|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Z-health

Z-health

Curios if anyone has heard of this? I'm sure I'm going to get the GR shiat train but here's a couple youtubes.

Now I would have thought this to be snake oil stuff but I was just referred to a trainer that is z-health certified by a physical therapists, been in the training business for 30 years, and is RKC level II certified and was the first instructor to be certified level I in Oregon.

So, what say you? Real stuff or snake oil? I've had spinal adjustments were these strength test were done and I know it's real for the back. But for other unrelated joints? Maybe the Far east knew more than we thought?

I think I have that carpet in my home theatre. The basic pattern not the accents. I love the carpet, it provides great feel underfoot and excellent acoustics. I highly recommend it.

Somebody name a joint? How about a fatty?
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I think I have that carpet in my home theatre. The basic pattern not the accents. I love the carpet, it provides great feel underfoot and excellent acoustics. I highly recommend it.

Any is fine as long as you don't bogart it.

I think it is a very interesting concept. I'm no bio mechanics tech head, but to my limited logic on this topic the theory has merit. I've had tendonitis on the inside of the right elbow (golfers elbow) on and off (more on than off) for close on a year now, and nothing I do seems to get rid of it. I've recently tried some counter stretching of the arm and wrist (stretching in the opposite direction to the contractions of muscles when gripping things) and it has helped a little, but I'm open to ways of fixing the problem. I'll have to lok into whether they have anyoneover here doing it.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    I think it is a very interesting concept. I'm no bio mechanics tech head, but to my limited logic on this topic the theory has merit. I've had tendonitis on the inside of the right elbow (golfers elbow) on and off (more on than off) for close on a year now, and nothing I do seems to get rid of it. I've recently tried some counter stretching of the arm and wrist (stretching in the opposite direction to the contractions of muscles when gripping things) and it has helped a little, but I'm open to ways of fixing the problem. I'll have to lok into whether they have anyoneover here doing it.
    This maybe not what you want to hear NAH but I have had this problem. I originally injured my elbow going too hard at solid clay digging stump holes with a crowbar. It was definately tender when swinging but i didn't let it stop me. I also had inflamation of the joint or tennis elbow. I did it in 2003 and it didn't completely come good until 2008.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    This maybe not what you want to hear NAH but I have had this problem. I originally injured my elbow going too hard at solid clay digging stump holes with a crowbar. It was definately tender when swinging but i didn't let it stop me. I also had inflamation of the joint or tennis elbow. I did it in 2003 and it didn't completely come good until 2008.
    You're right, that's not what I want to hear. The good news is it's manageable and doesn't seem to be getting worse. I've started doing chin ups which probably doesn't help either. I just tok delivery of a neoprene elbow brace which I will trial tomorrow. Hopefully it will help.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

You're right, that's not what I want to hear. The good news is it's manageable and doesn't seem to be getting worse. I've started doing chin ups which probably doesn't help either. I just tok delivery of a neoprene elbow brace which I will trial tomorrow. Hopefully it will help.
    I also used a neoprene brace for over a year when the condition was at it's worst. It did help I believe. The bad news is it took a long time to get better. The good news is it never got worse and was more annoying than anything else.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Italians are at great risk of developing tendonitis in one or both elbows. The best prevention and treatment is to talk less.

If we must talk, stretching before-hand helps as does not getting too angry or frustrated while speaking.
    GR lives...

I've got the elbow thing going in the left side. Like OP says, it's more annoying than anything else. It doesn't limit my range of motion. Mine, I think, is gymn related. I overdid the arms one night. It doesn't hurt when I swing, but after I've beat a bunch of balls it aches like a mf'er. Avoid face-beakers. (I'm pretty sure that's what got me) There are better ways to do the triceps. As far as Z-Health goes, I think it's the best thing ever, or a to total load of horsesh!t. Ok, I didn't look at the videos.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

I have a book that has series of sketches for common joint issues. As I recall most tennis elbows are caused from tight tricepts. I'll see if I can find the book and end you the information.

I would probably have dismissed the z-health because some of it seems too unbelievable. Like thumb affects the hip abductor. Seems too.unrelated. if it wasn't for the reputation of this trainer I wouldn't even consider it. Long and short, I think its mostly.a series of movements you do to move all of your joints in every direction to free the joints.

I personally have some functional movement issues that I'm trying to clean up from breaking my leg and being on crutches for a year. Your mind and body do retain movement patterns long after you heal. In my case, I never went back to a proper movement pattern. It is causing issues in my lower back and neck. We'll see. I'm probably going to use him and give him 4-6 months of my business. Mostly for the kettlebell and function movement training but I'm now a bit interested about this snake oil looking stuff.

I also used a neoprene brace for over a year when the condition was at it's worst. It did help I believe. The bad news is it took a long time to get better. The good news is it never got worse and was more annoying than anything else.
    Tendons always take a long time to properly heal. I'll take some positives from the 'it never got worse', however with my condition it does get worse from time to time, but if you meant that the overall condition didn't deteriorate I think my elbow would probably fall into that category. It does get worse after golf or exercise, but the 'worse' is consistent from week to week and hasn't got any more painful, and recovery doesn't take any longer.

I hope you have HD in your theatre. If not you need to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I hope you have HD in your theatre. If not you need to upgrade.
    I get HD regularly in my home theatre, sometimes doggy.
    GR lives...

I get HD regularly in my home theatre, sometimes doggy.
    Yeah, I've never really been a big fan of him or Dr. Dre. He is I and I am him, slim with the tilted grin, what's my mutha fu@kin name?

I think Snoop put it most romantically:

I've been looking at you, from the corner of my eyes
    Checking out your hips, lips, tits and your thighs
    I've been wanting to do you, for a mighty long time
    You make a pimp wanna sing I - I - I
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    I have a book that has series of sketches for common joint issues. As I recall most tennis elbows are caused from tight tricepts. I'll see if I can find the book and end you the information.

I would probably have dismissed the z-health because some of it seems too unbelievable. Like thumb affects the hip abductor. Seems too.unrelated. if it wasn't for the reputation of this trainer I wouldn't even consider it. Long and short, I think its mostly.a series of movements you do to move all of your joints in every direction to free the joints.

I personally have some functional movement issues that I'm trying to clean up from breaking my leg and being on crutches for a year. Your mind and body do retain movement patterns long after you heal. In my case, I never went back to a proper movement pattern. It is causing issues in my lower back and neck. We'll see. I'm probably going to use him and give him 4-6 months of my business. Mostly for the kettlebell and function movement training but I'm now a bit interested about this snake oil looking stuff.
    I'm having lower back and neck issues right now. I have had upper back/neck issues for years caused by poor posture, desk job, muscle imbalance etc I have learned to live with it through posture exercises, stretching etc. It is a constant low level pain/discomfort but as OP said about his elbow, more of an annoyance than anything. Never stopped me doing anything least of all golf.

In the last month however I have screwed my lower back muscles. I has having a terrible time with my driving and was getting stuck and sending a lot of shots right. A block was also my usual miss with the irons. I started doing drills to work on my follow through and started hitting the ball much better but I think I may have been forcing the follow through and putting an unnatural twisting strain on my lower back and I have now been out of action for the past 2-3 weeks which really sucks. Currently having physiotherapy which doesn't seem to be doing much good. If this doesn't come right soon I'm considering trying a local osteopath I have heard good things about. I'm usually pretty cynical about these types of quacks but when you have an injury that puts you out of action I'll try anything.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    In the last month however I have screwed my lower back muscles. I has having a terrible time with my driving and was getting stuck and sending a lot of shots right.
    I'm having hip pain from time to time when driving while screwing. I don't know how to describe it, but it's in the right hip joint. It happens most frequently with sidesaddle.

I used to get stuck some but with a good lubricant it's been less of a problem.

Not sure about sending shots to the right, I think mine go to the left but then at that moment I'm not really observant.
    GR lives...

I'm having lower back and neck issues right now. I have had upper back/neck issues for years caused by poor posture, desk job, muscle imbalance etc I have learned to live with it through posture exercises, stretching etc. It is a constant low level pain/discomfort but as OP said about his elbow, more of an annoyance than anything. Never stopped me doing anything least of all golf.

In the last month however I have screwed my lower back muscles. I has having a terrible time with my driving and was getting stuck and sending a lot of shots right. A block was also my usual miss with the irons. I started doing drills to work on my follow through and started hitting the ball much better but I think I may have been forcing the follow through and putting an unnatural twisting strain on my lower back and I have now been out of action for the past 2-3 weeks which really sucks. Currently having physiotherapy which doesn't seem to be doing much good. If this doesn't come right soon I'm considering trying a local osteopath I have heard good things about. I'm usually pretty cynical about these types of quacks but when you have an injury that puts you out of action I'll try anything.
    Ping k15 irons would alleviate all of the problems you mention above. Of course, the biggest bonus would be to your golf score.

Ping k15 irons would alleviate all of the problems you mention above. Of course, the biggest bonus would be to your golf score.
    The K15s are kind of pricey given the rave reviews by Edgey and the fact that they are such a recent model. Any earlier models that will provide similar benefits whilst saving a little cash?

Now where the f#ck am I?

I think Snoop put it most romantically:

I've been looking at you, from the corner of my eyes
    Checking out your hips, lips, tits and your thighs
    I've been wanting to do you, for a mighty long time
    You make a pimp wanna sing I - I - I
    More sage-like verse:

"You know ain't down wit' dat sh!t lieutenant.
    Ain't no pu$$y good enough to get burnt while I'm up in it." -Snoop Doggy Dogg
    I just shed a solitary tear.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    More sage-like verse:

"You know ain't down wit' dat sh!t lieutenant.
    Ain't no pu$$y good enough to get burnt while I'm up in it." -Snoop Doggy Dogg
    I just shed a solitary tear.
    If I was ever charged with rape I think I'd go with that.
    GR lives...

If I was ever charged with rape I think I'd go with that.
    Consideration should be given to the thoughts of anyone that can beat a murder rap while wearing corn-rows.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

The K15s are kind of pricey given the rave reviews by Edgey and the fact that they are such a recent model. Any earlier models that will provide similar benefits whilst saving a little cash?
    Well of course you could buy the Ping Eye 2s but those are meant for greatness, and I see the potential in you. I just saw a set of Ping Raptures with ZZ65 shafts go for $300 on the bay. Who are we kidding, you'll never leave Mizuno.

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    Consideration should be given to the thoughts of anyone that can beat a murder rap while wearing corn-rows.
    In LA, athletes and entertainers can beat any rap not only wearing cornrows but strangling babies in both hands while in court.
    GR lives...

In LA, athletes and entertainers can beat any rap not only wearing cornrows but strangling babies in both hands while in court.
    And, trying to run away from police driving 55 miles an hour down an L.A. freeway in a Ford Bronco . . . . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

I for one am sorry to hear you are having back problems, Kiwi, I hope you get them figured out soon and get back on the course.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    I for one am sorry to hear you are having back problems, Kiwi, I hope you get them figured out soon and get back on the course.

Ditto that Kiwi. As reminded by my PT, most surgeons want to cut. I would weigh my options and try many things before I let someone cut on my back. It's difficult to fix a bad surgery.

Ditto that Kiwi. As reminded by my PT, most surgeons want to cut. I would weigh my options and try many things before I let someone cut on my back. It's difficult to fix a bad surgery.
    I know of at least two people who are continuing to have back surgeries to repair what was screwed up by the original surgery on the back. But, I also know of some who have had some success with back surgeries, including my brother. I had an option of having surgery on two bulging discs in my lower back about 10 years ago, but I took the second option of dealing with the pain. Today, I still have the bulging discs according to MRIs, but no pain. I would advise giving it some time, Kiwi. You might just need to give your back some rest like I did 10 years ago by: not lifting anything too heavy, no running, no golf, no stooping over to pick things up, etc.

I know of at least two people who are continuing to have back surgeries to repair what was screwed up by the original surgery on the back. But, I also know of some who have had some success with back surgeries, including my brother. I had an option of having surgery on two bulging discs in my lower back about 10 years ago, but I took the second option of dealing with the pain. Today, I still have the bulging discs according to MRIs, but no pain. I would advise giving it some time, Kiwi. You might just need to give your back some rest like I did 10 years ago by: not lifting anything too heavy, no running, no golf, no stooping over to pick things up, etc.
    I'm sure all of us in our 40's and older know similar stories/people. Once you break humpty dumpty its hard to put him back together again.

I read a report of a sergeon at Oregon health science university. He wanted to know how many normal people have issues like bulging discs but don't know it and don't have pain. He mri'd 250 healthy adults between 40-60. He found that over 10% of those in the study had back issues that would be advised to have surgery if they can into his office with pain. It was an eye opener for him.

This upper back/neck issue sounds exactly like mine. i have had bad posture for years, particularly sitting at a desk. About 6 or so months ago I got continuous pain in the neck and shoulder, which flared up only afetr sitting behind a desk. I got an ergonomic work station and had some sessions with a chiropractor (who told me my whole upper back and cervical spine was realy stiff). The chiro and stretching at work has helped things a fair it. I still get a sore neck and shoulder if I sit for to long at my desk and forget about my posture, but it goes away quicker now. IMO osteos and chiros aren't quacks, my chiro sessions helped me out heaps, and I could feel my back getting less stiff at each session when he was cracking it. I don't believe that they can heal every ailment known to man like they claim, but the more basic stuff like spina manipulation can certainly help the spine from my experience.
    Last edited by Not a hacker; 03-23-2011 at 05:47 PM.

This upper back/neck issue sounds exactly like mine. i have had bad posture for years, particularly sitting at a desk. About 6 or so months ago I got continuous pain in the neck and shoulder, which flared up only afetr sitting behind a desk. I got an ergonomic work station and had some sessions with a chiropractor (who told me my whole upper back and cervical spine was realy stiff). The chiro and stretching at work has helped things a fair it. I still get a sore neck and shoulder if I sit for to long at my desk and forget about my posture, but it goes away quicker now. IMO osteos and chiros aren't quacks, my chiro sessions helped me out heaps, and I could feel my back getting less stiff at each session when he was cracking it. I don't believe that they can heal every ailment known to man like they claim, but the more basic stuff like spina manipulation can certainly help the spine from my experience.
    Maybe these back/neck/shoulder problems are directly proportional to total post count on GR. (roughly 16,000 between NAH and Kiwi alone) All those hours hunched over a keyboard posting may take a toll.

Well of course you could buy the Ping Eye 2s but those are meant for greatness, and I see the potential in you. I just saw a set of Ping Raptures with ZZ65 shafts go for $300 on the bay. Who are we kidding, you'll never leave Mizuno.
    The Raptures are the most ugly godawful shovel ping has made IMO. Who wants a titanium faced, Thai cast, widesoled, green offset monster in their bag.
    They just look very cheap and nasty.

Maybe these back/neck/shoulder problems are directly proportional to total post count on GR. (roughly 16,000 between NAH and Kiwi alone) All those hours hunched over a keyboard posting may take a toll.
    I've been zinged!

The Raptures are the most ugly godawful shovel ping has made IMO. Who wants a titanium faced, Thai cast, widesoled, green offset monster in their bag.
    Don't hold back, OP, really tell us how you feel . . . . . .

I've been zinged!
    When OP goes for the jugular like that, it's a safe bet that wife of his has been has been climbing up his ass.
    GR lives...

You really went over the line with the green comment.

Why on earth would Kiwi want to spend money on K15 irons just to shoot in the 70,s when he can hack his way round the course with Mizzie blades to a crowd pleasing 85?

Just a thought

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    Why on earth would Kiwi want to spend money on K15 irons just to shoot in the 70,s when he can hack his way round the course with Mizzie blades to a crowd pleasing 85?

Just a thought

Edgey

Self respect?
    GR lives...

Poe,

LOL at the Z-health program. Studies show that the placebo effect works better on gullible individuals. I have no doubt that this program could have a pretty profound effect on the mentally feeble. It looks like this guy might have uncovered the lost eastern art of stretching.

I have some advice that might work for you...free of charge. Stand in front of the mirror and tell yourself 100 times in a row each night that your back and neck feels and moves perfectly fine...then sprinkle some water on your head, sign the cross on your chest, and loudly proclaim "I am healed!!!"
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist
    Poe,

LOL at the Z-health program. Studies show that the placebo effect works better on gullible individuals. I have no doubt that this program could have a pretty profound effect on the mentally feeble. It looks like this guy might have uncovered the lost eastern art of stretching.

I have some advice that might work for you...free of charge. Stand in front of the mirror and tell yourself 100 times in a row each night that your back and neck feels and moves perfectly fine...then sprinkle some water on your head, sign the cross on your chest, and loudly proclaim "I am healed!!!"
    Sounds like a plan. I'm not sold as I mentioned in the first post. Things that are directly related or in the kinematic chain I could buy. Like a foot joint being out of place might cause that leg to reduce it's strength but a thumb being jammed has the same effect? Hard to buy.

There's also many documented cases where the whole chain can be affect. It's not unusual for someone with a joint, either stability or mobility, to affect other parts of the body. It usually works up the chain. Like a bad knee can cause lower back or neck problems. This is the reason many PT's are going to a Functional Movement Screen to see where the problem is in the chain. But jammed jaw effects the hip flexor? Really?

I have had my back go out and a chiropractor did similar tests. It wasn't a placebo effect. I was adjusted different times during the session and finally the muscle started to work. That makes sense to me. If a nerve is getting pressed in the back the muscle might not be getting a good response to work. Relieve the pressure and it get a better signal to work.

That said, 17 years ago when I broke my leg the PT was very basic. Just strengthen the affected muscles. Seems reasonable but they now understand that injuries affect the neuropaths to protect the body as a whole. Functional movement has changed as a result. Just strengthening the muscles doesn't teach the body how to move correctly especially if you've had injuries.

All of the Functional Movement stuff I agree with and it's not just stretching. You can be very flexible but It doesn't mean you are moving correctly . I have what a PT calls "glute amnesia." Most arse sitters, especially ex-athletes, get this over time. (Shoes have also caused us to stop using our glutes as much.) Basically you don't know how to employ the glue for proper movement. This results in the use of the back and hamstrings to do what the glute is designed to do. Over time it can/will cause back issues.

Curious, have you ever had acupuncture? Or would you consider that a placebo effect as well?

Sounds like a plan. I'm not sold as I mentioned in the first post. Things that are directly related or in the kinematic chain I could buy. Like a foot joint being out of place might cause that leg to reduce it's strength but a thumb being jammed has the same effect? Hard to buy.

There's also many documented cases where the whole chain can be affect. It's not unusual for someone with a joint, either stability or mobility, to affect other parts of the body. It usually works up the chain. Like a bad knee can cause lower back or neck problems. This is the reason many PT's are going to a Functional Movement Screen to see where the problem is in the chain. But jammed jaw effects the hip flexor? Really?

I have had my back go out and a chiropractor did similar tests. It wasn't a placebo effect. I was adjusted different times during the session and finally the muscle started to work. That makes sense to me. If a nerve is getting pressed in the back the muscle might not be getting a good response to work. Relieve the pressure and it get a better signal to work.

That said, 17 years ago when I broke my leg the PT was very basic. Just strengthen the affected muscles. Seems reasonable but they now understand that injuries affect the neuropaths to protect the body as a whole. Functional movement has changed as a result. Just strengthening the muscles doesn't teach the body how to move correctly especially if you've had injuries.

All of the Functional Movement stuff I agree with and it's not just stretching. You can be very flexible but It doesn't mean you are moving correctly . I have what a PT calls "glute amnesia." Most arse sitters, especially ex-athletes, get this over time. (Shoes have also caused us to stop using our glutes as much.) Basically you don't know how to employ the glue for proper movement. This results in the use of the back and hamstrings to do what the glute is designed to do. Over time it can/will cause back issues.

Curious, have you ever had acupuncture? Or would you consider that a placebo effect as well?
    I don't have too much experience with injuries. Did have turf toe once from jambing my big toe and slightly fracturing it...Hurt like hell and had me hobbled for 2 months, but I didn't rush things and just let it heal naturally.

The body does a pretty good job of adapting to changing conditions. If you want the body to work differently then you have to train differently. Have you ever noticed how many Olympic athletes seem to develop specific body types...Distance runners are skinny with long endurance muscles, sprinters have huge muscular legs for anaerobic speed, swimmers are usually skinny with huge shoulder-chest-back muscles, and gymnasts are like short muscle balls. There is some genetic predisposition to body type, but the body will continue to adapt to the training it receives.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

I don't have too much experience with injuries. Did have turf toe once from jambing my big toe and slightly fracturing it...Hurt like hell and had me hobbled for 2 months, but I didn't rush things and just let it heal naturally.

The body does a pretty good job of adapting to changing conditions. If you want the body to work differently then you have to train differently. Have you ever noticed how many Olympic athletes seem to develop specific body types...Distance runners are skinny with long endurance muscles, sprinters have huge muscular legs for anaerobic speed, swimmers are usually skinny with huge shoulder-chest-back muscles, and gymnasts are like short muscle balls. There is some genetic predisposition to body type, but the body will continue to adapt to the training it receives.

If you want to look at body adaptations look at the difference between long distance runners who wear shoes and those that don't. You're only changing one thing. The movement pattern goes from a heel strike to a pointed toe foot plant. As you can imaging the shod pattern is far worse on the body. You've basically eliminated the function of the foot. Most people could't fathom running without shoes.

If you want to look at body adaptations look at the difference between long distance runners who wear shoes and those that don't. You're only changing one thing. The movement pattern goes from a heel strike to a pointed toe foot plant. As you can imaging the shod pattern is far worse on the body. You've basically eliminated the function of the foot. Most people could't fathom running without shoes.
    Didn't Abibi Bachila run a marathon with no shoes? He's the one that got in a car accident and the announcer said "Abibi Bachila....will run no more".

Didn't Abibi Bachila run a marathon with no shoes? He's the one that got in a car accident and the announcer said "Abibi Bachila....will run no more".
    The modern running shoe didn't show up until the 70's. Until then even shod runners used thin soled light weight shoes. Heel strikes would end your career if you did it in those shoes.

The modern running shoe didn't show up until the 70's. Until then even shod runners used thin soled light weight shoes. Heel strikes would end your career if you did it in those shoes.
    I read half of the book "Born to Run"...it kind of sparked this minimalist movement. I started running again for the first time in like 15 years and have been looking into the current running trends. Do you run Poe?

I read half of the book "Born to Run"...it kind of sparked this minimalist movement. I started running again for the first time in like 15 years and have been looking into the current running trends. Do you run Poe?
    Not in events and more for exercise. I run some of the trails here in portland with my dog but nothing like your talking about

I'm just interested functional movement. Some of those guys are talking about the modern running shoes as the cause for some of the ankle, back, etc. problems. There are new shoes out the are like toed slippers that people are running in. You just have to relearn how to run without heel strike. I might try it this summer once my back is all healed.

An osteopath is the right move, an osteopath has forgotten more about a back than a chiropractor will ever learn. A good osteopath can do great things. Also, cutting on a back is the VERY LAST resort. Good luck.

Not in events and more for exercise. I run some of the trails here in portland with my dog but nothing like your talking about

I'm just interested functional movement. Some of those guys are talking about the modern running shoes as the cause for some of the ankle, back, etc. problems. There are new shoes out the are like toed slippers that people are running in. You just have to relearn how to run without heel strike. I might try it this summer once my back is all healed.
    The only kind of running a person should do without a heal strike first is sprinting, any distance running without a heal strike first is really gonna hurt you. Portland, huh? Born and raised about 60 miles from there. Greatest runner ever was from Oregon, Steve Prefontaine.

Running shoes these days don't have as much heel cushion to them as they did back in the 70's when Bill Bowerman came out with his waffle shoes. Now those babies had some cushion/pillow to them!

Quote Originally Posted by edgey

Just a thought

Edgey
    Because I'd still hack my way around to an 85 regardless of the sticks in the bag.

Pings are obviously your (and FD's) thing but they ain't mystical.

Now where the f#ck am I?

LOL - Nice Zing OP but my problems started 20 years ago. The internet didn't even exist!

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by huskyhater
    An osteopath is the right move, an osteopath has forgotten more about a back than a chiropractor will ever learn. A good osteopath can do great things. Also, cutting on a back is the VERY LAST resort. Good luck.
    Thanks for this advice. I'm hoping my problems are not that serious and surgery is the last thing on my mind. I think just time off from golf, rest and recuperation will sort it out. The latest trick the physio is trying is kinesiology tape on my back.

Apparently our top sports teams use it all the time and Lance Armstrong swears by it. So I'm keeping an open mind and giving it a try. Hell, I'll put a fried egg on my back if I think it will help!

I'll persist with the physio in the short term but whether it works or not I will definitely be going to see the Osteopath too.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Hey, Kiwi, just out of curiosity, do you wake up every morning with a stiff back?

Hey, Kiwi, just out of curiosity, do you wake up every morning with a stiff back?
    Lately yes I have been but not normally.

Unless I've been shagging all night long of course but I've been married too long for that sort of shenanigans. Those kind of nights are just a distant memory nowadays.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Kiwi, I had a shoulder (hurt it playing football when I was younger) that would hurt so bad it would wake me up at night and make noises when I swung a club. I asked my doctor (regular MD) what I could do and he said 'quit doing what makes it hurt'. I quit golfing for 2 weeks and said to hell with that but also quit lifting weights for awhile (actually soloflex) and it did heal, but it took close to a year-now I don't have any problem with it. The older we get the longer it takes to heal-it took that shoulder about 30 years because I wouldn't let it heal. An osteopath really helped me with another football injury- lower back injury that hurt for a long time, and that hasn't bothered me for years. You'll get through this.

The only kind of running a person should do without a heal strike first is sprinting, any distance running without a heal strike first is really gonna hurt you. Portland, huh? Born and raised about 60 miles from there. Greatest runner ever was from Oregon, Steve Prefontaine.
    I'm not a runner so, whatever. My comments are more about functional movement. Heel striking causes breaking and you are absorbing energy through the heel up the leg. Running fore foot or mid foot requires you to be over your foot more at impact. It requires your to use your hamstrings and glutes more. This is beneficial to most of us office job arse sitters.

Which direction from Stumotown?

I'm not a runner so, whatever. My comments are more about functional movement. Heel striking causes breaking and you are absorbing energy through the heel up the leg. Running fore foot or mid foot requires you to be over your foot more at impact. It requires your to use your hamstrings and glutes more. This is beneficial to most of us office job arse sitters.

Which direction from Stumotown?
    Well I'm busted-I USED to be a runner (40 lbs ago), now I resemble more of an office guy. Now I walk, my doctor told me to forget about running-too many sprained ankles when I was younger. Towards the coast down HWY 30.

Lately yes I have been but not normally.

Unless I've been shagging all night long of course but I've been married too long for that sort of shenanigans. Those kind of nights are just a distant memory nowadays.
    I use to wake up EVERY morning with a stiff back until I fell asleep in the recliner one night. I woke up the next morning and there was no stiff back, So, I tried it again the next night, no stiff back. I have been sleeping in a recliner for 7 years now and each morning I wake up my back is fresh. Whenever I go somewhere to spend the night overnight and have to sleep in a bed, my back is stiff the next morning. There is something about the way the reclining position seems to satisfy the discs in my lower back. You might give it a try and see if it works for you.

Well I'm busted-I USED to be a runner (40 lbs ago), now I resemble more of an office guy. Now I walk, my doctor told me to forget about running-too many sprained ankles when I was younger. Towards the coast down HWY 30.
    If you ever want to get back into it mid foot or fore foot running is a lot easier on the ankles for obvious reasons.

The Oregon coast is too wet for me. It's taken quite the hit with logging being down.

If you ever want to get back into it mid foot or fore foot running is a lot easier on the ankles for obvious reasons.

The Oregon coast is too wet for me. It's taken quite the hit with logging being down.
    Thanks, I might just dis-obey my doctor and check those shoes out. There's nothing like getting a good sweat (sweating is good for you) going while running-its real hard to do that walking. I never was a logger but the town I grew up in had a lot of them.

I use to wake up EVERY morning with a stiff back until I fell asleep in the recliner one night. I woke up the next morning and there was no stiff back, So, I tried it again the next night, no stiff back. I have been sleeping in a recliner for 7 years now and each morning I wake up my back is fresh. Whenever I go somewhere to spend the night overnight and have to sleep in a bed, my back is stiff the next morning. There is something about the way the reclining position seems to satisfy the discs in my lower back. You might give it a try and see if it works for you.
    LOL - I do this all the time! Usually it's when I'm sitting up to watch the late game on Friday or Saturday night and it turns out to be a dull game. I usually have a half empty beer bottle in my right hand rested comfortably on my belly.

I'm not sure about the benefits to my back but it's worth a try I suppose. The only drawback is occasionally I drop and spill the beer.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Thread Information