|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Callaway Razr Hawk

Was at a demo day today and bought one of these drivers on the spot. Got it for $300. If the shaft that comes with it doesn't work as well as the demo, I'll find one that does.

This thing was well longer than anything else I've hit, had great feel but the most impressive thing was how good results were with bad swings/contact. Wasn't 't looking for a new driver.

So we'll see if the benefits are long term. I'm thinking a least 4 strokes. Anyone else try this driver?
    GR lives...

Don't tell me this Zo. I'm trying real hard to be happy with my current set up. I really don't need a new driver.
    Last edited by Not a hacker; 03-12-2011 at 05:33 AM.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Was at a demo day today and bought one of these drivers on the spot. Got it for $300. If the shaft that comes with it doesn't work as well as the demo, I'll find one that does.

This thing was well longer than anything else I've hit, had great feel but the most impressive thing was how good results were with bad swings/contact. Wasn't 't looking for a new driver.

So we'll see if the benefits are long term. I'm thinking a least 4 strokes. Anyone else try this driver?
    $300 well spent .... I hope that you could hit it better than my GBB II (380cc & 415cc) drivers... what shaft does it come at a demo?... By the way, I paid $14 and $24 for both GBB II... enough leftover $$$ to buy several excellent Italian dishes

thats funny

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Don't tell me this Zo. I'm trying real hard to be happy with my current set up. I really don't need a new driver.
    Thats funny, now just go buy it! I probably will have to try it too, dammit!

It seems as though most of my friends have been putting new drivers in their bags but I'd decided I liked the D3 and to not get caught up in the new club thing. So believe me, I feel like an ass doing this. I walk over there and 15 minutes later I order the driver.

Pkwy, I don't have any idea on shaft except that it's stiff. No launch monitor either. I hit it and bought it. It's also a 10.5, I don't think I've owned anything higher than 9.5, although it's a little meaningless as manufacturers measure differently or lie about it.

And then the name's stupid, too. Razr Hawk? WTF? But the look, feel, ease, ball flight, roll, compensation for bad swings and distance seemed so damn good I bought it, partly because they were making it available.

So believe me, NAH, I'm not particularly happy about this either. I actually went over there to demo wedges as my Mizunos have long been worn but they stopped making the R series. So I bought a couple of wedges too. What I liked about them was not only round but really heavy head weight that seems to blow through rough pretty well.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by huskyhater
    Thats funny, now just go buy it! I probably will have to try it too, dammit!
    Only try it if you're willing to buy it. Jeez, I sound like such a schill talking it up like this. Not in FD's league with Ping, but pretty wide-eyed nonetheless.

Honestly, if it turns out in play the way it did on the range, I'll write a review on it. This is how it will end: Thanks, Callaway!
    GR lives...

Only try it if you're willing to buy it. Jeez, I sound like such a schill talking it up like this. Not in FD's league with Ping, but pretty wide-eyed nonetheless.

Honestly, if it turns out in play the way it did on the range, I'll write a review on it. This is how it will end: Thanks, Callaway!
    I saw the Razr at the golf store and I think it's the best looking driver they've come out with. Haven't tried it but having a driver that looks good at address is a good starting point. I think the worst looking driver I've seen is still the Nike Sasquatch. Either that or that square abomination Callaway came out with. With drivers, it aint hip to be square.

At our trip away last weekend one of my mates turned up to play with one of these drivers. He said he loved it and he certainly hit it well. The longest I've seen him drive a ball.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

I've heard nothing but good things about it. If it's got the feel the FT Tour did, I can't imagine it being a dud.
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

Designed in collaboration with Lamborghini. When you look at the head, there are some automotive motifs going on. Personally, the last Lambo design that appealed to me was the Miura S circa 1968. Most Lamborghini owners either have Brit, German or Italian expert mechanics on retainer or let their rides sit in their climate-controlled garages for 360 days of the year. Most of the ones I've seen, driven and riden in have traveled less than 1,000 miles per year after more than 10 years of ownership. Same with Ferraris. Maserati owners tend to own their cars to actually drive them and they are usually much less tempermental. What does this have to do with a golf club? Not much, I guess. One of the reasons I'm attracted to the looks of many of the modern Titleist woods is that they remind me of machines designed for function rather than flash like Porsche cars, some of my alltime favorites. I just got a Titleist 907 D2 driver and really like it. The 907 Porsche is also one of my favorite Porsche designs even though it hit the streets (well, actually the streets of Le Mans, France) in the summer of 1967. Still and all, there must be a lot of buzz about this new club since it is not made of titanium, but a composite material. If memory serves, the Top Flite Heat Lee Trevino driver I played in the early and mid '90's was a composite head. I won a long drive contest at a scramble (albeit with bankers and lawyers) in 1994 hitting it 280 into a 25 mph headwinds. The lawyer whose drive I nipped by 3 yards was playing his brand new Callaway Big Big REALLY Big Bertha that he paid like $500 for and he was really p*ssed. Accused me of cheating. Well, I did sort of cheat because off the long drive hole, a 400 yard par 4, I aimed for the right rough just off the fairway where there was a little knoll about 230 out that was almost bare dry dirt and the fairways weren't rolling hardly at all and the wind was strong into me and I couldn't carry a drive within 30 yards of that fancy lawyer with his fancy new Callaway so I did what I had to do and hit the top of the knoll with a laser like low cruise missile and the ball skipped off the top dirt like a .223 ricochet off steel deckplate. Move the sign up 3 yards and put your name on the next line down with the Sharpie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    I've heard nothing but good things about it. If it's got the feel the FT Tour did, I can't imagine it being a dud.
    Feel is my no. 1 criteria. I hate the feel of dinner plates breaking. Even with s.hitty range balls feel was excellent.
    GR lives...

Feel is my no. 1 criteria. I hate the feel of dinner plates breaking. Even with s.hitty range balls feel was excellent.
    Loz

What shaft has it it got in it?

I have looked at these and thought they are pretty damn good, best looking driver Cally have produced in a while. If it wasnt for the fact i am hitting the K15 so while i might be tempted.............

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    Loz

What shaft has it it got in it?

I have looked at these and thought they are pretty damn good, best looking driver Cally have produced in a while. If it wasnt for the fact i am hitting the K15 so while i might be tempted.............

Edgey
    I'm going to be the devil here and tell you I tried the K15, own the G15 and while I think both of those drivers are worthy, the new Cally may be a whole new ball game. Mine should arrive mid-week, obviously I need to see results on the course. Honeymoon expiration will take longer. But it's been a long time since I've been this optimistic about, well, maybe anything. I can't imagine a driver being more forgiving. It is possible I just happened to groove it, but I don't think I was swinging that well at the time and kept alternating with the D3 and certainly wasn't grooving that.

As far as the shaft, I just went with the stock Aldila. I wanted to recreate what was in my hands during the demo. It doesn't make sense, it's a low kickpoint cheapo stock shaft which I usually hate. But I decided not to over-think this. If it goes stale, I've got a few aftermarkets I could put in it that I know I like.

You can either run and demo this now or give me a chance to report back after use. Then again, the K15 is long, if you're liking it at least wait until it's in the doghouse.
    GR lives...

I'm going to be the devil here and tell you I tried the K15, own the G15 and while I think both of those drivers are worthy, the new Cally may be a whole new ball game. Mine should arrive mid-week, obviously I need to see results on the course. Honeymoon expiration will take longer. But it's been a long time since I've been this optimistic about, well, maybe anything. I can't imagine a driver being more forgiving. It is possible I just happened to groove it, but I don't think I was swinging that well at the time and kept alternating with the D3 and certainly wasn't grooving that.

As far as the shaft, I just went with the stock Aldila. I wanted to recreate what was in my hands during the demo. It doesn't make sense, it's a low kickpoint cheapo stock shaft which I usually hate. But I decided not to over-think this. If it goes stale, I've got a few aftermarkets I could put in it that I know I like.

You can either run and demo this now or give me a chance to report back after use. Then again, the K15 is long, if you're liking it at least wait until it's in the doghouse.
    Did you get the tour version of the driver? Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    Did you get the tour version of the driver? Just wondering.
    No, the regular with a neutral face. I didn't even bother to hit the tour.
    GR lives...

Hi Loz

The K15 remains long, straight and reliable.

As a club ho however I will of course await your report and then try it. As i said elsewhere i really want to like a Callaway driver again. Maybe the Razr Hawk is the one!

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Hmmm ... I normally give anything Callaway a wide berth but I may have to give this new driver a try.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

This is the sort of forum buzz that the OEM's crave. If it turns out to be a great driver then that is all that matters.
    The best way to get approval and really lift word of mouth sales is to produce a great product. duh!!

This is unusual and high praise indeed as there has been plenty of anti-Callaway sentiment on this forum.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

It seems as though most of my friends have been putting new drivers in their bags but I'd decided I liked the D3 and to not get caught up in the new club thing. So believe me, I feel like an ass doing this. I walk over there and 15 minutes later I order the driver.

Pkwy, I don't have any idea on shaft except that it's stiff. No launch monitor either. I hit it and bought it. It's also a 10.5, I don't think I've owned anything higher than 9.5, although it's a little meaningless as manufacturers measure differently or lie about it.

And then the name's stupid, too. Razr Hawk? WTF? But the look, feel, ease, ball flight, roll, compensation for bad swings and distance seemed so damn good I bought it, partly because they were making it available.

So believe me, NAH, I'm not particularly happy about this either. I actually went over there to demo wedges as my Mizunos have long been worn but they stopped making the R series. So I bought a couple of wedges too. What I liked about them was not only round but really heavy head weight that seems to blow through rough pretty well.
    The golfing gods are conspiring against me Zo. Iwas watching the Caddilac championship this morning, and in the ad break, a local golf store is offering a $100 trade in on your old driver for a new Razr Hawk driver. They are already reasonably priced, so with what basically a $100 discount (they didn't specify on the trade in so you could probably bring in a coke bottle tied to a stick and get the discount) it makes for a good price for what seems to be the new gun driver. The guy who works the conter at my golf club got one and he was showing it to me a couple weeks ago. One thing he said was that it had a really solid sound, not a tinny ping like many new drivers. I'm sticking to my old driver, but I'm hanging on by a thread. If some spare money landed uin my lap right about now I think the Razr Hawk driver would be mine. The main thing that has sold me is what you say about bad swings not being punished. My driver set up is pretty tight and I can swing pretty bad and still stay in the fairway, but I'd like a driver that didn't punish me so bad with distance loss on off centre hits. I honestly think that with the right loft and shaft every new driver is going to peform the same on centre hits, the real difference is how well they perform on bad swings.

P.S. I note you got yours in 10.5. You may find that the extra loft is the reason you liked the club so much. I was hitting 9 and 9.5 drivers for a few months there and getting what I thought were good results, but after going back to the Powerbilt at 10.5, I'm hitting it longer and straighter than before. I think 10.5 with a solid shaft is the operfect combo for me, it gets the extra height which for me means much longer carry and longer overall distance.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

The golfing gods are conspiring against me Zo. Iwas watching the Caddilac championship this morning, and in the ad break, a local golf store is offering a $100 trade in on your old driver for a new Razr Hawk driver. They are already reasonably priced, so with what basically a $100 discount (they didn't specify on the trade in so you could probably bring in a coke bottle tied to a stick and get the discount) it makes for a good price for what seems to be the new gun driver. The guy who works the conter at my golf club got one and he was showing it to me a couple weeks ago. One thing he said was that it had a really solid sound, not a tinny ping like many new drivers. I'm sticking to my old driver, but I'm hanging on by a thread. If some spare money landed uin my lap right about now I think the Razr Hawk driver would be mine. The main thing that has sold me is what you say about bad swings not being punished. My driver set up is pretty tight and I can swing pretty bad and still stay in the fairway, but I'd like a driver that didn't punish me so bad with distance loss on off centre hits. I honestly think that with the right loft and shaft every new driver is going to peform the same on centre hits, the real difference is how well they perform on bad swings.

P.S. I note you got yours in 10.5. You may find that the extra loft is the reason you liked the club so much. I was hitting 9 and 9.5 drivers for a few months there and getting what I thought were good results, but after going back to the Powerbilt at 10.5, I'm hitting it longer and straighter than before. I think 10.5 with a solid shaft is the operfect combo for me, it gets the extra height which for me means much longer carry and longer overall distance.
    I thought about that. I also wondered whether somehow I've morphed from doing best with a mid-kickpoint to a low after maybe 7-8 years of mid. Still, there were others at the demo who had the same stupid, disbelieving look on their faces I did. But I don't care. I want what I found on the range with that club during the demo, period. If it somehow never shows up again, I'll cherish the 15 minutes I had and maybe start talking to myself.

If Callaway really believes they have a game changer, they'd be smart to discount now to get some of them out there, thinking it will drive future sales. I got mine for alot less than list price.
    GR lives...

I thought about that. I also wondered whether somehow I've morphed from doing best with a mid-kickpoint to a low after maybe 7-8 years of mid. Still, there were others at the demo who had the same stupid, disbelieving look on their faces I did. But I don't care. I want what I found on the range with that club during the demo, period. If it somehow never shows up again, I'll cherish the 15 minutes I had and maybe start talking to myself.

If Callaway really believes they have a game changer, they'd be smart to discount now to get some of them out there, thinking it will drive future sales. I got mine for alot less than list price.
    I've found that there are always discounts on some Cally model. They have lost their dominance so can no longer demand top dollar without compromising like they did back in late 90s when $800 GBBs were walking out the door. You would have to say that the best thing about technology and ebay is the drop in price of equipment. Now you can get top shelf drivers for under $300, and if you shop around there is always some shop selling their house sepcials for less than you would even pay on ebay.

I've found that there are always discounts on some Cally model. They have lost their dominance so can no longer demand top dollar without compromising like they did back in late 90s when $800 GBBs were walking out the door. You would have to say that the best thing about technology and ebay is the drop in price of equipment. Now you can get top shelf drivers for under $300, and if you shop around there is always some shop selling their house sepcials for less than you would even pay on ebay.
    I think it's pretty funny that you're searching for the negative while I search for the positive.
    GR lives...

I think it's pretty funny that you're searching for the negative while I search for the positive.
    I'm trying hard to talk myself out of getting one. You're not helping.

I'm trying hard to talk myself out of getting one. You're not helping.
    I understand. Look, it's possible it was a one time thing. I have had a few one time things.
    GR lives...

I have to agree with NaH. I've been playing the Mizuno MX-700 for a year now and am starting to get curious as to how a Taylormade or PING might play. It is causing the Ho itch to start in again . . . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

That probably means that a 13* would be even better! Of course, Edgey and I have tried to convince you guys of this for about 2 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    That probably means that a 13* would be even better! Of course, Edgey and I have tried to convince you guys of this for about 2 years now.
    I had an 11.5 for a while, but that really did go too high and not as long. I think there is a limit to how much loft is beneficial. If you go too high, you will probably hit more fairways, but not be as far dwon. I think for me 10.5 is about right. I'm getting a good ball flight and maximum distance with my current set up. I'm sure a good clubfitter (not talking Pro Status here, I'm talking a real fitter) could get better results, but I'm happy with I'm getting now.

I had a hit of the Hawk today. It was my mates and was a 10.5 with a stock aldila reg. My first impressions were positive, especially on three points. Firstly it felt well balanced to swing and very smooth to hit. The face felt very lively even though COR must be the same as other current drivers. The impact sound was solid and pleasant.
    At set up it looks very similar to the FT drivers with the composite body joined to the face.
    Perhaps it was the shaft but it felt like a driver that would produce good results when hit smoothly at about 80%. If you went after a drive the results were a bit erratic. I didn't hit too many balls but it seemed quite forgiving. All in all it felt very good but I don't think the performance was any better than my cobra S2.

Zo, it's about time you started seeing things my way. This is your first step away from golf nerdism. Results are what matters. The rest of the stuff about kickpoints, torque, etc. are invented to distract from the truth; trust what you see and feel.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    I had a hit of the Hawk today. It was my mates and was a 10.5 with a stock aldila reg. My first impressions were positive, especially on three points. Firstly it felt well balanced to swing and very smooth to hit. The face felt very lively even though COR must be the same as other current drivers. The impact sound was solid and pleasant.
    At set up it looks very similar to the FT drivers with the composite body joined to the face.
    Perhaps it was the shaft but it felt like a driver that would produce good results when hit smoothly at about 80%. If you went after a drive the results were a bit erratic. I didn't hit too many balls but it seemed quite forgiving. All in all it felt very good but I don't think the performance was any better than my cobra S2.
    The Cobra S2s can now be found for $100 in great shape. Tell me what you like about it, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Zo, it's about time you started seeing things my way. This is your first step away from golf nerdism. Results are what matters. The rest of the stuff about kickpoints, torque, etc. are invented to distract from the truth; trust what you see and feel.
    This could be the growing influence of my other. It goes way beyond Yin and Yang, stretching out to hidden forces of the universe. The eyes narrow so they can feel as much as see. We must have been given instincts, and for some of us the presence of Chinese women, for a reason. Ever since Marco Polo experienced sex in China, it's been like that.
    GR lives...

Seriously? This might force me to also get an S2. Although it isn't as aerodynamic, nor designed by Lamborghini. Actually, I'm going to ignore this, chalking it up to defensiveness over one's own equipment, which as we've seen is quite natural.

It may have been the shaft, I tend to swing the driver smoothly but went after some also. I couldn't get the demo to be erratic to the point where I found it ridiculous.
    GR lives...

I don't know what "stock Aldila" means but I always like Aldila NV green shaft. This green NV is very responsive and very good for my swing... Maybe what you feel is 90%due to the shaft and 10% due to new head... I like my TEE and GBB II drivers, I have 3 GBB II (415cc/10* system 60 R-flex, 380cc/11* system 60 R-flex and 380cc/12* system 60 A-flex). If anything, I may want to reshaft the 10* with the Aldila NVS R-flex... other than that I like them all and no plan to change driver anytime soon...

Seriously? This might force me to also get an S2. Although it isn't as aerodynamic, nor designed by Lamborghini. Actually, I'm going to ignore this, chalking it up to defensiveness over one's own equipment, which as we've seen is quite natural.

It may have been the shaft, I tend to swing the driver smoothly but went after some also. I couldn't get the demo to be erratic to the point where I found it ridiculous.
    I would get the S3. I've heard it's better to have an odd number for your driver name. It's Ok to have an even number in loft but never in name. I guess I'm stating the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I would get the S3. I've heard it's better to have an odd number for your driver name. It's Ok to have an even number in loft but never in name. I guess I'm stating the obvious.
    Hmm....most Titleist drivers have had odd numbers. They shook things up by going even with their current driver line-up.

I'm still trying to figure out what effect the name Razr Hawk will have on my life. First I need to figure out what it means. I'm hoping Razr isn't being used as a verb because then I'd have a driver that stood for mutilating raptors.

I think what it means, and yes this could be self-serving, is it's like a bird that flies so aggressively it could shave the hair off your face, even from a distance. If it turned out I no longer have to shave by using the driver regularly, then all the better.

There's a hawk's nest in a tall tree next to one of the holes I frequently play. If the first time I use the driver on that hole, the ball hooks and hits and kills a hawk in that nest I guess I shouldn't be completely surprised.
    GR lives...

Hmm....most Titleist drivers have had odd numbers. They shook things up by going even with their current driver line-up.

I'm still trying to figure out what effect the name Razr Hawk will have on my life. First I need to figure out what it means. I'm hoping Razr isn't being used as a verb because then I'd have a driver that stood for mutilating raptors.

I think what it means, and yes this could be self-serving, is it's like a bird that flies so aggressively it could shave the hair off your face, even from a distance. If it turned out I no longer have to shave by using the driver regularly, then all the better.

There's a hawk's nest in a tall tree next to one of the holes I frequently play. If the first time I use the driver on that hole, the ball hooks and hits and kills a hawk in that nest I guess I shouldn't be completely surprised.
    I wonder if Ben Hogan would have appreciated Callaway using the name Hawk for their driver. I don't think he would have liked it at all.

It's Razr because it splits fairways?

I looked at the driver this weekend. I only looked because they didn't have it in LH'ed. I asked my fitter about it and he shrugged with a response of "it's a callaway." That said I like my FT-5 and the Razr looked very similar at address.

Honestly who cares if anyone else likes it. If it fits your swing and it's long then you've go a good driver.

I tried one of the new taylormade white headed fairway woods. It felt pretty solid. The fitter asked what I thought and I responded "if it was black I might buy one but this white driver shiat is ugly." But they're flying out the door so what do I know.

Zo, just grip it, and rip it.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    It's Razr because it splits fairways?

I looked at the driver this weekend. I only looked because they didn't have it in LH'ed. I asked my fitter about it and he shrugged with a response of "it's a callaway." That said I like my FT-5 and the Razr looked very similar at address.

Honestly who cares if anyone else likes it. If it fits your swing and it's long then you've go a good driver.

I tried one of the new taylormade white headed fairway woods. It felt pretty solid. The fitter asked what I thought and I responded "if it was black I might buy one but this white driver shiat is ugly." But they're flying out the door so what do I know.

Zo, just grip it, and rip it.
    Absolutely. I'm more attracted to things off the beaten path anyways. So far I've had the most fun 15 minutes hitting a driver I've ever had. If the club turns out to suck, well then I'll chalk it up to a convergence of things that just happened to produce 15 minutes of bliss. We've all had amazing moments in golf that may never be recaptured.

It matters not if people hate my clubs. FD's been s.hitting all over both of my sets of irons since the day he arrived and I remain unphased.

The early season numbers on the Zits (white-headed clubs) are amazing. I have a couple of friends with the R-11 driver and they seem to love it. Personally, I think it's guys tapping into their feminine side, like getting a matching purse. But for those of you who might get one, care not if others see matching purse, what matters is whether you like your matching purse.

The three wood does seem really solid, almost like a Titleist.
    GR lives...

The Cobra S2s can now be found for $100 in great shape. Tell me what you like about it, please.
    No worries Sooner. Firstly it is a great looking driver. All black pvd finish. Graphics on the sole are nice also. The face length and height are a nice proportion too; not chubby like Callaway and others.
    It is an adjustable head, screw in shaft, which is very easy to adjust and is simple having only open, neutral or closed setting.
    The impact sound is not too loud as were some previous cobra models. It sounds and feels solid and is forgiving but still with good feedback. I briefly had a cally ft9 and it was very forgiving also but you couldn't tell where you hit the ball on the face, not so with the cobra.
    Ball flight is good but personally I wouldn't use one more than 9.5 degrees. It would go too high. Distance is also very good for me. All my regular playing partners reckon I am hitting it 10 meters further than my 905r.
    Funnily enough when i first bought it it had the stock fuji stiff shaft in it. I hated it!! I tried it several times on the range but it never made it to the bag as I could not get any decent results. I was just about to list it on ebay when i was talking to a mate at the club and he had a cobra ZL with a stock aldila reg shaft that was no good for him. We swapped shafts,( so easy, screw out, screw in) and the difference was amazing. Since then it hasn't left the bag.

Absolutely. I'm more attracted to things off the beaten path anyways. So far I've had the most fun 15 minutes hitting a driver I've ever had. If the club turns out to suck, well then I'll chalk it up to a convergence of things that just happened to produce 15 minutes of bliss. We've all had amazing moments in golf that may never be recaptured.

It matters not if people hate my clubs. FD's been s.hitting all over both of my sets of irons since the day he arrived and I remain unphased.

The early season numbers on the Zits (white-headed clubs) are amazing. I have a couple of friends with the R-11 driver and they seem to love it. Personally, I think it's guys tapping into their feminine side, like getting a matching purse. But for those of you who might get one, care not if others see matching purse, what matters is whether you like your matching purse.

Lorenzo, I don't even know what irons you play. I thought you played the KZG ZO Blades. I've always said great things about those. I think it's silly to play them but they are great looking clubs and feel wonderful when hit properly. As far as any other clubs you play I have no idea except for your latest Razr driver purchase.

No worries Sooner. Firstly it is a great looking driver. All black pvd finish. Graphics on the sole are nice also. The face length and height are a nice proportion too; not chubby like Callaway and others.
    It is an adjustable head, screw in shaft, which is very easy to adjust and is simple having only open, neutral or closed setting.
    The impact sound is not too loud as were some previous cobra models. It sounds and feels solid and is forgiving but still with good feedback. I briefly had a cally ft9 and it was very forgiving also but you couldn't tell where you hit the ball on the face, not so with the cobra.
    Ball flight is good but personally I wouldn't use one more than 9.5 degrees. It would go too high. Distance is also very good for me. All my regular playing partners reckon I am hitting it 10 meters further than my 905r.
    Funnily enough when i first bought it it had the stock fuji stiff shaft in it. I hated it!! I tried it several times on the range but it never made it to the bag as I could not get any decent results. I was just about to list it on ebay when i was talking to a mate at the club and he had a cobra ZL with a stock aldila reg shaft that was no good for him. We swapped shafts,( so easy, screw out, screw in) and the difference was amazing. Since then it hasn't left the bag.
    OP, you're tempting me.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    Lorenzo, I don't even know what irons you play. I thought you played the KZG ZO Blades. I've always said great things about those. I think it's silly to play them but they are great looking clubs and feel wonderful when hit properly. As far as any other clubs you play I have no idea except for your latest Razr driver purchase.
    Indirectly as I'm a blades man. No worries, back and forth dissing of equipment is one of the things I like about GR. Each of us should bag whatever we like. That includes you and your girlie Pings.
    GR lives...

This thread has sparked my interest in drivers again. Last night I went to the club and they had ex demo S2's they were selling half price. There hadn't been much interest in them so they were brand new, hadn't been hit. Unfortunately I have been away the last two weekends and hadn't seen these at the club. After reading your post I decided they would be worth trying but got there last night and the last one had just been sold and the only one left was left handed.

Hmmm... bummer!

Now where the f#ck am I?

I'm going next week to try some drivers out and the R 11 will definitely be one of the models I will try out. I also want to try out the Superfast 2.0 model as it is getting rave reviews as well. I'm thinking the white head will go great with my golf sandals.

I will be hitting a Razr Hawk, too.

It is with no surprise but much disappointment that I haven't been able to recapture my demo day magic with the Callaway. I've only played it a couple of rounds but I'm swinging it poorly. I should have walked away with the demo instead of waiting for a new club. I suspect the demo shaft fit me well while the one I got doesn't, despite having the same specs. That's just the way it is with cheap OEM shafts and their inherent inconsistency.

But I'm going to work with this one for a while, searching for a repeat of those first 20 minutes on the range. Tomorrow my shaft guy's coming by so I can try a few aftermarkets.
    GR lives...

I'm going next week to try some drivers out and the R 11 will definitely be one of the models I will try out. I also want to try out the Superfast 2.0 model as it is getting rave reviews as well. I'm thinking the white head will go great with my golf sandals.

I will be hitting a Razr Hawk, too.
    I have to admit I really like the look of the new Taylormade Drivers and the person in charge of design should get an award for the color choice because it's so distinguished from other clubs when your watching a tournament on TV. I tried the 2.0 irons indoors only and thought they felt harsh (and I'm a cast club guy). You know what, I just saw your smiley. You have to love sarcasm.

It is with no surprise but much disappointment that I haven't been able to recapture my demo day magic with the Callaway. I've only played it a couple of rounds but I'm swinging it poorly. I should have walked away with the demo instead of waiting for a new club. I suspect the demo shaft fit me well while the one I got doesn't, despite having the same specs. That's just the way it is with cheap OEM shafts and their inherent inconsistency.

But I'm going to work with this one for a while, searching for a repeat of those first 20 minutes on the range. Tomorrow my shaft guy's coming by so I can try a few aftermarkets.
    I've heard that from several people that the same shaft specs can feel quite different even with the same driver head.

Just reading about all of the struggles you guys seem to constantly have with getting a good driver in your hands, I am really starting to think that I must have won the lottery when I picked up my R580XD.

This clubhead/stock shaft combo works near flawlessly for me, I really can't see how I could improve the results I get from it. It's long, it's straight, it has a penetrating trajectory... but enough about me.

I will literally not be replacing this driver until it bites the dust and something breaks. I'm not even TEMPTED to try any of the new drivers on the market.

I guess I've reached driver nirvana. I hope that someday, the rest of you are fortunate enough to reach your own driver nirvana as well.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature
    Just reading about all of the struggles you guys seem to constantly have with getting a good driver in your hands, I am really starting to think that I must have won the lottery when I picked up my R580XD.

This clubhead/stock shaft combo works near flawlessly for me, I really can't see how I could improve the results I get from it. It's long, it's straight, it has a penetrating trajectory... but enough about me.

I will literally not be replacing this driver until it bites the dust and something breaks. I'm not even TEMPTED to try any of the new drivers on the market.

I guess I've reached driver nirvana. I hope that someday, the rest of you are fortunate enough to reach your own driver nirvana as well.

FON
    Some can hit the driver well but for others it's a weakness. I don't really think I'll find a club that transforms me while for those that excel there are probably plenty that will work well.
    GR lives...

I remember back in the days before club fiting, pros would get a bunch of drivers sent to them at the range, and the pro would keep trying them all til they got one they liked, and would keep that driver, not get one made up with the same specs. Pros back then were smart enough to know that you could get 2 clubs with the same specs which would not perform the same, and would only use the exact club they had trialled on the range. You definitely should have insisted on buying the demo club you hit or none at all.

I remember back in the days before club fiting, pros would get a bunch of drivers sent to them at the range, and the pro would keep trying them all til they got one they liked, and would keep that driver, not get one made up with the same specs. Pros back then were smart enough to know that you could get 2 clubs with the same specs which would not perform the same, and would only use the exact club they had trialled on the range. You definitely should have insisted on buying the demo club you hit or none at all.
    No question. But at least now I can blame the difference between the one I had and the one I have. I seem to be doing that alot lately.
    GR lives...

I guess I'm still looking for that ONE driver that will answer all my problems. Some days I hit my Mizuno MX 700 well and some days I do not. It was the same for the NIKE Sasquatch I use to have.

There is one flaw or tendency I have that has been consistent throughout all my driver swings -- a fade to slice. If the wind is not too strong, I fade the ball nicely. If the wind really whips up (which is more likely here in Oklahoma), it will simply emphasize the spin on the ball and all of a sudden I am faced with a slice on my hands. I have tried swings that will help to initiate a draw, but my swing always goes back to the fade. Some of the guys I play with really like my fade drive, but I do not. It is a lot easier to depend on a straighter ball and you can always get more roll out on a straighter to draw spin.

The R 11 has some adjustments on it that might help to produce a straighter drive. That is why I would like to try it out. I have also read where the Burner Superfast 2.0 has been weighted for a draw tendency. So I would like to check it out as well.

I have played drivers with a stiff shaft (NIKE) and now have one with a regular shaft (Mizuno) and both shafts have produced the same fade tendency. There is suppose to be a big DEMO day at the University course on April 12th and I may go down and have them evaluate my problems and see if they can get me connected with what I want and need.

I guess I'm still looking for that ONE driver that will answer all my problems. Some days I hit my Mizuno MX 700 well and some days I do not. It was the same for the NIKE Sasquatch I use to have.

There is one flaw or tendency I have that has been consistent throughout all my driver swings -- a fade to slice. If the wind is not too strong, I fade the ball nicely. If the wind really whips up (which is more likely here in Oklahoma), it will simply emphasize the spin on the ball and all of a sudden I am faced with a slice on my hands. I have tried swings that will help to initiate a draw, but my swing always goes back to the fade. Some of the guys I play with really like my fade drive, but I do not. It is a lot easier to depend on a straighter ball and you can always get more roll out on a straighter to draw spin.

The R 11 has some adjustments on it that might help to produce a straighter drive. That is why I would like to try it out. I have also read where the Burner Superfast 2.0 has been weighted for a draw tendency. So I would like to check it out as well.

I have played drivers with a stiff shaft (NIKE) and now have one with a regular shaft (Mizuno) and both shafts have produced the same fade tendency. There is suppose to be a big DEMO day at the University course on April 12th and I may go down and have them evaluate my problems and see if they can get me connected with what I want and need.
    This is me. I was at the range yesterday alternating b'ween 7i and driver. 7i nice straight ball flight. Etc.....Driver.... fade, slice....wtf. So theres a pretty good stick a couple stalls down from me and I ask him to take a look from DNL and tell me if I am doing anything different in the swings. I then hit a few 7i and driver....

He immediately tells me that my driver swing, my shoulders are too flat on the backswing and I am simply unwinding them on the downswing...AKA OTT. 7i my backswing my right shoulder is lower than my left (remember im a lefty so reverse everything sooner).

So I hit more driver trying to point my right shoulder more down at towards the ball on the backswing. Remember, take 1 pill, not the entire bottle of medicine. (lol-a little Pennick for you)

Bingo. Worked for me.

Maybe try it. Just an idea.

G luck.

This is me. I was at the range yesterday alternating b'ween 7i and driver. 7i nice straight ball flight. Etc.....Driver.... fade, slice....wtf. So theres a pretty good stick a couple stalls down from me and I ask him to take a look from DNL and tell me if I am doing anything different in the swings. I then hit a few 7i and driver....

He immediately tells me that my driver swing, my shoulders are too flat on the backswing and I am simply unwinding them on the downswing...AKA OTT. 7i my backswing my right shoulder is lower than my left (remember im a lefty so reverse everything sooner).

So I hit more driver trying to point my right shoulder more down at towards the ball on the backswing. Remember, take 1 pill, not the entire bottle of medicine. (lol-a little Pennick for you)

Bingo. Worked for me.

Maybe try it. Just an idea.

G luck.
    I have a tried a little bit of everything, including taking a dump position (everybody laughs, but I got my best results from that position, but, alas, we DO need to look cool while golfing, too). My natural, comfortable swing -- where I do not have to do any thinking during the backswing -- is the fade. I guess I'm getting older and lazy, but if I can buy a driver that will fix my problem without me trying to have to do more thinking during my swing, I'd rather do that instead.

I have a tried a little bit of everything, including taking a dump position (everybody laughs, but I got my best results from that position, but, alas, we DO need to look cool while golfing, too). My natural, comfortable swing -- where I do not have to do any thinking during the backswing -- is the fade. I guess I'm getting older and lazy, but if I can buy a driver that will fix my problem without me trying to have to do more thinking during my swing, I'd rather do that instead.
    Actually, the entire game can be worked on from this position! Who knew????

Actually, the entire game can be worked on from this position! Who knew????

I always thought I was innovative and and way ahead of my time. Now, I know.

Met with my clubfitter yesterday and he thinks the set-up is too light and throwing my swing off. When he got to the range he looked at me funny and asked why in the hell I'd take the D3 out of my bag. So I let him hit the CRH a few times. He looked at me wide-eyed and said that he now understood and needed to find me a shaft.

The first one I'm going to try is an Accra. The shaft not the car. Have one in my three wood which I've pretty much always swung well.

I asked him what the hottest shaft is right now and he said this one which for $400 could be yours:

UST Mamiya Attas

GR lives...

That would make your driver alone nearly $1,000. Personally, I don't think a driver is worth that amount of money. But, then again, I don't think wedges are worth $600, either.

I'm going to be purchasing a new driver within the next couple of weeks, so I'm taking all of this in.
    What have you got in mind so far, dickless

Edgey

That would make your driver alone nearly $1,000. Personally, I don't think a driver is worth that amount of money. But, then again, I don't think wedges are worth $600, either.

I'm going to be purchasing a new driver within the next couple of weeks, so I'm taking all of this in.
    If I competed I'd get that shaft based on what the fitter had to say and his experience with what works for my swing. But I'm going for one that costs half. That would bring the total cost to $500. Still exorbitant but less than for a good wedge. To recapture my range experience I may very well end up getting soaked.
    GR lives...

Met with my clubfitter yesterday and he thinks the set-up is too light and throwing my swing off. When he got to the range he looked at me funny and asked why in the hell I'd take the D3 out of my bag. So I let him hit the CRH a few times. He looked at me wide-eyed and said that he now understood and needed to find me a shaft.

The first one I'm going to try is an Accra. The shaft not the car. Have one in my three wood which I've pretty much always swung well.

I asked him what the hottest shaft is right now and he said this one which for $400 could be yours:

UST Mamiya Attas

If you are demoing drivers don't ignore the new Cleveland offerings. i've heard good things about the TL310. i am demoing it next week in fact.

If you are demoing drivers don't ignore the new Cleveland offerings. i've heard good things about the TL310. i am demoing it next week in fact.
    I demoed the XL270 and the SL290 on Friday night. Hard to compare without my old trusty there side by side with them. They are all raving about the new Miyazaki shafts but I didn't really think I was getting anymore out of these new offerings compared to my trusty old 2004 Launcher with the stock Fujikara Gold shaft.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I'll do that.

Well, had this shaft installed on the Razr Hawk.

Accra Shaft

Had a pretty good driving day today. Once again I'm stoked about this driver. A little longer and way easier to split a fairway. I'm hoping to gain distance after a few more rounds with it.

Accra Shaft

Had a pretty good driving day today. Once again I'm stoked about this driver. A little longer and way easier to split a fairway. I'm hoping to gain distance after a few more rounds with it.
    Sweet. I'm a week away from demo day. I hope to have a similar experience.

Sweet. I'm a week away from demo day. I hope to have a similar experience.
    You better wear Depends in case your experience is anything like mine.

Accra Shaft

That's a low torque shaft loz. Should be able to go after it if you want. I did a driver fitting last week. Tried the 910d2 and d3, cobra s3, cleveland 290 and tl310 and quite a few others. I was little surprised when the ping g15 with a aldila serano gave me the best numbers by far. It blew everything else away for distance and accuracy on the LM. Might have to have a go at this club.

That's a low torque shaft loz. Should be able to go after it if you want. I did a driver fitting last week. Tried the 910d2 and d3, cobra s3, cleveland 290 and tl310 and quite a few others. I was little surprised when the ping g15 with a aldila serano gave me the best numbers by far. It blew everything else away for distance and accuracy on the LM. Might have to have a go at this club.
    How did you find the Clevelands?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    How did you find the Clevelands?
    Very good. Quite light feeling but well balanced. Shaft felt smooth and very stable. Gave me good distance and launch angle was ok but the dispertion was not as good as others. It was going right a little too much. Might have something to do with the face being open 2 degrees. for me it rated 3rd after the g15 and the cobra s3. Even so it felt a very good stick.

Very good. Quite light feeling but well balanced. Shaft felt smooth and very stable. Gave me good distance and launch angle was ok but the dispertion was not as good as others. It was going right a little too much. Might have something to do with the face being open 2 degrees. for me it rated 3rd after the g15 and the cobra s3. Even so it felt a very good stick.
    Thanks OP that sounds pretty good. I'm kind of loyal to Cleveland as I still haven't really found anything that works better for me than the trusty old Launcher 460 but the other reason is that in NZ at least Cleveland products are significantly cheaper than the other major OEM's particularly brands like Callaway & Ping. Taylormade are up there too with their latest stuff but you only have to wait a few months before they start discounting.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I figured going from the D3 with its open face to one that's neutral and prone to drawing the ball I better get something really stable to avoid the dreaded 40 yard draw. So far I'm not really letting it go as I'm cautiously getting used to it.

I play with a guy who's had almost everything and he just kills the G15/serano. I have one with a Motore and it isn't exactly feel set-up but it very well might be the shaft.

There are really some good large company drivers out there now between the G15, R11, Razr Hawk and 910.

I figured going from the D3 with its open face to one that's neutral and prone to drawing the ball I better get something really stable to avoid the dreaded 40 yard draw. So far I'm not really letting it go as I'm cautiously getting used to it.

I play with a guy who's had almost everything and he just kills the G15/serano. I have one with a Motore and it isn't exactly feel set-up but it very well might be the shaft.

There are really some good large company drivers out there now between the G15, R11, Razr Hawk and 910.
    There is a demo day this weekend (4/9) and I hope to hit a Razr Hawk to see how I like it.

Yes I would agree w/ your statement about there being alot of good offerings out there right now.

I get the feeling that Ping may well be the easiest to hit drivers out there. I've only ever had one decent demo with one (G10 10.5 with stock regular) head to head against the Powerbilt and I have to admit the Ping seemed more forgiving and felt a bit better. It may have just felt softer cause of the shaft though, so I can't be sure. Distance and accuracy wise the G10 could not be faulted, even with the softer shaft. I'd love to hit one with the Pershing 75 stiff in 10.5.

I get the feeling that Ping may well be the easiest to hit drivers out there. I've only ever had one decent demo with one (G10 10.5 with stock regular) head to head against the Powerbilt and I have to admit the Ping seemed more forgiving and felt a bit better. It may have just felt softer cause of the shaft though, so I can't be sure. Distance and accuracy wise the G10 could not be faulted, even with the softer shaft. I'd love to hit one with the Pershing 75 stiff in 10.5.
    The g15 is supposed to be the most forgiving of all the recent models. The serano is also a different beast from the ping tfc. Launches the ball lower. Thet shaft with the 10.5 was fine for me. I usually don't use anything higher than 9.5. the serano has 4.0 torque, even in regular, while the ping tfc has 5.3!

Whoever ends up demoing the Callaway, and other drivers for that matter, I've been teeing it up really high with the Razr as I've found the best results that way. So varying tee heights while demoing may be helpful for some of you.

This shouldn't be surprising at all. Typical Ping results.

Thread Information