|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

How do you putt with a PING putter?

Hello all,

For years I have been trying to putt with a PING putter. I just got an old PING PAL 4 with black finish. I have always been a bulls eye style forged blade putter user. I use forged blades for my irons but I have started to putt right handed and left handed. Right handed for long putts and left handed for short putts. I have been more successful doing that than right handed 100% of the time.

Now I throw in a PING putter to monkey wrench my putting. What is the deal with these? Is it made to make putting easier? Where is the forgiveness? I have never understood the feel of a ping putter. I am used to the soft feel of a bulls eye. I am not one for inserts and this is not one with an insert. This putter that I have is an old school Colin Montgomerie, Frank Nobilo, Craig Parry style putter. Maybe Billy Mayfair too, not sure. How is a Ping putter supposed to have feel? Is the light weight supposed to help too?

I just don't understand the appeal of these putters. Every one on tour has a Ping style putter, whether it is a scotty cameron or odyssey.

Are you supposed to hit the ball at the equator or above the equator?

Herb Sewell

Maybe 30 years ago there was a guy in our foursome who was a good player--better than me, my friend and his friend. This guy had a Ping putter--first one I'd ever seen--and every time he hit a putt, it would make a ringing sound the tone and amplitude of which changed according to the force with which he hit the putt. Anyway, he must of made 9 or 10 15 to 20 footers for birdies and pars and on those putts, the sound was louder and sweeter than the others. It was then that I realized that this putter was designed so that its user could hone his putting stroke by both feel and by ear. Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by herbsewell
    Hello all,

For years I have been trying to putt with a PING putter. I just got an old PING PAL 4 with black finish. I have always been a bulls eye style forged blade putter user. I use forged blades for my irons but I have started to putt right handed and left handed. Right handed for long putts and left handed for short putts. I have been more successful doing that than right handed 100% of the time.

Now I throw in a PING putter to monkey wrench my putting. What is the deal with these? Is it made to make putting easier? Where is the forgiveness? I have never understood the feel of a ping putter. I am used to the soft feel of a bulls eye. I am not one for inserts and this is not one with an insert. This putter that I have is an old school Colin Montgomerie, Frank Nobilo, Craig Parry style putter. Maybe Billy Mayfair too, not sure. How is a Ping putter supposed to have feel? Is the light weight supposed to help too?

I just don't understand the appeal of these putters. Every one on tour has a Ping style putter, whether it is a scotty cameron or odyssey.

Are you supposed to hit the ball at the equator or above the equator?

Easy...Tiger won 70 times in the last 14 years with an Anser style putter...People like to mimic what the greats are using.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

I have found that the old brass bullseye style putters are just as good as anything else. I have an old H&B brass that is a dream. However, I do not use them unless I am using a really old classic set of irons just for kicks. I like the enduring confidence I get with the Ping Zing II putter. I find Pings with inserts just simply inacurate. As far as feel...I find that for me feel does not translate to accuracy as far as putters. At the PGA store I have tried some new crappy feel Odyssey Mallets and find them very accurate with little feel. 15 foot putts in or within inches all the time. After these demos I have now started using my old Odyssey Rossie with the black insert again and have shelved all my others for now although the Ping Zing is just as good. Every time I demo something it just re-enforces my reasons for keeping my old stuff in the bag.
    ... a tree branch, or my foot.

Quote Originally Posted by jetdriver
    I have found that the old brass bullseye style putters are just as good as anything else. I have an old H&B brass that is a dream. However, I do not use them unless I am using a really old classic set of irons just for kicks. I like the enduring confidence I get with the Ping Zing II putter. I find Pings with inserts just simply inacurate. As far as feel...I find that for me feel does not translate to accuracy as far as putters. At the PGA store I have tried some new crappy feel Odyssey Mallets and find them very accurate with little feel. 15 foot putts in or within inches all the time. After these demos I have now started using my old Odyssey Rossie with the black insert again and have shelved all my others for now although the Ping Zing is just as good. Every time I demo something it just re-enforces my reasons for keeping my old stuff in the bag.
    I had the Ping Zing 2 copper version and I wish I had never gotten rid of it. Just to show you that the price of a putter means nothing, the other day I tried out an Odyssey Tour Design Black putter ($279 retail) and it had absolutely no feel to it and I literally felt like I couldn't putt with it. I never liked the Anser model with offset but that's clearly the most popular model.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I had the Ping Zing 2 copper version and I wish I had never gotten rid of it. Just to show you that the price of a putter means nothing, the other day I tried out an Odyssey Tour Design Black putter ($279 retail) and it had absolutely no feel to it and I literally felt like I couldn't putt with it. I never liked the Anser model with offset but that's clearly the most popular model.
    Yeap! They are very good. I have the B.Copper and the Stainless one as well and have tried them side by side. I find that the Stainless is actually better by a small yet detectable margin.
    ... a tree branch, or my foot.

I just tried a new PING 1A putter and it feels really good. It putts well right handed and left handed. The sound really helps too. My distance on each putt was much more consistent than the other PING that I am using. My accuracy was better too. The sound really does help me hone my distance on long and short putts. On long putts I was no more than 5 feet away on every hole, accept for the ones that I made. These putters are 90.00 new at the course that I tried it at. Ebay is not much cheaper. But I think I may give this a try. Thanks.
    Herb Sewell

In response to the thread title, I'm going to go with:

hold it by the skinny end and hit the ball with the part that looks like a hammer.

YOU'RE WELCOME.

[QUOTE=Yaz1975]In response to the thread title, I'm going to go with:

hold it by the skinny end and hit the ball with the part that looks like a hammer.

YOU'RE WELCOME.[/QUOT

A hammer wouldn't help me any.
    Herb Sewell

The question reminds me of the old joke. "How do you get a nun pregnant"? Just phuck her like any other woman.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz1975
    In response to the thread title, I'm going to go with:

YOU'RE WELCOME.
    I was a little confused by the title because it could be interpreted in several ways. The first interpretation could be that he's asking for instruction on how to hit a Ping putter. The second interpretation could be his asking for feedback on our own experience with a Ping putter and how we fared with it.

So, to that end, I will answer both. First, putt with it like you normally would. Second, great.

Thread Information