|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

New Ping Eye 2 XG Wedges

This is almost too good to be true. Ping is coming out with a new set of Ping Eye 2 confirming wedges named the Ping Eye 2 XG. I don't know the lofts yet. This could lead to them releasing a full set of Ping Eye 2s with modern day lofts. Finally the golf world will see the first advancement in golf in more than 25 years! I feel like I'm dreaming!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ping 2.jpg 
Views:	3621 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	2509  

Are they making these new in AZ??? Pretty cool stuff. John Solhiem must either be a GR member or a friend of yours. The eye2 resurgence. You saw it here first, world. What's the XG stand for? Xtra Good?
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    Are they making these new in AZ??? Pretty cool stuff. John Solhiem must either be a GR member or a friend of yours. The eye2 resurgence. You saw it here first, world. What's the XG stand for? Xtra Good?
    For me it stands for x-cited and giddy!

To me, it would be cool if they kept the traditional lofts. Do a total throwback thing.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

FD,

I've known a few Ping players over the years, and some of them were very low markers, and the one thing they al had in common was the Eye 2 wedges in the bag, even if they had updated the rest of the set. A Penants player off about 2 I caddied for a few years back had the Eye 2 lob wedge even though he got rid of the Eye 2 irons years before, and some of the shots he could play with that baby were outof this world. The guy was a pretty average wedge player too, later on he dropped it out of the bag for a few months and his chiping went to crap. He put it back in and was knocking down flags aain. I will be very interested in testing ut these new wedges.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Now, this is a good start. But.. the Eye 2 is a simple enough shape... shouldn't they be planning a FORGED Eye 2?
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

i would imagine that the XG's have conforming grooves for the 2011 season...

Quote Originally Posted by pingman360
    i would imagine that the XG's have conforming grooves for the 2011 season...
    I would think a man of your stature in the golfing community should already know the answer to this. The whole point of reintroducing the Ping Eye 2 in the XG series is to have the same club but with conforming grooves, along with a sexy new look.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    FD,

I've known a few Ping players over the years, and some of them were very low markers, and the one thing they al had in common was the Eye 2 wedges in the bag, even if they had updated the rest of the set. A Penants player off about 2 I caddied for a few years back had the Eye 2 lob wedge even though he got rid of the Eye 2 irons years before, and some of the shots he could play with that baby were outof this world. The guy was a pretty average wedge player too, later on he dropped it out of the bag for a few months and his chiping went to crap. He put it back in and was knocking down flags aain. I will be very interested in testing ut these new wedges.
    A person I know who is 70 years old has used the Ping Eye 2 BeCu SW for about 23 years now. He is the best at pitching the ball that I have ever seen from inside 40 yards. I have played with a few guys that went out for the PGA tour and he is better than them at this shot. It is beyond frustrating to play a match against him. He's just as you described in that he has all new club except for that one wedge.

I thought the whole point, and one you made with me recently, behind playing the PING Eye 2 irons was to play the ones with the "square grooves?" I have the PING Eye 2+, which to my understanding, are NOT the square grooves. Correct? So, if you are getting so excited about a set of POS wedges (I hate my PING Eye 2 wedges) that are conforming, why don't you just go buy the PING Eye 2+ wedges?
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    I thought the whole point, and one you made with me recently, behind playing the PING Eye 2 irons was to play the ones with the "square grooves?" I have the PING Eye 2+, which to my understanding, are NOT the square grooves. Correct? So, if you are getting so excited about a set of POS wedges (I hate my PING Eye 2 wedges) that are conforming, why don't you just go buy the PING Eye 2+ wedges?
    OK, let me explain this to you in the most simple terms. I like the Ping Eye 2 Square Groove irons because of the shape and size of the head, not because they have square grooves. I describe them as the "square groove" model to differentiate them between the Ping Eye 2+.

The new Ping Eye 2 XG wedges have the same shape head as the original Ping Eye 2. By the way...the X stands for 10 and the G is for grooves. Moving along....the Ping Eye 2+ has a slightly larger head, a more contoured sole and more weight out toward the toe of the iron. You can see this if you put both heads next to one another. The Ping Eye 2+ has more of the perimeter weighting out toward the toe. This, of course, causes one to draw the ball.

The biggest difference between the Ping Eye 2+ and regular Ping Eye 2 is in the wedges. I think the original Eye 2 wedges are far superior looking to the Ping Eye 2+ which look very bulky to me. In addition, the Eye 2+ SW is 53 degrees and the LW is 58 degree. The original Eye 2 SW is 57 degrees and the LW is 61 degrees. The new XG wedges will have the same lofts of approximately 57 and 61.

That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    OK, let me explain this to you in the most simple terms. I like the Ping Eye 2 Square Groove irons because of the shape and size of the head, not because they have square grooves. I describe them as the "square groove" model to differentiate them between the Ping Eye 2+.

The new Ping Eye 2 XG wedges have the same shape head as the original Ping Eye 2. By the way...the X stands for 10 and the G is for grooves. Moving along....the Ping Eye 2+ has a slightly larger head, a more contoured sole and more weight out toward the toe of the iron. You can see this if you put both heads next to one another. The Ping Eye 2+ has more of the perimeter weighting out toward the toe. This, of course, causes one to draw the ball.

The biggest difference between the Ping Eye 2+ and regular Ping Eye 2 is in the wedges. I think the original Eye 2 wedges are far superior looking to the Ping Eye 2+ which look very bulky to me. In addition, the Eye 2+ SW is 53 degrees and the LW is 58 degree. The original Eye 2 SW is 57 degrees and the LW is 61 degrees. The new XG wedges will have the same lofts of approximately 57 and 61.

That is all.
    Superbly written but unfortunately pearls before swine. Sooner wouldnt play Ping even if they GUARANTEED him shooting par. In all fairness when Mizuno can produce a gross 97 why change!

THAT is all

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    Superbly written but unfortunately pearls before swine. Sooner wouldnt play Ping even if they GUARANTEED him shooting par. In all fairness when Mizuno can produce a gross 97 why change!

THAT is all

Edgey
    BTW, I found a great golf store for Ping equipment. It's called GPPGolf and they have a lot of older model Ping equipment that is brand new. Tons of Rapture irons.

BTW, I found a great golf store for Ping equipment. It's called GPPGolf and they have a lot of older model Ping equipment that is brand new. Tons of Rapture irons.
    Just got off the course having shot a 77 again (with 2 three putts!)

PING K15 playing my best

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    Just got off the course having shot a 77 again (with 2 three putts!)

PING K15 playing my best

Edgey
    Good round! Sounds like you need to look at one of the new Ping putters.

Good round! Sounds like you need to look at one of the new Ping putters.
    I have been using a Heavy Putter due to the slow greens BUT they cut them again and the speed caught me out. I am actually an Odyssey guy. I really like the Black i series putters. I am looking for a #7 Fang on e bay.

Edgey

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    Now, this is a good start. But.. the Eye 2 is a simple enough shape... shouldn't they be planning a FORGED Eye 2?
    I'm surprised I missed this. A forged Eye 2 would go against everything Ping stands for. Ping makes equipment that works. It's not marketed toward the poser. Maybe the oriental market will get a forged model.

Thread Information