|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

The Larry RSF/Alan G baker paradigm

Of all discussion boards on all topics I've ever come across, the relationship which exists between these two is unique. As has been discussed, it's almost a symbiotic relationship, except that neither benefits from the other. The mutual animosity has transcended many boards and multipe topics, and shows no sign of abating any time soon.

Some interesting things I've noticed about these two.

Although Alan appears to be a top shelf internet heavy, he seems to be exclusively out to nail Larry, and has gone to great lengths like emailing publishers to alert them to palgiarism, but the rest of the board seems to be immune no matter how badly we try to flame him. It's almost like he's some kind of cyber terminator who will ignore everyone but his target. The rest of us can say whatever we want to Alan and get a good humoured response, but if Larry even so much as posts about any topic, within minutes Alan is online to ask him if he's 'feeling froggy'.

As has been discussed earlier, Alan has gone ot the trouble of placing a Larry alert on his computer to let him know every time Larry posts so he can shoot a line by line retort straight back. This is an extraordinary length to go to antagonise someone.

There are lot's of other things which I can't recall right now, but my point is that this is a very strange realtionship, one which I think we haven't completely got to the bottom of yet.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Of all discussion boards on all topics I've ever come across, the relationship which exists between these two is unique. As has been discussed, it's almost a symbiotic relationship, except that neither benefits from the other. The mutual animosity has transcended many boards and multipe topics, and shows no sign of abating any time soon.

Some interesting things I've noticed about these two.

Although Alan appears to be a top shelf internet heavy, he seems to be exclusively out to nail Larry, and has gone to great lengths like emailing publishers to alert them to palgiarism, but the rest of the board seems to be immune no matter how badly we try to flame him. It's almost like he's some kind of cyber terminator who will ignore everyone but his target. The rest of us can say whatever we want to Alan and get a good humoured response, but if Larry even so much as posts about any topic, within minutes Alan is online to ask him if he's 'feeling froggy'.

As has been discussed earlier, Alan has gone ot the trouble of placing a Larry alert on his computer to let him know every time Larry posts so he can shoot a line by line retort straight back. This is an extraordinary length to go to antagonise someone.

There are lot's of other things which I can't recall right now, but my point is that this is a very strange realtionship, one which I think we haven't completely got to the bottom of yet.
    Nothing very difficult to fathom, NaH

I like arguing. I'd rather argue with jerks who deserve it than friends and family.

Combine that with a job that leaves me lots of free moments (with very fast reading and typing) and I can pretty much reply at any time of the day.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP2 w/Project X shafts 3-PW
    Cleveland 52°, Titleist Vokey 56° & 60°
    Tommy Armour Model 6 putter.

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker
    Nothing very difficult to fathom, NaH

I like arguing. I'd rather argue with jerks who deserve it than friends and family.

Combine that with a job that leaves me lots of free moments (with very fast reading and typing) and I can pretty much reply at any time of the day.
    Shitt, that was quick Alan. Does your Larry alert include a word search for Larry in other people's posts as well as letting you know whe he posts or something?
    Last edited by Not a hacker; 01-28-2011 at 08:06 PM.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Shitt, that was quick Alan. Does your Larry alert include a word search for Larry in other people's posts as well as letting you know whe he posts or something?
    LOL

Nope. Nothing so hi-tech. Just happenstance.

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

The back and forth banters remind me of a loving father and his prodigal son. The father is highly disappointed at the life path his son has chosen but continues to send him the monthly stipend anyhow. And the point where the son can beat the father regularly in medal or match is always a traumatic event for the father.

The thing I find funny of late is whenever Larry posts anything, Alan goes to great lengths to explain and back up why what Larry said is wrong. Not terribly challenging granted, but Alan's posts are always courteous and without vitriol. Then Larry's response always references Larry as being a workshy homeless layabout who (and this bit's classic - it would be laughably ironic if it weren't deliberate) always resorts to ad hominem attacks.

And NaH - I think they do both benefit from each other. Alan gets an avenue for his venting as he described and Larry gets the life blood of any troll. Namely replies. Replies aplenty. What's sad is that at 70-odd, Larry has nothing better to do with his time.

"God needs the devil. The Beatles needed the Rolling Stones. Even Diane Sawyer needed Katie Couric." - Talladega Nights

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel
    The back and forth banters remind me of a loving father and his prodigal son. The father is highly disappointed at the life path his son has chosen but continues to send him the monthly stipend anyhow. And the point where the son can beat the father regularly in medal or match is always a traumatic event for the father.
    But which is which in this scenario? I'm assuming from the tone of the posts you are casting Alan as the father and Larry as the petulant brat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Webb
    The thing I find funny of late is whenever Larry posts anything, Alan goes to great lengths to explain and back up why what Larry said is wrong. Not terribly challenging granted, but Alan's posts are always courteous and without vitriol. Then Larry's response always references Larry as being a workshy homeless layabout who (and this bit's classic - it would be laughably ironic if it weren't deliberate) always resorts to ad hominem attacks.

And NaH - I think they do both benefit from each other. Alan gets an avenue for his venting as he described and Larry gets the life blood of any troll. Namely replies. Replies aplenty. What's sad is that at 70-odd, Larry has nothing better to do with his time.
    I didn't think of that, you may have a good point. Although I don't think Larry could be considered a troll, his posts come straight from the hip and are not deliberately designed to incite. Unless I underestimate him and he is a genius. My personal thoughts on Larry is that he is one of those cliched thick skinned salesman, who is happy to take a hundred "fukk off"s to get one pigeon signed up. He is an internet spammer extraordinaire who glady flushes his reputation down the shitter over and over if it means the occassional sale. Probably adheres to the theory of any publicity is good publicity.

I didn't think of that, you may have a good point. Although I don't think Larry could be considered a troll, his posts come straight from the hip and are not deliberately designed to incite. Unless I underestimate him and he is a genius. My personal thoughts on Larry is that he is one of those cliched thick skinned salesman, who is happy to take a hundred "fukk off"s to get one pigeon signed up. He is an internet spammer extraordinaire who glady flushes his reputation down the shitter over and over if it means the occassional sale. Probably adheres to the theory of any publicity is good publicity.
    I am, I must confess, embarrassed that I know this, but if you dig around, Larry has been posting the same posts for a good few years now at various different sites. Alan will know for sure how long it's been going on. Their little battle is hardly new here. The difference is they don't get banned here. Larry gets banned at most golf forums because people leave when he's around. Personally I'm getting to see the appeal, but a lot of people don't. There was one site where they had a few PGA pros who posted quite a bit and would offer help and advice to the other posters. Larry got them all to leave with his BS posts. He's like a cancer to a forum. Here though, he's like a pinata. Great fun.

Like fungus and rotting wood.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Like fungus and rotting wood.
    Beautiful. The perfect Larry/Alan analogy. Thread closed.

Larry behaves as he does for one very simple reason: to stroke his own ego.

He can no longer say that he can actually play golf well without everyone laughing him off the property, so now he insists he is more dedicated to improving and that only he knows that parts of the game really matter.

Look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narciss...ality_disorder

And see if it doesn't remind you of anyone.

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

This is what i have never understood

When i insulted Liarry he has never responded to a post by me again, which is good.

If Alan is such a Canadian loser why does he bother responding. Why not do to Alan that which he does to me, Loz, NAH etc and ignore him.

Their is more to this than meets the eye

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

He can no longer say that he can actually play golf well without everyone laughing him off the property, so now he insists he is more dedicated to improving and that only he knows that parts of the game really matter.

Look at this:

Larry is fortunate to have his own wikipedia page.

Out of curiosity, when did this first start? When did you first come across Larry?

Look at this:

Half of my siblings, my ex-wife, my mother, two-thirds of pro-athletes, a third of my golf buddies, an ex-business partner, all of my bosses when I had them and our President.

That's about it.
    GR lives...

But which is which in this scenario? I'm assuming from the tone of the posts you are casting Alan as the father and Larry as the petulant brat.
    It may be similar to alternating current wherein the poles shift back and forth but not in balance since the Alan response is almost always instantaneous and the Larry response takes a lot longer. Impetuouos youth vs. experienced patience.

Larry is fortunate to have his own wikipedia page.

Out of curiosity, when did this first start? When did you first come across Larry?
    Posting in RSG (rec.sport.golf; a Usenet group) about 6/7 years ago. He was as charming then as he is today..

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    "God needs the devil. The Beatles needed the Rolling Stones. Even Diane Sawyer needed Katie Couric." - Talladega Nights
    The Beatles did not need the Stones and vice versa. Oil and water. Yin and Yang. The Beatles pushed all the girl buttons and the Stones appealed to the males. I was there and saw them both live in '64.

The Beatles did not need the Stones and vice versa. Oil and water. Yin and Yang. The Beatles pushed all the girl buttons and the Stones appealed to the males. I was there and saw them both live in '64.
    True, but apparently the Beatles and Stones made agreements with each other not to bring albums out at the same time so they would both sell more albums by not competing with each other.

I was more quoting a movie. Both were waaay before my time. Since Justin Bieber has got the same haircut as the Beatles did, I would call the Beatles s.hit and go with the Stones if I were alive then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    I was more quoting a movie. Both were waaay before my time. Since Justin Bieber has got the same haircut as the Beatles did, I would call the Beatles s.hit and go with the Stones if I were alive then.
    The Beatles are the greatest band ever by far. No other band has ever come close. The Stones are a little speck on the wall compared to the Beatles.

Each to his own. Myself, the Stones are much more listenable than the flash in the pan Beatles. How long did they last?
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

I am, I must confess, embarrassed that I know this, but if you dig around, Larry has been posting the same posts for a good few years now at various different sites. Alan will know for sure how long it's been going on. Their little battle is hardly new here. The difference is they don't get banned here. Larry gets banned at most golf forums because people leave when he's around. Personally I'm getting to see the appeal, but a lot of people don't. There was one site where they had a few PGA pros who posted quite a bit and would offer help and advice to the other posters. Larry got them all to leave with his BS posts. He's like a cancer to a forum. Here though, he's like a pinata. Great fun.
    Several *teachers* had gathered at TGC DB and were selling their swing training CDs--and every day more of their competitors were showing up. They saw a "free" marketing outlet! I simply asked the moderators why selling CDs was allowed since it is clearly against the posting rules there. They quit. But some, (me included) enjoyed their swing instruction--and made me a villain for blowing the whistle.

FYI, AB focused on me years ago when I wrote that he reminded me of a drunken wino laying in a doorway and begging for money. When I pass with my wife on the way to dinner, instead of giving him money, I told him to get a job!-- and to my horror he stumbled to his feet and followed us to the restaurant, screaming profanity and throwing his own feces-- I had to call a cop because he was waiting outside. And he has been stalking me ever since. Sadly, events have proven that I wasn't far off. Everyone remembers accidently pizzing off a retard--who like a chimpanzee will try to kill you for a minor insult.

And like an enraged animal, AB was no longer funny. He wanted to do me harm. He called Manuel De La Torre's book publisher, wanting to dispute what I said about "Swing the Clubhead." Another time he called Golf Laboratories to attempt to stop them from endorsing my new golf swing training device. THAT is tortuous business interference and our lawyers here know. Another time he called my office over and over again, hanging up each time someone answered. I found his Internet and telephone service provider in Canada and filed a formal complaint-- Apparently they warned him that he would have no Internet and no telephone if he continued to use it for illegal harassment. So he stopped.

So you tell me what to do about this problem... Can anyone effectively apologize to an enraged Chimp? One recently chewed the nose off his master over some tiny transgression. So this isn't funny anymore. Please don't encourage him.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by jt1135
    Each to his own. Myself, the Stones are much more listenable than the flash in the pan Beatles. How long did they last?
    They decided to split up at the height of their popularity. Unlike the Stones who were way past their prime back in 1985 and who have lingered around like an unwanted guest for three decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf
    Several *teachers* had gathered at TGC DB and were selling their swing training CDs--and every day more of their competitors were showing up. They saw a "free" marketing outlet! I simply asked the moderators why selling CDs was allowed since it is clearly against the posting rules there. They quit. But some, (me included) enjoyed their swing instruction--and made me a villain for blowing the whistle.

FYI, AB focused on me years ago when I wrote that he reminded me of a drunken wino laying in a doorway and begging for money. When I pass with my wife on the way to dinner, instead of giving him money, I told him to get a job!-- and to my horror he stumbled to his feet and followed us to the restaurant, screaming profanity and throwing his own feces-- I had to call a cop because he was waiting outside. And he has been stalking me ever since. Sadly, events have proven that I wasn't far off. Everyone remembers accidently pizzing off a retard--who like a chimpanzee will try to kill you for a minor insult.

And like an enraged animal, AB was no longer funny. He wanted to do me harm. He called Manuel De La Torre's book publisher, wanting to dispute what I said about "Swing the Clubhead." Another time he called Golf Laboratories to attempt to stop them from endorsing my new golf swing training device. THAT is tortuous business interference and our lawyers here know. Another time he called my office over and over again, hanging up each time someone answered. I found his Internet and telephone service provider in Canada and filed a formal complaint-- Apparently they warned him that he would have no Internet and no telephone if he continued to use it for illegal harassment. So he stopped.

So you tell me what to do about this problem... Can anyone effectively apologize to an enraged Chimp? One recently chewed the nose off his master over some tiny transgression. So this isn't funny anymore. Please don't encourage him.

Larry
    What he appears to be doing now is simply responding to your posts and challenging what you've written. I hardly see that as threatening or dangerous. If what you're saying above is true then indeed that is scary. However, if that's not happening now then what's the big deal? Finally, what kind of reaction did you expect to get from the bum. You told him to get a job. That's probably the worst insult you could give to someone who is homeless. You said it to cut him down. He got cut and then responded by harrassing you. What a surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by jt1135
    The Stones and the Beatles had different audiences, but they also shared one. You have to put yourself back into the 60's and early 70's. The youth of the day were finding a voice and breaking away from the conservitism of their parents and the previous decades. The whole tone of the Stones was one of rebellion, and that's where their position in the contempory culture was assured. Right place right time sort of thing.
    Their music, although great, came in a direct line from blues singer roots which essentially they copied, and interpreted into the new electric guitar format. Even their name came directly from a Muddy Waters song.
    The Beatles however changed music history by coming up with a completely new style and sound. Sgt. Peppers was the first theme ablum every done, a watershed moment. Their manager Brian Epstein got them to use orchestral instrments and arrangements in their recordings; another landmark sound that was completely new.
    "Abbey Road" was when they really made an impact worldwide. The White Album with it's drug induced and wildly imaginative approach was years ahead of it's time.

Yeah the Stones were good, I saw them live in their heyday. Jagger was the archetypal front man, with him and Richards playing the cool bad boys. All very attractive stuff.
    However the Beatles in their creativity and the consistent quality of their work were light years ahead.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Why did you ask the moderators about it, Larry? It wouldn't have been because your ideas about the swing were being ridiculed, would it?

LOL

And like an enraged animal, AB was no longer funny. He wanted to do me harm. He called Manuel De La Torre's book publisher, wanting to dispute what I said about "Swing the Clubhead."
    I've never communicated with the publisher of "Swing the Clubhead", Larry.

Another time he called Golf Laboratories to attempt to stop them from endorsing my new golf swing training device. THAT is tortuous business interference and our lawyers here know.
    I emailed Golf Labs, asking whether they were endorsing your swing gimmick because your website was giving that impression. Gene Parente replied very politely to tell me that they do not endorse products and your website was changed shortly thereafter.

So it's interesting that you claim they were endorsing it, isn't it?

Another time he called my office over and over again, hanging up each time someone answered. I found his Internet and telephone service provider in Canada and filed a formal complaint-- Apparently they warned him that he would have no Internet and no telephone if he continued to use it for illegal harassment. So he stopped.
    Sorry. Never happened.

Surely you could beat a "chimp" at golf, Larry. Are you feeling "froggy" yet?

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    What he appears to be doing now is simply responding to your posts and challenging what you've written. I hardly see that as threatening or dangerous. If what you're saying above is true then indeed that is scary. However, if that's not happening now then what's the big deal? Finally, what kind of reaction did you expect to get from the bum. You told him to get a job. That's probably the worst insult you could give to someone who is homeless. You said it to cut him down. He got cut and then responded by harrassing you. What a surprise!
    And none of what Larry claimed with the exception of me emailing Golf Labs once to ask if they were endorsing the RULate is even remotely the truth.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Most men Alan's age are working, trying to make something of their life during their prime years. Alan is sitting on his can typing mindless nonsense to a golf discussion board. So someone is paying his rent and buying his groceries. Who? His mother? Poor lady must be pretty discouraged. Alan dropped out of school, couldn't even finish ONE college class, has failed to get and hold even an entry-level job in a Canadian company. Who is enabling him to avoid doing the hard work that illegals do?

A sad case. We are seeing a disaster unfolding in slow motion. When his mother stops supporting him he'll lose his apartment and then be downtown sitting with a bottle of cheap wine in that doorway... Will he politely ask for money as educated and successful people pass by on their way to nice restaurants? Or will he go wild when we refuse and tell him: "get a job!"

I think we've seen enough of his stalking behavior to know what he'll do.

Larry

Most men Alan's age are working, trying to make something of their life during their prime years. Alan is sitting on his can typing mindless nonsense to a golf discussion board. So someone is paying his rent and buying his groceries. Who? His mother? Poor lady must be pretty discouraged. Alan dropped out of school, couldn't even finish ONE college class, has failed to get and hold even an entry-level job in a Canadian company. Who is enabling him to avoid doing the hard work that illegals do?

A sad case. We are seeing a disaster unfolding in slow motion.

Larry
    This is total ownage. How can alan even show his face after an epic beatdown like this?
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    This is total ownage. How can alan even show his face after an epic beatdown like this?
    Agreed. Larry has been posting some great material for the past couple of weeks and Alan has definitely been lagging behind.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    They decided to split up at the height of their popularity. Unlike the Stones who were way past their prime back in 1985 and who have lingered around like an unwanted guest for three decades.
    The Beatles were undoubtedly a good band, and ok if you like lightweight commercial pop. But if you like your rock and roll to have some guts the stones are the band.

And none of what Larry claimed with the exception of me emailing Golf Labs once to ask if they were endorsing the RULate is even remotely the truth.
    Let's get back t the important part of Larry's post. Were you the wino who chased Larry down the street, throwing feces like an enraged chimpanzee?

A sad case. We are seeing a disaster unfolding in slow motion. When his mother stops supporting him he'll lose his apartment and then be downtown sitting with a bottle of cheap wine in that doorway... Will he politely ask for money as educated and successful people pass by on their way to nice restaurants? Or will he go wild when we refuse and tell him: "get a job!"

Larry
    Larry, maybe I'm missing something, after all I don't read your posts very closely, but can't he do both? Can't he ask for money politely and then go wild if they refuse and tell him to get a job?
    GR lives...

When you do computer technical support for a living, much of the time you do it after normal business hours, Larry.

How's that one-man document scanning business of yours going? Do you still need to sell plated paperclips as "money clips" to make ends meet?

I'll be sure to come down to San Diego the next time my LA client flies me down to work on his systems. Then you can say these things to my face...

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

When you do computer technical support for a living, much of the time you do it after normal business hours, Larry.

How's that one-man document scanning business of yours going? Do you still need to sell plated paperclips as "money clips" to make ends meet?

I'll be sure to come down to San Diego the next time my LA client flies me down to work on his systems. Then you can say these things to my face...

Video please.

Video please.
    It would be my pleasure.

Please let me apologize in advance for the amount of camera shake that my laughter is sure to induce after every swing Larry takes.

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

It would be my pleasure.

Please let me apologize in advance for the amount of camera shake that my laughter is sure to induce after every swing Larry takes.

I was talking more about a video of the enraged, feces throwing chimp display after Larry tells you to get a job.

I was talking more about a video of the enraged, feces throwing chimp display after Larry tells you to get a job.
    Oh... ...well if it happens, I'll be sure to try to get you some video of it...

...but Larry's going to have to provide his own feces for him to throw.

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

my LA client
    Wow! Like a company that hires a man to empty its trash is a dropout's "client!" ha.

Well, I guess so. Maybe the guys who pick up the trash here consider me their "client," ha.

But maybe I am wrong calling him a dropout. Maybe Alan is really a retired professional in his mid 40s. Maybe Alan will prove me wrong by listing his academic credentials. Maybe he will tell us how he is qualified to have "clients" in any endeavor. C'mon Alan, tell us where you graduated. Tell us what professional employment experience you have.

Fellas, don't hold your breath. Something tells me Alan's resume is thinner than Obama's. NO transcripts, just his "word" that he attended and graduated.

Larry

Wow! Like a company that hires a man to empty its trash is a dropout's "client!" ha.
    Actually, he hired me to do tech support on his Macs... ...on which he does visual effects.

Flew me down and housed me at his expense and then paid me $600 a day to do it.

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Actually, he hired me to do tech support on his Macs... ...on which he does visual effects.

Flew me down and housed me at his expense and then paid me $600 a day to do it.

Alan, the going rate here is around $1,200.
    GR lives...

What is the going rate for being caged in a glory hole? Not counting dental expenses.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Hey: he did pay for the flights and the accommodations.

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    What is the going rate for being caged in a glory hole? Not counting dental expenses.
    Not sure, but I know the toll road glory holes get a premium over those on a free access highway.
    GR lives...

Not sure, but I know the toll road glory holes get a premium over those on a free access highway.
    Hard to say based on his description.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Thread Information