|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Psychiatric Help

Yesterday, ten players show up - so we have two fivesomes. We play two wagers:

1) Dogfight/Stableford - Individual against Field - $5 bet - $35 to winner - $15 to second place. 1-2-4 point system.

2) Bestball - group against group. Take best 2 balls from each group and play them against each other in a Nassau - hole by hole.

I shoot four over on the first five holes including two "sandies" where I almost holed shots from greenside bunkers. Butt - I missed a two footer to save par one a tough Par 3 and I doubled the hardest hole on the course on #5.

So as we tee off on #6, a reachable Par 5 (495) with water-carry in front of green - I am a mental jumble.

Good drive, setting me up with 220 to pin - 195 to carry pond. Hit the Sonartec 5 wood on front. Have a 30 footer to second level pin.

Almost drain it for eagle but have solid birdie.

I then proceed to miss 8 makeable birdie putts on the remaining holes.

I have 29 points (quota 28) and lose $11.

I used to be a good putter and now I can't seem to make anything. Once again, I am Not Three Putting. The ball just won't go down...

I shoot 81 and walk off under a cloud...

It happens man. It stinks, but it happens. If you are happy with your putter, technique, and overview just suck it up and hope for better next time.

I can go several rounds hitting gobs of greens and make nothing. I can also play horribly and make everything. Only once or twice a year do I actually hit it great and make everything.

I like my pre- putt routine. I like my putter. I like my stroke simply because I understand it. I feel like I read greens really well. Sometimes it just does not work. And I don't sweat it. I don't three putt often. If I make everything 4 foot or less and have one or less three putts on the card I don't get upset. I just figure it was not my day.

Sounds like you let a monster get away though. Too bad.

Nothing like missing a two footer to screw your brain up for awhile. Keep avoiding the three putts and they will start falling again. Probably just in time for your driver to go south but they will start falling again.

Hey, do you practice the short putts? You know, the 3, 4 footers? When I start missing the short ones I just putt in my hallway, using a dime as a target. Usually from about 4 feet. Just roll putt after putt, using my routine, until I'm rolling 8 out of 10 directly over the dime, and stopping within 12 inches past. It helps to make the short putts automatic (takes your head out of it), and actually helps my touch with the longer putts, because I always begin by hitting them too hard, trying to keep them straight through any break (like the lumpy donut).

Dave is inevitably right, tho. You know as soon as the putting comes together, something else will slip.

what type of putter are you using and change it if you dont fell comfortable with it a change a new putter might give you more confidence if that doesnt work just practice your putting for a hour every nught thats what i do
    Feels just like it should.

I need to change my pre-putt routine.

This all started when I changed my grip on the regular swing. I had been holding the club too hard and my instructor got me to let go of it. Nice loose grip now - good wrist hinge at top and decent power for someone my age.

So once I lightened the pressure on my clubs, I lightened it on the putter too. And I since the putting problems started when I made the grip change - my only conclusion is that I may have lost a bit of control due to a light putter grip. Don't three putt much bc my distance control is still solid. Use same techniques as before. I just cannot get a ball to go in the hole from 20 feet In.....around it, lipouts, behind hole.....

Maybe I'll take off the glove now to get into a new pre putt routine and mindset. Hold the putter more firmly.

In any event, 81 is not a bad score and I need to get this out of my head bc it is ruining the fun of it all....

technique or misreading

Are you sure its technique or not quite reading the line right. I recently started to develop a similar problem and bought the Sergio Garcia putter ball (made by Carbite) to practice with and it sure does show up any slight fault in the stroke Through using it I now keep my ball on the chosen line better but it has not helped me to find the right line though.

One more thing and I'll leave you alone.

81 is a great score, btw. I'd take it every week.

I like Tiger's views on putting. If you've never read them, look here:

http://www.hudson-valleygolf.com/art...howtoputt.html

It covers grip pressure--light, but not too light--and highlights my own bugaboo--which is looking up too quickly. Nothing screws me up worse.

Jim8flog and Scott:

I am willing to try anything. I like the idea of anything that can help with alignment.

And - if anything - Tiger's putting has remained outstanding through his relatively poor play.

As to whether I can assimilate anything from him - that remains to be seen...

Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know how it comes out...

bravo

81 in a fivesome?????? WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo35223
    Yesterday, ten players show up - so we have two fivesomes. We play two wagers:

1) Dogfight/Stableford - Individual against Field - $5 bet - $35 to winner - $15 to second place. 1-2-4 point system.

2) Bestball - group against group. Take best 2 balls from each group and play them against each other in a Nassau - hole by hole.

I shoot four over on the first five holes including two "sandies" where I almost holed shots from greenside bunkers. Butt - I missed a two footer to save par one a tough Par 3 and I doubled the hardest hole on the course on #5.

So as we tee off on #6, a reachable Par 5 (495) with water-carry in front of green - I am a mental jumble.

Good drive, setting me up with 220 to pin - 195 to carry pond. Hit the Sonartec 5 wood on front. Have a 30 footer to second level pin.

Almost drain it for eagle but have solid birdie.

I then proceed to miss 8 makeable birdie putts on the remaining holes.

I have 29 points (quota 28) and lose $11.

I used to be a good putter and now I can't seem to make anything. Once again, I am Not Three Putting. The ball just won't go down...

I shoot 81 and walk off under a cloud...
    After reading your story and the resulting posts/replies, I am mystified by something...

Since you (Bravo) said you shot 81 and simply called it "not bad" that makes me tend to believe that you are capable, or believe you are capable of shooting better.

But, in the same post, you mentioned you played in a fivesome (with another competing fivesome to boot). I don't know where you play, but here in Central Ohio, fivesomes are considered the most shameful, inconsiderate method of golfers grouping together possible. I've gotten into verbal cussing matches with both players and course staff/management about fivesomes and damn near come to blows.

My point is this...shooting an 81 and calling it "not bad" while playing in a fivesome is like...

...riding the short bus to Harvard.
    -- gbel75

What's in my bag?
    Cobra 450 Tour 8.0° Driver
    Mizuno MP-001 3 & 5 Woods
    Taylor Made RAC LT 4-9 Irons
    Cleveland 588 47, 51, 56 & 60° Wedges
    Precept U-Tri tour Balls
    Usually a nectarine, bottle of water and a metronome, among other crap...

Quote Originally Posted by gbel75
    After reading your story and the resulting posts/replies, I am mystified by something...

Since you (Bravo) said you shot 81 and simply called it "not bad" that makes me tend to believe that you are capable, or believe you are capable of shooting better.

But, in the same post, you mentioned you played in a fivesome (with another competing fivesome to boot). I don't know where you play, but here in Central Ohio, fivesomes are considered the most shameful, inconsiderate method of golfers grouping together possible. I've gotten into verbal cussing matches with both players and course staff/management about fivesomes and damn near come to blows.

My point is this...shooting an 81 and calling it "not bad" while playing in a fivesome is like...

...riding the short bus to Harvard.
    Yes, playing in a fivesome is rare for me also. I may play in a fivesome a couple of times per year.

Here's the context: I get to play golf once a week - either on Saturday morning OR Sunday morning. I am a member of a club and as you can imagine, the place is packed on Saturday mornings while there is virtually nobody there on Sunday mornings.

Fivesomes are banned on our course at all times except after 3:00 on weekdays and Sunday mornings. And you can only play a fivesome at those times with the permission of the staff - after they have evaluated the course load at that time. So last Sunday morning, there were very few golfers and we hooked up as two fivesomes so we could get a good group bet going.

We are constantly wagering and the format is dependent upon the number of players. If nine players show up - we will play 3 threesomes and have an Individual Stableford and a 3 Team Bet. If eight show up - we'll have two foursomes, etc....If ten show up, and we are permitted to play two fivesomes - we'll do that. Seven and Five are the hardest to do and we often just can the Team bets and play an individual stableford. We love the group dynamic though.

And yes I am capable of shooting better. My home course handicap is 9 and I shot 9 over that day. Frustrated about missing all those birdie opportunities. I just can't seem to make any putts....

Been there

Bravo,

The situation you describe, right down to the individual scores on holes, is so familiar to me that it's eerie. Been there a dozen times this year, at least.

Every response I can think of is fairly obvious, but here's a couple just for purposes of support. One, try to be less attached to outcomes. You may already be doing this, because you *must* have enjoyed some of the close shots you were hitting, but if you putt like John Daly (pick a line, hit it, and forget it), you'll free up your stroke a lot. Try to make good strokes for the SAKE of good strokes; the ones that don't go in aren't necessarily bad strokes, and even if they are, once they're made, they won't have any bad effect on future putts unless you let them. Two, absolutely change something. As you suggested, take your glove off if you've been wearing it, or change putters. I used to try to find the ultimate for each slot in my bag and get rid of all pretenders to the throne, figuring that the club/putter that was the best was the best, end of story. Now, however, I realize that "best" is a fragile concept and that if I get stale on one putter, a change to a different type improves my concentration. Once upon a time, I changed my grip on the putter or my alignment or suchlike when my putting got stale, but that's more dangerous than simply changing clubs (as you would know). Heck, I imagine it would temporarily help your putting just to change the putter's grip; what you're after is a change in perspective.

And by all means, keep your head down until you hear the putts drop (or not). You should know by the movement of the putter whether or not you've made a good stroke. Once you do that, nothing you can do will influence the outcome, so why look? Coming out of putts is a terrible, insidious habit.
    [COLOR=SeaGreen]Trust the club.[/COLOR]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/FONT]

I Do think I am coming out of the putt. I hear Johnny Miller talking about this all the time on TV. He watches the tip of their nose and it better not move before the ball reaches the hole.

Arrrgggghhh...this used to be the best part of my game. I improve the driving and ball striking and this starts to fail. I am four strokes better than a year ago and I am putting much worse.

Gotta get it out of my head. It's like a Golf Insane Asylum.

Soon I'll start hearing voices.

Thread Information