|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Results 1 to 52 of 52

Thread: 3 Wood

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Lost Farm
    Posts
    657
    Rep Power
    14

    3 Wood

    Guys, searching for a 3 wood to use of the tee. Want one with a tall face, not one of the shallow face models that most 3 woods seem to be these days. Not really going to use it off the fairway as my course doesn't really require it. Currently using a mate's cobra ld f speed which has the face height i'm looking for, just sounds a bit weird to me. Also prefer to have a square face setup. Any suggestions??
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    ChiselCreek
    Posts
    3,990
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by rooboy
    Guys, searching for a 3 wood to use of the tee. Want one with a tall face, not one of the shallow face models that most 3 woods seem to be these days. Not really going to use it off the fairway as my course doesn't really require it. Currently using a mate's cobra ld f speed which has the face height i'm looking for, just sounds a bit weird to me. Also prefer to have a square face setup. Any suggestions??
    Callay GBB II 3W... the best, even with OEM system 60 shaft... should be less expensive on eBay

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Lost Farm
    Posts
    657
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    Callay GBB II 3W... the best, even with OEM system 60 shaft... should be less expensive on eBay
    Whats the set up like on these? Hadn't really considered Cally as all their new stuff looks very closed to me. Not familiar with the older stuff....
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Burnham and Berrow
    Posts
    3,659
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Please re read the opening post. He didn't mention anything about wanting a sex change.
    Gotcha, he might become a limp wristed, choker. I suppose if that happened (and only if the worst comes to the worst) he could play cricket for the Kiwi's

    Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Burnham and Berrow
    Posts
    3,659
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by rooboy
    Whats the set up like on these? Hadn't really considered Cally as all their new stuff looks very closed to me. Not familiar with the older stuff....
    If its only for use off the tee why not build a Thriver?

    Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    ChiselCreek
    Posts
    3,990
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by rooboy
    Whats the set up like on these? Hadn't really considered Cally as all their new stuff looks very closed to me. Not familiar with the older stuff....
    GBB II 3W is an old stuff , very good looking club and an excellent club for my swing. I also have the TEE CB1 with Aldila NV which I also like a lot (DO NOT buy CB1 with Fuji shaft, just a bad shaft for that head, very low trajectory)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    If its only for use off the tee why not build a Thriver?

    Edgey
    Please re read the opening post. He didn't mention anything about wanting a sex change.
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    Gotcha, he might become a limp wristed, choker. I suppose if that happened (and only if the worst comes to the worst) he could play cricket for the Kiwi's

    Edgey
    We won last time out against the Saffa's last time I checked. Better than the Aussies who are GONE! How are your lads doing against Sri Lanka?
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Posts
    1,722
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by rooboy
    Guys, searching for a 3 wood to use of the tee. Want one with a tall face, not one of the shallow face models that most 3 woods seem to be these days. Not really going to use it off the fairway as my course doesn't really require it. Currently using a mate's cobra ld f speed which has the face height i'm looking for, just sounds a bit weird to me. Also prefer to have a square face setup. Any suggestions??
    Taylormade V steel is one of the best. Off a tee. I use a r7 cgb max 3 wood. The only way I use it on the tee, is without a tee. I love that club off the deck. My mates freak when I hit the ground a couple times and drop a ball, no tee. I built a thriver. What a faggot club, I couldnt carry it. It currently resides in the closet.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Burnham and Berrow
    Posts
    3,659
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich
    Taylormade V steel is one of the best. Off a tee. I use a r7 cgb max 3 wood. The only way I use it on the tee, is without a tee. I love that club off the deck. My mates freak when I hit the ground a couple times and drop a ball, no tee. I built a thriver. What a faggot club, I couldnt carry it. It currently resides in the closet.
    As does its owner i guess

    Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Burnham and Berrow
    Posts
    3,659
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    +1, . . . . . . cock breath.
    Thanks, knob jockey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,189
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    If its only for use off the tee why not build a Thriver?

    Edgey

    +1, . . . . . . cock breath.

    Edgey, I have very recently had to put the thriver back in my bag because our course manager has decided it is funny to place the tees where we have to hit our drives over trees to have a legitimate chance at scoring. The thriver fits the bill very well.
    Last edited by SoonerBS; 03-26-2011 at 08:26 AM.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    barnbougle dunes
    Posts
    3,496
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich
    Taylormade V steel is one of the best. Off a tee. I use a r7 cgb max 3 wood. The only way I use it on the tee, is without a tee. I love that club off the deck. My mates freak when I hit the ground a couple times and drop a ball, no tee. I built a thriver. What a faggot club, I couldnt carry it. It currently resides in the closet.
    I second the V-steel although it is equally dood off the deck. The face is a compromise though, not shallow but not tall. The head size is on the smaller size, although i find it perfect. They have stood the test of time as they are still popular roughly ten years after they first came out. I bought a 5 wood and was so impressed i recently got hold of a three wood as well. They are both currently in the bag. They 3 wood may replace my beloved Sonartec, it is certainly putting up a good show so far. I love the stock shaft in these. It just seems to suit me. I specifically got the stiff flex because I reckon they play a little softer. Feels and performs more like a reg and is very smooth with excellent distance.

    BTW whats with the posts being all jumbled up today. Makes it hard to read a thread.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Posts
    1,722
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    As does its owner i guess

    Edgey
    I just dont struggle enough off the tee to need one. Doesnt choking down the grip a couple of inches accomplish the same thing? If junior model drivers are your thing, more power to you.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,189
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich
    I just dont struggle enough off the tee to need one. Doesnt choking down the grip a couple of inches accomplish the same thing? If junior model drivers are your thing, more power to you.
    No.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Lost Farm
    Posts
    657
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    I second the V-steel although it is equally dood off the deck. The face is a compromise though, not shallow but not tall. The head size is on the smaller size, although i find it perfect. They have stood the test of time as they are still popular roughly ten years after they first came out. I bought a 5 wood and was so impressed i recently got hold of a three wood as well. They are both currently in the bag. They 3 wood may replace my beloved Sonartec, it is certainly putting up a good show so far. I love the stock shaft in these. It just seems to suit me. I specifically got the stiff flex because I reckon they play a little softer. Feels and performs more like a reg and is very smooth with excellent distance.

    BTW whats with the posts being all jumbled up today. Makes it hard to read a thread.
    Not worried about a small head Op, really just looking for something with a taller face. I have a 17* hybrid that i hit ok but it has a stiff shaft which doesn't suit me, i tend to push it right. I also have a macgregor nvg2 draw 3 wood which has a shallow face and it either goes left or i pop it up too often for my liking. The cobra 3 wood i'm using is a great club it just sounds weird.
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    barnbougle dunes
    Posts
    3,496
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Now that NZ is the last surviving cricket team at the World Cup with some semblance of white English heritage perhaps you guys should support the Kiwis as we heroically stand alone against the might of the nations of the Indian Subcontinent?
    Sounds fair enough to me. You've got my vote. Didn't see the last game so are they playing well or did they have it handed to them? Are they any real chance for the tournament?
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    barnbougle dunes
    Posts
    3,496
    Rep Power
    15
    whats with the f ucked up order of the posts???
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,981
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    Gotcha, he might become a limp wristed, choker. I suppose if that happened (and only if the worst comes to the worst) he could play cricket for the Kiwi's

    Edgey
    Edgey,

    Australia and England are out of the World Cup, Kiwi's team is still alive. We might need to find a better example of New Zealand ineptitude. We can still talk Rugby World Cups for the time being.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Edgey,

    Australia and England are out of the World Cup, Kiwi's team is still alive. We might need to find a better example of New Zealand ineptitude. We can still talk Rugby World Cups for the time being.
    Now that NZ is the last surviving cricket team at the World Cup with some semblance of white English heritage perhaps you guys should support the Kiwis as we heroically stand alone against the might of the nations of the Indian Subcontinent?
    Last edited by Kiwi Player; 03-26-2011 at 05:30 PM.
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Sounds fair enough to me. You've got my vote. Didn't see the last game so are they playing well or did they have it handed to them? Are they any real chance for the tournament?
    They played pretty well to beat the Saffas but Sri Lanka are a different story. I'd say they have as much a chance of winning the tournament as qtong has of winning a GR winner takes all strokeplay tournament featuring all of GR's strongest golfers.
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,981
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Now that NZ is the last surviving cricket team at the World Cup with some semblance of white English heritage perhaps you guys should support the Kiwis as we heroically stand alone against the might of the nations of the Indian Subcontinent?
    I'm definitely behind the black caps. Just like in war, Aussies get behind the Kiwis against any enemy bar ourselves.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,981
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Sounds fair enough to me. You've got my vote. Didn't see the last game so are they playing well or did they have it handed to them? Are they any real chance for the tournament?
    Didn't see the game, but it sounded like South Africa did their customary choke job on the big stage. They are notorious fro it in cricket.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,981
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by rooboy
    Guys, searching for a 3 wood to use of the tee. Want one with a tall face, not one of the shallow face models that most 3 woods seem to be these days. Not really going to use it off the fairway as my course doesn't really require it. Currently using a mate's cobra ld f speed which has the face height i'm looking for, just sounds a bit weird to me. Also prefer to have a square face setup. Any suggestions??
    Now listen up, cause I'm going to give a serious suggestion here. I have a good 3 wood which I am very comfortable with, but I would only use it frm the tee if I was on really long par 3 or a dogleg par 4 where a driver would run out of room. IMO, the driver is a much more consistent club from the tee than the 3 wood. If this isn't the case I would suggest you look at buying a new driver, not 3 wood. If you get a properly fitted driver, it should be one of the easiest clubs in the bag to find the fairways with. IMO you should be looking for a 3 wood which is easier to hit from the fairway, and there is no doubt the shallower heads are better for that.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    I stand ashamed of our inept bunch of losers and will support that last bastion of Anglo Saxon cricket, New Zealand.

    COME ON YOU KIWI'S!!!

    Edgey
    Really appreciate the support Edgey, NAH, Oldplayer. Just this once we stand UNITED!

    Not sure it will be enough though.
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Burnham and Berrow
    Posts
    3,659
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Now that NZ is the last surviving cricket team at the World Cup with some semblance of white English heritage perhaps you guys should support the Kiwis as we heroically stand alone against the might of the nations of the Indian Subcontinent?
    I stand ashamed of our inept bunch of losers and will support that last bastion of Anglo Saxon cricket, New Zealand.

    COME ON YOU KIWI'S!!!

    Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,981
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    I stand ashamed of our inept bunch of losers and will support that last bastion of Anglo Saxon cricket, New Zealand.

    COME ON YOU KIWI'S!!!

    Edgey
    It is worrying that the last great anglo hope are the Kiwis, but I'll still hold out hope. Honestly I don't like our chances, these pitches have been doctored to suit the sub continent teams and their army of slow bowlers and wristy batsmen. I don't thik there has ever been a World Cup with all 3 sub continent teams in the semis.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    barnbougle dunes
    Posts
    3,496
    Rep Power
    15
    You're right about the doctored pitches. It's what you would expect though. Even decent pace bowlers don't have a chance on those tracks. Even a short ball won't bounce.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    loch lomond
    Posts
    82
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Now listen up, cause I'm going to give a serious suggestion here. I have a good 3 wood which I am very comfortable with, but I would only use it frm the tee if I was on really long par 3 or a dogleg par 4 where a driver would run out of room. IMO, the driver is a much more consistent club from the tee than the 3 wood. If this isn't the case I would suggest you look at buying a new driver, not 3 wood. If you get a properly fitted driver, it should be one of the easiest clubs in the bag to find the fairways with. IMO you should be looking for a 3 wood which is easier to hit from the fairway, and there is no doubt the shallower heads are better for that.

    Do you play course that have 300yard par 3's? Or are you a girl?

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,981
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by upanddownfromaballwasher
    Do you play course that have 300yard par 3's? Or are you a girl?
    I'm talking 210 metre par 3s that are into the wind. But I get your attempt at humour.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Posts
    1,722
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    I second the V-steel although it is equally dood off the deck. The face is a compromise though, not shallow but not tall. The head size is on the smaller size, although i find it perfect. They have stood the test of time as they are still popular roughly ten years after they first came out. I bought a 5 wood and was so impressed i recently got hold of a three wood as well. They are both currently in the bag. They 3 wood may replace my beloved Sonartec, it is certainly putting up a good show so far. I love the stock shaft in these. It just seems to suit me. I specifically got the stiff flex because I reckon they play a little softer. Feels and performs more like a reg and is very smooth with excellent distance.

    BTW whats with the posts being all jumbled up today. Makes it hard to read a thread.
    I was pretty amazed how far the v steel would go, when hit on the screws. I went through about a dozen 3 woods before settling on the current, very beatup now cgb max. I was playing with some College kids a few years back, and was amazed how far they could hit there v steels, with I think a mas 2 shaft. So I bought one, and it stayed in the bag longer then the rest. But off the deck the cgb is in a league of its own. The closest I found was the r9 I demoed last season.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

  32. #32
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    ChiselCreek
    Posts
    3,990
    Rep Power
    17
    It was 40F in Delaware so I went out for a practice round, hooked with an old guy who does not have a driver, he T'ed off with his old , original Callay BB Warbird 3 or 5 W and he still hit a ton... All in our heads and what we believe in
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by upanddownfromaballwasher
    Do you play course that have 300yard par 3's? Or are you a girl?
    On the course NAH plays 300 yards would be considered a long par 4.
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,934
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    On the course NAH plays 300 yards would be considered a long par 4.
    Or a par 5.
    GR lives...

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,981
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Or a par 5.
    We have only 1 par 5 that comes in at about 500 or so yards (uphill), so it's easily reachable. We also have a few par 4s under 330 yards which can be reached with driver. I think there are a couple of par 4s under 300 yards. It's an easy track, but I'm on a budget so it's the only course I can afford to be a member of. And I can tell you that there is something to be said for the confidence driving par 4s, shooting low scores to par, and making heaps of birdies can do for your game. Even though you know that they are Claytons par 4s and the course is 3 or 4 shots easier than the card, the very reaql possibility of shooting even par or better is still exciting (I've already shot under par on each 9 so an 18 hole under par is possible). Since being a member there I have improved my scores at tougher tracks, purely from the confidence I get from playing an easy course and a course where I can hit driver again. My last shitty clostraphobic goat track wasn't doing my game any good at all, all it did was teach me to steer the ball. Now I'm opening the shoulders again and my driving is as good as it's been in years.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mt' Kidd, Kananaskis - Can't beat the mountain setting.
    Posts
    606
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    We have only 1 par 5 that comes in at about 500 or so yards (uphill), so it's easily reachable. We also have a few par 4s under 330 yards which can be reached with driver. I think there are a couple of par 4s under 300 yards. It's an easy track, but I'm on a budget so it's the only course I can afford to be a member of. And I can tell you that there is something to be said for the confidence driving par 4s, shooting low scores to par, and making heaps of birdies can do for your game. Even though you know that they are Claytons par 4s and the course is 3 or 4 shots easier than the card, the very reaql possibility of shooting even par or better is still exciting (I've already shot under par on each 9 so an 18 hole under par is possible). Since being a member there I have improved my scores at tougher tracks, purely from the confidence I get from playing an easy course and a course where I can hit driver again. My last shitty clostraphobic goat track wasn't doing my game any good at all, all it did was teach me to steer the ball.
    I get a municipal pass every season. We can only play from late April to mid october at the lastest.

    It's $1700 and gets me access to four courses. The one I play at is pretty good. 6800 from the tips, challenging but they don't iron/roll the greens as often as they should.

    All the other semi private or private courses around here demand $40,000 share stake plus green fees of $3500+ a season. Out of my budget.

    I had a young little hot sales rep come into the office last year, we got to talking about golf and she asked where I play. She went on to say "Oh, that's a good place to practice." As we keep talking I find out she's at a private club but doing a little questioning find out daddy pays for her membership. Fuking B*tch.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverologist
    I get a municipal pass every season. We can only play from late April to mid october at the lastest.

    It's $1700 and gets me access to four courses. The one I play at is pretty good. 6800 from the tips, challenging but they don't iron/roll the greens as often as they should.

    All the other semi private or private courses around here demand $40,000 share stake plus green fees of $3500+ a season. Out of my budget.

    I had a young little hot sales rep come into the office last year, we got to talking about golf and she asked where I play. She went on to say "Oh, that's a good place to practice." As we keep talking I find out she's at a private club but doing a little questioning find out daddy pays for her membership. Fuking B*tch.
    Dude that's wouldn't be considered a budget price in NZ/OZ. $1700 would get you a years membership at a pretty decent track and one you can play from early January to late December (31st December at the latest).

    Just another reminder how lucky we are down under.
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    barnbougle dunes
    Posts
    3,496
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Dude that's wouldn't be considered a budget price in NZ/OZ. $1700 would get you a years membership at a pretty decent track and one you can play from early January to late December (31st December at the latest).

    Just another reminder how lucky we are down under.
    We sure are. If I was a yank I would be forced to play at a goat track like NAH. And if I was Japanese I couldn't play golf at all. Dosen't bear thinking about.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Lost Farm
    Posts
    657
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Now listen up, cause I'm going to give a serious suggestion here. I have a good 3 wood which I am very comfortable with, but I would only use it frm the tee if I was on really long par 3 or a dogleg par 4 where a driver would run out of room. IMO, the driver is a much more consistent club from the tee than the 3 wood. If this isn't the case I would suggest you look at buying a new driver, not 3 wood. If you get a properly fitted driver, it should be one of the easiest clubs in the bag to find the fairways with. IMO you should be looking for a 3 wood which is easier to hit from the fairway, and there is no doubt the shallower heads are better for that.
    NAH, the reason i was looking for a 3 wood is just as you have mentioned. There are 3 par 4's on my course where you can run out of fairway due to doglegs or shortish holes with OB 3 metres off the back of the green.. One of our par 3 is 190mtrs from the back tee. The 3 par 5's are not really that long that you need a 3 wood off the deck. On our 16th hole i often hit my driver through the fairway as i don't draw it very often i hit it mainly left to right or straight. Took my 17*hybrid out again today and realised i hit it just as far as the 3 wood and managed a little draw with it, so the 3 wood is out and the hybrid is back in.
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,981
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Dude that's wouldn't be considered a budget price in NZ/OZ. $1700 would get you a years membership at a pretty decent track and one you can play from early January to late December (31st December at the latest).

    Just another reminder how lucky we are down under.
    Even in Sydney $1700 would get you membership on a very decent course anywhere outside the Eastern Suburbs. Outside of Sydney you would get change for the very best private courses in the state. We are very lucky, and prices are actually getting lower as members are leaving the game in droves.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pacific Dunes, Bandon, OR
    Posts
    5,472
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by rooboy
    NAH, the reason i was looking for a 3 wood is just as you have mentioned. There are 3 par 4's on my course where you can run out of fairway due to doglegs or shortish holes with OB 3 metres off the back of the green.. One of our par 3 is 190mtrs from the back tee. The 3 par 5's are not really that long that you need a 3 wood off the deck. On our 16th hole i often hit my driver through the fairway as i don't draw it very often i hit it mainly left to right or straight. Took my 17*hybrid out again today and realised i hit it just as far as the 3 wood and managed a little draw with it, so the 3 wood is out and the hybrid is back in.
    I was going to suggest a hybrid. I'm not sure the face is any taller but they are easy to hit off the tee and easy to hit from the rough or fairway.

  42. #42
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    ChiselCreek
    Posts
    3,990
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    We sure are. If I was a yank I would be forced to play at a goat track like NAH. And if I was Japanese I couldn't play golf at all. Dosen't bear thinking about.
    OP... if you were Japanese then you would fly to Hawaii and play... cheaper than in Japan

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pacific Dunes, Bandon, OR
    Posts
    5,472
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    OP... if you were Japanese then you would fly to Hawaii and play... cheaper than in Japan
    Pretty hard to drop in for a quick 9 after work.

  44. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Even in Sydney $1700 would get you membership on a very decent course anywhere outside the Eastern Suburbs. Outside of Sydney you would get change for the very best private courses in the state. We are very lucky, and prices are actually getting lower as members are leaving the game in droves.
    I pay under $1000 for full membership which gives me full access to two 18 hole courses.

    In rural areas you can get full memberships at country clubs for $300-$500.

    In the Cities you would probably still get change out of $1700 at all but the most exclusive clubs.
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  45. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pacific Dunes, Bandon, OR
    Posts
    5,472
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    I pay under $1000 for full membership which gives me full access to two 18 hole courses.

    In rural areas you can get full memberships at country clubs for $300-$500.

    In the Cities you would probably still get change out of $1700 at all but the most exclusive clubs.
    The worst part about the high fees here in the states is that it is an equation for a bunch of rich snobs playing golf at a snooty Country Clubs. I have a couple in my area that I've considered but when I visited I got the air of people being self important. I just want to play good golf with people who enjoy the game and not walk around *****ing about the clubs food, service, shape of greens, etc. It sounds like your clubs would be more along the lines of what I would enjoy.

  46. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    The worst part about the high fees here in the states is that it is an equation for a bunch of rich snobs playing golf at a snooty Country Clubs. I have a couple in my area that I've considered but when I visited I got the air of people being self important. I just want to play good golf with people who enjoy the game and not walk around *****ing about the clubs food, service, shape of greens, etc. It sounds like your clubs would be more along the lines of what I would enjoy.
    When I was in Auckland the closest course to home was exactly as you describe. A bunch of rich snooty snobs totally stuck up themselves. I played it a few times and was not made welcome at all. I wasn't especially impressed with the track itself either.

    So I joined another club 15 minutes up the road where the subs were about 25% lower and the members were a really friendly sociable bunch.
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  47. #47
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    ChiselCreek
    Posts
    3,990
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    I was going to suggest a hybrid. I'm not sure the face is any taller but they are easy to hit off the tee and easy to hit from the rough or fairway.
    Yesterday I played at White Clay Creek and my colleague from Taiwan can hit 190 yds with his 4H, he used to hate this club now he loves it.

    BTW... If you guys are up in this area then should try this course out... beautiful practicing facility, it's in a race track so it's catering for high/low roller

    http://whiteclaycreek.com/HTML/index.html

  48. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,934
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    The worst part about the high fees here in the states is that it is an equation for a bunch of rich snobs playing golf at a snooty Country Clubs. I have a couple in my area that I've considered but when I visited I got the air of people being self important. I just want to play good golf with people who enjoy the game and not walk around *****ing about the clubs food, service, shape of greens, etc. It sounds like your clubs would be more along the lines of what I would enjoy.
    Well I say, just how long should a fellow have to wait for his slightly too well done filet after trudging around for hours on greens showing less than perfect husbandry? If they would properly train these illiterate, graceless illegal immigrant chaps upon entry into the country, I dare say things at my club might show some much needed improvement.
    GR lives...

  49. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    The worst part about the high fees here in the states is that it is an equation for a bunch of rich snobs playing golf at a snooty Country Clubs. I have a couple in my area that I've considered but when I visited I got the air of people being self important. I just want to play good golf with people who enjoy the game and not walk around *****ing about the clubs food, service, shape of greens, etc. It sounds like your clubs would be more along the lines of what I would enjoy.
    I think golf is going to have to change to stay commercially viable. The ultra snobby clubs will always have their place amongst the status symbol types but most average sized towns can only support one of those. In my hometown, we have one ultra snobby CC that a working class schmuck like myself could never afford, another wannabe ultra snobby course that just filed for bankruptcy rather than become semi private. The semi private courses and public goat tracks seem to do pretty good business around here but there's only room for one snob club.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

  50. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    I think golf is going to have to change to stay commercially viable. The ultra snobby clubs will always have their place amongst the status symbol types but most average sized towns can only support one of those. In my hometown, we have one ultra snobby CC that a working class schmuck like myself could never afford, another wannabe ultra snobby course that just filed for bankruptcy rather than become semi private. The semi private courses and public goat tracks seem to do pretty good business around here but there's only room for one snob club.
    I think the snobby clubs need to expand the membership benefits and include things such as horse dressage, bocce ball and day care for families with victims of alzheimers. I mean, really, who wants to watch grandpa stare at the fishtank when you could be out playing golf? Ecology right?

  51. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,981
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    The worst part about the high fees here in the states is that it is an equation for a bunch of rich snobs playing golf at a snooty Country Clubs. I have a couple in my area that I've considered but when I visited I got the air of people being self important. I just want to play good golf with people who enjoy the game and not walk around *****ing about the clubs food, service, shape of greens, etc. It sounds like your clubs would be more along the lines of what I would enjoy.
    I think you'd love golf in Oz. In a city as big as Sydney theren is plenty of money so there are the ultra expensive snobatoriums, but by and large golf is enjoyed by good social knockabout blokes who are friendly and welcoming to new members. Golf is an individual, non contact sport, which leaves plenty of time between shots for socialising. Luckily, most of the places In play have members who treat golf as such adn the company is usually enjoyable regardless of how bad the golf is.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

  52. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Posts
    1,722
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    I think golf is going to have to change to stay commercially viable. The ultra snobby clubs will always have their place amongst the status symbol types but most average sized towns can only support one of those. In my hometown, we have one ultra snobby CC that a working class schmuck like myself could never afford, another wannabe ultra snobby course that just filed for bankruptcy rather than become semi private. The semi private courses and public goat tracks seem to do pretty good business around here but there's only room for one snob club.
    The Snobby club 10 minutes down the road is open to mere mortals on Mondays 20 bones. I burn it up on occasional weekends for $35 I,m finding there a little hungry
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Nike CPR wood/iron-wood, differece?
    By atxGUnit in forum Golf Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-16-2005, 09:09 AM
  2. Any of y'all use a 7 wood or 9 wood?
    By Southpawd in forum Golf Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-05-2005, 08:49 AM
  3. lofted woods: 23* 5-wood & 27.5* 7-wood
    By ironman in forum Golf Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-11-2005, 08:00 AM
  4. TM 580Ti 3 wood or Cobra SZ 3 wood?
    By Des Parsons in forum Golf Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2005, 10:06 AM
  5. Compare Callaway BB2004 3 Wood and Mizuno MP001 3 Wood
    By midnight in forum Golf Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-10-2005, 09:00 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •