly a dirty fighter. Not that there's anything wrong with that, he just shouldn't have made such a big deal when someone else fought dirty.
    I was really into boxing back in Tysons heyday but have little more than a passing interest in it these days. Back then I could name all three 'World' champions in every weight class from the WBC, WBA and IBF. The WBO came along a few years later so I have no idea how many sanctioning bodies and titles they have these days. Might be four or more? What a joke. It was great when Tyson unified the title and became undisputed champ.

Agree that Holyfield was butting Tyson but in reality Tyson was sh.it scared of Holyfield going into that match and didn't want to be there. He had been bullied and beaten into submission in the first fight and knew going in to the rematch that there was nothing he could do differently to alter the result and avoid another inevitable knockout loss. So rather than fight like the warrior he held himself out to be and be carried out on his shield he simply took the cowardly option and fouled his way out of the fight. At one point in the first round he tried to break Holyfields arm with an arm lock in a clinch. And then made a 'Real Meal' out of the 'Real Deal' in the second round.

I loved the Holyfield interview after that fight. He normally just bangs on about God but this time he had a real go at Tyson. Tyson tried to attack Holyfield after the stoppage and had to be 'held back' by security - yeah right! Holy fields comment: "Why couldn't he whip me with the gloves on? This is not a rumble, where after the fight is stopped you get brave and you really wanna fight! We had a fight already!" LOL

Now where the f#ck am I?

I was really into boxing back in Tysons heyday but have little more than a passing interest in it these days. Back then I could name all three 'World' champions in every weight class from the WBC, WBA and IBF. The WBO came along a few years later so I have no idea how many sanctioning bodies and titles they have these days. Might be four or more? What a joke. It was great when Tyson unified the title and became undisputed champ.

Agree that Holyfield was butting Tyson but in reality Tyson was sh.it scared of Holyfield going into that match and didn't want to be there. He had been bullied and beaten into submission in the first fight and knew going in to the rematch that there was nothing he could do differently to alter the result and avoid another inevitable knockout loss. So rather than fight like the warrior he held himself out to be and be carried out on his shield he simply took the cowardly option and fouled his way out of the fight. At one point in the first round he tried to break Holyfields arm with an arm lock in a clinch. And then made a 'Real Meal' out of the 'Real Deal' in the second round.

I loved the Holyfield interview after that fight. He normally just bangs on about God but this time he had a real go at Tyson. Tyson tried to attack Holyfield after the stoppage and had to be 'held back' by security - yeah right! Holy fields comment: "Why couldn't he whip me with the gloves on? This is not a rumble, where after the fight is stopped you get brave and you really wanna fight! We had a fight already!" LOL
    Holyfield was dirtier in the first fight. And another thing to consider was the physique of Holyfield. I have never seen a more roided up boxer than Holyfield when he first fought Tyson. He has been nowhere near that size before or since. Google it and see Holyfields back, it's ridiculous. There were always suspicions that Tyson may have roided, but with Holyfield there is no doubt.

Like you, I was right into boxing back in the day, I loved watching Oscar, Quartey, Trinidad and Mosely going at it in the early 90s. Boxing has taken too many black eyes since then, I've lost interest. I know you don't agree, but for mine UFC has got it all over boxing. No corrupt judges, no fixed fights, no blatant mismatches, no 'champions' ducking dngerous fighters and feasting on set-ups. Just real champions taking on number one contenders, and full on blood and guts violence.

Holyfield was dirtier in the first fight. And another thing to consider was the physique of Holyfield. I have never seen a more roided up boxer than Holyfield when he first fought Tyson. He has been nowhere near that size before or since. Google it and see Holyfields back, it's ridiculous. There were always suspicions that Tyson may have roided, but with Holyfield there is no doubt.

Like you, I was right into boxing back in the day, I loved watching Oscar, Quartey, Trinidad and Mosely going at it in the early 90s. Boxing has taken too many black eyes since then, I've lost interest. I know you don't agree, but for mine UFC has got it all over boxing. No corrupt judges, no fixed fights, no blatant mismatches, no 'champions' ducking dngerous fighters and feasting on set-ups. Just real champions taking on number one contenders, and full on blood and guts violence.
    Yeah it's probably run better and the participants seem to have more integrity but it just doesn't appeal to me as a spectacle.

I saw a clip on TV about some MMA or UFC event coming up and James Toney was going to try his hand at UFC and take on some established fighter. Have you heard anything about that? Toney must be getting up there in age but he's nuts enough to do it.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Yeah it's probably run better and the participants seem to have more integrity but it just doesn't appeal to me as a spectacle.

I saw a clip on TV about some MMA or UFC event coming up and James Toney was going to try his hand at UFC and take on some established fighter. Have you heard anything about that? Toney must be getting up there in age but he's nuts enough to do it.
    I saw the ads for that fight, he was fighting UFC hall of famer Randy Couture. Not sure if it's happened yet. Couture is about 45 or 46 and still looks ripped, I think he will wipe the floor with Lights Out.

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    My imagination in some areas has few limits.
    GR lives...

I don't think Toney is going to fare very in UFC/MMA unless he's been practicing dryhumping. Couture will have him tapping out with a vicious 69.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I don't think Toney is going to fare very in UFC/MMA unless he's been practicing dryhumping. Couture will have him tapping out with a vicious 69.
    It's set to happen in a week on August 28. It will be humiliating for a career tough guy like Toney to be forced into a 69 with some muscle mary's a.ss in his face and then be dry humped into submission by this old pervert UFC Veteran. What an undignified way to end an otherwise glorious boxing career.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I saw the ads for that fight, he was fighting UFC hall of famer Randy Couture. Not sure if it's happened yet. Couture is about 45 or 46 and still looks ripped, I think he will wipe the floor with Lights Out.
    Don't you mean 'hump' the floor with Lights Out?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Thread Information