|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

What is staff bag vs. stand vs. cart bag?

OK, it's been pointed out to me that I need a bag.

I get that stand bags have little metal rods to brace the bag (bet they don't work on soft soil or inclines), and cart bags fit on carts, but what is a staff bag?

I'm planning on using one of those hand carts that you pull (not the kind you drive in).

Is there a difference in weight or number/type of pockets or durability?

What should I spend (not junk and not cadillac)?

Again, I am ebay-bound.

I'm going to use my son's driver (bought him a better one), but I will need a putter. Seems like there's a wide variety and not a lot of agreement as to the "best " type. Any general things I should look for? What is the reasonable price for such a thing?

Thanks again,
    Phoebe

I believe staff bags are the giant ugly ones that cost about $250. They are used by the PGA Tour guys and weigh a ton and are for egos only. For a pull cart I'd recommend either a stand bag or a bag the size of a stand bag without the stand (cart bag maybe???). Find one with pockets that are easily reachable for your pull cart and that will allow you easy access to all clubs. Um, if you ever plan on forgetting your cart (it happens) or maybe at times carrying your bag to the range without the cart...go with a stand bag. Most of them will fit without much fuss to a pull cart but have added versatility because you can carry them and have them "stand" if you forget or don't want to use your pull cart. Anyway, ramble, ramble, just don't get a staff bag. Unless you're insane.

As far as putters. Try them. If you are buying off of eBay and can't try one...then...well, I don't know. I'd recommend trying as many as possible at a golf store (be sure to pretend like you're going to buy it from them) and then buy if off of eBay...I know it seems immoral but you'll live.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by phoebe3
    OK, it's been pointed out to me that I need a bag.

I get that stand bags have little metal rods to brace the bag (bet they don't work on soft soil or inclines), and cart bags fit on carts, but what is a staff bag?

I'm planning on using one of those hand carts that you pull (not the kind you drive in).

Is there a difference in weight or number/type of pockets or durability?

What should I spend (not junk and not cadillac)?

Again, I am ebay-bound.

I'm going to use my son's driver (bought him a better one), but I will need a putter. Seems like there's a wide variety and not a lot of agreement as to the "best " type. Any general things I should look for? What is the reasonable price for such a thing?

Thanks again,
    Phoebe
    Phoebe;
    If you are going to get a "pull cart", I have a better idea; a "push cart". Pull carts are (not surprisingly) pulled. This puts an uneven stress on the back and shoulders, and can be uncomfortable. Furthermore, they have a lot of rolling resistance. A 3 wheel push cart, such as the Sun Mountain Speed Cart or the Bag Boy cost a little more initially, but are vastly superior, in my opinion. You are simply pushing straight ahead instead of pulling at an angle behind, so the back and shoulder strain are non-existant. Rolling resistance is only a fraction of a pull cart, because the tires and bearings are higher quality. I have had a Sun Mountain for about 2 years now, and hardly ever play a round without it, except in blazing summer heat or on courses with enormous distances between holes (one course I sometimes play rambles through neighborhoods for up to a third of a mile between holes; ridiculous for walking). The Sun Mountain costs more than the Bag Boy, but has an important advantage; the brake is hand actuated, so you can use it to slow yourself on steep declining slopes, and it's just easier to set than a foot mounted brake on the Bag Boy.
    I certainly agree NOT to get a staff bag for a hand cart. Get a stand bag or a cart bag; there are a large number of manufacturers from which to choose.

As someone who recently bought a new carry bag, these are my recommendations to you:

1. Definitely get a stand bag. This was one of the two main reasons I 'upgraded'. They are much more convenient and almost certainly better for your clubs.

2. Get one of those newer bags with the dual-strap system. That way you can carry it like a backpack, with equal weight on each shoulder. This is actually better for you and less tiring than pulling a cart.

3. Decide what you need in a bag. Do you live somewhere where it's necessary to carry extra dry socks, a windbreaker, etc? What types of personal items will you carry with you - cell phone, wallet, and so forth. Is an umbrella holder something you need? What about an insulated beverage holder (my new bag has one, and I love it.)

4. Try to get the lightest bag that's as sturdy as you require. Cost be damned (within reason) since you'll hopefully be carrying your bag around with you several hours a week.

I own a Cleveland Golf carry bag. I love it it holds everything i need, it's light, it has dual shoulder straps, and it looks good. If you are to get anything get a carry bag. They are by far superior. As for putter check our www.yesglf.com. A little known compnay that makes great putters, i use the "amy" model my self.
    Serenity NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Quote Originally Posted by MAHALLEDAY
    I own a Cleveland Golf carry bag. I love it it holds everything i need, it's light, it has dual shoulder straps, and it looks good. If you are to get anything get a carry bag. They are by far superior. As for putter check our www.yesglf.com. A little known compnay that makes great putters, i use the "amy" model my self.

I'm guessing you meant www.yesgolf.com?

Yeah theres my wonderful typing at work again.
    Serenity NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Thread Information