|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

GPS, Rangefinders, iPhone Apps, Enough!!!

This is a message to all of you morons out there who spend a ridiculous amount of time looking and talking at your skycaddies or the newest application for your iPhone that determines yardage. Keep it to yourself you geeks!!

I played a course yesterday that provides an 18-inch screen GPS system right inside the cart. My fellow cart rider was a very nice guy and we got along great. The other two guys that joined us were the typical hackers that have all the fancy equipment and can't play for shite. Of course, they also had their stupid iPhones with an application that provides yardage. They both played the white tees and I was playing the black tees which meant that I would tee off first and then we'd drive up 50 yards to their tee.

On every single one of my tee shots, this one guy would take his iphone out and start giving me the yardages to every bunker and letting me know where I shouldn't hit it. Of course, all of these yardages were also right there on the GPS system in the cart. Every single time his yardages were different than what the cart showed. He would also correct himself several times and say "oh wait, that's not correct, I gave you the yardage for the wrong bunker".

Finally, on the 8th hole, I told the guy in the nicest way I could that if I wanted him to provide yardage I would ask him. I further went on to say that I had the GPS system in the cart and was just fine with that. Of course, my assertiveness hurt his feelings and he became very quiet and acted like his day was ruined. Boo friggin Hoo!!

First of all, half of the times he gave me yardage it differed from the GPS in the cart. Many times he gave me yardage that I could tell was wrong just from looking at the friggin' hole. One time he told me a lake was 180 yards out and it turned out to be 250. Further, I don't need people to tell me where I shouldn't hit it. That's negative.

So, please, if you have a GPS device feel free to let everyone know it before the round begins. If they don't say anything when you reveal your prised posession it probably means that they don't give a shite or that they can figure out yardage on their own.

I'll say it again that I believe GPS devices are a complete waste. Rangefinders are the way to go but who wants to risk leaving a $400 device on the tee?

FD

So is my Bushnell 1600 OK?

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    FD

So is my Bushnell 1600 OK?

Edgey
    Of course. Rangefinders are a logical piece of equipment to have on the course. You point at the flag and then get an absolute distance. Rangefinders make you guess where the flag is on the green and are often incorrect.

Also, I believe that it's possible to have too much information when deciding how to play a hole. Actually, I don't care what device you use just keep it to yourself. Don't assume all of your playing partners want to hear about the yardage to every trap and hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    This is a message to all of you morons out there who spend a ridiculous amount of time looking and talking at your skycaddies or the newest application for your iPhone that determines yardage. Keep it to yourself you geeks!!

I played a course yesterday that provides an 18-inch screen GPS system right inside the cart. My fellow cart rider was a very nice guy and we got along great. The other two guys that joined us were the typical hackers that have all the fancy equipment and can't play for shite. Of course, they also had their stupid iPhones with an application that provides yardage. They both played the white tees and I was playing the black tees which meant that I would tee off first and then we'd drive up 50 yards to their tee.

On every single one of my tee shots, this one guy would take his iphone out and start giving me the yardages to every bunker and letting me know where I shouldn't hit it. Of course, all of these yardages were also right there on the GPS system in the cart. Every single time his yardages were different than what the cart showed. He would also correct himself several times and say "oh wait, that's not correct, I gave you the yardage for the wrong bunker".

Finally, on the 8th hole, I told the guy in the nicest way I could that if I wanted him to provide yardage I would ask him. I further went on to say that I had the GPS system in the cart and was just fine with that. Of course, my assertiveness hurt his feelings and he became very quiet and acted like his day was ruined. Boo friggin Hoo!!

First of all, half of the times he gave me yardage it differed from the GPS in the cart. Many times he gave me yardage that I could tell was wrong just from looking at the friggin' hole. One time he told me a lake was 180 yards out and it turned out to be 250. Further, I don't need people to tell me where I shouldn't hit it. That's negative.

So, please, if you have a GPS device feel free to let everyone know it before the round begins. If they don't say anything when you reveal your prised posession it probably means that they don't give a shite or that they can figure out yardage on their own.

I'll say it again that I believe GPS devices are a complete waste. Rangefinders are the way to go but who wants to risk leaving a $400 device on the tee?
    Agree on principal. Cant stand folks who bark out all kinds of stuff and want to share it with you each and every shot. Enough!
    But I do carry a small GPS, iGolfNeo or something like that. I keep it in my cart and to myself. If a playing partner wants to know yardage I tell them, otherwise I dont say anything.

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    I find on courses you play often, there only useful on a final approach shot. I play the black at Mystic Hills, actually yesterday. They had a amateur tournament yesterday. By the way, what's the yardage to the middle of the green?
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Famous this has been a pet subject of mine for some time. Obviously the guy playing with you was an annoying DB. You'd think once he knew you had GPS in the cart he would STFU. However over time my attitude to the GPS applications has mellowed somewhat because the few guys I play with that use them just take a quick glance at them and then setup for the shot. The Rangefinders do my head in though. Every time I look around to see what the other guy is doing and he's staring into this ridiculous contraption. Even on the tee box where you know the yardage!

The guys using rangefinders remind me of the idiots you see on vacation who spend their whole vacation videoing everything and forget to actually enjoy the place they're visiting. Their home videos must be the most boring movies imaginable.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

It takes less than 2 seconds to look at a GPS device and get f/c/b numbers. It takes 2-3 seconds to zap a flag with a laser rangefinder and get the distance to the pin. Anyone taking more than a few seconds to do both is really just a hack.

Btw, you'd be surprised how quickly you are to not leave it on the tee. I use mine either from the cart alongside the teebox or I'll get the number, walk to the cart and toss it in the back while I grab a club. It never takes more than just a few seconds, which is roughly how long it should take a person to figure it out if they had nothing and weren't playing in a tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Famous this has been a pet subject of mine for some time. Obviously the guy playing with you was an annoying DB. You'd think once he knew you had GPS in the cart he would STFU. However over time my attitude to the GPS applications has mellowed somewhat because the few guys I play with that use them just take a quick glance at them and then setup for the shot. The Rangefinders do my head in though. Every time I look around to see what the other guy is doing and he's staring into this ridiculous contraption. Even on the tee box where you know the yardage!

The guys using rangefinders remind me of the idiots you see on vacation who spend their whole vacation videoing everything and forget to actually enjoy the place they're visiting. Their home videos must be the most boring movies imaginable.
    I can't agree more on the home video thing. You go to concerts and everyone is holding up their cell phone to take a photo or videotape it. All the while forgetting to watch the concert and enjoy it in the moment. I bet most people never get around to actually watching the videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    It takes less than 2 seconds to look at a GPS device and get f/c/b numbers. It takes 2-3 seconds to zap a flag with a laser rangefinder and get the distance to the pin. Anyone taking more than a few seconds to do both is really just a hack.

Btw, you'd be surprised how quickly you are to not leave it on the tee. I use mine either from the cart alongside the teebox or I'll get the number, walk to the cart and toss it in the back while I grab a club. It never takes more than just a few seconds, which is roughly how long it should take a person to figure it out if they had nothing and weren't playing in a tournament.
    I walk up to the box or my ball. Pull the range finder out of my bag pocket right next to my left hip, shot the distance, put it away and then set the bag down. I don't get how I would lose it. But then I don't lose stuff. Keys, sunglasses, etc. aren't lost. So if you lose stuff you probably shouldn't own anything smaller than a small child.

Mt' Kidd, Kananaskis - Can't beat the mountain setting.
    I use a bushnell V2 and love it. I'm generally a quick player as far as getting to my ball, setting up on the tee, etc. I have the distance read while I'm waiting for the others to hit. No one ever waits for me to get a reading.

I never, ever offer a distance. I don't even offer when I know they are fishing for a yardage but just won't come out and ask. I will tell them if they directly ask though. But so often I get guys talking to themselves out loud figuring out the distance and I know they are just waiting for me to tell them.

I won't mind telling them but I probably come off as somewhat grumpy and crotchety and seem unapproachable . If I walk on with a group I introduce myself and spout off an occasional "Nice Shot" if warranted, but as far as initiating small talk and conversation, I don't. I play my game, go directly to my own ball and wait to play.

I've met plenty of nice people, but generally the big yappers are hacks and I could care less about being to social. Just go hit your damn ball and quit looking 20 min for your pinnacle gold #3.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverologist
    Just go hit your damn ball and quit looking 20 min for your pinnacle gold #3.
    You should have said Top Flight. A soft Pinnacle Gold is 75% the ball the ProV1 is. And yet we (myself included) pay 300% more for a ball that is only 25% better. Brilliant marketing and mass manipulation...
    Titleist 909D2 9.5, Motore F1 (s)
    Callaway Diablo Edge 3W, E370 (s)
    Ping i5 2-PW, CS Lite (s)
    Callaway X-Tour 54,60
    Ping G5i B60

Quote Originally Posted by CPS
    You should have said Top Flight. A soft Pinnacle Gold is 75% the ball the ProV1 is. And yet we (myself included) pay 300% more for a ball that is only 25% better. Brilliant marketing and mass manipulation...
    This brings up a good point. Are softer, high-spinning performance balls more expensive to produce than a cheap Top Flight? Or, is it the high cost of R&D that creates the high price for a ball such as the Pro V1?

It's a competitive market so I would think that one of the competitors would come out with a cheap ball that could compete with the Pro V1 if they could.

CPS comment, however, is pretty lame. Just because 75% of the pinnacle is the same doesn't equate to the Pro V1 only being 25% better. Sorry, pal, that's not how math and science work.

Just because 75% of the pinnacle is the same doesn't equate to the Pro V1 only being 25% better. Sorry, pal, that's not how math and science work.
    I will admit a mistake and apologize to my fellow GR scholars.

Is it 33% then? I actually could use a math refresher since I haven't needed it since high school (except for GR apparently).

And, pal, some would say math has little to do with actual science... "Information is not knowledge." - Albert Einstein
    Callaway X-Tour 54,60
    Ping G5i B60

Just because 75% of the pinnacle is the same doesn't equate to the Pro V1 only being 25% better. Sorry, pal, that's not how math and science work.
    What does 75% the same even mean? I guess Mizuno blades and Maxfli Fires are 99% the same since they are both made of steel.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    What does 75% the same even mean? I guess Mizuno blades and Maxfli Fires are 99% the same since they are both made of steel.
    Assuming someone does decide to play blades, unless you had money to burn why would you ever buy a brand new set? How can the MP-68 be any better than the MP-14? Other than loft, I can't think of anything. MP-14s came standard with Dynamic Gold shafts and so does the MP-68.

I might just decide to play blades for the next 3 months so that I can make an honest appraisal of them.

Assuming someone does decide to play blades, unless you had money to burn why would you ever buy a brand new set? How can the MP-68 be any better than the MP-14? Other than loft, I can't think of anything. MP-14s came standard with Dynamic Gold shafts and so does the MP-68.

I might just decide to play blades for the next 3 months so that I can make an honest appraisal of them.
    Wearing the grooves out. The MP-67 may be better than the MP-14, but definitely equal to. I didn't like the MP-68's though. I thought the 67's felt and performed better.

My thoughts about range finders are well documented on GR. I don't understand why every Timmy and Tammy Hacker feels the need to peer through their chopper binoculars to get an exact for the 30 yard chunk they will inevitably hit. Just by approximating the yardage to the middle by looking at the 150 or 200 markers, I'm always within a couple yards. No geeky techno crutch needed. Don't Skycaddies come with a free set of iron covers and a chipper?
    I liken it to the 12 handicapper who spends hundreds of dollars on an exotic aftermarket shaft. It's your money, but what's the point? You aren't good enough to gain any real benefit, and you aren't good enough to care whether you've got 120 or 122 to the front of the green.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    My thoughts about range finders are well documented on GR. I don't understand why every Timmy and Tammy Hacker feels the need to peer through their chopper binoculars to get an exact for the 30 yard chunk they will inevitably hit. Just by approximating the yardage to the middle by looking at the 150 or 200 markers, I'm always within a couple yards. No geeky techno crutch needed. Don't Skycaddies come with a free set of iron covers and a chipper?
    I liken it to the 12 handicapper who spends hundreds of dollars on an exotic aftermarket shaft. It's your money, but what's the point? You aren't good enough to gain any real benefit, and you aren't good enough to care whether you've got 120 or 122 to the front of the green.
    I agree with the first half of this post. I am the sort of golfer who can't like any decent player get comfortable to hit a shot without having some idea of yardages, but I find the 150 and 200 markers to be more than adequate. I just want to make sure I don't airmail the green or land short by under or over clubbing, I'm not good enough to know how much to take off an 8 iron to get the 147.5 to the pin.

As for the second part, I don't necessarily think a chopper should spend a bomb on an exortic shaft, but I think everybody can benefit from an aftermarket shaft. I don't spend heaps on shafts (I go for middle of the road Aldila, UST, Graffaloy and GD), but I can categorically confirm that every driver I've ever bought has given me noticably improved performance from aftermarket shafts.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    I agree with the first half of this post. I am the sort of golfer who can't like any decent player get comfortable to hit a shot without having some idea of yardages, but I find the 150 and 200 markers to be more than adequate. I just want to make sure I don't airmail the green or land short by under or over clubbing, I'm not good enough to know how much to take off an 8 iron to get the 147.5 to the pin.

As for the second part, I don't necessarily think a chopper should spend a bomb on an exortic shaft, but I think everybody can benefit from an aftermarket shaft. I don't spend heaps on shafts (I go for middle of the road Aldila, UST, Graffaloy and GD), but I can categorically confirm that every driver I've ever bought has given me noticably improved performance from aftermarket shafts.
    The placebo effect is a very strong and real phenomenon. I prefer to not self-delude. It's like the beer snob who scoffs at anything mass produced. Put a Fosters in a glass, tell him it's a new microbrew from a remote village in Ireland, and 9 out of 10 will think it's great.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

The placebo effect is a very strong and real phenomenon. I prefer to not self-delude. It's like the beer snob who scoffs at anything mass produced. Put a Fosters in a glass, tell him it's a new microbrew from a remote village in Ireland, and 9 out of 10 will think it's great.
    Some time ago In NYC there was a panel of self-proclaimed vodka experts put to a blind taste test of their expertise. Many failed horribly. They nailed a guy who claimed to be an expert on Absolut... he was actually drinking Popov (the plastic bottle stuff).
    Callaway X-Tour 54,60
    Ping G5i B60

Quote Originally Posted by CPS
    Some time ago In NYC there was a panel of self-proclaimed vodka experts put to a blind taste test of their expertise. Many failed horribly. They nailed a guy who claimed to be an expert on Absolut... he was actually drinking Popov (the plastic bottle stuff).
    I guarantee that so called expert had a $300 golf shaft and a Skycaddie.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker

The two guys I played with last Sunday were both high 90's shooters and one had all Callaway and the other all Taylormade. The one guy had the new Taylormade Superdeep driver with a Fubuki shaft. He handed it to me to look at and it was stiff as a board. There is now way in hell this guy should be hitting that club.

It's kind of amazing when you look at the shafts some people use. I remember several years back when a lot of people were using the Graffaloy ProLite shaft (the red one). That thing was super stiff. I saw so many average golfers alter their swings in an effort to hit it.

The two guys I played with last Sunday were both high 90's shooters and one had all Callaway and the other all Taylormade. The one guy had the new Taylormade Superdeep driver with a Fubuki shaft. He handed it to me to look at and it was stiff as a board. There is now way in hell this guy should be hitting that club.

It's kind of amazing when you look at the shafts some people use. I remember several years back when a lot of people were using the Graffaloy ProLite shaft (the red one). That thing was super stiff. I saw so many average golfers alter their swings in an effort to hit it.
    A buddy of mine had that shaft in a Ping G10 last year. I had a couple of hits with it, didn't really nail it but the ball went further than my own driver which I had nailed sweet. So I was quite intrigued with the idea that this driver/shaft combo would produce extra yardage. It felt really heavy and solid. After a few months of struggling with this driver my buddy decided to sell it. It was going pretty cheap so I was tempted. Played a full round with it and man I struggled too. Just couldn't get that fu.cker in the air. I was still getting reasonable distance because it was the height of summer in rock hard dry conditions and I was getting a lot of run but it wasn't producing that desirable, long high ball flight that you expect from modern drivers. So rather than taking it off his hands I swallowed my pride and admitted I wasn't 'man enough' to hit it either.

Now where the f#ck am I?

A buddy of mine had that shaft in a Ping G10 last year. I had a couple of hits with it, didn't really nail it but the ball went further than my own driver which I had nailed sweet. So I was quite intrigued with the idea that this driver/shaft combo would produce extra yardage. It felt really heavy and solid. After a few months of struggling with this driver my buddy decided to sell it. It was going pretty cheap so I was tempted. Played a full round with it and man I struggled too. Just couldn't get that fu.cker in the air. I was still getting reasonable distance because it was the height of summer in rock hard dry conditions and I was getting a lot of run but it wasn't producing that desirable, long high ball flight that you expect from modern drivers. So rather than taking it off his hands I swallowed my pride and admitted I wasn't 'man enough' to hit it either.
    Fujikura Speeder is the stiffest shaft I've tried that is labeled with an "S". Put it in a Titleist driver with bore-thru hosel and it gets even stiffer. I've got my eye on a Titleist 907 D2 Driver with Aldila NVS stiff shaft, 8.5 degree. Best looking driver I've seen.

You should have tried a Graffaloy Blue in stiff. Don't have to worry about overpowering that shaft

Fujikura Speeder is the stiffest shaft I've tried that is labeled with an "S". Put it in a Titleist driver with bore-thru hosel and it gets even stiffer. I've got my eye on a Titleist 907 D2 Driver with Aldila NVS stiff shaft, 8.5 degree. Best looking driver I've seen.
    The 757 is very stiff. The 686 is just peachy.
    That prolite red was stiff as a board. It was also a low launching shaft by design. Even the blue played very stiff to flex.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

You should have tried a Graffaloy Blue in stiff. Don't have to worry about overpowering that shaft
    Really? I thought the Graffaloy Blue was supposed to be quite stiff. Back in 2006 I demo'd a Titleist 905T Driver with a Graffaloy Blue S and I thought it was very stiff feeling and non responsive. I tried to talk to it 3 times and it just ignored me. Seriously, I think it's pretty stiff.

Let me tell you a little story about one of my forays into aftermarket shafts, and perhaps why I don't jack around with exotics anymore.
    I had a little period of time about 4-5 years ago where I was convinced that stock shafts were garbage and the only way to shave those last few shots was through tech. I bought a legit Fuji 757 stiff and put it in a KZG Gemini driver. It's what Maltby recommended base upon my profile (9 iron carry plus tempo, I know, I was a moron). I struggled a bit with that driver and ended up cracking the face, which is a common problem with that driver. I loved my 3 wood and thought I could have a clubfitter tip cut it and throw the 757 in the head of my 3 wood and I'd have an absolute launcher. I could never get the ball more than 20 feet off the ground. Low little block cuts when I would formerly kill it. high and straight. $250 down the crapper. I still have this 3 wood, and it's one of my biggest regrets that I changed out the shaft on a 3 wood I could previously destroy.
    There are many other forays into aftermarket shafts that didn't work out for me, but this is the straw that broke the camel's back. Nowadays, when I find something that works, I go with it. None of my graphite shafts cost more than $40.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Face it, he started this thread just so he could casually mention that he was playing from the black tees.

Why would you tip cut it? That sounds like user error to me

Why would you tip cut it? That sounds like user error to me
    Possibly, but it came on the recommendation of a clubfitter. I got this thing spine aligned and flo'ed. It's like finding out Santa and Jesus aren't real when you can't hit this club.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Possibly, but it came on the recommendation of a clubfitter. I got this thing spine aligned and flo'ed. It's like finding out Santa and Jesus aren't real when you can't hit this club.
    I knew Jesus was make believe, BUT Santa too...........
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz1975
    Face it, he started this thread just so he could casually mention that he was playing from the black tees.
    Mentioning the back tees was to emphasize the fact that the guy was giving me yardage on the black tee when he was playing the white. Everyone here knows that I play the back or second to back tees anyway. What, are you from boystown?

Mentioning the back tees was to emphasize the fact that the guy was giving me yardage on the black tee when he was playing the white. Everyone here knows that I play the back or second to back tees anyway. What, are you from boystown?
    So what's a bigger b!tchmove? Using a yardage device or playing from the back tees with a cap that isn't in single figures?

I've seen so many hackers insisting on playing from the tips when they can barely make the fairway. That shite will eat far more time on a round than any GPS reader will.

Also, lighten up Francis. No need to get a sandy vagina over some ball-busting.

So what's a bigger b!tchmove? Using a yardage device or playing from the back tees with a cap that isn't in single figures?

I've seen so many hackers insisting on playing from the tips when they can barely make the fairway. That shite will eat far more time on a round than any GPS reader will.

Also, lighten up Francis. No need to get a sandy vagina over some ball-busting.
    The guys I was playing with were not playing from the black tees, I was. My handicap right now is probably a 5 or 6 because I've only been playing around 3 times a month. It's usually around a 4. If the back tees are over 7000 yards I will usually play the next tee up which is usually around 6500 to 6700. That's more enjoyable than hitting hybrids all day long. My drives probably average around 260 yards and maybe get up to 280 when I hit it perfectly.

These people that brag about hitting it 300 are usually full of it. Go to any course and see where a 300 yard drive would finish and it will become very clear that only a select few hit it that far.

And don't call me franics. Call me psycho. Any of you homos call me francis...and I'll kill ya.

The guys I was playing with were not playing from the black tees, I was. My handicap right now is probably a 5 or 6 because I've only been playing around 3 times a month. It's usually around a 4. If the back tees are over 7000 yards I will usually play the next tee up which is usually around 6500 to 6700. That's more enjoyable than hitting hybrids all day long. My drives probably average around 260 yards and maybe get up to 280 when I hit it perfectly.

These people that brag about hitting it 300 are usually full of it. Go to any course and see where a 300 yard drive would finish and it will become very clear that only a select few hit it that far.

And don't call me franics. Call me psycho. Any of you homos call me francis...and I'll kill ya.
    Whooooooo

You just made the list buddy!

Really? I thought the Graffaloy Blue was supposed to be quite stiff. Back in 2006 I demo'd a Titleist 905T Driver with a Graffaloy Blue S and I thought it was very stiff feeling and non responsive. I tried to talk to it 3 times and it just ignored me. Seriously, I think it's pretty stiff.
    I'm in agreeance. I think it'd probably out-stiff the 757. Not sure if he still does, but Henrik Stenson used to have a Graffaloy Blue X in a 3 wood. I can't even imagine what it would take to get that thing to flex.

Gotta agree here. I recently played a long course from the tips in atrocious conditions and was needing to hit long irons or hybrids all day. It's no fun after a while. If I had been driving well it would have helped but I wasn't driving well and the conditions wind/rain made life very tough. You want to be hitting a variety of shots but IMO you should be looking at 7/8 irons for most of your approach shots if you are playing the correct tees and driving well.

Conversely I was playing a short knockers track recently and driving well in fine conditions and felt like I was hitting 9 iron or PW nearly every hole. That gets boring too.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Gotta agree here. I recently played a long course from the tips in atrocious conditions and was needing to hit long irons or hybrids all day. It's no fun after a while. If I had been driving well it would have helped but I wasn't driving well and the conditions wind/rain made life very tough. You want to be hitting a variety of shots but IMO you should be looking at 7/8 irons for most of your approach shots if you are playing the correct tees and driving well.

Conversely I was playing a short knockers track recently and driving well in fine conditions and felt like I was hitting 9 iron or PW nearly every hole. That gets boring too.
    What is the length of your home course from the tees you usually play? What do consider a short knocker track? I thought on GR anything under 7400 yards was a shortknocker track and anyone that drove under 320 was a shortknocker!
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

What is the length of your home course from the tees you usually play? What do consider a short knocker track? I thought on GR anything under 7400 yards was a shortknocker track and anyone that drove under 320 was a shortknocker!
    I believe that's true. It's amazing that this small forum has a number of people that regularly outdrive Tiger Woods and J.B. Holmes. If only their putting was better.

The short knocker track was about 6200. Not sure what my home track is but I will find out.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I believe that's true. It's amazing that this small forum has a number of people that regularly outdrive Tiger Woods and J.B. Holmes. If only their putting was better.
    You know how you said every once in a while you get one out there 280? Most people consider that one they hit in the screws their "average" drive. Most people are delusional about their driving distances and would be stunned and saddened if they confirmed their drives with GPS.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

Mt' Kidd, Kananaskis - Can't beat the mountain setting.
    I'm with Famous as far as drives. Probably maxing at the 280 mark or so. What's great is that when I pound one out 30 yards past the hacks I tend to walk on with, they think I hit a 330 yard drive. I just smile and say thanks.

"Possibly, but it came on the recommendation of a clubfitter. I got this thing spine aligned and flo'ed. It's like finding out Santa and Jesus aren't real when you can't hit this club."

Sounds like a brilliant move by the clubfitter. Charge you 15 to pull and tip/reglue, or charge you the cost of a grip and labor.. Club doesn't work? You need a new shaft or club! How about a 600 dollar wedge?

I don't think GR is a haven for internet driving legends. I can't think of a single regular who honestly boasts about killing the ball 300.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I don't think GR is a haven for internet driving legends. I can't think of a single regular who honestly boasts about killing the ball 300.
    Ok, I guess I'm exaggerating about the number of people exaggerating their driving distance. On the other hand, maybe you're exaggerating when you say that not one has boasted about 300 yards.

Played today and most drives were right around 265.

I know because I measured them using my GPS.

Suck it!

Played today and most drives were right around 265.

I know because I measured them using my GPS.

Suck it!
    Measuring your drives is the same as measuring your unit...it all depends on where you start.

Thread Information