|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Happy Memorial Day everyone...

Hope all is well.

Need to vent a little...I had my right knee scoped and cleaned out back in Jan2011. Tore a big chunk of cartiledge under the kneecap, towards the medial side (inner). Did the PT. Followed orders, put off playing....yada yada..

So then the knee starts to twinge/tweak on me...I figure its part of the healing process....

Gets to the point where sore days outnumber good days so I go back and see doctor. He says they took out a huge piece of torn crap and that arthritis is the culprit. Where there was cartiledge before, there is nothing now.

So he shoots me full of cortisone (muther phucker that hurt) and says come back in 2 weeks and he will repeat this (boy I cant wait for that)....and proceeds to tell me I am probably going to have a 2nd operation. Only this time, its a real incision, 2" long, and they 'plant' new cartiledge cells where they took my old out.

No weight-bearing for 2 months. Crutches 100%. Off work 2-3 weeks. NO GOLF.

Gonna try and slowplay until October at least....Im pissed.

Ok, rant over, thanks for listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    Hope all is well.

Need to vent a little...I had my right knee scoped and cleaned out back in Jan2011. Tore a big chunk of cartiledge under the kneecap, towards the medial side (inner). Did the PT. Followed orders, put off playing....yada yada..

So then the knee starts to twinge/tweak on me...I figure its part of the healing process....

Gets to the point where sore days outnumber good days so I go back and see doctor. He says they took out a huge piece of torn crap and that arthritis is the culprit. Where there was cartiledge before, there is nothing now.

So he shoots me full of cortisone (muther phucker that hurt) and says come back in 2 weeks and he will repeat this (boy I cant wait for that)....and proceeds to tell me I am probably going to have a 2nd operation. Only this time, its a real incision, 2" long, and they 'plant' new cartiledge cells where they took my old out.

No weight-bearing for 2 months. Crutches 100%. Off work 2-3 weeks. NO GOLF.

Gonna try and slowplay until October at least....Im pissed.

Ok, rant over, thanks for listening.
    You might be better in the long run just getting a knee replacement surgery. Eventually, you'll probably have to get one anyway, so you might as well jump into it and get your rehab done so you can start playing again. I think doctors do too many "band-aid" procedures that just help for a short time and lead you back in to get more done. Knee replacement surgeries are highly successful now days and I think it would be to your advantage to go ahead and get it done now while your still young enough to handle the rehab fairly quick.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Sorry to hear that LH. Injuries that keep you from doing what you love really suck.

Boy there are a few crocks on GR at the moment. Homeslicer has tennis elbow, I had back problems (that have since come right) that kept me out of golf for about a month and now I have a tendon problem in my right foot.

Good luck with your knee surgery & rehab.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Bad luck about your knee LH. I would be pissed too! I hate missing one game let alone not being able to play for months. You have probably done all this but would it be wise to seek a second opinion on the best course of action if you have not done so already?
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

I feel for you LH. had a knee surgery about 10 years ago to remove a piece of floating bone, which had calcified and was the size of a thumbnail, that had come loos. Apparently it had been the result of a dislocation 20 years earlier and had been destabilising the knee and causing all my knee problems over the years. I got lucky in that someone knew reccomended who turned out to be (I found out later) the best knee surgeon in Sydney. I also got lucky that with drop outs I got in for surgery 3 weeks after hurting it, had a real good operation, and was out playing golf eight days later. Before that surgery I had soreness in the knee after every game and wore a knee brace. Sice then no knee brace and no soreness. So hang in there LH, some times you can get good results from surgery, and it sounds like your new doctor knows what he's talking about.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Well that's bad news. Sorry to hear it buddie. Hopefully you get back on your feet ASAP and you're good to go.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

I had a knee scoped about twenty years ago, took out a lot of shredded floating cartilage, and it helped for a long time.. only lately have I felt like the knee is getting junked up again... as much golf as I've played over the past twenty years, I consider myself to have got my money's worth.. haven't looked into what to do about the knee this time yet.. the doctor will probably tell me to lose 100 pounds.. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins View Post
    I had a knee scoped about twenty years ago, took out a lot of shredded floating cartilage, and it helped for a long time.. only lately have I felt like the knee is getting junked up again... as much golf as I've played over the past twenty years, I consider myself to have got my money's worth.. haven't looked into what to do about the knee this time yet.. the doctor will probably tell me to lose 100 pounds.. :-)
    Which knee is it? If its the left, you can still play. Just won't be able to post up against it. Softer flex and longer shafts will help. Right knee? Schedule the procedure ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Which knee is it? If its the left, you can still play. Just won't be able to post up against it. Softer flex and longer shafts will help. Right knee? Schedule the procedure ASAP.
    Left. It's okay. Pops and stings after a large bucket of balls, but it gets me around the course okay.

It's not like a Tiger injury from sheer power and athleticism. More like slow degradation. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Tiger played for 18 months with a ruptured ACL in the left knee so you can get by with it. I had left knee issues for 20 years til I got an arthrscope which fixed it 10 years ago, and I managed to play golf. Pre op it was knee brace when playing and pain for a day or 2, post op no knee brace and no pain any time. So I suppose my point is you can play either way but in my case the op was a success. It changed my life as well as my golf. But I had a piece of calcified bone the size of a finger tip sitting behind the knee cap so you can imagine the disruption that was causing. Once it dislodged and began floating around the front of the knee I had no option but to have it removed. The Doc said getting it when they did probably saved me from getting arthritis for about 10 years. I will still maybe get mild arthritis in there when I'm in my 50s, but he said if it hadn't dislodged and stayed behind the knee cap I would have arthritis by 40, which I passed a couple of years ago.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker View Post
    Tiger played for 18 months with a ruptured ACL in the left knee so you can get by with it. I had left knee issues for 20 years til I got an arthrscope which fixed it 10 years ago, and I managed to play golf. Pre op it was knee brace when playing and pain for a day or 2, post op no knee brace and no pain any time. So I suppose my point is you can play either way but in my case the op was a success. It changed my life as well as my golf. But I had a piece of calcified bone the size of a finger tip sitting behind the knee cap so you can imagine the disruption that was causing. Once it dislodged and began floating around the front of the knee I had no option but to have it removed. The Doc said getting it when they did probably saved me from getting arthritis for about 10 years. I will still maybe get mild arthritis in there when I'm in my 50s, but he said if it hadn't dislodged and stayed behind the knee cap I would have arthritis by 40, which I passed a couple of years ago.
    I did something really stupid today. I bought about 7 fern pine (podocarpus) 5 gallon trees and planted 5 of them and then dug out some 15 gallons that I had planted a few months ago. In the process my lower back is very sore and I can't play golf tomorrow. It actually hurts when I get up and I've taken 4 ibuprofin. I've done it twice before and it's all from bending over rather than squatting down and using my legs. It's one of those things when everything feels fine and then all of a sudden you feel a twinge and all goes to hell. I'd like to chance the golf but it would be a stupid move. I have to remember I'm not 25 anymoe.
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don’t.

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    I had mine scoped in 99. I put it off to long as it was causing a mechanical locking of the knee, I could get down on it, and pop it it back in place. Havent had any trouble with it since. Last year I thought golf was done for me at the end of the season, as I have overpronated ankles, I think Kiwi mentioned he has the same problem, I would walk a few holes, then the pain was unbearable. It healed over the winter, Thank God. But Ive learned not to roll my left ankle when I post at the finish as I have for 30 years. Seems fine now. Shakin off 20 pounds helped also. I,ve been riding a bicycle again lately, and eating alot of salads.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    I did something really stupid today. I bought about 7 fern pine (podocarpus) 5 gallon trees and planted 5 of them and then dug out some 15 gallons that I had planted a few months ago. In the process my lower back is very sore and I can't play golf tomorrow. It actually hurts when I get up and I've taken 4 ibuprofin. I've done it twice before and it's all from bending over rather than squatting down and using my legs. It's one of those things when everything feels fine and then all of a sudden you feel a twinge and all goes to hell. I'd like to chance the golf but it would be a stupid move. I have to remember I'm not 25 anymoe.
    I'm 42 and touch wood have never had too many problems with the lower back. A few years back I was getting spasms if I played a second sraight day (no associated pain, ust the occassional quick spasm), but I had stopped wearing my orthotic inserts in my shoes for a while, and when I put them back in the back spasms went. But I take care of my back, especially when I have to do any lifting. I always squat and use my legs nad gluts to get the power to lift stuff. One tme I hurt my lower back was using poor form on the preacher bench curls machine. It wasn't set at the right height, but instead of setting it up propeerly I reached over too much and bent my back during the exercise, which strained the lower back and fukt up golf for about 2 weeks. If I were you I would sit golf out for at least a week or two, lower back injuries are somehting you can't take afford to take any chances with.

Ever tear a hamstring? Not fun. This showed up on the back of my leg a week after I did it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Hammy 2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	2689  
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

Quote Originally Posted by noshuz View Post
    Ever tear a hamstring? Not fun. This showed up on the back of my leg a week after I did it.
    I came away from this viewing with the nauseating feeling that I almost saw your junk. Did you have to pull the pants that far up, or photograph that high?

a little concern for your fellow GR types, NS.

nice bruise btw.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Go see a female chiro... it may help, just don't lay on top, it will get worse

I came away from this viewing with the nauseating feeling that I almost saw your junk. Did you have to pull the pants that far up, or photograph that high?

a little concern for your fellow GR types, NS.

nice bruise btw.
    You're the one scarin' me now Dave if that pic makes you even remotely think about my junk.
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    Go see a female chiro... it may help, just don't lay on top, it will get worse

Pk, you are the one who likes the Callaway GBB II correct? I saw a Callaway 454 9 degree driver with stock firm shaft for $17.99 and I just had to buy it. I swear I don't think the thing had been hit more than a couple times. Brand new for under $20. I couldn't hit it because my back is sore but I love the way it looks. One of the bet looking drivers I've seen.
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don’t.

Pk, you are the one who likes the Callaway GBB II correct? I saw a Callaway 454 9 degree driver with stock firm shaft for $17.99 and I just had to buy it. I swear I don't think the thing had been hit more than a couple times. Brand new for under $20. I couldn't hit it because my back is sore but I love the way it looks. One of the bet looking drivers I've seen.
    If you can get the Cally reps to be honest with you - they will tell you the 454 is one of their best offerings. I think, for the most part, Callys titanium offerings have been long in distance and quite forgiving.

$17.99 is an awesome price as well. I sold mine to a co-worker when I picked up the Diablo Edge Tour. Kinda regretted it. I would play my 04 Cally Titanium+ but would also play the 454 from time to time.

I think the 454 is a very good driver - it is quite long.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    If you can get the Cally reps to be honest with you - they will tell you the 454 is one of their best offerings. I think, for the most part, Callys titanium offerings have been long in distance and quite forgiving.

$17.99 is an awesome price as well. I sold mine to a co-worker when I picked up the Diablo Edge Tour. Kinda regretted it. I would play my 04 Cally Titanium+ but would also play the 454 from time to time.

I think the 454 is a very good driver - it is quite long.
    Here's a question. Less the 6cc's, what improvements in technology have been made over the Callaway 454? It probably has the maximum COR. Manufacturers have fooled around with weight to achieve maximum launch with minimal spin, removable weights, etc. but I don't see how, given the maxiumum size at 460 and max COR how you can really create a driver with better performance.

WOW, 17.99 for an almost new Cally 454, unreal, I would pick that up myself even I already have too many drivers. Yes, I LOVE my GBB II, I have 11* system 60 R-flex, 12* system 60 light-flex and 10* 415cc system 60 R-flex... Sold my 10* 415cc on eBay, now I am searching for either 10* or 11* system light-flex. That 12* light-flex fits me like a glove, I bomb the shììtttt out of that club, honestly, it's slightly more flex than the R-flex, but not much more... That's why I want another GBB II with light-flex to keep as a spare one, just in case that I broke the shaft of my current 12* light-flex (not with my swing , but could be due to transportation)... and yet I still have Cally 2004 BB titanium which my son loves it so I gave it to him. I never thought that the GBB II would replace my TEE in my bag, but it did. I know a guy who consistently hits 280-290 with his GBB II 9* system 60 stiff shaft, very impressive. New models of Cally do not do any better for me.

Yes, I like the Cally 454 as well, by bro-in-law plays it and he likes it a lot. Even if you had to reshaft it to match your swing (lots of pulled shafts on ebay) it's still cheap.

FD,,, slow down your sex for now, it WILL do more damage

Here's a question. Less the 6cc's, what improvements in technology have been made over the Callaway 454? It probably has the maximum COR. Manufacturers have fooled around with weight to achieve maximum launch with minimal spin, removable weights, etc. but I don't see how, given the maxiumum size at 460 and max COR how you can really create a driver with better performance.
    I think it might have to do with the spin the head creates. Also, the face on the 454 is either square or open (cant recall). Seems alot of GI drivers now are closed or appear closed.

Either way - Its a great driver. Bore thru I believe. If you re-shaft, keep that in mind in shaft flex.

Thread Information