|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

My official take on shovels.

As you may have noted if you have been reading Kiwi, Sooner BS, FD, Zo and HB's posts, I have become a shovel player. I have had plenty of pot shots in the blade v shovel war, but so far I haven't given a definitive view on the subject as I didn't want to comment until I had got them adjusted to fit me correctly, which I finally got around to doing a coule weeks ago. After a coule of rounds settling in and some rangesessions, it finally came together for pretty much a full round today so I can make an informed assessment.

Pros: Distance, feel, consistency, forgiveness. I was swinging really well today, with most irons coming flush out of the sweet spot, resulting in towering draws that were long (5 irons were flying about 175 metres) and a couple of 3 irons which flew about 195 metres. The feel was extremely solid, not quite as pure as flushed shots from the old GFF Pro IIs but still felt like butter. I was hitting them consistently long and straight, which I put down to a larger sweetspot than blades. But even on the ones which weren't flush I still got reasonable results, very forgiving but still gave good feedback at the sanme time. As I have stated, and which has been flamed down by the previously mentioned posters, my clubs are a players CB with low off set and medium sized heads with thinnish top lines with square toes. This probably accounts for the feel and performanceof these clubs, I've hit full on SGI paddles in the past and these are more solid than other shovels.

Cons: Workability and precision. Despite everything I've detailed in the pros, there is no doubt that these clubs are a bit lacking in workability compared to the GFF and other blades I've hit in the past. A couple of times today I got some bad bounces that blocked out my approach shots and I have to say these clubs didn't allow me to work the ball sideways as much as I would have liked. Both times I was trying to hit cuts but they went pretty much straight. When I'm swinging well I do hit natural draws, but in the past with blades I could move the ball a lot further sideways than I did today.

Conclusion: The Powerbilt TPS 6.0 shovels are a great all round club for me. IMO they feel as solid and get as good a ball flight as a players CB or blade, and are more consistent and more forgiving. But as allways there is a trade off, and these aren't quite as precise or workable as forged players CBs or blades. If were a pro or a low handicap player with plenty of talent and lenty of time to practice and hone a swing, these are probably not what I would be looking at, but for any good ball strikers over a 5 cap who don't get time to practice these are excellent sticks. In all honesty, at the point I am in life in regards to time to practice and play, I wouldn't swap these for any other club.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

In all honesty, at the point I am in life in regards to time to practice and play, I wouldn't swap these for any other club.
    So if someone offered you a trade for some mp67's, you would turn them down?

I don't think we have Power Bilt in America, but it kind of looks like a brand you might find in Walmart or Target.

At this point in your life NAH, its time to man up and own 2 sets of irons. Someone as conflicted as you should definitely own both blades and shovels.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist

I don't think we have Power Bilt in America, but it kind of looks like a brand you might find in Walmart or Target.

At this point in your life NAH, its time to man up and own 2 sets of irons. Someone as conflicted as you should definitely own both blades and shovels.
    It was pretty obviously presented but I'll take the bait. First of all it's an unfair comparison as any club would look cheap and nasty next to the MP 67. Secondly, my Powerbilts were made in the USA, and Powerbilt were still making golf clubs in their Louisville factory long after Titleist, Cally and TM had moved their manufacturing off shore to chinese sweat shops. And as for your hypothetical, it's a rdiculous notion as nobody in their right mind would offer such a trade. I'll answer with this hypothetical: If my life depended on me shooting my handicap, and those two clubs were offered for the round, I'd take the Powerbilt.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Hell, he answered that back in the Spring whenever he turned down a set of MP-33s for free.

NaH, I'd be willing to bet you $100 that if you purchased a set of MP-67s and played them for 3 months, you would find them every bit as forgiving as your current shovels. I found very little difference in forgiveness between the PING Eye 2s and the MP-67s. The plus side was that the MP-67s have better workability and they don't make you want to throw up whenever you look at them.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Hell, he answered that back in the Spring whenever he turned down a set of MP-33s for free.

NaH, I'd be willing to bet you $100 that if you purchased a set of MP-67s and played them for 3 months, you would find them every bit as forgiving as your current shovels. I found very little difference in forgiveness between the PING Eye 2s and the MP-67s. The plus side was that the MP-67s have better workability and they don't make you want to throw up whenever you look at them.
    If the MP-67 or any other blade was as forgiving as a cavity back then just about everyone would be playing with them because they clearly look better. However, if you step out of fantasyland for just a few seconds and look at tests that have been done you will see that blades are quite a bit less forgiving than cavity backs. It's been proven by testing and it's not by mistake that PGA tour pros are playing cavity backs for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    If the MP-67 or any other blade was as forgiving as a cavity back then just about everyone would be playing with them because they clearly look better. However, if you step out of fantasyland for just a few seconds and look at tests that have been done you will see that blades are quite a bit less forgiving than cavity backs. It's been proven by testing and it's not by mistake that PGA tour pros are playing cavity backs for the same reason.
    +1

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

You know everyday I see NAH's posts, I read NAH's posts but you know what? I miss him.

NAH, while you're banging on about how great Powerbilt are you might as well make your emasculation complete and add a couple of Powerbilt hybrids to go with your new golf skirt.

RIP NAH.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    You know everyday I see NAH's posts, I read NAH's posts but you know what? I miss him.

NAH, while you're banging on about how great Powerbilt are you might as well make your emasculation complete and add a couple of Powerbilt hybrids to go with your new golf skirt.

RIP NAH.
    I have to say I'm kind of surprised that NAH would play irons that look like that. Those are just horribly cheap looking. Like something you'd find at a Kmart going out of business sale. I saw some of the Powerbuilt stuff at the annual demo day extravaganza a couple years back. They had some driver that was filled with some kind of gas mixture like nitrogine. Here's a photo of some of their amazing products.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I have to say I'm kind of surprised that NAH would play irons that look like that. Those are just horribly cheap looking. Like something you'd find at a Kmart going out of business sale. I saw some of the Powerbuilt stuff at the annual demo day extravaganza a couple years back. They had some driver that was filled with some kind of gas mixture like nitrogine. Here's a photo of some of their amazing products.
    Hey don't knock Powerbilt.

I bought my wife a Full Set of them!
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    +1

Edgey

it's not by mistake that PGA tour pros are playing cavity backs
    I don't think pro's care what they are playing. They play whatever they are paid most to play. Its the 100 yards an in game, and the ability to stay mentally focused throughout a round that has the most significant effect on a pro's scoring....and driving distance of course, the player who has the shortest approach shots has a big advantage. That being said, all of the great players have played blades.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

I can't speak for Iron Byron, but I can speak for my own game. NaH, being a human being, may find my sort of testing similar to his.

It is a well known fact that Mizuno does not put much money into professional sponsorship of their golf clubs. Mainly because they do not have to. That is why you do not see a bunch of tour players playing the MP-67s. Tour professionals can play any clubs you set before them. So, they choose to play the clubs that will bring them the most sponsorship money.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

I don't think pro's care what they are playing. They play whatever they are paid most to play. Its the 100 yards an in game, and the ability to stay mentally focused throughout a round that has the most significant effect on a pro's scoring....and driving distance of course, the player who has the shortest approach shots has a big advantage. That being said, all of the great players have played blades.
    Mark Calcavechia has never played blades. Neither has Lee Westwood.

Mark Calcavechia has never played blades. Neither has Lee Westwood.
    Neither has Rocco Mediate, Monty or Kenny Perry. What's your point?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS

I have a sneaking suspicion you are probably pretty close to the truth Sooner, but only when I'm swinging it well. I have a feeling that if I still had the Pro IIs I would be hitting them great right now, but that's because I'm swinging it great right now. When you are hitting the middle of the clubface every iron is forgiving, but CBs are definitely a better option when your swing is off, and as we all know it's impossible to predict when your swing will leave you on the golf course mid round.

Powerbilt was sold along side the expensive stuff in specialized golf shops in the mid 90's. I remember, I bought some of the TPS line because I didn't feel like smoking the pipe that Taylor, Titliest, and Callaway were making at that time. Several players and instructors liked the feel of the TPS line and considered them excellent given the price. If you were buying Powerbilt in 1995 you were a smart mid-cap getting solid clubs with plenty of money left over for more important things like beer...
    Titleist 909D2 9.5, Motore F1 (s)
    Callaway Diablo Edge 3W, E370 (s)
    Ping i5 2-PW, CS Lite (s)
    Callaway X-Tour 54,60
    Ping G5i B60

Quote Originally Posted by CPS
    Powerbilt was sold along side the expensive stuff in specialized golf shops in the mid 90's. I remember, I bought some of the TPS line because I didn't feel like smoking the pipe that Taylor, Titliest, and Callaway were making at that time. Several players and instructors liked the feel of the TPS line and considered them excellent given the price. If you were buying Powerbilt in 1995 you were a smart mid-cap getting solid clubs with plenty of money left over for more important things like beer...
    you should have seen powerbilt in 1978... beautiful, edgy sort of blades, right up there with Hogan and Wilson as the pro choice in blades..
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

About time Powerbilt started getting some props around here. The are a legit quality product with more majors (irons) to their name than Ping.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    About time Powerbilt started getting some props around here. The are a legit quality product with more majors (irons) to their name than Ping.
    Hacker would you just stand up like a man and say yeah " I play Walmart Power Bilts, my game has improved and I'am loud and proud like I was at the gay pride march". You could become a world wide spokeman for manly men who are in denial about there feminine GI side.
    Hell even I play mizuno blades now. I'am a f ing Sooner want a be althought I haven't bought the mizuno mp 100,033 blades yet.
    GHD
    Last edited by groundhogday; 10-01-2010 at 10:52 PM.
    Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
    Sun Tzu

"There is an old saying: If a man comes home with sand in his cuffs and cockleburs in his pants, don't ask him what he shot."
    Sam Snead

Taylor Made R9 TP
    Cleveland CG-10 52 &56
    Taylormade v-steel copy 3 & 5 wood
    Tiger Shark 18* hybrid
    Tayormade 2007 Burner 10.5 Driver
    odyssey #9 white hot
    gamer topflite
    Dewars scotch whiskey

Thread Information