|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

What were your best clubs this year?

After taking a solid look at my play over the last year, these were the best clubs for my game and the ones that performed the best:

Driver: Callaway Hyper X Tour Driver, 8.5 Degree with stock Fujikura 360 Stiff shaft.
    3 Wood: Callaway Steelhead 3+ wood, RCH 99 Graphite Firm.
    Cobra DWS Baffler 18 Degree with stock "made for cobra" Aldila NV stiff.
    Irons: Callaway 2002 Big Bertha Irons 3-10, W
    SW: Ping Eye 2 SW
    Putter: Ping Ally 2

If someone told me they'd give me $1,000,000 if I could break 80 I would choose the clubs above. The Callaway 2002 Big Bertha irons were the only ones this year that made me say "wow, what a difference". I never hit so many good long irons before. I don't know why I let them go but I'll get them back soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    After taking a solid look at my play over the last year, these were the best clubs for my game and the ones that performed the best:

Driver: Callaway Hyper X Tour Driver, 8.5 Degree with stock Fujikura 360 Stiff shaft.

If someone told me they'd give me $1,000,000 if I could break 80 I would choose the clubs above. The Callaway 2002 Big Bertha irons were the only ones this year that made me say "wow, what a difference". I never hit so many good long irons before. I don't know why I let them go but I'll get them back soon enough.
    Well, we all know which is the best driver for me, dammmit.. :-)

HiBore XL Tour 9.5* with V2 in X flex, 46".

and I have to admit both the gaybrids would be in my bag.. 16* and 19* .. as much as I hit gaybrids off the tee, I need both lengths, the 205 and the 220, and I can choke down on the 19* to hit it a reliable 195 as well, so no need for three iron.

I tried out a 64* wedge and liked what it did around the green, but in the end I decided I needed the longer clubs more, and the CG12 at 58* got the job done...

so my sig is the real deal in this thread.

Berthas? Really? 2002? Better than the Eye 2?
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Driver: Callaway Great Big Birtha 11*, R-flex stock OEM shaft ... TEE 10.5* backup
    3-W : TEE CB1 16*?, Aldila NV R-flex 65-g
    5-W : Callaway squarehead FT-i 18*, OEM Fuji Fit-on M R-shaft... my go-to club
    2-H : Nike Sumo square, OEM R-flex shaft
    3-H : Adams OS Tech OEM R-flex
    4-H : Adams OS Tech OEM R-flex
    6-PW : Callay 2002 BB, R-flex OEM shaft, 75-g constant wt
    GW : Callay 2002 BB ... backup: laJolla Knife , R-flex steel shaft
    SW : TaylorMade RAC ... 56*

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    Driver: Callaway Great Big Birtha 11*, R-flex stock OEM shaft ... TEE 10.5* backup
    3-W : TEE CB1 16*?, Aldila NV R-flex 65-g
    5-W : Callaway squarehead FT-i 18*, OEM Fuji Fit-on M R-shaft... my go-to club
    2-H : Nike Sumo square, OEM R-flex shaft
    3-H : Adams OS Tech OEM R-flex
    4-H : Adams OS Tech OEM R-flex
    6-PW : Callay 2002 BB, R-flex OEM shaft, 75-g constant wt
    GW : Callay 2002 BB ... backup: laJolla Knife , R-flex steel shaft
    SW : TaylorMade RAC ... 56*
    Which of those clubs do you putt with?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Which of those clubs do you putt with?
    My famous putter is the wonderful "Ram Zebra" , cut it to 32" and installed a Winn fat grip... the rest is history

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Switching to a Yes putter was good move for me. They roll so true. The ping eye 2 becu wedges were a pleasant surprise. My Mizuno mx 23 irons are amazing, but I came to the realization that any old iron, will do the job. My driver is a constant battle, and toward the last of are season, I noticed the annoying noise my driver, and everybody elses make. I recently purchased a older r580 taylormade. It sure is pleasing to the ears. My latest driver is a Tourstage that was almost a 1,000 dollar club new a couple years ago. I hope its quiet and long, it sure is pretty.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

I won't bore you with my whole bag as most of it hasn't changed in over 2 years, but as for new stuff this year which worked out I will nominate my Titty 905R Aldila NV 65 stiff. I tried quite a few drivers this year, all of which were good, but this one had that little extra. The NV shaft is a better fit for my over 40 body than the Pershing 75 stiff and VS Proto 70 stiff which are in my other drivers, but regardless of shaft the 905R just feels better all round. I love the way it looks at set up, I love the weight and balance, and I love the purity of feeling from the strike. As much as I love every club in the bag now, I would probably have to say that the Titty is the highest quality club in the bag. Closely followed by the Bettinardi putter.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

905R 9.5* after replacing YS-6+ Stiff with V2 75 g. regular, I've reached spots in some fairways on familiar holes I've never been to before.

Mizuno MP-14 3-PW--first forged blades in 20 years. Just pulled the factory DG S300's out and just got a set of new pullout Dynalite Gold SL S300's to install in preparation for Florida in 2 or 3 months. I'm going to do a home-made spine and flo and MOI/swingweight match those dudes. I can't believe how pure that old Mizuno steel is. After two minutes each under the propane torch, not a smidgeon of bluing or any scorch marks.

Srixon Z (the yellowish one). Due to advancing age and retreating eyesite, the only one I can see in flight. Buzzes like a banshee off well struck irons, too, and stops were it drops.

Ray Cook blade type. Beats the feces out of the Bullseye and will be better once I inbed an 80 gram carriage bolt through the grip cap.

Wedges---meh?

Same as it was when the season began. I am still in the experimental phase with 4 wedges (including the PW), so I'm not 100% on the bag config, but...
    2007 TM Burner
    Cally GBB2 3 wood
    Titty 985H 19* gaybrid
    GFF Mizuno MP32 3-pw
    54 and 60 Cleveland CG12
    Odyssey bat signal putter
    Cally Tour iX ball
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

For me, it would have to be the D3 with the Rombax shaft. I like my irons, but not much more than some others, same comment on my other gear. But I don't know that there's a reasonable substitute for the D3, other than perhaps NAH's R.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    For me, it would have to be the D3 with the Rombax shaft. I like my irons, but not much more than some others, same comment on my other gear. But I don't know that there's a reasonable substitute for the D3, other than perhaps NAH's R.
    What loft do you have on the D3? That's one of the best looking drivers I've seen and I could be mistaken but I thought it was smaller in cc's than the others.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I'd guess the D3 is slightly less forgiving than the R, right? I'm just going on the fact the D3 is the deep faced, 430cc players model. From the 909 range I owuld think the D2 is the closest to the R.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel
    905R 9.5* after replacing YS-6+ Stiff with V2 75 g. regular, I've reached spots in some fairways on familiar holes I've never been to before.

Mizuno MP-14 3-PW--first forged blades in 20 years. Just pulled the factory DG S300's out and just got a set of new pullout Dynalite Gold SL S300's to install in preparation for Florida in 2 or 3 months. I'm going to do a home-made spine and flo and MOI/swingweight match those dudes. I can't believe how pure that old Mizuno steel is. After two minutes each under the propane torch, not a smidgeon of bluing or any scorch marks.

Srixon Z (the yellowish one). Due to advancing age and retreating eyesite, the only one I can see in flight. Buzzes like a banshee off well struck irons, too, and stops were it drops.Ray Cook blade type. Beats the feces out of the Bullseye and will be better once I inbed an 80 gram carriage bolt through the grip cap.

Wedges---meh?
    I just bought 4 dozen Wilson Dx3s which were going for an absolute song, and have half a dozen Wilson FG Tours, so I'm not really in the market for golf balls, but I've finally found a place that has the yellow Z Stars so next time I play there I'm gonna get a sleeve of them. I just can't resist the opoortunity to play with a yellow ball again. I haven't done that since the early 80s. I'll probably keep them for very special occassions like playing in the vardon events (our top flight amatuer tourneys on tricked up championship courses). I want to see the look on the ProV1 snob's faces when they see a yellow ball.

Hi

My Bag has been pretty settled this year

Ping K15 Driver
    Nike SQ Thriver
    Ping K15 Irons
    Lovett Wedges
    Odyssey TA 2-Ball

Played a lot of golf this year but suspect i will be a little more limited next year.

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    Hi

Ping K15 Driver
    Nike SQ Thriver
    Ping K15 Irons
    Lovett Wedges
    Odyssey TA 2-Ball

Played a lot of golf this year but suspect i will be a little more limited next year.

Edgey
    Where are your gaybrids? Are they included in the K15 iron set?

Now where the f#ck am I?

My bag hasn't had too many changes this year. The TM v steel 5 wood is a keeper. 905r and sonartec 3 wood have been in all year. Best irons have probably been the mx 300's. But I have also enjoyed playing the eye 2's and the Maxfli A10 tours. Favorite wedges are probably my TM wedges, my 52 gw is great, sw is ok and when I bag a lobby it would be the Eidolon. Best putter for the year would be a 2 ball copy.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Tm r7 limited edition driver. First 9.5* driver with reg shaft that i have had. Took the 1 gram weight out of the heel and put a 12 gram in. Feels and sounds great and picked up a good 15-20 metres over previous drivers which were all 10.5* with stiff shafts. Only tried the 9.5 reg combo because i read somewhere that a test was carried out and players with average swing speeds got better distance (both carry and roll) with that compared to 10.5 stiff combo, and sure enough it worked for me. Changed irons for the first time in a couple of years to the mp 52's and it will take something special to remove them from the bag. Also changed putters for the first time in 3 or 4 years, going from a large mallet to a small one (see sig) which has some offset and now i hardly ever push putts to the right. Only thing i'm disappointed with is since i have got used to hitting hybrids i can't hit my 3 wood for shite(just hit pop ups) - so i'm on the lookout for a 15 or 16* hybrid.
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

$1m to break 80?? Gimme a set of Wilson Sam Sneads or even Patty Bergs lol

Like others I won't bore you with my whole bag (you can see it below anyway) but my best purchase of the year was probably the Taylormade Rossa Corza Ghost putter with a winn Taylormade Jumbo grip on. Absolutely the best weighted putter I have ever picked up and rolls straight off the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    I just bought 4 dozen Wilson Dx3s which were going for an absolute song, and have half a dozen Wilson FG Tours, so I'm not really in the market for golf balls, but I've finally found a place that has the yellow Z Stars so next time I play there I'm gonna get a sleeve of them. I just can't resist the opoortunity to play with a yellow ball again. I haven't done that since the early 80s. I'll probably keep them for very special occassions like playing in the vardon events (our top flight amatuer tourneys on tricked up championship courses). I want to see the look on the ProV1 snob's faces when they see a yellow ball.
    I picked up two dozen Yellow Z-Stars for $30 each... not a bad price for a premium ball... can't wait to try them out.. I was a big fan of the Z-URC that Furyk played for a bit, a real spinner and soft feeling... I might have given up a couple of yards in distance but not that I noticed.. I'd have bought the Z Star X but they didn't have them in yellow..

anyone remember the Ping balls that were half yellow and half pink?
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    I picked up two dozen Yellow Z-Stars for $30 each... not a bad price for a premium ball... can't wait to try them out.. I was a big fan of the Z-URC that Furyk played for a bit, a real spinner and soft feeling... I might have given up a couple of yards in distance but not that I noticed.. I'd have bought the Z Star X but they didn't have them in yellow..

I certainly do remember those PING balls... though I am pretty sure that I never played one!!

I have the orange AD333s but only for over the winter and for a laugh! I played (was given to try) the Srixon Z Star X for a few rounds this year. I didn't like them all that much. I can't put my finger on it but I just didn't feel as confident on pitches etc as I do with Prov1x.

This is how I started the season and am ending the season. We all know about my 2 month experiment in between with the Ping Eye 2 irons, which are no longer in my possession.

Mizuno MX-700 driver for hitting into the wind (10.5*)
    NIKE Sasquatch 16* Thriver
    Mizuno 17* hybrid
    Mizuno 26* hybrid
    Mizuno MP-67 irons (5-PW currently)
    Mizuno 56* Wedge
    Cleveland Niblick
    Mizuno Bettinardi Putter

I play Prov 1 in the cold months and Prov 1X in the warm months.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by Pottsy

I certainly do remember those PING balls... though I am pretty sure that I never played one!!

I have the orange AD333s but only for over the winter and for a laugh! I played (was given to try) the Srixon Z Star X for a few rounds this year. I didn't like them all that much. I can't put my finger on it but I just didn't feel as confident on pitches etc as I do with Prov1x.
    I've seen a purple and yellow Ping Eye 2 golf ball in new condition go for $80 on Ebay. That's simply a matter of them being rare but I can't imagine anyone buying them while they were out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pottsy

Orange AD333's? Wow! I love those balls better than the Z Stars or Pro V's or anything and if they made them in yellow, those are what I'd buy. Hopefully they'll come to the USA. Years ago there was a PGA player or two who used orange balls. Due to the electronic characteristics of TV signals, the balls looked like they were baseballs in flight. Real easy to track.

Orange AD333's? Wow! I love those balls better than the Z Stars or Pro V's or anything and if they made them in yellow, those are what I'd buy. Hopefully they'll come to the USA. Years ago there was a PGA player or two who used orange balls. Due to the electronic characteristics of TV signals, the balls looked like they were baseballs in flight. Real easy to track.
    I remember when the orange and yellow balls were pretty popular in the early nineties. I thought they would be easier to find than white balls but found them just as hard to spot from a distance. The advantage these days is that they are pretty uncommon meaning no other schmuck will accidentally hit your ball and vice versa.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Same as it was when the season began. I am still in the experimental phase with 4 wedges (including the PW), so I'm not 100% on the bag config, but...
    2007 TM Burner
    Cally GBB2 3 wood
    Titty 985H 19* gaybrid
    GFF Mizuno MP32 3-pw
    54 and 60 Cleveland CG12
    Odyssey bat signal putter
    Cally Tour iX ball
    How is that working out for you?

The only change to my bag this year was a couple of new gaybrids.I am always toying with the idea of going back to the 4 wedges and the new gaybrids were purchased with that in mind as they gave me different loft options to my old clubs.

I tried:

Driver
    3 wood 15*
    Gaybrid 20.5*
    4-PW
    Wedges 52*,56*, 60*
    Putter

Or

Driver
    3 wood 15*
    Gaybrids 18* & 23*
    5-PW
    Wedges 52*,56*, 60*
    Putter

In the end I decided I didn't like either setup (hate gaps at the long end of the bag) and ended up going back to 2 specialist wedges + PW. Basically back to where I started:

Driver
    3 wood 15*
    Gaybrids 18* & 20.5*
    4-PW
    Wedges 52*, 58*
    Putter

Now where the f#ck am I?

What loft do you have on the D3? That's one of the best looking drivers I've seen and I could be mistaken but I thought it was smaller in cc's than the others.
    I have the 9.5, but particularly with this driver it's important to factor the shaft and head loft together. It's a pretty low spin head. So the shaft may need a little more height and possibly spin than might otherwise be the case.

There's also a normal .5 degree manufacturing tolerance. Which means if you want, you can order direct from Titleist and get a 9.0 or a 9.5. Mine's dead on at 9.5. Same variations exist btw relative to open/neutral/closed.

It's interesting that if you call Titleist and ask if there are variations like this they'll say no. But if you have a pro order for you and request something other than stated specs, they'll comply.
    GR lives...

I'd guess the D3 is slightly less forgiving than the R, right? I'm just going on the fact the D3 is the deep faced, 430cc players model. From the 909 range I owuld think the D2 is the closest to the R.
    I'd agree with all that. For those of us who like to delude ourselves into thinking we should have a driver we can work both ways, it's a great option. But the most distinguishing thing for me with the D3 is roll. I haven't found anything else that gives me a medium high ball flight and good roll like this Rombax D3 combo. Then again, my ex-wife rolled me pretty good.
    GR lives...

I remember when the orange and yellow balls were pretty popular in the early nineties. I thought they would be easier to find than white balls but found them just as hard to spot from a distance. The advantage these days is that they are pretty uncommon meaning no other schmuck will accidentally hit your ball and vice versa.
    I wouldn't use them in the main season but they are pretty cool for winter golf and very cheap! £13 a dozen.

If somebody told me they would give me $1,000,000 if I could break 80 with my current clubs, I'd be $1,000,000 richer, and would buy everybody on the board a coffee capsule thingamagig for Christmas!!

My clubs haven't been changed for well over a year, and I have no intention of changing any in the near future:
    Driver; Epon EMB, Axiv-X shaft (that's a model designation, not the flex); sounds like an aluminum baseball bat hitting a stainless steel trash can, but it's long and dependably accurate, so I am not changing to satisfy the audiophiles
    4 wood; Tour Edge Exotics original fairway wood with a Fuji aftermarket shaft; dependable, long as most 3 woods, forgiving, and accurate
    Alpha Rx LoPro hybrid; True Temper Black Gold shaft; easy to hit, forgiving, accurate, neutrally weighted, square faced club; a dependable go to club; hits about as far as a typical 5 wood
    Scratch EZ-1 4-6 irons, Black Gold shafts; smooth, sweet player's cavity backs; predictable distances, relatively forgiving
    Scratch AR -1 7-PW, Black Gold shafts; also smooth, sweet feeling; muscle cavities; very good distance control and accuracy
    Scratch gap, sand, and lob wedges; I won't bore anybody with the details, but they have mixed bounces; progress from higher to lower bounces with increased loft in the series
    Heavy Putter B-1; haven't changed in several years; great performer

My club ho-ing days are done; I've found the promised land.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

I haven't changed much this year. I'm still liking my MX200s. I'm still liking the Eidolon 52/58 wedges. Still got the cobra dws 20* gaybrid. It might be 19*, I can't remember. The only new additions would be the Launcher 9.5*. I got a Odyssey White Hot Tour Rossie that I am planning on keeping in the bag, that I got toward the end of last season. I think I'm good equipment-wise until something wears out.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    I haven't changed much this year. I'm still liking my MX200s. I'm still liking the Eidolon 52/58 wedges. Still got the cobra dws 20* gaybrid. It might be 19*, I can't remember. The only new additions would be the Launcher 9.5*. I got a Odyssey White Hot Tour Rossie that I am planning on keeping in the bag, that I got toward the end of last season. I think I'm good equipment-wise until something wears out.
    The cobra dws is 20 degrees if it says "3" on it. Which Launcher do you have, the original 460, The 460 Ti or the newer one?

The Z-URC was a great ball. I didn't find it quite as soft as other premium balls, but for m me it was definitely as loong as any and spun it's tits off, the spinnniest ball on the market back then IMO. I think you will find the Z-Star superior to to the URC in feel, about the same in distance or maybe a touch less, and not quite as spinny but still good enough to get it to back up. For your ss the Z-Star X may be the better option, as they are longer than the Z-Star and spin more, but onlly if you have a swing speed approaching 110mph plus. I've tried the X and didn't quite get the most out of it with my swing, I need the regular Z-Star.

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    Hi

Ping K15 Driver
    Nike SQ Thriver
    Ping K15 Irons
    Lovett Wedges
    Odyssey TA 2-Ball

Edgey
    Edgey... what has happened to your 2002 BB Cally, jumped ship already, gain anything?

All my clubs in my bag are and where the best clubs Ive hit this year. All I can remember are some of the best shots Ive hit this year.
    EveryThing You Need To Know About The Game.

The Z-URC was a great ball. I didn't find it quite as soft as other premium balls, but for m me it was definitely as loong as any and spun it's tits off, the spinnniest ball on the market back then IMO. I think you will find the Z-Star superior to to the URC in feel, about the same in distance or maybe a touch less, and not quite as spinny but still good enough to get it to back up. For your ss the Z-Star X may be the better option, as they are longer than the Z-Star and spin more, but onlly if you have a swing speed approaching 110mph plus. I've tried the X and didn't quite get the most out of it with my swing, I need the regular Z-Star.
    Great news, as today I did find a couple dozen Z Star X's in yellow. :-) Now I have both models, in yellow, to compare.

My driver speed, at last measurement, was between 112 and 114, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's fallen off in the past year or two.. but not by much.. I can still carry it 265 or so.. but I"m gettin' old fast.. :-(
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Great news, as today I did find a couple dozen Z Star X's in yellow. :-) Now I have both models, in yellow, to compare.

My driver speed, at last measurement, was between 112 and 114, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's fallen off in the past year or two.. but not by much.. I can still carry it 265 or so.. but I"m gettin' old fast.. :-(
    I would agree that you're probably carrying 265.

I've noticed most of the Srixon Tour players are using the X so I will be interested to hear your review. As I said I'm set with Wilsons for the forseeable future, but I sill need a gamer for special occassions, and the Z Star has been my favourite ball for a couple years now.

The cobra dws is 20 degrees if it says "3" on it. Which Launcher do you have, the original 460, The 460 Ti or the newer one?
    I honestly don't know, FD. It was an eBay purchase. I have a Ti460 that I bought new in 2006. It was an 11.5* R flex that I have since shortened to 43.5" thus converting it into a brassie. The new(to me) Launcher is 9.5*. It is not the Ti460. It came with a gold fujikura shaft, if that is any indication. It looks newer that the Ti460. They should put the year on the clubhead. I think the Launcher is the best and most underrated driver out there. Now I'm just rambling. I was born a ramblin' man.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    I honestly don't know, FD. It was an eBay purchase. I have a Ti460 that I bought new in 2006. It was an 11.5* R flex that I have since shortened to 43.5" thus converting it into a brassie. The new(to me) Launcher is 9.5*. It is not the Ti460. It came with a gold fujikura shaft, if that is any indication. It looks newer that the Ti460. They should put the year on the clubhead. I think the Launcher is the best and most underrated driver out there. Now I'm just rambling. I was born a ramblin' man.
    The golf fujikura came with the original Launcher 460. The 460 Ti came after that one and had a dark blue shaft. Then they came out with a squatty, wide looking launcher that didn't sell well at all. Now, they have the launcher DST. I'm just doin' the best I can..

Edgey... what has happened to your 2002 BB Cally, jumped ship already, gain anything?
    Still have the BB2002 (always will)

Been using K15 for most of year, handicap has tumbled back to 8.5

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Where are your gaybrids? Are they included in the K15 iron set?
    Gaybrids are part of the K15 set (4 & 5)

They are money

Edgey

I've seen a purple and yellow Ping Eye 2 golf ball in new condition go for $80 on Ebay. That's simply a matter of them being rare but I can't imagine anyone buying them while they were out.
    My kids have a collection of multicolor ping balls. Some are very expensive. I got them almost 10 years ago and did not know that they were worth anything and thus hit a handfull out into the woods one day just to see if they were any good. I know that is how I lost one (silver and blue/purple) or something that I was told would sell for 2-3 hundred bucks. They still have a fair selection put away. They are nice kind of like pro v1s.
    ... a tree branch, or my foot.

I would agree that you're probably carrying 265.
    Pounds or yards? There's no way DavePerkins is under 3 bills.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

How is that working out for you?

Putter
    It's crazy but I think it's a worse option. I tried ditching the 3 iron, adding a wedge, and changing hybrid from 19 to 21 degrees. I hate the 21 degree hybrid for some reason. I've also really been missing the 3 iron lately since it's it's been wet and cold out.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

It's crazy but I think it's a worse option. I tried ditching the 3 iron, adding a wedge, and changing hybrid from 19 to 21 degrees. I hate the 21 degree hybrid for some reason. I've also really been missing the 3 iron lately since it's it's been wet and cold out.
    Come on Horseballs. I feel that you haven't given this a serious chance. You must 'empty your cup' of your preconceived ideas and also throw out the 4 iron and 6 iron and add two more wedges. This is what Dave Pelz would want.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Come on Horseballs. I feel that you haven't given this a serious chance. You must 'empty your cup' of your preconceived ideas and also throw out the 4 iron and 6 iron and add two more wedges. This is what Dave Pelz would want.
    Nothing beats the feeling of crushing a hybrid 20 yards long and left of green. I agree that it's probably time for me to abandon those boring mid-long irons that always go a consistent distance.
    Plus, I've still got 10+ yards of gap between my wedges. I need to tighten this up to a maximum of 3 yards.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Nothing beats the feeling of crushing a hybrid 20 yards long and left of green. I agree that it's probably time for me to abandon those boring mid-long irons that always go a consistent distance.
    Plus, I've still got 10+ yards of gap between my wedges. I need to tighten this up to a maximum of 3 yards.
    Now you are on the right track.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I have a Cobra Baffler DWS 2 hybrid and 4 hybrid. The 2 is 18 degrees and the 4 is 23 degrees. I can hit the 2 up to 220 yards but the 4 goes about 190 on average and so I think I'm going to get the 3 hybrid at 20 degrees and get rid of the other two. I really want a club that goes between 200 and 210 as a hybrid.

Like you, I like to keep a 3 iron in my bag for long Par 3's. Plus, I hate hitting hybrid off the tee.

I have a Cobra Baffler DWS 2 hybrid and 4 hybrid. The 2 is 18 degrees and the 4 is 23 degrees. I can hit the 2 up to 220 yards but the 4 goes about 190 on average and so I think I'm going to get the 3 hybrid at 20 degrees and get rid of the other two. I really want a club that goes between 200 and 210 as a hybrid.

Like you, I like to keep a 3 iron in my bag for long Par 3's. Plus, I hate hitting hybrid off the tee.
    Belated congrats on the 4,000 posts. You may have set a record for the quickest to get to 4,000. I'd better watch my back if your strike rate continues at this rate.

Boy, you hit that one on the head. Played my first stroke play tourney this past August and after tanking the event in the first 5 holes, came to the tee of #8, a 185 yd par 3 with the pin, as all the pins were that day, tucked in the back left about 3 paces from the froggy hair. Water left, steep slope up and woods/vines/poison ivy-oak-sumac to the right. Not having hit a decent iron except for PW and 9, I pulled my trusty Cobra Baffler 19* 3-hybrid and hit the most beautiful boring cruise missile stinger that left my yellow Sir Rickisan ball mark about an inch left of the hole and hopped over the green and down a slope of close-mown rough (the only mown rough on the freaking course that morning) that came to rest 30 feet below the putting surface around the hole. Triple bogey. Boy, that shot felt nothing but pure and looked like Ace until it hit earth.

My best club was my FT5 YS6 combo until a 12 year old broke it.

Now? I hit a mean 3/4 3 yard draw 9 iron..
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic
    My best club was my FT5 YS6 combo until a 12 year old broke it.

Now? I hit a mean 3/4 3 yard draw 9 iron..
    If you like that much then why not replace it with a pulled shaft? How does the YS6 shaft compared to say Aldila NV or NVS shaft?

You know actually its the found in the beanfield hybrid. I hit the prettiest 200 hundred yard fade with that thing. Every other hybrid was hook city.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

If you like that much then why not replace it with a pulled shaft? How does the YS6 shaft compared to say Aldila NV or NVS shaft?
    The YS6 is an exquisitely crafted work of engineering art compared to the crude boardy NV's and NVS's.

The YS6 is an exquisitely crafted work of engineering art compared to the crude boardy NV's and NVS's.
    I saw YS6 and YS6+... what the hell is the difference? is YS6 = R-flex shaft? and where is your data to prove that "The YS6 is an exquisitely crafted work of engineering art compared to the crude boardy NV's and NVS's"... prove it to us, young man... Our life would be much better if it's data driven , otherwise it's full of shittttttt

I didn't have the money for a new driver at the time, and still don't. Due to my work, I had the driver replaced with a stock FT-5 at no cost to me.

I will probably buy a new YS6+ next year, or a new driver altogether.

I love the YS6+. I had Stiff NV's in my 3 wood and previous driver. I sold the shitty driver (hated the feel and couln't hit it well) and I pulled the NV out of the 3 wood and replaced it with a YS6+. NV's in my mind are a terrible shaft, and I will never have a driver or wood with that shaft again.

Haven't hit a NVS, but I doubt it's much different than the NV.

I saw YS6 and YS6+... what the hell is the difference? is YS6 = R-flex shaft? and where is your data to prove that "The YS6 is an exquisitely crafted work of engineering art compared to the crude boardy NV's and NVS's"... prove it to us, young man... Our life would be much better if it's data driven , otherwise it's full of shittttttt
    YS6 comes in different flexes like most all shafts. YS6+ is a newer version of unknown differences. Proving feel with data is an exercise an idiot-savant might undertake to make the time pass in the asylum. Prove it the old fashioned way: hit the different shafts and feel the f*cking difference in your hands, arms, spine.

hit the different shafts and feel the f*cking difference in your hands, arms, spine.

He's asking a quality shaft to be compared to an NV. He probably doesn't have a spine...

He's asking a quality shaft to be compared to an NV. He probably doesn't have a spine...
    Other analogies: BMW vs. equivalent model MBenz. The MBenz typically drives like a truck requiring heavy inputs to the bus-sized steering wheel and pedals. The Beemer can be flung with light applications of hands and feet. Airplanes--large passenger and military: Russian-made fly like truck--some controls not servo or hydraulically boosted. US made--fly with tip of fingers and toes. Motorcycles: Harley Davison: big hulking hunks of iron requiring great strength and effort to keep upright at rest and to turn. Good Euro and Nipponese bikes-- float like butterflies. Etc Etc. Must confess though that most of my GD vs. NV/NVS comparisons have been made with Tit bore-through drivers and 3 woods. The YS series has 4 inch parallel tips and I suppose the Aldila's parallel tip sections are not as long so that full-depth installation will make them play a good bit stiffer than their rated flexes.

Other analogies: BMW vs. equivalent model MBenz. The MBenz typically drives like a truck requiring heavy inputs to the bus-sized steering wheel and pedals. The Beemer can be flung with light applications of hands and feet. Airplanes--large passenger and military: Russian-made fly like truck--some controls not servo or hydraulically boosted. US made--fly with tip of fingers and toes. Motorcycles: Harley Davison: big hulking hunks of iron requiring great strength and effort to keep upright at rest and to turn. Good Euro and Nipponese bikes-- float like butterflies. Etc Etc. Must confess though that most of my GD vs. NV/NVS comparisons have been made with Tit bore-through drivers and 3 woods. The YS series has 4 inch parallel tips and I suppose the Aldila's parallel tip sections are not as long so that full-depth installation will make them play a good bit stiffer than their rated flexes.
    I found the NV to feel like a noodle. Maybe you're just a *****.

I also tipped my YS6+ a c _ _ t hair.

I found the NV to feel like a noodle. Maybe you're just a *****.

I also tipped my YS6+ a c _ _ t hair.
    Well, you are a pro and probably half or less my age and have the time and wherewithall to groove your swing and work on your game as a primary focus. If I were in your shoes, I would probably play DG X100's double hard stepped in my irons and rebar in my woods. Seriously, the GD wood shafts have 4" parallel tips uncut whereas the Aldilas are 3". This would account for the crappy feeling of all their products in Tit bore-throughs. And I think the Voo Doos are also doo doo.

Well, you are a pro and probably half or less my age and have the time and wherewithall to groove your swing and work on your game as a primary focus. If I were in your shoes, I would probably play DG X100's double hard stepped in my irons and rebar in my woods. Seriously, the GD wood shafts have 4" parallel tips uncut whereas the Aldilas are 3". This would account for the crappy feeling of all their products in Tit bore-throughs. And I think the Voo Doos are also doo doo.
    I have a 1 cap, but I ain't no pro! That's Pingman. I also played probably 30 rounds of golf in 2010 compared to my regular 80+ per year. But I am probably less than half your age. ;)

I just wanted to call you a ***** since you found the NV hard whereas I found it soft. Nothing more than an attack on your manhood.

Carry on.

I have a 1 cap, but I ain't no pro! That's Pingman. I also played probably 30 rounds of golf in 2010 compared to my regular 80+ per year. But I am probably less than half your age. ;)

I just wanted to call you a ***** since you found the NV hard whereas I found it soft. Nothing more than an attack on your manhood.

Carry on.
    hard and soft are just a relative term according to female...
    Seriously, I never had a YS-6 shaft so I cannot compare with Aldila NV R-flex which seems to fit my SS quite a bit, it appears to be quite "responsive" (again, it's just another relative term)... I like both Aldila NV and Prolaunch Blue and IMO the NV gives me higher trajectory, but according to literature, Prolaunch should be a higher-launch shaft, so go figure... So maybe I will try YS-6 shaft when I get a chance

Several years ago, I had a YS 6 in a deep bore hosel; a Titleist 983, and had an NV in a Tour Edge Exotics driver. The NV felt a lot more solid and predictable. The YS 6 in the same flex, even in a deeper bore hosel, still felt floppier and less predictable. The YS 7's I had on my fairway woods at the time were definitely beefier than the YS 6.

Carry on.
    I'm sorry, I did confuse you with the other Mod. I remember--you're left-handed and posted a vid of a 6 iron swing in your backyard. I am sort of envious of anyone who can play at least 30 rounds per year, let alone 80. I did that 20+ years ago but then the real estate market tanked and I had to go get a 7 to 7 6.5 days a week job and there went the 8 handicap and good, clean, play skins and match play for money at the clubs fun. You could have put a consonant or two in the ***** so that I could figure out what you were calling me. It's OK, I've been and are called much worse in English and other languages. Come to think of it, I do have several NV shafts that are noodle-ish. Two NV-HL Cobra proprietaries in a 20* and 26* hybrids. Both are rated "stiff" and both are more inconsistent than a pre-menstrual woman. I also have a 23* that had the same shaft and I put a 72 gram V2 stiff in that one and it tightened things up marvelously.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Several years ago, I had a YS 6 in a deep bore hosel; a Titleist 983, and had an NV in a Tour Edge Exotics driver. The NV felt a lot more solid and predictable. The YS 6 in the same flex, even in a deeper bore hosel, still felt floppier and less predictable. The YS 7's I had on my fairway woods at the time were definitely beefier than the YS 6.
    Yes, I also have the NV R-flex 65-g in my TEE driver and I really love it for its responsiveness... I heard that the NV R-flex 55-g is also very good, if I found a pulled shaft on eBay at reasonable price I would buy it and save

Same here. I had the YS6 in stiff in a driver and it was awful, every time I tried to jump on it I could feel the shaft twisting and it would go way left, regardless of how good a swing I put on. I have the NV 65 stiff now and it's a much more solid and predictable shaft. I can jump on it and it stays straight. Probably for my current level it's the best compromise between distance and accuracy. 10 years ago I loved the Graf Blue stiff, but at 42 I doubt I have the chs to really load that shaft, the NV is easy to swing.

Same here. I had the YS6 in stiff in a driver and it was awful, every time I tried to jump on it I could feel the shaft twisting and it would go way left, regardless of how good a swing I put on. I have the NV 65 stiff now and it's a much more solid and predictable shaft. I can jump on it and it stays straight. Probably for my current level it's the best compromise between distance and accuracy. 10 years ago I loved the Graf Blue stiff, but at 42 I doubt I have the chs to really load that shaft, the NV is easy to swing.
    YS6's arn't designed to be "jumped on".

I'm sorry, I did confuse you with the other Mod. I remember--you're left-handed and posted a vid of a 6 iron swing in your backyard. I am sort of envious of anyone who can play at least 30 rounds per year, let alone 80. I did that 20+ years ago but then the real estate market tanked and I had to go get a 7 to 7 6.5 days a week job and there went the 8 handicap and good, clean, play skins and match play for money at the clubs fun. You could have put a consonant or two in the ***** so that I could figure out what you were calling me. It's OK, I've been and are called much worse in English and other languages. Come to think of it, I do have several NV shafts that are noodle-ish. Two NV-HL Cobra proprietaries in a 20* and 26* hybrids. Both are rated "stiff" and both are more inconsistent than a pre-menstrual woman. I also have a 23* that had the same shaft and I put a 72 gram V2 stiff in that one and it tightened things up marvelously.
    P\/ssy, I was calling you a p.ussy.

I know, horse for courses. I know guys who hit it by me who use YS6 shafts, but those guys have smooth swings and don't load the shaft as much as my swing.

P\/ssy, I was calling you a p.ussy.
    Oh. That's OK, then. The last time guys called me that was when I refused to do some things they were going to do. Some of them ended up dead. Some seriously injured. I was unscathed. A stronger word in the same vein is c*n*. The Brits have developed the expert use of this word over the centuries although I suspect it is of Germanic origin. I use that word sparingly and only in writing when referring to some elected officials, upper level bureacrats, and public sports and entertainment figures. I would only use it in one-on-one conversation if I was better armed than that to which I was tagging with the word.

my Adams Idea Tech OS gaybrids come with with Graphite Design YS+ hybrid shafts and it's very very responsive when I take it back slowly and come down with a smooth-to-aggressive swing (not swing out of my shoes). NEVER had Graphic Design shaft for driver so I can't compare but i would love to try

my Adams Idea Tech OS gaybrids come with with Graphite Design YS+ hybrid shafts and it's very very responsive when I take it back slowly and come down with a smooth-to-aggressive swing (not swing out of my shoes). NEVER had Graphic Design shaft for driver so I can't compare but i would love to try
    I liked the YS6+ shaft with my Titleist 905R 9.5 degree except into the wind. With the wind it was a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich
    You know actually its the found in the beanfield hybrid. I hit the prettiest 200 hundred yard fade with that thing. Every other hybrid was hook city.
    I NEVER EVER hook with any gaybrids that I use... heard people comment about the hook city, not sure why

I liked the YS6+ shaft with my Titleist 905R 9.5 degree except into the wind. With the wind it was a beast.
    FD.... can you comment on YS6+ vs Aldila NV based on YOUR personnal experience... for sure those are the two most popular shafts based on my reading

I didn't have the money for a new driver at the time, and still don't. Due to my work, I had the driver replaced with a stock FT-5 at no cost to me.

I will probably buy a new YS6+ next year, or a new driver altogether.

I love the YS6+. I had Stiff NV's in my 3 wood and previous driver. I sold the shitty driver (hated the feel and couln't hit it well) and I pulled the NV out of the 3 wood and replaced it with a YS6+. NV's in my mind are a terrible shaft, and I will never have a driver or wood with that shaft again.

Haven't hit a NVS, but I doubt it's much different than the NV.
    The YS6+ Fairway stiff shaft in my 904F 15* is the best fairway wood shaft I've ever hit. In that head I've had and/or hit NVS, Speeder (for Tit), Fit On 11 Pro 95, DG S300, V2 and some I don't recall they were that bad. The YS has the best combination of weight, flex point, balance and kick that is reminiscent of a good Sandvik.

FD.... can you comment on YS6+ vs Aldila NV based on YOUR personnal experience... for sure those are the two most popular shafts based on my reading
    Back in 2006 I bought the Cleveland Launcher 460 8.5 degree with an Aldila NV-65 Stiff Shaft (the green one). This was my first forray with a 460 cc driver. Prior to that I had been using the Ping TiSi Tec 7 degree. Anyway, I instantly saw an increase in my driver distances. Not huge, but noticeable. I really like the NV-65 because it was soft feeling but provided that piercing trajectory. This was one of my clubs that got stolen when I left my clubs outside my house for a few minutes.

I needed a new driver so I went inside the club where I normally played and the pro was selling a Titleist 905R 9.5 with the YS-6+ shaft. I bought it and on the first hole hit my longest driver ever on that hole. I think I gained accuracy and distance over the Cleveland 460 but not by much. One thing I can say is that I liked the look and feel of the 905R much better. The shaft seemed perfect for me but if I got too quick it would balloon. When I was hitting it well there was nothing better feeling or performing.

I NEVER EVER hook with any gaybrids that I use... heard people comment about the hook city, not sure why
    Many, if not most hybrids have heel weighting and/or a closed face. The manufacturers assume that most people slice, so they'll give them a crutch to "cure" their slice. Unfortunately, for someone with a mechanically sound swing, these "fixes" will frequently cause a hook.

It's sort of like the "90% of lawyers give the other 10% a bad name" situation.

You have to be careful about the specs in hybrids, just like any other club. It's the same issue with relatively higher lofted drivers; the manufacturers frequently build in a closed face to "fight slices." Typically the 9 or 9.5 is square, the 10.5 or 11-11.5 will have a hook face.

"Know what you're getting"......helps prevent disappointment.

Many, if not most hybrids have heel weighting and/or a closed face. The manufacturers assume that most people slice, so they'll give them a crutch to "cure" their slice. Unfortunately, for someone with a mechanically sound swing, these "fixes" will frequently cause a hook.

It's sort of like the "90% of lawyers give the other 10% a bad name" situation.

You have to be careful about the specs in hybrids, just like any other club. It's the same issue with relatively higher lofted drivers; the manufacturers frequently build in a closed face to "fight slices." Typically the 9 or 9.5 is square, the 10.5 or 11-11.5 will have a hook face.

"Know what you're getting"......helps prevent disappointment.
    I had an awakening last week. I went to Golf Galaxy and they had a used Ping G15 20 degree hybrid with stock Ping shaft. In my opinion, I would expect to get more distance from a 20 degree hybrid than a regular 3 iron from a set.

So, I went into their simulator where you hit into a huge movie screen with a golf hole on it. It shows you spin, trajectory and distance both in where the balls lands and where it rolled. I took a Ping i15 3 iron off the wall to make sure that the hybrid really went further. I took several swings with the hybrid and after about 8 shots my average carry was right around 197. I then hit about 8 balls with the 3 iron and my average was exactly the same and actually I hit the 3 iron longer several times.

This actually excites me, because it means I will keep my 3 iron in the bag and will simply use a 17 or 18 degree hybrid when I need it. I only use a hybrid for very long Par 3's or for shots from rough where I need to get the ball up in the air. I think I'll be getting the G15 hybrid 17 degree.

I had an awakening last week. I went to Golf Galaxy and they had a used Ping G15 20 degree hybrid with stock Ping shaft. In my opinion, I would expect to get more distance from a 20 degree hybrid than a regular 3 iron from a set.

So, I went into their simulator where you hit into a huge movie screen with a golf hole on it. It shows you spin, trajectory and distance both in where the balls lands and where it rolled. I took a Ping i15 3 iron off the wall to make sure that the hybrid really went further. I took several swings with the hybrid and after about 8 shots my average carry was right around 197. I then hit about 8 balls with the 3 iron and my average was exactly the same and actually I hit the 3 iron longer several times.

This actually excites me, because it means I will keep my 3 iron in the bag and will simply use a 17 or 18 degree hybrid when I need it. I only use a hybrid for very long Par 3's or for shots from rough where I need to get the ball up in the air. I think I'll be getting the G15 hybrid 17 degree.
    I'm not going to make a blanket statement that crushes your enthusiasm, but those simulators at Golf Galaxy are full of sh!t. I'd either use a legit doppler launch monitor, or better yet, hit both clubs outside.
    I was hitting 220 yard 6 irons on a Golf Galaxy sim a couple years ago.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I'm not going to make a blanket statement that crushes your enthusiasm, but those simulators at Golf Galaxy are full of sh!t. I'd either use a legit doppler launch monitor, or better yet, hit both clubs outside.
    A drive on those simulators are about equal to posted internet forum drive distances.

I've hit drives that carried 290 on a Golf Galaxy sim'. One time it was right after I played and walked 18 holes, had lunch, and drank a few beers. There's no way I could carry 290 unless I was in a rocky mountain state.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    A drive on those simulators are about equal to posted internet forum drive distances.

I've hit drives that carried 290 on a Golf Galaxy sim'. One time it was right after I played and walked 18 holes, had lunch, and drank a few beers. There's no way I could carry 290 unless I was in a rocky mountain state.
    Maybe you were too drunk to read the yardage correctly. Every time I've gone to Golf Galaxy and hit in the simulator the yardages have been spot on. Regardless, even if the yardage was off the test results for hitting a 3-iron vs. a hybrid are valid because the yardage would be off by the same percentage. I realized that I hit the Ping i15 3 iron the same or more distance than they equivelant hybrid. The test was real and it was accurate.

I suggest laying off the sauce to avoid your problem of seeing a "1" as a "9". We all know you only hit it 210.

Several years ago, I went to a Golfsmith simulator to try a new driver. I brought my current driver in for comparison. The yardages that it was giving me were consistently 40-50 yards LESS than I typically achieved in the real world. It's all about calibration, methinks......

That's because the simulator was set to Moon golf. Be sure to set the the simulator for typical earth gravity next time.

Several years ago, I went to a Golfsmith simulator to try a new driver. I brought my current driver in for comparison. The yardages that it was giving me were consistently 40-50 yards LESS than I typically achieved in the real world. It's all about calibration, methinks......
    That could be. Or it could be that simulator's suck.

from what Golf Galaxy told me.... there is a "sensor" at the bottom of your swing path which measures your club's head's speed then multiplies that to a 2.55 factor for your distance, i.e. if your driver's club's head speed is 100 then your distance is ABOUT 255 yds... Not sure how often they calibrate this sensor.... nevertheless, if you do a comparison of club A and B then that should give you some idea in a relative term, not in absolute term

from what Golf Galaxy told me.... there is a "sensor" at the bottom of your swing path which measures your club's head's speed then multiplies that to a 2.55 factor for your distance, i.e. if your driver's club's head speed is 100 then your distance is ABOUT 255 yds... Not sure how often they calibrate this sensor.... nevertheless, if you do a comparison of club A and B then that should give you some idea in a relative term, not in absolute term
    How does it measure spin, launch angle, etc.?

That's because the simulator was set to Moon golf. Be sure to set the the simulator for typical earth gravity next time.
    There is no such thing as "gravity"... the whole world sucks

Maybe you were too drunk to read the yardage correctly. Every time I've gone to Golf Galaxy and hit in the simulator the yardages have been spot on. Regardless, even if the yardage was off the test results for hitting a 3-iron vs. a hybrid are valid because the yardage would be off by the same percentage. I realized that I hit the Ping i15 3 iron the same or more distance than they equivelant hybrid. The test was real and it was accurate.

I suggest laying off the sauce to avoid your problem of seeing a "1" as a "9". We all know you only hit it 210.
    Yah, that's it. It must explain why the employee was asking if I usually have 300+ yard drives.

The only counter to this argument is spin rate. Club head speed is easy enough to measure it's the launch angle and most important the spin rate...

Gơod question, I did not ask... maybe you ask next time and tell us

Interesting, i have never really factored distance into the equation, i hit hybrids because they are easier to hit and they produce a higher trajectory which is better for stopping on greens. I have also found that when im swinging well, my 17* hybrid goes just as far as my 3 wood. Played in a 3 club event 2 days ago, and i was hitting my 19* hybrid about 20 yards shorter than the other players in my group who all had 3 woods. Difference was i missed 1 fairway all day, the others were all over the place! Found i could work it both ways too - although it doesn't have that closed face that a lot of hybrids have.
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

I do! Its pretty much as dorkman stated. The closed face, I dont like, period. All my junk sets up neutral, to slightly open. Hybrids for the most part have closed faces at setup, and there shafts seem to play weaker than stated. Bagging no less then a dozen hybrids in 10 years or less,( Mizuno clk 17, 20, 23. Taylormade tp dual 14, 16, 19, 22. Tour burner Ozik shaft. R7 cgb max 19. Cobra baffler dws and tws 3. Plus others, all stiff flex.) have kept only 2. A tp dual 22 with a diamana shaft that plays close to the rated stiff flex,a geat club, but I hook it occasionaly. and the Callaway, that sets up neutral. But I use a hybrid only as a 5 wood replacement.

Thats what I like also about the aftermarket, new NV greens, not the made for oem supplied junk. Plus the distances direct into wind. I,m blown away by. Played and still have alot of other shafts for my Nickent drivers, that all have different personalitys. I love the rombax 6x07, and my v2s, (out of a dozen or so shafts), almost as much, as the NV greens tipped I use.
    Last edited by 12sandwich; 12-13-2010 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich
    I do! Its pretty much as dorkman stated. The closed face, I dont like, period. All my junk sets up neutral, to slightly open. Hybrids for the most part have closed faces at setup, and there shafts seem to play weaker than stated. Bagging no less then a dozen hybrids in 10 years or less,( Mizuno clk 17, 20, 23. Taylormade tp dual 14, 16, 19, 22. Tour burner Ozik shaft. R7 cgb max 19. Cobra baffler dws and tws 3. Plus others, all stiff flex.) have kept only 2. A tp dual 22 with a diamana shaft that plays close to the rated stiff flex,a geat club, but I hook it occasionaly. and the Callaway, that sets up neutral. But I use a hybrid only as a 5 wood replacement.
    Although I can't speak from experieince, I think the trick is buying the correct hybrid for your game. Stay away from any hybrid which uses the term 'rescue' in it's name, as it will obviously be a hook machine for choppers who hit banana balls. Nearly every player on tour bags a hybrid so there must be some out there with square or open faces, just use what they use. I think the Adams hybrids are popular on tour, and the Titty hybrid would definitely be a players club.

[QUOTE=12sandwich]
    I instantly saw an increase in my driver distances. Not huge, but noticeable. I really like the NV-65 because it was soft feeling but provided that piercing trajectory.] Thats what I like also about the aftermarket, new NV greens, not the made for oem supplied junk. Plus the distances direct into wind. I,m blown away by. Played and still have alot of other shafts for my Nickent drivers, that all have different personalitys. I love the rombax 6x07, and my v2s, (out of a dozen or so shafts), almost as much, as the NV greens tipped I use.
    I can't speak highly enough of the NV 65 stiff. In the past I wasn't that rapt in them, but that was because I had only hit the 'made for' garbage NVs on closed face chopper clubs. Since getting my 905R with the aftermarket NV, I'm sold on them. Like FD says, they feel nice and soft but perform like a solid shaft. Piercing ball flight and I can jump on it as hard as i like without worrying about hooks. I'd say that anything for anyone with a swing speed from 95-105 the NV 65 stiff would be well worth looking at, especially at the price you can get them these days. My personal opinion on shafts is that the top end expensive shafts are for low or high swing speed players. If you are in the average to slightly high swing speed range I don't think you will get enough benefit from a $300 shaft to make it worthwhile.

My personal opinion on shafts is that the top end expensive shafts are for low or high swing speed players. If you are in the average to slightly high swing speed range I don't think you will get enough benefit from a $300 shaft to make it worthwhile.
    You are leaving out the $300+ aftermarket shaft's key sales demographic: the lemmings who will buy anything that is expensive. It's either ego, or some type of golf nerdiness that drives these pathetic suckers. They are the guys with the rare Scotty's and $600 wedges.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

You are leaving out the $300+ aftermarket shaft's key sales demographic: the lemmings who will buy anything that is expensive. It's either ego, or some type of golf nerdiness that drives these pathetic suckers. They are the guys with the rare Scotty's and $600 wedges.
    Surely there wouldn't be anyone gullible enough to shell out that much for a wedge? Even it played all the shots I think that is a bit too steep. I have never spent any more than about $150 on a shaft, but IMO that is money well spent as stock shafts just don't cut it for me. I have a genuine aftermarket blue board in my FT5 and it's a great shaft, but IMO not noticably better than the NV65 whic goes for about a sixth of the price.

It may be one of modern life's mysteries. Almost as mystifying as the device whose design must have come to humanity the same way as Velcro did-- from the Aliens. The device of which I speak is the Thermos. As a grizzled old homeless man once queried me on the street in the Central Business District, "It keep hot 'ting hot and cold 'ting cold. How do it know?"

[QUOTE=mongrel]It may be one of modern life's mysteries. Almost as mystifying as the device whose design must have come to humanity the same way as Velcro did-- from the Aliens. The device of which I speak is the Thermos. As a grizzled old homeless man once queried me on the street in the Central Business District, "It keep hot 'ting hot and cold 'ting cold. How do it know?"[/QUOTE]
    So how is No Shuz?

Thread Information