|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Mt' Kidd, Kananaskis - Can't beat the mountain setting.

North American GR Sanctioned Event - Las Vegas May 2011 (25/26th?)

If anyone is interested, FD and myself were thinking of playing while we are both in Las Vegas in May. Looking at May 25/26 to fit into FD's schedule....however, I'm there from 20th-26th and can play whenever.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverologist
    If anyone is interested, FD and myself were thinking of playing while we are both in Las Vegas in May. Looking at May 25/26 to fit into FD's schedule....however, I'm there from 19th-26th and can play whenever.
    I'm in.

From this day forward, until further notice, I am again bagging the FG17s. The paddles have disappointed of late. The Staffs are heavier, making me swing smoother, and also are FAR better feeling when hit well. I hit them VERY well at SoonerBS's expense :-) and it's time for a change.

FG17s headin' for Vegas. This is a video that NAH, OP, KP, Rooboy et al will want to see.. especially if I include a bit of the Strip at night. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    I'm in.

From this day forward, until further notice, I am again bagging the FG17s. The paddles have disappointed of late. The Staffs are heavier, making me swing smoother, and also are FAR better feeling when hit well. I hit them VERY well at SoonerBS's expense :-) and it's time for a change.

FG17s headin' for Vegas. This is a video that NAH, OP, KP, Rooboy et al will want to see.. especially if I include a bit of the Strip at night. :-)
    I'm not expecting great results from myself as it is the very beginning of the season for me. I might be able to get a few rounds in that week before hand after not have swung a club since Oct 15th. Unless we have a very early spring here....which is doubtful We had snow until late May last year.

Here's my bag: LEFT HANDED

Mizuno MP-60's - 4 to PW
    Taylormade Supertri TP - 9.5 Degree
    Taylormade Burner 3 wood - 15 Degree
    Tayormade Rescue #4 - 22 Degree
    Nike Victory Red Tour Wedges - 52/56/60
    Ping Redwood Anser 303ss

I'm in.

The production of which will take longer than Water World.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    The production of which will take longer than Water World.
    Would that I could make as much money on my dog-a$$ productions as he does on his. Worst English accent by a movie star EVER, in Robin Hood.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

While in Vegas you guys remember not to show up where the white airplanes with red stripes are and ask to see the condition of the greens at the groom lake course.
    ... a tree branch, or my foot.

Quote Originally Posted by jetdriver
    While in Vegas you guys remember not to show up where the white airplanes with red stripes are and ask to see the condition of the greens at the groom lake course.
    GPS doesn't work there anyways, can't get the yardage. And on the satellite map it's just a big white spot. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Would that I could make as much money on my dog-a$$ productions as he does on his. Worst English accent by a movie star EVER, in Robin Hood.
    His best role was that western where he played a dimwit. No acting required.
    GR lives...

I'm in.

As we get closer to the event we can firm up the dates and golf course. I do think it would be best for each person to have an individual match against each other person. However, if you guys want to play stroke play that's fine as well.

You guys need to be careful in your rating of Costner. Tincup was one of the best golf movies ever. It is a highly praised concept on GR to "go for it" on Par 5s like Costner repeatedly did in the movie.

Now, I understand that Cheech might have actually been the element that made the movie rank in the top 5 of all time golf movies. I still think one of the best lines in golf movies is:

Costner: "This makes me look ridiculous."

Cheech: "How do you think it makes you look to be shooting those chili peppers up Lee Janzen's ass?!"

The movie also made me want to fire a chili pepper up Rene Russo, so that was a definite plus for the movie as well.

You also can't fault Costner's acting in Bull Durham and Field of Dreams. I think where Costner likely went wrong was trying to do any kind of movies other than sports related movies.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    You guys need to be careful in your rating of Costner. Tincup was one of the best golf movies ever. It is a highly praised concept on GR to "go for it" on Par 5s like Costner repeatedly did in the movie.

Now, I understand that Cheech might have actually been the element that made the movie rank in the top 5 of all time golf movies. I still think one of the best lines in golf movies is:

Cheech: "How do you think it makes you look to be shooting those chili peppers up Lee Janzen's ass?!"

The movie also made me want to fire a chili pepper up Rene Russo, so that was a definite plus for the movie as well.

You also can't fault Costner's acting in Bull Durham and Field of Dreams. I think where Costner likely went wrong was trying to do any kind of movies other than sports related movies.

It would have involved a lot less typing just to say he gives you a woody.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS

Tin Cup was a horrible movie. There are only two golf movies that are worth watching...Caddyshack and Happy Gilmore. If you like any other golf movies then you must be a high shooting hacker that plays GFF blades. Bagger Vance was beyond horrible and Tin Cup made me feel like I needed a cup to barf in. Let's face the facts, it is impossible to make a movie about golf that is realistic. It cannot be done.

His best role was that western where he played a dimwit. No acting required.
    Silverado.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    Tin Cup was a horrible movie. There are only two golf movies that are worth watching...Caddyshack and Happy Gilmore. If you like any other golf movies then you must be a high shooting hacker that plays GFF blades. Bagger Vance was beyond horrible and Tin Cup made me feel like I needed a cup to barf in. Let's face the facts, it is impossible to make a movie about golf that is realistic. It cannot be done.
    I guess golf just doesn't raise blood pressure enough. There have been umpteenth movies made about boxing, football baseball etc. All formulaic BS of course but I can't think of a real golf movie other than Bagger Vance which was terrible. You never see a movie about a golf college team that is down and out and then a new coach turns it all around and they win it all in the end. That's what usually happens in baseball/football/basketball movies isn't it?

There will have to be a movie about Tigers life at some time in the future though don't you think?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    I guess golf just doesn't raise blood pressure enough. There have been umpteenth movies made about boxing, football baseball etc. All formulaic BS of course but I can't think of a real golf movie other than Bagger Vance which was terrible. You never see a movie about a golf college team that is down and out and then a new coach turns it all around and they win it all in the end. That's what usually happens in baseball/football/basketball movies isn't it?

There will have to be a movie about Tigers life at some time in the future though don't you think?
    Maybe we could make a GR movie along these lines? It would be produced by Daveperk productions. Ok it won't be in cinemas until 2020 but it will be worth the wait. Here's a few suggestions for the characters:

Fred3 could be the gnarly old coach who gets the sack and Pingman could be the Stack N Tilt wonder coach who turns it all around?

Famousdavis could be the superstar of the team that we all depend on who is getting offers from other colleges but stays loyal to the team.

qtong could be the d'bag who considers himself superior to the rest of us and defects to another college whom we eventually defeat in the final.

Lorenzo is the talented but enigmatic star who doesn't perform to his potential because he is too busy womanizing. He says he can't make the final due to a hot date but turns up 5 minutes before the tee time and makes good!

Dave is the team big guy who is great as a drinking buddy and pseudo team body guard in bar altercations with other college teams.

NAH is the guy who just can't settle on a set of clubs and is struggling with Rams, Ping knock offs, Tommy Armours and Powerbilts until the day of the final when Soonerbs lends him a spare set of GFF blades and he shoots light out.

There must be other characters I've missed. Name a few?
    Last edited by Kiwi Player; 02-28-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Not bad. Jetdriver is the Rudy type character with no talent but tireless ethic who leaves almost every practice bleeding through the ears and nose.

Prostatus is the team equipment guy with a fro matted here and there, until he's replaced by OP due to incompetence. OP gives out free irons to the team.

Larry is the spectator guy behind the ropes always yelling out inappropriate swing tips mid-swing that have nothing to do with the situation at hand. When his disruption causes the shot to go awry, he tosses a training aid out onto the fairway. Alan is on the other side of the fairway, yelling obscenities at Larry.

HB is the stable force of the team, except that relatives in Kentucky seem to die frequently forcing him to leave for weeks on end.

Spank is the guy at parties that starts the slow, deliberate clap designed to get others to join in and taunt some particular nerd.

Dave will need a bunch of assitants to keep things moving ahead with this project.
    GR lives...

Not bad. Jetdriver is the Rudy type character with no talent but tireless ethic who leaves almost every practice bleeding through the ears and nose.

Prostatus is the team equipment guy with a fro matted here and there, until he's replaced by OP due to incompetence. OP gives out free irons to the team.

Larry is the spectator guy behind the ropes always yelling out inappropriate swing tips mid-swing that have nothing to do with the situation at hand. When his disruption causes the shot to go awry, he tosses a training aid out onto the fairway. Alan is on the other side of the fairway, yelling obscenities at Larry.

HB is the stable force of the team, except that relatives in Kentucky seem to die frequently forcing him to leave for weeks on end.

Spank is the guy at parties that starts the slow, deliberate clap designed to get others to join in and taunt some particular nerd.

Dave will need a bunch of assitants to keep things moving ahead with this project.
    We'll need at least one parade scene with Kiwi in the shadows with his pockets full of poo waiting for Larry to show.

I thought Costners best movie was "Mr Brooks".
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    We'll need at least one parade scene with Kiwi in the shadows with his pockets full of poo waiting for Larry to show.
    Kiwi can share narration with Dave and give motivational speeches in that great NZ accent. He will also have memorized all individual shots by all team members and on course will warn the rest of us when we're about to do something bonehead by reminding us of past stupidity, magically being the playing partner when anything troubling or controversial arises.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    definitely "No Way Out" with Sean Young.

It helped that Costner turned out to be the Soviet spy.

And that was before Sean Young's alcoholic career collapse. When she was hot. Blade Runner hot.

But that was early in Costner's career. Got worse fast.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

I agree. Interesting movie and he played the part well. I thought he was good in Field of Dreams.

Let's not forget The Untouchables. Great move and great direction by Brian DePalma including the longest uninterrupted continuous scene in modern cinema (courthouse corridor and elevators). Although Sean Connery stole the movie from Costner with his little finger.
    GR lives...

definitely "No Way Out" with Sean Young.

It helped that Costner turned out to be the Soviet spy.

And that was before Sean Young's alcoholic career collapse. When she was hot. Blade Runner hot.

But that was early in Costner's career. Got worse fast.
    You are right on about that movie.

He was a frat boy in the movie "Night Shift"......all I really remember is that it was one of the first movies I saw that had boobies and girls in underwear.....I was eight.

Let's not forget The Untouchables. Great move and great direction by Brian DePalma including the longest uninterrupted continuous scene in modern cinema (courthouse corridor and elevators). Although Sean Connery stole the movie from Costner with his little finger.
    I thought that movie was overrated. That scene you mentioned was painfully boring to watch.

I'm in.

who the hell cares about the tourney, we wanted to see the video of a strip joint

I thought that movie was overrated. That scene you mentioned was painfully boring to watch.
    Really, that scene was amazing if you noticed it's choreography. Try setting up a scene to run non-stop for over 90 seconds with multiple conversations, very fast pace, dozens of actors moving in a crossing pattern with opening and closing elevators and office doors. Everyone and everything in the scene was moving requiring positioning and angle adjustment off the charts in difficulty. It was almost silly to attempt but DePalma did it and carried it off. Gotta hand it to us Italians. Then to top it off an assassin enters and gruesomely kills several agents. And you found that scene boring? What do you want, Ping banners lining the corridors?

As far as the rest, I like Italian crime drama period pieces. It was sad when they got Capone. Connery won an acad. for that.
    GR lives...

Really, that scene was amazing if you noticed it's choreography. Try setting up a scene to run non-stop for over 90 seconds with multiple conversations, very fast pace, dozens of actors moving in a crossing pattern with opening and closing elevators and office doors. Everyone and everything in the scene was moving requiring positioning and angle adjustment off the charts in difficulty. It was almost silly to attempt but DePalma did it and carried it off. Gotta hand it to us Italians. Then to top it off an assassin enters and gruesomely kills several agents. And you found that scene boring? What do you want, Ping banners lining the corridors?

As far as the rest, I like Italian crime drama period pieces. It was sad when they got Capone. Connery won an acad. for that.
    I thought the whole baby carriage thing was overdone. I thought it was an OK movie. In general I like most mob-related movies. My favorite movie is The Godfather and Godfather Part II and I also like Goodfellas, Casino, Scarface, etc. I don't really look for certain things to justify why I should like a movie or not. I'm either entertained or I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    who the hell cares about the tourney, we wanted to see the video of a strip joint
    I will win this event.

I obviously have to disagree with you. "The Greatest Game Ever Played" was a great golf movie, too.

He was a frat boy in the movie "Night Shift"......all I really remember is that it was one of the first movies I saw that had boobies and girls in underwear.....I was eight.
    Shelly Long was SMOKING in that movie!

I will win this event.
    What is your handicap? What's Big Dave's?
    I'm not familiar if GR approves playing with handicaps or not.

I'm game to play a couple matches, a couple/few days of strokeplay...both. I'm hoping on playing every day I'm there regardless.

Can I be the guy in the red shirt who gets killed in the beginning ala Star Trek.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Kiwi can share narration with Dave and give motivational speeches in that great NZ accent. He will also have memorized all individual shots by all team members and on course will warn the rest of us when we're about to do something bonehead by reminding us of past stupidity, magically being the playing partner when anything troubling or controversial arises.
    Obviously this movie is going to be a huge hit so I'm already thinking ahead to the sequel. By then Famousdavis has secured a Ping contract and is going pro but is enticed back to play with his old college buddies for one last hurrah. By then they have all gone their separate ways and have kids, commitments etc but one by one each is persuaded to dust off the old sticks for one last shot at glory.

Meanwhile qtong, in his desperation to get through Q School and not be left languishing in Famousdavis's shadow has moved to Rancho Santa Fe and is getting daily swing lessons from swing guru Larryrsf. He has also switched to A flex graphite shafted Big Bertha Diablos and uses these in the final matchplay showdown with Famousdavis.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by jt1135
    Can I be the guy in the red shirt who gets killed in the beginning ala Star Trek.
    Good idea. You could be the innocent victim of one of qtong's wild, wayward tee shots, standing innocently in your back yard beside the golf course, tending to your rose garden. This could pre empt the 6th hole walk off.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Good idea. You could be the innocent victim of one of qtong's wild, wayward tee shots, standing innocently in your back yard beside the golf course, tending to your rose garden. This could pre empt the 6th hole walk off.
    It's a great theme. Every time someone's wearing a red shirt, they meet an unfortunate, untimely end. Sometimes Qbag's errant golf shot, others his thrown club, maybe even run over Qbag's overly souped up Toyota with Chink wings.
    GR lives...

I'm game to play a couple matches, a couple/few days of strokeplay...both. I'm hoping on playing every day I'm there regardless.
    There's a great course there named Paiute where I believe they have an all day rate where you can play more than once. I think it's around $129. I might be able to get there a day early and play on Sunday, May 22nd and we could play 36 holes. Maybe 18 holes of match play and 18 holes of stroke play.

We don't usually play handicaps but if there's a big enough difference I guess it would make sense. Dave and I always play without any strokes.

We don't usually play handicaps but if there's a big enough difference I guess it would make sense. Dave and I always play without any strokes.

Look at me!!! I have three posts in a row.

If we are going to have a Gr movie could we include some Monty Python? Big dave could be there with no arms on the 6th hole shouting at Qturd as he walks away, "come back you coward i will still out hit you".
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Maybe we could make a GR movie along these lines? It would be produced by Daveperk productions. Ok it won't be in cinemas until 2020 but it will be worth the wait. Here's a few suggestions for the characters:

Fred3 could be the gnarly old coach who gets the sack and Pingman could be the Stack N Tilt wonder coach who turns it all around?

Famousdavis could be the superstar of the team that we all depend on who is getting offers from other colleges but stays loyal to the team.

qtong could be the d'bag who considers himself superior to the rest of us and defects to another college whom we eventually defeat in the final.

Lorenzo is the talented but enigmatic star who doesn't perform to his potential because he is too busy womanizing. He says he can't make the final due to a hot date but turns up 5 minutes before the tee time and makes good!

Dave is the team big guy who is great as a drinking buddy and pseudo team body guard in bar altercations with other college teams.

NAH is the guy who just can't settle on a set of clubs and is struggling with Rams, Ping knock offs, Tommy Armours and Powerbilts until the day of the final when Soonerbs lends him a spare set of GFF blades and he shoots light out.

There must be other characters I've missed. Name a few?
    How about just making it a GR Caddy Shack.
    Dorkman would make a good Dr Beeper.
    Zo would be a given to be Denunzio, but would also proabbly have to play Ty.
    I'd probably say PM for Noonan, but he's to straight so maybe FD or HB.
    Carl would have to be played by Lyle even though he's not here anymore.
    Edgey or Pottsy could be the head greenskeeper.
    Me and Kiwi could play the extras who walk out during the cindarela scene but go back inside.
    Qtong could be Wang if he was still here.
    Stroke guru would be a good Smoke Porterhouse.
    Even though he isn't overly religious, Sooner could be the reverend.
    Mongrel and BJ or OP and Big Dave could be Moose and Rocko.
    Lou Loomis, Smails and Cervik would need more consideration, although Larry and Alan G Baker have the antagonism going to play Smails and Cervik, and Smails is a cheating, bigotted snob so Larry would be a good fit.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

IMO the only decent Costner movie and movie where he played a good character was 3,000 miles to Gracelands.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy
    If we are going to have a Gr movie could we include some Monty Python? Big dave could be there with no arms on the 6th hole shouting at Qturd as he walks away, "come back you coward i will still out hit you".
    Well I was kind of thinking kitchy Sunday night family movie about the down and out college team that comes good in the end but if that doesn't work then Monty Python is a great alternative.

Now where the f#ck am I?

The Monty Python parrot sketch would work with Larry as the seller and Qtard as the buyer.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

The Monty Python parrot sketch would work with Larry as the seller and Qtard as the buyer.
    Brilliant. What about Larry and Alan in the argument sketch?

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy
    I think a Benny Hill scene where they show Dave chasing Qtong in fast motion would be pretty funny. You'd need the Benny Hill music to go with it.

I can see it now and am laughing my ass off.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Have to have a flashback scene like Kung Fu where Larry is telling Qtard if he can snatch the golf ball out of his hand he is ready for the tour.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Have to have a flashback scene like Kung Fu where Larry is telling Qtard if he can snatch the golf ball out of his hand he is ready for the tour.
    Throw in a montage of slow motion tai chi during sunset ala Karate Kid
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

Or, how about some Romper Stomper. Big Dave(only need leather and knuckle dusters!!) and gang catch Qtard in the club house feasting where they proceed to shout " i'm gonna stomp on your F@#$in Head, then smash him into oblivion.
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

You mean like 1:16 of this

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/2640737/..._head_dream_on

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker

LOL - I used to be a big fan of Beavis and Butthead but many of my friends just didn't get it. I guess not everybody recognizes comic genius when they see it.

Now where the f#ck am I?

LOL - I used to be a big fan of Beavis and Butthead but many of my friends just didn't get it. I guess not everybody recognizes comic genius when they see it.
    That one was in my top 3 favourite episodes. I agree that it's humour that not everyone gets.

Thread Information