|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

OT: haircuts.. how much do you pay, and nightmare stories...

I am busy, so I must be brief...

I have paid $32 for my haircut every 4-6 weeks for the last 13 years at the same place, and with the same chick who owns her own salon...

Nightmare story: my dad took me to a barbershop for my first hair cut outside of home here in San Francisco, when I was 7 years old...

The wrinkled old bastard shaved me down good, and somehow gave me a rash that made my ears and neck red for a week... My ears looked big, and I was called "Ears" on the dodgeball field, and I was so goodness gracious embarrassed...

That haircut was psychological trauma for me, and I have never recovered... I am happy with my beautiful haircut, and I know what I am getting, even if it costs $32 plus tip...

1. How much do you pay to have your hair cut?
    2. Do you have a nightmare haircutting story?

spanked

I have been getting my hair cut in the same place since I was about seven it costs me about £8 = around $13 but there hasn't been any nightmare stories.

$16 at a place called Big League Haircuts get me a haircut, shampoo, my own tv on ESPN, and a vibrating massager on my back and neck for 3 or 4 minutes. Either one of two girls that work there cut it. They're both pretty average to look at, but I couldn't let a guy do the massage thing.

Worst memory was getting my haircut at Misawa Airforce Base in Japan when I was 5 years old. I picked my nose while a Japanese lady was cutting my hair. She slapped my hand and yelled something at me. Pissed my dad off pretty bad. She got fired and I still pick my nose to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by spanked

The wrinkled old bastard shaved me down good, and somehow gave me a rash that made my ears and neck red for a week... My ears looked big, and I was called "Ears" on the dodgeball field, and I was so goodness gracious embarrassed...

That haircut was psychological trauma for me, and I have never recovered...

spanked
    Now we're getting somewhere. Spank, you must leave the past in the past. You must also realize that children can be cruel and thoughtless. We now know what you're running FROM on these 13.324 mile runs. There's no need to run. You are not living in a child's world anymore. There is no need to take attention from your ears by directing it toward your calves. And, is this "gripper" a psychological metaphore? Are you trying to grasp tightly, and control your environment? It's time, Spank, to release the hurt from years ago and stop letting it define you. You can be valid, despite your ears, your haircut, and even despite other people's perception of you. Stop trying to control everything around you, and learn to control what you can control-- yourself. Let us in, Spank. Repeat to yourself... "I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And dog-gone-it, people like me.

Good luck, buddy.
    Please, just call me Schemp...

My son and I have been skipping from place to place trying to find a decent cheap-o haircut. We've both been getting hacked up pretty badly. I pay $25 for both haircuts, so I can't really complain. I figure sooner or later we'll find a place that will be cheap and give a decent haircut.

I used to pay $26 plus tip at a salon. I always got a nice cut, and the stylist was ultra-hot. She had beautiful, natural cans that I'd perpetually dream of handling. I just got sick of paying $30 for a haircut every three weeks. I have better things to spend my cash on...like strip clubs.
    I keeps it real.

$0 or the cost of the clippers.
    I wear my hair so tight that I forgo an establishment and do it on my own. A $25 set up will last about 2 years before the blades need replacing.

A haircut for me is 15CDN dollars.

My hairstylist once won an "Alice Cooper Look-a-Like Contest".

From time to time, i think about fondling his breasts. But only once in a while.

Paying more than 15 bucks for a haricut is ridiculous. It takes 15 minutes, and if it doesn't, shave the mullet and save some cash. Think about it. If it takes them 20 dollars to cut your hair in 15 minutes, that's 80 bucks an hour. I know lawyers that charge less.

I bet the mob is on on Cutting establishments. I betcha.

R35
    "35 on the front, 50 on the back....I love this game."

I pay nothing, my aunt on my mom's side cuts hair, and so does my uncle on my dad's yay for me i can spend that money on golf sandals

I pay $22CDN at a salon. The guy has been cutting my hair for about 20 years now, and his business is well-respected in the community, so I figure that price isn't too bad for a guy of his caliber as opposed to a franchise chain.

i bought a pair of clippers at target for $15 and have cut my own hair for 2 years.

i can hook myself up with a nice fade.

this allows me to keep it clean because i can cut it anytime i want.

Quote Originally Posted by nikkidad
    $0 or the cost of the clippers.
    I wear my hair so tight that I forgo an establishment and do it on my own. A $25 set up will last about 2 years before the blades need replacing.
    I am a clipper freak. Don't buy new blades, sharpen your old ones. Buy a flat stone and do it by hand. I do mine even when new as they are never perfect from the mfg. Trust me it makes a night and day difference.

Quote Originally Posted by lendaddy
    I am a clipper freak. Don't buy new blades, sharpen your old ones. Buy a flat stone and do it by hand. I do mine even when new as they are never perfect from the mfg. Trust me it makes a night and day difference.
    Oddly enough I do the same thing. I stay away from cigarette lighters too. Two sticks and some elbow grease will get the job done.
    I keeps it real.

Quote Originally Posted by buddha33
    Oddly enough I do the same thing. I stay away from cigarette lighters too. Two sticks and some elbow grease will get the job done.
    It's not a cheap thing, I bet I have >$1k in shaving crap from trying to find a good one. What I found was sharpening the blades results in much better performance than installing new ones. When a new blade is made they first grind it in then they have it hardened. When you harden the steel it will warp slightly. The new blades are not reground after hardening as it is much more difficult and they figure "good enough". If you take 15-20 minutes on a wetstone you will see how much better they are.

Quote Originally Posted by lendaddy
    It's not a cheap thing, I bet I have >$1k in shaving crap from trying to find a good one.
    Doesn't this defeat the purpose of cutting your own hair?
    I keeps it real.

Quote Originally Posted by buddha33
    Doesn't this defeat the purpose of cutting your own hair?
    I don't cut my own hair. I use it on my face instead of shaving. Shaving irritates the heck out of my skin so I use very precise trimmer with my own custom sharpened blades so it is real close. The result is a pretty close "shave" without irritation.

You are so correct about dull clipper blades. I bring my clipper to work and hone it on a tri- stone.

I use the clippers to keep the hair around my garbage in check. After I put a good edge on the clippers I am able to shave a heart pattern, lightning bolt, or even a drag strip on my crotch area. I need to keep this hair in check because I have a little bunny rabbit tattoo on the flat front of my groin and I like it to be visible. When I get a good heart shaped shave and my bunny is visible I feel positively sassy. SASSY!

Try it Spanked, you'll love the sexy sensations.

Monty, I see you as more of a "rally stripes" kind of guy. I don't know what a tri-stone is but I'll assume it's for you knives? Do you giggle when your customers bite into their meals with a knife sharpened in your junk-juice?

I pay $25 to a gal who has been cutting my hair for 20 years. Its worth every penny.....

10.00 every three weeks, thats my story and I am sticking to it.
    God Bless
    Be Kind To Animals

Namvet66

My sister-in-law cuts my hair now for free :)

In 1987 I spent a forgettable summer working in Seaside Heights, NJ, co-habiting with 12 other Irish dudes. You can only but imagine the state we left the place come Labour Day en route back to Ireland. Lots of beer and take-out food and not much by way of hygiene. Anyway, one day I got a haircut from a complete "Salon" babe. It cost me a lot (?? $20 back then) but she was worth it ;-)! Anyhow, that night after several beers I happened to mention to the throng that had gathered for a "post bar experience", that the haircut that had been administered to me several hours earlier could have been a bit shorter. Step forward a girlfriend of one of the guys I was living with. Helena was Irish, from Dublin and fairly ugly from memory, but I digress. She claimed that she had spent 2 years working in a hairdressers and she could "sort me out". it seemed like too good an offer to turn down. A couple of minutes later she was busy with the electric clippers. She claimed afterwards that she thought she had the #4 guard on, but when I went to have a look in the mirror I was aghast to see that I had a major freeway running down the middle of my head like a reverse mohawk.

Of course everyone was rolling round the floor in laughter. My brother was there, and he was about the only one that was sober, so we made haste to the bathroom, where he proceeded to shave my head. Needless to say he's never done it before so I came out looking like a convict from yesteryear, a rogue cue ball. I spent the rest of the Summer wearing a NY Yankees hat and was known from that point forward as "Yankee", despite the fact that I know absolutely nothing about baseball. Baseball is like cricket. You have to be an avid fan, otherwise just catch the edited highlights!!

Now for the lessons:

Never spend big money on a haircut just to ogle a babe
    Never agree to letting anyone near you with anything sharp after more than 5 beers
    Buy an unbranded cap in the case of emergencies, or worst case go for a Brewery cap
    Never waste a summer in Seaside Heights in slave labour, should have been called SleezeSide Shites. Right now I'm giving it the Bird!!

Irish, me man. Yankee, you are not. I picture you as more ol' school. Boston BREWERS!

I also invested in a pair of clippers and I cut my own hair. I can't fade myself...rather, I probably could most of the time, but I rue the one time I screw it up...so I go to a shop for a $12 fade once a month or month and a half, and then just cut myself every week till the fade is gone.

Bad story: Once when I was buzzing my hair off for hockey, I accidently shaved off half my right eyebrow. To this day, I have no idea how that happened, but as a result I had to shave both of them down. I spent the next two months looking like a freak till they grew back in (thank God they did).

Quote Originally Posted by spanked
    I am busy, so I must be brief...

I have paid $32 for my haircut every 4-6 weeks for the last 13 years at the same place, and with the same chick who owns her own salon...

Nightmare story: my dad took me to a barbershop for my first hair cut outside of home here in San Francisco, when I was 7 years old...

That haircut was psychological trauma for me, and I have never recovered... I am happy with my beautiful haircut, and I know what I am getting, even if it costs $32 plus tip...

1. How much do you pay to have your hair cut?
    2. Do you have a nightmare haircutting story?

spanked

I get my haircut at some place called the "Kabul salon". About a year and a half a go, a new guy came to work there. He'd done my hair and was then shaving off the straggly bits with a cut-throat. At that stage he asked me where I was from...I said Scotland. Being polite, I returned the question.

"Iraq", he said. So, there I was, sitting in an Abu Dhabi backstreet with an Iraqi holding a cut-throat at my neck. At the same time we were bombing the gonads out of his country. I kid you not.

Thankfully, the guy was a refugee and was/still is grateful for the invasion. He has numerous stories of friends and family members disappearing...then days later parcels of their clothes being returned by the "security services". The clothes would be blood-stained and were designed to act as a reminder to "keep in line".

Oh, and it costs around $5 including tip. in fact, most of that is tip.

Quote Originally Posted by KiltedArab
    I get my haircut at some place called the "Kabul salon". About a year and a half a go, a new guy came to work there. He'd done my hair and was then shaving off the straggly bits with a cut-throat. At that stage he asked me where I was from...I said Scotland. Being polite, I returned the question.

"Iraq", he said. So, there I was, sitting in an Abu Dhabi backstreet with an Iraqi holding a cut-throat at my neck. At the same time we were bombing the gonads out of his country. I kid you not.

Thankfully, the guy was a refugee and was/still is grateful for the invasion. He has numerous stories of friends and family members disappearing...then days later parcels of their clothes being returned by the "security services". The clothes would be blood-stained and were designed to act as a reminder to "keep in line".

Oh, and it costs around $5 including tip. in fact, most of that is tip.
    With a blade at my throat, I think I'd tip even more...

Chicken man

$18 every 3 weeks. And the conversation's good. A barber shop for men and women (NOT "foo-foo she-she" in the owner's parlance) owned by a husband and wife tag team, with three other girls who help out. The kids are a cheap cut too, at about $12 a shot. SO, my two boys and I get a cut for $50 with tip.

When I grew up, tho, my ex-marine corps sgt dad took me to another vet who owned a shop around the corner from us. He was a few cents short of a dollar, and we used to call him "chicken man" because he would do these total non-sequitor "cock-a-doodle-doos" in the middle of the haircut. Colorful. Scary, but colorful.

Come to think of it, my dentist back then also had a screw or two loose. He refused to use anesthetics--I'm talking no novacaine here--when he was drilling your teeth. He used the old "lemme know if it starts to hurt and I'll stop" routine. When I was 15 he hit a nerve while he was tunnelling away--a new experience in pain, lemme tell you. I got him back though. The recoil in my neck broke the headpiece off of the chair. Totally ripped it out by the screws. He had to buy a whole new chair, I'm told. I never went back.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott K
    $18 every 3 weeks. And the conversation's good. A barber shop for men and women (NOT "foo-foo she-she" in the owner's parlance) owned by a husband and wife tag team, with three other girls who help out. The kids are a cheap cut too, at about $12 a shot. SO, my two boys and I get a cut for $50 with tip.

When I grew up, tho, my ex-marine corps sgt dad took me to another vet who owned a shop around the corner from us. He was a few cents short of a dollar, and we used to call him "chicken man" because he would do these total non-sequitor "cock-a-doodle-doos" in the middle of the haircut. Colorful. Scary, but colorful.

Come to think of it, my dentist back then also had a screw or two loose. He refused to use anesthetics--I'm talking no novacaine here--when he was drilling your teeth. He used the old "lemme know if it starts to hurt and I'll stop" routine. When I was 15 he hit a nerve while he was tunnelling away--a new experience in pain, lemme tell you. I got him back though. The recoil in my neck broke the headpiece off of the chair. Totally ripped it out by the screws. He had to buy a whole new chair, I'm told. I never went back.
    Scotty, your a brave soul...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger'scousintwiceremoved
    Scotty, your a brave soul...
    Actually, after re-reading it, ya gotta wonder if my dad really liked me. Maybe he knew something...?

Thread Information