|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

What Are These? Staff FG- Mystery Blade?

Golfsmith are selling these for $399 I think so they are a genuine Wilson blade. They were released just after the FG59 collector sets are are identical except for the stamping. The model is at most 2 years old. They have beed superceeded by the FG62. There is not a great deal of demand for better player blades from Wilson as many go for Titleist or Mizzy. These would be great value for money and are forged in China. Reports are they are very soft to hit and perform well. I would not use them for my gamers. Just too small and demanding, but very pretty to own.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Current and apparently being discounted prior to phase-out "Staff Tour Blade." Brand new for $399.99 at Edwin Watts and I assume at other golf mega catalog retailers. Nice looking heads. Funky oversized hosel size like the "Fat Shaft" models.

When I was in Austin for my match with Dave I went to an Edwin Watts and they had that same club but at the time it was $599 brand new. To me, it looked identical to the FG59 irons. Just my two cents, the FG59 iron is the best feeling forged iron I have ever hit at the range. I was smashing the 7 iron longer than anything I've ever hit before. Keep in mind that was on the range and I was getting into a groove. Could be completely different on the course.

On another note, I have taken OP's advice and I found myself a nice set of used Ping Eye 2 irons with the original grips. Now I need to take off the dry peeling grips and replace them. That will be a chore in itself. Even with the horrible grips I took them to the range today and compared them to the Taylormade Tour Burner irons. I used a 7 iron from each set. The Ping Eye 2 feels WAY better, even with the horrible dried out grips. I just can't explain how great Ping Eye 2 irons feel. Crisp, soft and the ball just launches off of the face. I will play them tomorrow and in Vegas. I'm leaning toward the following set up:

Ping Eye 2 irons, 3-SW
    Cobra Baffler Hybrids 2 & 4
    Callaway Hyper X Driver
    Ping Ally Putter or possibly the Ping Nelli
    Callaway Steelhead 3 wood

The Ping Nelli is named after Karsten's late wife. I think it only befitting that I grace the course with such a club.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    When I was in Austin for my match with Dave I went to an Edwin Watts and they had that same club but at the time it was $599 brand new. To me, it looked identical to the FG59 irons. Just my two cents, the FG59 iron is the best feeling forged iron I have ever hit at the range. I was smashing the 7 iron longer than anything I've ever hit before. Keep in mind that was on the range and I was getting into a groove. Could be completely different on the course.

On another note, I have taken OP's advice and I found myself a nice set of used Ping Eye 2 irons with the original grips. Now I need to take off the dry peeling grips and replace them. That will be a chore in itself. Even with the horrible grips I took them to the range today and compared them to the Taylormade Tour Burner irons. I used a 7 iron from each set. The Ping Eye 2 feels WAY better, even with the horrible dried out grips. I just can't explain how great Ping Eye 2 irons feel. Crisp, soft and the ball just launches off of the face. I will play them tomorrow and in Vegas. I'm leaning toward the following set up:

Ping Eye 2 irons, 3-SW
    Callaway Hyper X Driver

The Ping Nelli is named after Karsten's late wife. I think it only befitting that I grace the course with such a club.
    Good move FD. You are on the right track now!!
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Ping Eye 2 irons, 3-SW
    Callaway Hyper X Driver

Imagine that.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Good move FD. You are on the right track now!!
    Don't encourage bad judgment, OP.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Imagine that.
    Hey, I'll play whatever irons work the best for me and this was an honest assessment. I can't help it if my Ping Eye 2s give you the blues. I'm very excited about this new set. Sometimes you get a set of Ping Eye 2s that are void of character. This particular set seems a bit lighthearted with a passive wit. Serious when put in play but rather fun in a social setting. That could have something to do with the grips.

Hey, I'll play whatever irons work the best for me and this was an honest assessment. I can't help it if my Ping Eye 2s give you the blues. I'm very excited about this new set. Sometimes you get a set of Ping Eye 2s that are void of character. This particular set seems a bit lighthearted with a passive wit. Serious when put in play but rather fun in a social setting. That could have something to do with the grips.
    Next you'll be describing them with a bouquet of oak and lavender with a hint of citrus aftertaste. :-)

My bag is in my sig now.. I'm going prancingly gay with all these gaybrids.. by the time I get to Vegas I might be bagging Cleveland HiBore hybrid irons and a Lovett wedge. Hello, Sailor!
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    Next you'll be describing them with a bouquet of oak and lavender with a hint of citrus aftertaste. :-)

My bag is in my sig now.. I'm going prancingly gay with all these gaybrids.. by the time I get to Vegas I might be bagging Cleveland HiBore hybrid irons and a Lovett wedge. Hello, Sailor!
    I did notice a touch of smoked hickory with sort of a volvanic aftertaste. Probably originating from either New Zealand or Scottsdale. As long as you don't say "hey sailor" when we reserve our hotel room I won't comment on the hybrids.

I did notice a touch of smoked hickory with sort of a volvanic aftertaste. Probably originating from either New Zealand or Scottsdale. As long as you don't say "hey sailor" when we reserve our hotel room I won't comment on the hybrids.
    can I sing show tunes in the shower? I'm thinking "Les Miserables"... the role of Jean Valjean is a bit too sopranish for me, but I can do Monsieur Javert of the Surete... just no Starlite Express...
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

can I sing show tunes in the shower? I'm thinking "Les Miserables"... the role of Jean Valjean is a bit too sopranish for me, but I can do Monsieur Javert of the Surete... just no Starlite Express...
    I thought Javert was an Inspector, n'est pas?

I'd keep an eye on FD. You never know when he is going to bust into the bathroom, wearing nothing but a smile, and start popping you on the arse with a wet towel.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel
    I thought Javert was an Inspector, n'est pas?
    Yep.. mr. l'Inspecteur to be pre ise.. Th Syrete is the Security Service, one step up from police...
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

If he gets on top it's all over.
    GR lives...

Thread Information