|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Results 1 to 35 of 35
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Any
    Posts
    1,270
    Rep Power
    14

    So I was looking over HB thread about a new driver...

    and looking at the torque of the shaft. Torque is something I really dont understand or pretend to understand. HB seems to like it - NaH doesnt....

    If a shaft has higher torque what does that mean?
    Lower torque?

    When I hit my Cally diablo edge tour w/ the Habanero I really liked it, everything about it. Shaft specs had a torque of 5.2 in S flex.

    I have my g15 shafted with a torque of 3.8.

    Since I recently had knee surgery I havent given the g15 a proper trial...

    But is 1.4 less of torque going to really mean that much?
    Just wondering what everyones thoughts were on torque or do they pay attention to it at all?

    I did run across a youtube video of some dood saying that handsy players might prefer higher torque...not sure how all of that fits....
    thx

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,934
    Rep Power
    28
    This could best be explained by Peter Tork.

    Tork on Tourque
    GR lives...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bear Creek DFW
    Posts
    3,741
    Rep Power
    15
    Torque, or the amount a shaft will twist, was huge in the first graphite shafts... 20 in todays terms instead of 3.8... Shafts twist very little these days... Better for control.. Twist is part of loading the shaft but its close to irrelevant with todays graphite mesh technology.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,981
    Rep Power
    28
    The 3.8 torque should feel a lot more solid from my experience. You will find that you can go harder at the ball without fear of losingit right of left on a good swing. 3.8 isn't really low, but is getting into the lower end of shaft torque. 5.2 should feel like a wet noodle.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    barnbougle dunes
    Posts
    3,496
    Rep Power
    16
    Torque is the measurment of how much the shaft twists (at the tip) when force is applied. If you grap a driver head and hold the grip with the other hand you can try and twist the clubhead and feel how much resistance there is. The lower the torque number the more it will resist twisting.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    ChiselCreek
    Posts
    3,990
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    The 3.8 torque should feel a lot more solid from my experience. You will find that you can go harder at the ball without fear of losingit right of left on a good swing. 3.8 isn't really low, but is getting into the lower end of shaft torque. 5.2 should feel like a wet noodle.
    NAH... don't give me the shžittt about you can tell the difference between 3.8 vs. 5.2 torque

    http://golf.about.com/od/faqs/f/torque.htm

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    NAH... don't give me the shžittt about you can tell the difference between 3.8 vs. 5.2 torque

    http://golf.about.com/od/faqs/f/torque.htm
    I once knew a french guy named Lou Torque. He was one of the most stubborn and inflexible people I've ever known. He sure could drink his booze and had a high bend point with very high tolerance. On the positive side, he was very firm and certainly wouldn't move from side to side without a lot of pressure.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    magnolia
    Posts
    2,040
    Rep Power
    15
    When you go take a piss with the morning woody and you push down and your heels pop up. Thats torque
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by jt1135
    When you go take a piss with the morning woody and you push down and your heels pop up. Thats torque
    The morning hard on. I'll put that up against a Ginsu knife any day.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Livin' the dream at the SPCC
    Posts
    8,510
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    and looking at the torque of the shaft. Torque is something I really dont understand or pretend to understand. HB seems to like it - NaH doesnt....

    If a shaft has higher torque what does that mean?
    Lower torque?

    When I hit my Cally diablo edge tour w/ the Habanero I really liked it, everything about it. Shaft specs had a torque of 5.2 in S flex.

    I have my g15 shafted with a torque of 3.8.

    Since I recently had knee surgery I havent given the g15 a proper trial...

    But is 1.4 less of torque going to really mean that much?
    Just wondering what everyones thoughts were on torque or do they pay attention to it at all?

    I did run across a youtube video of some dood saying that handsy players might prefer higher torque...not sure how all of that fits....
    thx
    Trust your real world results.
    BTW, the correct answer is that you won't notice a difference in twisting with any shaft made in the past 5 years.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

    *Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The easiest
    Posts
    6,334
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    and looking at the torque of the shaft. Torque is something I really dont understand or pretend to understand. HB seems to like it - NaH doesnt....

    If a shaft has higher torque what does that mean?
    Lower torque?

    When I hit my Cally diablo edge tour w/ the Habanero I really liked it, everything about it. Shaft specs had a torque of 5.2 in S flex.

    I have my g15 shafted with a torque of 3.8.

    Since I recently had knee surgery I havent given the g15 a proper trial...

    But is 1.4 less of torque going to really mean that much?
    Just wondering what everyones thoughts were on torque or do they pay attention to it at all?

    I did run across a youtube video of some dood saying that handsy players might prefer higher torque...not sure how all of that fits....
    thx
    I am old and have frequent ankle and knee pains and weaknesses and have been experimenting with driver shafts for the past year. Since I don't generate a whole lot of clubhead speed, I find it difficult to load a stiff shaft and used to think that low torque automatically meant that the shaft would play stiffer than a higher torque shaft. This is not necessarily so, thank goodness. I have one driver with a regular flex Proforce V2 shaft that is a bit heavier than I'd ever played before--75 grams uncut. However, it has a very low 2.2* torque rating, about the lowest torque of any regular flex shaft that I've found. Even though it flexes and loads easily for me, the clubhead, and the head attached is a 460 cc 905R, does not wobble around like it might in a higher torque shaft and I can hit the damn thing as hard as I can and all it wants to do is go straight. As a matter of fact, the harder I go at it, the straighter and farther it goes.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Any
    Posts
    1,270
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Trust your real world results.
    BTW, the correct answer is that you won't notice a difference in twisting with any shaft made in the past 5 years.
    Think I might shaft that G15 with a Habanero.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Any
    Posts
    1,270
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by mongrel
    I am old and have frequent ankle and knee pains and weaknesses and have been experimenting with driver shafts for the past year. Since I don't generate a whole lot of clubhead speed, I find it difficult to load a stiff shaft and used to think that low torque automatically meant that the shaft would play stiffer than a higher torque shaft. This is not necessarily so, thank goodness. I have one driver with a regular flex Proforce V2 shaft that is a bit heavier than I'd ever played before--75 grams uncut. However, it has a very low 2.2* torque rating, about the lowest torque of any regular flex shaft that I've found. Even though it flexes and loads easily for me, the clubhead, and the head attached is a 460 cc 905R, does not wobble around like it might in a higher torque shaft and I can hit the damn thing as hard as I can and all it wants to do is go straight. As a matter of fact, the harder I go at it, the straighter and farther it goes.
    I have heard nothing but good things about the UST shaft lineup. Glad that works for you. Appreciate the info.

    The UST Avix Green is a shaft I was also looking at.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    I have heard nothing but good things about the UST shaft lineup. Glad that works for you. Appreciate the info.

    The UST Avix Green is a shaft I was also looking at.
    I'm being absolutely serious when I say that I don't like graphite shafts that have a dull finish to them. The UST shafts always come to mind. To me, a duller shaft always has a very stiff look to it whereas a shiny shaft looks more flexible. An example of a shiny shaft would be the Aldila Voodoo shaft and an example of a dull shaft would be that UST purple and yellow shaft. The worst is a black shaft with a dull finish. Those look extremely stiff. I think it translates to you overswinging. Just because they didn't put enough varnish on the shaft!!!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Any
    Posts
    1,270
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I'm being absolutely serious when I say that I don't like graphite shafts that have a dull finish to them. The UST shafts always come to mind. To me, a duller shaft always has a very stiff look to it whereas a shiny shaft looks more flexible. An example of a shiny shaft would be the Aldila Voodoo shaft and an example of a dull shaft would be that UST purple and yellow shaft. The worst is a black shaft with a dull finish. Those look extremely stiff. I think it translates to you overswinging. Just because they didn't put enough varnish on the shaft!!!
    Undoubtedly some truth in there if you ask me....the space between your ears is often what screws me....something has to look good and meet approval. I know the Titleist Vokey Wedges are very good and probably the most used out there - but I just cant hit them. I just dont like the way they look at address and I cant get past that. Im mental.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,981
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    I have heard nothing but good things about the UST shaft lineup. Glad that works for you. Appreciate the info.

    The UST Avix Green is a shaft I was also looking at.
    I've always thought UST are the best shafts for the money you can get. My favourite was the old Pro Force 75 stiff (the purple and yellow one), that was an awesome shaft. I wish I didn't sell my Cally GBB with that shaft in it, I'd love to have one to put in my current drivers but I can't find that model anywhere. The V2 is a good shaft too, but they are moire expensive than the old faithful Pro Force 75. I still see plenty of Pro Force 65s around, but IMO they were inferior to the 75. I'm alwayslooking in bargan bins to see if they have any old cheap POS driver with a 75 stiff in it to swap out, but I've only seen 65s so far.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Any
    Posts
    1,270
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    I've always thought UST are the best shafts for the money you can get. My favourite was the old Pro Force 75 stiff (the purple and yellow one), that was an awesome shaft. I wish I didn't sell my Cally GBB with that shaft in it, I'd love to have one to put in my current drivers but I can't find that model anywhere. The V2 is a good shaft too, but they are moire expensive than the old faithful Pro Force 75. I still see plenty of Pro Force 65s around, but IMO they were inferior to the 75. I'm alwayslooking in bargan bins to see if they have any old cheap POS driver with a 75 stiff in it to swap out, but I've only seen 65s so far.
    Is this it?

    http://www.martingolfusa.com/79.html

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,981
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    In all it's beauty. Great price, I'd snap that up if they offered it over here for that. I might look around, but I doubt they'd be anywhere near that. I want ot put one in my TEE Tour Proto, the VS Proto 70 stiff it came with is a dog.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Any
    Posts
    1,270
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    In all it's beauty. Great price, I'd snap that up if they offered it over here for that. I might look around, but I doubt they'd be anywhere near that. I want ot put one in my TEE Tour Proto, the VS Proto 70 stiff it came with is a dog.
    Havent the foggiest what shipping would cost. If your serious about it - I could call them and see how much they would charge. No worries.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,981
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    Havent the foggiest what shipping would cost. If your serious about it - I could call them and see how much they would charge. No worries.
    It would be too expensive, and anyway I only do cash deals or other things that don't show up on bank statements. Thanks for the offer though.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by jt1135
    When you go take a piss with the morning woody and you push down and your heels pop up. Thats torque
    That sounds like leverage not torque. Torque involves twisting and twisting the morning woody might prove a little painful.

    I suppose you could always twist a softy later in the day if you wanted to wring the last few drops out but a couple of shakes usually does the trick for me.
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,981
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    That sounds like leverage not torque. Torque involves twisting and twisting the morning woody might prove a little painful.

    I suppose you could always twist a softy later in the day if you wanted to wring the last few drops out but a couple of shakes usually does the trick for me.
    Morning wood is definitely low torque.

    BTW, have you and OP had your match already.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,934
    Rep Power
    28
    Leverage is when her hips are lower than yours. Torque is when it's in the process of changing.
    GR lives...

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The easiest
    Posts
    6,334
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    Couple of months ago I had one of those in 65 grams and regular flex put into a 983K full bore insertion. The shafts were on sale at Golf Galaxy for like $39.95. This shaft is inferior to the 75 gram regular flex V2 I've got in my 905R, again installed all the way through. The V2 cost $49.95 on sale and is a much better shaft.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Morning wood is definitely low torque.

    BTW, have you and OP had your match already.
    Yep played yesterday in beautiful conditions on OP's home course. It is a fantastic layout. OP schooled me 3 & 1, the match was dormie with OP 2 up after 16. I then butchered the 17th. After foolishly hamming it up for the GR Camera I lost my concentration and blocked a GFF 5 iron into the crap. OP got up and down from a sand trap to save par and that was the match.

    Great day out though and it was a pleasure to meet OP, who is an absolute gentlemen, and play his home course, which as I said is a great layout. There are two courses and whilst I would love to play that track again I would also like to play the second course sometime in the future if I get the chance.
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Yep played yesterday in beautiful conditions on OP's home course. It is a fantastic layout. OP schooled me 3 & 1, the match was dormie with OP 2 up after 16. I then butchered the 17th. After foolishly hamming it up for the GR Camera I lost my concentration and blocked a GFF 5 iron into the crap. OP got up and down from a sand trap to save par and that was the match.

    Great day out though and it was a pleasure to meet OP, who is an absolute gentlemen, and play his home course, which as I said is a great layout. There are two courses and whilst I would love to play that track again I would also like to play the second course sometime in the future if I get the chance.
    If it makes you feel any better that's the same way Dave beat me in our first match. He was 2 up with 2 to play. What clubs did you borrow from him? It sounds to me like GFF is zero in matchplay wins. I'm talking true GFF, not MX-200 ping pong paddle GFF.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    If it makes you feel any better that's the same way Dave beat me in our first match. He was 2 up with 2 to play. What clubs did you borrow from him? It sounds to me like GFF is zero in matchplay wins. I'm talking true GFF, not MX-200 ping pong paddle GFF.
    Mp-32's which were very nice sticks. In all seriousness that blocked 5 iron was the only shot the GFF cost me all day. My problems were mainly off the tee and a few three putts early on. None of which were equipment related I might add. All to do with the idiot swinging the club.

    OP had some Tourstage CB's that he brought for me to try too. I hit the six iron a couple times on the range and it felt great but I felt I had to play GFF for GR's sake. Not to do so would be like you not playing the Eye 2's.
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Mp-32's which were very nice sticks. In all seriousness that blocked 5 iron was the only shot the GFF cost me all day. My problems were mainly off the tee and a few three putts early on. None of which were equipment related I might add. All to do with the idiot swinging the club.

    OP had some Tourstage CB's that he brought for me to try too. I hit the six iron a couple times on the range and it felt great but I felt I had to play GFF for GR's sake. Not to do so would be like you not playing the Eye 2's.
    I had a couple of 3 putts in my first match with dave. There's nothing worse than 3 putting in match play. It makes you sick to your stomach.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,981
    Rep Power
    28
    Where the fark is the sticky and video link Kiwi?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Where the fark is the sticky and video link Kiwi?
    OP has the video. I'm sure he will arrange to post it in due course.
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    barnbougle dunes
    Posts
    3,496
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    OP has the video. I'm sure he will arrange to post it in due course.
    May have to wait a little while for the video. I had a mate shoot a lot of footage of the day and it needs to go to Dave P. for post production. It will take a bit of editing to make it watchable. Stay tuned.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,189
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Mp-32's which were very nice sticks. In all seriousness that blocked 5 iron was the only shot the GFF cost me all day. My problems were mainly off the tee and a few three putts early on. None of which were equipment related I might add. All to do with the idiot swinging the club.

    OP had some Tourstage CB's that he brought for me to try too. I hit the six iron a couple times on the range and it felt great but I felt I had to play GFF for GR's sake. Not to do so would be like you not playing the Eye 2's.
    You're a good man, Kiwi. You must have played pretty well all things considered because I have a feeling OP is a low handicap golfer. I'm glad you guys had fun . . . . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    You're a good man, Kiwi. You must have played pretty well all things considered because I have a feeling OP is a low handicap golfer. I'm glad you guys had fun . . . . . .
    I agree. He took the loss like a man and silently admitted that he should have chosen the Ping Eye 2 BeCu irons. It takes guts to do that.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bear Creek DFW
    Posts
    3,741
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    May have to wait a little while for the video. I had a mate shoot a lot of footage of the day and it needs to go to Dave P. for post production. It will take a bit of editing to make it watchable. Stay tuned.
    studio warmed up and ready.. :-)

    the trophy for the first southern hemisphere gr match play championship must be held upside down in all commemorative photos, so it will look right to those of us who are in the normal hemisphere.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    studio warmed up and ready.. :-)

    the trophy for the first southern hemisphere gr match play championship must be held upside down in all commemorative photos, so it will look right to those of us who are in the normal hemisphere.
    We did better than that.Out of consideration for you NH guys Oldplayer & I stood on our heads for all match day photos.
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. NFL Thread 2009 (Official Thread)
    By Horseballs in forum Non-Golf Discussion
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: 01-12-2010, 05:46 AM
  2. The GR Sex Thread...Had Any Lately?
    By lorenzoinoc in forum Non-Golf Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-22-2009, 09:35 PM
  3. Another Pointless Thread
    By GrainFlowForged in forum Golf Discussion
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 07-20-2008, 10:08 PM
  4. serious moderator thread.
    By Omen2 in forum Golf Discussion
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-05-2007, 05:13 PM
  5. What happened to my Thread?
    By Chachi in forum Golf Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-02-2004, 07:33 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •