|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Most forgiving irons

I'm currently using a set of Orlimar HipSteel irons but I tell if, if I don't hit it dead on the sweet spot I am punished big time. Want to get a new set and was wondering everyone's opinion on the most forgiving set. Thanks.

I would recomend nike slingshot irons or callaway x-16

Cleveland TA-5's. Light, forgiving, sweet-feeling, and last year's version so they're on the cheap. I saw sets selling on ebay for like $150.
    I keeps it real.

Keep the irons and learn to hit the sweet spot.
    Please, just call me Schemp...

bdcrowe proposes some good advice, but seeing as how I won't ever get to that point because I'll give up the game in frustration (have I told anyone here that I hate golf?), I say look around for some more forgiving irons.

When I bought some new irons (also looking for a higher level of forgiveness), it really came down to the X-16's and the Taylor Made RAC OS2's. I chose the latter because I felt that they fit me personally and my game (if you can call it that) better. Also, they were a bit less expensive. With the RAC OS2's, it felt almost impossible to hit a bad shot, which is definitely saying something for me.

A friend of mine has the TA-5's, and he loves 'em, so see if you can try them out somewhere as well. Go have fun and try a bunch of different ones out and see which work best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by TLudwig
    bdcrowe proposes some good advice, but seeing as how I won't ever get to that point because I'll give up the game in frustration (have I told anyone here that I hate golf?), I say look around for some more forgiving irons.

When I bought some new irons (also looking for a higher level of forgiveness), it really came down to the X-16's and the Taylor Made RAC OS2's. I chose the latter because I felt that they fit me personally and my game (if you can call it that) better. Also, they were a bit less expensive. With the RAC OS2's, it felt almost impossible to hit a bad shot, which is definitely saying something for me.

A friend of mine has the TA-5's, and he loves 'em, so see if you can try them out somewhere as well. Go have fun and try a bunch of different ones out and see which work best for you.
    I seemed smart-a**ed, but I'm serious. My personal experiences have been that the more forgiving the clubs I get, the more nasty my swing gets. It's evil. If you are set on forgiving clubs, go with the X-16. They are quality, and forgiving.If your mistakes are generally left, go with the pro version with reduced offset. You have been warned, however. My recommendation is the gateway drill. It will cost you a nickel-- 3 tees. Put one tee about a 1/4" from toe of your club at address, one tee 1/4" from hozel of your club (matching the angle of the hozel of course), and the 3rd tee at the center of your clubface. Practice swings clipping the center tee and not touching the outer-tees. You will be amazed at how quickly to start hitting center of your clubface. Oh, and buy a weighted club to practice with.
    Please, just call me Schemp...

Quote Originally Posted by bdcrowe
    I seemed smart-a**ed, but I'm serious. My personal experiences have been that the more forgiving the clubs I get, the more nasty my swing gets. It's evil. If you are set on forgiving clubs, go with the X-16. They are quality, and forgiving.If your mistakes are generally left, go with the pro version with reduced offset. You have been warned, however. My recommendation is the gateway drill. It will cost you a nickel-- 3 tees. Put one tee about a 1/4" from toe of your club at address, one tee 1/4" from hozel of your club (matching the angle of the hozel of course), and the 3rd tee at the center of your clubface. Practice swings clipping the center tee and not touching the outer-tees. You will be amazed at how quickly to start hitting center of your clubface. Oh, and buy a weighted club to practice with.
    no, what you suggested is definitely good advice. it's like anything, the more room you have for error, the more error you'll have. when i played basketball in highschool, our coach made us take practice shots off the side edge of the backboard until we could consistently get the ball to come back straight at us. same principle.

i've never tried that gateway drill, but I'm definitely going to use that, especially when i can't get out to the range.

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice, will definitely work on the gateway drill.

Quote Originally Posted by tloops
    I'm currently using a set of Orlimar HipSteel irons but I tell if, if I don't hit it dead on the sweet spot I am punished big time. Want to get a new set and was wondering everyone's opinion on the most forgiving set. Thanks.
    Nike Slingshots...or Mizuno MX-23's

Nicklaus N1

Quote Originally Posted by tloops
    Agree with the need to learn to hit sweet spot more often. If your looking for a good club which will give good forgiveness for off centre hits and will help you get generally better hits hunt down a second hand set of Nicklaus N1 originals (not the Bear or current model with same name). The heads are the same size as forged blade with vertical muscle bars in the right places to allow some forgiveness.

I have the Mizuno MX-15 irons from last season. Awesome irons, great forgiveness. You could probably get them really cheap on ebay.

Thread Information