|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Ping Putter Revelation

Folks,

After being a bladed no offset "bulls eye" and 8802 style putter user for a long time, and not having success with any type of Ping putter, I have discovered something. I have discovered that when I use the Ping putter in my sweeping Ben Crenshaw or Phil Mickelson type stroke the Ping putter will hit a putt off line more often. But when I use a quick solid "pop" stroke the Ping putter will hit the ball online more often. The quick Ping pop stroke is necessary because of the putter being offset. I have tried to understand this concept for years and you all thought I was crazy, but are there any avid old Karsten era Ping users that agree with me, who were blade putter users before? And with the rise of cavity back Ping style putters over the years I have realized that this is the reason why this type of putter is so popular. I have never understood the popularity of the Ping style putter until now. All it is is just a little pop stroke and the ball will stay online to the hole.

Please share your thoughts with me to make me feel even more crazy.
    Herb Sewell

I have recently reverted to a pop stroke after years of trying to Crenshaw the putts. It worked great when I was playing only private club courses with tight, perfect bent greens but encountered major suckage on every other lesser surface. Watch the black and whites of the old timers. Many of the best were poppers-- Player, Palmer, Nicklaus, and, best of all, Bobby Locke. Of course the greens they competed on were frequently bumpy and hardly ever speedy by today's standards.

Thread Information