|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Is the system of giving shots in Matchplay Wrong?

This is something I have thought about and wonder what everybody else's view is on the subject.

Let's take a simple example of a 9 handicap vs an 18 handicap.

In normal matchplay the 9 handicap has to give the 18 handicap a shot on the 9 toughest holes on the course. To me this doesn't really make sense. On those 9 holes both golfers are expected to bogie the holes if they play to their handicap. The 9 easiest holes on the course are where the 9 handicap is expected to make par whereas the 18 handicap is still expected to make bogie. So shouldn't those be the holes where the lower cap gives shots?

Sometimes during a normal medal round we will have a matchplay side bet and sometimes we play normal matchplay but other times we play it based on who gets the most stableford points on a hole. This is effectively giving shots on the easiest holes on the course as in the example above. To me this makes more sense.

I am curious to hear other golfers views on this?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I don't know how to figure out using handicaps in match play. That is why Dave and I never messed with it in our matches.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    This is something I have thought about and wonder what everybody else's view is on the subject.

In normal matchplay the 9 handicap has to give the 18 handicap a shot on the 9 toughest holes on the course. To me this doesn't really make sense. On those 9 holes both golfers are expected to bogie the holes if they play to their handicap. The 9 easiest holes on the course are where the 9 handicap is expected to make par whereas the 18 handicap is still expected to make bogie. So shouldn't those be the holes where the lower cap gives shots?

Sometimes during a normal medal round we will have a matchplay side bet and sometimes we play normal matchplay but other times we play it based on who gets the most stableford points on a hole. This is effectively giving shots on the easiest holes on the course as in the example above. To me this makes more sense.

I remember when I played 9-hole in a league after work handicap was given but NOT at par 3... he could birdie a hole for a -1 and a point given then he would get -2 for that hole, No, that's not acceptable... on par 4 and 5, the 9 handicap is expected to do better, so that's where points should be given, even so, I am not sure what is fair

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player

The toughest holes are supposed to be harder for less skilled players. So it makes sense. The handicap system doesn't track a players ability on any hole and high cappers are more likely to have big blowup holes. Low cappers by definition have figured out to scramble/manage their way out of these big numbers. That's why I think taking 80% of the HC is better than straight HC in matchplay. Your 9 will become a 7 and the 18 will become a 14. That's 7 pops, 4 on the front and 3 on the back. That's usually pretty fair.

I have never and will never play matches or skins unless the games are played at scratch, whether I am the low, high or whatever handicap. Medal play is different but being low gross is infinitely sweeter than low net.

I think you just follow the scorecard ratings... but sometimes they're not right, like if the easiest par 4 is a left dogleg but the player consistently hits left to right.. so difficulty rests as much with the player as with the anonymous raters on the scorecard.. in a case like that, the strokes are not going to be fairly given-- kind of like when Omen masturbates with his left hand...
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Thread Information