|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How's Everybody's Handicap Running?

I just finished my first full year of handing in scores to have my handicap figured. The Oklahoma Golf Association does this for us and they use whatever handicapping parameters that is used by the USGA.

I ended the year with a 12.8 handicap. The highest it ever got was 13.2. It started out at a 9.8, but I don't how it was ever that low.

I like keeping a handicap because it gives me some thing to improve on. Realistically, I'd like to try and bring it down to a 10 this year. I think I can. I had a horrible Summer and the scores suffered. I just kind of lost my swing. Right now, to start the year, I am back to hitting the ball pretty decent for me.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

I'm at 12.2, and I can't see it getting too much lower. My home course is rated at 5 under so to play to 12 I have to average 7 over, which is probably achieveable as it's an easy course, but to get back to single figures would mean lots of scores around the 2 or 3 over which is hard on any course.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Nowhere. Haven't golfed since November and probably won't till April..It has snowed like a sonsa***** here.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Started out 6.2 and ended 6.0. It was a shiat parfait. One good round followed by a couple of bad then another good with a few average sprinkled here and there for good measure.

I am usually around a 6 but i am on holidays at the moment,playing a lot of golf and having a good run. So currently 4.6. So only one good game away from 4 which in truth is to low for me. i have a bit of difficulty playing to that in my club competitions.
    It was tough to score well over winter as it was long, cold and wet this last year. I drifted out to an 8. But I'm back!!
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

reached 17.9 on 3rd of Jan this year. I suppose I can finally call myself a Bogey golfer.
    Driver - Cleveland Launcher 09 12
    4 Wood - Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 17
    Hybrid - Mizuno FLI-HI CLK 20 23
    Irons - Mizuno MP-32 5-PW
    Wedges - Mizuno MP GW/SW/Cobra LW
    Putter - Mizuno Bettinardi BC1

Is this thread about the Special Olympics?
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

SBS is a sand bagger?

Down to 8.4 from 11 this year.

I had a look at all of my scores for each competitive round I have played this year, and I average 80.9, the course is a par 70, with standard scratch of 69 (standard scratch is I guess, what you guys call the course difficulty, or rating or whatever).

So in effect my average score was 12 over par, and yet my handicap has come down to 8 - go figure!

Is the R&A handicapping system flawed on these grounds. My lowest score was 73, and highest was probably somewhere in the 90s, with a very mixed bag in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    SBS is a sand bagger?
    How do you figure? His GR sanctioned scores are high nineties and high eighties. If anything, he's a vanity capper.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

Quote Originally Posted by lm0159
    Down to 8.4 from 11 this year.

I had a look at all of my scores for each competitive round I have played this year, and I average 80.9, the course is a par 70, with standard scratch of 69 (standard scratch is I guess, what you guys call the course difficulty, or rating or whatever).

So in effect my average score was 12 over par, and yet my handicap has come down to 8 - go figure!

Is the R&A handicapping system flawed on these grounds. My lowest score was 73, and highest was probably somewhere in the 90s, with a very mixed bag in between.
    No

Your handicap should reflect teh BEST you can play NOT the average. Under CONGU you would only be expected to shoot your handicap under competition around 1-2 times per year.

As such your handicap is about right

USGA handicapping is very different

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

I have played maybe a dozen rounds this past yr, counting GR matches, and I seem to be stuck at around 82. A couple rounds were in better shape but didnt finish, and i had a couple 85s ... But never did break 80 in a complete round... This year will be better.. But if I avg 82 (including several actual 82s), does that make me an 8 or 9?

Something like that. I had a couple of 39s but never put two good nines together.

So for competition call me an 8.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Mine's up. Just didn't do range time last year. I'm going to take this opportunity to confess right here that my handicap's over 30.
    GR lives...

I am screwed until probably May. Our golf season doesn't start until mid March and it ended Nov. 1st so I haven't been able to post any scores. Not that I've been playing anyhow. I played great through August, then hardly played any rounds. It's going to take awhile for my scores to reflect this. I did finish the season close to my lowest ever.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Mine's up. Just didn't do range time last year. I'm going to take this opportunity to confess right here that my handicap's over 30.
    I would have figured your handicap was between 18 and 26 year olds.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    I would have figured your handicap was between 18 and 26 year olds.
    32's the new 26. At least with Asians.
    GR lives...

Hi

Current CONGU handicap is 9.0

Aiming for 8

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Started 2010 with 14.7 USGA index and ended at 15.9. Barring further deterioration of eyesite and unforeseen injuries, I intend to end 2011 around 10.9 or lower. From the middle men's tees.

I'm glad you created this thread Sooner because I have a dilemma. I finished last summer off about 11 and began this summer playing off about 12. Determined to get down to single figures of about 8-9 I took a series of lessons and practiced in earnest but long story short it has backfired and I am currently playing some terrible golf and my cap has blown out to 14.3.

So now I am in a dilemma about which clubs to play in my match with OP (who is running hot at the moment). The GFF MP-32s won the poll but I am considering playing the MX-300s. That way I can still play GFF whilst avoiding some of the ridicule from Edgey and Famousdavis for playing blades if I shoot a lousy score. Not that I think the irons will make one iota of difference mind you. My iron play has been Ok, trouble off the tee is my main problem.

So should I play the MP-32's or the MX-300s? Perhaps a secondary poll is required?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    I'm glad you created this thread Sooner because I have a dilemma. I finished last summer off about 11 and began this summer playing off about 12. Determined to get down to single figures of about 8-9 I took a series of lessons and practiced in earnest but long story short it has backfired and I am currently playing some terrible golf and my cap has blown out to 14.3.

So now I am in a dilemma about which clubs to play in my match with OP (who is running hot at the moment). The GFF MP-32s won the poll but I am considering playing the MX-300s. That way I can still play GFF whilst avoiding some of the ridicule from Edgey and Famousdavis for playing blades if I shoot a lousy score. Not that I think the irons will make one iota of difference mind you. My iron play has been Ok, trouble off the tee is my main problem.

So should I play the MP-32's or the MX-300s? Perhaps a secondary poll is required?
    Play something that is totally unlike any clubs you've ever played before. That way, you'll have another excuse in your growing arsenal.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Play something that is totally unlike any clubs you've ever played before. That way, you'll have another excuse in your growing arsenal.
    LOL yeah I've already garnered a few from famousdavis and others:

1. I was tired after my long trip
    2. I was playing a new course
    3. I was playing with borrowed clubs
    4. I was hungry

More suggestions welcome.

Now where the f#ck am I?

4. I was hungry

Bring a neck brace too.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

So long as you break 97 you will be one up on the worst ever score in a GR sanctioned match........

The MX 300 are nice irons.

Edgey

4. I was hungry

5. I was drunk
    6. I was hungover
    7. I think somethings broken (especially if your caddy is a player)

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    So long as you break 97 you will be one up on the worst ever score in a GR sanctioned match........

The MX 300 are nice irons.

Edgey
    Touche.

To run a flame into the ground is simply poor taste and gets stale, BUT when used in context with the rest of the thread in a reply to a post in a witty sort of way, one needs to be applauded. Most of the time, you're just stale though.

Kiwi, I'd stick with some irons closer to what you play normally. I know it's a temptation to try out a different set of irons, but for competitive reasons, stick with what you know.

You already have a legitimate excuse in that this will be your first ever GR match and it will be videoed. That will make you nervous enough, believe me.

I have discovered something important from this thread . . . . . . . . . . . . . I picked the wrong freaking person to challenge in my GR matches . . . . . .

Kiwi, why don't you just negotiate more strokes and use the 32-s? OP would never say no to you.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    I have discovered something important from this thread . . . . . . . . . . . . . I picked the wrong freaking person to challenge in my GR matches . . . . . .
    can't fight geography, big guy.. ;-)

next time we play with caps.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

I finally put together a good round today, 76 on a par 72. I tried the Titleist 909 driver again on the front and kept hooking it. After 9 holes I swapped the Pings and gave the Titleist 990s another shot and hit them fantastic. Shot 2 under on the back and missed a 7 footer on the last hole. I think I hit every green on the back. Hit it to one foot on the Par 3, 185 yard 17th. The 990s have a little more weight and less offset and I feel like I can just fire away at the pin. Yes, I know it's against the rules to change clubs after 9 holes.

As for the Callaway i(s) ball, I'm not sure if I like it or not. It doesn't spin like Pro V1 but the distance is pretty good with a softer feel than, say, a NXT Tour.

Oh, and today we played behind a guy that had the new Taylormade R11 driver. His whole bag had the newest Taylormade gear and even his bag was Taylormade. He also dressed in all Adidas wear including the shorts. He must have pre-ordered the driver because I haven't see it in stores . He dressed in black and white and matched the driver, no joke.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I finally put together a good round today, 76 on a par 72. I tried the Titleist 909 driver again on the front and kept hooking it. After 9 holes I swapped the Pings and gave the Titleist 990s another shot and hit them fantastic. Shot 2 under on the back and missed a 7 footer on the last hole. I think I hit every green on the back. Hit it to one foot on the Par 3, 185 yard 17th. The 990s have a little more weight and less offset and I feel like I can just fire away at the pin. Yes, I know it's against the rules to change clubs after 9 holes.

As for the Callaway i(s) ball, I'm not sure if I like it or not. It doesn't spin like Pro V1 but the distance is pretty good with a softer feel than, say, a NXT Tour.

Oh, and today we played behind a guy that had the new Taylormade R11 driver. His whole bag had the newest Taylormade gear and even his bag was Taylormade. He also dressed in all Adidas wear including the shorts. He must have pre-ordered the driver because I haven't see it in stores . He dressed in black and white and matched the driver, no joke.
    He tried to impressed you FD

Handicap is 18.0 . Dropped from 24 about 6 months ago. Lost 3 strokes so far with the 52's in the bag. Need to work on chipping,pitching and bunker shots big time.
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Started the year at 3 and ended a little under 1.

I was happy.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Just imagine how good it could have been if not weighed down by inferior clubs on the front nine.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

That's an awesome round, FD.. bring that to Vegas :-) ... and isn't it always the case that when you get hot, you look back and see all the misses SO clearly..

I remember my 75 from a few years back, had 5 missed putts inside 4 feet. AND I missed birdie putts of 10 feet and 8 feet on the last two holes. I played that back 9 at 2 under and it should have been 4 under. :-)

I was delirious over the score, but looking back on it, it could have been SO much better!
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy
    Handicap is 18.0 . Dropped from 24 about 6 months ago. Lost 3 strokes so far with the 52's in the bag. Need to work on chipping,pitching and bunker shots big time.
    How could that be? maybe that's why it's called (G)o (F) (F)yourself ?

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    That's an awesome round, FD.. bring that to Vegas :-) ... and isn't it always the case that when you get hot, you look back and see all the misses SO clearly..

I remember my 75 from a few years back, had 5 missed putts inside 4 feet. AND I missed birdie putts of 10 feet and 8 feet on the last two holes. I played that back 9 at 2 under and it should have been 4 under. :-)

I was delirious over the score, but looking back on it, it could have been SO much better!
    Thanks Dave. If I'm honest with myself I have never hit the Ping Eye 2s as good as I hit the Ttileist 990 irons yesterday. They are perfect for me with the DGS 300 shafts. That's true about shooting a good score in that you always wish you had done even better and start looking back.

Vegas would be great or you can come to San Diego before that. It was 84 degrees here yesterday. After golf I took my family to the beach and it was packed with people swimming in an ocean that I felt was way too cold. I couldn't believe it was January and 84 degrees. It was 40 degrees cooler in Sacramento.

Touche.

To run a flame into the ground is simply poor taste and gets stale, BUT when used in context with the rest of the thread in a reply to a post in a witty sort of way, one needs to be applauded. Most of the time, you're just stale though.
    I accept your back handed and slightly bitter complement, thankyou.

I also hear your advice and will upgrade my stale flaming

Edgey

I accept your back handed and slightly bitter complement, thankyou.

I also hear your advice and will upgrade my stale flaming

Edgey
    If it helps, pretend the object of your flaming is Omen. You were serving flaming lessons with those posts while inventing new words.
    GR lives...

Here's a photo of the guy with the Taylormade R11 and complete Adidas attire...even underwear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xxtaylormade dude.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	2588  

Here's a photo of the guy with the Taylormade R11 and complete Adidas attire...even underwear.
    Great information and glad you stopped short of telling us how you knew the brand of his underwear.

Holy s.hit, it's BJ!

FD, is that the course in Penasquitos?
    GR lives...

If it helps, pretend the object of your flaming is Omen. You were serving flaming lessons with those posts while inventing new words.
    Omen was a great foil, articulate, witty and fearless. He brought out the very best (and worst) in me.

GR seems to have become a little gentler and as such less challenging.

Edgey

Omen was a great foil, articulate, witty and fearless. He brought out the very best (and worst) in me.

Edgey
    We seem to be going through a civil phase where most people have learned to like one another, which sucks.

I try and instigate and squabble myself when I can, but it's not enough. We used to have donnybrooks going on around here that spilled into adjacent threads.
    GR lives...

Edgey
    Omen made a cameo appearance last week and I thought perhaps he was back permanently. Did you get a chance to reacquaint?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Omen made a cameo appearance last week and I thought perhaps he was back permanently. Did you get a chance to reacquaint?
    I am afraid that his cameo's do not allow us time to develop our mutual animosity.

I miss the vitriol, cruelty, perniciousness and mean spirited nature of the old GR.

Edgey

I am afraid that his cameo's do not allow us time to develop our mutual animosity.

I miss the vitriol, cruelty, perniciousness and mean spirited nature of the old GR.

Edgey
    \

Hmm ... yes ... how did this happen? We became civilised?

Now where the f#ck am I?

I am impressed... looks like he can drive 283.5 yds with this stick

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    Great information and glad you stopped short of telling us how you knew the brand of his underwear.
    Educated guess. Since he had Adidas shoes, socks, shorts, shirt, glove and Taylormade hat I had to assume he went all the way (with whom I have no idea).

Holy s.hit, it's BJ!

No, we played at Eagle Crest in Escondido. Here's a pic of the weather yesteray.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xx eagle.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	2589  

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy
    Nice work Rooboy. 1 more stroke and they will have achieved the GR Certification of Excellence.

I am flying into Launceston tomorrow but unfortunately Virgin Blue has changed it's flight schedule and we are having to catch a later connecting flight from Melbourne so instead of getting into Launceston in the morning we'll get in late in the day and have a half day wait in Melbourne airport.

I checked with SWMBO and unfortunately the itinerary is pretty full, especially with the lost day, so no chance for a game. Looking forward to seeing the place though. This is my first trip to Tassie so looking forward to seeing the sights and sampling the local ales.

Now where the f#ck am I?

No, we played at Eagle Crest in Escondido. Here's a pic of the weather yesteray.
    And that's winter?

Wow what a sweet looking course.

Now where the f#ck am I?

And that's winter?

Wow what a sweet looking course.
    Not bad for $28 including cart on a Sunday. Golfnow is great and lots of courses around here have e-mail specials. One I particularly like is $28 on Fridays that includes a buffet breakfast, cart and 18 holes. I'll buy that for a dollar!

Some good holes at Eagle Crest, that's one of them. This is the time to golf. In a big rain year you usually get a few weeks of drop dead blue sky, green hills and perfect temp in January. Then as Feb approaches the rains come back.

I head out to play as soon as I finish my leftover slow cooked chicken breasts, onions, poblano peppers, mushrooms, chipotle, artichoke hearts on a bed of fusilli, all smothered in a balsamic/olive oil sauce. Mmmm......
    GR lives...

Some good holes at Eagle Crest, that's one of them. This is the time to golf. In a big rain year you usually get a few weeks of drop dead blue sky, green hills and perfect temp in January. Then as Feb approaches the rains come back.

I head out to play as soon as I finish my leftover slow cooked chicken breasts, onions, poblano peppers, mushrooms, chipotle, artichoke hearts on a bed of fusilli, all smothered in a balsamic/olive oil sauce. Mmmm......
    We played at Vineyard the day before. With the exception of holes 2 & 3 I really enjoy that course and it's in fantastic condition. However, it's a little expensive and way too slow for me. Too many people of a particular descent play there.

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)
    I just finished my first full year of handing in scores to have my handicap figured. The Oklahoma Golf Association does this for us and they use whatever handicapping parameters that is used by the USGA.

I ended the year with a 12.8 handicap. The highest it ever got was 13.2. It started out at a 9.8, but I don't how it was ever that low.

I like keeping a handicap because it gives me some thing to improve on. Realistically, I'd like to try and bring it down to a 10 this year. I think I can. I had a horrible Summer and the scores suffered. I just kind of lost my swing. Right now, to start the year, I am back to hitting the ball pretty decent for me.
    Last summer was the first where my handicap was basically stagnant. I didn't play nearly as much as in years past and I didn't practice with my usual frequency and enthusiasm either.

So I'm still just over 9 (9.3).

Oh well.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP2 w/Project X shafts 3-PW
    Cleveland 52°, Titleist Vokey 56° & 60°
    Tommy Armour Model 6 putter.

We played at Vineyard the day before. With the exception of holes 2 & 3 I really enjoy that course and it's in fantastic condition. However, it's a little expensive and way too slow for me. Too many people of a particular descent play there.
    Don't think I've played the Vineyard. I'm not of that particular descent but I date as many of them as possible so maybe they'd let me in.

I think ever since Marco Polo explored China, us guineas have a soft spot for Asian. My current golfs and runs/skips/bounces back to the cart after a good tee shot. She's a-ok.
    GR lives...

Don't think I've played the Vineyard. I'm not of that particular descent but I date as many of them as possible so maybe they'd let me in.

I think ever since Marco Polo explored China, us guineas have a soft spot for Asian. My current golfs and runs/skips/bounces back to the cart after a good tee shot. She's a-ok.
    I have long demanded a swing vid from you, but now I will settle for a few seconds of her returning to the cart. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

I do not believe in keeping a cap. If I play a better player, and I score higher than they do I loose, its that simple. What is this a socialist commie sport? What is this shot wellfare? I played an old relative that I had not seen for years a few months ago and this guy picks up the ball and fixes his lie all the time. Hell I would be scratch if I did that. I wonder how many caps are real anyways. I score in the mid 80s on a decent day if I do not do too many stupid things. If I played more and stuck to one set of clubs I would probably do better. I do not expect to beat anyone that scores that particular day lower per stroke or hole lower than me. I do not believe that anyone can honestly say that they beat anyone when they got a worse score than the other guy. I see the "competative match" point in it but I do not see how it is sportsmanlike.
    Last edited by jetdriver; 01-18-2011 at 12:41 PM.
    ... a tree branch, or my foot.

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    I have long demanded a swing vid from you, but now I will settle for a few seconds of her returning to the cart. :-)
    Yes, you would. But this one might be around for a while so I'm trying hard not to screw it up.
    GR lives...

We seem to be going through a civil phase where most people have learned to like one another, which sucks.

I try and instigate and squabble myself when I can, but it's not enough. We used to have donnybrooks going on around here that spilled into adjacent threads.
    I can't remember the last time someone posted a long winded tirade announcing their departure from GR. It seems like it used to happen every other week. I think part of the problem is the new member screening process limits the influx of newbies. I haven't read the phrase "STFU, newby!" in quite a while. It's sad what has happened here.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    I can't remember the last time someone posted a long winded tirade announcing their departure from GR. It seems like it used to happen every other week. I think part of the problem is the new member screening process limits the influx of newbies. I haven't read the phrase "STFU, newby!" in quite a while. It's sad what has happened here.
    Is it difficult to become a new member of GR? What kind of screening process are you talking about? Silk Screening?

Is it difficult to become a new member of GR? What kind of screening process are you talking about? Silk Screening?
    If I'm not mistaken, because of the spam epidemic, people can't just join instantly anymore. That's all I know.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

Quote Originally Posted by jetdriver
    I do not believe in keeping a cap. If I play a better player, and I score higher than they do I loose, its that simple. What is this a socialist commie sport? What is this shot wellfare? I played an old relative that I had not seen for years a few months ago and this guy picks up the ball and fixes his lie all the time. Hell I would be scratch if I did that. I wonder how many caps are real anyways. I score in the mid 80s on a decent day if I do not do too many stupid things. If I played more and stuck to one set of clubs I would probably do better. I do not expect to beat anyone that scores that particular day lower per stroke or hole lower than me. I do not believe that anyone can honestly say that they beat anyone when they got a worse score than the other guy. I see the "competative match" point in it but I do not see how it is sportsmanlike.
    I sort of agree with this, but also don't.

There has been many a year where Tiger has had a scoring average in the 67-68 range, and he generally only plays on the hardest courses. A guy like Kenny Perry could come in with a scoring average of 71 on his mickey mouse courses and be a much higher handicap, but you wouldn't give him strokes.

Recreational golf is a little different. It keeps the matches interesting and betting fun. You aren't going to get a 20 handicap who has been playing 1 year to take a bet vs. a 5 handicap who has been playing 20 years.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist

There has been many a year where Tiger has had a scoring average in the 67-68 range, and he generally only plays on the hardest courses. A guy like Kenny Perry could come in with a scoring average of 71 on his mickey mouse courses and be a much higher handicap, but you wouldn't give him strokes.

Recreational golf is a little different. It keeps the matches interesting and betting fun. You aren't going to get a 20 handicap who has been playing 1 year to take a bet vs. a 5 handicap who has been playing 20 years.
    I agree with this. I'm playing off 19 right now (awesome, I know!) If I was going to play a buddy of mine who was a 10, for bets we would use caps. If I shot a 91 to his 83 and won, I wouldn't get in his face and fist pump, because we both know he's better, I would gladly take his cash as those were the pre-established terms. As far as tourneys go, I don't play in them. I don't feel like I am good enough. I can't imagine anyone at my ability level wanting to play in comps. As far as comps, handicaps just invite sandbaggery.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist

I absolutely agree with this. It's what makes golf fun and gives you the ability to play a competitive game with people that shoot anywhere from 72 to 95. That being said, I don't believe that anyone should be able to have a handicap over 25. I think you need to work on your game and dedicate yourself to breaking 100 every time if you want to play in net tournaments. Otherwise, you're getting 2 strokes on many holes and it starts to become meaningless.

I used to play in a skins game where it was gross skins only. The buy-in was around $30 and you'd have a range of handicaps from scratch to 15. Most of these guys were brothers down at Chester Washington in Los Angeles. The scratch players would argue that it's a skins game and that anyone can make a birdie on any given hole. What really surprised me was that the 15 handicappers would say the same thing. This is proof positive that one needn't be intelligent to play golf. If you are a 15 handicap and you think you have a good chance, over a year's time, of making as much money at gross skins as a scratch player then you are indeed an idiot.

It may be true that a 15 handicap can birdie any given hole. However, it's also true that a scratch player gets a hell of a lot more birdies than a 15 handicap. So, gee, I wonder who will win more $$$ over time?

Yeap, I see you guys' point too. I just do not bet with people I play with anyways so it does not matter much. I have nothing against wagering though.

Quote Originally Posted by jetdriver
    Yeap, I see you guys' point too. I just do not bet with people I play with anyways so it does not matter much. I have nothing against wagering though.
    I think having a golf bet makes it a lot more fun. Sometimes I'll take up to $50 from my buddies. When I accept the money, I usually act like I hate taking it. It's not until I get back to the privacy of my home that I start running my victory laps and throwing money up into the air. I love the green.

Great view... Is Escondido close to Poway? I have a friend who lives there and i really like that area

Great view... Is Escondido close to Poway? I have a friend who lives there and i really like that area
    It's about 5 miles away to the North. Escondido has a small area that's pretty nice but the rest isn't so great. Poway is very nice.

Escondido...I think I used to pass through there on the way to Palomar Observatory. I used to sneak up there whenever I was in San Diego. I took a different way one day and ended up in a big a$$ casino in the middle of nowhere up there somewhere.

I think having a golf bet makes it a lot more fun. Sometimes I'll take up to $50 from my buddies. When I accept the money, I usually act like I hate taking it. It's not until I get back to the privacy of my home that I start running my victory laps and throwing money up into the air. I love the green.
    Absolutely. Golf without betting isn't really golf. I can't remember the last time I played a round without a little something on the line.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Absolutely. Golf without betting isn't really golf. I can't remember the last time I played a round without a little something on the line.
    Ditto. We play the club comp round but throw up the balls on the first tee to decide the pairings then play pairs matchplay for the food and drinks after a round. It certainly gives a little spice to the round, with plenty of sledgeing (friendly). The after round snacks always taste better when you don't have to pay for them.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Holy s.hit, it's BJ!

As soon as I saw that pic I thought it must have been BJ. Or a very well dressed Sasquatch.

Edgey
    Even my arch tormentor, GHD, hasn't been making his usual abusive replies to my posts. Not to menton a noticeable lack of Alan/Larry action.
    Spank has been trying to pick up an enemy, but hasnt had any takers yet.

Nice work Rooboy. 1 more stroke and they will have achieved the GR Certification of Excellence.

I am flying into Launceston tomorrow but unfortunately Virgin Blue has changed it's flight schedule and we are having to catch a later connecting flight from Melbourne so instead of getting into Launceston in the morning we'll get in late in the day and have a half day wait in Melbourne airport.

I checked with SWMBO and unfortunately the itinerary is pretty full, especially with the lost day, so no chance for a game. Looking forward to seeing the place though. This is my first trip to Tassie so looking forward to seeing the sights and sampling the local ales.
    Bummer, i am just getting to the end of 2 weeks holidays otherwise i would have joined you and OP in Melb. If you can, take the missus on the Boags Brewery tour, she and you will love it. At the end of it, you will get ample beer and your missus will know what type of cheese and other food to match with the type of beer your drinking (if she already doesn't)!!
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

How could that be? maybe that's why it's called (G)o (F) (F)yourself ?
    i know,i know - i was under the pretense that losing 4 strokes was mandatory and would happen automatically. Looks like i will have to cut back my beer consumption and make an effort dammit!
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Ditto. We play the club comp round but throw up the balls on the first tee to decide the pairings then play pairs matchplay for the food and drinks after a round. It certainly gives a little spice to the round, with plenty of sledgeing (friendly). The after round snacks always taste better when you don't have to pay for them.
    Playing in a foursome and then having a match with two-man teams is a perfect example of how handicaps make the game more enjoyable for everyone. We usually play junk as well such as greenies, birdies, sandies and polies. Of course, the low handicap has an advantage with the junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Even my arch tormentor, GHD, hasn't been making his usual abusive replies to my posts. Not to menton a noticeable lack of Alan/Larry action.
    Spank has been trying to pick up an enemy, but hasnt had any takers yet.
    GR has become "soft"

Sad days

Edgey

GR has become "soft"

Sad days

Edgey
    With my new irons and my new game there's no one on this forum that could beat me. I'll take anyone on. Bring it.

With my new irons and my new game there's no one on this forum that could beat me. I'll take anyone on. Bring it.
    FD

I have a standing offer to any American/Italian/Kiwi/Aussie/Brit to come to my home course and try to take my title.

Hell, i will even put you up free of charge

Edgey

FD

I have a standing offer to any American/Italian/Kiwi/Aussie/Brit to come to my home course and try to take my title.

Edgey
    Very tempting. As a 30 I'd be getting 21 strokes, although I probably wouldn't be able to play to a 30 unless I bring my own food.
    GR lives...

FD

Edgey
    I think you'd enjoy San Diego more than I'd enjoy dreary old England. We'd play 36 holes on a championship course and I'm pretty sure we'd be done by the 27th with me holding the trophy and you wondering what happened. I'd buy you some fish and chips so you wouldn't get homesick and then I'd send you back on your long flight to ponder my greatness.

GR has become "soft"

Sad days

Edgey
    You mean there are less puffed up, biggoted, insecure, d!ckheads around here?
    Yes I had noticed that.

Very tempting. As a 30 I'd be getting 21 strokes, although I probably wouldn't be able to play to a 30 unless I bring my own food.
    Lorenzo, I just read your new sig and pissed my pants. I'm at a loss. Say it ain't so. This is just a joke.....right?
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

FD

Edgey
    This is a great idea! the clash of GR's most ardent advocates (of their own point of view). This could bring on some serious trash talking and the highest stakes match ever.
    We would wait with baited breath to see which one of them could back up the talk with the walk.
    The only thing you can know for sure is pings would be the weapon of choice.
    Shovels at twenty paces !!

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    Lorenzo, I just read your new sig and pissed my pants. I'm at a loss. Say it ain't so. This is just a joke.....right?
    We're hammering out the pre-nup so things could go side-ways. Her attorney's a real d.ickhead. But I think I can force her hand on most remaining issues. Unfortunately, knowing her she's thinking the same.

My leverage is prolonging the negotiations works to my advantage and I'm also dangling a trip if she caves on a few of the stickier points. But she has her ways of getting me to cave, too.

While It's a tough negotiation I've gotten through tougher. I've optimistically calendared a Q4 marriage.
    GR lives...

We're hammering out the pre-nup so things could go side-ways. Her attorney's a real d.ickhead. But I think I can force her hand on most remaining issues. Unfortunately, knowing her she's thinking the same.

My leverage is prolonging the negotiations works to my advantage and I'm also dangling a trip if she caves on a few of the stickier points. But she has her ways of getting me to cave, too.

While It's a tough negotiation I've gotten through tougher. I've optimistically calendared a Q4 marriage.
    The most important piece of a prenup is not allowing her to go over a certain weight. It should state that if she goes over a certain number of pounds then you have the right to divorce and she gets nothing.

The most important piece of a prenup is not allowing her to go over a certain weight. It should state that if she goes over a certain number of pounds then you have the right to divorce and she gets nothing.
    Mutual annual renewable options. Her bargaining power declines faster than yours. Annual vesting beginning in the first year is market. To fight that's just pissing into the wind.
    GR lives...

Mutual annual renewable options. Her bargaining power declines faster than yours. Annual vesting beginning in the first year is market. To fight that's just pissing into the wind.
    Zo, you can't have a pre-nup until you have had a GR poll (with photos of course )
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

If this is true, you are hereby stripped of The Relationship Guru title.
    Welcome to just being regular old Zo.
    PS
    Congratulations
    PPS
    What the hell are you thinking?
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

PS
    Congratulations
    PPS

+1

PS
    Congratulations
    PPS

I must also agree with this.

As a 15 year veteran of the War On Bachelorhood, you have my deepest condolences.

Fare thee well, regular old Zo.

Seriously though, congratulations.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Hell with a prenup. RUN!!!!!!
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

PS
    Congratulations
    PPS
    One moment I don't know what I'm thinking, the next moment I just can't pass on this. But thanks. Sometimes I guess you just have to trust your instincts.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by jt1135
    Hell with a prenup. RUN!!!!!!
    I tried that. Didn't get very far.
    GR lives...

You should go to some male dominated country, like Yugoslavia, to get married and live. Their divorce laws are very much in favour of the male. Although it probably wouldn't be worth having to live there, how many ways can you cook cabbage?

Just my opinion, but, if people demand a prenup then I think the marriage is doomed in the first place. Lack of trust would be an issue to me. I realize that it is done to protect each individual in the contract, but a legal contract about who gets what if they get divorced is not a good way to start a marriage.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1135
    Just my opinion, but, if people demand a prenup then I think the marriage is doomed in the first place. Lack of trust would be an issue to me. I realize that it is done to protect each individual in the contract, but a legal contract about who gets what if they get divorced is not a good way to start a marriage.
    I wouldn't give a fuk about a pre nup as I don't have enough money to worry about it, but I agree with your thoughts. Far better to never get married in the first place, and if you have lots of money insist on living in seperate abodes so she can't go for you under de facto status.

I still don't buy it.
    If this is a hoax it will be the best one since Dorkman died.

Thread Information