|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Results 1 to 43 of 43
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    34

    BBQ Grills: It pays off to spend a little more

    Sometimes I can be cheap and buy the less expensive item simply to save money. However, the last BBQ grill I purchased was a Charbroil from Home Depot and it lasted about 1.5 years before the starter stopped working and slowly fell apart.

    I went on Craigslist and found a barely used Webber Spirit 3-burner Grill that lists at Home Depot for $499. I bought it off a Military guy who no longer needed it for $275. It came with a cover, a propane tank and a rug to put under it. This grill is fantastic and absolutely worth every penny. I would have bought it new if it wasn't for the craigslist ad. It starts up immediately and gets up to 500 degrees in less than 5 minutes. It's so much better than the last grill I purchased that there really is no comparison.

    So, when buying a grill, it may be tempting to buy Kenmoor, Charbroil, etc. but you'll enjoy it more if you buy a Webber. This thing will probably last me 10 years.
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who donít.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,935
    Rep Power
    32
    Everything Webber makes is really awesome. I've been using a plain old Webber kettle and mesquite since I moved into my house. By the end of the year I'll have an expensive gas grill, but it probably won't perform as well as the Webber.

    What the new grill will give me is a rotisserie. My tied up meat recipes rotisseried are better than sex, kind of.
    GR lives...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    Everything Webber makes is really awesome. I've been using a plain old Webber kettle and mesquite since I moved into my house. By the end of the year I'll have an expensive gas grill, but it probably won't perform as well as the Webber.

    What the new grill will give me is a rotisserie. My tied up meat recipes rotisseried are better than sex, kind of.
    The basic round top Webber made for charcoal grilling is one of the best. The food does taste better but it takes more time. I've heard people talk about indirect grilling but I like a crispy outside, especially with tri tip and rib eye steak. Yesterday I BBQ'd tri tip, asparagus and corn on the cob. I'm going to buy some kind of grilling book because I know very little about proper grilling techniques. I tend to under cook a lot of what I prepare, with the exception of the basic hamburger, hot dot, chicken recipes.
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who donít.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pacific Dunes, Bandon, OR
    Posts
    5,472
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    Everything Webber makes is really awesome. I've been using a plain old Webber kettle and mesquite since I moved into my house. By the end of the year I'll have an expensive gas grill, but it probably won't perform as well as the Webber.

    What the new grill will give me is a rotisserie. My tied up meat recipes rotisseried are better than sex, kind of.
    I have a weber but it has sat in the utility shed since I bought this at a garage sale.


    It's about 1" thick ceramic and cooks great. I can smoke at 225* or cook a steak at 550* and everything in between.

    FD, your deal was good but mine was awesome. I paid $40 for the grill and put another $100 in it for the stand and grates over the last 10 years. A "green egg," the modern replacement is $750.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pacific Dunes, Bandon, OR
    Posts
    5,472
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    Everything Webber makes is really awesome. I've been using a plain old Webber kettle and mesquite since I moved into my house. By the end of the year I'll have an expensive gas grill, but it probably won't perform as well as the Webber.

    What the new grill will give me is a rotisserie. My tied up meat recipes rotisseried are better than sex, kind of.
    I don't know about CA but Oregon's cash and carry has 40# bags of
    Lazzari mesquite lump charcoal for $20. You can't beat it but you might need an axe. Some of the pieces are the size of a man's thigh. Propane sucks.

    Being a foody, I can't believe your talking about a propane grill. It's sooo mediocre.

    On the flip side, a friend has on outdoor wood fired pizza style oven. It's really cool for certain foods. My grill is better for meats, especially fish.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,935
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    I don't know about CA but Oregon's cash and carry has 40# bags of
    Lazzari mesquite lump charcoal for $20. You can't beat it but you might need an axe. Some of the pieces are the size of a man's thigh. Propane sucks.

    Being a foody, I can't believe your talking about a propane grill. It's sooo mediocre.

    On the flip side, a friend has on outdoor wood fired pizza style oven. It's really cool for certain foods. My grill is better for meats, especially fish.
    It would be natural gas, but your point is still valid. The good ones come pretty close to mesquite and the convenience for me bridges the difference. When I want to remain pure, I'll still use the Weber, but if sex is waiting I want to get the cooking over with fast.
    GR lives...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,935
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    The basic round top Webber made for charcoal grilling is one of the best. The food does taste better but it takes more time. I've heard people talk about indirect grilling but I like a crispy outside, especially with tri tip and rib eye steak. Yesterday I BBQ'd tri tip, asparagus and corn on the cob. I'm going to buy some kind of grilling book because I know very little about proper grilling techniques. I tend to under cook a lot of what I prepare, with the exception of the basic hamburger, hot dot, chicken recipes.
    Sounds like you're off to a great start. There are a ton of books on grilling if you want to advance. Indirect is only for fowl or fish. Meat is best with direct heat. To become expert at doneness, it helps to press against meat or chicken with tongs before you pull the food. Eventually you'll be able to associate the firmness of the meat with doneness.
    GR lives...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    magnolia
    Posts
    2,040
    Rep Power
    19
    Hard to beat a domed webber. Perfect for making beer can chicken and there is plenty of room to use a rib rack.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Livin' the dream at the SPCC
    Posts
    8,511
    Rep Power
    28
    I had a 2 burner Weber Spirit that I bought in 1997 and used until 2009. The electric starter worked for 10 years. I replaced those heating bars once and the big drip pan a couple of times. It would probably still be kicking if the movers didn't roll it off the deck and bend the frame.
    I've now got a 3 burner Weber Genesis that is equally awesome, just bigger.
    I like that Weber doesn't mess around will silly crap that is either useless or breakable, like built in grill lights or side burners.
    I've also got a charcoal Weber, but I don't use it very much.

    Zo, did you have to do anything special to the grill to get it to accept natural gas? I've had initial talks with a plumber about running a gas line under my deck.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

    *Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    magnolia
    Posts
    2,040
    Rep Power
    19
    HB, I would think all you would have to do is get a different regulator.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    magnolia
    Posts
    2,040
    Rep Power
    19
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Livin' the dream at the SPCC
    Posts
    8,511
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by jt1135 View Post
    Thanks, JT. I'll get a plumber to handle splitting the line, but the rest looks pretty simple.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

    *Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pacific Dunes, Bandon, OR
    Posts
    5,472
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    It would be natural gas, but your point is still valid. The good ones come pretty close to mesquite and the convenience for me bridges the difference. When I want to remain pure, I'll still use the Weber, but if sex is waiting I want to get the cooking over with fast.
    Kid yourself all you want but it's just not true. My grilling is as grand as FD's claim to ball striking. Nothing fancy but a good natural wood smoked meat can't be beat. How good is the gas weber at slow roasting a prime rib at 250* for a few hours? Plenty of time for sex then dinner...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,935
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    Thanks, JT. I'll get a plumber to handle splitting the line, but the rest looks pretty simple.
    It a great convenience not needing to eff with propane tanks so you're doing the right thing.

    Poe, I can't disagree as to steak or chops but for some foods it really doesn't matter. And I'm not talking about the Webber, there are gas grills that do an amazing job of preventing flare-ups and which allows you to produce alot of smoke with ceramic brickettes. If you want wood flavor, they take hickory chips. I'll still have the kettle when mesquite will really make a difference but my last DCS was foodie approved.

    For low heat type foods like prime rib, you should be rotisserieing them. The rotisserie trumps mesquite for many things. That said, I am jealous of your system. Maybe I'll get a smoker.

    And I'd never have sex while food is cooking, I'm not that kind of guy.
    GR lives...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    I have a weber but it has sat in the utility shed since I bought this at a garage sale.


    It's about 1" thick ceramic and cooks great. I can smoke at 225* or cook a steak at 550* and everything in between.

    FD, your deal was good but mine was awesome. I paid $40 for the grill and put another $100 in it for the stand and grates over the last 10 years. A "green egg," the modern replacement is $750.
    That's a good deal. How do you control the temperature with charcoal? Is that a rooster in the background?
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who donít.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pacific Dunes, Bandon, OR
    Posts
    5,472
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    That's a good deal. How do you control the temperature with charcoal? Is that a rooster in the background?
    It's just like the weber. The top is on two way vent that rotates and opens. The bottom has a draw vent. My draw vent rusted out long ago and I use a piece of aluminum foil to restrict air flow.


    The design precedes the weber and this grill was produced in the 50's. It now can be found in many places. The Big Green Egg is one but they are commonly referred to as Kamado grills.

    Yes, it's actually a hen. You can't have roosters in Portland's city limit.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pacific Dunes, Bandon, OR
    Posts
    5,472
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    It a great convenience not needing to eff with propane tanks so you're doing the right thing.

    Poe, I can't disagree as to steak or chops but for some foods it really doesn't matter. And I'm not talking about the Webber, there are gas grills that do an amazing job of preventing flare-ups and which allows you to produce alot of smoke with ceramic brickettes. If you want wood flavor, they take hickory chips. I'll still have the kettle when mesquite will really make a difference but my last DCS was foodie approved.

    For low heat type foods like prime rib, you should be rotisserieing them. The rotisserie trumps mesquite for many things. That said, I am jealous of your system. Maybe I'll get a smoker.

    And I'd never have sex while food is cooking, I'm not that kind of guy.
    And I thought sex in the kitchen was mandatory for a foodie like yourself. Most meat has to rest for 10 minutes before cutting. That's enough for a quickie on the counter.

    Different subject, I had an interesting wine last night, cheap but interesting. It was a Rose Vinho Verde. Similar to the Vinho Verde but a bit more rounded but still dry and chrisp with the effervescence of the traditional Vinho Verde. Have you tried one?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,935
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    And I thought sex in the kitchen was mandatory for a foodie like yourself. Most meat has to rest for 10 minutes before cutting. That's enough for a quickie on the counter.

    Different subject, I had an interesting wine last night, cheap but interesting. It was a Rose Vinho Verde. Similar to the Vinho Verde but a bit more rounded but still dry and chrisp with the effervescence of the traditional Vinho Verde. Have you tried one?
    Meat must rest and it also needs to come to room temperature before cooking. I'm sure you know this so it's for any who don't.

    I can't concentrate on it even if there's plenty of time, unless you're just chopping salad or something. Foreplay works better for me during preparation, it gets the heart beating and the senses become more acute.

    That's pretty cool that you farm your own eggs. I had a building in S. San Diego for a time and we had real problems with SE Asians raising chickens in the bedrooms. I'd kind of like to have a fish pond in my backyard where I could grab one completely fresh for dinner. The ones at the store are 1 week+ old and taste nothing like the ones you catch.

    I have no real experience with those wines. I've been around the block with Spanish and Croatian wines the last couple of years and they've really been coming into it. It would be nice to have something crisp and fizzing to pair.
    GR lives...

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Livin' the dream at the SPCC
    Posts
    8,511
    Rep Power
    28
    Beer/BBQ/wine snobs are the worst.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

    *Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    Beer/BBQ/wine snobs are the worst.
    I don't think a Webber qualifies as a BBQ snob. If i had a Jenn Air $4,000 BBQ maybe.

    I agree on the Beer/Wine Snob thing. You always know a wine snob when they talk about how much it cost. There are many wine snobs out there who really know nothing about wine. It's so silly if you think about it. You're drinking crushed grapes. Sure, a wine that is processed at the right time from the right harvest will taste better. But, it doesn't taste THAT much better and even if it did it's not worth talking about. It's an ego thing, plain and simple.

    Beer is just as bad. I'm convinced there are guys who drink beer they hate simply to look cool. The thicker and darker the better they say. Meanwhile they're ready to retch at any moment.
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who donít.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Livin' the dream at the SPCC
    Posts
    8,511
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    I don't think a Webber qualifies as a BBQ snob. If i had a Jenn Air $4,000 BBQ maybe.

    I agree on the Beer/Wine Snob thing. You always know a wine snob when they talk about how much it cost. There are many wine snobs out there who really know nothing about wine. It's so silly if you think about it. You're drinking crushed grapes. Sure, a wine that is processed at the right time from the right harvest will taste better. But, it doesn't taste THAT much better and even if it did it's not worth talking about. It's an ego thing, plain and simple.

    Beer is just as bad. I'm convinced there are guys who drink beer they hate simply to look cool. The thicker and darker the better they say. Meanwhile they're ready to retch at any moment.
    Agreed, but the BBQ snobs are the guys who shun gas/propane grills. Your Weber is not snobbery. If you insisted upon waiting 40 minutes for your charcoal smoker to heat up everytime you want a burger, you'd be a BBQ snob.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

    *Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    Agreed, but the BBQ snobs are the guys who shun gas/propane grills. Your Weber is not snobbery. If you insisted upon waiting 40 minutes for your charcoal smoker to heat up everytime you want a burger, you'd be a BBQ snob.
    Yeah agreed. That's Ok if you've got all the time in the world at the weekend but I can use my gas grill any night of the week, even in winter. It's hot in 10 minutes. I had a friend that had his old style outdoor wood BBQ and insisted it was superior to my "outdoor gas cooker". It takes forever to get the wood fire going and when cooking it often runs out of heat before the steak is cooked. End result = stewed steak.

    Mine also has a hood and you can get a rotisserie accessory if you want it but I have found it great for slow cooking/roasting meat. You just turn the two outer burners on low (it's a 4 burner) and roast the meat on a rack in the center of the BBQ. Turn it over about halfway through cooking. Perfect!
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    Agreed, but the BBQ snobs are the guys who shun gas/propane grills. Your Weber is not snobbery. If you insisted upon waiting 40 minutes for your charcoal smoker to heat up everytime you want a burger, you'd be a BBQ snob.
    I can't stand people that get that into things like BBQ'ing, as if it's an art form. They'll say "yes, I import my mesquite bricketts from a small town in south Texas where they know the meaning of good mesquite. I would never buy local mesquite. I then spray the mesquite with a mixture of sea salt from Trader Joe's and volcanic ash from a small city in Peru. I only buy my meat at a specialty butcher shop down the street. I then finish it off with some fava beans and a fine chianti". BS
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who donít.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New England... yeah whatever.
    Posts
    649
    Rep Power
    19
    Just got a Weber Spirit this season and yes to everything... I had 2 Kenmore "less than $200" models which are throw away models. Hell the employee at Sears even said as much. I tried upgrading from a basic Kenmore model which rotted in a year (I use my grill year round, even in winter). The next model a little more $$$ had some stainless (they claim) and cast (so they say) grills... still rotted in a year... screw Sears and screw their "throw away" grills... very happy with Weber and Weber is happy they don't have to try spamming this forum now... :-)
    Titleist 909D2 9.5, Motore F1 (s)
    Callaway Diablo Edge 3W, E370 (s)
    Ping i5 2-PW, CS Lite (s)
    Callaway X-Tour 54,60
    Ping G5i B60

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Livin' the dream at the SPCC
    Posts
    8,511
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    I can't stand people that get that into things like BBQ'ing, as if it's an art form. They'll say "yes, I import my mesquite bricketts from a small town in south Texas where they know the meaning of good mesquite. I would never buy local mesquite. I then spray the mesquite with a mixture of sea salt from Trader Joe's and volcanic ash from a small city in Peru. I only buy my meat at a specialty butcher shop down the street. I then finish it off with some fava beans and a fine chianti". BS
    I've got a couple of friends who really big into BBQ and that's fine, as long as they aren't throwing it in my face when they come over to my house and I light up the Weber. I love eating smoked brisket or a tenderloin, but I'll be damned if I going to babysit a grill for 12+ hours. I got sh!t to do.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

    *Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New England... yeah whatever.
    Posts
    649
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    I've got a couple of friends who really big into BBQ and that's fine, as long as they aren't throwing it in my face when they come over to my house and I light up the Weber. I love eating smoked brisket or a tenderloin, but I'll be damned if I going to babysit a grill for 12+ hours. I got sh!t to do.
    I used to do the standard Weber charcoal thing... I found I grill much more with propane, especially in the winter. Do these guys expect me to screw with coals and heat zones in the winter?
    Titleist 909D2 9.5, Motore F1 (s)
    Callaway Diablo Edge 3W, E370 (s)
    Ping i5 2-PW, CS Lite (s)
    Callaway X-Tour 54,60
    Ping G5i B60

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pacific Dunes, Bandon, OR
    Posts
    5,472
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    Agreed, but the BBQ snobs are the guys who shun gas/propane grills. Your Weber is not snobbery. If you insisted upon waiting 40 minutes for your charcoal smoker to heat up everytime you want a burger, you'd be a BBQ snob.
    Gas grills are in par with playing a sgi irons.

    I'm not a snob with bbq's. I get the attraction to a gas grill. 40 minutes really isn't anything when I'm grilling. It's time to enjoy life. I rush all day long. There is nothing wrong with taking a few minutes to wait for something you love. Like a nice steak or a beer can chicken.

    Good attempt at a troll.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Chillin' with my Freakamaniacs, brother.
    Posts
    2,545
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    Gas grills are in par with playing a sgi irons.
    Gas grills are on par with 5:30AM tee times and 3 1/2 hour rounds. Some people would rather eat than cook. I just can't be bothered to wait around for charcoal, I has sh!t to do. Not to mention that some of us believe that not every single thing cooked on the BBQ needs to be smoked to death. There are those of us who find the taste of pure carbon a bit unappetizing, believe it or not.

    I'm not a snob with bbq's. I get the attraction to a gas grill. 40 minutes really isn't anything when I'm grilling. It's time to enjoy life. I rush all day long. There is nothing wrong with taking a few minutes to wait for something you love. Like a nice steak or a beer can chicken.

    Good attempt at a troll.
    You're a borderline BBQ snob. Just the fact that you felt it necessary to proclaim your innocence of such an accusation is demonstrative of your guilt. You're just some BBQ hipster, like most charcoal fans. You probably own a little Hibachi just for the irony.

    Seriously though - there are times when charcoal is preferred, but steaks, burgers, chops, etc... are all about cooking time at the right temperature... and it's easier to get a superior result with gas because gas gives you better control of temperature.

    And before I forget - Weber grills are outstanding. Best value on the market IMO.



    FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

    Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pacific Dunes, Bandon, OR
    Posts
    5,472
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature View Post
    Gas grills are on par with 5:30AM tee times and 3 1/2 hour rounds. Some people would rather eat than cook. I just can't be bothered to wait around for charcoal, I has sh!t to do. Not to mention that some of us believe that not every single thing cooked on the BBQ needs to be smoked to death. There are those of us who find the taste of pure carbon a bit unappetizing, believe it or not.



    You're a borderline BBQ snob. Just the fact that you felt it necessary to proclaim your innocence of such an accusation is demonstrative of your guilt. You're just some BBQ hipster, like most charcoal fans. You probably own a little Hibachi just for the irony.

    Seriously though - there are times when charcoal is preferred, but steaks, burgers, chops, etc... are all about cooking time at the right temperature... and it's easier to get a superior result with gas because gas gives you better control of temperature.

    And before I forget - Weber grills are outstanding. Best value on the market IMO.



    FON
    Not a snob in the terms they've set. I don't care which way food is cooked. Good food is good.

    We all have our preferences and i get the points you've mentioned. I would never tell someone else how to prepare their meal unless someone asked my opinion. Even then I would give a modest one. Similar to someone asking for swing advice on.the tee box.

    In all honesty I would have answered the same way as you did until I bought this grill. A new one is more than I would normally consider to pay but I've pondered rather I would replace it. I probably would.

    Starting my grill is around ten minutes. I use a chimney with a brown paper grocery bag and a propane touch. Within 10 minutes the coals are ready. 15 to 20 minutes the grill is primed and at temp.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    TPC at Sawgrass - Stadium Course
    Posts
    2,011
    Rep Power
    22
    Weber grills are one of the best bang for your buck grills you can get. I plan on upgrading from my little bachelor grill to a full sized one soon. When it dies, I'll make my last grill purchase a "Little Green Egg" very similar to what Poe4soul has. They apparently do a phenominal job and can also be turned into a smoker very quickly.
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002 View Post
    Weber grills are one of the best bang for your buck grills you can get. I plan on upgrading from my little bachelor grill to a full sized one soon. When it dies, I'll make my last grill purchase a "Little Green Egg" very similar to what Poe4soul has. They apparently do a phenominal job and can also be turned into a smoker very quickly.

    I get a smoker every night. No need for charcoal.
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who donít.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    TPC at Sawgrass - Stadium Course
    Posts
    2,011
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    I get a smoker every night. No need for charcoal.
    The board gives its best to Mrs. FamousDavis
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002 View Post
    The board gives its best to Mrs. FamousDavis

    Seriously, how much can coals really add to the flavor of the meat? My Webber Spirit starts instantly and can get up to 450 degrees in about 3 minutes. It's the best unit I've ever owned. I've got the 3 burner model. This idea that the smoke penetrates the meat is kind of silly. Meat has skin. Skin keeps smoke out. Enough.
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who donít.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    TPC at Sawgrass - Stadium Course
    Posts
    2,011
    Rep Power
    22
    It's comparable to maranading. If you only do it for a short period of time, it's not going to have that much affect on flavor and you've really wasted your time. If you do it for hours, there will be a noticible change in flavor and one can justify mixing it up from time to time.
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,935
    Rep Power
    32
    Here's my next gas grill. I can get down to 220 deg. or up to 1,000 making a separate sear grill unecessary. The ceramic bars surpasses charcoal in vaporization and hickory or other wood chips can be added to a smoker draw for wood flavor. So with those bases covered, I benefit from a rotisserie with infrared.

    Yes it's pricey but cooking and entertaining is a big deal for me and this time of year guests somewhat ignorantly prefer the barbeque. Most of them are so ripped by the time food's served it shouldn't matter to them anyways.

    http://www.bbqguys.com/item_name_DCS...item_9383.html

    Chef Tony, who bears no resemblance to me whatsoever and appears to be half my size, gives a good walk-thru in the video.
    GR lives...

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    It's just like the weber. The top is on two way vent that rotates and opens. The bottom has a draw vent. My draw vent rusted out long ago and I use a piece of aluminum foil to restrict air flow.


    The design precedes the weber and this grill was produced in the 50's. It now can be found in many places. The Big Green Egg is one but they are commonly referred to as Kamado grills.

    Yes, it's actually a hen. You can't have roosters in Portland's city limit.
    You weren't kidding when you said you got a good deal. I saw the same one you have new and it was going for $799. That's some serious coin.
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who donít.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    ChiselCreek
    Posts
    3,990
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    Sometimes I can be cheap and buy the less expensive item simply to save money. However, the last BBQ grill I purchased was a Charbroil from Home Depot and it lasted about 1.5 years before the starter stopped working and slowly fell apart.

    I went on Craigslist and found a barely used Webber Spirit 3-burner Grill that lists at Home Depot for $499. I bought it off a Military guy who no longer needed it for $275. It came with a cover, a propane tank and a rug to put under it. This grill is fantastic and absolutely worth every penny. I would have bought it new if it wasn't for the craigslist ad. It starts up immediately and gets up to 500 degrees in less than 5 minutes. It's so much better than the last grill I purchased that there really is no comparison.

    So, when buying a grill, it may be tempting to buy Kenmoor, Charbroil, etc. but you'll enjoy it more if you buy a Webber. This thing will probably last me 10 years.
    Guys/Girls/AC-DC... Webber grill is the best, I have had it for close to 15 yrs now, Take 1.5 hrs slow-heat to grill chicken and pork, flip meat over every 7-10 minutes, you will have the best BBQ

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    Guys/Girls/AC-DC... Webber grill is the best, I have had it for close to 15 yrs now, Take 1.5 hrs slow-heat to grill chicken and pork, flip meat over every 7-10 minutes, you will have the best BBQ

    How do you do that with charcoal? Do you just put a small amount in and light it and then cover it? Why would you want to cook for 1.5 hours and flip it every 7 minutes? We're civilized human beings, not cavemen.
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who donít.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    ChiselCreek
    Posts
    3,990
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    How do you do that with charcoal? Do you just put a small amount in and light it and then cover it? Why would you want to cook for 1.5 hours and flip it every 7 minutes? We're civilized human beings, not cavemen.
    Weber grill does NOT need charcoal... who the hell are U? caveman? my weber grill uses a propane tank, it has 3 burners, front/back/center... I start out with all 3 burners on high, when it's hot then I put all 3 on low, once all grease stops dripping then I turn off the center burner... just flip your meat every 10 minutes while drinking your Yuengling beer, give it at least one hr and your meat will come out perfect.

    I have an older version of this 3-burner grill without side cooking area

    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=6866

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pacific Dunes, Bandon, OR
    Posts
    5,472
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    You weren't kidding when you said you got a good deal. I saw the same one you have new and it was going for $799. That's some serious coin.
    I had no idea the cost was that high when I found it. I paid for it and was loading it into the back of the car and my wife walked up. Before she had a chance to say a word. I said "its bought and paid for. Shut up and get in the car." Of course she couldn't keep quit. She's happy I didn't listen to her.

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Location, Location.
    Posts
    11,935
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    I had no idea the cost was that high when I found it. I paid for it and was loading it into the back of the car and my wife walked up. Before she had a chance to say a word. I said "its bought and paid for. Shut up and get in the car." Of course she couldn't keep quit. She's happy I didn't listen to her.
    When I want a smokey flavor, for me it takes actual smoking. So I'm thinking of getting the following. I like the idea of having plenty of time and not having to stand there cooking the meat, fish, chicken, etc. while I prepare other things. My club had a huge trailer smoker and the food that came out of that thing was always terrific.
    GR lives...

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    I had no idea the cost was that high when I found it. I paid for it and was loading it into the back of the car and my wife walked up. Before she had a chance to say a word. I said "its bought and paid for. Shut up and get in the car." Of course she couldn't keep quit. She's happy I didn't listen to her.
    Way to talk to your woman Poe!

    P.ussy whipped wimps like NAH and a few others on here could learn a lot on how to handle women from a real man like yourself!
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pacific Dunes, Bandon, OR
    Posts
    5,472
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    Way to talk to your woman Poe!

    P.ussy whipped wimps like NAH and a few others on here could learn a lot on how to handle women from a real man like yourself!
    Thanks kiwi. I have my moments. I figure I was an A-hole when we met so why should I change? For better or worse cuts both ways. I respect her but honestly what do most women know about grills, cars, good movies like caddyshack, etc.?

    BTW - I grampa'd out and sold my Audi S4 sedan for a 2010 A4 wagon. Nice car and it will sit 4 with 4 sets of clubs. The stand out improvement is the bang & Olufsen stereo. About time Audi kicked bose to the curb. Everytime I get in my TT I wish it had the new sound system.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •