|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Question Should wedge shafts match the iron set shafts?

I just picked up a new set of Taylor Made RAC HTs (graphite shafts) on E-Bay (3-PW). Got them yesterday and can't wait to get out on a course and hit them. Was fitted in a golf store and got sticker shock when I saw the set for $899. Won a bid for $450. I would like to get a few wedges (not necessarily Taylor Made) to complete my new set. Based on what I have read here I'm probably going to start with a new gap (50 degree) and sand wedge (55 degree). My PW is 45 degrees.
    I have an old steel shafted sand wedge and a Carbite wedge that I had been using, but think it's time to retire them as well. Should I be looking at graphite shafts for both of the wedges as well? I read somewhere not to get a graphite sand wedge. Is that true?

Thanks,
    Wally

Don't think it makes a whole hell of alot of difference but if you're splitting hairs...

Wedges shafts can be or are supposed to be a touch flexier than your regular iron set. Since it's a touch club and you don't hit it 100% effort most of the time, the extra flex is not supposed to hurt it's accuracy but at the same time help get the ball up faster. Now I don't know how that translates to you having graphite shafts on your 3 thru PW set and steel on your wedges 'cos that's comparing apples to oranges. But if you were to drop some cash and reshaft the whole kit 'n kaboodle, then that's how you're supposed to set it up.

For the record I have Rifle 6.0s on 3-PW and Rifle Spinner 5.5s on my GW and SW.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by LBCGolf
    Don't think it makes a whole hell of alot of difference but if you're splitting hairs...

Wedges shafts can be or are supposed to be a touch flexier than your regular iron set. Since it's a touch club and you don't hit it 100% effort most of the time, the extra flex is not supposed to hurt it's accuracy but at the same time help get the ball up faster. Now I don't know how that translates to you having graphite shafts on your 3 thru PW set and steel on your wedges 'cos that's comparing apples to oranges. But if you were to drop some cash and reshaft the whole kit 'n kaboodle, then that's how you're supposed to set it up.

For the record I have Rifle 6.0s on 3-PW and Rifle Spinner 5.5s on my GW and SW.
    Thanks LBC. What you said makes sense. The set I bought had the standard TM graphite shafts (regular flex) so I'll probably stay with graphite. I'm surprised no one else has chimed in on this one. I guess if a regular started it it would be different.

Thanks again,
    Wally

I love wedges

For me i prefer steel wedges as i can 'feel' the ball more and whether it be psychologial or otherwise i seem to have more control over my shot, its probably a preference thing leading to confidence.

I do however like the idea of having a matching set of clubs in terms of shafts so i have by choice all steels in my set including the woods (which i still havnt practiced much yet)

I honestly think its a personal thing and probably theres not alot of difference in performance with graphite or steel wedges, if you play with a full set of graphites then go graphites, the club wont look different which in turn maybe what put me off when i used a graphite wedge in terms of concentration... the club looked different so i played it different... dunno if that makes sense to you or not... were all different i suppose.

Thread Information