|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Percentage of the game controlled by Ego

I've often wondered how much pride and ego play a role in the game of the typical accomplished golfer. For myself, I bet it's a lot more than I think. Some of the ways that ego comes into play:
    • Standing over a drive wanting to bust it out there. Wanting to impress your playing partners. Instead of just hitting it solid and getting it in play. I think I do this on the Par 5's. The ego of getting on in two. I can't tell you the number of times I've tried to get on in two with a 3 wood when it really makes no sense.
    • Taking less club than you need. "Well, I should be able to hit an 8 iron to that pin". Ending up short of the green.

But I thought you said you didn't have an ego?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    But I thought you said you didn't have an ego?
    I have subconscious ego.

I suggest this thread be closed. It's quite boring. See, i have no ego.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I have subconscious ego.
    I think it would have to be pre-conscious

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Ego is not a dirty word!
    (you probably won't get this unless you were an aussie listening to music in the 70's)

Seriously, competitivness is part of ego and it is essential i believe to being a winning player. The trick is to control the wish to dominate and make smart decisions which impact on the outcome. Golf is all about self control, channeling emotion etc. Elite players are defined by their level of self control in how they respond to challenges, success and failure.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Ego is not a dirty word!
    (you probably won't get this unless you were an aussie listening to music in the 70's)

Seriously, competitivness is part of ego and it is essential i believe to being a winning player. The trick is to control the wish to dominate and make smart decisions which impact on the outcome. Golf is all about self control, channeling emotion etc. Elite players are defined by their level of self control in how they respond to challenges, success and failure.
    +1 I agree completely,

I think most of golf is controlled by your random swing generator and how often it kicks in along with how often you can invoke your fluke muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by indacup
    +1 I agree completely, well said
    Please, that's the kind of response other forums use.

Please, that's the kind of response other forums use.
    Some of my message was hidden....highlight behind the +1 ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Steelman
    I think most of golf is controlled by your random swing generator and how often it kicks in along with how often you can invoke your fluke muscle.
    Where exactly is the "fluke" muscle located?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelman
    Through an effort to be humorous you may have hit upon something quite profound. When do we play our best golf? We play best when we don't think about the swing. I've had rounds where I am just striping the ball at the flag and I have no idea why. This is the random swing generator. The fluke muscle is invoked when you don't think about your swing and simply go out and play.

I really think we are on to something here. When I go out for a round of golf and just go to the range and hit a few balls to warm up I always play better. I go to the first hole, take my aim and then hit it right down the middle. My fluke muscle was engaged because I wasn't thinking about anything that would cause rigidity. As a result, the random swing generator kicked in and I was on my way to a great round.
    This is pure genious. I'm serious.

Through an effort to be humorous you may have hit upon something quite profound. When do we play our best golf? We play best when we don't think about the swing. I've had rounds where I am just striping the ball at the flag and I have no idea why. This is the random swing generator. The fluke muscle is invoked when you don't think about your swing and simply go out and play.

I really think we are on to something here. When I go out for a round of golf and just go to the range and hit a few balls to warm up I always play better. I go to the first hole, take my aim and then hit it right down the middle. My fluke muscle was engaged because I wasn't thinking about anything that would cause rigidity. As a result, the random swing generator kicked in and I was on my way to a great round.
    This is pure genious. I'm serious.
    I don't I have a fluke muscle but I know that I hit better shots when I'm trying to hit the range cart than I do when I'm aiming at a target. You have to reload and hit different shots, distances etc with the same club quickly to get the most chances possible. Too bad I can't have the range cart drive back and forth in the fairway or on the green. I would be great if I could.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    I don't I have a fluke muscle but I know that I hit better shots when I'm trying to hit the range cart than I do when I'm aiming at a target. You have to reload and hit different shots, distances etc with the same club quickly to get the most chances possible. Too bad I can't have the range cart drive back and forth in the fairway or on the green. I would be great if I could.
    I've always felt that golf ranges are losing potential earnings by failing to have a gimmick like this. They should have a 3-foot pipe with a ball detection device inside about 150 yards out. All you have to do is bring your own balls, write down your name and cell phone number and then you try to get the ball into the pipe. If you do get your ball inside the pipe it feeds back to the range ball office and they give you a range card for 500 balls.

Through this method, the range gets free balls and very few winners. Most of the hacks will never come close.

Another possibility is the human target. You could pay a homeless guy $10 an hour to stand out at the 200 yard marker. To make sure he doesn't chicken out you could tie a leash around his neck to the marker. he would be allowed to wear a helmet and a jock strap with a cup. You would instantly know when you hit him from 200 yards out. You could play betting games with your friends. A knockout is 10 points, while a rolling on the ground in agony is only 5 points.

You aren't a real golfer if the little head doesn't override the big head from time to time. Real men will always pull the driver and swing out of their shoes to impress their partners. Real men will always go for the green in two on par 5s, and will always attack the flag with a club that they have to absolutely flush to get the distance. There's a reason JD, Phil, Norman and Tiger are so popular, and why Nick Faldo and Zach Johnson are so despised.
    Last edited by Not a hacker; 09-13-2010 at 03:02 PM.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I've always felt that golf ranges are losing potential earnings by failing to have a gimmick like this. They should have a 3-foot pipe with a ball detection device inside about 150 yards out. All you have to do is bring your own balls, write down your name and cell phone number and then you try to get the ball into the pipe. If you do get your ball inside the pipe it feeds back to the range ball office and they give you a range card for 500 balls.

Through this method, the range gets free balls and very few winners. Most of the hacks will never come close.

Another possibility is the human target. You could pay a homeless guy $10 an hour to stand out at the 200 yard marker. To make sure he doesn't chicken out you could tie a leash around his neck to the marker. he would be allowed to wear a helmet and a jock strap with a cup. You would instantly know when you hit him from 200 yards out. You could play betting games with your friends. A knockout is 10 points, while a rolling on the ground in agony is only 5 points.
    I'd have a better chance if he was running. Moving targets take my mind out of the equation. Not enough time to think and it becomes target and athletic ability.

I have subconscious ego.
    Subconscious? you tell all GR that U are the best ball striker there is... U lie again?

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    Subconscious? you tell all GR that U are the best ball striker there is... U lie again?
    That's not ego. I was simply introducing myself to everyone and explaining certain facts. I get nothing out of telling people that I'm a great ball striker. If anything it's led to envy and a lot of unwanted attention.

I don't have ego but I hate to lose... hahahaha

The only drawback with this is that Larryrsf would never have to pay for range balls again.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    Where exactly is the "fluke" muscle located?
    I think it is right beside the "choke" muscle which is why you can easily trigger one or the other in any given round.

Now where the f#ck am I?

You guys have it all wrong it's not about ego. Golf is about "being the ball." I'm starting to become ashamed of this forum. You should know better.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Come on guys it's mostly about ego. Whether it's about score, success competing, what your swing looks like, what clubs some of you play (not me), how far you hit it, those things are ego driven. I know for some of you it's about friends, scenery, improvement, your feelings, your shoes, etc. well, then, congratulations on your dominant feminine side.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Ego is not a dirty word!

That is why I went the the BMW this last weekend and saw Anthony Kim beat his driver onto the cart path, JB Homes go at his bag with a sand wedge, and Chalmers beat the tee box to a pulp with is driver. That's a lot of control... IMO elite players take risks and if they are truly elite, they get rewarded. Like tiger's 190yard shot out of the thick rough, with a pitching wedge. Greater the risk, more the reward and vice versa. Say you are on the green, downhill putt. that could cause the ball to run completely off. Do you putt it short and 'lay-up'? No, you go for the hole. Not saying that a guy with a 5 iron for a 150yd club should attack with a pw, but I always feel that going for the pin with the least amount of club possible is always the best option. Then again, maybe thats why I've been in a scoring slump lately.
    Golf

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Come on guys it's mostly about ego. Whether it's about score, success competing, what your swing looks like, what clubs some of you play (not me), how far you hit it, those things are ego driven. I know for some of you it's about friends, scenery, improvement, your feelings, your shoes, etc. well, then, congratulations on your dominant feminine side.
    I applaud you, I think you are starting to grow those testicles back . . . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

For some people it's even about blue jeans and saddle shoes. Not sure whether ego can be attributed to that though.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

OK, I'll admit it. I sometimes have a difficult time avoiding overswinging my driver if I am in a foursome with a younger, long hitter. I can tell myself to keep the tempo the same as usual, but it is hard not to try to get "just a little bit more" out of a swing. Of course, it's counterproductive, but tell that to my hypothalamus, adrenals, and limbic system......
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    OK, I'll admit it. I sometimes have a difficult time avoiding overswinging my driver if I am in a foursome with a younger, long hitter. I can tell myself to keep the tempo the same as usual, but it is hard not to try to get "just a little bit more" out of a swing. Of course, it's counterproductive, but tell that to my hypothalamus, adrenals, and limbic system......
    I've the same stupid issue. Try and kill it, and spray it right. During best ball events, I should leave the driver at home.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

My game is fairly ego driven. I don't mind admitting this. Sometimes I need a reality check, and I got one this past weekend.
    After the first day of our member-guest, we had a long drive contest on hole #1. Little bit into the wind, using range balls, $10 per ball, must be in the fairway. One of bag boys would stand at your ball and the pro would shoot him with a laser to get the yardage.
    301 is on the board when I get up to hit. First one in the fairway, hit pretty well, 275. I know I can hit it better. Second one crushed, missed left. I give up as it may get cost prohibitive. Next guy hits one 327. Into the wind with a range ball. Ego effectively checked.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    For some people it's even about blue jeans and saddle shoes. Not sure whether ego can be attributed to that though.
    NAH, I have listened to you lay down smack about saddle shoes for some time now. You basically label any shoe that hs another color on the side as a saddle shoe. Now, I have gone into several golf stores recently to look at shoes and I would say that half of the shoes out there fall under your decsription of a saddle shoe. If that's the case, doesn't that mean that they are in style?

NAH, I have listened to you lay down smack about saddle shoes for some time now. You basically label any shoe that hs another color on the side as a saddle shoe. Now, I have gone into several golf stores recently to look at shoes and I would say that half of the shoes out there fall under your decsription of a saddle shoe. If that's the case, doesn't that mean that they are in style?
    Which K-Mart or Costco was this? Saddle shoes looked ridiculous even when 90% of Americans wore them. If you haven't had polio and you don't need crutches forget about them.

Take it from an italilan, we were asked by the Brits to handle clothing for the winning Ryder Cup team. They almost never ask anyone for help, even when they desperately need it. I think the last time was WWII. What does that tell you?
    GR lives...

Which K-Mart or Costco was this? Saddle shoes looked ridiculous even when 90% of Americans wore them. If you haven't had polio and you don't need crutches forget about them.

Take it from an italilan, we were asked by the Brits to handle clothing for the winning Ryder Cup team. They almost never ask anyone for help, even when they desperately need it. I think the last time was WWII. What does that tell you?
    First of all, K-mart and Costco don't target the same demographic. Costco targets upper middle class and K-mart targets low income ( a group that seldom plays golf). Costco doesn't sell golf shoes.

I've attached an example of what NAH considers to be saddle shoes. That was my point.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

First of all, K-mart and Costco don't target the same demographic. Costco targets upper middle class and K-mart targets low income ( a group that seldom plays golf). Costco doesn't sell golf shoes.

I've attached an example of what NAH considers to be saddle shoes. That was my point.
    That supports my point. Upper middle class Americans are comfortable dressing like their low class brethren.

Yes, those are saddle shoes. In fact, they're 1080dpi saddle shoes.
    GR lives...

That supports my point. Upper middle class Americans are comfortable dressing like their low class brethren.

Yes, those are saddle shoes. In fact, they're 1080dpi saddle shoes.
    Thank goodness the refresher rate is 600 megapixels x hertz.

How about shoes with flaps? Those things were great at keeping your shoe laces dry. They also went great with 501 jeans.

Ok, so whats the problem with saddle golf shoes. What do I need to get to "in with the crowd".?...Not that I will....just asking.
    ... a tree branch, or my foot.

Quote Originally Posted by jetdriver
    Ok, so whats the problem with saddle golf shoes. What do I need to get to "in with the crowd".?...Not that I will....just asking.
    I have no idea what's wrong with saddle shoes. This all started when NAH made a big deal of Noshuz's attire when we had our match. I can understand giving someone a hard time about jeans and maybe the beige windbreaker but i have yet to understand the saddle shoe thing. I'd say half the golfer's I see where two toned shoes.

I'm currently addonning Footjoy Dryjoys that are pretty much all white with a little silver design thingamagig. They are very cool and look simply marvelous with tan trousers and a purple and light blue argyle.

Quote Originally Posted by jetdriver
    If you are going to wear saddle shoes, you might as well wear a short pants sailor suit and carry a balloon on a string to complete the look.

Edit: To me this only applies to the old school black and white kind. I have a pair of dryjoys that have another color on the side that I guess would be considered saddles by GR standards.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    If you are going to wear saddle shoes, you might as well wear a short pants sailor suit and carry a balloon on a string to complete the look.
    Thanks, you just gave me an idea for my upcoming Holloween party. I'm still waiting for shoe flaps to come back. Maybe I'll go to Goodwill and find a few pairs to start the trend. People will say "you know, I never liked these until I saw FamousDavis wearing them. He's the best ballstriker you know". "He's popular with them all...sportos, dweebs, dorks, geeks, slobs, motorheads...they all think he's a righteous dude".

I have no idea what's wrong with saddle shoes. This all started when NAH made a big deal of Noshuz's attire when we had our match. I can understand giving someone a hard time about jeans and maybe the beige windbreaker but i have yet to understand the saddle shoe thing. I'd say half the golfer's I see where two toned shoes.

I'm currently addonning Footjoy Dryjoys that are pretty much all white with a little silver design thingamagig. They are very cool and look simply marvelous with tan trousers and a purple and light blue argyle.
    What is funny about it is his choice of shoes are golf sport shoes. Like the Adidas Power Band golf shoe in orange and blue. WTF? How can you bag on someone about saddle shoe when your choice is orange and blue running style golf shoes.

Here's the thread if you care.
    http://forums.golfreview.com/showthr...highlight=shoe

If you'd been on the forum a little longer you'd understand that once NAH finds something to flame about he is like a scratched record (no not a scratch wedge), or a terrier that sinks it's teeth in and just won't let go no matter what. His pet flaming topic used to be cast, oversize POS cavity back shovels but he had to drop that subject when he started bagging first Wilson Fat Shaft cast, oversize POS cavity back shovels, and more recently Powerbilt TPS 6.0 cast, oversize POS cavity back shovels.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Thank goodness the refresher rate is 600 megapixels x hertz.

How about shoes with flaps? Those things were great at keeping your shoe laces dry. They also went great with 501 jeans.
    Sure. Retro's cool.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    Yes. It's not a question of fashionable. It's a matter of looking ridiculous. Even when they were the rage, saddle shoes just always looked ridiculous.

I can't expect someone with no sense of what looks good to care, and that's fine. Just make sure you wear the sailor's outfit too. Bonus point for a sign on your back that says "Hey fellas, $5" with an arrow pointing downward.
    GR lives...

Yes. It's not a question of fashionable. It's a matter of looking ridiculous. Even when they were the rage, saddle shoes just always looked ridiculous.

I can't expect someone with no sense of what looks good to care, and that's fine. Just make sure you wear the sailor's outfit too. Bonus point for a sign on your back that says "Hey fellas, $5" with an arrow pointing downward.
    An interesting phenomenon that I've noticed lately is the untucked shirt. I just moved to San Diego so I've been going out as a single. I use Golfnow which is the best thing since sliced bread. With Golfnow you don't have to get on a waiting list. Plus, if you find a time that requests 1 or 2 players you know that you won't be the only single. Anyway, has anyone else noticed the untucked shirt trend? I've always tucked in my shirt but maybe I should change my tune. Opinions?

An interesting phenomenon that I've noticed lately is the untucked shirt. I just moved to San Diego so I've been going out as a single. I use Golfnow which is the best thing since sliced bread. With Golfnow you don't have to get on a waiting list. Plus, if you find a time that requests 1 or 2 players you know that you won't be the only single. Anyway, has anyone else noticed the untucked shirt trend? I've always tucked in my shirt but maybe I should change my tune. Opinions?
    Untucked shirts are getting pretty common in Oz, mainly because beer drinking is such a huge pass time and most guys are too fat to be able to tuck in their shirt. But amongst the fashionistas untucked is not big, most of the younger low caps wear long slacks and tuck in. Personally, I think untucked can be puled off as long as it's a shirt that is designed to be untucked, like tight fit style shirts, and is worn with shorts (preferably cargo) and ankle socks. It goes without saying that saddle shoes are not to be worn with this or any other ensemble unless you enjoy looking like a dikhead.

As for the saddle shoes flaming, as much as I would like to, I can't take credit for the GR angst towards them. The lack of love for saddle shoes preceeds my flames, my earliest recollection would be HB and BJ dissing them. I was just happy to learn that style and taste are upheld on this forum, and that poor form is brought to account. If you want any further evidence of how dorky and faggy they are, I've noticed that Zach Johnson and Davis Love are big saddle shoes wearers.

P.S. Poe, athletic shoes like the Adidas Powerband are legit cool if worn with shorts and ankle socks, like I do. If you tried them you'd never go back to saddle shoes again.
    Last edited by Not a hacker; 09-14-2010 at 06:08 PM.

Now that you're living in So. Cal., get used to it. Probably started as a beach thing. Today, even private clubs are ok with it -- except on the course. I don't think it hides a belly -- you can still tell.

It's not one of my hot buttons -- depending upon the clothes. But if you want in on 20 or 30 something poon down here, don't tuck it in -- or wear saddle shoes -- or white sox.
    GR lives...

Now that you're living in So. Cal., get used to it. Probably started as a beach thing. Today, even private clubs are ok with it -- except on the course. I don't think it hides a belly -- you can still tell.

It's not one of my hot buttons -- depending upon the clothes. But if you want in on 20 or 30 something poon down here, don't tuck it in -- or wear saddle shoes -- or white sox.
    Yep. Tucked in on the course, untucked when pursuing poon. Two of those three are true in my case.
    I've been trending towards the ridiculous on the golf course. It started as a joke, but it's gradually become the norm. Yes, I have a white belt.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Yep. Tucked in on the course, untucked when pursuing poon. Two of those three are true in my case.
    I've been trending towards the ridiculous on the golf course. It started as a joke, but it's gradually become the norm. Yes, I have a white belt.
    If you're really good at it, your kids might think you're cool when they're teens. It's a longshot but it is possible.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    This a very dangerous path to tread. If you are playing good you can pretty much carry off anything (except blue jeans and saddle shoes), but if you shoot over 80 dressed like that you will look like a fool.

Personally I'm just not good enough to wear that sort of stuff and get away with it. I prefer middle of the road smart casual: polo shirt (tucked in and buttoned at second button, top button is for poserrs) dress shorts (cargo optional) with black belt, Powerband shoes with ankle socks, and a non chopper brand cap (I have 2 Clevelands, 1 Ben Hogan, 1 Cobra, 1 Srixon but certainly no Ping or Callaway caps. Visors are completely out). If I play in a big event during the colder months I also have a pair of white and grey semi plaid pants and white dress shoes.
    Last edited by Not a hacker; 09-14-2010 at 06:18 PM.

" I just moved to San Diego so I've been going out as a single. I use Golfnow which is the best thing since sliced bread. With Golfnow you don't have to get on a waiting list."

Have you tried Golfhub? No booking fees, better reward system, same courses for the most part where I live, minus the more expensive resort courses. Don't know about the waiting list though.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    This a very dangerous path to tread. If you are playing good you can pretty much carry off anything (except blue jeans and saddle shoes), but if you shoot over 80 dressed like that you will look like a fool.

Personally I'm just not good enough to wear that sort of stuff and get away with it. I prefer middle of the road smart casual: polo shirt (tucked in and buttoned at second button, top button is for poserrs) dress shorts (cargo optional) with black belt, Powerband shoes with ankle socks, and a non chopper brand cap (I have 2 Clevelands, 1 Ben Hogan, 1 Cobra, 1 Srixon but certainly no Ping or Callaway caps. Visors are completely out). If I play in a big event during the colder months I also have a pair of white and grey semi plaid pants and white dress shoes.
    I have to agree with this. There is something very silly about a guy wearing addidas pants, shirt and shoes along with the white belt that has the big buckle and three horizontal stripes. I know a really cool guy that dresses like this along with his all Taylormade bag and clubs. The problem is that he doesn't play well and it makes him look like a wannabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    " I just moved to San Diego so I've been going out as a single. I use Golfnow which is the best thing since sliced bread. With Golfnow you don't have to get on a waiting list."

Have you tried Golfhub? No booking fees, better reward system, same courses for the most part where I live, minus the more expensive resort courses. Don't know about the waiting list though.
    SD has it's share of dog tracks, but it also has Maderas and Torrey Pines. If you haven't hung around the TP clubhouse yet, waiting to get out as a single, you might want to give that a try.
    GR lives...

Yeah that's where GH lacks a little. Golfnow can get you onto some really nice courses, I'm sure due to its tie in with The Golf Channel.

Comparing equals though, 30 bucks for the same dog track on each site, GolfNow's gonna hit you with a booking fee making that now 35. They have to pay for Rich Lerner somehow

Thread Information