|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Iomic Golf Grips

Anyone ever try these grips out? I just bought a midsize grip to put on my putter, so I will be trying them out soon, but they are sure expensive. I doubt that I will ever spend the $150-200 dollars it takes to regrip one set of clubs.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Anyone ever try these grips out? I just bought a midsize grip to put on my putter, so I will be trying them out soon, but they are sure expensive. I doubt that I will ever spend the $150-200 dollars it takes to regrip one set of clubs.
    It's an awesome feeling putter grip. However, the best putter grips I've tried are real leather and they are made by a company that John Daly endorses but I've forgotten their name. I think they charge around $24 for a leather putter grip. I had bought a used Odyssey black series putter and it came with that grip. It was very nice feeling due to the leather and I kind of felt like a cross between a golfer and a gun fighter.

I recently started doing my own grips. The only experimenting I'm doing is with putting extra wraps of masking tape under the right hand position. I did the entire new set of used irons I bought and with a couple of woods I messed with. The el cheapo Golf Pride Tours do it for me although the price at Golf Galaxy has gone up from $3 to the low $4 range. Guess its the oil prices. I did buy today one of those Wynn light weight (25 g.) for a driver I reshafted tonight. Gonna try it around 285 grams and see how she goes. Whap.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    I heard that they stay tacky longer than others, but at that price IMO not worth it... Grip for putter does not have to be changed that often... every 5 yrs is OK with me, no wear and tear... Grip for other clubs I change no more than once a yr, and only the one(s) that needed.. Once in a while Golf Galaxy has great grips on sales and I buy what I like and save them when the time comes... I don't normally buy things when I need them, always before I need them... Yes, I am cheap, cheap cheap

It's the putter grip to get. Expensive but economical considering how long it retains its tackiness and how well it responds to sandings. Even playing frequently it lasts for years with proper care. Second is the Golf Pride putter grip.
    GR lives...

Love it for the putter. Once every 5 years? Holy crap I could never go that long. I change my grips on irons and woods twice a year. Putter gets a new one every year. I absolutely hate the feel of an old grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz1975
    Love it for the putter. Once every 5 years? Holy crap I could never go that long. I change my grips on irons and woods twice a year. Putter gets a new one every year. I absolutely hate the feel of an old grip.
    I change my grips twice a year as well on irons and woods, but my YES putter grip has been good for the 6 years I have had it. I have recently noticed it starting to get a little worn slick. I haven't used it constantly over the 6 years I have had it though as I also used a couple of other putters for some time, too.

I'm looking forward to trying out the Iomic putter grip. I got a midsize "Oklahoma Sooner" red grip for 16.95 with free shipping. Should be here next week some time.

Have one on my putter and used to have them on all my irons... Nice grips, good performance... Just really expensive...

If you get em for free I say go for it... Currently playing the bct tour velvet cord grips and they are by far the best grips I've ever had for my irons...

Hi

I have Iomic grips on both my Odyssey Black and Ping Anser.

Expensive but fantastic feeling. I will probably get a set for my K15 irons when they need doing.

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

It's an interesting thing that a lot of you American golfers change your grips twice a year or so. It must be a golfing culture thing over there. In Aussieland most players, even good ones would be lucky to change their grips every 2 years.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    It's an interesting thing that a lot of you American golfers change your grips twice a year or so. It must be a golfing culture thing over there. In Aussieland most players, even good ones would be lucky to change their grips every 2 years.
    Especially as most of the Americans on this board only play for about 9 months of the year at best. I'd change my grips every 2-3 years or so. Whe I was younger and plaing and practicing more often I wold change them every 1-2 years, but I'm a once or twice a week golfer these days and I think grips last me at least 2 years. I do wash them once a month or so, maybe some guys change theirgrips too early when a simple clean would do the job.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

OP... maybe because we could buy cheap grips here in USA when on sales at end of season.... Last month I bought 15 high-end Goft Pride grips for $1.50 each... can't beat that. I change my irons' grip only when needed (maybe every 2 yrs)... I should change driver's grip every yr but I don't, still go for 2 yr period. I've used Golf Pride multicoumpound decade (or something like that) for drivers, they last long but I feel that they are a touch on the hard side for me, I will go for something a touch softer and still tacky next time

I think its part cultural and part environmental. Many golfers have the wrong sized grips and poor grips to begin with and squeeze the life out of the poor rubber tubes causing them to wear at the pressure points. Many also do not realize that they need to keep the grips clean and wipe them down with water and maybe soap after each session. Rubber grips are particularly susceptible to the effects of sulphur-based air pollutants that eat into the rubber. I remember when I was a young teen spending summers in LA and environs in the early 1960's that the air was so bad that those cheap rubber thong sandals you could buy for less than a buck would almost wear through to the soles in about a week. My older cousin who was a chem major at Caltech explained the chemical reaction to me.

For me, I'm a meticulous person about maintaining my equipment. They get wiped down after every round. I wipe the clubheads after every shot with a wet towel. Also, because I live in Arizona, I can play for 12 months a year.

And it's a personal thing. Once they start to get firm or slick in any way, they're gone. I love the feel of a fresh, tacky grip. I don't squeeze the life out of them, it's solely a personal preference. The cost isn't anything significant, and I can do them myself. I am also one of those people who doesn't ever wear a glove, so feel is my number one criteria in regards to grips.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel
    I think its part cultural and part environmental. Many golfers have the wrong sized grips and poor grips to begin with and squeeze the life out of the poor rubber tubes causing them to wear at the pressure points. Many also do not realize that they need to keep the grips clean and wipe them down with water and maybe soap after each session. Rubber grips are particularly susceptible to the effects of sulphur-based air pollutants that eat into the rubber. I remember when I was a young teen spending summers in LA and environs in the early 1960's that the air was so bad that those cheap rubber thong sandals you could buy for less than a buck would almost wear through to the soles in about a week. My older cousin who was a chem major at Caltech explained the chemical reaction to me.
    I disagree about grip pressure being a bad thing, but that's a convo for another time... But yes I change my grips often probably about once every two months at the max And often times more frequently than that... I get flat spots on my grips that make it annoying most of the time they still have plenty of tack, just are flat in certain areas...

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz1975
    For me, I'm a meticulous person about maintaining my equipment. They get wiped down after every round. I wipe the clubheads after every shot with a wet towel. Also, because I live in Arizona, I can play for 12 months a year.

And it's a personal thing. Once they start to get firm or slick in any way, they're gone. I love the feel of a fresh, tacky grip. I don't squeeze the life out of them, it's solely a personal preference. The cost isn't anything significant, and I can do them myself. I am also one of those people who doesn't ever wear a glove, so feel is my number one criteria in regards to grips.
    This describes me to a tee as well. I play every day and I can't stand it whenever my grips start getting that "hard or worn" feel. I clean my grips at least once a week, but they are only tacky for one outing and that after only a few shots. I don't spend a great deal of money on grips and I can put them on myself. So, getting 6 months out of a set of grips works out great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    Hi

I have Iomic grips on both my Odyssey Black and Ping Anser.

Expensive but fantastic feeling. I will probably get a set for my K15 irons when they need doing.

Edgey
    I have had a large Iomic putter grip delivered today and will be getting it fitted tomorrow to my Taylormade 880 Tour Maranello Ghost. It was £13 which I guess is just over $20. I think that is just above reasonable but if it is nice feeling I won't care!

Against all advice I also recently bought a SC putter and I love it. Although I called a favour in and got it for £100 ($160). However, I hate the grip on it. It is too soft and slimey. My concern is if I change the grip does it affect the value??

Quote Originally Posted by Pottsy
    I have had a large Iomic putter grip delivered today and will be getting it fitted tomorrow to my Taylormade 880 Tour Maranello Ghost. It was £13 which I guess is just over $20. I think that is just above reasonable but if it is nice feeling I won't care!

Against all advice I also recently bought a SC putter and I love it. Although I called a favour in and got it for £100 ($160). However, I hate the grip on it. It is too soft and slimey. My concern is if I change the grip does it affect the value??
    Unless it's some sort of limited edition grip, or you intend to collect instead of use the putter, no problem replacing it. If for whatever reason you want to replace the original version of the grip, they're available, again, unless limited edition.

Fact is, they're s.hitty grips. I suspect their purpose is to wear out quickly so anals will be compelled to buy a Cameron replacement grip. Most guys I know that have one of these ridiculously overpriced putters replace the grips with either an Iomic or Golf Pride.

By the way, the Golf Pride may come in ugly colors and not look as sexy, but they feel about as good and can be brought back a number of times with sandings.
    GR lives...

Hi

This is my Iomic (just to prove i am an honest type of guy)

It is fitted to my Odyssey Black i #1

Edgey
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo iomic.JPG 
Views:	351 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	2645  
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Hi

Edgey
    I'm taken aback your white grip is so gosh darn clean, Edgey. Unless it's brand new you must wash your hands after every hole. If I had white grips they'd show tomato and grease stains after a couple of rounds.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I'm taken aback your white grip is so gosh darn clean, Edgey. Unless it's brand new you must wash your hands after every hole. If I had white grips they'd show tomato and grease stains after a couple of rounds.
    LOL

I just washed it before taking the pic.

My wife offered to model it topless but i know that NSFW is not allowed around here

Edgey

LOL

I just washed it before taking the pic.

My wife offered to model it topless but i know that NSFW is not allowed around here

Edgey
    Anything goes in the Non-Golf Forum. Do you need me to start a thread?
    GR lives...

Anything goes in the Non-Golf Forum. Do you need me to start a thread?
    She doesnt want to be responsible for the reaction so your probably OK lol

Edgey

Hi

Edgey
    Edgey, you have an iron shaft in your putter? Does that read Rifle 6.5? This is most intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    Edgey, you have an iron shaft in your putter? Does that read Rifle 6.5? This is most intriguing.
    That is correct FD

Its a Rifle 6.5 out of an old 2 iron tipped to the max and installed to 35". Increased the weight to a perfect level for me. Putter lie move 3 degrees more upright. Now the ideal putter

Edgey

Unless it's some sort of limited edition grip, or you intend to collect instead of use the putter, no problem replacing it. If for whatever reason you want to replace the original version of the grip, they're available, again, unless limited edition.

Fact is, they're s.hitty grips. I suspect their purpose is to wear out quickly so anals will be compelled to buy a Cameron replacement grip. Most guys I know that have one of these ridiculously overpriced putters replace the grips with either an Iomic or Golf Pride.

By the way, the Golf Pride may come in ugly colors and not look as sexy, but they feel about as good and can be brought back a number of times with sandings.
    As well as being poor quality, Scotty grips are also way too thin for mine. They seem to be more suited to someone with little girly hands, not a real man like my good self.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Thread Information