|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

iPhone Golf GPS Application

Anybody used one that can give some feedback about how good they are?

I'm thinking of getting one but one problem I have heard with other phone applications is that the GPS sucks the battery dry very quickly. It would be pointless having it if the iPhone battery can't last a standard 4 hour round.

Anybody know?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player

I'm thinking of getting one but one problem I have heard with other phone applications is that the GPS sucks the battery dry very quickly. It would be pointless having it if the iPhone battery can't last a standard 4 hour round.

Anybody know?
    Yes, I have. It detects when you hit a shot and then says thing like: "WOW!!! What an amazing shot!!! I think I'm getting wet!!! You're so awesome!!! And LONG!!!! In a female voice of course.

You can find it with the other golf apps in the App Store. It's called SkyLorenzo. Based on demand there'll be a male voice option for those who prefer that kind of thing. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    GR lives...

Anybody know?
    I have golfshot and it works great. My friend has a range finder and we have compared on many occasions and golfshot was never more than 5 yards off from his rangefinder. I have an android smartphone, but they make an app for the iPhone, too. My battery lasts an entire round easily and then some.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Yes, I have. It detects when you hit a shot and then says thing like: "WOW!!! What an amazing shot!!! I think I'm getting wet!!! You're so awesome!!! And LONG!!!! In a female voice of course.

You can find it with the other golf apps in the App Store. It's called SkyLorenzo. Based on demand there'll be a male voice option for those who prefer that kind of thing. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    OK, I'm refunding my Golfshot app immediately and buying this one.

I DLed the golf gps app for the Ipad but itsbbeen frickin freezing, havent tested it....
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

That sounds great and all but it sounds a little too Gen Y for my liking. I find I respond better to negative reinforcement. Can you change the setting so that when you hit a crap shot it responds with something like:

"Fu*k you're useless Kiwi, a POS like you doesn't even deserve to be bagging those Tourstage X-100's!"

When you hit a good shot it keeps it real with something minimalist like "About time!" or "Finally, a decent shot!"

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    I have golfshot and it works great. My friend has a range finder and we have compared on many occasions and golfshot was never more than 5 yards off from his rangefinder. I have an android smartphone, but they make an app for the iPhone, too. My battery lasts an entire round easily and then some.

5 yards off can be the difference between being in a hazard or on the green.

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    5 yards off can be the difference between being in a hazard or on the green.
    If the hazard is on the right of the green, aim for the left. Also, notice I said 5 yards at the MOST. There is nothing out there that is completely accurate, but these will give you a better chance at hitting the distance than a guess would.

That sounds great and all but it sounds a little too Gen Y for my liking. I find I respond better to negative reinforcement. Can you change the setting so that when you hit a crap shot it responds with something like:

"Fu*k you're useless Kiwi, a POS like you doesn't even deserve to be bagging those Tourstage X-100's!"

When you hit a good shot it keeps it real with something minimalist like "About time!" or "Finally, a decent shot!"
    Hmm...I don't know. Wouldn't that be like bringing your wife with you onto the golf course? Probably a very small market for that.
    GR lives...

If the hazard is on the right of the green, aim for the left. Also, notice I said 5 yards at the MOST. There is nothing out there that is completely accurate, but these will give you a better chance at hitting the distance than a guess would.
    It's pretty funny when you meet a hacker on the course with a range finder. They spend five minutes processing all the information, depsite the fact they have zero distance control and rarely hit the ball anywhere near their 'average'. I'm usually standing around waiting for them to process the information thinking ot myself "I bet you slice it into the woods, a hundred bucks".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHJ5nA4rFDA
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I was thinking of getting an app like you describe, I already have a sureshot but the app comes with thousands of courses i believe. A mate of mine was using one the other day, he says it is very good but the day i played with him it went haywire about the 14th hole. He said next time I saw him it was because the battery got low. He said it does suck the battery. I think he said he was getting a backup external power source to make sure it didn't happen again.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Kiwi

I have an i phone 4 and i have Golfshot on it.

I think its better than Skycaddie and as good as UPro. I have a laser too and its always within a couple of yards. The satelite image is great if you are on a course that you dont know. The scoring system and stats are better than any other system i have used. Only cost £17 which is incredible really

Battery is no prob at all. I would say it uses about 20-25% over an average 4 hour round.

I have found that Loz's app isnt really necessary as my mates are more than up for slagging me off when i play :-0

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    I was thinking of getting an app like you describe, I already have a sureshot but the app comes with thousands of courses i believe. A mate of mine was using one the other day, he says it is very good but the day i played with him it went haywire about the 14th hole. He said next time I saw him it was because the battery got low. He said it does suck the battery. I think he said he was getting a backup external power source to make sure it didn't happen again.
    I too have a sureshot but I also have golfshot. It isn't bad though I never use it anymore. The thing with the battery is quite simple. It all comes down to if you are a mook or not. If you are a mook then you will leave the app turned on the whole round and will be lucky to have ANY battery left at 18. If you are not a mook you will hit the button at the top of the iphone and power down inbetween shots and have 80% battery still at 18. Easy!

Quote Originally Posted by Pottsy
    I too have a sureshot but I also have golfshot. It isn't bad though I never use it anymore. The thing with the battery is quite simple. It all comes down to if you are a mook or not. If you are a mook then you will leave the app turned on the whole round and will be lucky to have ANY battery left at 18. If you are not a mook you will hit the button at the top of the iphone and power down inbetween shots and have 80% battery still at 18. Easy!
    Thanks for the tip. I'll tell my mook mate next time I see him.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    Kiwi

I have an i phone 4 and i have Golfshot on it.

I think its better than Skycaddie and as good as UPro. I have a laser too and its always within a couple of yards. The satelite image is great if you are on a course that you dont know. The scoring system and stats are better than any other system i have used. Only cost £17 which is incredible really

Battery is no prob at all. I would say it uses about 20-25% over an average 4 hour round.

I have found that Loz's app isnt really necessary as my mates are more than up for slagging me off when i play :-0

Edgey
    LOL - me too!

So no probs with the battery? Do you power down between shots as Pottsy suggested?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn

Then theres the Fred 3 version. In a male voice, maybe an english accent
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

LOL - me too!

So no probs with the battery? Do you power down between shots as Pottsy suggested?
    I think it is more like putting your phone on standby than powering down.

LOL - me too!

As Pottsy says i put it on standby and look at when i need it.

Agree with Pottsy about 80% left at the end of 18

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

As Pottsy says i put it on standby and look at when i need it.

Agree with Pottsy about 80% left at the end of 18

Edgey
    Yes, the same with the app I referred to. In fact, with the female version, the more you hit that little button on the top, the better they perform.
    GR lives...

Anybody know?
    Considering how you guys frown upon belly putters, long putters, chippers, saddle shoes, jeans and cast clubs, doesn't it seem kind of ridiculous that you think it's OK to walk around the course with your iPhone to check for yardage? Man up and get a GPS or range finder.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    Considering how you guys frown upon belly putters, long putters, chippers, saddle shoes, jeans and cast clubs, doesn't it seem kind of ridiculous that you think it's OK to walk around the course with your iPhone to check for yardage? Man up and get a GPS or range finder.
    I agree, hence why i have a Bushnell 1600 Pro.

I only use my iPhone 4 as i think it increases my chance of pulling. Everyone knows that the iPhone 4 is a fanny magnet (Yanks may need a translation for that one lol)

Edgey

PS I dont frown on any of the mentioned stuff, except Niblicks and only then if owned by right wing, bible thumping. zealots who misrepresent history for personal advantage.

I agree, hence why i have a Bushnell 1600 Pro.

I only use my iPhone 4 as i think it increases my chance of pulling. Everyone knows that the iPhone 4 is a fanny magnet (Yanks may need a translation for that one lol)

Edgey

PS I dont frown on any of the mentioned stuff, except Niblicks and only then if owned by right wing, bible thumping. zealots who misrepresent history for personal advantage.
    Good day to you, too, across the pond, queave breath.

Anybody know?
    Golf Buddy is the best. Just walk onto any course anywhere and it knows where you are and on which hole. No membership, no updates, etc. I think you can find them used on eBay or Craigslist, pawnshops, unlocked lockers, etc.

Downside: anyone can steal yours and use it on any course, etc. etc..

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    You forgot visors, cargo shorts, ball marker hat clips, graphite shafts in irons and drivers with more than 10.5* loft.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf
    Golf Buddy is the best. Just walk onto any course anywhere and it knows where you are and on which hole. No membership, no updates, etc. I think you can find them used on eBay or Craigslist, pawnshops, unlocked lockers, etc.

Downside: anyone can steal yours and use it on any course, etc. etc..

Larry
    Can you program the Golf Buddy to automatically post padded scores for you?
    GR lives...

Can you program the Golf Buddy to automatically post padded scores for you?
    Nope. It just figures that anyone who doesn't take a LOT of lessons and do a LOT of golf swing drills is a total loser. No matter what score you enter it just laughs. That is fun to listen to, however. BWAHHHH, ha, ha, ha!!

Larry

One of your best posts ever.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf
    Nope. It just figures that anyone who doesn't take a LOT of lessons and do a LOT of golf swing drills is a total loser. No matter what score you enter it just laughs. That is fun to listen to, however. BWAHHHH, ha, ha, ha!!

Larry
    Your best ever post Larry

Edgey

Good day to you, too, across the pond, queave breath.
    Greetings from the sunny UK Sooner. Always a pleasure to get a snidey dig in

Edgey

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn

Anybody know?
    The golfshot app works quite nicely. As long as the round is around 4 hours its works with battery life to spare, just make sure its fully charged, when you start your round. Also it gives your driver yardages, yardages to hazards, if you want to lay up a certain yardage, it helps you with club selection. Among many other neat features, fairways hit, greens hit, number of putts, alot of things you may not want to no. They seem a little slower then a dedicated gps.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Thread Information