|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Barefoot Golf

Barefoot Golf

There is a dirty secret that golf shoe manufacturers are trying to keep under wraps. Playing golf in shoes is bad for your game and can lead to injuries...just look at Tiger Woods.

Playing barefoot puts a premium on balance, and good balance leads to accuracy and consistency. Swinging barefoot also prevents you from over-torquing joints and tendons by reducing ground friction, and leads to a more natural weight shift and pivot.

Due to the heavy use of chemicals and fertilizers...and those pesky dress codes, barefoot golf will probably never fully take off, but I think the minimalist golf shoes will soon begin to dominate the market. Ryan Moore, always on the cutting edge of everything but fashion, has already begun playing in minimalist shoes. (http://shop.truelinkswear.com/)

See these videos for proof:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BJsZcGatEo (Sam Snead)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riwWLct4DrA (Rocco Mediate)
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Playing barefoot is useless in wet conditions. You can't supply near the power when you don't have a stable base. It's good to practice every now and then barefoot for balance, especially if you have an overactive lower body but I don't think I'd want to play 18 holes like that. I'd rather wear golf sandals.
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002 View Post
    Playing barefoot is useless in wet conditions. You can't supply near the power when you don't have a stable base. It's good to practice every now and then barefoot for balance, especially if you have an overactive lower body but I don't think I'd want to play 18 holes like that. I'd rather wear golf sandals.
    Yes but if everyone played barefoot it would even out the playing field and we'd all lose power. The golf shoe manufacturer lobbyists will never let it happen. Soundrels!

There's a guy who I see once in a while at the muni driving range near me. Every time he's hitting balls off the mats, he's wearing these expensive leather-soled Italian loafers. He goes around 5'6", has to weigh 215-225, has thighs as big around as my waist. Played running back on the local NFL team 30+ years ago. Hits all his clubs a mile in perfect balance and tempo. The soles of those shoes are as slick as snot on a coat sleeve.

Tell me these minimalist golf shoes wouldn't go good with a white belt. Plus, it says TRUE on the bottom...awesome.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002 View Post
    Here, here!!

Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

If I can't wear my saddle shuz I would rather be....wait for it....shuless!
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

I have to wear shoes of some sort since I have to wear insoles for my achilles issue. WIthout the insoles, my achilles hurts like hell after a round of golf. But, as far as golf shoes go, I am not sure they are even necessary if you have good balance. Personally, for me, since I also have a bad left knee, not wearing a golf shoe helps my knee because there are no spikes to grab the turf and make me twist more on my knee.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelman View Post
    I have to wear shoes of some sort since I have to wear insoles for my achilles issue.
    Not fun! I snapped mine about 15 years ago. They say ruptured. I say SNAP! That's what it sounded and felt like anyway.
    team obnoxious

Quote Originally Posted by noshuz View Post
    Not fun! I snapped mine about 15 years ago. They say ruptured. I say SNAP! That's what it sounded and felt like anyway.
    did you get it fixed? How did that go? I knew a guy in Europe who had a rupture, never fixed it, walked with a floppy foot but still played and played well.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins View Post
    did you get it fixed? How did that go? I knew a guy in Europe who had a rupture, never fixed it, walked with a floppy foot but still played and played well.
    Hey Dave! Ya I got it fixed. They lap it over about one inch and sewed it together. 30 stitches up the back of calf. I've got one calf considerably smaller than the other and NO! I'M NOT POSTING A PICTURE OF MY SKINNY LIL' CALF!!
    team obnoxious

Quote Originally Posted by noshuz View Post
    Hey Dave! Ya I got it fixed. They lap it over about one inch and sewed it together. 30 stitches up the back of calf. I've got one calf considerably smaller than the other and NO! I'M NOT POSTING A PICTURE OF MY SKINNY LIL' CALF!!
    Regards, NS. Doesn't matter, they can both produce excellent veal.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    Regards, NS. Doesn't matter, they can both produce excellent veal.
    Nice! Zo!
    team obnoxious

Quote Originally Posted by Steelman View Post
    I have to wear shoes of some sort since I have to wear insoles for my achilles issue. WIthout the insoles, my achilles hurts like hell after a round of golf. But, as far as golf shoes go, I am not sure they are even necessary if you have good balance. Personally, for me, since I also have a bad left knee, not wearing a golf shoe helps my knee because there are no spikes to grab the turf and make me twist more on my knee.
    Cure your achilles forever by doing 3 sets of 10 eccentric calf raises/drops 4 times a week on a step.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Sam Snead started out playing bare foot, in tourneys! But he was a dirt ball inbred hillbilly hayseed piece of crap til the day he died so no surprise really.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker View Post
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Sam Snead started out playing bare foot, in tourneys! But he was a dirt ball inbred hillbilly hayseed piece of crap til the day he died so no surprise really.
    This isn't the 70's. Walking around barefoot is for hippies who smoke bowls in VW vans and listen to Carly Simon. This is golf and golfers where shoes. I will be wearing my Footjoy superlites in my match against Dave P. I'll also be wearing Gold Toe ankle socks. Gold Toe makes the best socks dude. They're like, really comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    This isn't the 70's. Walking around barefoot is for hippies who smoke bowls in VW vans and listen to Carly Simon. This is golf and golfers where shoes. I will be wearing my Footjoy superlites in my match against Dave P. I'll also be wearing Gold Toe ankle socks. Gold Toe makes the best socks dude. They're like, really comfortable.
    Was walking around barefoot last week and felt something kind of stuck to my left foot. So without thinking, I quickly kick/rubbed it against the top of my right foot to get it off and drove a glass chard deep into it. Thought I removed it all, played a couple of rounds but am now on DL and have surgery next week for the rest of it.

Apparently there's a chunk sitting in a tendon. What I want to know is how one of my ex-s got into my house and spread broken glass.
    GR lives...

Was walking around barefoot last week and felt something kind of stuck to my left foot. So without thinking, I quickly kick/rubbed it against the top of my right foot to get it off and drove a glass chard deep into it. Thought I removed it all, played a couple of rounds but am now on DL and have surgery next week for the rest of it.

Apparently there's a chunk sitting in a tendon. What I want to know is how one of my ex-s got into my house and spread broken glass.

Wow. Just reading that brought pain to me feet.

Going Shuless can kill you in a thousand ways
    team obnoxious

Wow. Just reading that brought pain to me feet.
    Just a little piece of glass and it was like getting stabbed. I can't imagine what it would be like to get run through with a sword.
    GR lives...

Hey. Take it easy on the Hippies. I was a Hippie in SoCal in the early '70's. I had a BMW in which I smoked my bowls. And sure as hell didn't listen to Carly Simon. And went mostly barefoot for about two years. It was pretty safe because there were no stinging insects to worry about in the San Diego area and since most of the area was either asphalt, concrete or sand, no worries about stepping on spiked weeds or dog poo. Broken glass? Not much except down by the border. Re: ankle socks? Now that you brought up that subject, they would be an addition to the list proffered on another recent thread on the "other" forum.

Just a little piece of glass and it was like getting stabbed. I can't imagine what it would be like to get run through with a sword.
    I was amused at the scene in Highlander where the evil immortal guy drives a thick sword through a cop, lifts him up into the air with it and then drops him back down. The cop is still alive and able to tell someone where the guy ran off to.

I was amused at the scene in Highlander where the evil immortal guy drives a thick sword through a cop, lifts him up into the air with it and then drops him back down. The cop is still alive and able to tell someone where the guy ran off to.
    It was the one gliche in an otherwise highly believable film about someone who lived both in the 1700-s and the present.
    GR lives...

Agreed again. This is two in a row. Let's not make it a habit.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

It was the one gliche in an otherwise highly believable film about someone who lived both in the 1700-s and the present.
    I get your sarcasm but I think even a fantasy movie shouldn't have scenes that are completely unbelievable. In watching the movie, you as the viewer buy into the fantasy of immortality for the time being. To be a good movie, it still needs to be consistent and believable.

That's true with any movie. In Superman II, it doesn't make sense that Superman can plunge through rock to the core of the earth but at the same time can be hurt by 3 Kriptonians hurling a bus at him. The bus wouldn't hurt a man that can fly through the Earth's crust.

They give you a premise to go on and they need to remain realistic within that premise.

This wasn't part of some unintended wreakage during one of your wild romps was it?
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

I get your sarcasm but I think even a fantasy movie shouldn't have scenes that are completely unbelievable. In watching the movie, you as the viewer buy into the fantasy of immortality for the time being. To be a good movie, it still needs to be consistent and believable.

That's true with any movie. In Superman II, it doesn't make sense that Superman can plunge through rock to the core of the earth but at the same time can be hurt by 3 Kriptonians hurling a bus at him. The bus wouldn't hurt a man that can fly through the Earth's crust.

They give you a premise to go on and they need to remain realistic within that premise.
    Maybe Superman just wasn't comfortable with buses. If I could fly without assistance, I wouldn't like buses either. Actually, I don't like them so maybe that means I can fly.

I'm really alot better with sexual fantasy than science fiction. With a good sexual fantasy there's actually a chance it could happen.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer View Post
    This wasn't part of some unintended wreakage during one of your wild romps was it?
    No, the only recent damage required the pool table felt surface be replaced.
    GR lives...

No, the only recent damage required the pool table felt surface be replaced.
    Gives a whole new meaning to potting the black.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

What is potting the black?

What is potting the black?
    If you knew how to play billiards old boy you would know that after all the reds have been pocketed ( after each one a color also has to be potted for additional points and then replaced) The last ball that gets potted to win the game is the black ball.

If you knew how to play billiards old boy you would know that after all the reds have been pocketed ( after each one a color also has to be potted for additional points and then replaced) The last ball that gets potted to win the game is the black ball.
    I don't think I've ever touched on this subject but I'm a very good pool player. They call me Famous Eddie Felson.

I don't think I've ever touched on this subject but I'm a very good pool player. They call me Famous Eddie Felson.
    Why dosen't this surprise me?

BTW the best billiards player that ever lived was an Aussie, Walter Lindrum.

I was actually gonna ask him if he sunk the pink or the brown.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

OUch dude. Did a piece of glass brake off after it lodged in your foot? At least you didn't step on a rusty nail.

In college, I worked for a construction company during the summer, and one day I was building walls on the ground with a nail gun. I was holding the top plate and stud together with one hand and shooting a nail in diagonally to hold it together. One of the nails hit a knot and deflected into the web of my hand. The nail got stuck exactly half way through. It hurt but it would have made for an awesome picture. No cell phone cameras back then though...come to think of it, almost no students had cell phones back in the mid 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist View Post
    OUch dude. Did a piece of glass brake off after it lodged in your foot? At least you didn't step on a rusty nail.

In college, I worked for a construction company during the summer, and one day I was building walls on the ground with a nail gun. I was holding the top plate and stud together with one hand and shooting a nail in diagonally to hold it together. One of the nails hit a knot and deflected into the web of my hand. The nail got stuck exactly half way through. It hurt but it would have made for an awesome picture. No cell phone cameras back then though...come to think of it, almost no students had cell phones back in the mid 90's.
    Maybe you had a similar to experience to mine where you're looking at it in denial thinking there's no way that just happened.

My injury's a real pane, but yours was clearly knot a good thing.

Ha, got all of you.

Sorry.
    GR lives...

Thread Information