|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Best Swing on Tour?

All this swing talk by Larry got me watching a lot of swing videos and how different every tour player swung. So the question is up, who has the best swing on tour? My vote is for Mcilroy!

Golf

I figure Larry will vote for Pavin.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1135
    I figure Larry will vote for Pavin.
    Anyone who votes pavin has a skewed idea of good swing...
    Golf

Tim clark
    Grant waite
    Charlie wi
    Troy matteson
    Sean o hair
    John rollins

Since "best" can be judged both subjectively and objectively, I choose what can be quantified and elect Jim Furyk's swing since it won him the FedEx $10 million plus the tournament check. Is he this year's money leader? Eh. Watched the Monday singles from Wales-- Luke Donald v. Furyk. One of the best swings in history vs. Mr. Loop de Loop. Luke won that one but Furyk won the cash. Uh, cash is best, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel
    Since "best" can be judged both subjectively and objectively, I choose what can be quantified and elect Jim Furyk's swing since it won him the FedEx $10 million plus the tournament check. Is he this year's money leader? Eh. Watched the Monday singles from Wales-- Luke Donald v. Furyk. One of the best swings in history vs. Mr. Loop de Loop. Luke won that one but Furyk won the cash. Uh, cash is best, thanks.
    Well, I meant best as in, to your eyes, which is most fundamental or appealing to you, not the one that won the most money haha, in that case it's Tiger since he's won the most out of everyone over the years.

And of course pingman unloads every s&t guy out there. Pingman, I think you forgot about mine.
    Golf

Rickie Fowler!?
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

only 3 are in andy and mike's camp and really only 2... haha...

i left out dean wilson, garrett willis, bill lunde, brad faxon, and other SnTers as well... so it's a fair assessment on my part... but i can't help it, what's right is right... haha...

Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic
    Rickie Fowler!?
    actually i like a lot of his swing... ONE of the better ones on tour, but that being said the majority of tour swing suck...

Quote Originally Posted by pingman360
    actually i like a lot of his swing... ONE of the better ones on tour, but that being said the majority of tour swing suck...
    What?! You like majority of his swing?! Even with the Furyk, Ryan Moore loopty loop? Mcilroy trumps Fowler no doubt! I am outraged!
    Golf

Quote Originally Posted by qtong
    What?! You like majority of his swing?! Even with the Furyk, Ryan Moore loopty loop? Mcilroy trumps Fowler no doubt! I am outraged!
    Mcilroy has good pieces at times...

fowler is basically model for the felling of #3 stalling the most (although he loads #2 early) with the handpath the most inward... i like a lot of it... WAAAYYYY Cf on the downswing, but hey, he hits it good and a big draw consistently so whatever... lol

actually you need to try and mimic the first part of his backswing really... well not the loading of #2 but other than that (#2 is strictly the setting of the wrists essentially...)

Ernie Els. I think he has the most aesthetically pleasing swing to watch in golf history.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Ernie and Fred have the smoothest looking swings out there, but for mine there a couple of Aussies with superb golf swings, Goggin and Senden. If either of those numb nuts could figure out to putt for any length of time, they'd be up there challenging every week. If we are talking all time swings it would be very hard to go past the Shark, in his day the atheleitcism and power of his swing was a thing to behold.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

It's not my fault God made me this beautiful.

15. just look how good rory gets through the ball, his follow through and finish are something to admire!! though if i tried to hold that pose as he does id surely have no spine left in a few years!! hes like a coiled spring!

Quote Originally Posted by samuel hosick
    just look how good rory gets through the ball, his follow through and finish are something to admire!! though if i tried to hold that pose as he does id surely have no spine left in a few years!! hes like a coiled spring!
    Agreed, Rory will be out of the game before 30 unless he adjusts his swing to take all that stress of his body.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Old School Tiger.

[IMG][/IMG]

Backswing was slightly more above plane, but the downswing was right on plane...He was under plane with Haney. He is a little more laid off at the top, but it worked for him.

[IMG][/IMG]

Listen to the impact.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist
    Old School Tiger.

[IMG]

[/IMG]

Backswing was slightly more above plane, but the downswing was right on plane...He was under plane with Haney. He is a little more laid off at the top, but it worked for him.

[IMG]

[/IMG]

Listen to the impact.
    I think this Tiger swing is the best in the history of golf. The fact that he changed it is beyond comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by qtong
    All this swing talk by Larry got me watching a lot of swing videos and how different every tour player swung. So the question is up, who has the best swing on tour? My vote is for Mcilroy!

I really like Hunter Mahans swing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    Me too. McElroy's swing is good but the hair wings ruin the video.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I think this Tiger swing is the best in the history of golf. The fact that he changed it is beyond comprehension.
    I think his stress fracture in his left knee might be a good clue.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    I think his stress fracture in his left knee might be a good clue.
    Except for the fact that he didn't have the fracture when he started changing his swing. Plus, the new swing looked like it put a lot more strain on his body than the previous one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    I like his chipping technique. A lot of similarities to Kiwi Player.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    POTD.....brilliant.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

Except for the fact that he didn't have the fracture when he started changing his swing. Plus, the new swing looked like it put a lot more strain on his body than the previous one.
    Except for the fact that his first left knee surgery was back before he switched coaches and his swing. The knee pain and first surgery was caused by his his earlier swing. Who knows, maybe he has a bum knee. But the fact that he snapped it straight to get power with that doesn't sound like a good healthy move to me.

Except for the fact that his first left knee surgery was back before he switched coaches and his swing. The knee pain and first surgery was caused by his his earlier swing. Who knows, maybe he has a bum knee. But the fact that he snapped it straight to get power with that doesn't sound like a good healthy move to me.
    You have no clue if his knee damage was caused by his swing. His new swing could have put more pressure on it. Who knows?

In my humble opinion and in no specific order my favs are......

Ernie Els
    Steve Elkington
    David Toms

Did he do that move on all swings or just when he was looking for extra yards with his driver? Seems a crazy move to be using every swing. If he was using it with iron approach shots surely it would result in a lack of control and wild mis-hits.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Too soon...

Old School Tiger....

...Listen to the impact.
    The sound Tiger made when hitting the ball back then is legendary. Lot's of his playing partners have commented that they had never seen or heard anyone compress the ball like Tiger. The sound of the ball fizzing of his irons was unique. I think that would have been a big part of the intimidation factor back in the day, he made other pros feel emasculated as soon as they saw and heard him hit the ball in a way they could only dream of.

The honors for best swing on the PGA Tour would have to be hotly contested between Kenny Perry, Jim Furyk, and Ryan Moore. Arnold Palmer and Jim Thorpe clearly had the most graceful swings on the Champions Tour for many years.......

Now if you wanted to make it a combination of "best swing plus best fashion sense," Ryan Moore would be the hands down winner.......though John Daly might get an honorable mention if there was a disproportionate value placed on the fashion component of the competition.......
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    The sound Tiger made when hitting the ball back then is legendary. Lot's of his playing partners have commented that they had never seen or heard anyone compress the ball like Tiger. The sound of the ball fizzing of his irons was unique. I think that would have been a big part of the intimidation factor back in the day, he made other pros feel emasculated as soon as they saw and heard him hit the ball in a way they could only dream of.
    Gotta tell ya NAH, at last years Aussie Masters i watched a number of groups tee off the 10th at Kingston Heath and there were a lot of players (particularly Goggin) who hit it further than Tiger but none of them had the sound that Tiger produced. Don't know if its the ball or the driver he was using, but the fizz was almost unbelievable. I talked my mates into waiting on that hole for Tiger and Chalmers to go through and one of them said to me "i've never heard that from a driver before".
    Of the Aussies, best swings on the eye that i seen that day were Scott and Baddeley.
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy
    Gotta tell ya NAH, at last years Aussie Masters i watched a number of groups tee off the 10th at Kingston Heath and there were a lot of players (particularly Goggin) who hit it further than Tiger but none of them had the sound that Tiger produced. Don't know if its the ball or the driver he was using, but the fizz was almost unbelievable. I talked my mates into waiting on that hole for Tiger and Chalmers to go through and one of them said to me "i've never heard that from a driver before".
    Of the Aussies, best swings on the eye that i seen that day were Scott and Baddeley.
    That's the weird thing about Tiger. He has the fastest swing speed on tour, but isn't near the top in driving distance anymore. Its got to have something to do with that POS Nike ball he uses. I remember in a ball test 2 years ago, the Nike Platinum was 30 yards behind the other premium balls off the tee. Nike claimed the Platinum was only meant to be compressed at swing speeds like Tiger (130mph), but I never saw that verified in a test.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

That's the weird thing about Tiger. He has the fastest swing speed on tour, but isn't near the top in driving distance anymore. Its got to have something to do with that POS Nike ball he uses. I remember in a ball test 2 years ago, the Nike Platinum was 30 yards behind the other premium balls off the tee. Nike claimed the Platinum was only meant to be compressed at swing speeds like Tiger (130mph), but I never saw that verified in a test.
    High SS, but not optimized for distance in his equipment. Super spinny ball, - AoA along with a low launch setup.

He switched half way through this year to the One Tour D seems to have picked up some distance, along with this new swing. He's flown a lot of greens the past few months with his iron shots.

Did he do that move on all swings or just when he was looking for extra yards with his driver? Seems a crazy move to be using every swing. If he was using it with iron approach shots surely it would result in a lack of control and wild mis-hits.
    I recall when he had his first surgery he said he used that move all through his amateur career to compete. He was often playing older stronger players and needed to generate club head speed with a small body. Even when he entered the PGA he was, what, 155 lbs and hit the ball further than most if not all other pro's. That is a ton of force.

So, maybe it's a sound swing but there's a reason he's left it behind. I can't find quotes but I recall the talk was that the swing put too much torque on the knee. Maybe it's because of previously youthful damage.

That knee could keep him from Jack's record. Knee injuries tend to cause other problems like lower back and neck issues. The tour average peak for players is 37. But we are seeing a trend in many other sports that the peak is happening sooner in players careers due to the intense training in the teenage years. Your body does have mechanical limitations and it does wear.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    The honors for best swing on the PGA Tour would have to be hotly contested between Kenny Perry, Jim Furyk, and Ryan Moore. Arnold Palmer and Jim Thorpe clearly had the most graceful swings on the Champions Tour for many years.......

Now if you wanted to make it a combination of "best swing plus best fashion sense," Ryan Moore would be the hands down winner.......though John Daly might get an honorable mention if there was a disproportionate value placed on the fashion component of the competition.......
    How could you rate those two above Lee Trevino and Alan Doyle? When one adjusts ratings for weight of the player, Juan Rodriguez takes the prize. Around 1964 at a event near Philly, I watched that little taquito tee up his balata about 5" on the tee of a par four and lterally (wish I had a movie camera with me) come off both feet at impact with the largest persimmon head I've ever seen on a driver (face must have been 5" deep). The ball took off very high, travelled on a flat trajectory, carried at least 300 yards and rolled another 30 or 40. Next time I saw him live was around 1998 at a Senior Tour event and he had this new trick...on a par 3, he tee'd his ball, stepped to the side and behind it, turned his head to say something to one of his playing partners, then took two steps towards the ball and drew the club back and hit it in the blink of an eye. Almost in one continous motion. About 3 feet from 175 yards.

The idea of there being an ideal swing is flawed. Yes, right now instruction promotes uniformity. I think that has more to do with the point we've reached with the evolution of video than anything. No question, there are certain things that have proven to be important components. But if you look at the swings on the Ryder Cup teams, there were alot of funky ones, particularly with the Yanks.

If there was someone to be patterned after, it would probably be McElroy. In the future, easy power will be rewarded.

Along thise lines, a name that seldom gets mentioned in a discussion of best swings is Nick Watney, but he belongs in that discussion.
    GR lives...

i'm sorry TP but this is just plain wrong information Tiger is 10th in terms of swingspeed and 22nd in terms of ballspeed so.... he's 187th in terms of smash factor, which says a LOT, bottom line is he's not the fastest on tour (he was in 07 not now though) and he's not hitting it as solidly according to stats as he has in the past... his smash factor is pretty low this year at 1.458...

check it out http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/filter/?4

i'm sorry TP but this is just plain wrong information Tiger is 10th in terms of swingspeed and 22nd in terms of ballspeed so.... he's 187th in terms of smash factor, which says a LOT, bottom line is he's not the fastest on tour (he was in 07 not now though) and he's not hitting it as solidly according to stats as he has in the past... his smash factor is pretty low this year at 1.458...

That's some pretty amazing stats there Pingman. Very interesting.

Thanks for posting that link.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Thanks for that link. It can keep a simple mind like mine occupied for hours. Love that shortest and longest drive list. Suddenly, I don't feel like I'm 63 since Brian Gay bats it out there an average of 240 with his longest around 272 or so. Hell, I can do that.

Thanks for that link. It can keep a simple mind like mine occupied for hours. Love that shortest and longest drive list. Suddenly, I don't feel like I'm 63 since Brian Gay bats it out there an average of 240 with his longest around 272 or so. Hell, I can do that.
    that's the carry distance... thing about tour is they usually get 40 yards of roll which is a good 15-20 longer than most of us... tour courses are set up hard and fast, i have had the opportunity to play on courses numerous time the day after a tour event and it's scary how fast the fairways and greens are much harder to control the spin and rollout...

i'm sorry TP but this is just plain wrong information Tiger is 10th in terms of swingspeed and 22nd in terms of ballspeed so.... he's 187th in terms of smash factor, which says a LOT, bottom line is he's not the fastest on tour (not sure he really ever has been) and he's not hitting it as solidly according to stats as he has in the past... his smash factor is pretty low this year at 1.458...

The highest smash factor is Chris Riley with a 1.562 but I think there's a typo because he has the highest recorded as 6.180. Must have been one of the PowerBuilt Airforce 1's with the nitro heads that exploded on impact... LOL.

The highest smash factor is Chris Riley with a 1.562 but I think there's a typo because he has the highest recorded as 6.180. Must have been one of the PowerBuilt Airforce 1's with the nitro heads that exploded on impact... LOL.
    yeah it's obviously a trackman malfunction since highest SF is 1.5

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Oliver Wilson by far. Look him up on YouTube.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

yeah it's obviously a trackman malfunction since highest SF is 1.5
    Yah think. With a 6.0 smash factor lary might even be able to hit the ball 300 yards.

Sorry lil' brotha, but I'm right. Your stats don't take into account driver vs 3 wood off the tee. Tiger takes more 3 woods off the tee than most pros. Both clubhead speed and smash factor will be significantly different going from a 3 wood to driver. Thought you knew....

Tiger also hits the ball on the downswing, so he doesn't optimize distance, but he still hits 130-135 mph when he cranks up the driver.

Sorry lil' brotha, but I'm right. Your stats don't take into account driver vs 3 wood off the tee. Tiger takes more 3 woods off the tee than most pros. Both clubhead speed and smash factor will be significantly different going from a 3 wood to driver. Thought you knew....

Tiger also hits the ball on the downswing, so he doesn't optimize distance, but he still hits 130-135 mph when he cranks up the driver.
    trackman stats only are used if the driver is employed... plus bubba hits irons on a lot of tees actually, and look where he is so its pretty aparent they throw out everthing but drivers... i was personally told this directly by a head guy at trackman...

That's why he's Brian Gay.

how can yous look any further than luke donald? he has the esiest looking swing htat still generates the power he needs.same swing, same finish for every singe club in the bag, brilliant
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVW8DBHWXv8

Quote Originally Posted by stugstar
    how can yous look any further than luke donald? he has the esiest looking swing htat still generates the power he needs.same swing, same finish for every singe club in the bag, brilliant
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVW8DBHWXv8
    Gorgeous video. I watched so many times as I am golfing tomorrow with a bunch of buddies, and/but, I don't want too many swing thoughts... but...

Thank you for that link; cool video of Donald swinging in slow mo...

Thanks again stug.
    It's not my fault God made me this beautiful.

trackman stats only are used if the driver is employed... plus bubba hits irons on a lot of tees actually, and look where he is so its pretty aparent they throw out everthing but drivers... i was personally told this directly by a head guy at trackman...
    I'm all for making stuff up and claiming it gospel, but I'm gonna have to ask you to prove this. The site you linked makes no mention of only driver's being used. Here is the language for swing speed:
    Speed at which the club impacts the ball (mph) on Par 4 and Par 5 tee shots where a radar measurement was taken. (2401)

I'm all for making stuff up and claiming it gospel, but I'm gonna have to ask you to prove this. The site you linked makes no mention of only driver's being used. Here is the language for swing speed:
    no i honestly was told that for the trackman numbers to be accurate they have to only take number from driver swings... driving distance they use the raw number though...

i have no proof only telling what i heard.... plus bottom line is tiger does not have the fastest swing on tour, this is a verifiable fact, even tiger has admitted this in the past...

Luke Donald~

Driver - Cleveland Launcher 09 12
    4 Wood - Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 17
    Hybrid - Mizuno FLI-HI CLK 20 23
    Irons - Mizuno MP-32 5-PW
    Wedges - Mizuno MP GW/SW/Cobra LW
    Putter - Mizuno Bettinardi BC1

I've always liked Retief Goosens swing. He has a smooth, well balanced and full swing that has changed very little in 15 years.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Here you go Kiwi. This was posted by Qtong as a response to Lary's flatten the shaft. It clearly states the reason for the swing change is for longevity. So one could infer that the his older swing was causing him physical issues. I remember hearing this many times when he was changing his swing.

Here you go Kiwi. This was posted by Qtong as a response to Lary's flatten the shaft. It clearly states the reason for the swing change is for longevity. So one could infer that the his older swing was causing him physical issues. I remember hearing this many times when he was changing his swing.

You shouldn't believe everything you see on TV. This is back when Tiger was lying...prior to him gettting babe counseling. He changed his swing because people were making fun of him hitting wedges over greens. It had nothing to do with the knee. Butch Harmon is a pig.

You shouldn't believe everything you see on TV. This is back when Tiger was lying...prior to him gettting babe counseling. He changed his swing because people were making fun of him hitting wedges over greens. It had nothing to do with the knee. Butch Harmon is a pig.
    We agree on the Harmon statement....

Based on the video's with Big Dave, you have nothing to worry about with regards to using tiger's swing as a model. I saw very little torque and your knees should be fine.

Based on the video's with Big Dave, you have nothing to worry about with regards to using tiger's swing as a model. I saw very little torque and your knees should be fine.
    Everyone step back for a minute and focus on the flow of the conversation from:

"you won the Masters"

to

"we changed your swing"

AND... he got paid for it too. Wow!
    Titleist 909D2 9.5, Motore F1 (s)
    Callaway Diablo Edge 3W, E370 (s)
    Ping i5 2-PW, CS Lite (s)
    Callaway X-Tour 54,60
    Ping G5i B60

I've never used Tiger's swing as a model. Now quit following me around like a lost puppy. I could beat you with one arm.

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPS
    Everyone step back for a minute and focus on the flow of the conversation from:

"you won the Masters"

to

"we changed your swing"

AND... he got paid for it too. Wow!
    Yup. And then he won... ...everything.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP2 w/Project X shafts 3-PW
    Cleveland 52°, Titleist Vokey 56° & 60°
    Tommy Armour Model 6 putter.

I've never used Tiger's swing as a model. Now quit following me around like a lost puppy. I could beat you with one arm.
    How is responding to your posts "as following you around"? Are you paranoid or something?

Edit - In fact I was responding to Kiwi. So it's you that is following me. But whatever.....

BTW - how much money do you want to put down on that one-arm statement?
    Last edited by poe4soul; 10-11-2010 at 10:54 AM.

Thanks Poe that's great but didn't he change his swing again later with Haney?

I thought it was the swing with Harmon that supposedly caused the knee problems?

BTW you guys call Harmon a pig but he looks pretty trim back then compared to nowadays. Or are you referring to something other than his weight?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Thanks Poe that's great but didn't he change his swing again later with Haney?

I thought it was the swing with Harmon that supposedly caused the knee problems?

BTW you guys call Harmon a pig but he looks pretty trim back then compared to nowadays. Or are you referring to something other than his weight?
    You're correct. But isn't the swing he is referring to the one that FD likes?

Personally, I could care less. Most of us cannot or will not generate the amount of torque that Tiger does. And the fact that he is reported to practice hours a day could explain some of the wear on his knee. We don't play as much golf in a year that Tiger plays in a month. Couple the amount of practice with the knee pop and big turn he described could culminate to the reason he has knee problems.

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    I've always liked Retief Goosens swing. He has a smooth, well balanced and full swing that has changed very little in 15 years.

Agreed. Probably the swing I like most on tour actually.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

How is responding to your posts "as following you around"? Are you paranoid or something?

Edit - In fact I was responding to Kiwi. So it's you that is following me. But whatever.....

BTW - how much money do you want to put down on that one-arm statement?
    The one arm comment was a joke from a movie that you probably have never heard of. OK, let's start over. I think Tiger had the best swing ever when he went with Butch Harmon. I do not think he changed his swing again with Haney to lessen the impact on his knee. If anything, the Haney swing looks like it puts more pressure on everything...especially his back. Finally, I'll be the first to admit that my swing needs work and that I lay the club off something horrible. However, I also think that if Tiger could copy my swing he'd win more tournaments and help his knee heal.

The one arm comment was a joke from a movie that you probably have never heard of. OK, let's start over. I think Tiger had the best swing ever when he went with Butch Harmon. I do not think he changed his swing again with Haney to lessen the impact on his knee. If anything, the Haney swing looks like it puts more pressure on everything...especially his back. Finally, I'll be the first to admit that my swing needs work and that I lay the club off something horrible. However, I also think that if Tiger could copy my swing he'd win more tournaments and help his knee heal.
    Fair enough. No matter which swing you pick, Tiger's swing is great.

It would be an interesting question to ask tiger if the current or old tiger could go back and time and give swing advice, golf swing advice only, to the teenage tiger what advice would he give?

I read an article about the state of professional sports and when the athletes peaked. In most sports the athletes are peaking at a much younger age. This is mostly due to the amount of training they get as teenagers. No matter what, the body is a machine and you can only to so much or so many with it. It has a limit to the amount of abuse you can put on it. It will be interesting to see if this is true for golf with many of these young players having extensive coaching at a young age. It will also be interesting to see if Tiger will be able to compete at this high level for years to come. The peak for a golfer used to be 37. Now I bet it is younger for Tiger, Adams, Kim, Donald, etc.

It would be an interesting question to ask tiger if the current or old tiger could go back and time and give swing advice, golf swing advice only, to the teenage tiger what advice would he give?

I read an article about the state of professional sports and when the athletes peaked. In most sports the athletes are peaking at a much younger age. This is mostly due to the amount of training they get as teenagers. No matter what, the body is a machine and you can only to so much or so many with it. It has a limit to the amount of abuse you can put on it. It will be interesting to see if this is true for golf with many of these young players having extensive coaching at a young age. It will also be interesting to see if Tiger will be able to compete at this high level for years to come. The peak for a golfer used to be 37. Now I bet it is younger for Tiger, Adams, Kim, Donald, etc.

I was watching one of Tiger's tournaments they were replaying on Golf Channel. It was the one that he won in complete darkness where he stuck the final shot to within 2 feet and you could see all the flash bulbs going off. I think that was either 1999 or 2000. Anyway, his swing is completely different back then. The speed at which he did his hip turn was unbelievably fast. He looked like he weighed 20 lbs less than he does now.

Interesting theory. You would think that with the knowledge we have today, with training and conditioning that golfers would be able to play better for longer. I know it requires athleticism, but it is still just golf. Vijay and Melonhead Perry could be cases for the argument that golfers may peak longer, however that could just be technology and HGC related. Vijay is a proven cheat and we see what has happened to his game since testing was implemented.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    Interesting theory. You would think that with the knowledge we have today, with training and conditioning that golfers would be able to play better for longer. I know it requires athleticism, but it is still just golf. Vijay and Melonhead Perry could be cases for the argument that golfers may peak longer, however that could just be technology and HGC related. Vijay is a proven cheat and we see what has happened to his game since testing was implemented.
    Agree with the testing statement. VJ fell apart immediately after they started testing. In golf it's not only the swing but the mental side of the game. It has always been that the young players have difficulties with the mental side of the game. But when they get too old their swing is gone or their putting sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    ... AND he played the R7 TP irons prior to switching to their latest iteration the R9 TP.

Ah well at least if I go back to the R7's I know I am in good company!

Now where the f#ck am I?

... AND he played the R7 TP irons prior to switching to their latest iteration the R9 TP.

He also had a significant role in the design of the rac MB TP's I use, which he played for a couple years on and off.

Good company indeed.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

What's with the mobile phones on the belt? He may be the greatest golfer of all time, but what a dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    What's with the mobile phones on the belt? He may be the greatest golfer of all time, but what a dork.

BTW - I think those are microphone transmitters.

Speaking of R9 irons, I think I spotted a counterfit set the other day that was remarkably similar to the real mccoy. The sales clerk came over and took them off the used shelf and said he thought they were counterfit as well. The shaft had the KBS Tour shaft but the stickers weren't on their very well and it was clearly not a KBS Tour shaft. The grips weren't Taylormade either. The head looked remarkably similar to the real thing and I could not tell the difference. Pretty scary.

and a watch. That's like belt and suspenders. Who wears a watch anymore. I have time everywhere I look, my car, my computer, my microwave, my cell, etc.

I agree that they are wireless mic transmitters. It's a known fact that Tiger isn't that great at keeping up with his cell phone.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

and a watch. That's like belt and suspenders. Who wears a watch anymore. I have time everywhere I look, my car, my computer, my microwave, my cell, etc.

Agree, particularly if you tap into your Circadian Rythyms. With practice, they can become reliable. Unless you're a highly accepted member of your community that needs everyone else to know that, an expensive watch is kind of silly.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Agree, particularly if you tap into your Circadian Rythyms. With practice, they can become reliable. Unless you're a highly accepted member of your community that needs everyone else to know that, an expensive watch is kind of silly.
    I'm disappointed you didn't reply with a misogynistic post. You really need to step up your game. sigh.

Speaking of R9 irons, I think I spotted a counterfit set the other day that was remarkably similar to the real mccoy. The sales clerk came over and took them off the used shelf and said he thought they were counterfit as well. The shaft had the KBS Tour shaft but the stickers weren't on their very well and it was clearly not a KBS Tour shaft. The grips weren't Taylormade either. The head looked remarkably similar to the real thing and I could not tell the difference. Pretty scary.
    They may have been counterfeit, but KBS shafts come with a separate bag of stickers in case you prefer the shafts without them. So sloppily applied stickers don't by themselves prove counterfeit. I have a set of KBS but never put on the stickers. There isn't anything other than serial numbers that identify them and they have steps like most shafts.
    GR lives...

I'm disappointed you didn't reply with a misogynistic post. You really need to step up your game. sigh.
    Then perhaps I should elaborate. The way one develops their Circadian Rythms is by having rampant, disrespectful sex with women who consent only because you've found some way to take advantage of them, for instance providing them with laughter, companionship and a good time. You just have to get over the guilt of putting them through that.

By the way, Circadian Rythyms aren't to be confused with Canadian Rythms.
    GR lives...

They may have been counterfeit, but KBS shafts come with a separate bag of stickers in case you prefer the shafts without them. So sloppily applied stickers don't by themselves prove counterfeit. I have a set of KBS but never put on the stickers. There isn't anything other than serial numbers that identify them and they have steps like most shafts.
    Agreed, they let you butcher the sticker job if you so choose but I thought they looked better without them on. Nothing more distracting than catching that red label in your field of vision.

Come to think of it, I lost the stickers the day I got the shafts. I think I tossed em in the box and didn't even realize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    Agreed, they let you butcher the sticker job if you so choose but I thought they looked better without them on. Nothing more distracting than catching that red label in your field of vision.

Come to think of it, I lost the stickers the day I got the shafts. I think I tossed em in the box and didn't even realize it.
    IMO you're better off without them. They are distracting and your playing partners don't need to know you paid more for your shafts than them. Particularly when they're beating you.
    GR lives...

Then perhaps I should elaborate. The way one develops their Circadian Rythms is by having rampant, disrespectful sex with women who consent only because you've found some way to take advantage of them, for instance providing them with laughter, companionship and a good time. You just have to get over the guilt of putting them through that.

By the way, Circadian Rythyms aren't to be confused with Canadian Rythms.
    I get the reference to the Circadian Rhythms but what exactly is Canadian Rhythms?
    BTW - your circadian rhythms is way more elaborate than mine but then I'm married. Maybe this is why I need mass coffee to get them started in that morning...

I get the reference to the Circadian Rhythms but what exactly is Canadian Rhythms?
    BTW - your circadian rhythms is way more elaborate than mine but then I'm married. Maybe this is why I need mass coffee to get them started in that morning...
    Canadian Rythyms are kind of a mating ritual that involves the tailwind you were talking about before. I don't really get it but then I'm not Canadian. Maybe it has something to do with French influence.
    GR lives...

IMO you're better off without them. They are distracting and your playing partners don't need to know you paid more for your shafts than them. Particularly when they're beating you.
    Plus they dreadfully overrated.

PS, Even though Lorenzo is a sexual deviant who has never mentally matured past the 8th grade, and whose toilet humor is both classless and embarrassing, and who used to be witty but is now tiresome, this is not to be taken in any way as a put down. Dorkman doesn't exhibit any signs of being pent up or repressed. He is always on the right side of every joke.
    Last edited by Horseballs; 10-12-2010 at 10:00 AM.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    You might want to edit that post before Dorkman sees it. According to him, if he senses you're putting me down he'll be all over you. Of course, not in a sexual way.
    GR lives...

You might want to edit that post before Dorkman sees it. According to him, if he senses you're putting me down he'll be all over you. Of course, not in a sexual way.
    Edited, thank you.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs

PS, Even though Lorenzo is a sexual deviant who has never mentally matured past the 8th grade, and whose toilet humor is both classless and embarrassing, and who used to be witty but is now tiresome, this is not to be taken in any way as a put down. Dorkman doesn't exhibit any signs of being pent up or repressed. He is always on the right side of every joke.
    You forgot angry but you should be safe now.
    GR lives...

Canadian Rythyms are kind of a mating ritual that involves the tailwind you were talking about before. I don't really get it but then I'm not Canadian. Maybe it has something to do with French influence.
    I thought that the Canadian Rhythm was when a feeling of inferiority wakes someone up at the same time every morning.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    I thought that the Canadian Rhythm was when a feeling of inferiority wakes someone up at the same time every morning.
    I thought that was a French alarm clock.

There's just too much to remember.
    GR lives...

I think some of the best swings are those viewed on the LPGA as the camera follows them from the rear.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    My next 6 session lessons are coming up in a couple weeks. I get some about once a decade. I,m telling them I want Freddy Couples swing.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich
    My next 6 session lessons are coming up in a couple weeks. I get some about once a decade. I,m telling them I want Freddy Couples swing.
    Any good teaching pro should be able to teach you how to emulate another player's swing. Or, wouldn't it be great if they had something like they did in the Matrix to just program your brain so that you immediately knew how to swing the club perfectly? It would be great for all of us because then Larry wouldn't take any more lessons.

And Tiger has publicly said (not a exact quote) that Dustin Johnson strikes the ball like he (Tiger) has never seen.

I can tell you Dustin is long.... very long! I played some of my junior golf against Dustin and a couple high school tournaments. Dustin went on to Coastal (a D-I school) and I went to a D-II school, then we went on to D-I.

Several year ago in the our City Tournament; Dustin, another player (which I know well) and myself all shot 70 to be tied after round one. I played right behind Dustin and this other player on the second round. I asked my buddy how long was Dustin since he didn't look like he was blowing it out of sight. I was told Dustin hit nothing but long irons and a few 3 woods all day off the tee (playing 6,800 yards). Dustin hit driver on 18 (a long par five) and was 92 yards in front of my buddy. I was driving the ball just over 300 yards *on average* for a couple years at this point and I was about 20 in front of my buddy on a regular basis.... so Dustin was about 70 yards in front of me.

I went on to shoot 5 over for the 54 hole tournament (placed 12th) and Dustin ran away with it with each round under par.

I've met a few that were longer than me but not by that margin

Now I get to watch him on TV and see him on the lake every once in a while. He is a player to watch.... he thinks he can't be beat and that kind of thinking that may make him a world beater in years to come.

We all know he has had some trouble in a couple big tourneys but he is young, very young.
    Cheers,
    Jay

Freddie " Boom Boom" Couples

Best swing in PGA Tour history: the 6 iron tee shot on the fourth playoff hole by Jonathan Byrd.

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich
    Just like a monk who went to a barber shop and said " I want my haircut looks like the Beatles "

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    Just like a monk who went to a barber shop and said " I want my haircut looks like the Beatles "
    I want to be able to play 18 holes with a coke bottle and break 90. Is there some place special they can send me?

I want to be able to play 18 holes with a coke bottle and break 90. Is there some place special they can send me?
    The itinerary would be London to Peshawar to Kabul to Guantanimo Bay.

Thread Information