|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

The Official GR Ashes Thread

This thread is one I hadn't bothered to create since England hold the Ashes and after the first two Tests it looked like Australia had no hope of winning the series, especially after the manshaming they suffered in the second Test.

However in light of the result at the WACA the series is well and truly alive and at 1-1 with two matches to play you would have to say the momentum has swung back in favour of the Aussies.

Edgey, Rooboy, Oldplayer, NAH, what say you?

N.B. all Yanks banned from this thread. Stick to your rounders (NBL) and that gay NFL shite.

Edit: Daveperk is permitted on this thread as he is worldly enough to have a view on the Ashes
    Last edited by Kiwi Player; 12-19-2010 at 05:08 PM.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    This thread is one I hadn't bothered to create since England hold the Ashes and after the first two Tests it looked like Australia had no hope of winning the series, especially after the manshaming they suffered in the second Test.

However in light of the result at the WACA the series is well and truly alive and at 1-1 with two matches to play you would have to say the momentum has swung back in favour of the Aussies.

N.B. all Yanks banned from this thread. Stick to your rounders (NBL) and that gay NFL shite.

Edit: Daveperk is permitted on this thread as he is worldly enough to have a view on the Ashes
    Sorry to breach etiquette by posting on a British Commonwealth thread, but it is the "NBA" (National Basketball Association). There, now....you're never too old to learn something important like that........
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

WACA ? WTF?.... is that that grasshopper sheite?
    ... a tree branch, or my foot.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Sorry to breach etiquette by posting on a British Commonwealth thread, but it is the "NBA" (National Basketball Association). There, now....you're never too old to learn something important like that........

Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Thanks Dorkman but I was actually meaning to refer to baseball not basketball.

Thought it was NBL for National Baseball League but I see it is actually MLB for Major League Baseball. But never mind, we will continue to refer to it as it is known in the rest of the world as 'Rounders', a game played primarily by girls.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Finally a thread about sports. My Patriots didn't look so good tonite but still prevailed. Looks as though they had a bunch of players with nagging injuries sit out to heal up for the play-offs. NFL football is unquestionably the best spectator sport on the planet, dwarfing obscure, old world, fringe sports by more than a mile.
    GR lives...

For Jetdriver: The WACA is an acronym for Western Australian Cricket Assosiation.

As far as the Ashes series goes Australia is unlikely to win them from here. It may easily come down to who wins the toss or the type of wickets provided.
    The aussies would have to win one of the remaining two tests and draw the other to reclaim the Ashes. England only needs to draw the series to retain them. The Australian top order are probably the key, if they can give the bowlers something to bowl at they have a reasonable chance of taking twenty wickets. But if they get a flat track the Poms have already demonstrated they can bat all day. They certainly seem to have a better test cricket defense than our batsman. As I said it could come down to the wickets.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Finally a thread about sports. My Patriots didn't look so good tonite but still prevailed. Looks as though they had a bunch of players with nagging injuries sit out to heal up for the play-offs. NFL football is unquestionably the best spectator sport on the planet, dwarfing obscure, old world, fringe sports by more than a mile.
    Moderators.

This guy clearly lost his way. Please redirect his post to the correct thread:

http://forums.golfreview.com/showthread.php?t=15196

Thanks & regards
    Kiwi

Now where the f#ck am I?

Moderators.

Thanks & regards
    Kiwi
    Yes, it should be a great finish to a very interesting season. On the one hand, parity in football makes it unlikely one team will run away with everything, but it sure makes for alot more drama, close games and close races.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    For Jetdriver: The WACA is an acronym for Western Australian Cricket Assosiation.

As far as the Ashes series goes Australia is unlikely to win them from here. It may easily come down to who wins the toss or the type of wickets provided.
    The aussies would have to win one of the remaining two tests and draw the other to reclaim the Ashes. England only needs to draw the series to retain them. The Australian top order are probably the key, if they can give the bowlers something to bowl at they have a reasonable chance of taking twenty wickets. But if they get a flat track the Poms have already demonstrated they can bat all day. They certainly seem to have a better test cricket defense than our batsman. As I said it could come down to the wickets.
    IMO we wil find it tough to dismiss the POMs twice at the MCG. Their batting has been very strong until the WACA, but the amount of assistance they were getting form that wicket was insane, and the quicks won't get anywhere near that amount of assistance from the MCG or SCG. My opinion is a draw or a win to the POMs in Melbourne if our top order doesn't get their act together, which leaves Sydney. I agree with you that the toss is crucial in Syndey, as whoever bats last will find the going very tough on a traditional spinning last day wicket. If England bats first they are near unbeatable wtih Swann and Panesar, but if we bat first we have a fair chance of winning. So I think you are right that the toss will be crucial, especially in Sydney.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I thought the Patriots played great. They helped me win $100 betting Green Bay +14.5. I had another $50 on Green Bay moneyline that would have paid off at +650 if they had won.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Moderators.

Thanks & regards
    Kiwi
    I'm going to recommend you for a charter membership in the new NASJWDKPAN; As everyone knows that is the "Non-American Sports Junkies Who Don't Know Proper Acronym Nomenclature."
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    I thought the Patriots played great. They helped me win $100 betting Green Bay +14.5. I had another $50 on Green Bay moneyline that would have paid off at +650 if they had won.
    Wow Sooner, you're quite the gambler. If we ever get together for a round of golf we'll need to have a good wager. Maybe you, Dave and I and another GR member can get together one of these days for a game of Wolf.

NAH Kiwi

I think that the Aussies success at the WACA was as much to do with th re-introduction of that good old Ocker tactic - sledging

I dont think the Poms are as good as you and as such we came apart like an Essex girls legs after 2 brandy and babychams.

Sledging is the key to Aussie victory, or underarm bowling if all else fails..........

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    With so many of their personnel taking the night off and Brady uncharacteristically cold, it's amazing they could still score points. A friend of mine is a Pats fan but as no. 8 seed in his rotisserie, playing the no. 1 who had Brady and Deion Branch, his team won as did he which was pretty improbable.

Looks like Belichik figured his team needed a loss or close win to get them mentally ready for the play-offs. In their nearly undefeated year their ease of winning worked against them in the end.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    IMO we wil find it tough to dismiss the POMs twice at the MCG. Their batting has been very strong until the WACA, but the amount of assistance they were getting form that wicket was insane, and the quicks won't get anywhere near that amount of assistance from the MCG or SCG. My opinion is a draw or a win to the POMs in Melbourne if our top order doesn't get their act together, which leaves Sydney. I agree with you that the toss is crucial in Syndey, as whoever bats last will find the going very tough on a traditional spinning last day wicket. If England bats first they are near unbeatable wtih Swann and Panesar, but if we bat first we have a fair chance of winning. So I think you are right that the toss will be crucial, especially in Sydney.
    Agree with NAH but....... How many of the drop in pitches are traditional these days? By all accounts the MCG pitch is going to be greener than what we are used to seeing, and i heard a good point on Inside cricket the other night, one of the most successful cricket sides ever ( west indians) had a 4 prong pace attack for years and they won on every ground. Law of averages say either Ponting or Clarke will get a big score sooner than later, and really we should have won Brisbane. So far in the three tests the Poms were only in a winning position in one (adelaide) which they did, Australia just seems to have lacked that
    killer blow which we could always rely on. Momentum plays a big part in the Ashes, and i think that might have just swung in the Aussies favour.
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy
    Agree with NAH but....... How many of the drop in pitches are traditional these days? By all accounts the MCG pitch is going to be greener than what we are used to seeing, and i heard a good point on Inside cricket the other night, one of the most successful cricket sides ever ( west indians) had a 4 prong pace attack for years and they won on every ground. Law of averages say either Ponting or Clarke will get a big score sooner than later, and really we should have won Brisbane. So far in the three tests the Poms were only in a winning position in one (adelaide) which they did, Australia just seems to have lacked that
    killer blow which we could always rely on
    . Momentum plays a big part in the Ashes, and i think that might have just swung in the Aussies favour.
    You are speakng of that killer blow that went by the name of Shane Keith Warne I take it.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

You are speakng of that killer blow that went by the name of Shane Keith Warne I take it.
    Yep, or one of the batsmen like Hayden, Ponting or Gilchrist who would score a ton at a run a ball.
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Or are you talking about the 100 texts to a married woman that was the killer blow to his latest romance with Liz Hurley?

Silly boy just doesn't know when he's got a good thing going???
    Last edited by Kiwi Player; 12-23-2010 at 02:36 AM.

Now where the f#ck am I?

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Cricket is a phucking insect. Merry xmas.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Or are you talking about the 100 texts to a married woman that was the killer blow to his latest romance with Liz Hurley?

Silly boy just doesn't know when he's got a good thing going???
    Great bowler but an absolute tool off the field.

Momentum swung back in favour of the Aussies??? Who was I kidding??? That manshaming (prison style without lube) in the Boxing Day Test was even more comprehensive than the previous manshaming in the 2nd Test.

Seeing that twat Ponting lose the plot and throw all his toys out of the cot was priceless!!! He represents the best of Aussie sportsmanship!

Didn't notice too many Aussie fielders applauding yet another majestic century by Cook today either. Gracious lot when they're losing aren't they!!!

Now where the f#ck am I?

Momentum swung back in favour of the Aussies??? Who was I kidding??? That manshaming (prison style without lube) in the Boxing Day Test was even more comprehensive than the previous manshaming in the 2nd Test.

Seeing that twat Ponting lose the plot and throw all his toys out of the cot was priceless!!! He represents the best of Aussie sportsmanship!

Didn't notice too many Aussie fielders applauding yet another majestic century by Cook today either. Gracious lot when they're losing aren't they!!!
    No doubt in the world our victory in Perth was just an abberation, which I said it was all along. The Poms have been the clearly better team for two tests, and were far more comprehensive in Melbourne than we were in Perth. Even though the rub of te green has gone the Pommys way in this Test (Cook caught off a no ball on 60 the going on to score 189), they have still performed better in this match and deserve to be in the box seat yet again. I note some of the comentators trying to keep interest saying Australia can still make 400 and make England chase 200 on the last day, but the way this going 400 won't even make England bat again.

We have had this flogging coming for a couple of years now. The last couple of summers we have had all the luck go our way and we only managed to scrape out very close victories, but our luck has run out and we are getting the spanking we deserve.

Who you guys picking in the Super Bowl?
    GR lives...

Who you guys picking in the Super Bowl?
    Who's playing?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Who's playing?
    The Patriots and some also-ran.
    GR lives...

Who's playing?
    Since the Oakland Raiders aren't in the running I'll go the Saints again.

Thread Information