|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

New Irons - Suggestions?

I promised myself long ago that once I broke 80 I would finally break down and buy myself a new set of irons. My ping eye 2's are now 23 years old, and while I love them I also must assume that some improvements in technology were likely made in the last quarter century.

2 weeks ago, I broke the shaft of my 7 iron, just inside the grip, while hitting out of the rough. I got it re-shafted and re-gripped and proceeded to go out and shoot a 77. Coincidence? Perhaps....

Anyway, I still love the Pings and while I want to hit a number of clubs, I already have my eyes on the S56's. Something about them suits my eye, but i obviously need to hit them first.

Anyone have feedback on these sticks, as well as any other irons that they would suggest that might be comparable to the Eye 2's with some newer technology and new grooves?!
    Index: 10.4

Current Sticks
    Driver - Taylor R7 425 9.5* w/ Fuji Fit-on E 370
    Titleist 904F 15* w/Graphite Design YS-6 Stiff
    Ping Eye2 - 3-PW
    TM RAC TP 52* 08 GW
    Hogan 53* 09 GW (gets sand use only now)
    Titleist SM6004 60*
    Titleist Newport 2
    Bridgestone B330 / e6

Jeez, why don't you just soft toss one a little easier for the local Ping j@ckass to hit out of the park?

Check Mizuno's out, they're always a solid club. I hear there's a MX-300 (might be MX-100) that is a good game improvement set. They're last years models, you might be able to get a really good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by wofat View Post
    I promised myself long ago that once I broke 80 I would finally break down and buy myself a new set of irons. My ping eye 2's are now 23 years old, and while I love them I also must assume that some improvements in technology were likely made in the last quarter century.

2 weeks ago, I broke the shaft of my 7 iron, just inside the grip, while hitting out of the rough. I got it re-shafted and re-gripped and proceeded to go out and shoot a 77. Coincidence? Perhaps....

Anyway, I still love the Pings and while I want to hit a number of clubs, I already have my eyes on the S56's. Something about them suits my eye, but i obviously need to hit them first.

Anyone have feedback on these sticks, as well as any other irons that they would suggest that might be comparable to the Eye 2's with some newer technology and new grooves?!
    Also, I used to play Pings, I had 2 irons break right below the shaft while hitting shots.

This is going to sound absolutely heinous, but I've got my eyes those Callaway Razr X Forged irons. My MP32's are now in their 7th season and are starting to get worn down. Rust is creeping into the grooves and I can't even get a knife blade into some of them to clean them anymore.
    I hit the Cally's at a demo day and they were really nice sticks. A bit high for my liking, but I bet if I switched out my original Project X shafts (not the new mass-produced crap), the ball flight would come down a bit.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    This is going to sound absolutely heinous, but I've got my eyes those Callaway Razr X Forged irons. My MP32's are now in their 7th season and are starting to get worn down. Rust is creeping into the grooves and I can't even get a knife blade into some of them to clean them anymore.
    I hit the Cally's at a demo day and they were really nice sticks. A bit high for my liking, but I bet if I switched out my original Project X shafts (not the new mass-produced crap), the ball flight would come down a bit.
    I'm getting rust and worn grooves on mine as well and am trying to decide whether to replace them or just go with the ZO-s. Maybe the MP-68-s. The Razr X are pretty but I'm hearing mixed things.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    I'm getting rust and worn grooves on mine as well and am trying to decide whether to replace them or just go with the ZO-s. Maybe the MP-68-s. The Razr X are pretty but I'm hearing mixed things.
    I hit PW, 8, and 6 iron and liked them all but I didn't hit any of the longer clubs. I really think Mizuno peaked with the 32's.
    I love the look of the satin ZO's, but I've got a grudge against KZG since they fukked me with their shoddy Gemini drivers. I used to play their Forged II's for several years and thought they were great irons.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

I hit PW, 8, and 6 iron and liked them all but I didn't hit any of the longer clubs. I really think Mizuno peaked with the 32's.
    I love the look of the satin ZO's, but I've got a grudge against KZG since they fukked me with their shoddy Gemini drivers. I used to play their Forged II's for several years and thought they were great irons.
    I don't love the company either but I do love their irons. Irons aren't going to break so, aside from the grudge, customer service shouldn't be an issue.

Then again while KZG-s used to be cheaper than similar irons, they're now priced close to Miuras.

The rap on the Cally is distance loss on off-center hits.
    GR lives...

The Ping Eye 2 set the standard for high performance, cavity back irons back in 1982 when they were first produced. You didn't state whether you had the Ping Eye 2 square groove model, the Ping Eye 2 + no + or the Ping eye 2+. It's a subtle distinction but an important one nevertheless. The shaft is the most important piece of the equation with the ZZ-lite shaft being the choice of yours truly. It's a stiff, lightweight shaft with a soft tip and it's performance has never been replicated.

As an owner and afficionado of Ping Eye 2 clubs I find it disheartening that you'd consider switching them out for a set that will only be a disappointment in the long run. You just broke 80 with your Ping Eye 2s. Why would you change now?

You're clearly at a crossroads and the decisions you make in the near future could potentially lead to indecision, confusion and inner turmoil. I know because I've gone the route of trying to replace my Ping Eye 2s with something better. In the end I always go back to them. They have a crisp yet soft feel to them that can only be described as pure bliss.

I'm glad I could help.
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don’t.

I was thinking more along the lines of it sounding "anus."

Just go buy you a new set of MP-32s. There are plenty of sets out there at great prices. I put my set in the bag today and am playing them this week. I don't like them as good as the Z-101s or the MP-67s, but they do help me hone my swing in a bit.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    The Ping Eye 2 set the standard for high performance, cavity back irons back in 1982 when they were first produced. You didn't state whether you had the Ping Eye 2 square groove model, the Ping Eye 2 + no + or the Ping eye 2+. It's a subtle distinction but an important one nevertheless. The shaft is the most important piece of the equation with the ZZ-lite shaft being the choice of yours truly. It's a stiff, lightweight shaft with a soft tip and it's performance has never been replicated.

As an owner and afficionado of Ping Eye 2 clubs I find it disheartening that you'd consider switching them out for a set that will only be a disappointment in the long run. You just broke 80 with your Ping Eye 2s. Why would you change now?

You're clearly at a crossroads and the decisions you make in the near future could potentially lead to indecision, confusion and inner turmoil. I know because I've gone the route of trying to replace my Ping Eye 2s with something better. In the end I always go back to them. They have a crisp yet soft feel to them that can only be described as pure bliss.

I'm glad I could help.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of it sounding "anus."

Just go buy you a new set of MP-32s. There are plenty of sets out there at great prices. I put my set in the bag today and am playing them this week. I don't like them as good as the Z-101s or the MP-67s, but they do help me hone my swing in a bit.
    You might play them for a while before drawing firm conclusions. You also might have them checked to see if they match original specs if you haven't already done so.
    GR lives...

I second whoever told you to go with Mizunos. The MX line is top notch, and a definite step up in class and quality from Ping. I had the MX 20s and couldn't recommend them highly enough, I would think the MX 300s would be very nice clubs.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

NOBODY gets feedback from Ping sticks.

Now I see why it took you 16 years to break 80. Those Ping Eye 2s were holding you back. If you'd had some real irons I'm sure you would have done it 10 years earlier.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

There really aren't any irons that compare to the eye 2's. The offset, look and feel of them has not really been replicated, although there have been many attempts to copy them. To try and find a modern club that compares would be a search in vain I believe. Feel wise the S56 would be an obvious choice. Mizunos have been mentioned; they are a great club and have many different models to suit every level player. However they are a world away from the eye 2's. If you indeed want to stay with a similar type iron it is hard to recommend a particular model. In that way I agree with FD. If you truely love the eye 2's you will not find another iron like it, and you will probably go back, whatever new stick you choose to play.
    You could lash out and try something completely different. The best way to find out what you like is to demo as much as you can. Like FD i am rather experienced in trying different irons. If it was me looking for a great club in the current crop i would start with the new Taylormade MC,MD and MB range. You can make up your own combo set and I have heard from many players that these new offerings are first class.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer View Post
    There really aren't any irons that compare to the eye 2's. The offset, look and feel of them has not really been replicated, although there have been many attempts to copy them. To try and find a modern club that compares would be a search in vain I believe. Feel wise the S56 would be an obvious choice. Mizunos have been mentioned; they are a great club and have many different models to suit every level player. However they are a world away from the eye 2's. If you indeed want to stay with a similar type iron it is hard to recommend a particular model. In that way I agree with FD. If you truely love the eye 2's you will not find another iron like it, and you will probably go back, whatever new stick you choose to play.
    You could lash out and try something completely different. The best way to find out what you like is to demo as much as you can. Like FD i am rather experienced in trying different irons. If it was me looking for a great club in the current crop i would start with the new Taylormade MC,MD and MB range. You can make up your own combo set and I have heard from many players that these new offerings are first class.
    Really? TM have finally come up with a great iron? Is this their best offering since the TM 300 series?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    Really? TM have finally come up with a great iron? Is this their best offering since the TM 300 series?
    On current reports I think they may well be. The original rac blades were very good but this new range are not just blades but some quality cavity backs as well. They don't look great to my eye but apparently the feel and performance is excellent.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Shafts wear out with useage over the years. Its simple metal fatigue. There is a corollary of Murphy's Law that, paraphrased, goes something like "if one part fails, it is inevitable that another similar part will fail shortly afterwards." This pertains to the most simple mechanical devices, complex electronic devices, stupidly non-complex things like fence posts, and golf clubs. Therefore, I would recommend taking the rest of your irons and getting them fitted with new shafts and grips after having someone with expertise give you a shaft fitting for length and flex profile. The very worst that can result is that you have a perfectly good set of Eye 2's as backups if you find a new or newer set of something else.

The only model I like out of their new lineup is the middle one (I don't know the name). It's a slight cavity back that looks great at address. The one with more offset and larger head is too bulky looking.

I like Callaways new lineup. The Razr irons look good.

Getting back to Wofat, if he's used to the feel of Pings then a good alternative would be the Ping i5. They have less offset than the Eye 2 and have stronger lofts. You have to be careful what shaft you get. The AWT sucks.
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    The only model I like out of their new lineup is the middle one (I don't know the name). It's a slight cavity back that looks great at address. The one with more offset and larger head is too bulky looking.

I like Callaways new lineup. The Razr irons look good.

Getting back to Wofat, if he's used to the feel of Pings then a good alternative would be the Ping i5. They have less offset than the Eye 2 and have stronger lofts. You have to be careful what shaft you get. The AWT sucks.
    This surprises me coming from a guy who loves oversize clubs like the Eye 2s and weren't you always talking up how nice the Burner Tours looked?

I saw the CB model you are talking about and noticed the stock shaft option is the DG XP which is a lighter weight shaft than the standard DG which suggests it's for slower swing speeds/higher launch. The MC (Muscle cavity) and blade both have the standard DG shaft as the stock option.

Now where the f#ck am I?

This surprises me coming from a guy who loves oversize clubs like the Eye 2s and weren't you always talking up how nice the Burner Tours looked?

I saw the CB model you are talking about and noticed the stock shaft option is the DG XP which is a lighter weight shaft than the standard DG which suggests it's for slower swing speeds/higher launch. The MC (Muscle cavity) and blade both have the standard DG shaft as the stock option.
    I was talking about the Taylormade Tour Burner irons. It's the perfect iron for someone who is used to cavity backs but wants less offset and a smaller head. It's the perfect iron for me. I went to the range today and hit them and they feel wonderful. I also hit my new Taylormade Superfast TP with Matrix Ozark something shaft. That thing is a cannon! I'm doing something different with my swing and it's like magic. I don't think I've ever hit the ball so well. Instead of yanking the club back and inside I'm increasing the arc by sort of dragging the club with my hands first so that the head of the driver is lagging behind. My follow through is better as a result. I feel like I"m pulling the club on the backswing rather than forcing it back with my hands. Amazing what you can learn after 30 years of playing golf.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    You might play them for a while before drawing firm conclusions. You also might have them checked to see if they match original specs if you haven't already done so.
    I think you are right, Lorenzo. After playing them for a couple of days, I am really starting to warm up to them a lot more. I especially have been hitting the long irons well. In fact, I have hit the 3 and 4 iron better the last couple days than I have ever hit them in other sets. I don't know if this is a result of my swing getting better (getting more width on my backswing) or the 32s just producing better shots, but I have been hitting greens on Par 5s with 4 and 3 iron shots where I would have normally used a thriver or hybrid. It has been pretty sweet because nothing feels better than to hit a 4 iron shot sweet for 200 yards and a 3 iron shot for 235 yards onto the green for eagle putts. I have been hitting the other irons well, too, so I think the 32s have great potential in becoming a permanent set in my rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    I think you are right, Lorenzo. After playing them for a couple of days, I am really starting to warm up to them a lot more. I especially have been hitting the long irons well. In fact, I have hit the 3 and 4 iron better the last couple days than I have ever hit them in other sets. I don't know if this is a result of my swing getting better (getting more width on my backswing) or the 32s just producing better shots, but I have been hitting greens on Par 5s with 4 and 3 iron shots where I would have normally used a thriver or hybrid. It has been pretty sweet because nothing feels better than to hit a 4 iron shot sweet for 200 yards and a 3 iron shot for 235 yards onto the green for eagle putts. I have been hitting the other irons well, too, so I think the 32s have great potential in becoming a permanent set in my rotation.
    I remember it taking me a while to get good results with the 32-s but once i did i found them easy to hit and very rewarding. Good luck with them, i might end up buying another set of them as the originals are fairly worn.
    GR lives...

Thread Information