|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

For you GFF fans!!

I know how much you guys love your grain flow forged so have a deeks at these babies!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MIZUNO-MP-100t...item35ac487579

I wouldn't use them as nobody should really use blades unless super talented (another argument for another time) but they are pretty.

There was a guy near me who had a brand new, un-hit set of those in a fancy wood with glass door display case and all the paperwork provenance asking $700 USD on the local Craigslist a month or two ago. Guess that was a real good deal based on your Ebay listing.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel
    There was a guy near me who had a brand new, un-hit set of those in a fancy wood with glass door display case and all the paperwork provenance asking $700 USD on the local Craigslist a month or two ago. Guess that was a real good deal based on your Ebay listing.
    Yes would seem to be considering these are rated 7.5/10 and are going at circa $950.

Mind you the guy could just be getting really greedy???

Only BS Sooner could play these irons... Beautiful iron though

It makes no sense why people bag those. They're not meant to be gamed, just put on display. I mean you can as that guy did and many others, but it wasn't the point of the release.

Also, blades aren't that tough to hit man it just depends on if your swing's repeatable enough and they fit you. If you demo a set of X22's and they fit you, do it. A set of the new Cally Razr X blades and you can hit em flush consistently? Bag em. But just remember we'll be making fun of you if you bag any Cally irons lol
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    It makes no sense why people bag those. They're not meant to be gamed, just put on display. I mean you can as that guy did and many others, but it wasn't the point of the release.

Also, blades aren't that tough to hit man it just depends on if your swing's repeatable enough and they fit you. If you demo a set of X22's and they fit you, do it. A set of the new Cally Razr X blades and you can hit em flush consistently? Bag em. But just remember we'll be making fun of you if you bag any Cally irons lol
    Look, it's very simple. Any real man that plays golf plays blades.

If you can't hit blades, play from the ladies tees as advancing the ball 100 yards sideways with the driver is your go-to shot, and there are people waiting behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Look, it's very simple. Any real man that plays golf plays blades.

If you can't hit blades, play from the ladies tees as advancing the ball 100 yards sideways with the driver is your go-to shot, and there are people waiting behind you.
    Thank you for explaining this in a very accurate way, Lo. Saved me the time.

Mward, anyone can play blades, it is just the GI OEMs have brain-washed the general masses in believing they cannot. I was golfing in the mid to lower 90s whenever I started playing players clubs (started with the MP-52s and went to the MP-67s and 33s). I went from scoring in the 90s to consistently scoring in the 80s. I went from scoring in the high 80s with the MP-52s which are a players cavity back to scoring in low 80s and finally breaking 80 with the 67s. Last week I even scored my lowest round yet, a 74, with the MP-67s. Now, as Edgey will be along to remind you soon, this does not mean I still don't have my occasional blowup and score a score in the 90s, but it happens way less often as my game improved. I use to play GI clubs all the time before switching to the blades and I truly believe my game would not have improved without the feedback that only a blade like iron can give you.

That is my sermon for today.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

8. why have all cavity backs fallen under the name ofr game improving????? Ive played blades for years and to a deacent standard!! but i now play titleist ap2. They look good, they feel good, and they play good but in my mind they are no GI irons!! IMO any iron that sits square, doesnt have a large offset, not designed to draw or fade is quite simpily an iron!! Any iron/driver designed to correct a flaw in your swing should then be named a GI club. Thats my opinion anyway!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pottsy
    I know how much you guys love your grain flow forged so have a deeks at these babies!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MIZUNO-MP-100t...item35ac487579

I wouldn't use them as nobody should really use blades unless super talented (another argument for another time) but they are pretty.
    I think Oldplayer has two sets of those. For display/collector purposes only I might add.

They just look like MP-33's with MP-100 stamped on them to me.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I think GI (game inproving) is really GD (game destroying). I think GI is for the guy that does not practice and plays every once in a while. My x brother in law is like that He plays cally x 20s. and he is constantly deep in the rough.
    ... a tree branch, or my foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    I think Oldplayer has two sets of those. For display/collector purposes only I might add.

They just look like MP-33's with MP-100 stamped on them to me.
    This is correct. I have not hit either set as they are for collection purposes. why you would hit and devalue them is beyond me also. They are certainly beautiful. 2 years ago a reputable ebay seller was selling off remaining sets of these one at a time. Auctions starting at .99c. I watched plenty of the auctions and one of the sets I own came from there. Nobody bid at the end and i got them for $530 usd. It was the lowest price I have ever seen for these irons. The other set I have i bought earlier and paid more for. $750 i think. I feel they will appreciate in years to come. I intend to hold onto mine. i have seen them sold for $1000 on ebay here in Australia. Not a lot really when you think they sell a retail set of callaway paddles for $1400 here.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by jetdriver
    I think GI (game inproving) is really GD (game destroying). I think GI is for the guy that does not practice and plays every once in a while. My x brother in law is like that He plays cally x 20s. and he is constantly deep in the rough.
    The Ping S59 irons are the best blades that I've ever played. Mizuno MP-52 and Titleist AP2 irons are game improvement irons compared to the Ping S59. The S59 has little to no offset and a much smaller blade profile than the oversized Mizuno MP-52 and techno-foolish AP2....even the MP-33 is large in comparison. The S59 provides superior feel as well. Oh, and Bubba plays them so you know they are long...and the best.

13. who doesnt want to improve their game?

Quote Originally Posted by samuel hosick
    why have all cavity backs fallen under the name ofr game improving????? Ive played blades for years and to a deacent standard!! but i now play titleist ap2. They look good, they feel good, and they play good but in my mind they are no GI irons!! IMO any iron that sits square, doesnt have a large offset, not designed to draw or fade is quite simpily an iron!! Any iron/driver designed to correct a flaw in your swing should then be named a GI club. Thats my opinion anyway!!
    Actually, I am amazed at what the manufacturers are trying to call blades, ie. PING etc.

Actually, I am amazed at what the manufacturers are trying to call blades, ie. PING etc.
    You play BH Grinds. I tried a set of Hogan Edge irons one time and they were the worst feeling forged or non forged club I've ever felt. Ping makes the best performing and best feeling clubs. The Hogan company got bought out by Callaway and we all know what kind of clubs THEY make

You are correct. PING does not actually make blades. Their S57, S58 and S59 variety irons are not really different than the Mizuno 52s. They are a player's cavity back iron and no more than that. I don't think FD tried to call them blades though. It is beyond stupid for anyone to try and place the S series irons in a blade category.

17. i may have started a bit of a debate here!! But my point was Yes it does take a good player to play blades but playing blades doesnt make you a good player!! If i can play off 9 with blades yes im a good player but if changing to cavities helps me drop to 4 i dont care wot you call the clubs im using, they work!! Some people prefer to look good when they could play so much better!!

i may have started a bit of a debate here!! But my point was Yes it does take a good player to play blades but playing blades doesnt make you a good player!! If i can play off 9 with blades yes im a good player but if changing to cavities helps me drop to 4 i dont care wot you call the clubs im using, they work!! Some people prefer to look good when they could play so much better!!
    Believe me, you haven't started anything, this war has been raging on here for years. All you managed to do is relight the flame.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    You play BH Grinds. I tried a set of Hogan Edge irons one time and they were the worst feeling forged or non forged club I've ever felt. Ping makes the best performing and best feeling clubs. The Hogan company got bought out by Callaway and we all know what kind of clubs THEY make
    Callaway just had to buy out Hogan to keep them from kicking their a$$ . Granted the eye twos do feel pretty good (for a cavity back). Also I must admit that I never hit a S59 so I do not have a clue what I am talking about , but they do not look like blades to me. I have a bunch of different Ping samples like the I3 over size and the I3 blade as well. Those things are the same thing exept that the blade is a slight bit thicker. If that is a blade, then I am the president's uncle (sorry just had to slip that in).
    I am currently experimenting with my BH grinds. I am trying to replace my 3 and 4 irons with a BH Apex edge pro 3 iron (cavity) and a slightly smaller BH Apex FTX 4 iron (also cavity). I hit my BH grind 3 and 4 irons just fine but while recently trying my forged small cavity Ram FX2 iron set the other day I was amazed at the distance and acuracy from the forged CB ram long irons, unfortunately I am not thrilled at the idea of using RAMs. These BH forged CB 3 and 4 irons are stunning looking and if they play right would look kick a$$ in my bag with my BH Grind blades which are awsome.

i may have started a bit of a debate here!! But my point was Yes it does take a good player to play blades but playing blades doesnt make you a good player!! If i can play off 9 with blades yes im a good player but if changing to cavities helps me drop to 4 i dont care wot you call the clubs im using, they work!! Some people prefer to look good when they could play so much better!!
    Your point is well taken. I agree that playing a GI/ Cavity back can drop 4 strokes(actally some of them, because I think some are just awful). I have mentioned here before that I only find this advantage for a short period of time and then as my swing gets sloppy my game deteriorates for no evident reason from the lack of feedback. I feel blades in the long run improve your game overall.
    My latest attempt on the above post is an attempt at harnessing the potential of a forged cavity while still holding on to my blades as the main Iron composition and thus providing constant check on my swing to catch and correct any adverse sloppiness creaping in.
    Last edited by jetdriver; 04-06-2011 at 01:31 PM.

Callaway just had to buy out Hogan to keep them from kicking their a$$ . Granted the eye twos do feel pretty good (for a cavity back). Also I must admit that I never hit a S59 so I do not have a clue what I am talking about , but they do not look like blades to me. I have a bunch of different Ping samples like the I3 over size and the I3 blade as well. Those things are the same thing exept that the blade is a slight bit thicker. If that is a blade, then I am the president's uncle (sorry just had to slip that in).
    I am currently experimenting with my BH grinds. I am trying to replace my 3 and 4 irons with a BH Apex edge pro 3 iron (cavity) and a slightly smaller BH Apex FTX 4 iron (also cavity). I hit my BH grind 3 and 4 irons just fine but while recently trying my forged small cavity Ram FX2 iron set the other day I was amazed at the distance and acuracy from the forged CB ram long irons, unfortunately I am not thrilled at the idea of using RAMs. These BH forged CB 3 and 4 irons are stunning looking and if they play right would look kick a$$ in my bag with my BH Grind blades which are awsome.
    The Ping i3 blade is not a blade. The Ping S59 is a lot closer to a blade than any Mizuno cavity back.

The Ping i3 blade is not a blade. The Ping S59 is a lot closer to a blade than any Mizuno cavity back.
    A Rhode Island Red chicken doesn't have any hair on its legs either, but that doesn't make them Tina Turner.

23. Quote Originally Posted by jetdriver
    Your point is well taken. I agree that playing a GI/ Cavity back can drop 4 strokes(actally some of them, because I think some are just awful). I have mentioned here before that I only find this advantage for a short period of time and then as my swing gets sloppy my game deteriorates for no evident reason from the lack of feedback. I feel blades in the long run improve your game overall.

i agree some are hideous!! it took me ages to find 1 that looked good enough at address to swap from my blades!! but there are many hideous blades out there too!! I agree nothing feels as nice as a well struck blade!! but if its not out of the centre ur in trouble!! U still need to be swinging well to play well with a cavity, they just make your bad shots slightly better!! At the end of the day concentration is key and if you need to play blades to keep focused then play away! But dont tell me your not a real golfer if u play cavities!! If i could shoot 69 wit just a putter id do that!! then id be a real golfer??????????

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    A Rhode Island Red chicken doesn't have any hair on its legs either, but that doesn't make them Tina Turner.
    Sooner, I'd appreciate it if you could keep your spare time activities to yourself.

You play BH Grinds. I tried a set of Hogan Edge irons one time and they were the worst feeling forged or non forged club I've ever felt. Ping makes the best performing and BEST FEELING CLUBS. The Hogan company got bought out by Callaway and we all know what kind of clubs THEY make
    See, you always put something in there that then makes us doubt the rest of your post!
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Sooner, I'd appreciate it if you could keep your spare time activities to yourself.
    Don't knock them until you've tried them.

Don't knock them until you've tried them.
    Oklahomans are famed worldwide for their chuckenficken... :-)

I do not need more feedback telling me i missed the sweetspot. I need the ball to get on the damm green. I am a Pingman once more. Played today, only hit 7 greens, couple OB tee shots, no putts made, shot 85. First time on course w ping isi, definitely easier to hit in the general area of my target. Iron game better than any other part today. Lots of work to do before vegas though. Ping!

Highlight? A 30 yard chip in for bird on 16.

Overall, it sucked. Room for improvement.

Getting old, Adams now garaged for the foreseeable future.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    Oklahomans are famed worldwide for their chuckenficken... :-)

I do not need more feedback telling me i missed the sweetspot. I need the ball to get on the damm green. I am a Pingman once more. Played today, only hit 7 greens, couple OB tee shots, no putts made, shot 85. First time on course w ping isi, definitely easier to hit in the general area of my target. Iron game better than any other part today. Lots of work to do before vegas though. Ping!

Highlight? A 30 yard chip in for bird on 16.

Overall, it sucked. Room for improvement.

Getting old, Adams now garaged for the foreseeable future.
    Dave, of course this is only from a short viewing of the greatest trailer of all time and I think someone else mentioned it but it looks like your driver swing is pretty upright and causing you to lift your head. In our first match your backswing was shorter and you stayed on plane.

Personally, I like your Adams irons better than the Ping ISI. The problem I had with the ISI was visual. Too much offset and the thinner topline accentuates it.

Just my two cents.

Dave, of course this is only from a short viewing of the greatest trailer of all time and I think someone else mentioned it but it looks like your driver swing is pretty upright and causing you to lift your head. In our first match your backswing was shorter and you stayed on plane.

Personally, I like your Adams irons better than the Ping ISI. The problem I had with the ISI was visual. Too much offset and the thinner topline accentuates it.

Just my two cents.
    I prefer the thin top line of the ISI compared to my old Zings, which looked like a set of cast iron skillets on zz65s... :-) my swing is sheite, i need to really bear down.. I have not been paying attention to fundamentals this year.. Haven't been playing, even.. Good to get out but WAY windy today. Will do better. See you in vegas. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Just my two cents.
    Wait a minute!

Did I just read the words 'Ping' and 'thinner topline' in the same statement? Surely a typo FD.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Wait a minute!

Did I just read the words 'Ping' and 'thinner topline' in the same statement? Surely a typo FD.
    Like an oklahoman breaking up with his sister, its all relative. :-) he means thinner topline than on other "frying pan on a stick" Pings.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Wait a minute!

Kiwi, it's all relative. I thought the Zing, Zing 2 and ISI were the worst irons Ping ever produced. The Zing was the first big mistake and I think it was a result of Karsten being out of touch with what golfers wanted. It came after the Ping Eye 2 (greatest iron of all time) and I think he was trying to create the ultimate game improvement iron with the little notch on the toe. The notch was supposed to help square the clubface at impact. However, after I tried playing the Zing back in 1993 I quickly realized that it's actually a more difficult club to hit than the Eye 2. Despite the stronger lofts, iron shots were about 10% shorter in distance than the Eye 2 and had a natural tendency to fade, not something the average golfer wants. Couple that with a horrible looking club with a gigantic topline and disgusting toe appendage. The Zing 2 was a mild improvement but just as ugly and too elongated. The biggest mistake, however, was replacing the ZZ-Lite shaft with the KT and then the JZ shaft. KT was too boardy for most players and the Zing actually caused it to break at the hosel. They modified it with the KT-M (Modified) but it was still too stiff. The JZ was too weak and caused long irons to baloon.

Ping got into even more trouble when they introduced the ISI only available in BeCu or Nickel. The BeCU was $799 and the Nickel was $999, out of reach for most golfers. The ISI-K was disgusting looking and meant for hacks. John Solheim failed big time with his first introductions but he came back with the Ping i3 blade and O-size although it was a mistake to lable it "O-size". It had an ugly gold and black insert in the cavity. The I3 Plus model was black and white which looked better. However, Ping finally got back on the board with the G2, i5 and S59 irons.

Now, they are back on top with the S56, i15, G15 and K15 irons. You should try the S56.

Believe me, you haven't started anything, this war has been raging on here for years. All you managed to do is relight the flame.

If you look you'll see it was someone else who re-lit the torch.

Like an oklahoman breaking up with his sister, its all relative. :-) he means thinner topline than on other "frying pan on a stick" Pings.
    I've explained this before, but I guess I have to say it again. Oklahoman's don't marry their sisters, they marry their first cousins. Sister marrying is done in Arkansas and East Texas.

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Yes would seem to be considering these are rated 7.5/10 and are going at circa $950.

Mind you the guy could just be getting really greedy???
    I passed on a set of mp 100 iron set for 400.00 without the case, they would have been a nice set to play, as they were about 8.5 very nice. about six, eight rounds with headcovers But I like the mp 37 set I have, and may bag the pw and 9 iron, in my combo set.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Kiwi, it's all relative. I thought the Zing, Zing 2 and ISI were the worst irons Ping ever produced. The Zing was the first big mistake and I think it was a result of Karsten being out of touch with what golfers wanted. It came after the Ping Eye 2 (greatest iron of all time) and I think he was trying to create the ultimate game improvement iron with the little notch on the toe. The notch was supposed to help square the clubface at impact. However, after I tried playing the Zing back in 1993 I quickly realized that it's actually a more difficult club to hit than the Eye 2. Despite the stronger lofts, iron shots were about 10% shorter in distance than the Eye 2 and had a natural tendency to fade, not something the average golfer wants. Couple that with a horrible looking club with a gigantic topline and disgusting toe appendage. The Zing 2 was a mild improvement but just as ugly and too elongated. The biggest mistake, however, was replacing the ZZ-Lite shaft with the KT and then the JZ shaft. KT was too boardy for most players and the Zing actually caused it to break at the hosel. They modified it with the KT-M (Modified) but it was still too stiff. The JZ was too weak and caused long irons to baloon.

Ping got into even more trouble when they introduced the ISI only available in BeCu or Nickel. The BeCU was $799 and the Nickel was $999, out of reach for most golfers. The ISI-K was disgusting looking and meant for hacks. John Solheim failed big time with his first introductions but he came back with the Ping i3 blade and O-size although it was a mistake to lable it "O-size". It had an ugly gold and black insert in the cavity. The I3 Plus model was black and white which looked better. However, Ping finally got back on the board with the G2, i5 and S59 irons.

Now, they are back on top with the S56, i15, G15 and K15 irons. You should try the S56.
    That's a great little Ping history lesson there FD. Thanks

I am vaguely familiar with the models you mentioned. I heard that the Ping Eye 2 was the greatest iron ever at the time of it's release but the Zing follow up was a dismal failure. I know a guy at my local club who bags the Ping Zings and plays to a 3 handicap which just further convinces me that the new latest and greatest models really offer very little true improvement on the older models. I also played recently with a 1 handicap who hit huge bombs with his driver. He played the Cleveland Launcher 460 with the stock shaft (same model as mine) and Ben Hogan irons. Not sure of the exact model but they looked something like this.

As for the ISI, well Dave seems to be liking his?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich
    I passed on a set of mp 100 iron set for 400.00 without the case, they would have been a nice set to play, as they were about 8.5 very nice. about six, eight rounds with headcovers But I like the mp 37 set I have, and may bag the pw and 9 iron, in my combo set.
    What is the "playable" difference between the 37s, 33s, and the 100s? OP? Anybody know?

I am vaguely familiar with the models you mentioned. I heard that the Ping Eye 2 was the greatest iron ever at the time of it's release but the Zing follow up was a dismal failure. I know a guy at my local club who bags the Ping Zings and plays to a 3 handicap which just further convinces me that the new latest and greatest models really offer very little true improvement on the older models. I also played recently with a 1 handicap who hit huge bombs with his driver. He played the Cleveland Launcher 460 with the stock shaft (same model as mine) and Ben Hogan irons. Not sure of the exact model but they looked something like this.

Low handicappers and players with natural swings can swing any stick and score well. My whole point of argument with blade vs. shovels is that high handicappers will never learn to be better players playing GI shovels, but that they could benefit their game by playing blades and players cavity backs.

The whole debate about which PING club is best is really irrelevant. The truth is that they all suck and their looks will cause you toss your dinner.

What is the "playable" difference between the 37s, 33s, and the 100s? OP? Anybody know?
    Not sure about the 100's but the 37's are supposed to be a lower launching iron and tougher to hit than the 33's.

I have a friend that plays them but I haven't actually had a hit of them. He is from Scotland and grew up playing links golf so he likes the lower trajectory. He is a good golfer but can be inconsistent. When he is on he comes up with magic shots. When he's off he's a 90's shooter. But again it's not usually the irons that go awry. Poor driving and dropped shots around the green are his main enemy. He hates chipping and tries to putt everything from off the green. He is a brilliant bunker player though. Best I've ever seen. He grew up playing Royal Troon on a regular basis. Apparently the bunkers there are tough so you become a good bunker player very quickly!

Now where the f#ck am I?

The MP 37 is meant for the expert golfer. It has a smaller head profile, 2 degrees stronger loft and little to no offset. Very difficult club for most golfers to hit. The MP 33s were meant to be more playable with a larger head and more weight in the sole. I tried the MP 33s and they are an excellent blade but I tended to hit them too high. I'm fairly certain the Mp-100 is simply a MP-29 iron for collectors. The MP-29 is an excellent blade and also has 2 degree stronger lofts than the MP-14 (still weak by today's standards). The best Mizuno blade, in my opinion, is the MS-9 (the Japanese version of the MP-9). By far the best blade I've hit and felt like butter. Weak lofts though.

Not sure about the 100's but the 37's are supposed to be a lower launching iron and tougher to hit than the 33's.

I have a friend that plays them but I haven't actually had a hit of them. He is from Scotland and grew up playing links golf so he likes the lower trajectory. He is a good golfer but can be inconsistent. When he is on he comes up with magic shots. When he's off he's a 90's shooter. But again it's not usually the irons that go awry. Poor driving and dropped shots around the green are his main enemy. He hates chipping and tries to putt everything from off the green. He is a brilliant bunker player though. Best I've ever seen. He grew up playing Royal Troon on a regular basis. Apparently the bunkers there are tough so you become a good bunker player very quickly!
    Being a links player, he can get away with this on most of the courses he is associated with.

Being a links player, he can get away with this on most of the courses he is associated with.
    Most NZ courses aren't set up that way though. When he tries to chip his lack of confidence often causes him to flub it.

Now where the f#ck am I?

The MP 37 is meant for the expert golfer. It has a smaller head profile, 2 degrees stronger loft and little to no offset. Very difficult club for most golfers to hit. The MP 33s were meant to be more playable with a larger head and more weight in the sole. I tried the MP 33s and they are an excellent blade but I tended to hit them too high. I'm fairly certain the Mp-100 is simply a MP-29 iron for collectors. The MP-29 is an excellent blade and also has 2 degree stronger lofts than the MP-14 (still weak by today's standards). The best Mizuno blade, in my opinion, is the MS-9 (the Japanese version of the MP-9). By far the best blade I've hit and felt like butter. Weak lofts though.
    This is interesting. I see a lot of sets on Ebay of all these clubs you have posted, but I don't really know the differences in how they play. You can get a set of any of these in pretty good shape at a decent price.

I even saw a set of 68s on Ebay last night that were in really good shape for about $350. I thought that was a great price for a "buy now." However, I have been hesitant to buy a new set because I have been very satisfied with my current three sets -- especially the MP-67s.

Most NZ courses aren't set up that way though. When he tries to chip his lack of confidence often causes him to flub it.
    There's a guy I know that is a 4 handicap and has always been a bad chipper. He won't listen to anyone's advice either. Instead of having a firm stroke he hits a chip like an iron shot and uses his wrists too much. His chipping is horrible compared to the rest of his game. It's amazing how stubborn some people can be about their games.

The 33s as you know are the toughest to hit of your mp sets Sooner. The 37 more emulate your 67s maybe a tiny bit smaller. Its a muscle back. I think fd got it wrong or maybe me, but I think the the 33s are smaller than the 37s.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

The 33s as you know are the toughest to hit of your mp sets Sooner. The 37 more emulate your 67s maybe a tiny bit smaller. Its a muscle back. I think fd got it wrong or maybe me, but I think the the 33s are smaller than the 37s.
    I think the 33s are harder to play than my 67s, too, but I have had a lot of guys say the exact opposite. I find the 67s easier to hit than the 52s for some reason. The 52s almost seem big and bulky to me.

I am vaguely familiar with the models you mentioned. I heard that the Ping Eye 2 was the greatest iron ever at the time [........................]and Ben Hogan irons. Not sure of the exact model but they looked something like this.

Those hogans in Kiwi's post are basically the irons that I am experimenting with to replace my 3 and 4 irons. I am trying them out in the morning to see if its worth the combo mod. I have hit the 4 iron before, but his time I will actually have the blades side by side. I think they are good looking irons.

I wasn't commenting on the MP 67s. That's a more recent offering and of course the lofts are juiced. The MP 67 is an excellent blade and it's what I would play if I played Mizuno. The MP-33 is well known to be a more forgiving blade. It has a longer blade profile and a larger face overall then the MP-37. I don't know if it's available on the website but Mizuno touted the MP-37 as an iron meant for the expert player. The head is much smaller than the MP 33 and the lofts are stronger. It's a blade, so the difference is minimal but that's the shizzle.

Yep.. Isi with jz shafts.. Long irons do not balloon, contrary to the advice of our Ping historian.. I played a lot of good golf with my old zings and these isi feel pretty much the same and look better. They can't compete for feel with the adams but they are long and predictable.. And they help me right now when i need it.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Yep.. Isi with jz shafts.. Long irons do not balloon, contrary to the advice of our Ping historian.. I played a lot of good golf with my old zings and these isi feel pretty much the same and look better. They can't compete for feel with the adams but they are long and predictable.. And they help me right now when i need it.
    Hey, I'm not dissing the ISI irons at all. I just think they came out with the stainless version too late. I thought the best part of the game when you beat me was your chipping and putting. You got up and down from all over the place. Plus, your driving was much better in the first match.

Vegas will be a fun match. I worry that you are playing poorly now only to come full circle when we meet up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002

Mward you know I bag X Forged lol.

I had blades until I was 25 (so 4 years ago) and yes i loved them BUT they are just more difficult to hit. It is a fact. Pros and Manufacturers will tell you the same. There is no reason to bag them unless you like the look. They feel almost the same as forged clubs such as the RAZR Forged. Queue the vitriol.

i agree some are hideous!! it took me ages to find 1 that looked good enough at address to swap from my blades!! but there are many hideous blades out there too!! I agree nothing feels as nice as a well struck blade!! but if its not out of the centre ur in trouble!! U still need to be swinging well to play well with a cavity, they just make your bad shots slightly better!! At the end of the day concentration is key and if you need to play blades to keep focused then play away! But dont tell me your not a real golfer if u play cavities!! If i could shoot 69 wit just a putter id do that!! then id be a real golfer??????????
    Sam well done for standing up to the GFF bullies!! Contrary to what you will see on GR Goes South I do play off 2 and do so with Callaway X Forged irons. Does this make ZO better than me cos he chops about with blades? Absolutley not apart from in his mind ;-)

I wasn't commenting on the MP 67s. That's a more recent offering and of course the lofts are juiced. The MP 67 is an excellent blade and it's what I would play if I played Mizuno. The MP-33 is well known to be a more forgiving blade. It has a longer blade profile and a larger face overall then the MP-37. I don't know if it's available on the website but Mizuno touted the MP-37 as an iron meant for the expert player. The head is much smaller than the MP 33 and the lofts are stronger. It's a blade, so the difference is minimal but that's the shizzle.
    FD is pretty much correct in his assesment of those mizzy blades. The 37's are definately the hardest to hit. They are quite a small compact head and the higher cog courtesy of the higher muscle postiton is what gives them their lower trajectoy. The 33's are a more elongated face which adds forgivness but I agree with FD that the trajectory is a bit too high, even with S300's. The 67's are somewhere in the middle regarding head size. The sole grind is particularly nice on the 67's and the cut muscle design gives a bit of forgivness I believe. Mp100 seem most similar in design to the 33's. Having not hit mine I can't tell you how they play.
    Having played lots of blades i believe a blade like players cavity is the best for most good players. Personally I love a combo set. Forgivness in the long irons and the sweet feel of blades in the short irons.
    Having said that i took my eye 2 + out for a run the other day and hit them very well. When hit solid they are a very good feeling and excellently performing iron.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Mward you know I bag X Forged lol.

I had blades until I was 25 (so 4 years ago) and yes i loved them BUT they are just more difficult to hit. It is a fact. Pros and Manufacturers will tell you the same. There is no reason to bag them unless you like the look. They feel almost the same as forged clubs such as the RAZR Forged. Queue the vitriol.
    Pottsy, blades aren't that hard to it, you have just been singled out by the golfing gods as unworthy of blades, so they have made them too hard for you to hit. They will simply not allow such garish ensembles to be associated with forged blades. Case in point, look at the bad breaks Norman suffered using blades with those shirts back in the late 80's/early 90s. If you smartened up your ward robe and stopped wearing clashing outfits you will find that blades wil become easy to hit.

You're welcome.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Pottsy, blades aren't that hard to it, you have just been singled out by the golfing gods as unworthy of blades, so they have made them too hard for you to hit. They will simply not allow such garish ensembles to be associated with forged blades. Case in point, look at the bad breaks Norman suffered using blades with those shirts back in the late 80's/early 90s. If you smartened up your ward robe and stopped wearing clashing outfits you will find that blades wil become easy to hit.

You're welcome.
    What is a ward robe? Is that like a garment which is an historic testament to Mward2002 and his family?? Does it have its own tartan?

NAH... The ability to hit blades and the awareness that there are better options are just two of my many advantages over you in life!

The 37s have 1 degree stronger lofts, pw is 47 degrees, same as my 52s. The 33s have a 48 degree pw. I,m not sure about the 67s but I bet there the same as the 37s in loft. I have not owned the 33 so I cannot comment on head size. I have 37s and 52s and mx 23s and Ping eye 2 becus, and Maxfli a10s. Your right though, they claim the 33s are bigger, and more forgiving than the 37s. I thought it was the other way around.

Sooner I struggle around the greens somedays with my chipping. I know you use a niblick on occasion. We have a similar thin grass, bare spots, on the courses here, cause it still early in the season, and my latest Mizuno 50 deg raw black ox, with 6 degress of bounce has really opened the door for some great chipping. None of my pwedges from any of my sets has this ability. I also picked up a raw black ox, worked over by the nomad tour van 58 deg, with a gto sole grind, reworked grooves, Amazing club also around greens, from traps, and below the hole shots. You can get after it, and hit little pitches that just go at the flag and just stick. Full shots tend to spin back, and go a little high. The best part I paid 50 dollars for it off the tour van, not $600. My Clevelands sit in the closet, and I gave 2 Vokeys I gave away. Nothing else compares.
    Last edited by 12sandwich; 04-07-2011 at 03:18 AM.

What is a ward robe? Is that like a garment which is an historic testament to Mward2002 and his family?? Does it have its own tartan?

NAH... The ability to hit blades and the awareness that there are better options are just two of my many advantages over you in life!
    I'm assuming your lovely weather in the north of England is another?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

There's a guy I know that is a 4 handicap and has always been a bad chipper. He won't listen to anyone's advice either. Instead of having a firm stroke he hits a chip like an iron shot and uses his wrists too much. His chipping is horrible compared to the rest of his game. It's amazing how stubborn some people can be about their games.
    I have that same problem using to much wrist on chips. I broke myself of it this season. What a difference!

The 37s have 1 degree stronger lofts, pw is 47 degrees, same as my 52s. The 33s have a 48 degree pw. I,m not sure about the 67s but I bet there the same as the 37s in loft. I have not owned the 33 so I cannot comment on head size. I have 37s and 52s and mx 23s and Ping eye 2 becus, and Maxfli a10s. Your right though, they claim the 33s are bigger, and more forgiving than the 37s. I thought it was the other way around.
    The 67s are the same lofts as the 33's i.e. 22* 3 iron to 48* PW

Most other MP models 32, 37, 52, 62, 58 etc are 1 degree stronger, 21* 3 iron to 47* PW.

The latest models MP-53 & 63 are the same lofts in 3-5 but the 6-PW are 1* stronger again with a 46* PW. Soon they'll probably be 45* PW just like most shovels but by then SGI PW will probably be about 40* in other words a true 8 iron

Now where the f#ck am I?

The 67s are the same lofts as the 33's i.e. 22* 3 iron to 48* PW

Most other MP models 32, 37, 52, 62, 58 etc are 1 degree stronger, 21* 3 iron to 47* PW.

The latest models MP-53 & 63 are the same lofts in 3-5 but the 6-PW are 1* stronger again with a 46* PW. Soon they'll probably be 45* PW just like most shovels but by then SGI PW will probably be about 40* in other words a true 8 iron
    That sh!ts so stupid. Just make them some standard, and what the customer does with there lofts is there own thing. I kind of liked the early ping way of lofts and numbers.

Hey, I'm not dissing the ISI irons at all. I just think they came out with the stainless version too late. I thought the best part of the game when you beat me was your chipping and putting. You got up and down from all over the place. Plus, your driving was much better in the first match.

Vegas will be a fun match. I worry that you are playing poorly now only to come full circle when we meet up.
    all I can say is, it could happen. Hope so. :-)

I may come in Friday early... maybe we can play the course Friday for familiarity so that Saturday isn't flying blind...? just a thought. A morning flight should get me there in time for an afternoon round, then a morning round the next day should get me back to the airport in time to fly home..

who knows, I might be baggin' the Adams again if I get this thing under control.. I just have to play more..

I stroked it well yesterday, just didn't get any into the cup.. and I hit some nice chips and pitches too, including the 100 footer in the can. It was the tee game that really didn't help yesterday. Gotta figure it out.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Sooner I struggle around the greens somedays with my chipping. I know you use a niblick on occasion. We have a similar thin grass, bare spots, on the courses here, cause it still early in the season, and my latest Mizuno 50 deg raw black ox, with 6 degress of bounce has really opened the door for some great chipping. None of my pwedges from any of my sets has this ability. I also picked up a raw black ox, worked over by the nomad tour van 58 deg, with a gto sole grind, reworked grooves, Amazing club also around greens, from traps, and below the hole shots. You can get after it, and hit little pitches that just go at the flag and just stick. Full shots tend to spin back, and go a little high. The best part I paid 50 dollars for it off the tour van, not $600. My Clevelands sit in the closet, and I gave 2 Vokeys I gave away. Nothing else compares.
    I have put the niblick in the closet about three months ago and have been chipping with my Vokey wedges. It was just a matter of going out and practicing a lot to try and figure out how to chip off bare lies, which we have a lot of during the Winter. I finally got it figured out and have done well with my pitching and chipping of late.

I'm assuming your lovely weather in the north of England is another?
    You chose a poor time for that one. It is bleached with sun, no clouds and 19 degrees celcius as we speak. But generally you are bang on and that is an area I lose handsomely in.

You chose a poor time for that one. It is bleached with sun, no clouds and 19 degrees celcius as we speak. But generally you are bang on and that is an area I lose handsomely in.
    Hey, Pottsy, have you ever golfed in a kilt? I'm beginning to think that might be the most awesome wardrobe ever. I don't know if I will ever have the guts to golf in a kilt, but I am getting one soon. I go to several Irish/Scottish festivals during the year here in the states and almost all the men wear kilts. It's time for me to be converted.

Hey, Pottsy, have you ever golfed in a kilt? I'm beginning to think that might be the most awesome wardrobe ever. I don't know if I will ever have the guts to golf in a kilt, but I am getting one soon. I go to several Irish/Scottish festivals during the year here in the states and almost all the men wear kilts. It's time for me to be converted.
    I haven't. I have never worn one. I am not Scottish and do not live in Scotland so I have never felt the need.

I have heard American's say to a Scot, "Oh you're from Scotland, England? lmao!!!

I haven't. I have never worn one. I am not Scottish and do not live in Scotland so I have never felt the need.

I have heard American's say to a Scot, "Oh you're from Scotland, England? lmao!!!
    I know the difference, but for some reason, I thought you were from Scotland. You are from England then?

I know the difference, but for some reason, I thought you were from Scotland. You are from England then?
    Sooner I was honestly not suggesting you didn't know the difference but some people don't - I have heard it.

Yes mate I am English and living in England until Mward2002 finds me a nice place in Tampa or Sarasota ;-)

We are igetting towards the end of autumn so it's getting a little chilly. Saturday it will only get to about 26 celcius is brilliant sunshine

We are igetting towards the end of autumn so it's getting a little chilly. Saturday it will only get to about 26 celcius is brilliant sunshine
    Nice, I never once said that you did not live in a nice place. The brilliant sunshine would likely make up for the vast amount of ants, massive levels of pollen and natural disasters.

all I can say is, it could happen. Hope so. :-)

I may come in Friday early... maybe we can play the course Friday for familiarity so that Saturday isn't flying blind...? just a thought. A morning flight should get me there in time for an afternoon round, then a morning round the next day should get me back to the airport in time to fly home..

who knows, I might be baggin' the Adams again if I get this thing under control.. I just have to play more..

I stroked it well yesterday, just didn't get any into the cup.. and I hit some nice chips and pitches too, including the 100 footer in the can. It was the tee game that really didn't help yesterday. Gotta figure it out.
    Saturday morning is the earliest I can be there. I have to go to the conference that ends on Wed so Saturday is the earliest I can leave. I can probably get there fairly early on Saturday and we could play 36 holes. It's cheaper that way as well. Go ahead and play it on Friday. They have 3 courses and I don't remember which one I played. Plus, it was over 10 years ago.

I don't know about you guys/girls/AC-DC but I kinda like the look of Mizuno MP-14

Sam well done for standing up to the GFF bullies!! Contrary to what you will see on GR Goes South I do play off 2 and do so with Callaway X Forged irons. Does this make ZO better than me cos he chops about with blades? Absolutley not apart from in his mind ;-)
    Pottsy... couple wks ago I posted a ranking of forged irons and Cally X Forged rank very high... OK, give us your honest opinion why you play these clubs, perhaps BS Sonner can make a switch after that

You don't need to go as far as what golf clubs we use to clearly establish that. But if you do compare them then, well, yes it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    I don't know about you guys/girls/AC-DC but I kinda like the look of Mizuno MP-14
    Me too. I got mine about a year ago and recently put some old man shafts in them to account for my age and deteriorating physical abilities. I put some 3/8" Home Depot foam backer rod down each shaft (redneck's Sensicore) and the feel is better than butter. Couple of months ago I was out hitting them off the permafrost in 25* weather and didn't feel a thing. And they're cheap because most of them will have pieces of chrome missing and worn sweet spots on the faces. If that bothers you, stay away. It doesn't bother me because there appears to be a good nickel alloy under the chrome. The grooves on my short irons are fairly worn but I can still spin back one of those yellow Srixons (Z-Star or whatever) a foot or so from 150 with a 7 on level ground. And they eat through rough like nothing else.

Me too. I got mine about a year ago and recently put some old man shafts in them to account for my age and deteriorating physical abilities. I put some 3/8" Home Depot foam backer rod down each shaft (redneck's Sensicore) and the feel is better than butter. Couple of months ago I was out hitting them off the permafrost in 25* weather and didn't feel a thing. And they're cheap because most of them will have pieces of chrome missing and worn sweet spots on the faces. If that bothers you, stay away. It doesn't bother me because there appears to be a good nickel alloy under the chrome. The grooves on my short irons are fairly worn but I can still spin back one of those yellow Srixons (Z-Star or whatever) a foot or so from 150 with a 7 on level ground. And they eat through rough like nothing else.
    Mongrel: now you make me curious to try this club out
    What shaft type that you are using and why?
    What is foam backer rod? what does it do?
    thanks

Mongrel: now you make me curious to try this club out
    What shaft type that you are using and why?
    What is foam backer rod? what does it do?
    thanks
    True Temper Dynalite Gold Super Lites. Stiff flex. Each weighs 103 grams versus the Dynamic Golds, the shafts I'd played forever, at around 130 grams. That's over an ounce lighter per stick. The SL's have a much weaker step pattern which results in a higher ball flight. I chose these after too many hours of internet research mainly because they were the cheapest ultra light steel shafts and if I f*cked up one or two messing with installation, cutting off the butts, etc, I would only be out around $16. I have always been a very low ball hitter from driver to wedges and at my age it was costing me distance and the heavier, stiffer shafts were making me strain to load the shafts which made for ugly pull hooks and sod-laying fat shots. That crap has gone away. Foam backer rod is almost weightless gray poly foam that comes in different diameters in lengths measured in the 10-20 foot range. Used for insulating windows and, in the larger diameters, for inserting in seams between concrete slabs of patios before applying silicone or other waterproof caulking. This sh*t is so cheap I did two sets of irons (3-PW), 2 or 3 various sand wedges, a metal shafted hybrid experiment, and I still have a couple feet left. You just cram it down the butt end of the shaft before you install the grip. I would insert an end into the shaft and tear it off when the end butted up against the hosel. Then ram it down a bit with a wood dowell so that it was nice and tight. This absorbs much of the vibrations that run from the clubhead up the steel shaft and into your hands, arms and body. You know, the really bad vibrations from hitting other than the sweetspot. I also epoxied oak dowells into the tip ends of the clubshafts so that they would extend from the bottom of the hosel to just above the top, about 1.25" for the MP-14's. This seems to attenuate even more vibration.
    After all that, my MP-14's are easier for me to hit than any other iron I've ever tried including various and sundry off-set, over-sized, cavity-backed, high-MOI, ultra-high-MOI etc. models. I can now hit my 5 iron at a trajectory that I could only achieve with the PW before the re-shaft. And I hit them a little longer. Probably due to the higher club speed allowed by the lighter weight.

True Temper Dynalite Gold Super Lites. Stiff flex. Each weighs 103 grams versus the Dynamic Golds, the shafts I'd played forever, at around 130 grams. That's over an ounce lighter per stick. The SL's have a much weaker step pattern which results in a higher ball flight. I chose these after too many hours of internet research mainly because they were the cheapest ultra light steel shafts and if I f*cked up one or two messing with installation, cutting off the butts, etc, I would only be out around $16. I have always been a very low ball hitter from driver to wedges and at my age it was costing me distance and the heavier, stiffer shafts were making me strain to load the shafts which made for ugly pull hooks and sod-laying fat shots. That crap has gone away. Foam backer rod is almost weightless gray poly foam that comes in different diameters in lengths measured in the 10-20 foot range. Used for insulating windows and, in the larger diameters, for inserting in seams between concrete slabs of patios before applying silicone or other waterproof caulking. This sh*t is so cheap I did two sets of irons (3-PW), 2 or 3 various sand wedges, a metal shafted hybrid experiment, and I still have a couple feet left. You just cram it down the butt end of the shaft before you install the grip. I would insert an end into the shaft and tear it off when the end butted up against the hosel. Then ram it down a bit with a wood dowell so that it was nice and tight. This absorbs much of the vibrations that run from the clubhead up the steel shaft and into your hands, arms and body. You know, the really bad vibrations from hitting other than the sweetspot. I also epoxied oak dowells into the tip ends of the clubshafts so that they would extend from the bottom of the hosel to just above the top, about 1.25" for the MP-14's. This seems to attenuate even more vibration.
    After all that, my MP-14's are easier for me to hit than any other iron I've ever tried including various and sundry off-set, over-sized, cavity-backed, high-MOI, ultra-high-MOI etc. models. I can now hit my 5 iron at a trajectory that I could only achieve with the PW before the re-shaft. And I hit them a little longer. Probably due to the higher club speed allowed by the lighter weight.
    103 grams? shìitttt my graphite shaft now is only 75 grams... I am afraid it's still quite heavy for me. Thanks for info

103 grams? shìitttt my graphite shaft now is only 75 grams... I am afraid it's still quite heavy for me. Thanks for info
    That's the uncut weight per shaft from 37" up to around 41.5"-sand wedge through 3 iron. Since you would play your irons much shorter that 37" 103 gram sand wedge shaft would be trimmed from its butt around 3 or more inches and you'd lose 6-8 grams from the trim. But if you're used to 75 gram graphite iron shafts, these ain't gonna do ya. Personally, every graphite shafted iron I've ever hit has felt like cold ass on the autopsy table.

Saturday morning is the earliest I can be there. I have to go to the conference that ends on Wed so Saturday is the earliest I can leave. I can probably get there fairly early on Saturday and we could play 36 holes. It's cheaper that way as well. Go ahead and play it on Friday. They have 3 courses and I don't remember which one I played. Plus, it was over 10 years ago.
    I don't quite get this. Are you not already going to be in Vegas that week? What night do you want me to split the room with you? Friday night? What do you mean Saturday is the earliest you can leave? Leave from where?

btw what is the name of this golf course again?

I haven't booked flights yet. I gotta figure out what you meant by this. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

I don't quite get this. Are you not already going to be in Vegas that week? What night do you want me to split the room with you? Friday night? What do you mean Saturday is the earliest you can leave? Leave from where?

btw what is the name of this golf course again?

I haven't booked flights yet. I gotta figure out what you meant by this. :-)
    I will be flying in to Las Vegas on Saturday morning, May 21st and then leaving on the evening of Wed, May 25th. If you could fly in on Saturday we could play that afternoon, play on Sunday morning and then you could leave after that on Sunday. We would need to split a room on Saturday, May 21st. We should probably make reservations for everything very soon. The name of the golf course is Paiute. They have an "all you can golf" rate that saves you about $60 vs. playing two consecutive days.

I will be flying in to Las Vegas on Saturday morning, May 21st and then leaving on the evening of Wed, May 25th. If you could fly in on Saturday we could play that afternoon, play on Sunday morning and then you could leave after that on Sunday. We would need to split a room on Saturday, May 21st. We should probably make reservations for everything very soon. The name of the golf course is Paiute. They have an "all you can golf" rate that saves you about $60 vs. playing two consecutive days.
    So I guess this is where someone pipes in with a "would you two get a room". Sounds like its time for a new thread.

GHD
    Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
    Sun Tzu

"There is an old saying: If a man comes home with sand in his cuffs and cockleburs in his pants, don't ask him what he shot."
    Sam Snead

Taylor Made R9 TP
    Cleveland CG-10 52 &56
    Taylormade v-steel copy 3 & 5 wood
    Tiger Shark 18* hybrid
    Tayormade 2007 Burner 10.5 Driver
    odyssey #9 white hot
    gamer topflite
    Dewars scotch whiskey

That's the uncut weight per shaft from 37" up to around 41.5"-sand wedge through 3 iron. Since you would play your irons much shorter that 37" 103 gram sand wedge shaft would be trimmed from its butt around 3 or more inches and you'd lose 6-8 grams from the trim. But if you're used to 75 gram graphite iron shafts, these ain't gonna do ya. Personally, every graphite shafted iron I've ever hit has felt like cold ass on the autopsy table.
    May be I will search for 6-i MP-14 in graphite shaft and try it out first

I'm about 100% sure none came from the factory with anything other than Dynamic Golds or maybe Rifles. You can buy a set so cheap that you could have a six re-shafted and, if you don't like it, put the pull-out back in and keep them for practice, trade them in, or give them to a youngin who shows promise.

Perfect. I"ll book the earliest possible flight in on Sat. morning, the latest possible flight out on Sunday night, and I'll get you those flight times so we can set some tee times. I like the "all day" concept.. if we have time, we can do 27 or 36 on one or both days.

I'll pm you with the flight info. You get the room. One kingsize is fine. KIDDING, ghd!
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Do not put a graphite shaft in any mp club. Pk. You love your current paddles with light graphite shafts. To bad. Did you notice Op plays sometimes a project x 5.0 considered regular flex. So do I. And regular flex in my mx 23s dg lite shafts. Also I put regular tt gs 95 in my mp 37 blades. I have a set of Ping copy be cu iron set with adila graphite, and they feel like crap. No feedback. And another set of Pings with steel, and they feel great. I had gs 75 stiff in my other set of mx 23 irons and they were to light, and stung a little. The extra weight of steel seems to dampen vibration, yet let you know exactly were on the club you hit the ball. No decent ball striker plays graphite in there irons, except Larry

My MP-9s do not say GFF do you guys think there is really any difference or did they just start stamping Grain Flow Forged on them at some point.

My MP-9s do not say GFF do you guys think there is really any difference or did they just start stamping Grain Flow Forged on them at some point.
    Somebody sold you some Chinese knock-offs. Grain Flow FORGERY.
    "I'm going to end up working in the lumberyard the rest of my life"

Do not put a graphite shaft in any mp club. Pk. You love your current paddles with light graphite shafts. To bad. Did you notice Op plays sometimes a project x 5.0 considered regular flex. So do I. And regular flex in my mx 23s dg lite shafts. Also I put regular tt gs 95 in my mp 37 blades. I have a set of Ping copy be cu iron set with adila graphite, and they feel like crap. No feedback. And another set of Pings with steel, and they feel great. I had gs 75 stiff in my other set of mx 23 irons and they were to light, and stung a little. The extra weight of steel seems to dampen vibration, yet let you know exactly were on the club you hit the ball. No decent ball striker plays graphite in there irons, except Larry
    Thanks for input 12sandwich... I ALWAYS wanted light-weighed steel shaft , not any lighter than my current constant wt 75-g graphite shaft in my Callay 2002... I will make a switch, just a matter of when... MP-14 heads look very macho and aggressive , people sais that MP-29 heads look similar but MP-14 performs better... I am a lousy research guy so I like to fukkkkk around with variables

Quote Originally Posted by jearliff
    LOL ah well at least technically they are still GFF.

Now where the f#ck am I?

This is great. I've never thought of weather-proofing my golf clubs before. I mean, really, who wants to feel a draft inside the shaft of their irons?

Those MP-9s are easily as good as anything made today. I had a set of the MS-9 (same thing but Japanese version) with Dynamic Gold R300 and they felt incredible.

This is great. I've never thought of weather-proofing my golf clubs before. I mean, really, who wants to feel a draft inside the shaft of their irons?
    I know a guy whose zipper broke on his ski trousers and he was forced to feel a freezing draft on his shaft.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I know a guy whose zipper broke on his ski trousers and he was forced to feel a freezing draft on his shaft.
    I use one of my old fuzzy Ping headcovers to avoid that.

Quote Originally Posted by jearliff
    Thats funny. I don't think China was fully on the "defraud the world" bandwaggon back then. I think it's just before Mizuno started marketing the whole GFF fad.

Those MP-9s are easily as good as anything made today. I had a set of the MS-9 (same thing but Japanese version) with Dynamic Gold R300 and they felt incredible.
    Have you tried the MP14? I have a set with Rifle 6.5, been thinking of reshafting them to something I can hit.. the head seems to be fairly large, like a Titleist 690, something worth using for someone who isn't smacking every shot on the pinhead of the sweet spot...

I don't want to spend money reshafting something that sucks though..

my set goes all the way to one iron. Great condition. Classic blade look but a bit bigger than a lot of them.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Have you tried the MP14? I have a set with Rifle 6.5, been thinking of reshafting them to something I can hit.. the head seems to be fairly large, like a Titleist 690, something worth using for someone who isn't smacking every shot on the pinhead of the sweet spot...

my set goes all the way to one iron. Great condition. Classic blade look but a bit bigger than a lot of them.
    I've had my MP 14's about a year and took them apart and put them back together and conclude: The heads are heavy weighing at least 20 grams per head more than a set of Titleist 755's I just got. The heads remind me a lot of the Wilson FG 17's, a set of which I also have. The MP 14's have relatively thin "digger" soles which I had a problem with but putting 30 gram lighter steel shafts in them pretty much cleared that problem up. To me it seems that you can get away with thin, fat and towards-the-toe strike with the 14's more than most blades and cast cavity backs.

I've had my MP 14's about a year and took them apart and put them back together and conclude: The heads are heavy weighing at least 20 grams per head more than a set of Titleist 755's I just got. The heads remind me a lot of the Wilson FG 17's, a set of which I also have. The MP 14's have relatively thin "digger" soles which I had a problem with but putting 30 gram lighter steel shafts in them pretty much cleared that problem up. To me it seems that you can get away with thin, fat and towards-the-toe strike with the 14's more than most blades and cast cavity backs.
    they felt heavy to me, but I couldn't tell if it was the shafts... 6.5 is too much for me... glad to know the heads are heavy, a nice light shaft should solve that.. I like to feel the clubhead in any case, but if it's too heavy overall it just hurts my ball speed.

I have an unused set of DG superlites (green label) in S300... would they be light enough? They might be too biased toward high launch though.

btw thanks for the details.. very helpful. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Yes, I tried the MP-14 and I never liked them. I could never get any kind of distance out of them. I had to hit a 9 iron from 115 out. I think you'd be much better off getting the MP-32. If I were to get a set of blades I would have them reshafted with something similar to the old Dynamic Light shafts. I haven't tried Dynamic Gold Lite shafts or the super lights. The perfect shaft for me is one that is about as stiff as Dynamic Gold but lighter. I hate the weight of Dynamic Gold. Forget project X, I can't stand the way those feel or any other "rifle" kind of shaft. I also don't like the feel of Dynalite Gold. Those things balloon on me and I lose distance.

I was helping a co-worker buy a set of clubs today who's about a 105 shooter. He ended up getting the taylormade superlaunch irons brand new for $299 and then we got him a slightly used Taylor driver for $79 and a 5 wood for $59. Got his Callaway Cart bag at Costco for $79 (that's a hell of a deal by the way because that is a nice looking cart bag). You can get some great deals on brand new irons. They also had a set of Callaway X-20 irons 4-SW for $329.

Of course I walked over to the used section and saw a 8.5/10 set of Ping Zing irons 3-LW with the KT-M shafts for $179. I was very tempted but couldn't pull the trigger. Maybe I'm thinking I can finally master them. Or maybe I just want to buy clubs.

I got these a few of months ago. I am waiting until Dave makes the movie or Lorenzo drops dead to finally get them bent since they are about 2 degrees too upright.

Thread Information