|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Shoulder Turn

Shoulder Turn

Recently i have revamped my backswing. I was told i was very armsy and that i should work on a one piece takeaway with my shoulders. I have been told my setup is quite good and that i should just turn my shoulders on the plane that is established by the club and my posture at address. Just thinking about turning my shoulders around my spine and lifting the club is the only swing thought i have in my backswing. Does anybody use this type of swing or familer with it? If so please help me clear some things up.

I know it sounds easy to just turn your shoulders around the spine but i cant quite figure out quite how with the different clubs. I know with the woods and longer irons my shoulder turn should be more horizontal, and with the short irons it should be more vertical. Im having a hard time getting it right b/c i dont know what right feels or looks like. Alot of times i feel like im too horizontal with my short irons but i have no way of really knowing. Everything looks get in a mirror at the top, but i dont know if im getting there the right way!!

Can somebody give me some tips on how to get my shoulder turn on plane with all the different clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by DaCroosh
    Recently i have revamped my backswing. I was told i was very armsy and that i should work on a one piece takeaway with my shoulders. I have been told my setup is quite good and that i should just turn my shoulders on the plane that is established by the club and my posture at address. Just thinking about turning my shoulders around my spine and lifting the club is the only swing thought i have in my backswing. Does anybody use this type of swing or familer with it? If so please help me clear some things up.

I know it sounds easy to just turn your shoulders around the spine but i cant quite figure out quite how with the different clubs. I know with the woods and longer irons my shoulder turn should be more horizontal, and with the short irons it should be more vertical. Im having a hard time getting it right b/c i dont know what right feels or looks like. Alot of times i feel like im too horizontal with my short irons but i have no way of really knowing. Everything looks get in a mirror at the top, but i dont know if im getting there the right way!!

Can somebody give me some tips on how to get my shoulder turn on plane with all the different clubs?
    What plane are you wanting? An upright plane? A flat plane? The general rule of thumb would be that, from hip-high to hip-high, the grip end of your club (except while the head is coming through of course) should be pointing at or inside the ball.

Jack Nicklaus goes into a LOT of detail on the proper takeaway for this swing in his book "Golf My Way".

Also, buy a weighted club and swing it.
    Please, just call me Schemp...

I want "THE" plane.

Quote Originally Posted by DaCroosh

Funny you mentioned that, because I happen to be having the same problem. What i concentrate on, is keeping the club in front of me during the backswing, turn with the club. when the club starts to move back and around, so should your shoulders, but you must turn feeling resistance, meaning turning against your hips. try to keep your bellybutton straight, while your shoulders rotate with the club, then the downswing will be automatic from the uncoiling of your shoulders, dont put anything extra into it, just uncoil, keeping your left arm straight, and THROUGH THE BALL......hope this help

Remember, it's a push, not a pull

That's the only thing I still use from Dalton McRae, who put out a swing-teaching program about 5 years ago, when I was first taking the game seriously. In the one-piece take away, your left hand (if you are a right handed golfer) pushes your club back along the plane. Once you get past about 90 degrees (depending on your flexibility) your wrists will begin to hinge. Continue to push until your left shoulder is just past the ball. That is the top of your backswing. Then comes transition and downswing. YOYO (you're on your own), as everyone has a different downswing key to use so they don't start throwing the club from the top.

For an idea of the swing plane, get 5 lessons by Ben Hogan, and discover his "pane of glass." You'll see the plane and how it changes for the different clubs.

Ass clench works

Try the Ass Clench as patented and marketed by Montagle.

There is no levity here - I have been using it for six weeks and I am hitting the ball longer, straighter and with more consistency.

First, get a good spine angle by bending at the waist, while keeping your back straight. Don't stoop. I am round shouldered and this was tough for me at first.

Then as you address the ball, tighten your lower back and inner thighs a bit. I know this sounds bizarre but once you get used to it - it works.

Then go ahead and use Your Normal Swing. The great thing about this is you don't have to change your swing and you don't have any strange body positions to remember like keep your left earlobe ahead of your big toe when you're at the 9:00 position. That stuff is so mechanical it kills me.

What this technique DOES - is create Coil. Golf Digest had a feature length article on Coil a few years ago and the role it plays in creating power. The greater the coil, the more power you get.

This technique also reduces swaying.

Give it a try. It is not a gimmick.

Thread Information