|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Quadrant Golf

Quadrant Golf

I believe there are 4 quadrants and one sphere in golf: Driving, Irons, pitching/chipping and then rescue shots encompass the 4 quadrants. The sphere is locked inside the 4 quadrants and is the putting game. All 4 quadrants including the sphere make up the complete game of golf but they are all seperate games when looked at individually.

One of the things that seperates me from lesser players is my ability to acknowledge the facts stated above and to embrace them. For example, I have come to accept that part of golf is hitting rescue shots. Some examples of rescue shots are flop shots, shots from out of the trees, shots from a hazard and shots taken after a penalty stroke. Most players do not accept the rescue shot as part of their game when they really should. How you approach and handle a rescue shot is extremely important and realizing you will face it at some point in the round is the first step toward greatness. Here's an example of two different men facing the same rescue shot. We'll call them Neil and Bob.

Neil "Ok, here comes my chance to hit a great rescue shot. I knew it was only a matter of time before I got this chance. I'm going to really focus and hit the best and smartest shot I can"

Bob "This sucks. I can't believe I'm in this situation. Now look what I'm faced with! I hate this game. I'll just fu.cking hit it"

Here are two people facing the exact same circumstances, yet their attitudes are completely different. Did you catch that? I thought you might. I think it goes without saying that Neil has a greater chance of hitting a good shot than Bob. It's also apparent that Bob is harboring anger from his botched sex change operation...but that's a whole different story.

Another paradyme shift is accepting the fact that putting is a completely different game within the game of golf. Once you are on the putting green, you should have mentally exited the game of golf and entered the putting game. You will find that your focus is sharpened when you do this.

...more to come.

That was quite enjoyable. The fact that a flying wedge and a #2 accumulator are not even an issue is the difference. Well done!
    I find rescue shots quite fun. I am actually amazed that I usually score better out of a rescue shot than a good set of shots to the green and then throw a couple of strokes away over stupid little things.
    ... a tree branch, or my foot.

The rescue shot honestly is much more fun than the boring fairway and greens Larryesque style of play. I played today after I got done with work a little early. I hit a decent drive onto a par 5, but had a sidehill lie that I didn't pay close enough attention to when I set up. I hit a terrible layup shot into a fairway bunker on another fairway. Punched out for my third and had about 170 left in. Hit a 3/4 iron to 6 feet away and made the putt for 5.

When you're in the s.hit, you tend to focus much more and do what you can to salvage the lowest score you can without making a big number. It seems for me anyway, that when I've hit it too good on the tee shot, I'm going to phuck up the approach and then be pissed off about it going into my third.

Three keys when you're in the putting sphere:

When behind the ball, look from the ball to the pin and then continue to look beyond the pin to the end of the green. This will provide you with a better feel for distance.

Make sure you use a little wrist in your stroke

Always release the club rather than push it forward toward the line.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    Three keys when you're in the putting sphere:

When behind the ball, look from the ball to the pin and then continue to look beyond the pin to the end of the green. This will provide you with a better feel for distance.

Make sure you use a little wrist in your stroke

Always release the club rather than push it forward toward the line.
    Could I have you visit with my wife about this?
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    The rescue shot honestly is much more fun than the boring fairway and greens Larryesque style of play. I played today after I got done with work a little early. I hit a decent drive onto a par 5, but had a sidehill lie that I didn't pay close enough attention to when I set up. I hit a terrible layup shot into a fairway bunker on another fairway. Punched out for my third and had about 170 left in. Hit a 3/4 iron to 6 feet away and made the putt for 5.

When you're in the s.hit, you tend to focus much more and do what you can to salvage the lowest score you can without making a big number. It seems for me anyway, that when I've hit it too good on the tee shot, I'm going to phuck up the approach and then be pissed off about it going into my third.

Rescue shots are where the real shotmakers get to demonstrate their creativity. No two ever seem to be alike, with the stance, the lie, the trajectory and shape required, etc... every single one is improvised in large part. I actually love the challenge of hitting difficult rescue shots, it's so satisfying when you can recover from a mistake with a great shot from a terrible position - a real momentum shifting sort of thing.

Confidence is the most important thing in golf. If you hit crappy shots all day you won't build it. If you have too much of it you'll suffer a huge emotional crash after a few bad breaks - and probably quit and walk off after 6 holes, ditching guests who have traveled long distances and made many sacrifices to join you for a round at your home course.

Doing something like hitting a great rescue shot from position Z can go a long way toward both regaining lost confidence and at the same time humbling a player into not becoming overconfident. You know you had to hit a terrible shot to put yourself in that position, but hitting a great shot out of a tough spot will still allow you to play on without any real fear of future recovery shots, allowing you to play a controlled, aggressive style.

IMO, rescue shots have the greatest influence on overall confidence of any shot in golf except short putts.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Any golfer who has been around long enough to know the game will tell you that it's not birdies and solid pars that make a great round, but great bogies and par saves. It's not how many birdies you make, but how many doubles or worse you don't make. Any 80s shooter will make their share of pars and ocassional birdies, but to get into the 70s you need to keep doubles or worse off the card. You can make half a dozebn bogies a round and still score well if bogey is your worst score. Personally I knockle down and concentrate harder when I'm in trouble off the tee, trying my best to limit the damage to bogey.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I believe there are 4 quadrants and one sphere in golf: Driving, Irons, pitching/chipping and then rescue shots encompass the 4 quadrants. The sphere is locked inside the 4 quadrants and is the putting game. All 4 quadrants including the sphere make up the complete game of golf but they are all seperate games when looked at individually.

One of the things that seperates me from lesser players is my ability to acknowledge the facts stated above and to embrace them. For example, I have come to accept that part of golf is hitting rescue shots. Some examples of rescue shots are flop shots, shots from out of the trees, shots from a hazard and shots taken after a penalty stroke. Most players do not accept the rescue shot as part of their game when they really should. How you approach and handle a rescue shot is extremely important and realizing you will face it at some point in the round is the first step toward greatness. Here's an example of two different men facing the same rescue shot. We'll call them Neil and Bob.

Neil "Ok, here comes my chance to hit a great rescue shot. I knew it was only a matter of time before I got this chance. I'm going to really focus and hit the best and smartest shot I can"

Bob "This sucks. I can't believe I'm in this situation. Now look what I'm faced with! I hate this game. I'll just fu.cking hit it"

Here are two people facing the exact same circumstances, yet their attitudes are completely different. Did you catch that? I thought you might. I think it goes without saying that Neil has a greater chance of hitting a good shot than Bob. It's also apparent that Bob is harboring anger from his botched sex change operation...but that's a whole different story.

Another paradyme shift is accepting the fact that putting is a completely different game within the game of golf. Once you are on the putting green, you should have mentally exited the game of golf and entered the putting game. You will find that your focus is sharpened when you do this.

...more to come.
    Confucious say "when game go to Guandong shiite, putt with driver and drive with putter."

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature
    Rescue shots are where the real shotmakers get to demonstrate their creativity. No two ever seem to be alike, with the stance, the lie, the trajectory and shape required, etc... every single one is improvised in large part. I actually love the challenge of hitting difficult rescue shots, it's so satisfying when you can recover from a mistake with a great shot from a terrible position - a real momentum shifting sort of thing.

Confidence is the most important thing in golf. If you hit crappy shots all day you won't build it. If you have too much of it you'll suffer a huge emotional crash after a few bad breaks - and probably quit and walk off after 6 holes, ditching guests who have traveled long distances and made many sacrifices to join you for a round at your home course.

Doing something like hitting a great rescue shot from position Z can go a long way toward both regaining lost confidence and at the same time humbling a player into not becoming overconfident. You know you had to hit a terrible shot to put yourself in that position, but hitting a great shot out of a tough spot will still allow you to play on without any real fear of future recovery shots, allowing you to play a controlled, aggressive style.

IMO, rescue shots have the greatest influence on overall confidence of any shot in golf except short putts.

FON
    There may not be anything more satisfying in the game of golf than to have what looks like an impossible shot before you, size up a strategy of addressing a rescue shot, and then pull it off exactly the way you planned with great results. Very satisfying indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Any golfer who has been around long enough to know the game will tell you that it's not birdies and solid pars that make a great round, but great bogies and par saves. It's not how many birdies you make, but how many doubles or worse you don't make. Any 80s shooter will make their share of pars and ocassional birdies, but to get into the 70s you need to keep doubles or worse off the card. You can make half a dozebn bogies a round and still score well if bogey is your worst score. Personally I knockle down and concentrate harder when I'm in trouble off the tee, trying my best to limit the damage to bogey.
    This is so true. You speak my heart. If you were not a man, you would complete me.

I am officially adopting the quadrant/sphere golf philosophy. When I get down to a single digit cap, I will gladly be in your infomercial, FD.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

...more to come.
    I think I'm getting Neil and Bob. Neil gets into trouble and stays in the moment.

Bob however loses focus and starts daydreaming about the poor choice he made in the bar at closing time and how he felt when they got to his place.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I think I'm getting Neil and Bob. Neil gets into trouble and stays in the moment.

Bob however loses focus and starts daydreaming about the poor choice he made in the bar at closing time and how he felt when they got to his place.
    Not exactly. Neil understood before he started the round that he would be faced with a rescue shot. He realizes that it's part of the game of golf and that it would eventually happen at some point in the round.

Bob thinks he should be able to play a round of golf without facing the rescue shot. He acts surprised by his misfortune. He's living in denial by believing that good golfers shouldn't have to hit rescue shots. He's an idiot.

Not exactly. Neil understood before he started the round that he would be faced with a rescue shot. He realizes that it's part of the game of golf and that it would eventually happen at some point in the round.

Bob thinks he should be able to play a round of golf without facing the rescue shot. He acts surprised by his misfortune. He's living in denial by believing that good golfers shouldn't have to hit rescue shots. He's an idiot.
    So then where is the sexual element in all this? If I can't find it I won't relate.

See Freud.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    So then where is the sexual element in all this? If I can't find it I won't relate.

See Freud.
    Ok, how about. Neil plays GFF blades and bars up when gazing at such sexy sticks for prolonged periods. Bob on the other hand plays Pings and expects such butt ugly clubs to just perform, no questions asked and gets exasperated when they don't.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Ok, how about. Neil plays GFF blades and bars up when gazing at such sexy sticks for prolonged periods. Bob on the other hand plays Pings and expects such butt ugly clubs to just perform, no questions asked and gets exasperated when they don't.
    So then maybe Bob plays his Pings with little paper bags on the heads? Maybe he double bags the wedges?
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    I just can't help thinking that Qturn wouldn't have walked away so quickly if he had been playing Pings. His shot dispersion would have been better and he'd have more confidence. GFF continues to disappoint in GR matches.

I just can't help thinking that Qturn wouldn't have walked away so quickly if he had been playing Pings. His shot dispersion would have been better and he'd have more confidence. GFF continues to disappoint in GR matches.
    Mizuno tied Callaway, while Adams had trouble adapting to the conditions and the attire of his playing partners.

Mizuno tied Callaway, while Adams had trouble adapting to the conditions and the attire of his playing partners.
    What Mizuno irons were you or Pottsy playing? I'd also like to point out that 2 of the players remaining in the Accenture Match play are Ping guys. Just saying.

How about the Q is just a dikc!
    ... a tree branch, or my foot.

What Mizuno irons were you or Pottsy playing? I'd also like to point out that 2 of the players remaining in the Accenture Match play are Ping guys. Just saying.
    Cally X Forged for Pottsy. I believe they were the 2009 model, the badge in the center was very small and either 2008 or 2009 was the year they changed it. He had PX Flighted, but didn't see the label to see if they were 5.5's-6.5's. My guess is in the middle at 6.0.

MP 60's for me with KBS Tour's 5.5. I hit good shots with em, but struggle with left as a miss as you guys will be able to see. I just haven't gotten around to cutting the 690's down and adjusting the lies. If I hold them at normal length, the toe's straight up in the air. Love the feel of them, but I already struggle with left and they go even more left in their current state.

Thread Information