|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Caved in club faces

Is there a way to tell when an iron set (GFF) is no longer playable? I am looking for a cheap set of 32's to use on the range. I know i could just use Pings and never have to worry about those perimeter weighted cockroaches, but i need the feel and playability of a real golf club.

Quote Originally Posted by ripit35
    Is there a way to tell when an iron set (GFF) is no longer playable? I am looking for a cheap set of 32's to use on the range. I know i could just use Pings and never have to worry about those perimeter weighted cockroaches, but i need the feel and playability of a real golf club.
    I really doubt that there are many club sets out there that are being sold that you absolutely couldn't play because their faces are wore off. I have a used set of MP-33s I bought off the internet over a year ago and the chrome is wore off the sweet spot (already done before I got them I am sad to say). They almost have an image of being a bit "caved in" as you have described, but in all actuality, they have simply had the chrome wore off. They play great and this does not affect any part of the playability of the club.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

GFF are always playable for practice. Even for play, rust spots in the sweet spot are no big deal. I've seen heaps of pros on the pro am circuit with golf ball sized rust spots right in the centre of the sweet spot on th shorter irons. I actually think it's a bit of a badge of honour, and also that when they find a set of sticks they like they keep them in the bag. Pros change wedges all the time cause they wear them out with all the practice and need sharp grooves for wedges as they are scoring clubs, but you will find some pros hang on to their irons for years, especially a set of forged blades they like.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I've got a small 6" steel machinist's ruler that comes in handy for all sorts of stuff including acting as a reliable straight edge. Take an iron and lay a good straight edge across the face on the vertical axis. The flat edge should lie flush against the face since irons do not feature the bulge and roll that woods and hybrids have. It would take a whole lot more that hitting a million Rock Flites with a forged carbon steel blade to bash the face in. Woods and the hollow choppers' irons are a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    I really doubt that there are many club sets out there that are being sold that you absolutely couldn't play because their faces are wore off. I have a used set of MP-33s I bought off the internet over a year ago and the chrome is wore off the sweet spot (already done before I got them I am sad to say). They almost have an image of being a bit "caved in" as you have described, but in all actuality, they have simply had the chrome wore off. They play great and this does not affect any part of the playability of the club.
    there are sets on ebay with 3/10 condition and the description says club faces may be worn out and not have a flat surface. i wouldnt buy one of these sets, but is there any evidence that forged groove edges wear out faster than cast? i've personally gone through several Mizuno wedges and had to regroove them several times

there are sets on ebay with 3/10 condition and the description says club faces may be worn out and not have a flat surface. i wouldnt buy one of these sets, but is there any evidence that forged groove edges wear out faster than cast? i've personally gone through several Mizuno wedges and had to regroove them several times
    I personally don't think you could ever wear out a set of cast irons like PINGS. However, you also sacrifice feel with the cast irons despite what some on here think.

Like NaH said, wedges are a different beast in that they are hit more than your other irons and they wear out easier. But, yes, forged irons will wear out eventually.

I think the chrome wear on your 32s gives the illusion of the club being concave in that area when in reality the face is perfectly flat. Since you don't want to score well, you should continue to use your forged blades that none of the pros use anymore, even the best iron player on the PGA Tour, Luke Donald, uses cavity back irons. Be that as it may, I understand that ego is a powerful thing and often drives men to do things that are not in their best interest. So, with that, carry on with your forged blades. We all admire your conviction and adherence to your misguided goal.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I think the chrome wear on your 32s gives the illusion of the club being concave in that area when in reality the face is perfectly flat. Since you don't want to score well, you should continue to use your forged blades that none of the pros use anymore, even the best iron player on the PGA Tour, Luke Donald, uses cavity back irons. Be that as it may, I understand that ego is a powerful thing and often drives men to do things that are not in their best interest. So, with that, carry on with your forged blades. We all admire your conviction and adherence to your misguided goal.
    It is hard for me to see the MP-62 as a typical "cavity back." Too many people want to throw it into that category, but if you ever hit it, you'll find out it is closer to being a blade than a cavity back. If you want to throw the MP-52 into the cavity back category, I'll agree with you, although they are not GI cavity backs.

Also, Luke Donald played MP-33s and MP-32s before his foray into the MP-62s. So, his learning stages started with blades. Ripit35 wants to improve his golf swing by using some 32s off the range. He wants to "improve" his golf swing, NOT cover up the flaws by using a GI iron. I applaud his efforts since this is precisely how I improved my game.

http://www.golfmagic.com/equipment-n...o-go/8501.html

It is hard for me to see the MP-62 as a typical "cavity back." Too many people want to throw it into that category, but if you ever hit it, you'll find out it is closer to being a blade than a cavity back. If you want to throw the MP-52 into the cavity back category, I'll agree with you, although they are not GI cavity backs.

Also, Luke Donald played MP-33s and MP-32s before his foray into the MP-62s. So, his learning stages started with blades. Ripit35 wants to improve his golf swing by using some 32s off the range. He wants to "improve" his golf swing, NOT cover up the flaws by using a GI iron. I applaud his efforts since this is precisely how I improved my game.
    And now that Luke Donald is playing MP-62 irons he's winning tournaments and almost won a major. GI irons don't cover up golf swing errors, they simply provide for less twisting at impact when the ball isn't hit dead center. Since none of us are pros we are going to miss the sweet spot several times throughout any given round. Why not have some forgiveness so the ball can make the green instead of going into a trap?

By the way, I'm talking about perimeter weighted irons meant for petter players with little offset. I'm not talking about Callaway X-22 irons or Taylormade Burners. Those irons can lead to sloppy fundamentals and I agree they aren't suited for the better player.

I applaud your practicing with real golf clubs. There may be fairies that rationalize away their importance, but, well, they're fairies.

Go for flat faces and average to above average condition. Though the question I'd ask is what is the cost difference betwee the 3-s and the 5-7-s?

And now that Luke Donald is playing MP-62 irons he's winning tournaments and almost won a major. GI irons don't cover up golf swing errors, they simply provide for less twisting at impact when the ball isn't hit dead center. Since none of us are pros we are going to miss the sweet spot several times throughout any given round. Why not have some forgiveness so the ball can make the green instead of going into a trap?

By the way, I'm talking about perimeter weighted irons meant for petter players with little offset. I'm not talking about Callaway X-22 irons or Taylormade Burners. Those irons can lead to sloppy fundamentals and I agree they aren't suited for the better player.
    Depends how you define the 'better player'. Edgey plays Ping K15's which are more chunky than the Callaway X-22 irons or Taylormade Burners. I would almost classify them as SGI shovels yet he shoots in the 70's on a regular basis. Does that make him 'the better player' meaning he should be bagging the Ping S56 instead of the K15s?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

i played blades most of my golfing life up till 3 years ago when i got a set of x-20
    carried a 0 handicap in high school years with blades but i am glade i got the x-20 now
    i like the forgivness they have on my miss shots i still can come out good.now at 59 years old i can still play to a 3 with them so if you play blades and can shoot under 80 all the time then carry on.keep it in the fairway hit it long

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Depends how you define the 'better player'. Edgey plays Ping K15's which are more chunky than the Callaway X-22 irons or Taylormade Burners. I would almost classify them as SGI shovels yet he shoots in the 70's on a regular basis. Does that make him 'the better player' meaning he should be bagging the Ping S56 instead of the K15s?
    The phrase "better player" irons is a marketing term designed to appeal to mens egos.

You said it a long time ago Kiwi. NO ONE, BUT NO ONE i have ever played with gives a shite what clubs i play. I have never met anyone at my club who has commented on me playing Ping K15 irons as a single figure handicap golfer. No one has ever commented on me using hybrids instead of traditional 4/5 irons. No one has ever commented on me hitting a 12 degree driver. People have laughed at my Lovett Wedge (but not when they see how i use it) but never as anything other then banter. The only thing that i have ever really found that people do comment on is Long Putters.

If you shoot in the 70's most people have only respect because it is so hard to do consistantly.

It is only on internet forums that anyone gives a shite and since GR only has about a dozen or so regular posters (half of whom reflect the demographics and politics of golf in America) it remains fun, but hardly important.

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    The phrase "better player" irons is a marketing term designed to appeal to mens egos.

You said it a long time ago Kiwi. NO ONE, BUT NO ONE i have ever played with gives a shite what clubs i play. I have never met anyone at my club who has commented on me playing Ping K15 irons as a single figure handicap golfer. No one has ever commented on me using hybrids instead of traditional 4/5 irons. No one has ever commented on me hitting a 12 degree driver. People have laughed at my Lovett Wedge (but not when they see how i use it) but never as anything other then banter. The only thing that i have ever really found that people do comment on is Long Putters.

If you shoot in the 70's most people have only respect because it is so hard to do consistantly.

It is only on internet forums that anyone gives a shite and since GR only has about a dozen or so regular posters (half of whom reflect the demographics and politics of golf in America) it remains fun, but hardly important.

Edgey
    Well stated Edgey. I played with a guy on the weekend, 11 handicap, he was bagging the K15 Driver but not the irons. I think he had the G10 irons. Nobody in the real world gives a flying fuk what equipment you are using unless maybe you have the latest driver and they're thinking of getting it and want to know how you like it. Only obsessed equipment junkies on internet golf forums care about what clubs you play. Golfers in the real world judge you on how you play, not the clubs you play.

BTW my playing partner and I whipped the K15 player and his Callaway FT9 bagging partner 5 & 3 for the beer money! Those Pings are good but they ain't mystical!

Now where the f#ck am I?

Well stated Edgey. I played with a guy on the weekend, 11 handicap, he was bagging the K15 Driver but not the irons. I think he had the G10 irons. Nobody in the real world gives a flying fuk what equipment you are using unless maybe you have the latest driver and they're thinking of getting it and want to know how you like it. Only obsessed equipment junkies on internet golf forums care about what clubs you play. Golfers in the real world judge you on how you play, not the clubs you play.

BTW my playing partner and I whipped the K15 player and his Callaway FT9 bagging partner 5 & 3 for the beer money! Those Pings are good but they ain't mystical!
    Only God and the little baby Jesus are mystical (and Mizuno if you are Sooner )

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I applaud your practicing with real golf clubs. There may be fairies that rationalize away their importance, but, well, they're fairies.

Go for flat faces and average to above average condition. Though the question I'd ask is what is the cost difference betwee the 3-s and the 5-7-s?
    i've been practicing with a MacGregor Tom Weisk???? 4 iron and an old Powerbilt persimmon 3 wood for a couple years now, but the grips are so f'd up now i've trashed them. It's time to move up to a full set of irons, and i am looking at a set of 32's for $100 that would do the job. They have a gross amount of bag chatter so i asked about condition.....

As for GI irons, i play a set on the course, but i also had an extra 6 iron (snake eyes 600c) in the bag that i hit more often than the regular 6. What blades have is a higher COG that allows you to control trajectory. Hitting darts into a green is alot more accurate than chucking it up in the air. For a player that has to factor in wind speed and direction, GI irons fail to deliver. I will eventually move up from the MX's and bag a set of MP's. But my main goal now is improving my ball striking ..

The name of this forum is golfreview and if you check out the reviews almost all of them are for drivers or irons. Given that this is a website for the sole purpose of reviewing and talking about equipment, it stands to reason that we would voice our opinions about golf equipment and that groups would form based on differences of opinion. I'm glad I'm on the right side. The Ping side.

Edgey
    i actually played with a work buddy Sunday who supposedly was a real good golfer, when i saw that he bagged some Cobra GI irons i kinda laughed inside. It's also no surprise that he wanted to get some Pings... he shot a 99, haha.

The name of this forum is golfreview and if you check out the reviews almost all of them are for drivers or irons. Given that this is a website for the sole purpose of reviewing and talking about equipment, it stands to reason that we would voice our opinions about golf equipment and that groups would form based on differences of opinion. I'm glad I'm on the right side. The Ping side.
    In fact GR has little to do with reviewing golf. It is a niche forum that allows a dozen blokes the chance for flaming, trolling, abuse, soft porn, crude language, sexism, racism, xenophobia, stereotyping, religious tirades, ad hominum attacks, crack-pot political posturing, intolerance and general pernicousness without the consequence of an immediate ban.

We are the Millwall FC of golf forums "no one likes us, we dont care"

And the world is a better place for it

Edgey

Edgey
    Or Ping Eye 2s if you are FD!

Now where the f#ck am I?

In fact GR has little to do with reviewing golf. It is a niche forum that allows a dozen blokes the chance for flaming, trolling, abuse, soft porn, crude language, sexism, racism, xenophobia, stereotyping, religious tirades, ad hominum attacks, crack-pot political posturing, intolerance and general pernicousness without the consequence of an immediate ban.

Edgey
    Well put. That almost brought a tear to my eye.

Edgey
    Very good work Edgey. This appears to be a reasonably comprehensive list. Off the top of my head I can't think of anything glaringly obvious that you've missed. If anybody else can think of anything to add that Edgey has missed please do so.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Edgey
    And I thought we were talking about golf and equipment.
    Seriously though there are plenty of gear heads with great knowlege on other forums like WRX but the forums are so large that they are very impersonal. Just thousands of posts with no real personal interaction. That is the great strength of GR. We actually get to know each other, have fun, share our outlooks on life and even get to play golf together!! GR may be a niche forum but that is exactly the thing that makes it the best.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    And I thought we were talking about golf and equipment.
    Seriously though there are plenty of gear heads with great knowlege on other forums like WRX but the forums are so large that they are very impersonal. Just thousands of posts with no real personal interaction. That is the great strength of GR. We actually get to know each other, have fun, share our outlooks on life and even get to play golf together!! GR may be a niche forum but that is exactly the thing that makes it the best.
    Since we never talk equipment on here, I went to Golfmart today (I know, big surprise) and I saw a set of Mizuno MP-60 irons with DG R300 shafts and brand new black and blue Golf Pride Dual Durometer grips. They were only $179 and that seems like a pretty good price. They had some bag chatter but no rusting on the faces. The bag chatter and wear on the sole is much worse than anywhere else. Kind of hard to figure out. They felt good in the cage but the 990 again felt a little better. Oh what to do.

Sometimes the Ego gets into the way of thinking... When Pros play for money, they just worry about how much money they are going to make, not if clubs look good , feel good or give them a feedback... none of that shitttttt

Edgey

POD = Post of the Decade!!

Edgey
    Or, PINGS if you are FD . . . . . . . .

Or, PINGS if you are FD . . . . . . . .
    My other set of Ping Eye 2s just sold on Ebay. Now I'm down to the Ping Eye 2s with KT shafts that I can't stand.

Have you played the Mizuno MP-60 irons? I tried them out today and liked the way they felt. The R300 shaft makes them feel lighter and easier to hit. I really like the setup.

Since we never talk equipment on here, I went to Golfmart today (I know, big surprise) and I saw a set of Mizuno MP-60 irons with DG R300 shafts and brand new black and blue Golf Pride Dual Durometer grips. They were only $179 and that seems like a pretty good price. They had some bag chatter but no rusting on the faces. The bag chatter and wear on the sole is much worse than anywhere else. Kind of hard to figure out. They felt good in the cage but the 990 again felt a little better. Oh what to do.
    I tried the MP-60's a few years ago but veered away from them figuring they were too blade like and therefore too hard to hit.

Anyway a couple of years later out of curiosity I decided to try and get a used set of GFF blades just to see what all the fuss was about and to find out for myself just how tough these are to hit. I ended up finding a mixed set of MP-30 3-5 and MP-33 6-PW with DG S400 shafts. First time out with them I was filled with trepidation about these 'hard to hit' players clubs in the long irons and blades in the mid to short irons. Anyway, long story short I loved them from the start and never really looked back. However I had this nagging feeling that in a true mixed set maybe the blades should only start at about the 7 or 8 iron and that I should also have a CB in the 6 iron. So I picked up an ex demo MP-60 6 iron figuring if I hit it well it could slot into the set nicely.

Well I was wrong. Hitting them side by side on the range I found I hit the MP-33 much better than the MP-60. I don't know why? I tried bagging it for a few rounds but just never liked it. The MP-33 6 iron on the other hand is a lovely club and I feel very confident with it. I do like the MP-30's in the 3-5 irons though and would love to try a full set. That's why I was keen to get a full set of MP-62s. Now I have the Z101's in the bag but haven't really played enough with them to decide if they have earned a permanent place.

So I guess what I am trying to say in a long winded way is that I'm not a fan of the MP-60's.

Now where the f#ck am I?

My other set of Ping Eye 2s just sold on Ebay. Now I'm down to the Ping Eye 2s with KT shafts that I can't stand.

Have you played the Mizuno MP-60 irons? I tried them out today and liked the way they felt. The R300 shaft makes them feel lighter and easier to hit. I really like the setup.
    Only on the range. They are good irons, but they do not have the feel that my MP-67s and 33s have. Actually, I think the 8-PW in the MP-52s are almost identical to the MP-60s. It is only whenever you use the 7-3 irons in the 52s that you have the cut channel and the defined cavity that I think makes them a "true" cavity back iron. I really don't think the MP-60s offer much in way of forgiveness, but their design does take away a bit of the feel.

However, there are many who like them including Luke Donald, so to each their own.

I tried the MP-60's a few years ago but veered away from them figuring they were too blade like and therefore too hard to hit.

Anyway a couple of years later out of curiosity I decided to try and get a used set of GFF blades just to see what all the fuss was about and to find out for myself just how tough these are to hit. I ended up finding a mixed set of MP-30 3-5 and MP-33 6-PW with DG S400 shafts. First time out with them I was filled with trepidation about these 'hard to hit' players clubs in the long irons and blades in the mid to short irons. Anyway, long story short I loved them from the start and never really looked back. However I had this nagging feeling that in a true mixed set maybe the blades should only start at about the 7 or 8 iron and that I should also have a CB in the 6 iron. So I picked up an ex demo MP-60 6 iron figuring if I hit it well it could slot into the set nicely.

Well I was wrong. Hitting them side by side on the range I found I hit the MP-33 much better than the MP-60. I don't know why? I tried bagging it for a few rounds but just never liked it. The MP-33 6 iron on the other hand is a lovely club and I feel very confident with it. I do like the MP-30's in the 3-5 irons though and would love to try a full set. That's why I was keen to get a full set of MP-62s. Now I have the Z101's in the bag but haven't really played enough with them to decide if they have earned a permanent place.

So I guess what I am trying to say in a long winded way is that I'm not a fan of the MP-60's.
    I went to Golf Galaxy and tried 6 irons in the MP-60, the Taylormade R7 TP and Ping S58. The MP-60 was considerably shorter than the R7 TP but I didn't like the look of the latter club. It's so hard to tell indoors because a lot of feel is the sound the club makes. If I buy a Mizuno I think I'll hold out a spend a little more on the MP-62. The problem with Mizuno is that used clubs are still pretty expensive.

Only on the range. They are good irons, but they do not have the feel that my MP-67s and 33s have. Actually, I think the 8-PW in the MP-52s are almost identical to the MP-60s. It is only whenever you use the 7-3 irons in the 52s that you have the cut channel and the defined cavity that I think makes them a "true" cavity back iron. I really don't think the MP-60s offer much in way of forgiveness, but their design does take away a bit of the feel.

However, there are many who like them including Luke Donald, so to each their own.
    I agree with this. They're not really anymore forgiving than a blade you are just giving up the superior feel you get from a blade.

BTW Luke Donald plays the 62s not the 60s.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I know plenty of guys who had the same experience. Maybe the MP 60 was just a dud model, but for whatever reason I've never heard anything good about them.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Edgey
    Not only is all of this completely untrue, it avoids the highly beneficial process of socratizing our essence here. It's akin to leading a joke with the punch line. Or explaining a joke before you tell it. An explanation of some things misses the entire point of it, in the end producing only detraction.

At least I now understand the mindset of those who use Ping and am certain their sex involves no foreplay, only premature ejaculation.

Very disappointed.

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn

I have only purchased one set of irons in 10 years new, and paid, pretty much full retail price. Mp 60s, a little over $600 with satin 5.5 project x shafts, half inch long. They are some the nicest cavity back players clubs I,ve hit. I played them about 4 years. I would say there flag hunters. I hit mid trajectory, draws, that stayed down through the short irons. I would say they gave up nothing in feel. I always wanted to try those with some r300 shafts. I cant stand the kt shaft myself, in some eye 2 +, 2-sw I have laying around.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

I went to Golf Galaxy and tried 6 irons in the MP-60, the Taylormade R7 TP and Ping S58. The MP-60 was considerably shorter than the R7 TP but I didn't like the look of the latter club. It's so hard to tell indoors because a lot of feel is the sound the club makes. If I buy a Mizuno I think I'll hold out a spend a little more on the MP-62. The problem with Mizuno is that used clubs are still pretty expensive.
    The R7 TP 6 iron was probably longer because the head is really a 5 with a 6 embossed on the sole. Compare the lofts of the MP-60 to the R7. Plus, when you take a bunch of metal mass from behind the sweet spot of an iron to make it "more forgiving" on off-centre shots, you rob the club of that extra oomph when the sweet spot is hit. Sort of like the principle behind Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.'s "Harrison Bergeron."

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel
    The R7 TP 6 iron was probably longer because the head is really a 5 with a 6 embossed on the sole. Compare the lofts of the MP-60 to the R7. Plus, when you take a bunch of metal mass from behind the sweet spot of an iron to make it "more forgiving" on off-centre shots, you rob the club of that extra oomph when the sweet spot is hit. Sort of like the principle behind Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.'s "Harrison Bergeron."
    Thanks. I didn't know Harrison Bergeron played R7 TPs.

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn

The 52s have way higher ballflight than the 60s. I would say that your 67s play about like my 37s. Both a signature club. A muscleback. I,m just not a fan of the toe on the 67s as much as the 37s. The 60s rewarded a sharp descending blow, that takes a large divot. The 52s kinda morph at the 7 iron and up.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

i actually played with a work buddy Sunday who supposedly was a real good golfer, when i saw that he bagged some Cobra GI irons i kinda laughed inside. It's also no surprise that he wanted to get some Pings... he shot a 99, haha.
    If he had bagged K15 irons it would have been a 77. This is a fact and is not in dispute.

Carry on

Edgey

Thread Information