|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Range balls

Range balls

they fly further or shorter?

I was hitting them in sub40 temps this morning. Felt like rocks. Wouldnt fly anywhere. My drives were landing between the 200 and 250 marks. My 7i was barely making it to 150.

Or did I put 75 crap swings on the ball today?

Just wondering.
    Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet

I was hitting them in sub40 temps this morning. Felt like rocks. Wouldnt fly anywhere. My drives were landing between the 200 and 250 marks. My 7i was barely making it to 150.

Just wondering.
    Thx
    Few comments here LH
    if it's sub 40F, ball lost its ability to compress (nature of polymer, Tg or glass temperature drops) so don't expect it to go far, that's why it felt like a rock. One private country club where I sometimes play with my friends has a decent practice range and I am told that its range balls, even new, are made so that they won't go far

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    Few comments here LH
    if it's sub 40F, ball lost its ability to compress (nature of polymer, Tg or glass temperature drops) so don't expect it to go far, that's why it felt like a rock. One private country club where I sometimes play with my friends has a decent practice range and I am told that its range balls, even new, are made so that they won't go far
    Thx pky I appreciate it. I figured that was the case but then again I am capable of some real crap so I just needed to make sure!

Just wondering.
    Thx
    There are no public courses or ranges in my area with grass tees so my choice is go to the range and hit yellow Srixon range balls--the ones with two parallel black stripes, or go to one of several athletic fields near me and hit out of my own shag bag with the squirts are not practicing wanker ball. I found about 10 of those range balls in one of my fields couple of weeks ago and have been comparing them off all my clubs and, since it is still winter here, I've been hitting my shag balls in temperatures from 35* to 60* on the Fahrenheit scale. Some objective measurements: PW--lose 10 yards with the range balls over Srixon Z-Star and AD333. 7 iron: 15-20 yards less with range balls compared with the good balls. Driver, 3 wood and 20* hybrid: 20 yards or more plus the real balls fly, when well-struck, on boring trajectories. The range balls with those clubs seem to go into a stall just past apex and drop out of the sky. In summation, with only two words, they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel
    There are no public courses or ranges in my area with grass tees so my choice is go to the range and hit yellow Srixon range balls--the ones with two parallel black stripes, or go to one of several athletic fields near me and hit out of my own shag bag with the squirts are not practicing wanker ball. I found about 10 of those range balls in one of my fields couple of weeks ago and have been comparing them off all my clubs and, since it is still winter here, I've been hitting my shag balls in temperatures from 35* to 60* on the Fahrenheit scale. Some objective measurements: PW--lose 10 yards with the range balls over Srixon Z-Star and AD333. 7 iron: 15-20 yards less with range balls compared with the good balls. Driver, 3 wood and 20* hybrid: 20 yards or more plus the real balls fly, when well-struck, on boring trajectories. The range balls with those clubs seem to go into a stall just past apex and drop out of the sky. In summation, with only two words, they suck.
    Thank you. Sounds like you have been doing some comparing. Appreciate the reply. Supposed to warm up into the 60s be mid-late week here in Cincy so hoping I can get out for the innagural 2011 round.
    Thx mongrel.

Thank you. Sounds like you have been doing some comparing. Appreciate the reply. Supposed to warm up into the 60s be mid-late week here in Cincy so hoping I can get out for the innagural 2011 round.
    Thx mongrel.
    Glad to be of help. Weather is similar here couple of hundred miles east of you. Our official handicap season doesn't start until the Ides and I'll probably take a day off from work and get in my first 2011 round shortly thereafter. By the way, one of the main reasons I prefer hitting in the fields besides the balls is that I cannot see golfballs in flight very well anymore especially at the local ranges. I can't figure out why the morons who site driving ranges insist on designing them so that the tees face both the sun and the prevailing winds. In the fields, I see my shots much better and pace their distances. I also use Google Earth to verify different field distances so my take on range ball performance is pretty accurate. Its interesting to me that about the time of the proliferation of the big head titanium drivers, the ranges would replenish their ball supplies with shorter carrying balls since most of them around here max out around 250. I remember flying the woods at the end of the one I use most often 15-20 years ago with far inferior drivers and shafts.

Thx pky I appreciate it. I figured that was the case but then again I am capable of some real crap so I just needed to make sure!
    Also keep in mind that cold air (sub 40F) is denser air than say 70F... so there is lot of resistance for a golf ball to fly thru... compare to high elevation like golf courses in Colorado, air is thin, so ball goes further

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    Also keep in mind that cold air (sub 40F) is denser air than say 70F... so there is lot of resistance for a golf ball to fly thru... compare to high elevation like golf courses in Colorado, air is thin, so ball goes further
    yeap! that is quite correct High, Hot, and Humid conditions adversly affect flight performance.
    ... a tree branch, or my foot.

Thread Information