|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Results 1 to 52 of 52
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Masters
    Posts
    2,614
    Rep Power
    10

    Best Irons under $500 (Its Christmas Time!)

    Its the time of year when many budding hackers decide its time to get their first set irons. Think back to the days when you first started playing golf with some old hand me down set, and thought "I bet I could break a 100 if a got a decent set of irons." Maybe these rookies are out reading irons reviews on this website, and have noticed that every set they look at has glowing reviews and promises of massive distance and consistency gains. Maybe, they have even thought about asking for advice in the forum section, but don't have the patience to wait for their account to be activated...in the internet age, people need instant feedback on this major decision. What advice would you give them?

    Keep in mind, demoing is probably not an option for these people (possibly a wife or parent is the one trying to decide what to get their new golfer) and they are probably too new to the golf world to confidently buy used.

    Note to rookies and lurkers, go ahead an sign up for an account and get back to us with some feedback when your account finally gets approved.

    Merry Christmas!
    Last edited by The Purist; 12-14-2010 at 11:45 PM.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    magnolia
    Posts
    2,036
    Rep Power
    9
    For 499 I would opt for the tour edge xcg-3. Hit them in the net a couple of weeks ago and they didn't feel too bad. If a person had to buy new. Always ebay tho for used.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Livin' the dream at the SPCC
    Posts
    8,486
    Rep Power
    18
    I can totally put myself back in time to those days. I was a mere lad of 19 years old, broke as a hobo, using my dad's clubs. Driver, 3w, 5w, 3, 5, 7, 9, SW, putter. The string wrapped around the driver hosel was loose, and I'd have to wrap it around the head about 50 times before I could swing. The sandwedge was so rusty there were pitted holes all over the sole (and no, it did not help with spin). The leather bag weighed 100 lbs. and had no shoulder strap. I thought golf shoes were for pusssies.
    My parents bought me a 12 piece set of Arnold Palmer golf clubs. Steel head driver and woods. Brand spanking new. That was pure joy.
    I wouldn't have been nearly as excited to unwrap a used set of quality irons, even if they were better.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

    *Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Masters
    Posts
    2,614
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    I can totally put myself back in time to those days. I was a mere lad of 19 years old, broke as a hobo, using my dad's clubs. Driver, 3w, 5w, 3, 5, 7, 9, SW, putter. The string wrapped around the driver hosel was loose, and I'd have to wrap it around the head about 50 times before I could swing. The sandwedge was so rusty there were pitted holes all over the sole (and no, it did not help with spin). The leather bag weighed 100 lbs. and had no shoulder strap. I thought golf shoes were for pusssies.
    My parents bought me a 12 piece set of Arnold Palmer golf clubs. Steel head driver and woods. Brand spanking new. That was pure joy.
    I wouldn't have been nearly as excited to unwrap a used set of quality irons, even if they were better.
    My parents bought me a 12 piece set also (I was probably 20). I had the spalding tour impact driver through pw...I think 3 or 4 of the cast hosels broke...the flimsy graphite shafts were stronger than the iron material.

    My next step up purchase was the TM RAS irons. I still had no clue about equipment, but was impressed with how far they went on the launch monitor at Dicks (had no clue about strong lofts or how inaccurate those things were...er still are), plus they had those sweet gel inserts.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Livin' the dream at the SPCC
    Posts
    8,486
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by The Purist
    My parents bought me a 12 piece set also (I was probably 20). I had the spalding tour impact driver through pw...I think 3 or 4 of the cast hosels broke...the flimsy graphite shafts were stronger than the iron material.

    My next step up purchase was the TM RAS irons. I still had no clue about equipment, but was impressed with how far they went on the launch monitor at Dicks (had no clue about strong lofts or how inaccurate those things were...er still are), plus they had those sweet gel inserts.
    I had steel shafts in the woods and all 3 broke within a couple years. My next set of irons were a graduation present to myself, Titleist DC1 O+. That was my first actual quality gear.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

    *Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    ChiselCreek
    Posts
    3,994
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    I had steel shafts in the woods and all 3 broke within a couple years. My next set of irons were a graduation present to myself, Titleist DC1 O+. That was my first actual quality gear.
    I bought myself a new set of "Canon" clubs... some of you may have remembered this name, everyone laughed at me because all irons look like hybrid/wood. I still have them and I will take pictures for fun

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    White Point Golf Club
    Posts
    4,898
    Rep Power
    13
    I bought my MP60's for that......
    Taylormade R1 TP - Ozik RUL 60
    Taylormade R11 3 Wood Ozik X-con 6
    Taylormade TP Rescue 18 degree
    Adams Idea A7 22 degree
    2013 Callaway X Forged Projext X PXI
    Taylormade RAC TP 52 and 56 degree
    Nike SV Tour 60 degree.
    2 Bar Mallet / White Hot Ice

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,925
    Rep Power
    22
    With $500, there are several ways you could go. One would be to make a downpayment on a wedge and then wait around until you have another $100. Another approach would be to pay the $500 and finance the rest assuming you can negotiate good credit terms. Libor +1% 60 months isn't bad for a car loan these days. The latter approach is way smarter because then you wouldn't have to wait to make all the shots.
    GR lives...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,170
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    With $500, there are several ways you could go. One would be to make a downpayment on a wedge and then wait around until you have another $100. Another approach would be to pay the $500 and finance the rest assuming you can negotiate good credit terms. Libor +1% 60 months isn't bad for a car loan these days. The latter approach is way smarter because then you wouldn't have to wait to make all the shots.
    But won't you need three wedges to complete the set and play all the shots. How are you financing the other $1,300?
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,170
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    I can totally put myself back in time to those days. I was a mere lad of 19 years old, broke as a hobo, using my dad's clubs. Driver, 3w, 5w, 3, 5, 7, 9, SW, putter. The string wrapped around the driver hosel was loose, and I'd have to wrap it around the head about 50 times before I could swing. The sandwedge was so rusty there were pitted holes all over the sole (and no, it did not help with spin). The leather bag weighed 100 lbs. and had no shoulder strap. I thought golf shoes were for pusssies.
    My parents bought me a 12 piece set of Arnold Palmer golf clubs. Steel head driver and woods. Brand spanking new. That was pure joy.
    I wouldn't have been nearly as excited to unwrap a used set of quality irons, even if they were better.
    Me too.

    I had a hand me down set that was a mixture of Dunlop/Spalding and Maxfli woods and blades. I didn't have a driver but I had a 2 wood, 4 wood and 5 wood and these were real woods, not metal woods. In the irons I had 3, 4, 5, 7 & 9, no wedges, Dave Pelz would be appalled!.

    As I went around different golf clubs I would look in the bargain bin and gradually added a 6 & 8 iron and a pitching wedge. Never owned a proper sand wedge. I then shouted myself one of those fan dangled flash new metal three woods. That baby was the business!!!

    I harboured dreams of getting a full set of new clubs i.e. D, 3w, 5w, 3-SW & putter but I headed overseas instead and hardly picked up a golf club for the next 10 years.

    When I finally came back to the game about 5 years ago intent on getting myself that dream set I was thoroughly confused with all the weird and wonderful new clubs they were throwing at me that I'd never heard of, Gap wedges, Lob Wedges, hybrids to replace the 3 & 4 irons??? WTF???

    Just give me the traditional setup will ya!!!

    I bought myself a full set of Hippo clubs that were Ok beginner clubs. Then I discovered GR Reviews and Forums, bought some Cleveland clubs and the rest is history.
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,925
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    But won't you need three wedges to complete the set and play all the shots. How are you financing the other $1,300?
    Right as usual. I was assuming the peron's entire net worth plus credit capacity was $600. But if it's actually $1,800 then absolutely.
    GR lives...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,192
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by The Purist
    Its the time of year when many budding hackers decide its time to get their first set irons. Think back to the days when you first started playing golf with some old hand me down set, and thought "I bet I could break a 100 if a got a decent set of irons." Maybe these rookies are out reading irons reviews on this website, and have noticed that every set they look at has glowing reviews and promises of massive distance and consistency gains. Maybe, they have even thought about asking for advice in the forum section, but don't have the patience to wait for their account to be activated...in the internet age, people need instant feedback on this major decision. What advice would you give them?

    Keep in mind, demoing is probably not an option for these people (possibly a wife or parent is the one trying to decide what to get their new golfer) and they are probably too new to the golf world to confidently buy used.

    Note to rookies and lurkers, go ahead an sign up for an account and get back to us with some feedback when your account finally gets approved.

    Merry Christmas!
    With the economy the way it is you can get great deals on irons for less than $499. Rockbottomgolf has the Callaway 2009 X Forged for $399. You can get Ping i10's for $499. Callaway X18j irons for $329. I just got my Ping Eye 2 BeCu irons, 3-SW in like new condition of Craigslist for $200. Single best deal I've ever gotten on used clubs.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Timber Point
    Posts
    477
    Rep Power
    5
    Hi

    Rookie here. Been playing about a year now. I started with a cheepo e-pay set and over the summer bought a set of Callaway X-20's(steel shafts) for $400. Made a huge diff in my iron play. Instead of those crappy, whippy clubs, I suddenly found control. It has measureably upped my performance and love of golf.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,925
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    With the economy the way it is you can get great deals on irons for less than $499. Rockbottomgolf has the Callaway 2009 X Forged for $399. You can get Ping i10's for $499. Callaway X18j irons for $329. I just got my Ping Eye 2 BeCu irons, 3-SW in like new condition of Craigslist for $200. Single best deal I've ever gotten on used clubs.
    Gee... whoever thought Ping and Callaway clubs would be the ones dominating retail fire sales?
    GR lives...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Masters
    Posts
    2,614
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Gee... whoever thought Ping and Callaway clubs would be the ones dominating retail fire sales?
    Speaking of fire. How about the Max Fire Golf Set? You think Grandall1983 is still happy with his starter set?
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,998
    Rep Power
    22
    I srated golf as a 12 year old by sneaking onto the local course at sun up, and playing the holes at the top of the course away from the clubhouse til the greenskeepers chased us off. I used to be one of those annoying kids who spent their spare time in the dam diving for golf balls, and trying to sell them to local golfers walking past, so the progression to playing was a natural one. Back then I used a borrowed set of Slazenger Ben Hogan blades 3,5,7,9, some sort of Spadling pw, and the Slazenger Ben Hogan persimmon 3w. Great days.

    A few years later when I moved to Sydney and joined a club I had a set of Jack Newton J1000 clubs, 3w, 3,5,7,9,sw. I also remember my first pair of shoes had those leather flap things on top, and were brown. They looked a lot like the Judges shoes, except mine weren't fine leather, and they didn't have a wax build up.

    P.S. For $500 you could get a set of Ping G10 knockoffs, and still have enough change for a 20% down payment on a set of wedges.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Lost Farm
    Posts
    658
    Rep Power
    9
    Bought my mp52's for that - brand new
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,192
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Gee... whoever thought Ping and Callaway clubs would be the ones dominating retail fire sales?
    I was just mentioning a few sets. You can get the Mizuno MX-300 for $499 now. I'll put my Pings up against your clubs anytime you want to drive south and have a match.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,998
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I was just mentioning a few sets. You can get the Mizuno MX-300 for $499 now. I'll put my Pings up against your clubs anytime you want to drive south and have a match.
    If you issue a challenge on GR you must accompany the challenge with "feeling froggy?". C'mon FD, you know the rules.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,192
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    If you issue a challenge on GR you must accompany the challenge with "feeling froggy?". C'mon FD, you know the rules.
    True, but every time someone issues a challenge with "feeling froggy" the event never seem to take place. He has made fun of the fact that I still use remote controls with wires connected to them and then made fun of my idea to tape a TV remote and a VCR remote together for convenience. That's declaring war in my book. And so, let everyone here take notice, I hereby challenge Lorenzo to a match of 18 holes, no handicaps in match play format. If I lose I'll give up my 8 track tape collection that includes great groups like The Silvers, George Harrison and ELO.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,925
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I was just mentioning a few sets. You can get the Mizuno MX-300 for $499 now. I'll put my Pings up against your clubs anytime you want to drive south and have a match.
    I have to drive there?

    Tell you what, as long as we're s.hit talking, my grandma could kick your grandma's ass with a couple of strands of spaghetti.
    GR lives...

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,192
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I have to drive there?

    Tell you what, as long as we're s.hit talking, my grandma could kick your grandma's ass with a couple of strands of spaghetti.
    My grandma was a fantastic cook and made the best chicken and porkchops that I had ever tasted. I wouldn't put her Italian dishes against your grandma's but as far as good American home cooking she was amazing .

    Maybe we could make it a threesome with Larry at one of the many country clubs he professes to play.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,223
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    I can totally put myself back in time to those days. I was a mere lad of 19 years old, broke as a hobo, using my dad's clubs. Driver, 3w, 5w, 3, 5, 7, 9, SW, putter. The string wrapped around the driver hosel was loose, and I'd have to wrap it around the head about 50 times before I could swing. The sandwedge was so rusty there were pitted holes all over the sole (and no, it did not help with spin). The leather bag weighed 100 lbs. and had no shoulder strap. I thought golf shoes were for pusssies.
    My parents bought me a 12 piece set of Arnold Palmer golf clubs. Steel head driver and woods. Brand spanking new. That was pure joy.
    I wouldn't have been nearly as excited to unwrap a used set of quality irons, even if they were better.

    Yeah, . . . . . . . memories. I remember I rubbed my first one out in the shower in 6th grade. I felt up a girl for the first time on a school bus coming home from a basketball game in 7th grade. You'd think as early as I started with my sexuality that I would have lost my virginity a lot earlier, but I would have to wait until I was 16 years old before I got laid. I wasn't content with one frolic though as I got off three times that night and tried for 4, but she was sore. I'll never forget my first 10 time day, it happened, . . . . . . . er, . . . . . . sorry, I got sidetracked.

    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,170
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Yeah, . . . . . . . memories. I remember I rubbed my first one out in the shower in 6th grade. I felt up a girl for the first time on a school bus coming home from a basketball game in 7th grade. You'd think as early as I started with my sexuality that I would have lost my virginity a lot earlier, but I would have to wait until I was 16 years old before I got laid. I wasn't content with one frolic though as I got off three times that night and tried for 4, but she was sore. I'll never forget my first 10 time day, it happened, . . . . . . . er, . . . . . . sorry, I got sidetracked.

    Lorenzo has the patent on bragging about sexual exploits on this forum. Did you clear this post with him first?
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,223
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Lorenzo has the patent on bragging about sexual exploits on this forum. Did you clear this post with him first?
    I am merrily a follower of my liege's fine example . . . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,192
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Lorenzo has the patent on bragging about sexual exploits on this forum. Did you clear this post with him first?
    What Sooner didn't tell us was that while rubbing one out his fantasy was breaking 80 on the golf course. I guess some fantasies never die.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,223
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    What Sooner didn't tell us was that while rubbing one out his fantasy was breaking 80 on the golf course. I guess some fantasies never die.

    I couldn't afford to golf until I was well past puberty . . . . . . . . . . . . . around the age of 34.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Masters
    Posts
    2,614
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtbkr
    Hi

    Rookie here. Been playing about a year now. I started with a cheepo e-pay set and over the summer bought a set of Callaway X-20's(steel shafts) for $400. Made a huge diff in my iron play. Instead of those crappy, whippy clubs, I suddenly found control. It has measureably upped my performance and love of golf.
    Welcome to the forum. I think the $400 range is a good price point for golfers just starting out. Especially considering that even though the designs change slightly from year to year, there hasn't been any major changes to iron technology in years (decades really)...most of the sets in the $400 range are just a year or two behind the current releases.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,192
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by The Purist
    Welcome to the forum. I think the $400 range is a good price point for golfers just starting out. Especially considering that even though the designs change slightly from year to year, there hasn't been any major changes to iron technology in years (decades really)...most of the sets in the $400 range are just a year or two behind the current releases.
    It seems like all you need if you are a beginner is a good cheap starter set until you can start hitting the ball and get it in the air. Most true beginners can barely make contact with the ball.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,925
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Lorenzo has the patent on bragging about sexual exploits on this forum. Did you clear this post with him first?
    Any married guy gets automatic sympathy clearance on that.
    GR lives...

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Posts
    1,725
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by The Purist
    Its the time of year when many budding hackers decide its time to get their first set irons. Think back to the days when you first started playing golf with some old hand me down set, and thought "I bet I could break a 100 if a got a decent set of irons." Maybe these rookies are out reading irons reviews on this website, and have noticed that every set they look at has glowing reviews and promises of massive distance and consistency gains. Maybe, they have even thought about asking for advice in the forum section, but don't have the patience to wait for their account to be activated...in the internet age, people need instant feedback on this major decision. What advice would you give them?

    Keep in mind, demoing is probably not an option for these people (possibly a wife or parent is the one trying to decide what to get their new golfer) and they are probably too new to the golf world to confidently buy used.

    Note to rookies and lurkers, go ahead an sign up for an account and get back to us with some feedback when your account finally gets approved.

    Merry Christmas!
    I started playing fairly serious golf in 1978 when I joined the high school golf team, Go Redskins. I had to mooch, my Dads set of 1970s model Wilson 1200 irons, and he had a rare, then, Wilson 1200 driver with a graphite shaft. I shot nothing but 70s back then, and of course only walked. I had some Ping copies in the 80s.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pacific Dunes, Bandon, OR
    Posts
    5,479
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Gee... whoever thought Ping and Callaway clubs would be the ones dominating retail fire sales?
    What no Nike on the list? They used to be the cheapest fire sale clubs out there.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,925
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    What no Nike on the list? They used to be the cheapest fire sale clubs out there.
    The ones that don't sell go straight to the barge to be dumped off-shore.
    GR lives...

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,192
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich
    I started playing fairly serious golf in 1978 when I joined the high school golf team, Go Redskins. I had to mooch, my Dads set of 1970s model Wilson 1200 irons, and he had a rare, then, Wilson 1200 driver with a graphite shaft. I shot nothing but 70s back then, and of course only walked. I had some Ping copies in the 80s.
    Sandwich, my dad also played the Wilson 1200 irons back in the late 70's and kept them all the way until around 1990. They were the ones that had a little circle insert on the back made of metal. I think one of them eventually fell out. He actually chose the 1200 over the Staffs.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,192
    Rep Power
    24
    Went to Golfmart today. Hit some Mizuno MP-32 irons with DGS 300 shafts. They were in fine shape with new grips for $199. Is that a good price for them? No scratches or dings on them and no chrome peeling or rusting. I'd rate them 8.5/10. Just some bag wear and probably 30 rounds on them.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Any with short grass.
    Posts
    1,016
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    Sandwich, my dad also played the Wilson 1200 irons back in the late 70's and kept them all the way until around 1990. They were the ones that had a little circle insert on the back made of metal. I think one of them eventually fell out. He actually chose the 1200 over the Staffs.
    That would be the 1200 LTs. They look funky but they are sweet and acurate with unbelivable awsome feel. I tried them once side by side with the Ping eye 2s and I think they were better. However they are ugly and have that weight that can fall out...Plus, did I say they were ugly?
    ... a tree branch, or my foot.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,192
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdriver
    That would be the 1200 LTs. They look funky but they are sweet and acurate with unbelivable awsome feel. I tried them once side by side with the Ping eye 2s and I think they were better. However they are ugly and have that weight that can fall out...Plus, did I say they were ugly?
    Yep, here's a photo:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    magnolia
    Posts
    2,036
    Rep Power
    9
    Remember the first shot of leg that I had. Late bloomer, wasn't till I was eighteen with the local small town punching bag. Got the clap, went in to the docs and got this HUGE needle of penicillen shot in my arse then had to go and kick start my bike. Life was not good that day.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,192
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by jt1135
    Remember the first shot of leg that I had. Late bloomer, wasn't till I was eighteen with the local small town punching bag. Got the clap, went in to the docs and got this HUGE needle of penicillen shot in my arse then had to go and kick start my bike. Life was not good that day.
    My first experience was this hooker down on Mermaid Avenue. $5 and all you can eat.

    I've been back since

    Who am I kidding I'm down there 3-4 times a week!

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    magnolia
    Posts
    2,036
    Rep Power
    9
    Kind of remind you of eating oysters?
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,223
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Any married guy gets automatic sympathy clearance on that.

    Thank you, your Highness . . . . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Any with short grass.
    Posts
    1,016
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    Yep, here's a photo:
    Yes, that be the sweet ugly of which I speak! I learned to hit driver with the wood from that set. The woods were actually quite pretty. They were black and had a see through resin insert on the face with the 1200 logo deep in there. It and its 3 wood still hang in my garage golf-ho museum.
    ... a tree branch, or my foot.

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,192
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdriver
    Yes, that be the sweet ugly of which I speak! I learned to hit driver with the wood from that set. The woods were actually quite pretty. They were black and had a see through resin insert on the face with the 1200 logo deep in there. It and its 3 wood still hang in my garage golf-ho museum.
    Back then was the 1200 LT considered one of their premium clubs are was it a discount club like it is today?

  44. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Any with short grass.
    Posts
    1,016
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    Back then was the 1200 LT considered one of their premium clubs are was it a discount club like it is today?
    I do not know, perhaps Mongrel or old player will chime in on this question. I do know that some older clubs like the W/Staff tour blades, and the Tommy Armour 845s were not very expensive but turned out to be of superior quality and playability still today.
    I am a bit confused about Wilson in particular on this issue since I understand that the Staff line was their premium but they made a awsome non staff x31 line as well. I really do not know what the deal was.
    Last edited by jetdriver; 12-16-2010 at 06:54 PM.
    ... a tree branch, or my foot.

  45. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Posts
    1,725
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    Yep, here's a photo:
    I dont believe thats the ones I was blessed with, from Ol dear Dad. These just said 1200 I believe, and had a kind of brass looking insert, with a polished finish. I often wonder what happened to them, after I beat them up. I assume he traded them on some ping eyes. Which he didnt have all that long, cause he bought some Hogan blades, with a hogan matching bag. I wouldnt touch them, they were so pretty at the time.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

  46. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    barnbougle dunes
    Posts
    3,482
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdriver
    I do not know, perhaps Mongrel or old player will chime in on this question. I do know that some older clubs like the W/Staff tour blades, and the Tommy Armour 845s were not very expensive but turned out to be of superior quality and playability still today.
    I am a bit confused about Wilson in particular on this issue since I understand that the Staff line was their premium but they made a awsome non staff x31 line as well. I really do not know what the deal was.
    It is my understanding that the 1200 line was not their premium line. Nor were they junk or even necessarily discount clubs, but they were a lower priced alternative. Their premium lines were the signiture sets. Sam Snead and Arnold Palmer staff blades and such like.
    It was really between the 60's and 80's that Wilson Staff blades were among the premium clubs on tour.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

  47. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Posts
    1,725
    Rep Power
    8
    I was in a Golf USA, that is closing its doors, after a little over 2 years. Victim of the economic downfall. I could have easily put a complete nice bag together, for 500.00 They had some Adams a4 irons, Mizuno mp 67 used but nice, Callaway, Cleavland, Adams drivers, all on closeout.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

  48. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,223
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich
    I was in a Golf USA, that is closing its doors, after a little over 2 years. Victim of the economic downfall. I could have easily put a complete nice bag together, for 500.00 They had some Adams a4 irons, Mizuno mp 67 used but nice, Callaway, Cleavland, Adams drivers, all on closeout.
    They get even better with age . . . . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

  49. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,192
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    They get even better with age . . . . . .
    I saw a set of MP-32 irons at Golfmart in what I'd call great condition for $199. I'm not sure if that's a good price or not but I was tempted. I need to give these a try for a few rounds.

    I'm also considering a Titleist 905T 8.5 degree with Aldila NV-65 Reg Shaft for $59.

  50. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Masters
    Posts
    2,614
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I saw a set of MP-32 irons at Golfmart in what I'd call great condition for $199. I'm not sure if that's a good price or not but I was tempted. I need to give these a try for a few rounds.

    I'm also considering a Titleist 905T 8.5 degree with Aldila NV-65 Reg Shaft for $59.
    Sounds like a pretty good deal. I believe Horseballs and Omen still role with the 32s, and Lorenzo had them in the bag for a good while. I would say they are a bit more forgiving than the 67s but still have that nice GFF feel.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

  51. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,170
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by The Purist
    Sounds like a pretty good deal. I believe Horseballs and Omen still role with the 32s, and Lorenzo had them in the bag for a good while. I would say they are a bit more forgiving than the 67s but still have that nice GFF feel.
    I think even Zo when back to them after trying a few others. They are top notch.

    Famousdavis bagging some MP-32's would represent a seismic shift in the blades vs shovels debate. Even NAH might reconsider the direction he has taken.
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  52. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,925
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I saw a set of MP-32 irons at Golfmart in what I'd call great condition for $199. I'm not sure if that's a good price or not but I was tempted. I need to give these a try for a few rounds.

    I'm also considering a Titleist 905T 8.5 degree with Aldila NV-65 Reg Shaft for $59.
    Not bad at all, even if you have to bend and re-shaft them.
    GR lives...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Christmas Presents
    By thegodfather in forum Golf Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-21-2010, 09:15 AM
  2. Christmas eve 4 adults
    By jordoo in forum Golf Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-28-2005, 06:01 AM
  3. When is the best time to get new irons?
    By just wasting time in forum Golf Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2004, 07:26 PM
  4. If tommorrow was Christmas.....
    By rockford35 in forum Golf Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-22-2004, 05:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 About Us   •   Contact Us   •   Privacy policy   •   Terms of use   •   Advertising   •   Copyright The ConsumerREVIEW Network
Copyright ©1996-2013 All Rights Reserved.ConsumerREVIEW.com, a business unit of Invenda