|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

The importance of the divot

This subject has been discussed before I suspect. But it is worth looking at again-- since the divot is among the best possible symptoms of a good swing-- maybe even better than the ball flight--since that can go well with a horrible swing--disguising inconsistency.

I play regularly with a guy who is very solid--scratch when he plays several times a week and 3-handcap or so when he plays only weekends. He hits it down the middle off the tee and hits most greens from the fairway. His chipping and putting gets rusty when he doesn't play often, of course.

I watch his practice swing and see a wonderful divot--exactly like the pros. He throws a dollar size grass divot that starts an inch or so in front of the ball position. But then when he hits the ball his divot is not that good. He still makes crisp contact, but the ball doesn't go exactly where he plans and the divot is not nearly as good as his practice swing divot. And he says so-- he knows that something is different when a ball is down. He decelerates or something-- And we both know that if he could make that perfect divot when the ball is down--he would hit flagsticks, not just greens!

So that is what I practice on the range. I take only a 6i and work ONLY on striking the ball crisply and making a good divot in front of the ball. And I believe the effort to do that requires a correct golf swing--that will repeat.

In order to make a good divot I must bring the clubhead to the ball accelerating--and on plane. In order to do that I must step onto my front leg EARLY in the backswing and get myself stabilized before I strike the ball. For me that seems to require me to setup with my front leg relatively straight-- so that I can engage my front hip and freely rotate my hips toward the target to power my downswing.

I can consistently do it--ONLY when I swing with far less than maximum effort. If I try to hit with "normal" speed, too often I will involuntarily rush through the SHIFT phase of the swing-- lag back, and my divot will be shallow--or non-existent! I might even top the ball because my clubhead is already going back UP! The divot doesn't lie. It tells us (and your teaching pro) exactly what happened in your golf swing.

So I believe simply focusing on the divot with a medium iron is a very very good practice method. It might also be the best way to play the course!

I hit only 40-50 balls because even a little fatique changes everything. It is far better to just sit down for a while (like Hogan did) or if you need to move on, quit and come back tomorrow.

What do you think?

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf
    This subject has been discussed before I suspect. But it is worth looking at again-- since the divot is among the best possible symptoms of a good swing-- maybe even better than the ball flight--since that can go well with a horrible swing--disguising inconsistency.

I play regularly with a guy who is very solid--scratch when he plays several times a week and 3-handcap or so when he plays only weekends. He hits it down the middle off the tee and hits most greens from the fairway. His chipping and putting gets rusty when he doesn't play often, of course.

I watch his practice swing and see a wonderful divot--exactly like the pros. He throws a dollar size grass divot that starts an inch or so in front of the ball position. But then when he hits the ball his divot is not that good. He still makes crisp contact, but the ball doesn't go exactly where he plans and the divot is not nearly as good as his practice swing divot. And he says so-- he knows that something is different when a ball is down. He decelerates or something-- And we both know that if he could make that perfect divot when the ball is down--he would hit flagsticks, not just greens!

So that is what I practice on the range. I take only a 6i and work ONLY on striking the ball crisply and making a good divot in front of the ball. And I believe the effort to do that requires a correct golf swing--that will repeat.

In order to make a good divot I must bring the clubhead to the ball accelerating--and on plane. In order to do that I must step onto my front leg EARLY in the backswing and get myself stabilized before I strike the ball. For me that seems to require me to setup with my front leg relatively straight-- so that I can engage my front hip and freely rotate my hips toward the target to power my downswing.

I can consistently do it--ONLY when I swing with far less than maximum effort. If I try to hit with "normal" speed, too often I will involuntarily rush through the SHIFT phase of the swing-- lag back, and my divot will be shallow--or non-existent! I might even top the ball because my clubhead is already going back UP! The divot doesn't lie. It tells us (and your teaching pro) exactly what happened in your golf swing.

So I believe simply focusing on the divot with a medium iron is a very very good practice method. It might also be the best way to play the course!

I hit only 40-50 balls because even a little fatique changes everything. It is far better to just sit down for a while (like Hogan did) or if you need to move on, quit and come back tomorrow.

What do you think?

Larry
    I think your crazy if you are taking divots with your practice swing(s) and I don't see pro's doing this - ever. In fact, when I see someone take a divot with a practice swing it confirms that 1) they have no clue where the club head is and they will probably either skull or hack the ball with the actual swing; the divot was by accident or 2) they have complete disregard for the course and their fellow golfers. But now that you have written this there is obviously a 3rd reason. You have no clue where the club head is and you have complete disregard for the course and your fellow golfers. Please STOP taking divots with your practice swing; it's uncalled for and damages the course. I can take numerous practice swings and brush the grass. Then address the ball and take a divot. Until you can do this either don't take a practice swing or stay on the range.

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)
    Wow.

There is so much nonsense in this post, I hardly know where to start...

...oh, well: to work then.

Actually, neither of you knows that. One of the reasons that practice swings look so perfect is that you cannot actually tell whether or not you did everything precisely right...

...because there is no consequence and no evidence that you did it wrong.

Take a practice swing and take a "perfect" divot and then ask yourself: do you actually know precisely where you had taken your setup, and thus whether your divot was actually in the same place rather than farther out (shank), or nearer to you (off the toe), or further forward (thin), or further back(fat!)?

And can you tell whether the face as actually a few degrees open... ..or closed?

And striking the same club over and over is a recipe for not playing well on the course, because...

...BIG SURPRISE...

...you almost never get to hit 6 iron after 6 iron after 6 iron.

In order to make a good divot you need only have the club still traveling downward when it reaches the ball.

But kudos: you actually used the words "for me" rather than your usual "everyone"!

It tells some of what happened.

Let us know when you finally post an honest score below 90...

What do you think?
    I think you've discovered a great technique...

...for how to look good hitting 6 iron about 130 yards on a practice range.

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP2 w/Project X shafts 3-PW
    Cleveland 52°, Titleist Vokey 56° & 60°
    Tommy Armour Model 6 putter.

0 pro's take diviots on practice swings. 0. Okay, maybe one ****ing idiot that's 450th in the world.

I ****ING hate people who divot during practice swings.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    I think your crazy if you are taking divots with your practice swing(s) and I don't see pro's doing this - ever. In fact, when I see someone take a divot with a practice swing it confirms that 1) they have no clue where the club head is and they will probably either skull or hack the ball with the actual swing; the divot was by accident or 2) they have complete disregard for the course and their fellow golfers. But now that you have written this there is obviously a 3rd reason. You have no clue where the club head is and you have complete disregard for the course and your fellow golfers. Please STOP taking divots with your practice swing; it's uncalled for and damages the course. I can take numerous practice swings and brush the grass. Then address the ball and take a divot. Until you can do this either don't take a practice swing or stay on the range.
    Hell...

...good golfers -- truly good golfers -- can take little thin divots when they're practicing on the range, none at all when they take practice swings and still take out a pelt when they actually play a stroke.

I do not number myself among those who can do this, BTW. I can take slightly reduced divots on the range than I take on the course. I don't have the control to take the little skims I've seen up close while caddying for pros.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

It is far better to just sit down for a while (like Hogan did) or if you need to move on, quit and come back tomorrow.

Larry
    Personally, I'm with you. I think Hulk Hogan is underrated as a golfer AND a teacher.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic
    0 pro's take diviots on practice swings. 0. Okay, maybe one ****ing idiot that's 450th in the world.

I've got a buddy who does it all the time, and while I'd rather he didn't, I know he's trying to work on striking down and through the ball better...

...so I let it slide.

What's weird is that although he's pretty good about replacing his real divot, he's less likely to collect up and replace his practice divot...

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Wow! THREE incoherent desperate posts from AB. I didn't read them, never do. Did anyone get anything useful from his rants?

Larry

Wow! THREE incoherent desperate posts from AB. I didn't read them, never do. Did anyone get anything useful from his rants?

Larry
    Yeah, you're a god damn idiot if you take divots on a practice swing.

Pass it on.

Larry
    How do you know they're incoherent if you didn't even read them?

For the record though, it wasn't a rant. It was a well thought out and well reasoned post. Your loss though.

This subject has been discussed before I suspect..........
    Only by one person Larry, and I think we both know who that person is.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

First off, I hardly take a practice swing at all because I DO take a divot whether it is a practice swing or not. BUT, I carry sand containers around with me to fill in my divots. So, everybody can kiss my ass!!

Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Another vote for the no-divot during practice swings club.

I'm just getting back to the game after 11 years away from it and the only time I ever divot during a practice swing is when I screw up my swing. After doing so, I look around feebly hoping no one was actually watching and hurriedly repair the damage. Lord knows fairway crews have a hard enough time keeping courses in good shape!
    TaylorMade Burner HT
    TaylorMade Rescue 3 & 4
    King Cobra SS 350 10.5
    Mizuno Pro GT-201 Putter

10 years away from the game cost me 20 strokes!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handicap: 32.7 | GIR: 23% | FH: 31% | Scrambling: 19% | Putts/ Hole: 1.9

Well while you weren't reading my posts, I was out playing 9 holes.

I shot 38 (par 35) and hit 3 fairways and 4 greens.

What did you score today?

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Where'd you play?
    TaylorMade Burner HT
    TaylorMade Rescue 3 & 4
    King Cobra SS 350 10.5
    Mizuno Pro GT-201 Putter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by vancitygolfer
    Where'd you play?
    McCleery.

I was just going to practice, but the night was too nice, and since it was only $22 to get in what turned out to be 11 holes...

...who could resist?

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

I hear ya. I wish I had something local and cheap. I drive about 45 minutes to golf 18 holes (par 71) for $13! It's an absolute steal. They have a 2-4-1 special on Tuesdays. It's a long haul, but it's worth it.

EDIT:

I just realized you've in vancouver. I'm going to check that place out. I head out to Tall Timber in Langley for the deal mentioned above.
    Last edited by vancitygolfer; 08-19-2010 at 11:05 PM.
    TaylorMade Burner HT
    TaylorMade Rescue 3 & 4
    King Cobra SS 350 10.5
    Mizuno Pro GT-201 Putter

What do you think?

Larry
    I think you spend WAY TOO MUCH time obsessing about golf with these long winded repetitive posts. It's just a game or hobby like table tennis, darts, and horseshoes.

Get a life!
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I hear ya. I wish I had something local and cheap. I drive about 45 minutes to golf 18 holes (par 71) for $13! It's an absolute steal. They have a 2-4-1 special on Tuesdays. It's a long haul, but it's worth it.

EDIT:

I just realized you've in vancouver. I'm going to check that place out. I head out to Tall Timber in Langley for the deal mentioned above.
    You definitely should. The Vancouver municipal courses are actually pretty nice. Langara is definitely the weak link, but Fraserview and McCleery are just good golf courses. A lot of people say that Fraserview is better than McCleery, but living in Kits, McCleery is just too convenient. You might also want to check out Riverway in Burnaby if you haven't already.

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker
    McCleery.

I was just going to practice, but the night was too nice, and since it was only $22 to get in what turned out to be 11 holes...

...who could resist?

Wow, that's cheap! That's like about $1.50 in real money isn't it?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Thanks. I've been here for 5 years, but this is my first year back golfing so this is useful info.

Coincidently, I run a little golf site and a user just added Fraserview and played a round there so I was going to check it out. I'd like to get out to the island one day, I hear there are tons of great courses there. I live downtown right now, walking distance to Stanley Park so my short game is coming along nicely. I've also played Musquem, which isn't maintained terribly well, but it's a forgiving course.
    TaylorMade Burner HT
    TaylorMade Rescue 3 & 4
    King Cobra SS 350 10.5
    Mizuno Pro GT-201 Putter

Thanks. I've been here for 5 years, but this is my first year back golfing so this is useful info.

Coincidently, I run a little golf site and a user just added Fraserview and played a round there so I was going to check it out. I'd like to get out to the island one day, I hear there are tons of great courses there. I live downtown right now, walking distance to Stanley Park so my short game is coming along nicely. I've also played Musquem, which isn't maintained terribly well, but it's a forgiving course.
    Fark. Just what we need around here, another farkin Canadian.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    I think you spend WAY TOO MUCH time obsessing about golf with these long winded repetitive posts. It's just a game or hobby like table tennis, darts, and horseshoes.

Get a life!

Says "Mr 3.27 posts per day for the business end of five years."

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Fark. Just what we need around here, another farkin Canadian.
    a little respect, eh? Some of the best golfers in history were canadians...

oh, wait. They weren't. My bad.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by lm0159
    Feces thrower gets burned.

BTW...Taking divots with your practice swing is always a bittchmove.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

3.27... pah.. a piker, a sodlaying hacker in the average post department.

uh, how do you look that up?
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    3.27... pah.. a piker, a sodlaying hacker in the average post department.

uh, how do you look that up?

Yours is:

Total Posts: 2,269 (3.43 posts per day)

No practice swings for me, but if I did, I wouldn't take any divots. A lot of choppers do though. Nothing is worse than seeing 4 huge divots in a perfect row in the fairway. Most of the time, the divots are pointing 45 degrees left. The calling card of the right-handed chopper.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    What do you think?

Larry[/QUOTE]
    Pure genius Mr Larry. Divots hurt. Early in the season, at least for me,a divot stings. Till you get some fluff in the grass, I wish I could take less of a divot. I take these beaver pelts, and alligators every now and than, actually alot. On better ballstriking days I would say my divots would make a perfect toupe. When you take a divot on chips,and pitches your getting closer grasshopper!
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Mt' Kidd, Kananaskis - Can't beat the mountain setting.
    Alan and Vancity should have a GR British Columbia Open match. Start the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    No practice swings for me, but if I did, I wouldn't take any divots. A lot of choppers do though. Nothing is worse than seeing 4 huge divots in a perfect row in the fairway. Most of the time, the divots are pointing 45 degrees left. The calling card of the right-handed chopper.
    I played my first competitive round with my new (old) Mizuno blades this past Saturday. It rained heavily Friday night and the course fairways, which are never good, featured wilted grass on the fairways mowed too close with wet hard-pack clay underneath. (Its a muni next to a watershed with the enviornmental KGB watching every minute, they can't use the necessary chemicals, what can you expect?) So I take a practice swing or two for every approach shot with a generous amorphous divot produced each time. There are not enough grass roots to form a nice beaver pelt so there's nothing worth replacing. I hit down on my iron shots even off hardpan with these clubs and take a hefty divot every time be it from fairway or rough. Half the time those shots produced so much spin that my playing competitors commented on it like they'd never heard a ball buzz off iron impact before. Gotta love that sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverologist
    Alan and Vancity should have a GR British Columbia Open match. Start the thread.
    I could get up for that...

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Yeah, you're a god damn idiot if you take divots on a practice swing.

Pass it on.
    Pass it up yours! EVERY good player takes divots with irons EVERY shot!!! They work to make a perfect divot on their practice swing and repeat that on their real swing with a ball down. EVERY good player does that. Only high handicappers fail to take divots with irons. The range expects to periodically reseed the hitting area-- because all serious golfers take divots. That is the purpose and design of iron clubs. If you don't take a correct divot, even a shallow shaved grass one, your clubhead is not traveling correctly and you are probably lagging back and decelerating. Take a lesson so you learn the game. While there, ask the teaching pro to hit a 6i off a tight grass lie. Notice where his divot lands. Look at hole where it was--and notice where the ball was when he hit it.

Larry

Pass it up yours! EVERY good player takes divots with irons EVERY shot!!!
    A practice swing is not a shot, Larry....

They work to make a perfect divot on their practice swing and repeat that on their real swing with a ball down. EVERY good player does that.
    No. Good players don't need to take divots on their practice swings. Do you ever watch golf on television?

Only high handicappers fail to take divots with irons. The range expects to periodically reseed the hitting area-- because all serious golfers take divots. That is the purpose and design of iron clubs. If you don't take a correct divot, even a shallow shaved grass one, your clubhead is not traveling correctly and you are probably lagging back and decelerating.
    Neither the club nor the ball know or care if you take a divot. The geometry of the situation just makes it more likely that you'll make good contact if you swing in a way that will also happen to make a divot, but if you can it the sweet spot of the club with swing that just brushes the grass, that will work just as well.

That having been said, there is no good reason for anyone except beginner to take a divot on any swing where a ball isn't being struck.

Take a lesson so you learn the game. While there, ask the teaching pro to hit a 6i off a tight grass lie. Notice where his divot lands. Look at hole where it was--and notice where the ball was when he hit it.
    Yes, Larry: good players know where the divot should be in relation to the ball...

...but they don't have to take divots on their practice swings...
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Webb
    How do you know they're incoherent if you didn't even read them?.
    AB's posts are always incoherent and nonsensical. I used to read them but quit after he called Manuel De La Torre's book publisher, wanting to argue with Manuel about one of his many misconceptions about "Swing the Clubhead." He also called Golf Laboratories after they did a formal "before and after" ball flight evaluation of my swing training aid. AB just couldn't stand it-- so he called them and urged them to withdraw their results. I paid $2500 for the formal evaluation, AB wanted to interfere with our business. "Business Interference" is a serious tort-- and I would have pulled him into court and cleaned him out -- but my investigation revealed that he doesn't have the proverbial pot-- or a window to throw it out of.

So folks, this isn't just a silly dispute, AB is SERIOUS about sabotaging me and anyone here who crosses him. I had to telephone his Internet and telephone service provider in Canada to stop his harassing telephone calls to my office. He has that service now ONLY because I told them to give him another chance. He has not called again. If he does he will be accessing the Internet and making phone calls over two tin cans tied together with a string.

AB is not just another golf discussion participant; he has been banned from essentially every other golf discussion forum for very good reason. Beware. Shun him and he might go away (not likely!) This is the poor unemployed and uneducated SOB's LIFE!

Larry

[QUOTE=12sandwich]What do you think?

Larry

Pure genius Mr Larry. Divots hurt. Early in the season, at least for me,a divot stings. Till you get some fluff in the grass, I wish I could take less of a divot. I take these beaver pelts, and alligators every now and than, actually alot. On better ballstriking days I would say my divots would make a perfect toupe. When you take a divot on chips,and pitches your getting closer grasshopper!
    As I said, divots, either practice of while hitting balls, are a great diagnostic tool. I have watched pros warming up--and see them create a divot line or shallow ditch of removed sod. They set each new ball on the back edge of the ditch. Eventually they will create a shallow ditch several feet long--extending toward their target. I saw Phil Mickelson exaggerating his in-to-out swing and work to make divots that point out to left field.

Make good divots and you will have a great round!

If you can't make divots that start at the ball position and extend several inche toward your target-- take some lessons! Work to learn how to turn, SHIFT, and then swing. Three distinct and separate moves. The shift can be quite leisurely. And then do the drills to ingrain the correct swing sequence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-U0WCC2Wf8

This was on a mat, but I do the same thing on grass.

Larry

AB's posts are always incoherent and nonsensical. I used to read them but quit after he called Manuel De La Torre's book publisher, wanting to argue with Manuel about one of his many misconceptions about "Swing the Clubhead." He also called Golf Laboratories after they did a formal "before and after" ball flight evaluation of my swing training aid. AB just couldn't stand it-- so he called them and urged them to withdraw their results. I paid $2500 for the formal evaluation, AB wanted to interfere with our business.
    I never called anyone's book publisher, Larry. I've spoken to only two people in my life who ever even worked in the book publishing industry. But... ...should I be talking to the publisher of "Swing Like a Pro" to ask them how they feel about you using their copyrighted material on your website? What do you think?

I did call Golf Labs to see if they were actually endorsing your product:

"Are you endorsing the RULate swing trainer? Because they're using your logo as if you do... Just thought you'd should know."

I got a nice reply from Gene Parente:

"Thanks for the email. We did conduct a test for RU Late? However we do not
    as a policy endorse any company's product."

Oddly enough, the text which made it appear they were endorsing your product disappeared almost immediately after that. Weird, huh?

So folks, this isn't just a silly dispute, AB is SERIOUS about sabotaging me and anyone here who crosses him. I had to telephone his Internet and telephone service provider in Canada to stop his harassing telephone calls to my office. He has that service now ONLY because I told them to give him another chance. He has not called again. If he does he will be accessing the Internet and making phone calls over two tin cans tied together with a string.
    Sorry, Larry, but I've never heard a single word from my ISP about these alleged calls you've made. Would you mind asking them to call me about it? Thanks, that would be great...

AB is not just another golf discussion participant; he has been banned from essentially every other golf discussion forum for very good reason. Beware. Shun him and he might go away (not likely!) This is the poor unemployed and uneducated SOB's LIFE!
    Funny... ...while you're "ignoring" my posts, I'm out shooting 3-over for 9 holes...

My scoring record

Where are your scores? Or are you too busy "ignoring" me to get out and play by the rules?

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Pass it up yours! EVERY good player takes divots with irons EVERY shot!!! They work to make a perfect divot on their practice swing and repeat that on their real swing with a ball down. EVERY good player does that. Only high handicappers fail to take divots with irons. The range expects to periodically reseed the hitting area-- because all serious golfers take divots. That is the purpose and design of iron clubs. If you don't take a correct divot, even a shallow shaved grass one, your clubhead is not traveling correctly and you are probably lagging back and decelerating. Take a lesson so you learn the game. While there, ask the teaching pro to hit a 6i off a tight grass lie. Notice where his divot lands. Look at hole where it was--and notice where the ball was when he hit it.

Larry

Show me video of the top 10 pros in the world taking divots on practice swings on the golf course.

As I said, divots, either practice of while hitting balls, are a great diagnostic tool. I have watched pros warming up--and see them create a divot line or shallow ditch of removed sod. They set each new ball on the back edge of the ditch. Eventually they will create a shallow ditch several feet long--extending toward their target. I saw Phil Mickelson exaggerating his in-to-out swing and work to make divots that point out to left field.
    And was he hitting balls? Yeah... he was. He wasn't working on his divots, Larry: he was working on his swing.

Make good divots and you will have a great round!
    Make good swings and you'll probably make divots.

If you can't make divots that start at the ball position and extend several inche toward your target-- take some lessons! Work to learn how to turn, SHIFT, and then swing. Three distinct and separate moves. The shift can be quite leisurely. And then do the drills to ingrain the correct swing sequence.

Larry
    I'm curious why you're taking a lesson off mats at the Del Mar Golf Center when you could be taking lessons on grass at your club's range: it wouldn't be because you've worn out your welcome with every pro there, would it?

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

I'm curious why you're taking a lesson off mats at the Del Mar Golf Center when you could be taking lessons on grass at your club's range: it wouldn't be because you've worn out your welcome with every pro there, would it?

A real manly player takes divots out of the rubber mats. Takes some blades with real sharp leading edges and no more than 1/2 degree of bounce and a f*ck of a strong back.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel
    A real manly player takes divots out of the rubber mats. Takes some blades with real sharp leading edges and no more than 1/2 degree of bounce and a f*ck of a strong back.
    If you want to see what's really hilarious, check this out:

Del Mar Golf Center

Looks pretty good, right? Now zoom out.

And now I must go pay for my pickup hockey group's summer golf tournament... ...later!
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

So you're calling Arjun Atwal a F***ing idiot?????
    Driver: Lookin' for one!!!!!!!
    5W: Ping i3 17*---Stiff
    3h: Adams Idea Pro Gold Tour 20*---Stiff
    4-PW: Callaway Big Bertha '06---Uniflex
    GW: Cleveland Niblick 49*
    SW: Callaway Forged 54*
    LW: Callaway Forged 60*
    Putter: MasterGrip 415 CR

If you want to see what's really hilarious, check this out:

Del Mar Golf Center

Looks pretty good, right? Now zoom out.

And now I must go pay for my pickup hockey group's summer golf tournament... ...later!
    Yeah, that's freaking wild. Looks like lots of things have changed since I moved out of San Diego in 1973. Went back once in 1975 and haven't been west of the Mississipi since. And that range has those trampoline looking satellite receiving dish type nets. I wonder if you hit one with the right angle of descent does the ball spring back to simulate hitting a cartpath? And that little Google guy that you can move. I moved that m*th*rf*ck*r onto the 5 Freeway just like the guy in LA in the '60's that made PCP famous when he stood in the middle of the I-5 up there (hosed on PCP) and punched out a Kenworth pulling a load doing 70. Naturally the KW won the bout. Isn't that range area in tidal wetlands? Think they used to be. What a shame. Beautiful stretch of coast and now too many new buildings and road and way too many new people. Arrrgggh.

If you had been on this forum a little longer you would have got the joke. Kiwi was throwing back one of Larry's often used lines regarding his attitude to the game.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Yes but if you review those 3.27 posts per day you will see that they are mostly short, precise and to the point with a rare cutting edge that you see from few of my posting contemporaries. And EVERYBODY eagerly reads my posts. Unlike the long winded repetitive waffle you get from Larry which most of us ignore.

He's like a scratched record.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Your divots are forensic evidence. The Luminal of golf! You cannot escape. A puny thin divot pointing to the inside means you lagged back and swung around your back foot. You decelerated! And you probably sliced it across two fairways unless you got the clubface closed. Mwhah, ha, ha, ha. We're on to you!

Who knows? The shadow knows-- or in some neighborhoods, "da shadow do!"

Larry

Yes but if you review those 3.27 posts per day you will see that they are mostly short, precise and to the point with a rare cutting edge that you see from few of my posting contemporaries. And EVERYBODY eagerly reads my posts. Unlike the long winded repetitive waffle you get from Larry which most of us ignore.

He's like a scratched record.
    Let's not get carried away. I'd say more like 99% of all members read your posts, except then I'd sound like another poster here who is wrong 99% of the time, boring 99% of the time and gets owned by Alan 99% of the time.
    GR lives...

Well while you weren't reading my posts, I was out playing 9 holes.

I shot 38 (par 35) and hit 3 fairways and 4 greens.

What did you score today?

Wow, I played 18 today and hit 12/14 fairways, 17/18 greens and shot 67. Looks like you need to practice

Why did you lead off with this, when there are absolutely no divots to be seen because you're practicing off mats?

Your divots are forensic evidence. The Luminal of golf! You cannot escape. A puny thin divot pointing to the inside means you lagged back and swung around your back foot. You decelerated! And you probably sliced it across two fairways unless you got the clubface closed. Mwhah, ha, ha, ha. We're on to you!

Who knows? The shadow knows-- or in some neighborhoods, "da shadow do!"
    If I want to know where my ball went...

...I look where my ball went.

But maybe that's just me...
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by collegegolfer
    Wow, I played 18 today and hit 12/14 fairways, 17/18 greens and shot 67. Looks like you need to practice
    Let's see the handicap page...
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Gee Larry, first I thought it was all about swinging centrifugally, then I thought it was all about swinging the clubhead, then I thought it was turn, post, swing that was all important. Now it's the divot that is all important. I'm confused!

Now where the f#ck am I?

[QUOTE=Larryrsf]
    Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich
    What do you think?

Larry
    That video was terrible Larry. Please, how about a video on some grass? I personally am not a fan of hitting off mats.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

[QUOTE=12sandwich]
    That video was terrible Larry. Please, how about a video on some grass? I personally am not a fan of hitting off mats.
    Yeah it's brilliant and classic Larryrsf that he is banging on about the importance of divots and demonstrating this with a video of him hitting off a crummy old mat.

Now where the f#ck am I?

[QUOTE=12sandwich]
    Good mats are ok. The mats at that facility are deep enough that you can hit down with irons and not feel the hard bottom.

A very good way to practice on mats is to use chalk to mark your target line--and a cross mark where you place the ball. Then try to strike the ball clean without taking any chalk behind it--and a few inches in front on the target line. If you can do that, you can make good divots on grass.

On mats or grass, you still must shift your butt over your front leg before you swing or you will hit it fat or top it. Ya still gotta do what Shawn Clement teaches, "turn, post, swing."

Larry

[QUOTE=Larryrsf]

Good mats are ok. The mats at that facility are deep enough that you can hit down with irons and not feel the hard bottom.
    The trouble with mats is not whether you feel the bottom or not, but rather the fact that you can hit the mat before the ball and not experience the consequence of hitting it fat.

A very good way to practice on mats is to use chalk to mark your target line--and a cross mark where you place the ball. Then try to strike the ball clean without taking any chalk behind it--and a few inches in front on the target line. If you can do that, you can make good divots on grass.
    Funny then that you don't have such marks on the mat you were using with the 6 iron...

On mats or grass, you still must shift your butt over your front leg before you swing or you will hit it fat or top it. Ya still gotta do what Shawn Clement teaches, "turn, post, swing."
    You can shift your weight backwards and still hit down and through the ball, Larry. All you need to do is adjust the ball position to where the bottom of your swing is.

I'll show you, if you're willing to pay for the lesson.
    Last edited by alangbaker; 08-21-2010 at 05:42 PM.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz1975
    Yours is:

Total Posts: 2,269 (3.43 posts per day)
    hah! that's point one six better!
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

[QUOTE=Kiwi Player]

Yeah it's brilliant and classic Larryrsf that he is banging on about the importance of divots and demonstrating this with a video of him hitting off a crummy old mat.
    If you think that's ironic, in another thread he's going on about shooting rats.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel
    The guys I play golf with 'all state' I move some real estate! When I play. I walk over, to pick my divot up to replace it, and my partners pickin up some more, in another spot. Thats with my mx 23s. With my mp 37 blades its surgical.
    Last edited by 12sandwich; 08-22-2010 at 07:19 AM.

The guys I play with, all state. I move some real estate! I walk over to pick my divot up, and my partners pickin up some more, in another spot. Thats with my 23s With my blades its surgical.
    Your bizarre sentence structure and creative use of punctuation made for a thoroughly entertaining post with just a hint of insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz1975
    Your bizarre sentence structure and creative use of punctuation made for a thoroughly entertaining post with just a hint of insane.
    Excuse me Its probabaly the meds, they got me on. I revised it a bit. Insanity doesnt seem to run in the famliy, maybe a little eccentric behavior, obcsesive, compulsive disorders etc.. Normal golfer b.s

Gee Larry, first I thought it was all about swinging centrifugally, then I thought it was all about swinging the clubhead, then I thought it was turn, post, swing that was all important. Now it's the divot that is all important. I'm confused!
    This man legally owns a gun

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

This is probably the best Larry vs. Alan thread I've read to date. Of course, I haven't read any of the ones prior to me joining 9 months ago. Practice swings with divots....you've got to love it. The one cardinal rule they teach you NOT to do when you're learning golf as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Let's not get carried away. I'd say more like 99% of all members read your posts, except then I'd sound like another poster here who is wrong 99% of the time, boring 99% of the time and gets owned by Alan 99% of the time.
    I can live with 99%. Anyway I should have explained myself better to Im0159.

Im0159, the only reason that my posting average has dropped to a paltry 3.27 per day is that when I went on vacation in June I had limited internet access for a whole month. I'm working hard to get it back to 5.5 per day.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I can live with 99%. Anyway I should have explained myself better to Im0159.

Im0159, the only reason that my posting average has dropped to a paltry 3.27 per day is that when I went on vacation in June I had limited internet access for a whole month. I'm working hard to get it back to 5.5 per day.
    U da man...

Thread Information